User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "Don't let my rating scared you away from trying Celexa. It worked WONDERS for my anxiety! I could sleep again and go places and do things I couldn't have done without anxiety or panic attacks in over 2 years. Very little side effects and felt the affects immediately. However, 6 months in and I developed horrible stomach pains, swelling, acidity, etc. I've also developed horrible headaches. Stopped it a week and a half ago and all symptoms have vanished. Dr. said it was the Celexa and not a stomach bug that we had thought so we're switching it up. I hate that this happened since it really was a blessing and a relief to my life! Good luck!"

Socks245 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always had anxiety my entire life my dad also suffers so guess that’s where it came from I suffered a lot in social situations always worried I was going to embarrass myself even though I know I have a lot to say for myself and am naturally quite funny but always held back it’s been four weeks on it at 20mg and I am only writing this review as I feel it may help someone that was in my position it has helped me so much. I just feel relaxed talking to people, all the silly situations I use to make up in my head that might happen I don’t do anymore. I just feel like the person I should of been my entire life felt more anxious first two weeks but stuck with it now just feel normal no worry and I can just be myself best thing I ever done"

Sparky2929 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wanted to share my experience while being on celexa. Before celexa I was a wreck, having racing thoughts and felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I'm a mother of two and a happily married wife. I've suffered with anxiety for about 6 years and I was so scared to get on medication. It wasn't until I seen a constant pattern of me going to the emergency room with panic attacks and the hospital staff knew my name as soon as I walked in! Being on celexa has completely changed my life back to the woman I was. It literally gave my mind a clear focus and now I live in the present. Not worrying about a million and one things. Before I couldn't even communicate because my thoughts would just race and I would be stuck in my own head."

Lyssxoxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Worst experience of my life on this drug. Extreme insomnia, even taking an Ambien would not get me to sleep. If I did get a little sleep it was not restful, felt awake. Could not remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Short term memory gone. Could not eat, I would try but could barely swallow and food would fall out of my mouth, especially carbs like bread. Major muscle twitching, extreme sweating especially in inappropriate places like my groin so then I had even more anxiety feeling like I looked like I wet my pants. Headaches. This happened on a low dose taking it 3-4 weeks. Once stopping Celexa It took me 3-4 months to feel normal again, however I also feel this drug did some permanent damage to my brain."

Not ever again September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on and off of citalopram for the past 5 years (mostly on). I deal with GAD, depression, and PTSD. The therapeutic dose of 20 mg was what I was on initially, bumped to 40 as stress increased. This drug really helped me deal with my mixed bag of symptoms effectively. However, it caused anorgasma. Also caused a chronically stuffed nose as the dose increased."

BJ1097 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 49 years old and I started having panic attacks and anxiety again. It first started when I had a surgery to extract my thyroid many years ago. I tried other medications but Citalopram was the only one that made me feel good again. I have been taking 20 mg for more than 2 years and the only side effect I have is dry mouth. Actually I do not even realize it. I can't imagine flying or staying in closed places without taking it."

LuciaM September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from anxiety/depression decided to go to the doctor after sometime being that I just couldn't handle it anymore without some kind of meds. They started me on 20 mg which seemed to help but not quite to 100% yet! She then had me take 30 mg for a week and bumped it up to 40 mg but honestly it's to much I literally feel like I'm just "there" I feel physically exhausted it's a bad feeling and I'm still dealing with day to day anxiety but definitely not as bad as it was. I'm going to go back to 20 mg till I see my doctor again. Hate this awful feeling I have almost like a zombie it's like my brain is in a fog or something. I'm hoping she can add something to it I definitely can't go any higher then 20 mg"

Kaylily September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Citalopram for about 8 months. I was having severe migraines due to anxiety and had no prior diagnosis. It was all new to me but it made sense. My doctor started me on citalopram by prescribing 20 mg but cutting them and taking half for about a week. At first my head felt fuzzy but I can honestly say this medication has helped me return to my normal self. I'm usually skeptical of taking prescriptions but my husband even said that I was my normal self again. The only side effect I've outright experienced that I'm aware of, is if I forget to take it for a day or 2 I get terrible headaches. It makes me nervous that my body now relies on it and starts to go through withdrawal if I don't have it. However, it has truly helped!"

