User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Postpartum Depression

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Postpartum Depression. 52% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Postpartum Depression.

Reviews for Citalopram

TL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 23, 2020

“I have been taking citalopram for 8 months now. Until I started reading these reviews I thought I was having problems due to my c-section or postpartum hormonal issues. I have gained 40 lbs. I have had diarrhea for 8 months. I have zero sex drive. I feel like I’ve just lost all feeling down there. I have hot flashes, night sweats and I’m just exhausted all the time. It did help with my postpartum anxiety/depression, but now that I know everything I’m experiencing could be side effects linked to this prescription I am going to quit taking it.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

“I have suffered with PMDD for most of my adult life, it really got its worst in my mid 20's. It steals 2 weeks of my life every month from me. I am 31 and just also recently gave birth. After 7 weeks postpartum upon returning to work I would have several panic attacks a day along with the one of the worst depressions I have experienced. I felt physically sick from the sadness of leaving my baby every day for work. I am on day 4 of 10 mg of Citalopram and the panic attacks are GONE, my OCD repetitive thoughts are GONE, I still feel a bit sad but I don't dwell on it. First two days I had headaches, dry mouth, nausea, gastro upset, difficulty orgasming, and felt "weird". All have subsided but the orgasm difficulty. I am so thankful for the immediate relief from the nightmare I was experiencing. It's like somebody turned the light on in my dark mind! I can smile and mean it again.”

sam January 22, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “Initial symptoms, premenstrual dysphoric syndrome. Extreme Irritability in evenings the week before period. While used to be fine after period, I started having depressed mood. Only time of the month feeling good was around ovulation. Started on 10 mg. First week, queasiness, dizziness, no appetite, brain fog. Allowed self to eat junk or whatever sounded appealing. Protein shakes. Initial effects improved after the first week. No real notable difference After a few weeks increased to 20 mg. Lack of appetite returned. Started having excruciating headaches, tension headaches and clenching of jaw. Worsened depression. No motivation or desire to do anything. Headaches resolved. At 7-8 wks. Extremely tired. Sad blah heavy face feeling. Anxiety may be worse. Probably less irritable but don’t feel the other side effects are worth it. Felt better the next day after decrease to 10. Then switched to Paxil and have have no side effects and doing well one month in!!!”

Mommy3dd · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2013

Celexa (citalopram): “I am not sure if I had post partum depression or not, my youngest child is 2 and it seems ever since having her I've been not the best mom out there, or wife. I was very moody all the time and just recently it has gotten worse. I felt like I was always on a rage at home, yelling at everyone, everything getting on my nerves, snapping at family members, it was terrible. Celexa saved my life! I felt improvement within days. I feel more calm and no longer have the urges to yell and get angry with anyone. Have experienced headaches and fatigue & yawning, but nothing compared to how I was feeling before so I can handle the side effects! I am on week 3 now, hoping they diminish with time.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2012

Celexa (citalopram): “I began to feel better almost immediately- within 4 days I could really tell a difference in my stress level and more overall depression. I feel much better, and I am thankful I that I decided to seek help. This has not solved all my problems, but it put me in a frame of mind to be able to deal with them rather than feel out of control and hopeless. Best decision I could have made not only for myself, but my family. the only side effect that I have experienced is difficulty reaching orgasm. But honestly it has helped me so much, I am more than willing to live with this than go back to the way I was before.”

Anonymous March 20, 2012

Celexa (citalopram): “I used Celexa for postpartum depression and it was like a miracle! I had a sick baby and just thought I was a 'bad mom' and couldn't handle the stress. My marriage took a big hit and my husband refused to have a 2nd child with me due to the depression/anxiety. I spoke to my doctor when my son was 7-8 months old and went on 10 mg of Celexa. It was like turning on a light in a dark room! I sure wish I would have figured out what was wrong with me sooner! I tried to go off after about a year, but the moodiness and irritability came back, so I went back on for another 6 months or so before successfully stopping. Few side effects for me. I would recommend!”

Chantnn February 1, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): “I have always struggled with depression but after giving birth my depression spiraled out of control. I was miserable every second of the day. My husband finally told me I make an appointment or he makes it for me. I started off at 10mg of Celexa, and was moved up to 20mg. It has completely turned my life around. I finally feel like I'm living again. I haven't had any side effects other than minor headaches.”

mom of 4 plus triplets October 10, 2011

Celexa (citalopram): “I have been on Celexa for about a year. I absolutely love my 'happy pill'. My whole family loves me and I love them. The only side effects I have had are migraines if I skip a dose, or increased irritation if I take an extra dose. I don't mind the migraines as they remind me to take my Celexa when life has me running. Glad my doctor listened to me and proscribed this medication. Zoloft and Wellbutrin did not work at all for me. I have been on 20mg the entire time. Hopes this helps others.”

shnbsng February 5, 2014

“After I had postpartum depression after 2 weeks of giving birth then my 9 months through it got really worse. I would always snap at my boyfriend about the little things. I got irritated very easily and would cry everyday. All I wanted to do was sleep. I also tried counseling before deciding to take medicines. I just felt like a horrible mom. I took Celexa and after a week I felt the change in me right away. I felt more about things and my anxiety went away. I had more energy to do things and more motivated to do things. I love being me again.”

Anonymous November 17, 2010

Celexa (citalopram): “Celexa worked wonders for my postpartum depression. My depression stated later than normal, my child was 9 months. At first I felt "out of it", like I couldn't concentrate. After a week that went away. I also have mild OCD and it helped that too. I did gain a little weight and was craving food more. My husband says he noticed a good change in me, better mood.”

Navehangel August 14, 2012

Celexa (citalopram): “I was struggling depression for 19 years. I always held everything in and never told anyone, so I've tried to hurt myself a couple times. Finally 4 weeks ago I admitted myself to a hospital and they sent me to a mental health place where I stayed for 2 weeks and was put on Celexa. I was scared to get on but knew I had to do something and I am so glade I did. I feel like a whole new person without the stress and wondering where my life's going. Thank you Celexa. Now hopefully I can get insurance and stay on it.”

Brightfuture01 January 10, 2015

“After I had my child I soon started to cry, be angry all the time, felt bored of life, nothing excited me. So I was suggested to take Citalopram, it started to work within 3 weeks I only got headaches and a little bit of diarrhea. Then I finally felt like there was light at the end of the tunnel my anxiety and panic attacks also went away nearly a year I have to decided I want another child so I am slowly ( with doctors permission ) coming off so far a little cloudy some days but so far so good. Trying to stay positive. Depression can be fixed with the right treatment speak up.”

Anonymous December 9, 2010

“My son is almost a month old and after I had him I thought I was losing my mind and couldn't stop crying. It was horrible. I was put on the medication and I've been doing 100% better, the only side effect I've experienced is the drowsiness... but its worth it. Now that my emotions are stable and I'm not snapping on my 5 year old anymore or crying uncontrollably.”

aasldfhasdiovpasdifafasdfpaosd · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): “This is by far the worst antidepressant I have ever taken in my life. I took this pill for Severe post-partum anxiety/OCD. I stayed on it for 17 months. And it was truly the worst 17 months of my life. The worst intrusive thoughts I have ever experienced, felt like I was in a constant panic attack 24/7 where I literally felt like I was going insane, my thoughts were constant loops of irrational fears and I would do anything to try and make them stop, I thought I had something spiritually wrong with me or I was going insane, horrible derealization, lost connection with almost every person except my boyfriend, no connection with my baby, couldn't feel any of my body, lost all faith in God and hope.”

