User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Depression

Celexa (citalopram): "I take 20 mg and I have done so for the last year for depression. I tried to take it before I was going on a drive, actually a four hour drive and it really distorted the whole trip. I felt like I wasn't apart of the traveling experience...it was a really weird I will never take it again before long drive. I had to change my time of when I took it to later in the evening before I went to bed. As it got dark on the drive I noticed how blurry everything had become, I struggled so hard to read the road signs that I normally could more clearly. For me there is no way I could take it at the beginning of the day."

Sharon VA December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Never taken antidepressants before my therapist encouraged me to try them. Her and the doc both suggested Celexa and 20 mg to start. Doc said I would probably experience headaches and nausea. Within 20 minutes of taking my first dose I had an extreme skull crushing headache and suddenly felt so tired (I had just woken up so I wasn’t) I laid down and felt stiff and unable to move. I felt so dizzy laying down and drugged. 2 hours later I was hit with trembling, hot flashes, vomiting , diarrhea, dizziness, confusion, seeing dark spots, slurred speech, pounding heart and trouble taking deep breathes. I felt like I was dying and almost called 911 because I couldn’t do anything to lessen the symptoms. It gave me serotonin syndrome. Never again."

Mrswilliams92 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I normally don't do reviews but I have to tell you what a difference this medication has made for me. I was on Paxil for years, regular and control release. I didn't understand why I felt so down when I was taking such a strong dose of SSRI. I hesitantly changed to Citalopram at the suggestion of my doctor and within days it had changed my life. I was no longer depressed, I felt my mood change drastically. My doctor and counsellor have suggested that the Paxil was actually doing me harm, because the new SSRI would not have normally worked that quickly. I have been on this medication for almost 3 months now and I feel great. I highly recommend it, and also for those who are still fighting to find the right med for you, keep fighting!!!"

MzKaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had tried numerous anti depressants before settling on Citalopram. It had the least unpleasant side effects for me. I have taken a small dose daily for approx 5 years. It seems to help me to not feel so low. I'm not sure if some of it is possibly psychosomatic eg a placebo affect. But I'll keep using it as long as it seems to help. My type of depression has been long term since 18. I'm now 53."

P&D November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 20mg for major depression and anxiety. I did get bloating and nausea for about 3 weeks which was manageable and decreased appetite (good because I'm overweight). It helped but not as much as I'd liked so my doctor moved me to 40mg. Same side effects as before. Nausea went away after 3 weeks. I feel a lot better at this dose. My depression is like 1/10 now and my anxiety has gone down a lot! I'm going out and making friends, I was the kind of person who'd make plans and cancel and be very anxious in social situations. I also get less panic attacks (it takes more than it used to in order to trigger one) This drug saved my life. I don't want to be without it. Just get through the side effects and wait, this won't work overnight."

Sadgirl1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking citilopram for about a year . Side effects same as most peeps. Sweating was the most uncomfortable. At some points had to change clothing throughout the day. Misjudged how many pills I had remaining this weekend and ran out. Found myself crying at " car sos" and some daft kiddies cartoon. And I mean in absolute tears. Maybe some may think they are of little help when taking them but this is what it may make you feel if you stop cold turkey. Also take diazepam when I'm really stressed "

Chazbhoyo☘️ October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Dysthymia so I have to take medication all the time. This one is terrible for me. While it kept me from becoming suicidal... well that was the only thing it did. I was so low energy I could barely do anything and couldn't concentrate on anything. I think it's good I don't drive. I took it whenever things were at their worst but had to stop when I became a bit better because it created a ceiling. Stopped it and used techniques given by therapists and I was able to be somewhat functional again."

Emilie B. October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I was prescribed this a few week's ago but had to stop taking it. I currently take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 100 mg, and was not sure why the Psychiatrist would prescribe the Celexa (Citalopram) as I had been informed by a pharmacist that combining Seroquel and Celexa is dangerous and could possibly cause heart problems. There is a MAJOR drug interaction between those two meds, as that would explain why my chest was hurting and my depression actually got way worse, I also didn't have an appetite at ALL while on the Celexa so I had to just stop taking it. Horrible drug."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug made me have side effects instead of panic attacks. Like the best way I can describe it is when I would begin to have a panic attack, it would replace it with some of the side effects. I got very 'psychedelic' side effects, but i'm not saying that's a good thing. I constantly had out of body experiences, felt like my arms were missing or weightless, felt like I had sensations of two pairs of legs. Stuff like that would always happen as soon as I would start having a panic episode or depressive episode. I give it something above a 0 because it actually did get rid of my anxiety, but the side effects it replaced it with was not worth staying on."

Kerma (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This seems to be working well for me. I've been on it for three months now, at 10mg a day. As far as my depression goes, the fog has lifted, I find myself being able to keep up with my life again, things that I used to let like up because I was to tired aren't an issue any more. I've had energy for the first time in years and it's amazing! As far as treating my OCD, this medication at this dosage is not helping with repetitive thoughts or anxiety unfortunately. Hopefully increasing the dose will help!"

