User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on and off of citalopram for the past 5 years (mostly on). I deal with GAD, depression, and PTSD. The therapeutic dose of 20 mg was what I was on initially, bumped to 40 as stress increased. This drug really helped me deal with my mixed bag of symptoms effectively. However, it caused anorgasma. Also caused a chronically stuffed nose as the dose increased."

BJ1097 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 49 years old and I started having panic attacks and anxiety again. It first started when I had a surgery to extract my thyroid many years ago. I tried other medications but Citalopram was the only one that made me feel good again. I have been taking 20 mg for more than 2 years and the only side effect I have is dry mouth. Actually I do not even realize it. I can't imagine flying or staying in closed places without taking it."

LuciaM September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from anxiety/depression decided to go to the doctor after sometime being that I just couldn't handle it anymore without some kind of meds. They started me on 20 mg which seemed to help but not quite to 100% yet! She then had me take 30 mg for a week and bumped it up to 40 mg but honestly it's to much I literally feel like I'm just "there" I feel physically exhausted it's a bad feeling and I'm still dealing with day to day anxiety but definitely not as bad as it was. I'm going to go back to 20 mg till I see my doctor again. Hate this awful feeling I have almost like a zombie it's like my brain is in a fog or something. I'm hoping she can add something to it I definitely can't go any higher then 20 mg"

Kaylily September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Citalopram for about 8 months. I was having severe migraines due to anxiety and had no prior diagnosis. It was all new to me but it made sense. My doctor started me on citalopram by prescribing 20 mg but cutting them and taking half for about a week. At first my head felt fuzzy but I can honestly say this medication has helped me return to my normal self. I'm usually skeptical of taking prescriptions but my husband even said that I was my normal self again. The only side effect I've outright experienced that I'm aware of, is if I forget to take it for a day or 2 I get terrible headaches. It makes me nervous that my body now relies on it and starts to go through withdrawal if I don't have it. However, it has truly helped!"

HHib August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I suffered from extreme panic attacks, lack of concentration, constant worry, and restlessness which led to a stint of sleep deprivation. I am currently 2 and a half weeks in and have gone through the gamut of side effects: increased anxiety, night sweats, tiredness and loss of sexual desire. But I can gladly say that these side effects are already seemingly disappearing and I CAN FOCUS AGAIN!!! It's amazing, my sense of humor isn't back yet as I am generally sarcastic which I am struggling hard with right now, but ultimately I can feel the drug working. My girlfriend doesn't think I'm completely insane (which is nice) and I feel like I am on the better side of the Celexa now."

JoeTurner August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"With any psych med, always use the LOWEST EFFECTIVE DOSE. If your doctor starts you on 5 or 10mg and you already feel better, just stay there. Less is more. SSRIs mess with your sleep architecture and the long-term sleep deprivation will make you gradually more depressed and tired, and you might not realize it's the citalopram because it's making you too tired and stupid to figure it out. I gradually increased the dose until I was on 40mg for 2 years and my life feel apart. Most people do NOT do well on 40mg, and I'm angry that my doctor portrayed it as a moderate dose. Anything above 20mg made me too tired to function without loads of caffeine. Doctors please be more conservative in your dosing."

v.h. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Mom was put on 10 mg. Then Dr. increased to 20 mg and her husband passed away and Dr. increased to 40 mg. She kept falling, blacking out, dizzy spells. I kept asking Dr. if it could be any of her medications and they said no. Then she started having signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. On her first diagnosis she was diagnosed with advanced alz. We saw no signs or family history of Alz. You see that coming 4-5 years out. After fighting this for 4 months after diagnosis, I decided the only thing that was changed was adding Celexa, so I weened her off Celexa and in 3 weeks w had our Mom back from Alz, state that she was in."

Bet123 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best SSRI ever. No side effects and it really works for my panic and anxiety. I think if this drug didn't do what it is doing I may have taken my life"

Ruby j August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this."

Thankfulforthis (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 64 year old woman. I had suffered depression and anxiety for many years especially since early hysterectomy. I dealt with it and functioned. A smiling depressive. I needed to have a firm talk to myself to force me to socialise with colleagues who never knew the struggle. I could become an emotional wreck when alone over a TV advert. I started citalopram. In the beginning bizarre unpleasant dreams were disturbing. But they settled. Things have definitely improved. I still suffer from anxiety, fatigue & insomnia. However that overwhelming feeling of hopelessness of waiting for god as it were has left me. I can take pleasure out of things without wanting to cry. Life is certainly improved since commencing the drug."

Anonymously sent July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A great lessening of anxiety after taking for a month. Calm feeling."

Redhead24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First three weeks were difficult but remember this is a mind altering drug. Once it became part of me so to speak I felt a lot better but hypnotherapy has made a massive difference too I have learnt a lot of coping techniques. Still on citalopram after 30 months but feeling great."

AnxiousAndy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Honestly doesn't do much for me. Still has big panic attacks. Still has bad anxiety."

Eiko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I went thru a very difficult time being hurt at work,.I could have easily been killed. The company making moves to fire me cuz I costs them $ for my 'free medical ". Accident was another employee's negligence. Long story. Plus legal. etc etc With celexa, my anxiety , stress, depression levels became under control. I was able to return back to a resemblance of a human being Was at 40mg to start. Weaned down to 30mg. Then when legal became intense, 40mg. No good settlements in these cases but my sanity is returning. And coping better. Highly recommend. Side effect was being tired until my body adjusted. At least got covered by Workers Comp insurance. In Ca, that's a miracle because for injured parties, you're fortunate that insurance pays ."

jmcom111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only five days in. So still feeling the initial side affects. Dizzy headache nauseous. But changed from morning to night time last night and must say feel somewhat better for it. I've read all of these reviews and find most of them positive. So I'm hopeful after a few weeks I'll start to feel a bit like my old self again. Been suffering for 7 years and decided that enough was enough."

Scoots153 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I started taking this after increased anxiety/panic/depersonalization/derealization after starting a birth control pill (BeYaz).. Celexa has helped my symptoms but I stopped taking my birth control and it has made a WORLD of a difference in my mood. My anxiety and panic are almost gone.. I've only been on Celexa for 1 month.. and I stopped my birth control 2-3 weeks ago.. Please check into your birth control. I've NEVER had depression in my life but after starting the birth control I had CONSTANT crying spells, anxiety, panic, etc. Celexa is helping but I think this was all caused by the birth control. Please be careful!!"

linds00000000000000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is update to my original comment in late January earlier this year. Still taking 20 mg daily. Still feeling great. Been on 6 months. Its really amazing. Sadness (depression) completely gone. General anxiety gone. When situational stress occurs it feels lesser and tolerable. The truth is the medicine blocks emotional or physcological pain. It probably blocks super emotional highs also but its an easy trade. Side effects are appetite increase (because you are happy and not anxious) occasional night sweats sleeping, delayed orgasm but good if you had premature orgasm issue. This med is wonderful and no need to suffer emotional pain forever. Live happy today."

njehealedcontinued June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started citalopram about 2 year ago. I was always on edge. Everything made me mad and stressed out. I started on 20mg. I had a hard time with it at first. It made me clench my jaw and my hands I felt like I was in a fog. It took about 6 weeks before all the bad symptoms went away. I am so happy that I stuck it out. I handle situations better, I have never been more happy. I just started on 40mg now and I will say it makes me a little nauseous. The only down side is that it makes me have a low libido. I will never go without this drug. I just wish I would have had it many years before"

Tee age 52 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 47 yrs old and female. I have had issues with my mood around my periods since having my children. It's like a roller coaster every month. The closer to "That time" the more emotional I become! I had spoke to 3 different doctors, over the years, and got no help. One told me to go on birth control, another said to see an OB, the best told me it must just be my personality!!! Finally found a Dr who would listen! I had tension headaches and mood swings. He gave me citalopram 10mg and a muscle relaxer (as needed). After a year and a half, I have not had mood swings like I did before! I wish the others would have listened to me earlier. I would definitely suggest this medication! My only side effect is sleepiness, so I take it at night"

MamaSandD June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Please try!!!!! I was like you reading these reviews scared to death to start taking this drug. I am so glad I did. The first 2 weeks I felt Iike I was pregnant. Nauseous and sleepy. After that I just gradually started feeling better. Anxiety has gone and life is on the up and up. I should have taken this 20 years ago. All the worries sort of just fade away. Good luck and please give it a shot!"

Mag pie June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off on a really low dose. Which I felt made a slight difference to my mood, but none whatsoever on my anxiety. When I increased the dose... it still didn't make any difference, but made me very fatigued and gave me really intense stomach pains. So, not a good experience for me."

Kinsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017