User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 5)

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 174 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 74% of those users who reviewed Citalopram reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

Katiec2141 · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

“I'm on day 3 of taking citalopram medication for my anxiety, the first two days I felt calmer had the odd side effects nausea runs dry mouth difficulty falling asleep. But day 3 I've felt anxious ( all day ) this is a side effect the doctor did tell me to expect things to get worse before they get better I'm hoping things look up and I can free the anxiety”

Anonymous March 22, 2018

“I have been on lots of anti depressants and this one is the best. I still feel like a human and my anger towards everything disappears. I always turn back to this medicine cause a lot of others ones I've tried in the past give me a blur in life. It's like feeling as if I'm just passing through life and not realizing the things that happens. One thing I will say is that this medicine doesn't let me get emotional much. I don't feel much emotions like sadness. Which is good for me cause I have anxiety and depression and I worry too much and this helps me out a lot. Hope this helps!!”

Brittany101010101 January 11, 2016

“Okay, so I started citilopram about 2-3 months ago. Because I started off having bad anxiety attacks, and I didn't even know what they were till I got diagnosed with the mental illness, and a few weeks after that, came along depression. And both of them, were always getting me down, they also took a big chunk out of me. Like they made me feel down about myself. Made me feel suicidal. And stuff, so my mom and I finally decided to see the doctor and get the medication called "citalopram" and it was the best thing that I ever got onto, is it hard to quit? Yes. Because the effects of not taking the pill, is like you feel down, thoughts come running through your head, suicidal like I said. Etc, so anyways, I highly recommend this medication.”

Pdunky · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2020

“Tried Prozac, paxil, etc... Was given celexa as another option for a little depression but mostly anxiety. Started off great... Sex drive was back... Felt positive. Then j started doing reckless things like spending money and partying. I thought I was in control but I felt like I was on autopilot but couldn't take control and I'd watch myself turn into an addict. Took 6 months before I finally had enough and stopped taking it. Things are returned to normal but it's been 2 years. I'm so much better without. It works, but say goodbye to impulse control.”

sillygirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

“This is my 10th day on citalopram which I am taking it for anxiety. The first 7 days I was taking 10 mg dose and am now taking 20 mg. My side effects seem to vary from night to morning. At night I have trouble sleeping and have night sweats, then in the morning I feel very drowsy and tried and nauseous. I also seem to be having hot flashes during the day and at night, not sure if anyone else has these, or maybe it's just stress related. I really hope this medication starts to work soon, as I have read other posts and everyone says to hanging in there and it will get better, I sure hope it does.”

Fiatastic January 16, 2016

“I struggled with depression and panic attacks for most of my life. Three years ago I was so paranoid I had started hallucinating. I saw my doctor and was prescribed Citalopram along with therapy. My severe depression has gone, no more paranoia and no more panic attacks. So it has helped enormously with day to day life and work. Unfortunately I feel my 'mood' never changes, I don't have happy or sad days, just one long stretch of average days. I find it difficult to cry when I know it would be beneficial. I find I have no motivation to do anything...presumably due to nothing making me feel any different. My sex drive drive has gone, as has the ability to orgasm.”

kimbo16 February 14, 2012

“I've been on 10mg of citalopram for just over 2 wks and I noticed a huge difference after 5 days! I was put on them for generalised anxiety as I couldn't get in my car and drive on my own after passing my test in Nov 10. The 1st few days I didnt feel 'all there', dizzy and sick and yawned like mad, its wore off a bit now, I'm sleeping better, have lost 3 pounds since taking them, feel better in myself and my driving and confidence is getting better by the day! I've also suffered with depression after losing my dad 16 mnths ago and the doc seems to think the anxiety has stemmed from that. I would take these just before bed as otherwise you can't sleep, but they are great! I'm happy anyway.”

Anonymous January 23, 2011

Celexa (citalopram): “Citalopram has given me my life back. I was nervous, panicky, overwhelmed by thoughts, feeling vulnerable, at times even agrophobic and like I couldn't cope. Now I would describe myself as fairly confident, happy and self-assured. I still have some bad days but generally Citalopram has made all the difference. I have also had therapy and joined classes such as confidence building and positivity. These classes have also made a significant difference to me. No real side effects from citalopram either, except dry mouth and feeling thirsty - which really isn't a problem.”

