User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

Wabesabe · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 26, 2020

“Celexa does virtually nothing for my OCD. I'm looking for another medication for this condition.”

JH · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

“I suffered from moderate OCD since childhood (62 now). I can control but sometimes it gets the best of me and I need medication. In past years, I was prescribed Xanax as needed. I began having increased anxiety again in May. My doctor suggested citalopram once a day for long term therapy. After one week of 10mg, I literally forgot what why I was anxious. OCD creates irrational thoughts and I can't stop thinking of it which spawns anxiety. It's a horrible helpless feeling. The citalopram broke my irrational thought cycles. My side effects were mild. I began taking it in the morning, but after an hour, I felt somewhat woozy and tired. I tried taking at night before bed and I began having very weird dreams. No nightmares, but odd dreams that made me a bit uncomfortable that such things are lurking about in my psyche. I now take it about 6pm and really have no side effects. I felt I should communicate my experience so people won't get the impression that nobody gets positive results.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

“Taken the drug citalopram for 2 and a half weeks, never again the drug made me worse”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 21, 2019

“I got citalopram for OCD as well as some other stuff at age 16. Prozac and another medication did not work for me, but celexa helped me with no side effects. I am on the highest dose after 4 years of taking it and it does a pretty good job keeping the mental illness in its place. It was a very good stepping stone for me without the awful side effects of the other SSRIs I took :)”

Rosepp · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

“I was completely over living before taking this drug. My anxiety, depression and OCD were so overpowering I just wanted it to end. I tried loads of different antidepressants before this that did nothing. I remember obsessively reading these reviews praying that this would work for me and it did. I started on 10mg and felt slightly better, then up to 20mg but as soon as I went up to 30mg I was pretty much cured. This took about 12 weeks to fully kick in and when it did I felt like my old self, no panic attacks, no anxiety, no depression and my OCD is about 90% better. This drug literally saved my life. Unfortunately I developed RLS but I would take that any day over the hell that was once my life. I’m so, so, so grateful for this medication. Please just take your meds and if this one doesn’t work for you I promise there is one that will, please don’t give up.”

Gavin July 3, 2018

“I take Citalopram, but before I took it I had bad OCD, I'd make the bed as soon as I wake up even when people are in it. Washing hands for a long time. Doing everything 3 times in the shower. Brushing teeth twice in the morning and three times at night. And now I don’t do that anymore besides making my bed. I used to have anxiety and now it’s all away.”

Sneff · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2017

“I was put on citalopram when I was 9 years old, and I am now 25. It was prescribed to me to help with panic attacks, OCD, and a phobia. According to my parents, the medication was effective within a week. I am not really sure if I have ever experienced side effects because of how young I was when I started. Citalopram greatly helps suppress panic attacks and intrusive thoughts for me. Instead of having panic attacks every day, now I only have them once every few months. Along with this medication, I also spent over a decade in therapy. Attempts to stop taking this medication caused anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and panic to interfere with my daily life. Citalopram works well for me, but results vary from person to person.”

Lall2007 February 19, 2017

“I took these for 3 days and felt completely out of it and utterly paranoid and much more depressed than before taking them. I had previously been on Sertraline which side effects only lasted a day for me and were pretty successfull long term. Citalopram did not agree with me at all and I feel I would have to go on sick from work to let them settle for which I have heard could be up to 5 weeks! Other symptoms I endured: not being able to eat for 3 days, diarhhea, buzzing in legs and arms, paranoia, zero interest in anything, being stuck in my thoughts (not where you want to be when depressed). I admit 3 days is not near enough time to allow it to settle but I would be jeapordizing my job by continuing this medication.”

Heisenberg1100 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2016

“This is one of the worst drugs I have ever tried. I was on 60 mg and I don't recommend to go above 40 mg if you have bipolar it made me feel like a zombie and confused don't know whether I was happy or normal no emotions also gave me terrible vivid dreams every single day and thats bad and did nothing for my OCD but it may work for you I just gave my experience.”

SexuallyDysfunctionalinSeattle · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2016

“Not a hit with me, I'm afraid. Prescribed for my depression (doctor neglected to ask about any further symptoms and I was too embarrassed to share about my intrusive thoughts at the time). Caused some serious ticks including constant yawning, restless leg and twitching eye. I was twitching so badly I couldn't get to sleep, and I was exhausted constantly while on it (I was up for 3 days once!) The worst part was probably the severe sexual dysfunction, which, a year on, is still lingering around like a bad smell. I still struggle with physical pleasure, and to stay mentally and emotionally engaged in sex. It did dull my depression and intrusive thoughts to some extent, but it also dulled everything else. UK based, so prescribed by NHS GP”

hhjk178 · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2016

“I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks and I feel relief already from my OCD symptoms (Pure O). The intrusive thoughts are significantly less already. The only side effect I am having is poor sleep. I wake up frequently or feel half asleep all night. Finally, I slept for a full night last night. Lexapro did not work for me, so they decided to try Celexa instead. Starting at 10mg. I am much less anxious.”

Shib June 21, 2016

“I went on paxil 20 mg for severe ocd. It was too much and I had bad side effects. Then clomipramine 250 mg which worked great. Came off and needed something cheaper. Today marks week 2 of being on citalopram and honestly everyday I feel better for longer. I still have my moments of anxiety but it went from 80% to 20% at most. It won't let me have a full blow panic attack. Also helped immensely with disassociation due to panic. And please remember, you can read all the reviews you want but your experience will be different. Please go to your doctor and start trying. Give it at least six weeks. Good luck! And remember loves try to stop googling.. it usually makes things worse.”

CheckLess April 25, 2016

“I suffered from severe panic attacks and OCD, particularly checking. I have been on 20 mg of Celexa for 7 years and am a new person. I have never had a side effect and handle stress with ease. I still engage in some "checking," but have been panic attack-free and lost many of my other OCD behaviours.”

Anonymous December 10, 2015

“I have chronic anxiety and OCD which means I am super routine and a hairstylist to make things even better lol I have been on citalipram now for 4 months after a widespread of other meds Lets just say I can leave dishes in the sink over night and not sweep that little piece of hair in the corner Side effects... I get a max of 5 hrs sleep a night, my brain tends to have more squirrel moments but we seem to have then under control”

micky2015 November 26, 2015

“This made my anxiety worse.”

Nanny67 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2015

“I have had anxiety/OCD for as long as I can remember. OCD seemed to come at day different times in my life and in different forms. My last episode 2011/2012 was very paralyzing. I had what I have seen described online as hit/run OCD. I won't go into length and description but you could google it. I was ready to commit myself but then my PCP convinced me to try a regimen of meds. I started out on 10mg of Celexa gradually moving to 40mg, Estrogen (hysterectomy) and .5 mg of Xanax up to three times per day. For the first 3/5 months I took the meds but using the Xanax at .25mg twice daily. I began to notice that things were becoming so much better. Today, 2015, still same meds but Xanax maybe 2/4 times a month and life is great.”

PM4ever February 18, 2015

“After going through a series of tragic events I was clinically depressed. My doctor put me on Citalopram for the depression. I also told him that I thought I was also obsessive/compulsive since I just couldn't turn my brain off from going over negative events. I felt like I was going insane. He said that the Citalopram was also good for O/C disorder. Although I don't usually like taking medication (don't even like to take an aspirin when I have a headache) I have found Citalopram to literally be a life saver. I have not had any side effects whatsoever. I work 14 hour days in the film industry and this medicine does not make me tired. I take 20 mg at night.”

ktodary1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2014

“I have PURE obsessive compulsive disorder and I switched from Prozac after 13 years to citalopram and I started with 10 mg for 5 days then 20 mg and at the beginning I was having side effects like unable to sleep but after 2 weeks it kicked in and I feel back to normal and it saved my life and a few obsession but I can control it, I would recommend this medicine.”

LaylaH585 January 26, 2014

“After having unsuccessfully tried Prozac, I was apprehensive about how effective Citalopram was going to be. It definitely takes a while (for me five weeks) before you notice the benefits, and I had the common side effect of severe nausea for the first few weeks. I don't want to wax lyrical but I can honestly say that it changed my life, I felt that the issues that I experienced which made everything seemingly impossible were no longer such a problem. I started to be able to live a normal life again, and felt a greater sense of control over the way I felt and acted. I would count it as one of the best decisions that I have ever made.”

Ash-234 January 6, 2014

“I had struggled with anxiety for over ten years. After having my second daughter I went through a bout of post partum depression and obsessive thoughts. I truly didn't know how bad it was until I started taking Celexa. I feel like a new person. The constant worry, thinking and obsessing has stopped! For anyone resisting medication I would recommend trying it. I has truly improved my life! I also had little side effects expect for a bit of fatigue in the first few weeks. I take 30mg a day.”

Momocita August 11, 2013

“I'm using this for my OCD and panic attacks. I've been on it for 3 weeks and I haven't had any panic attacks and as my OCD it helped. I'm only on 10mg and I have no side effects. This is a good antidepressant.”

Joshua Michael · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 11, 2013

“I have been on 40mg of this medication for several years now and it has worked very well in treating my Obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and panic disorders. Over the past 6 or so months, however, I've noticed it had become less effective and I eventually experienced the "pop out" effect. I am still taking it until I can see a psychiatrist, but the past few weeks have been agonizing. Overall, I would recommend it as an effective medication with very few side effects. It's just too bad it didn't last longer for me.”

tdsantoro February 23, 2012

“This medicine saved my life, if I could rate this medicine 67890987656789 billion. I would. It was the first medicine I've ever had to take on a daily basis (I'm 13) and it was a hit.”

Anonymous February 8, 2011

“I've been on this medication for a little over two years and it's been great. It has had very few side effects for me, as opposed to Prozac (fluoxetine). Unfortunately, however, it's been losing its effectiveness as my body grows more and more immune to it, and if I miss taking a dose for one day, I have withdrawals, which is why I give this medication an 8.”

Anonymous April 30, 2010

Celexa (citalopram): “Works very well for me. I currently take 20mg.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder