User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "I took Celexa for a yr. It gave me energy an made me anxious . I gained 40 pds and it made me yawn alot. I went off of it."

Aderline gurl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started taking celexa over a year ago for anxiety and stress. I had some mild side effects the first week, but it has been great since then. I started on 10mg and switched to 20mg after a month and have been at that prescription since. It probably took at least a month before I started noticing a difference. I take it at night and don't have any troubles sleeping or any other side effects. This medicine has completely changed my perspective. I'm much more calm and just happier all around. I used to be very high strung and easily stressed, but not anymore! Highly recommend!"

LoveCelexa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I've been taking the off brand for over 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel the anxiety reducing effects. No nausea or GI problems thus far. For the first 3 days I felt a little out of it around an hour and a half after taking it, so I started taking it at night and that has completely resolved the issue. Started on 10mg for around 9 days to get accustomed to it and have been on the 20 mg for 2 days now. My anxiety wasn't severe (diagnosed w mild anxiety-stress related) & no panic attacks. I think the type of anxiety/severity will influence the way the drug acts on you, but it's been good for me so far :)"

Anon0000099 September 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started on 10mg after quitting drinking and starting AA and I had to increase my dose to 20. So I've been on 20 for a week and I was on 10 for about 3 weeks before. I feel great. My anxiety level is so low and manageable and so is my negative thinking and my anger towards everyone. I have the right perspectives just couldn't apply them before and now I find it easy to. I don't freak out, get mad, irritated and frustrated like I used to. Life is easier to handle but you still need tools. So far my sex drive is still there tho it might take a little more effort to orgasm but not bec I don't feel it as much but bec it's hard to reach a certain level fast enough. My cravings for alcohol and sweet foods is very low. I'm motivated."

EvaGurl (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

"I have been talking celexa for over a month and have noticed a big difference in anxiety and moods. I have also lost weight while taking it. I never feel hungry and when I do eat, I don't eat near as much. (I've heard this effects everyone differently) it did make me yawn continuously when first starting it, and I took it at bedtime due to afraid it would make me sleepy. That side effect did go away. I still have great energy during the day, doesn't make me want to sleep or feel draggy. Doesn't effect my sleep of a night. Only bad thing I have to say is I noticed a huge difference quickly with sex drive. Other than that, great drug and as I said before, every drug effects people differently so that may not be an issue with someone else. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Best. I started taking this and thought oh this isn't going to help me... It was maybe 2 months in and I didn't feel different. After about 4 months taking it I was a completely different person when it came to my anxiety and panic attacks. I completely stopped having them and I was just overall a more stress free person. By far one of my favorites.. I recommend this to anyone that has very bad anxiety and doesn't want to be on something addictive like benzodiazepines."

Suezi q August 29, 2016

"This drug literally saved my life. I had bad anxiety and couldn't go out of the house. I didn't want to take it at first in fear of losing control and having this drug take over my thoughts. I decided to give it a shot at 10mg... Took a few nights of sleeplessness, tossing turning, body sweats. I didn't give up on it ... Then suddenly i got used to it and had to up my dose to 20mg. I began to feel normal again. I was able to go out without feeling like I was gonna have an anxiety attack. I was able to get a job as a paramedic. Going on 4 years as a medic! No anxiety attacks! My moods have been stable. I'm glad I stuck with it. I never miss a dose. Don't be ashamed or scared of your mental health. Take it seriously"

Cit-user August 29, 2016

"I want to say that before Celexa i was very depressed and my anxiety level was very high. I't been on 20mg of Celex, for the past 2 weeks now and i can tell you, its worked wonderfully. I don't feel depressed my anxiety is much better than i have felt in a long time I haven't even had a crying spells like i used to for the past two weeks now. I now actually do what i plan to do without changing my mind like i normally do. I recommend this med it has worked for me. I have more energetic and happy and I't might not work for you but I'ts worth trying!"

ccv August 28, 2016

"I have had diverticulitis for year's, have been in the hospital 3 times with it. Doctors told me it was the foods I ate, I tried to tell them I watch what I eat and don't eat anything that would bring a flare up. Then the last time I was in the hospital the ER doctor put me on Citalopram for anxisty, I had no side affects, things didn't upset me as much anymore. I have been on it for over a year and no flare ups of diverticulitis. I can eat anything now with no problem, this drug may not work for everyone. But for me it saved my life."