Zoe1051 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2017

“I started taking 20mg 2 months ago and I noticed a difference after the first week. My issues stemmed from overly panicking about everything and crying hysterically whenever anything small went wrong with my relationship. Soon as the medication started to work I developed more independence. I struggled to cry (I could cry... but after crying a bit, my body/brain stopped me from being able to cry hysterically like I used to). I also found that I cared more about myself and not silly arguments I was having with my partner. Since the medication has worked, if we argue, I'm calm and I realise my worth so much more. I would definitely recommend this medication to anyone who panics or cries unnecessarily. I've had no trouble sleeping ever either”

Tony · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2018

“After 8 weeks side effects have reduced . Energy levels have increased weekly . Take 10 mg in the morning and it has made a big difference. My worry and anxiety have gone and I'm enjoying life. It’s great to enjoy the moment without constant anxiety I should of done it 35 years ago as I was trying to manage life without help . Bad mistake. I get mild effects like tiredness but it manageable as the advantages far outweigh any negatives”

williamsmom · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2016

“I have been prescribed Citalopram for the 4th time but have started my dose at only 5mg as I get so many bad side effects but the good news is, this is this really works 100% for me once I get used to it! I only wish I had not listened to my doctor who kept tapering me off it but always gave me Zopiclone or Lorazepam to help, only my new GP won't give me either so this is tough right now. Only on day 3 but remember how I was able to lead a completely normal life once the medication worked. A small price to pay in the end have been ill for almost a year now trying different medication but decided it was tie to go with the one that truly works despite how horrible the start up effects might be .”

Tony pepperoni · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“I take 10 mg every morning and after 2 weeks of horrible side effects. Sweating , nausea and general lethargy the good effects are starting to kick in . Feel really good energy levels increasing , anxiety has reduced dramatically. Please please do not allow the initial side effects deter you. Pain does led to Gain ”

cbur7 January 11, 2016

“I started this medication for depression, panic attacks, and social anxiety disorder. I felt the benefits on day 2 of starting it, and now (10 days later) I think it has been a miracle for me! I feel genuinely happy, and things that used to cause me strong anxiety are rolling off my shoulder like they're nothing. I don't feel like it has changed who I am, but simply made me a better version of myself. I would give this Rx 10 stars, but I do experience some mild side effects occasionally: nausea, headache, pupil dilation, drowsiness, loss of appetite, teeth grinding. Also, I am on 20mg but feel like it wears off in the afternoon. I am going to talk to Dr. about increasing dosage.”

Gardener September 16, 2018

“I had very bad panic attacks and anxiety after a bad time in my life. I couldn't get out of bed for weeks, felt panicked constantly, short of breath, chest pains, shakiness, aching shoulders and chest, eventually I went to the doctors. I was immediately put on 10mg of citalopram. I had side effects for several weeks but then eventually I felt ok, stable but not great, I got the odd relapse if I were in a shop /social environment and had to fight it somehow, so I upped the dosage to 20mg. I felt much better, but you're always aware that you may have a sudden turn. A year on and I've now upped it to 25mg as I still feel a its still a tiny bit there, some good and some not quite good days. Overall I can function pretty well in most situations, it seems to go away at its best if I keep busy, work etc. for now I'm keeping ok and managing it, a huge difference from a year ago, tell people you have this condition as it helps. I'll keep you all posted ”

Basiaka August 24, 2017

“I take Citalopram for anxiety and depression. Before I started taking it, I had daily panic attacks and could not function very well. I've been on it now for four months. I highly recommend this medicine. My panic attacks have gone down to weekly. My dad starting taking it too and it helps him as well for bad depression. I started at 10mg. I took that for two months and now I'm doing great on 20mg. You may have some side effects at first, BUT everyone I know who had taken it has not had long lasting side effects. Two weeks or so is about it.”

Luvlif · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2018

“Please do not give up on this med due to side effects. I felt really awful for the first 3 weeks, my anxiety got worse. Had a fuzzy head ache for 5 hours after taking med, I felt terrible. The Dr said it would take 3 months to really take effect. He was correct. As I remember after 5 weeks I could really feel the difference. You can’t evaluate the true benefit of the med for a long time. The side effects gradually go away. I can’t believe there is a med that could help me feel like my old self again. I did not take the full dose at first. I ramped up gradual with time. Stay the course, be patient! If after 5 weeks you don’t feel better you may have to change to another med. If you don’t give it a chance, you can quite and go back to feeling miserable.”

