User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"Hi I've been on 10mg of citalopram for just over 3 weeks now, I feel a little bit better but still having bad anxiety most days and feeling a bit down, I don't know if I should up my dose yet, because of my age 72 the maximum dose I can take is 20mg. I did go through the usual side effects but not too bad as my doctor told me to take them at night. I have lost a bit of weight which is quite worrying as I have lost enough already through anxiety. It would be great to hear from anyone going through the same thing and does it get better? I try to get out most days but on the days I don't go out my anxiety and low mood is worse ."

Jojaza (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"I've suffered from GAD and panic disorder since my teens and was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD causes worsening anxiety in stressful situations and I've tried many antidepressants, including Celexa. At first, it seemed helpful but slowly lost effect and I noticed that my appetite increased. I ended up gaining 20 lbs which is not good for my musculoskeletal conditions. I worked with my psychiatrist to lower my dose and get on Seroquel which has been working wonders for my anxiety and has made me an all-around better person to be around because I am not so grumpy. I lowered the Celexa to 10mg and fully intend to get off it completely next week."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"I took this medication around 8 years ago when going through a difficult time and I had no side effects and it was amazing. Unfortunately I had to start taking them again as was suffering from stress, anxiety and depression as a result of my job. I started on 20mg and the first 2 weeks were hell as my head was fuzzy, I wasn’t sleeping and my anxiety increased. The doctor recommended that I persevere and I’m now into week 4 and all side effects have gone. I’m feeling human again and able to deal with work and the stress of life and actually laughing. So 2 different experiences but would always recommend"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I started on the generic brand around Christmas time of 2017, as Christmas is a time of socialization and stress! I have a lot of social anxiety and depression. So bad that it put my relationship on the line. I figured it was time to visit my (fantastic) doctor! I was put on 10mg a day for 6 weeks and did not see much of a difference. I was then bumped up to 20mg a day and I am a new person! My mood is improved, I can start a conversation with a stranger, and my anxiety is gone! The side effects I have are minimal compared to the pro's of the medication. I have increased sweating, which mainly contains itself to my fingertips, so it's not bad! My brain is a little foggy all the time, and I have decreased sex drive. Not too bad for the cons of Citalopram! I highly recommend this life changing medication!"

NovB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

"I got my prescription a few days ago but have yet to pick up from pharmacy. Really worried to start taking them after reading the bad reviews. I had fluoxetine years ago for mild depression and they were great with no side effect, but dr has given these for mild depression along with anxiety. Tried propanalol but they did not agree with me at all and I couldn’t drive. I will pick up on Monday and start taking , I have been prescribed 20mg once a day. Really hope it works , with very little side effect, will keep you updated"

S_2018 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "This medication helped with my anxiety and rolling panic attacks. At the time I tried to stay on the medication and was monitored by a psychiatrist weekly. It helped my panic attacks stay at a 2/10 severity. It also helped me sleep; but then I was sleeping 16h a day. I started having auditory hallucinations and immediately went to visit my psychiatrist. She said it was normal, and not to be worried. Well I stayed on it for a total of 5-6 weeks and ended up suicidal. As soon as I was admitted to the psychiatric unit and taken off this drug the hallucinations stopped. Would never every in a million years recommend this to anyone unless you are monitored very closely."

Krystina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"Citalopram was great. From being originally put on the 10mg tablet once a day for severe anxiety. I felt better within a few weeks. Problem was after that I felt I had no problems so stopped after 3 months then the anxiety came back and I remembered why I originally took it. I got pushed up to 20mg but unfortunately it had an unwanted sexual side effect of not being able to achieve orgasm if it weren't for that I'd have given a 9.0 rating."

Citalopreee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I take Celexa for stress, anxiety and depression...it's amazing. I feel normal, functional and my thoughts are not erratic or chaotic. It has made dealing with stress extremely easy and depressive thoughts are gone."

Tansi81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2018

"I started on 10mg after a long time of having generalised anxiety and agoraphobia. It all got too much for me. I wasn’t sleeping, crying every day. I lost all my confidence, I had no appetite and I felt like the world was caving in on me. Work was becoming too much also. I went to the GP and started CBT and citalopram! The first 4 weeks were hell-Hardly any sleep, racing heart, zero energy, couldn’t think of eating a thing and felt sick. Once this passed I felt good again and life was becoming back to normal. I went back to GP as I stated to dip so he put me on 20mg which I have been on for 10 weeks now! And I’m feeling myself again. I have so much more energy, confidence and sleeping so much better. I started taking on more responsibility at work and got myself a volunteer job on my day off to help with the children at my sons school. I have also learnt to be single and take each day as it comes! I love my life now!"