Medviewanon July 27, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): “Horrible experience. Couldn't differ between dreams and actuality. Unfortunately lost custody of my child while on this medication because the paternal grandparents convinced me to sign "insurance papers" which were actually custody papers. They knew what my mental state was at the time due to Celexa. I was very easily agitated and very delusional. At one point I thought my daughter had turned into a puppy. Another point, I thought I took a trip that was about an hour away and got back home within 5 minutes with no recollection of the trip back. These were actually dreams that I thought was happening in reality. I was in such a horrible mental state that I couldn't even tell that I wasn't myself, that I was delusional, or irrational.”

Anonymous June 14, 2009

Celexa (citalopram): “I started taking Celexa for post-partum depression about 2 years ago. Started at 20mg and have been on 40mg for over a year now. I'm not sure if its related, but the past 6 months or so, I have had increasing muscle/joint pain, with fatigue and insomnia. I've been absolutely miserable. I will say that for the depression and mood swings Celexa is great, provided you don't get the UNcommon side effects.”

Becky hthhhm · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 9, 2019

“Started taking Citalopram after another anti-depressant that didn’t work. I don’t remember the side effects to begin with as I don’t think I actually suffered too bad! A year and a half later and I’ve gained 2 stone, have little to no energy, suffer from somnolence (excessively sleeping I could sleep all night and day and still have no energy!), profusely sweating, constantly hot, I can’t stand wearing clothes only soft nightdresses, I now have high anxiety which I didn’t have before, shaking and not being able to get my words out properly when talking. These side effects have only just started and have now made me decide I no longer want these affecting my body! I’m hoping to come off them next week under guidance from my GP. I would say they have helped me with my post traumatic stress disorder (extremely difficult labour) so I do think they helped, just not anymore!”

Anonymous October 18, 2008

“My doctor put me on this medication when I could no longer afford the other one that I was taking. I was very apprehensive about switching since my other one worked well for me. Since taking this, my husband feels like he has the wife back that he originally married and I have been feeling wonderful. I had my first baby in May and was finding normal day to day living difficult. Like I said, I couldn't afford my old medication and this was definitely an affordable choice. The only side effect that I have noticed is the diarrhea.”

Anonymous September 18, 2009

Celexa (citalopram): “I took citalopram for 10 days but had to stop due to an allergic reaction I got from it. Besides that, I could not sleep at night after taking the medication. Unfortunately citalopram did not work for me at all.”

Postpard · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2012

“I have a 6 month old old & history of anxiety. Had strong baby blues post c-section; postpartum depression followed. Struggled on my own for months but upon trying to return to work fell hard into depression. Doc put me on 10mg Citalopram. Day 4 right now- can't say whether its effective yet as I know its weeks and or months before we can conclusively say. Have had strong side effects though: very sore stomach, racing heart, break into sweat, dry mouth & insomnia. I take pills at night as I was forewarned about the drowsiness. Willing to try this for longer though despite side effects which are likely short term. Ten years ago was on Zoloft and another antidepressant with poor results.”

Van604 May 16, 2017

“I was diagnosed with prenatal depression and was prescribed this awful drug. I took ONE 2.5mg dose as directed. The next 8 hours were a blur. I can only describe it as being really drunk. My heart rate dropped from it's usual 89bpm to 60bmp and my breathing became so slow and irregular. I was in bed and could not move a muscle and was terrified I was going to stop breathing. Eventually I had to use the washroom and when I got up I collapsed. Will never ever take again.”

Anonymous May 5, 2009

“I just starting taking this but so far I feel better than I did before taking it, even though my mouth gets extremely dry at night. Out of all the side effects listed the dry mouth is the one that bothers me the most. I hate getting up in the middle of the night and now I have to get up to get something to drink.”

big mumma October 3, 2008

Celexa (citalopram): “Found it quick and helped me to reach the light at the end of the tunnel.”

Little momma · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2015

“Helped with my postpartum depression, was on it for 3 years then diagnosed with stage IV non Hodgkin's lymphoma.”

Anonymous July 15, 2009

“I was unsure if Citalopram was working, so I slowly tried to come off them. This is when I realised they did work for my depression and anger.”

Learn more about Postpartum Depression