John1%_€ November 22, 2016

“I'm 23 years old and completly normal I suffer from anxiety which started making me feel very down in the dumps ( depressed). I started on 10mg 2 months ago and now feel great a lot more calm and back to my out going self. I suffered from some of the side effects for the first month such as insomnia and dizzyness and my symptoms did worsen at first but stick with it it does calm down in the end”

sweetness09 February 7, 2016

“I've had generalized anxiety disorder for about 3 years,I had it under control until 8 months ago, stressing about money and school. My anxiety has been horrible, feeling like I'm dying all the time, thinking I'm having a heart attack, feeling so confused and lost, I've hit rock bottom. I went to the Dr and I was prescribed Prozac 40 mg I ended up in the ER because dosage was too high. The Dr then prescribed me citalopram 20mg which I have not taken. I am very fearful of medications now, I wont even take Tylenol. I read reviews that its great and the worst medication, I'm very confused now, I've tried dealing for mnths on my own trying herbal teas and vitamins, Nothing seems to help me...I don't know what else to do I can't go on living like this”

Sps11 February 2, 2015

“I have had anxiety and OCD for as long as I can remember. I have also been on tons of SSRI medications (Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Cymbalta, etc). Celexa (Citalopram) has been amazing! I currently take 40 mg after starting on 20 and have been on it for about a year now. My mood is so much better, my anxiety is almost completely gone and I can now do things that I never could before such as going out and socializing with people without reservations or panic attacks. I have some side effects, the two main ones being some weight gain (about 15-20 pounds) and difficulty achieving climax at times. Considering how much this medicine has allowed me to "live again," I can deal with these side effects.”

Pediatric Celexa Patient April 2, 2015

“16 years old. Therapist and I decided to turn to medication after 6 months in therapy had little effect. I was prescribed 10mg citalopram, which we tapered up to from 5mg. After only 2 days had passed on the 5mg dose, it was already having positive effects; it stopped me from having a panic attack when I normally would have. It's been a week, and each passing day my anxiety is lessened as well as some of the underlying depression. I have had side effects though; slight headaches, nausea some drowsiness (especially after taking a dose) and some of the worst heartburn ever. It's only been speedbumps in my normal day, though.”

Azmom89 April 5, 2017

“I finally was brave enough to start this medication for bad anxiety, panic attacks. I have become limited on where I go. Finally so exhausted from pushing myself just to go to the grocery store......I gave in and took 10mg Saturday night. Took just half of a .25 mg xanax with it. Just in case of side effects. Surprisingly nothing bad has happened yet. I know it will take time for then to take effect. And hoping they will soon help. Tonight will be my 4th pill. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck ”

Mj · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2018

“So after an incident on a night out after which I had a panic attack, I somehow ended up having panic attacks constantly and could never not feel my heart beating in my chest which was really put me off sleeping. Everything made me anxious and I became dissociated and couldn’t sleep. Five months down the line without any progress and I decided I needed intervention so was put on 10mg. First week I felt sick and even more hyper anxious. But three months in and I feel great. I’m more focussed, my heart has calmed down, I feel confident doing all the things I did before. All the side effects went within the first month :)”

MatthewMclean July 16, 2018

“Overall the 40mg tablet of Citalopram has been very helpful with GAD and related depression. I was originally on the 20mg and around 12 months ago had my dose increased to 40mg. My symptoms have decreased significantly from what I would call fairly strong GAD and my mood improved overall to a very stable level. I found in the first weeks and months adjusting to the medication there were episodes of anger unrelated to anything happening in my life, which can be unsettling but it does pass. There were also times when I had general lethargy, almost like the flu, which only lasted 4-5 days. I would also add there was a strangeness to some of my thoughts. If anyone goes through something like that, don't worry it will eventually settle down! The Citalopram also helps reduce the impact of certain negative thoughts. I find it easier to lessen their hold on me and as a result a cycle or episode of anxiety doesn't kick off. Good luck with it all!”

Dolphin6789 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2013

“Made me feel really numb emotionally as well as sexually... I felt like I couldn't cry or be anxious anymore but I couldn't laugh, really be happy or feel passion for life anymore. Please be careful if you decide to go off this medication as you will probably feel strange electrical-like buzzy feelings in your brain as I did. They last a few days but were every unnerving and I sometimes felt like I was going to pass out.. So be sure you don't go cold turkey. It did work for me in that it gave me a break from my obsessions, sadness, worries. And it did so for a long time. ”

AluminumBlue · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2016

“I have been on Citalopram for just over two months now, I have noticed a HUGE difference. I went from being depressed and wishing my whole existence away every night to "going to bed with a smile on my face" basically. I spend a lot more time with my family, I get out a lot more, and I am much more motivated. I have not noticed a change in anxiety though...”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder