User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Citalopram

Jvicy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

“I’ve been taking citalopram for just over a month to hwlp my panic disorder. I have only just started taking 20 mg, and so far I have noticed a decrease in anxiety (just from taking 10 mg) but the main reason I wanted to write this review is to let you know I had pretty much no side effects. I know people are put off from medication in fear of side effects but I didn’t have any. I think I may have had 1 or 2 depersonalized days but that’s it. That being said, I know everyone reacts differently, but for people not taking it because of side effects, they may not be bad, you’ll never know until you try. You just have to bite the bullet and try it. It’s worth it.”

That’s not my name · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

“YOU WILL GET BETTER. Before Christmas I had a couple of panic attacks which were horrible and scared me. Went to docs was put on sertraline which was horrible awful drug. Made me feel like I was cracking up and was so anxious about everything and not sleeping at all. Worst feeling I’ve had in my life and I’m a 40 year old male. So after a month changed it to citalopram . Felt loads better took 20mg for a few months. Managed to go on holiday , got back went up to 30mg citalopram - game changer. Now feel great , citalopram has helped me so much get out a scary place. Like I say on the up now , been on holiday , new career. Enjoying life again Thank you”

Davie · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

“I am currently in limbo about starting citalopram for panic disorder. I was prescribed propranolol (40mg) to take one tablet up to three times if need be. I only started taking one, and had to stop because they where making me ill. Couldn't sleep head aches which made me lie down all the time. So I stopped taking them. But instead of just having anxiety I felt totally worthless, emotional and feeling like I didn't want to be here anymore. Lucky for me I had my wife and family by my side every step of the way. So I went back to my GP in which he prescribed me citalopram (10mg) to be taking every morning. But I only opened the box and read the leaflet. So for four days now I've been bricking it to take them because I've got it in my head I'll will get all the side effects. But after reading about ten comments on here I am going to start them tomorrow. I will post again in a few weeks and hopefully got some positive feedback. Stay safe.”

Becky March 9, 2020

“2020 and my anxiety and panic is back with a vengeance! Think this was down to being told that I had high blood pressure at a fitness assessment. My anxiety has always been triggered by ill health ANYTHING I can control about my body or health. So anyway back to the docs I go he’s put me back on Citalopram 20mg, I’ve been taking one every morning and I’m on day 7 My anxiety and panic seems high, I’m not sleeping great and when I do I wake up covered in sweat! My hands and feet feel constantly clammy. I have had very loose bowel movements, loss of appetite, terrible dry mouth. And have an awful feeling in my chest like fuzzy and tingling followed by heart flutters. After reading all the reviews on here I am going to solider on with the meds and give them another few weeks to work as I know that the last time I took them they worked wonders for me. Fingers crossed this all comes right.”

Lrosa February 23, 2020

“I had been taking beta blockers for three years trying to push through panic attacks, OCD and anxiety. The beta blockers stopped helping and my anxiety reached a new horrible level. My doctor prescribed citalopram and I was petrified, I was convinced I would have all the side affects. Weeks of not having the courage to take the tablets my doctor prescribed a short course of diazepam to take along side the tablets. I am on 10mg, for the first week I split the tablets in half to 5mg. Once I had started to take the correct dose I had no side effects apart from not being able to sleep for the first three weeks. I have only had a positive experience with this drug, some times I have anxious days but mostly are good. It’s been three months now and I am so happy that I’ve stuck to the drug and I wish I had started them sooner.”

Z · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2020

“I've taking Citalopram for 7 years now for panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I've tried other medications and have quit a few times, but my anxiety and panic always come back and I end up going back to 40mg for relief. It's great medication and the side effects are generally mild and do go away once your body adjusts to it.”

K Jones January 15, 2020

“I've taken citalopram 2 years, 4 months (10mg for 3 months, then 20mg). Be prepared for initial side effects. Some people have none. I had them all. Overall, I like citalopram Lasting side effects are dopiness and tiredness. It’s worth it as they gave me a chance to start loving myself again. Pros: - They lifted depression I didn't know I had. - Thoughts are slower and I catch myself being overly self-critical. - Not as irritable and don't care as much about little things. - Once the side effects stopped, panic was easier to cope with. Cons: - My initial side effects were tough. I pushed through as my panic disorder was just as bad in a different way. It was worth the effort for me, but everyone reacts differently. - Side effects during the first 6 weeks included: Very sweaty feet (weird I know). Heightened anxiety. Emotional numbness. Weird dreams. Feeling like I was losing my mind. DR/DP -Depersonalization-derealization disorder,. - Sex-related problems (vaginal dryness/tightness). - If I miss a pill I feel odd for days.”

soosoo December 21, 2019

“This drug has literally saved my life.”

Jhorn23 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

“If I had a higher rating I would give it to this medicine!!!!! I am now on month 4 and I can say with gladness that I have not only stopped having panic attacks and anxiety attacks, but it’s also regulated my moods!! I LOVE life now. It’s beyond words what this stuff did for me!! I’ve also missed a few doses, and it’s not hurt me any so if you miss a dose or are late for a dose don’t panic it’s not gonna hurt you too bad. I can tell when I miss a dose though because my moods get swinging again. Overall I would give this a 100 out of 10!”

Tiggy · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 1, 2019

“I had this drug 20 years ago when my life was engulfed with severe panic and anxiety 24 hrs a day it saved my life. It broke the circle of thought creating the attacks and gradually they started to get less.”

LilCJ · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“I’m on week 2 of the 10 mg dose and so far haven’t seen any improvement I know it takes a few weeks to work but the side effects suck (shaking, fatigue, nausea, insomnia, loss of appetite). Praying things get better soon cause I can’t afford to lose any more weight and my panic attacks are affecting my work.”

Charles · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

“After developing a pretty severe anxiety/panic disorder after a bad panic attack, my GP recommended I try Citalopram + Therapy to get back on track. I had tried Buspirone, CBD and regular CBT with mixed results. The first 2-3 weeks of Citalopram were awful. Anxiety attacks were way worse, sweating from hands, insomnia, lost 15 lbs, had to stay home from work. Around the middle of week 3 I started to notice a slight improvement during certain times of the day. By week 4 I had gone from slightly agoraphobic to being able to get through an airport and onto a plane. I do feel a little bit zombie like sometimes - and still get bouts of dizziness - but overall after 4 weeks I feel like I went from a 0 to about an 8. Hopefully it continues to improve - just stick with it for at least 3-5 weeks.”

Carebear July 20, 2019

“Celexa making me lazy, is this common in first few weeks?”

Jhorn · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

“*update* I reviewed earlier on 2019-06-14 under the same name I am now on my fourth week of citalopram. Every side effect has essentially faded and has passed. I still get tremors from time to time, but it’s well worth it. I’ve not had a SINGLE panic attack after week one. I am now able to drive by myself because the world isn’t so scary anymore! The Lord and this medicine has helped me TREMENDOUSLY the past month! Please do yourself the favor and take this medicine if you’ve been prescribed it. I am on 20mg and it’s worked wonders for me. Don’t be scared of the side effects either! The worse ones are >.1% of those who took it! Praying for everyone who is suffering from panic attacks and anxiety.”

Jhorn · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

“First of all, this medicine citalopram has been a life changer for me, my dose is 20mg for panic and anxiety disorder. The first week or so was AWFUL! I had sweats, tremors, diarrhea, increased anxiety and panic attacks (the irony). After about day 6 I started noticing a slight change in my mood, and my panic attacks was vanishing. I am now on day 10 and I feel AMAZING!! I’ve not had a panic attack since day 6, and I am sleeping much better than I did before! Please please please DO NOT look up all the side effects of this medicine. I did, and it made me suffer an extra three months than I should have , as I was too scared to start. I promise you will have a changed life on this medicine. All 3 of my siblings take this and we all have had great success with it. Give it a try!”

El · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

“I started taking citalopram for the panic attacks I was experiencing. This has helped me immensely. I did have some side effects in the beginning though. I felt very tired and I had a feeling as if my brain was tingling. It was very strange, but it was easy to deal with in comparison to the panic attacks I was having. I started off with 10mg tabs and was increased to 20mg tabs. I would suggest to give this medicine a try, but you really have to give it time to work. It really helped to regulate my moods and my anxiety.”

anxiousatheart March 26, 2019

“Hi people! I am here to be your hope. I am 27 years old. I've had severe anxiety and panic attacks on and off for 15 years. This time it got the worst it ever has. CONSTANTLY worrying about every single irrational thing, heart always racing, dizzy, could never catch my breath, panic attacks daily, wouldn't leave the house. Literally 5 days ago I was so hopeless and my anxiety had made me extremely depressed. I've only been on citalopram 10 mg for 5 days and today I feel happier and calmer. I feel like life isn't as scary and that it's definitely going to be worth living, and that it will be awesome! My doctor said it can take 2 weeks until I feel the effects but on day 5 I already feel a big difference. I was terrified to start them-and I did feel very tired, spacey and yawned a lot the first few days. But I just rested and waited. You can do it, and you will feel better!!!!!! I'm praying for you all- I know how horrendous anxiety is. I hope this drug works for you. :)”

sunshine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2019

“It takes about 6 months before you will feel the full effects and for your body to acclimate to this drug...not the 1 week to 1 month they say. I was terrified to start this so I began at 5 mg eventually titrating up to 30 mg before it really worked for me. It made me way worse before it started helping. I'm so glad I stuck with it, it does help tremendously. I had severe panic attacks and fear daily and could not function...out of nowhere when I turned 40. I'm so thankful for this medication, I tried everything natural first but it did not help. Please do not fear it, it's there to help you. Just know that it takes a long time to really work and a lot of endurance before it does. U are not alone.”