Bodieboy August 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was originally on Buspar but for some reason the anxiety started to come back. So I went to my PCP and after talking options it was decided 10mg of Celexa would help. So this is the 17th day on Cit and things seem to be starting to even out.Had stomach issues on days 1-3 but went away. Sexual effects also popped up but after checking with the wife things still work on request, but just takes a bit longer.One thing that's certainly still there is the increased anxiety. It's not as bad as it was but still there.If you decide to go with this this really can make the anxiety worse.So between the 60mg of Buspar, the occasional Propranolol for the days the anxiety is super bad cuz of Celexa (which is getting better) I think this drug will work."

Thunder111 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"I've only been taking this medication for a week so I can't say whether or not it will work, but so far side effects have been anxiety heightened more than before, which is the primary reason for me taking it. I wake up in full blown panic, and it's happened throughout the day as well. I have a lack of appetite, and cannot sleep through the night. At one point I even had suicidal thoughts, which I have never had in my life. Keep in mind this medication affects everyone differently."

Alexa676 August 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started on Celexa 20mg for anxiety in hopes to stop my Xanax. 6 hours after my 2nd dose I felt VERY IRRITABLE my skin felt like it was burning, I was at work and in my bosses office and stripped of my clothes and I couldn't help it. I felt jittery and like I wasn't myself. I will never take this again"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have had panic attacks and anxiety for many years. This year, I found out that I had colon cancer, got referred to a surgeon and had surgery within 2 weeks. I found that the panic attacks and anxiety, sometimes sadness and crying bouts started as I began to recover and process this experience. My doctor recommended Celexa over Cymbalta because she said that with women in particular, this was better for anxiety as opposed to depression. So far, I've found that the drug makes me sleepy and a little muddled in thinking right after I take it. I did have some nausea, but that went away quickly. I'm switching to taking it at night since I feel pretty good about 12 hours after taking it. It does relieve anxiety and am panic attacks."

Osepha August 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) I was previously on cipralex and felt like a zombie taking it. I didn't want to take it anymore so my doctor prescribed me celexa about a month ago. I have a bit of a hard time sleeping, tossing and turning but overall I do get my rest. I feel drowsy after the first few hours of taking it. Little bit irritable sometimes, short of patience. Over all I'm not overthinking at night anymore, not stressing nearly as much and actually have motivation to do the things I want to."

Jayme12345 August 8, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I took Celexa for 2 weeks and quit because the side effects are INSANE. I rolled for the first 3 days. I felt AMAZING... waves of euphoria, pretty dancing rainbows, everything sensory felt incredible BUT I had no emotion or empathy and only cared about feeling good and stopped caring about people in my life or work. Had no regard for consequences, yelled at people who "ruined my vibe", refused to help people at work. Day 3 I jumped from 6 cigarettes a day to a pack and a half because it felt so good to smoke. Treated my husband as a personal servant only there to make me feel good and yelled at him if I was slightly bothered. No anxiety at all, but turned me into a hedonistic jerk who cared about nothing but immediate sensory gratification."

CelexaWasLikeMDMAforMe (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "First time ever trying any medication for anxiety which I have struggled with for years. I took Celexa for 6 days 10/mg once a day. Throughout taking it, I noticed that my feelings started to dull. Everything was very level and it was hard to be anxious - or excited, or happy, or really much of anything. I got sexual side effects starting on the 3rd day, which was the deal breaker for me. As much as I liked that it calmed my racing thoughts, the constant fog, feeling of not being myself/me, and the inability to orgasm made it no-go for me. Celexa WAS effective for my GAD / social anxiety, but the side effects were terrible."

sketchai (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I am a 35 year old mom of 2. I've always tried to manage my anxiety on my own by always keeping active. The more I stayed focused on a task, the less I worried about something else. Losing my father, going through a separation, 5 deaths in my family in less then 3 years. I wasn't happy with my career and I had all of this on my mind being a single mom. I managed, I continued to smile, I didn't feel sad all the time. I just became a worry animal. I would lash out, get angry, scream and panic. Still through all of my anxiety I tried to do it on my own. Until my doctor prescripted Celexa. One day I noticed a difference. It's been 1 year and I am living a much fuller and happy life. The meds have helped me relax and breath for once in my life."

