User Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Also known as: Celexa

Citalopram has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 840 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety and Stress. 66% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram

Nb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “This medication brought me out of such a dark place. I have struggled with severe anxiety which had manifested into severe depression so I started 20mg of celexa at night. At first I took 10mg for one week and let me tell you, my side effects were AWFUL. I couldn’t sleep, my anxiety was horrific, I had brain fog all day, and my brain was going a mile a minute. However, after 2 or 3 weeks the side effects went away almost completely, and now I have none. I am so much less anxious of a person, and just overall way more happy and outgoing! I used to be so anxious about everything but now I feel like I can handle whatever is thrown my way! So yes while the first couple weeks can be horrific, for me it was all worth it as this medication truely does work!”

Shawana312 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2021

Celexa (citalopram): “Hey Everyone, Thank you for sharing your testimonies. I am 45 years old. I had my first experience with anxiety and panic at 37. I was hospitalized because I didn't know what was going on with me. I kept running to emergency room but my physical being would check out ok. That's when I was admitted to Psych and discovered I had Anxiety and Depression. Hardest thing I ever went through in life. Well recently I just went through it again. Racing thoughts, sleepless night, hopelessness, feelings of doom. I started back on celexa 20mgs and was worried it wasn't working. I came here read comments and found hope to stick it out and as the weeks passed felt better and better.. at 3 weeks I felt better. 4 weeks little of no racing thoughts or worry. 5 weeks completely in better mood. 6 weeks felt normal again. I still have some worry but not nearly as bad. Hang in there”

Anonymous January 29, 2021

Celexa (citalopram): “I'd taken celexa 10mg in my teens. I got off celexa when I reached my 20s. At 26 years old that's when panic attacks started. It was so bad I couldn't leave house as I was afraid I would get dizzy and faint if I went any where. I started back on celexa, not sure if I was 20mg or 10mg. Because DR. prescribed 20mg but I think I cut them in half to 10mg. Celexa worked great, the attacks had went away. From what I remember I had no side effects from taking Celexa before. I took it for 2 years and got off. I'm now 32 years old and the panic attacks started again. Today is my 2nd day on celexa 20mg. Side effects are horrible. I feel weird and having panic attacks. Hands, feet sweat, trembling, heart racing, numbness. I've been reading reviews of others are going through the same and they are saying to stick through it as it's great outcome. I called Dr and suggested I half pill to 10mg and take at night instead of morning. I pray for all those facing this battle. We'll get through this in Jesus name.”

Sarah_87 May 18, 2021

“I always said that I would write a post on here if I ever got over my mental breakdown, so here goes... I had a miscarriage and this triggered my first ever panic attack in 2017. I felt like I was dying and the world was fading around me. After this attack I couldn't relax, fearing that it will happen again. I became totally obsessed with monitoring myself and trying to remain calm (which meant I was constantly anxious 24/7). The person I used to be was completely gone for almost a year. I broke down at the docs and was prescribed 20mg citalopram. First week side effects were electric feelings in my body. No improvement till week 7 when I suddenly felt free from my mind for 20 secs. I'd get more of these little snapshots of normality where I could remember how it feels to be safe in my own skin. By 6 months on I was fully recovered and remain that way 2 years on. You can get 100% better. When you overcome fear anything is possible.”

Edog February 2, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “Just wanna know I’ve taken Celexa 2 years ago for 3 to 4 months and after I felt like I was fixed! Fast forward to now and my anxiety has never been as bad as it is now... so I’m back on celexa day 5 and I get this crazy heart beat feeling in my chest and crazy hot flashes feels like my skin is burning.. I just wanna know if it gets any better because I didn’t have this the first time. Can anyone relate to the side effects I’m having”

Lee Lee · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 24, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “I started this medication in 2009 and started with 20mg. Last summer I went down to 10 mg. I started off ok and was still having some anxiety. Fast forward to March 28, 2020 and I had a full blown panic attack and thought I was dying. This happened at 3:00 am. I had my husband call 911. Thought I was having a heart attack. I started the next day on 20 mg. It’s. Now been over 7 weeks and I’m not 100 % but I’m doing so much better. You have to bare with the some symptoms, headache, A little off. Hold on it will get better, I promise. This anxiety and panic attacks, I wouldn’t wish on anyone! Take care of yourself. Also use an app to help you stay calm.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2021

“I started citalopram at the lowest point in my life mentally. Since starting, my anxiety is completely gone, I don’t overthink every intricate detail of my life for hours. As a consequence I have got my life back together, stopping steroids, getting a new job, being able to study better at uni, getting back into amateur boxing and meeting my current girlfriend. None of this would have been achievable without Citalopram. It has helped me in many ways and this is just the start. Other positive side effects where feeling calmer, having a constant stable mood. Essentially it has allowed me to live my life without wanting to end it every time I wake up.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

“I’m on day 6. I’m experiencing really uneasy feeling in head, nausea, worse anxiety. Hoping this goes away as I’m at my wits end! Has anyone else experienced like I say this weird uncomfortable feeling in there head/ eyes”

Judy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

“It took just over 5 weeks for 20mg dose to work to calm my anxiety. During those weeks I was in a terrible state so frightened and unable to sleep I really thought I was losing my mind. So many times I thought of stopping but decided I would give it 6 weeks and I'm glad I did. The strange thing is at 3 weeks I had 2 or 3 good days and thought I was making good progress but then I went backwards. I decided to score each day out of 10 and hovered around 2 for a long time but I gradually started to improve and the score increased. I'm writing this to give hope to anyone struggling in the early weeks. I now feel like the old me, my mood is good, I don't dwell on negative thoughts and I sleep much better.”

Thankfulforthis · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 29, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): “I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2021

Celexa (citalopram): “I’ve been taking 20mg Celexa (generic version) for 27 days now and in the last week have started feeling the positive effects. Thank goodness because oh lordy, did I ever have EVERY side effect for the first 2-2.5 weeks! Deep tiredness, nausea, diarrhea, brain fog/spacey-ness, those were the most prominent ones. I really wanted to quit but kept going, and I’m glad I did. Finally over the last couple days the bad side effects have subsided considerably and I can feel the positives: happiness, lightness, no more sinking feelings, renewed interest, patience, and a more relaxed mind. I am smiling at people. If you’re having all the side effects, hang in there! Stick it out, take Imodium and/or Zofran, eat crackers and ginger ale, etc with the hope that it may be totally worth it. Hang on for that breakthrough. I’m a newly minted Celexa believer!”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

Celexa (citalopram): “Week 5 & I feel human again. I had all of the side effects, increased anxiety, panic attacks, no appetite, diarrhoea, headache, nausea & just not feeling connected to my brain (really spacey) but today is week 5 & I actually laughed & felt a lot better! I prayed that I would feel some light & it’s here. I’m glad I didn’t give up, I thought I’d feel awful forever but they’re definitely working & I feel like my old self again.”

BubbaSpartan October 12, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “I started Celexa during COVID-19. I always had high anxiety but COVID pushed me over the edge. My anxiety got to the point that I ended up in the hospital with a panic attack. My doctor started me on 20 mg of Celexa. The side effects were a little rough at first and included nausea, some random spasms, trouble sleeping and a feeling of falling shortly after sleep. However, after about 2 weeks they subsided. The positive far out weigh the negatives. My anxiety is under control now. I'm able to live my life without constant worry. Things that used to be major stressors are now tolerable. I sometimes have to be a little careful because I feel like I'm too comfortable and don't worry enough. The one major long term side effect has been the lack of sex drive. Everything functions fine but my drive has been greatly reduced. I also feel like my emotions are slightly muted whereas before I was felt emotions very deeply, now they are slightly less intense.”

Man11 January 3, 2021

Celexa (citalopram): “I had a few bad anxiety attacks and my doctor put me on Zoloft which was the worse experience with a medication I’ve ever had. I had ton of side effects and despised the drug. The doctor urged me to try celexa and I’m so glad I did. I’ve had zero side effects while on this anxiety medicine and never felt better. I’ve had one episode since I’ve been on this I felt that I was getting stressed but that was short lived. I have completely stopped worrying about little things I shouldn’t be worrying about and my anxiety levels are almost zero. It’s amazing things that I use to stress about doesn’t even bother me anymore. So glad I tried this medication.”

Ruk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2020

“Started on citalopram after my IBS symptoms would not settle. Tried 10mg as a last resort. My IBS is completely gone but I also feel so much less stressed. Things that would have upset me are now like water on a ducks back. My job is stressful and last year I found it very hard. This year with citalopram I feel like I can cope with pretty much anything. I feel great mentally and physically and I haven’t noticed any side effects. I tell everyone that I’m on a miracle drug!”

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Celexa (citalopram): “I work for a large Fire Department. I was having a tough time with some bad calls. No sleep, always feeling like I'm in trouble, like I'm drowning and no one can help me. My doctor put me on Celexa and life came back. I worry about the things I need to be worried about and don't stress about the things that shouldn't stress me. I feel "normal" again. I believe it saved my career.”