Mewty (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Living with a depressed husband and my parents passing within 16 months of each other threw me into two years of depression. When I finally sought help, my doctor put me on generic Celexa. Within a month, I felt a lot better; however, I was nauseous and woke up at 3am for the first 3 months. I'm glad I stuck it out because after that, I was fine for about 2 years when it stopped working. Over the past 3 years I have tried 3 other anti depressants but nothing has worked or they increased my blood pressure so my doctor suggested trying Celexa again. I'm hoping I won't have the side effects this time but feel they are worth it for two years of normal living."

Lee In Pinetop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started Citalopram today! Doc has me on 10mg for the first 4 days, then being bumped up to 20mg. She said "it has to get worse, before it can get better" and from reading most of the reviews, I have a feeling I'm in for a few rough weeks. I have only tried one other medicine and I reacted very sensitively to it, doc pulled me off asap. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the past year (runs in the family unfortunately, anxiety from my mum, depression from my dad). Will keep y'all posted! Not going to give up on this!"

Rosie Bowler September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I took celexa many years ago and when I stopped taking it I developed brain zaps a common side effect of withdrawal. After one month of quitting celexa I started hearing voices telling me to harm others. It got so bad that I started attacking people with a knife. I was arrested by the police. During trial I was found not criminally responsible (NCR). I was suffering from psychosis. I was sent to a secure hospital. I spent a year in there I saw the review board and they said I was a significant threat to the safety of the public because I told my doctor I felt like killing more people. "

Matthew GGG August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Made me feel like a zombie, sexual side effects, no interest in doing anything. I would never take this drug again."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Love this medication. Noticed a huge difference the first day I started taking it. It will make you drowsy for 3 to 4 days but thats normal because your body needs to get use to it. GREAT medication for Anxiety and Depression."

AppCandycrushgamer August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Citalopram 20mg for exactly two weeks now. Side effects I have been experiencing are nausea, nausea when yawning, constant yawning, appetite decrease (down 13 pounds), fatigue, flat affect (numb personality, expressionless face) and intense, deep negativity. I am taking Citalopram for severe anxiety and major depressive disorder. I had some suicidal ideations before starting the medication, but now it feels like my depression is on steroids. I am working closely with my therapist who wants me to speak to my prescribing Doc about the dose. I am unsure of what to do at this point because I haven't been on it long enough to experience the benefits. Mostly I am terrified of being locked up."

Nicky89 July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Citalopram 10 mg by my doctor for depression and anxiety due to being laid off from my job. I have been taking for less than a week and it really has helped me quite a bit. Except for mild to moderate headaches and vivid dreams at night when I sleep I have no other complaints! I have very glad my doctor suggested this medication!"

Sunny1979 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on it for about two weeks. It has not quite kicked in really but I thought I'd review my experience thus far. I haven't really had any bad side effects as of yet, and I don't have any trouble sleeping on it either. I've gotten some comments that I am more outgoing and talkative but I haven't noticed it so apparently it may be helping my anxiety some as well. At one month appt to review with my doctor I will probably have my dosage upped as it has had no effect so far on my depression. They started me at a low dosage tho bc my genetics test says that my body reacts to 10mg how a normal person would react to 20mg so they started me on 10mg. Hopefully it will have more of an effect when they up the dosage."

Mandajoypanda (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Experienced depressive symptoms lightly for years. Then over the past year when exposed to many life stressors because signficant in impairing my quality of life. Celexa has greatly improved my quality of life and most days I feel little to no depressive thoughts. I have been taking Celexa for 6 weeks. It also got rid of my anxiety (70-80% of it) and has improved my OCD symptoms a great deal. I started on 5 mg upping to 10mg"

MxMxM July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very vivid and graphic dreams every night."

£$*&% July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I remember a half a year ago reading these reviews and I was very eager to not feeling worthless anymore. The first month was bleh. Had bad diarrhea but slept great for once. But over time feelings of worthlessness and being overly fearful faded away. I started to slowly be able to get out of bed in the night (third shift) and be excited to go to work and engage people. Sadly, over time the anxiety seemed to have gotten worse. My sleeping also went back to its normal habits. They upped it to 40mg to no avail. Now I'm off cold turkey and the depression is hitting harder than it has ever. Wish I could get back on it. It was a literal life saver."

Great for depression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Citalopram for almost 3 years now, starting at 10mg and now 30mg dosage. I know the drug is different for everyone, but it's really helped me. I still suffer very bad anxiety, but depressive periods and mood swings seem to be under control. It's really important not to rely just on medication though, it's definitely only worked together with therapist/changing a few things (way I communicate etc). A huge downside to begin with was how tired I was, I would take the meds at night and then not be able to wake up properly, would easily fall back asleep until lunchtime. I now take them around 2pm. I experimented a lot with the timings! This seems best for me as I'm usually out/busy in the afternoons so don't get caught tired."

jkjkjkjkjk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "not sure if it did anything"

katzy June 30, 2017