Stacey February 27, 2018

"Part 2 to my comment on Dec 2017. I have been taking 20mg of celexa for 5 months. I am so glad that I did not give up, the side effects were hard to deal with. Now I have more energy, sleep well and feel happier and calm. I occasionally have the upset stomach. I also attend CBT therapy, meditation, exercise, drink plenty of water. I recommend celexa to anyone who has anxiety and stress. It takes about 6 to 8 to feel the full benefit of celexa. Do not give up, push thru it, you will feel better. I recommend taking celexa at bedtime, you will sleep better. :feel relief"

Feel Relief (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

"Have been on it on and off for 19 years. The only medicine that truly helps with Anxiety and Panic Disorder and I never had any adverse side effects. The only reason I go off is because I feel "ashamed" taking Mental Health Pills. Please don't. They are here for a reason and Citalopram has allowed me to be an even better me and be true to myself."

Trouble February 23, 2018

"In 2012, I was diagnosed with a whole host of issues after a traumatic thing happened to me - including agoraphobia, PTSD, depression, panic disorder (the list goes on and on). My doctor tried me on many types of medication, like fluoxetine, reboxetine, sertraline, diazepam, xanax and others. Citalopram is THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED. All the others either didn't make me feel a thing, or made me too tired to do anything. It took about 5 weeks, but then I felt the pills kick in and I can function now, and I can actually feel happiness and a motivation to do things. For me, all that was needed was 20mg. Since starting them a year ago, I've been getting A*'s at University. The results don't lie :) Give them a try, they might change your life for the better! But be patient."

Raine (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "After 16 years of a great marriage (I thought and all our family and friends did) 3 kids. My wife decided to separate? We have NO FAMILY or true friends in the state we live in. So off guard and practically felt homeless. After so many months of trying to "man up ." I told myself "You need help!" I was not in a good place, but covered it and still covering it up well. Just started Celexa only a couple days now. Really looking forward to getting back to myself. Will give my update as time goes. Thanks for everyone's experience!"

CLG SR February 19, 2018

"I started on cipromil 20mgs 14 days ago for anxiety and depression. The side effects have been shocking, nausea, increased anxiety and panic attacks, feeling tired but unable to sleep, no appetite, weight loss and fear that it won’t work for me!! I read that some feel better from day 1, I only wish that could have been me. "

Gilip (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

"Hi my name is Oscar I used to smoke a lot of weed for a entire year and abused it. I was going through stress because I had no money and I had no job etc. I had never heard of any mental medicine or anything. One day I started feeling anxious and I didn't know what it was. I start having anxiety attacks and I felt like I was dying and I started to get all of the side effects from anxiety. I felt like depersonalization, sweating while I slept nightmares, I was scared I wouldn't wake up etc. Crazy stuff for an entire year I became stuck in my room it was my comfort zone until someone told my dad that they know this very good psychiatrist I went to him and he gave me citalopram and I swear to you the fallowing week I was driving my car felt great I felt normal and little by little my confidence came back. Now I've been on pill for 10 years I have a house, a well paid job and I have 3 kids and a beautiful wife I got my life back thank you citalopram"

oooz February 11, 2018

"I've been taking this drug celexa for nearly 2 weeks now and I feel great . It definitely takes the edge off things. I have severe generalized anxiety and I worry about everything. This medication has very minimal side effects. I only experienced headache the first week and a half . I highly recommend this drug for stress and anxiety ..I definitely have a better outlook on things and more calm and motivated to do things. Highly recommended :) Get thorough the first 2wks and start feeling great it's worth the side effects. Goodluck:)"

Sabrina 1 February 5, 2018

"This medicine has let me live a normal life like I used to. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't think straight, my breathing was shallow. I started having chest-pains, which I thought may be heart related. It totally controlled my life from wake to sleep. I was helpless. I started drinking. Finally, I talked to my doctor. She diagnosed me with general anxiety and suggested Citalopram. She told me it was indicated for depression, but off label use for anxiety was used as well. I trust my PCP. She prescribed me 20mg. I waited 3 weeks before taking any because I was afraid. When I started, I felt nothing for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Then slowly, day by day, I felt the cloud lifting over my head. I started to regain traction. My breathing slowed, my blood pressure lowered. I slept at night. I spent more time with my kids. Don't be afraid to be put on this medication. You aren't any weaker for taking it. I truly believe it has saved my life. Thanks for reading, and good luck."