Northener · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2019

“This drug helped me a lot. My panic disorder came through mainly from my own abuse of substances etc. Words can’t describe how bad they were - my head was totally gone! Give this drug a chance! I’m talking months don’t expect it to happen overnight. Felt bad for first month taking them but whether that was the drug or like I say I was in a permanent state of panic anyway. Give it time. I still get odd blip but persevere with it! Been on them 6 months and plan to try come off them soon. Can’t imagine it’s going be easy, but there you go!”

Emzy · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 26, 2018

“It’s daunting when your anxious about taking meds isn’t it... a million thoughts of thinking “what if”. You know I’m right because that was me for many years, scared to take that one tablet a day in fear of what might happen! But I did and I stuck with it and I’ve had the BEST 6 years of my life! So please please try it, if your scared make sure you have company with you as I found this helped me, try meditation- do everything you can to help relax whilst starting your meds. You will be ok, it’s just side effects and they will not last ❤️ Light and love! YOU CAN DO THIS!”

SAM · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2018

“THIS MEDICATION HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. Honestly, I've suffered with panic disorder for years and I've always had general anxiety too. At the start of the year my panic attacks were happening several times a day and I was very suicidal. My mum and Nan are both on citalopram (celexa) and recommended it to me. Not gonna lie, the first and second week was hard (started on 20mg) as my anxiety was heightened and my panic attacks were worse and I felt shattered all the time. But I'm now on week 4 and *touch wood* I haven't had a panic attack in almost 2 weeks, I no longer feel anxious and if I do start to feel anxious I can quickly get myself out of it. Highly recommend for anyone that is a sufferer. This medication is my freedom.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2018

“I have been on citalopram 10mg for nearly 2 weeks for anxiety and panic and the first week the side effects were pretty bad. Nausea/ lack of appetite and weight loss, drowsiness, general lethargy and lack of motivation to do anything/ not wanting to go out were my main side effects. However, after exactly a week these subsided and I am feeling much better in myself and my appetite has returned and I am putting the weight back on and anxiety has certainly decreased. The other day at work I experienced a panic attack which was worse than I have ever had before, tingling in the hands and feet, severe sweating, feeling like I was going to pass out and heart rate of 140bmp. However, after a few minutes and deep breaths I returned to normal and haven't experienced this since. Does anyone have similar experiences to this with starting citalopram and the panic attack? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

“I started on Citalopram after suffering with anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia for many years. I tried the natural route but nothing worked long term. My panic attacks were awful. They came on without warning and make me VERY physically ill. My doctor put me on a low dose of Citalopram (celexa) my initial symptoms that I can remember were: dizziness, mild stomach upset, mild nausea, numbness in hands and feet, slight insomnia, increased anxiety, headaches, and severe lack of appetite. I was only consuming about 500 calories per day for 2 weeks but then week 2 hit and I upped my dosage to 10 mg. My appetite came back for the first time in over a year, I sleep amazing, I’m no longer anxious, if I feel an attack coming on it quickly subsides ( I haven’t had one since switching to 10 mg a month ago), I have energy, I’m not depressed and I have the urge to go out and do things all the time! I no longer am afraid to go places in fear of having a panic attack!”

Vivs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 9, 2018

“My Panic attacks started in early 2017. Back in my country doctor gave me 10 medicines a day but no relief. Then I have to move to UK. As I was not feeling well I consulted a doctor here in GP and she gave me two medicines (Propranolol and Citalopram)and stopped others. First 4 weeks were horrible and I started looking into reviews on this website & got some confidence. My condition was very bad for first 8 months I thought of giving it up and stop taking it but I also read the side effects of going off the medicine. I consulted my doctor and she increased citalopram 20mg to 30 mg, again had side effects for 2 weeks, insomnia, peaked anxiety etc. Only thing that keeps me taking this medicine is the feedback here on the site, many people advised to "Be there and don't give up on this medicine" and I promised that time if I ever recovered because of this medicine I will come back and write a honest review. I hope you all get to where I am now, it is all worth it and there is light at the end of the tunnel :). Stay blessed , stay positive and love all”

Anonymous April 16, 2018

“I have been taking celexa for three weeks. I did have side effects such as: some nausea, decreased appetite, trouble sleeping, fuzzy headed, drowsiness, and a small head ache. These side effects got better each day. After a week of being on a 10mg dose the side effects were very minimal. Then I increased to 20mg and the side effects started over again and got better after a week. I am not 100% yet, but I am far from where I came from. Looking forward to each passing week as I know it will keep getting better. I was afraid to take this medication. It sat in my cabinet for a few months until I couldn’t stand myself anymore. I took a klonopin with my first dose and it helped a lot. Then I took a klonopin when I increased my dose to 20. Have not had any klonopin other than those two days. The celexa does a great job at abating the anxiety and my only regret is not starting it sooner. Didn’t rate it a 10 because it makes me super tired. Each day that feeling lifts a little more.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)