JessTheMess February 26, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “To update from my last review: I've been taking it for a month now. I did only take half (the 5 MG) for a week and now I'm on the 10. I'm finding my moods to be SO much better already and I can describe my feeling as being "lighter"... like a grey cloud that was over me for whatever reason is just lighter and I'm more excited to do social things again. A relationship made my anxiety worse, then I would be moody, that would cause issues and it was a cycle so this has really helped my home life and work life too as things don't bother me. I will say ... I do feel less motivated at work - I guess just a side affect. My highs are still high tho, my lows just aren't as low. I'm friendlier and more positive at work (I just don't feel like doing that much of the boring monotony). Lastly, I can't tell a difference in my sex drive which is good. If you're anxious or moody, or just feel some heavy unexplained cloud, I definitely recommend trying this!”

Anonymous November 26, 2019

Celexa (citalopram): “I have been using celexa for a few weeks and I have seen a dramatic change in my anxiety and stress levels. Before taking this I would wake up every single morning in a state of panic and anxiety and since taking celexa I feel calm and alive again I can function I feel like I finally have my life back I feel like myself again. I feel soo wonderful!!!!!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2021

“At first I was skeptical, I was really scared to start taking it and thought it might change who I am or alter my personality, make me drowsy or gain a ton of weight. When I started taking it my anxiety went up a bit, probably because I was taking a new med and already in a really bad place. I’ve been patient and I’m now 3 and a half weeks in and I honestly feel great. I feel much less day to day, constant anxiety and I feel so much happier throughout the day. My mood has stabilized and I feel far less worried and and upset by the people, things and situations around me. I have more energy and I just feel more at ease if that makes sense. I honestly haven’t noticed any side effects either. I’m really happy I took the leap and started taking citalopram. I didn’t really realize how bad things were until I realized how much better I’m feeling now. I feel like I’m getting my life back and I’m starting to feel like myself again.”

bill71 September 23, 2014

Celexa (citalopram): “I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.”

Keighlar · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

Celexa (citalopram): “I started taking Citalopram about about 3 weeks ago for high blood pressure, increasing panic attacks, and generalized inability to keep my adrenaline down to healthy levels. I've been fighting my doctor about taking mood altering medication because I've been on the slew of Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, etc. a couple of decades ago. They didn't help and withdrawal was horrific. I am so glad that he talked me into trying Citalopram. The first day was really rough - gastrointestinal issues that rivalled my IBS, but ALL day. However, by the second and third day, that went away and a feeling of general well-being started to replace the panic. It's only been a few weeks, and I know many of the guides say you won't notice a difference right away, but I was lucky. I did start to notice a change after 1 week. So far, it's just this side of miraculous for me. I think I'd forgotten what hope and happiness felt like.”

MattXY134 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2021

“I tapered off citalopram completely about four weeks ago after taking it for two years. I noticed my anxiety was getting worse so I bit the bullet and started taking my 20 MG tablets again four days ago. It’s been a living nightmare since I started taking the med again. Extreme anxiety (worst I’ve ever had), panic attacks, night sweats, paranoia, nausea, etc. etc. I could use a little encouragement. Maybe somebody has had a similar experience to mine and would be willing to share. I’m going to stick it out but this is been very hard.”

Nat2021 June 22, 2021

“I’ve never realized that I’ve been struggling with anxiety all my life. Always thought that this was my personality to be snappy and reactive, and feeling my heart pound out of my chest was a norm. Fast forward few years I had a baby. My anxiety skyrocketed to the point I was not able to sleep. The baby slept through the night yet I couldn’t even though I was exhausted. Dr suggested citalopram. The first 1 week was hard. I experienced every side effect imaginable, however it started to ease up by the second week. I am now 4 weeks in. Although my sleep is still messed up, I have never felt this “OK” with life. I find myself in situations where I usually would be very frazzled feeling so at peace now. It’s like someone put a stop on the “flight or fight” mode. I’m writing this as I have spent weeks reading other ppl reviews, being petrified of taking an antidepressants. So far so good, I feel like some part of my old self is back. Stick it out, it does get better.”

INdigo · Taken for 10 years or more February 29, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “So, I was first on Celexa from 2001 till 2016 I felt it wasn't working so my dr prescribed Venlafaxine/Effexor XR. I ended up in the emergency room with a heart rate of 185bpm. Anyway.....I should have just stuck with Celexa. I am back on it after trying Prozac which made me nauseous for a year and gave me more anxiety. Celexa works for me. It takes away my anxiety. Its safe for me and I'll never go off of it or try another again. These past two years have been so bad. Getting off of Effexor brought me to my knees.”

Shaunna · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

Celexa (citalopram): “Okay so this is my first day taking it and it’s crazy I already feel a difference in my group today I was talking like crazy and wasn’t nervous at all and I feel like I have sooo much energy but I’m also tied bc I haven’t been sleeping bc of how much stress I’ve been under so I’ll update Next Wednesday to see how it is! I’m so excited to not feel so nervous all the time and depressed I’m so happy!”