Living a better life February 4, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "The only thing worse than my experience on Celexa was my experience getting off it. I had brain zaps every morning for 8 months, zaps that would only go away if I went back to sleep and essentially gave in to "oversleeping." Its now 1 year later and I still feel the withdrawal side effects. Taking this medication is one of the worst mistakes of my life."

Kevin12 February 4, 2018

"I would like to say to anyone who is contemplating starting Celexa to at least give it try and not let the negative reviews stop you from enjoying the life you were meant to live. Many of the negative reviews are of folks who were unable to get through the initial phase of the drug and it’s difficult side effects. The vast majority of people will, if they can ride out the first couple of weeks, find it gets much easier. I started at 10 mg for a period of 3 months. It was explained by a psychiatrist that 10 wasn’t enough for me, and within a week I would be at 30 for me to get the results I desired. He was so right! I have never, and I mean never, felt so optimistic as I do now. I am happier and calmer and my wife loves the new me. I sincerely wish everyone the very best of luck. This is a good one people!"

KCeee February 2, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I don't typically review medicines but I feel compelled to after taking one 10mg dose of celexa. I've had mild anxiety on and off most of my life. Due to some events in my life approx 2 years ago (anxiety) has gotten worse. I still tried to deal with it naturally, finally I broke down in Dec and got a script from my Dr for 10mg celexa. I held off taking it until 2 nights ago. I NEVER will take celexa again. I had loose stools almost 1 hour after taking it. The next 30 hours were hard, I could not sleep I had a racing heart and then I had a panic attack at work. Fortunately it has worked it's way thru my system and feel "normal" again. It may work for some but this is not for me. To be fair maybe I'm just not a good candidate for an SSRI med."

Master2018 January 24, 2018

"Some years ago had clinical depression out of the blue for no real reason, suffered for near 6 months worst time of my long life. It was awful, a living nightmare. I only got help when practice nurse who new me saw what was going on and asked me what was wrong and the doc prescribed 20 mg citalopram. I had no hope at all that it would do any good, as depression in my case meant total hopelessness. IT WORKED to my surprise and quickly. I assure you this was not psychosomatic as I not only had no expectation of this and actually forgot I was taking it, just another pill in the box. I had no side affects at all . It was great for me and I hope it is for others. Depression is a terrible life threataning illness, don't feel on ur own - GET HELP and get it now!"

uk tony (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "Helped me for about 6-7 years. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone new. Felt like a complete zombie, tired all the time, couldn’t remember much, couldn’t really focus on much, and complete loss of sex drive. (I’m a 21 year old male, so having to explain to some girls why I couldn’t do it was pretty embarrassing). Works good for the anxiety part but in my opinion I’d try something else first. Also, Celexa recently stopped working and tapering off is quite difficult. (Brain zaps, twitches, etc...)."

Craigslong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I never leave feedback..but this was the most horrible feeling I have ever felt in my life. I couldn't sleep from 1 dose. Was wide awake for 3 days straight. Had a ton of energy, but it made me feel crazy. Upset stomach, nausea, headache, jitters, jaw clinching the entire time and the list keeps going. Then when the medicine was coming out of my system I couldn't stop crying. It's horrible...For me anyways. I'm kinda scared to try another antidepressant. Are they all like this?"

Djcain (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram works! After a few days, some results. After a month, big positive results. Finally an antidepressant that does not give me bad side effects. I wanted to go up past 20mg but my psychiatrist said more is not necessarily better. I believe her because I feel mostly better. I almost was thinking of being hospitalized but now things are less stressful and depressing and I am managing."

Ausyank (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

"I have been on this medicine for 10 days. The first week was horrible anxiety got worst. 24/7 of a nervous feeling but this past 3 days I have felt way better. The only problems I'm getting are morning anxiety and vision problems it's like I can't have a clear vision on objects. Is this normal or should I see a doctor?"

Danielfelix1992 January 4, 2018