User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I am a 35 year old mom of 2. I've always tried to manage my anxiety on my own by always keeping active. The more I stayed focused on a task, the less I worried about something else. Losing my father, going through a separation, 5 deaths in my family in less then 3 years. I wasn't happy with my career and I had all of this on my mind being a single mom. I managed, I continued to smile, I didn't feel sad all the time. I just became a worry animal. I would lash out, get angry, scream and panic. Still through all of my anxiety I tried to do it on my own. Until my doctor prescripted Celexa. One day I noticed a difference. It's been 1 year and I am living a much fuller and happy life. The meds have helped me relax and breath for once in my life."

NATC July 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "My doctor prescribed this for my Menopausal mood swings and headaches. It worked for a while and then I started having profuse sweating, not that I needed any help in that department due to my hot flashes! I would be soaked at work and if I just did the smallest chore at home. I weaned off and am now trying Effexor."

JustANurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

"I have been taking this med for two weeks now. I am starting to feel a bit better. I take 10mg once a day. First 4 days I had insomnia, sweating and feeling tired. Now I can't tell I have any side effects. Everyday it seems to be better. Feeling more motivated and regained clear mind. My doctor told me I will be on this need at least 1 year. I am going through separation and med was given for stress and anxiety. I would recommend this med to everyone . It's helping me."

Umolown July 26, 2016

"Ive had an amazing experience with this drug, I've been on it for close to over a year, because of my lifestyle and work I was always in high stress environments and I had anxiety to begin with. A lot of my personality traits before I started citalopram were similar to one's of borderline personality disorder (though I don't actually have bpd) I take 20 MG. After about a month I could feel my mood increase and work started to seem a lot less frustrating, my only side effect is I bruise easily but I already did before the drug so to me it's not a huge deal. It's amazing how helpful this drug has been for me, it's created me any positive things for me, I feel almost "normal". I recommend you take it DAILY. Don't give up on this pill"

StressedBartender (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on this medication for a week, after switching from Zoloft. My doctor started me on 20mg. I made the mistake of immediately going online to read reviews. Instead, my advice is to let the medication start to take effect. You will make yourself feel worse if you read the negative reviews. I can say that one week on this medication has turned out better than my previous medication. Everyone is different, so I think I found the one that works. Initially, you may have some insomnia, but it will pass once you start to feel more relaxed. I did have some tingly feelings in the hands, but that passed after day 4. I felt a head rush of sorts the first 5-6 days, where I felt high, but it too passed for me."

StressedMommy July 21, 2016

"I took Citralopram in the hope it help with anxiety. First day had minor side effects. Just felt a bit spaced out. Like I couldn't think 100% clearly. A bit anxious. Didn't feel 'normal'. Second day I thought I'd try taking them in the evening instead, in the hope that the side effect would be less throughout the following day, This was a mistake. Couldn't get to sleep all night, tossing and turning, sweating, felt wired. Third day, Took in the morning again. The best way I can describe the feeling is the same as I feel the morning after taking ecstasy/ MDMA. Jaw clenching. dilated pupils. A kind of speedy, disconnected and weak feeling. On edge. Decided to stop taking them but still feel weird 2 days on :/"

James Drew (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

"I have been on citalopram (generic of Celexa) for just under two months now. At first, my anxiety was worse which my doc said was to be expected. After about 4 weeks, I started to notice a slight difference. The only side effects I have noticed are that I am fatigued and loss of appetite. It is a huuuuge struggle for me to eat. I make myself so I don't starve and mess up my metabolism, but it's a chore. Other than that, I really like the rx and would recommend it. I have tried zoloft and prozac- of the three, I like citalopram most."

Hopefull28 July 19, 2016

"I've only been on 10mg of citalopram for a week but I already feel more calm on it. I take it at night, I haven't noticed a lack of sex drive, shakiness or anything like that. My Dr did say that the 1st week on it can be the worse for anxiety but that it would get better. I honestly haven't noticed that my anxiety has been worse, if anything it has definitely taken the edge off. I've had PTSD for the past 15 years. playing sports and eating healthy has always made me feel better but I recently suffered a torn PCL while playing ice hockey and not being able to do any physical activities has left me quite frustrated and depressed. I'm hoping the Rx will only be temp until I can have surgery and get back to physical activities."

30yr old mom of two. -kim July 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was just prescribed this yesterday. I'm starting at 20mg. After my first dose, I already feel better. I had a peaceful calm feeling. I've tried every ssri except for paxil and i think I've found the one. I switched from luvox. It was ok but felt like something else would be better. Especially because of luvox side effects. The other plus to celexa is I'm not hungry. I've gained 30lbs previously from zoloft. I've lost some since stopping. I'm hoping celexa continues to help with weight loss. I've got a good feeling about this."

Lalm July 15, 2016

"I have always had EXTREME anxiety, ever since I started puberty basically. Social situations intensified it, but I always had it. It was something I could never shut off, I always was very tense especially in the neck and back region. I couldn't even feel comfortable walking around in my own house it was so severe. Once I finally came to my doctor with this I was prescribed citalopram. I noticed the effect of the medication within about a day. It was amazing. Every time I felt anxiety coming on it was blocked. I still feel anxiety when it's appropriate, like meeting a guy, or trying something new; the normal things that you get anxious or nervous about. But I can finally relax and think straight all the time now and I've never felt so good."

Madison145789 July 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on Celexa for years, just some advice for people who take this medication. If your feeling sick drink a glass of milk and cut down on your water in take, your just flushing it out your system. 20 year plus anxiety suffer,"

road ready July 12, 2016

"I had Terrible obsessive thoughts and anxiety for years which started when I was 20 after I had my daughter my nan died and it became so crippling I was in able to cope and although I'm against medication I know my daughter came first And she needs a happy mummy. I went on them 10mg at first but as it made me feel worse I was literally a wreak so doctor started me at 5mg and built me up to 20mg over 6 weeks and as it makes u feel worse before better he gave me some diazapam just to take the edge of while I was getting used to it within 6 weeks I started to feel better I came of the diazapam and stayed on 20mg for 4 years now I felt awesome I was a new woman happy strong and my career flew off. Weight gain def 30,lbs but better than panic"

Blondie201123 July 12, 2016

"I had insomnia and anxiety, probably mixed with a little depression. My doctor put me on Citalopram and sent me for CBT therapy for the insomnia and anxiety. I also did the 6 week self help book Sleepio programme for insomnia, yoga, regular exercise and mindfulness meditation that I would highly recommend. The combination worked wonders! The Citalopram took about 6 weeks to kick in but I definitely still feel happier on it than off! I find that I smile more and people smile back. I was on anti depressants when I was younger but they seemed to cut off parts of the brain whereas Citalopram has a 'good feel' factor! It works for me!"

Calmer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

"Great drug at first makes u feel a lot more calmer and happier but soon wears off and u get used to it"

Kirsty1990 July 4, 2016

"Reasonably better"

Lbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Im 16 years old, before i started taking celexa i was experiencing panick attacks about everynight. I didnt know what was going on with me at all. I was so scared all the time i thought i was going to die, have a stroke, have a heart attack, etc. but of course that was from the panick attacks but i didnt know better it's very hard living with anxiety at 16 years of age, but both my mother and my father have it. anyways i went to see my doctor, told him what i was experiencing and he knew right away just from the way i was explaining it and the way i was reacting. First he put me on 20mg of it the first couple weeks i noticed a big difference but was still anxious! Now im on 40mg and i feel great not 100% but way better! 6-7 weeks on it!!"

DylanBra4716 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"I started citalopram at 20mg and remained on this dose for approximately eight weeks, but increased to 30mg due to lack of efficacy. Due to a significant decline in my mood, I had withdrawn citalopram and had done so in increments of 10mg. It did not reduce my anxiety or depression. The side effects were minimal, though I occasionally experienced nausea whilst taking this drug. I cannot say for sure whether if it intensified my depression, but there was absolutely no improvement."

xDan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I rarely post online reviews, but I recognize that most people only post reviews when they don't like something, so I wanted to sort of offset that here. I'm in my mid-twenties and female. I've suffered with severe anxiety and depression for several years due to trauma. Enter Celexa. To be fair, I went to therapy for several months before deciding to go on medication (and was feeling a bit better), but I still experienced severe anxiety that the therapy wasn't helping. I started feeling better after the first week on Celexa, and things have only improved from there. I've been taking it for around three months and my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. I've had no sexual side effects whatsoever, no weight gain, no issues."