HHib August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I suffered from extreme panic attacks, lack of concentration, constant worry, and restlessness which led to a stint of sleep deprivation. I am currently 2 and a half weeks in and have gone through the gamut of side effects: increased anxiety, night sweats, tiredness and loss of sexual desire. But I can gladly say that these side effects are already seemingly disappearing and I CAN FOCUS AGAIN!!! It's amazing, my sense of humor isn't back yet as I am generally sarcastic which I am struggling hard with right now, but ultimately I can feel the drug working. My girlfriend doesn't think I'm completely insane (which is nice) and I feel like I am on the better side of the Celexa now."

JoeTurner August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"With any psych med, always use the LOWEST EFFECTIVE DOSE. If your doctor starts you on 5 or 10mg and you already feel better, just stay there. Less is more. SSRIs mess with your sleep architecture and the long-term sleep deprivation will make you gradually more depressed and tired, and you might not realize it's the citalopram because it's making you too tired and stupid to figure it out. I gradually increased the dose until I was on 40mg for 2 years and my life feel apart. Most people do NOT do well on 40mg, and I'm angry that my doctor portrayed it as a moderate dose. Anything above 20mg made me too tired to function without loads of caffeine. Doctors please be more conservative in your dosing."

v.h. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Mom was put on 10 mg. Then Dr. increased to 20 mg and her husband passed away and Dr. increased to 40 mg. She kept falling, blacking out, dizzy spells. I kept asking Dr. if it could be any of her medications and they said no. Then she started having signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. On her first diagnosis she was diagnosed with advanced alz. We saw no signs or family history of Alz. You see that coming 4-5 years out. After fighting this for 4 months after diagnosis, I decided the only thing that was changed was adding Celexa, so I weened her off Celexa and in 3 weeks w had our Mom back from Alz, state that she was in."

Bet123 August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best SSRI ever. No side effects and it really works for my panic and anxiety. I think if this drug didn't do what it is doing I may have taken my life"

Ruby j August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this."

Thankfulforthis (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 64 year old woman. I had suffered depression and anxiety for many years especially since early hysterectomy. I dealt with it and functioned. A smiling depressive. I needed to have a firm talk to myself to force me to socialise with colleagues who never knew the struggle. I could become an emotional wreck when alone over a TV advert. I started citalopram. In the beginning bizarre unpleasant dreams were disturbing. But they settled. Things have definitely improved. I still suffer from anxiety, fatigue & insomnia. However that overwhelming feeling of hopelessness of waiting for god as it were has left me. I can take pleasure out of things without wanting to cry. Life is certainly improved since commencing the drug."

Anonymously sent July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A great lessening of anxiety after taking for a month. Calm feeling."

Redhead24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First three weeks were difficult but remember this is a mind altering drug. Once it became part of me so to speak I felt a lot better but hypnotherapy has made a massive difference too I have learnt a lot of coping techniques. Still on citalopram after 30 months but feeling great."

AnxiousAndy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Honestly doesn't do much for me. Still has big panic attacks. Still has bad anxiety."

Eiko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I went thru a very difficult time being hurt at work,.I could have easily been killed. The company making moves to fire me cuz I costs them $ for my 'free medical ". Accident was another employee's negligence. Long story. Plus legal. etc etc With celexa, my anxiety , stress, depression levels became under control. I was able to return back to a resemblance of a human being Was at 40mg to start. Weaned down to 30mg. Then when legal became intense, 40mg. No good settlements in these cases but my sanity is returning. And coping better. Highly recommend. Side effect was being tired until my body adjusted. At least got covered by Workers Comp insurance. In Ca, that's a miracle because for injured parties, you're fortunate that insurance pays ."

jmcom111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only five days in. So still feeling the initial side affects. Dizzy headache nauseous. But changed from morning to night time last night and must say feel somewhat better for it. I've read all of these reviews and find most of them positive. So I'm hopeful after a few weeks I'll start to feel a bit like my old self again. Been suffering for 7 years and decided that enough was enough."

Scoots153 July 5, 2017