NATC July 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "My doctor prescribed this for my Menopausal mood swings and headaches. It worked for a while and then I started having profuse sweating, not that I needed any help in that department due to my hot flashes! I would be soaked at work and if I just did the smallest chore at home. I weaned off and am now trying Effexor."

JustANurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

"I have been taking this med for two weeks now. I am starting to feel a bit better. I take 10mg once a day. First 4 days I had insomnia, sweating and feeling tired. Now I can't tell I have any side effects. Everyday it seems to be better. Feeling more motivated and regained clear mind. My doctor told me I will be on this need at least 1 year. I am going through separation and med was given for stress and anxiety. I would recommend this med to everyone . It's helping me."

Umolown July 26, 2016

"Ive had an amazing experience with this drug, I've been on it for close to over a year, because of my lifestyle and work I was always in high stress environments and I had anxiety to begin with. A lot of my personality traits before I started citalopram were similar to one's of borderline personality disorder (though I don't actually have bpd) I take 20 MG. After about a month I could feel my mood increase and work started to seem a lot less frustrating, my only side effect is I bruise easily but I already did before the drug so to me it's not a huge deal. It's amazing how helpful this drug has been for me, it's created me any positive things for me, I feel almost "normal". I recommend you take it DAILY. Don't give up on this pill"

StressedBartender (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on this medication for a week, after switching from Zoloft. My doctor started me on 20mg. I made the mistake of immediately going online to read reviews. Instead, my advice is to let the medication start to take effect. You will make yourself feel worse if you read the negative reviews. I can say that one week on this medication has turned out better than my previous medication. Everyone is different, so I think I found the one that works. Initially, you may have some insomnia, but it will pass once you start to feel more relaxed. I did have some tingly feelings in the hands, but that passed after day 4. I felt a head rush of sorts the first 5-6 days, where I felt high, but it too passed for me."

StressedMommy July 21, 2016

"I took Citralopram in the hope it help with anxiety. First day had minor side effects. Just felt a bit spaced out. Like I couldn't think 100% clearly. A bit anxious. Didn't feel 'normal'. Second day I thought I'd try taking them in the evening instead, in the hope that the side effect would be less throughout the following day, This was a mistake. Couldn't get to sleep all night, tossing and turning, sweating, felt wired. Third day, Took in the morning again. The best way I can describe the feeling is the same as I feel the morning after taking ecstasy/ MDMA. Jaw clenching. dilated pupils. A kind of speedy, disconnected and weak feeling. On edge. Decided to stop taking them but still feel weird 2 days on :/"

James Drew (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

"I have been on citalopram (generic of Celexa) for just under two months now. At first, my anxiety was worse which my doc said was to be expected. After about 4 weeks, I started to notice a slight difference. The only side effects I have noticed are that I am fatigued and loss of appetite. It is a huuuuge struggle for me to eat. I make myself so I don't starve and mess up my metabolism, but it's a chore. Other than that, I really like the rx and would recommend it. I have tried zoloft and prozac- of the three, I like citalopram most."

Hopefull28 July 19, 2016

"I've only been on 10mg of citalopram for a week but I already feel more calm on it. I take it at night, I haven't noticed a lack of sex drive, shakiness or anything like that. My Dr did say that the 1st week on it can be the worse for anxiety but that it would get better. I honestly haven't noticed that my anxiety has been worse, if anything it has definitely taken the edge off. I've had PTSD for the past 15 years. playing sports and eating healthy has always made me feel better but I recently suffered a torn PCL while playing ice hockey and not being able to do any physical activities has left me quite frustrated and depressed. I'm hoping the Rx will only be temp until I can have surgery and get back to physical activities."

30yr old mom of two. -kim July 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was just prescribed this yesterday. I'm starting at 20mg. After my first dose, I already feel better. I had a peaceful calm feeling. I've tried every ssri except for paxil and i think I've found the one. I switched from luvox. It was ok but felt like something else would be better. Especially because of luvox side effects. The other plus to celexa is I'm not hungry. I've gained 30lbs previously from zoloft. I've lost some since stopping. I'm hoping celexa continues to help with weight loss. I've got a good feeling about this."

Lalm July 15, 2016