QuietWaffle (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "So far so good. I m only four days into taking it. I take it at lunchtime everyday, and notice I get a bit drowsy and yawn like crazy for a couple of hours after I take it. HOWEVER, my anxiety is already feeling better so this side effect is nothing in comparison! My anxiety was becoming debilitating, just so much stress... lost my mom to cancer, my cat passed away, going through a possible separation, just horribly stressful situations now. I have a lot of support from my family and friends and feel like this is first step in getting back in check."

Hadleyogram June 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was diagnosed with panic disorder over a year ago and basically was a wreck. I couldn't drive, leave the house, even talk on the phone. I sought out a psychiatrist who put me on Paxil...it helped me get my life back, but, it also made me restless, zombified, and I gained 30 pounds (I'm normally quite thin)..I moved and got a different doctor who put me on Celexa 20 mg because she claimed it had less side effects and my weight would go back to normal. Boy, was she right. It was a rough week of med transition, but I can sleep again normal, I feel more alert and less groggy during the day, still can orgasm, and I'm slowly going down on my weight. I love this medication."

Boneflowers (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was prescribed 20mg but found that I felt stupid and slow and I had some sexual side effects.. not all bad either..I could go foreverrr. I went down to 10 mg and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. Has been a life changer tho, I felt as tho my brain was ADHD and this let's me form clearer trains of thought, reduces my social anxiety and helps my depression. Sexual side effects seem to have gone away also. The one complaint is that each new script seems to be slightly different (good luck not getting generics) and it takes a few days to adjust. 90 day scripts with half a pill means 180 days between bottles so not a huge deal but certainly worth mentioning."

No not gonna tell ya who i am June 21, 2016

"After toughing it out with anxiety for many years I went to a Dr,. he prescribed Paxil I took it and it increased my problems 10 times. I never went back so I've lived with anxiety with the help of kolonopin up until 6 months ago when I couldn't take the 3 am panic attacks anymore and the daytime paranoia, " OMG what if anything happens" My new Dr. prescribed Celexa, I took 10mg and couldn't sleep for 3 nights, I went back to the Dr. and he reduced the dosage to 2.5 mg. Within three nights the panic attacks stopped and I could sleep. I went back again and we increased it to 5 mg.Three months later increased it back to 10 mg.We will see where this all goes, but I do feel better and plan to stick with this Dr. and this medication."

BuggyHair (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

"I have been taking citalopram for less then a week now. I have most of the side effects insomnia , feeling detached and more anxious. The only thing that is keeping me going is the positive reviews on here. I know that it is meant to get worse before it gets better but do people know how long this takes ? The first 2 days I took 20mg and felt quite out of it so I went down to half a pill 10 mg for a couple of days. Now I am back on the 20mg and still feeling quite rough. Tried to go out and carry on with my normal life and fainted while I was out. Don't think that's to do with the pills but my overall condition of feeling stressed and weak. I am praying and hoping this works."

147tve June 11, 2016

"18 months ago I was given prozac for depression and anxiety, which made me feel like a zombie, so the doctor changed to citalopram. I looked online and read that it would be very likely that I would feel worse before I feel better. I was given 20mg and felt terrible for about 3 weeks but knew I had to see it through as I had been on the verge of suicide previously. After about a month I suddenly felt like there was hope. This lasted a few weeks but then I felt the depression/ anxiety returning. Over the next couple of months my dosage was put up to 40 mg and this turned out to be the right dose for me.I specifically just waking up one day and feeling different, like my head was just free from worry and I was thinking happy thoughts."

catmagcash May 19, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "this worked in beginning-then gave me insomnia, restless leg syndrome, shakes and more angry. It could no longer take it ,I had to get off."

lisamariemarie May 10, 2016