User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"If I could give this medicine a 0 rating I would. Back when I first was suffering from a lot of anxiety, we had tried this before I tried xanax, which helped a TON more (long off the xanax, on a longer lasting medication now). ANYWAYS, I tried this, took a pill before my 530am shift, went into work, and turned into a zombie. lost ALL feeling of emotions, was rude to the customers, literally turned into another person. called the doctor in 2 weeks and said get me in NOW. After 4 days i threw out the bottle, saw the doctor and tried the xanax instead. Celexa made my anxiety 2000000x worse. I'm someone with constant anxiety issues, but antidepressants like SSRI's and SNRI's make my brain freak out. I'd throw these out & let the trash enjoy it"

Anonymous January 16, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

"I could barely sit in restaurants, I was constantly on edge feeling unsafe everywhere, obsessed with checking my pulse, I was in and out of derealisation feeling constantly floaty in a horrible way. Week 1-6 of citalopram - anxiety got worse, Hot flushes, or one part of my body was burning hot. Appetite was completely gone, and the nausea was quite bad. End of week 3 the physical symptoms started to pass and anxiety lifted. From week 3-6 my mood was all over the place, went from feeling normal to suicidal to desperately depressed and depression wasn't what I was being treated for. So beware of extreme mood changes because that is scary. But now week 8 and I feel 80% back to normal. I know is desperate but stick it out and it will be great!"

infra345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I lived with anxiety/depression for years. Everyday felt like a struggle. I experienced a period of intense stress during grad school in my early 30's, and decided to seek help. If I only did this in my 20's I could have accomplished so much more. Celexa took away my anxiety and depression, but it took a couple months to work on 20mg. I felt like myself, I felt happy. I had no side effect, no weight gain, nothing. Since I felt so great I attempted to taper down and had bad withdrawal. I decided to stay on it. My 20mg stopped working after two years so I got up to 30mg...I think it "pooped out". I have bad depression now- sleeping all the time and anxious. I was switched to an SNRI, but celexa changed my life and I'm glad I tried it first."

Beachboxer (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

"When I first started I was experiencing anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I was informed that it may get worse when I started taking the medication - hmm not really something you want to hear when you want to get better. I feel just as anxious now and I did before taking the medication, and even in those first weeks. I have gradually went from 10 - 30mg dosage per day, and this is nearly the end of my 9th month on the medication. I really don't think people can tell whether it does anything or not - there are far too many variables involved to get a confirmed truth on psychoactive medications. I think we are being sold on ' I believe ' in a pill."

Svissloki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

"I am on this medication for generalized anxiety and panic disorder. Even though it says it is an antidepressant, I have used this with great success in reducing my daily anxiety. I am currently on a 30mg dose and it seems to have levelled me out pretty well. The only side effect I would complain about is the insomnia BUT it gets better after about 6 weeks. I went many nights being able to fall asleep only to wake up a few hours later and be wide awake unable to return to sleep. I began using melatonin at night, and after about 6 weeks I have had a much easier time with sleep. I can make you a bit lethargic during the day, but nothing I am unable to handle. With minor side effects and help with the anxiety, I highly recommend."

J137B (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I had severe anxiety and agoraphobia. Every time I would get in a car I would wonder if I was going to die that day. These symptoms all started when I had children. I started to wonder what would happen to my children if something happened to me. And I thought about how attached they are to me and how it would break their hearts. So I told my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa. I've been on it for about 2 months now and the quality of my life has changed so drastically. I'm not always thinking about dying. I'm able to go out in crowds and not be worried. Yesterday I was dealing with something stressful and I was stressed about it, but I stayed calm and I moved on. It didn't consume me like stressful events used to do."

JLK87 December 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I was on 20mg for about 9 months for severe panic disorder. I was having 2-3 panic attacks per day. Once I was on the med for two weeks I was so much better. Unfortunately about 9 months in the panic attacks came back worse than before. Only side effects were mild nausea and sore leg muscles during the first few days."

J1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "2nd time on Celexa. First was in 2011. I weaned myself of. Started 20mg daily this year due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. No I'll side effects. It's a blessing to me."

GeckoBrak November 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "My doctor started me off with 10mg then two weeks after I went up to 20mg. I feel great and my depression is gone. However, ive been on it for a month and a half and find that I can't sleep. Before celexa I was sleeping too much and now I cant sleep unless I recreationally take xanax. Now my anxiety is high because I can't sleep and when I do sleep it's because of xanax which makes me sleep for 12 hours and then I wake up late and I'm unmotivated to do anything. Should I see my doctor for this? I love xanax cause it makes me feel better for my anxiety a night but I'm scared I'll start abusing it especially since I don't have a prescription."

Becca136 November 27, 2016

"I take citalopram 20mg due to high levels of anxiety and panic attacks I kept getting heart palpitations and my blood pressure would go up. It got to a point it was really bad effecting my every day functioning making me want to frequently urinate every 20 mins on average I could not travel and did not want to go to social gatherings I would often be in fear that I would have a heart attack or a stroke due to the pounding sensation I would feel on my heart that caused me a continuous discomfort as well as tightness in my chest I spent many occasions in and out of hospital and visited the doctors with frequency. Citalopram was the only medication to stop these symptoms of anxiety I was feeling all symptoms completely stopped."

Knightriser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

"Have been on citalopram for around 3 weeks for severe GAD. Physical symptoms of stress have lessened immensely, (all following symptoms were before citalopram- left shoulder no longer hurts, ribs and sternum no longer ache, no jaw ache, nausea and loose stools have lessened, heart rate is gradually stabilising, not as aggressive, don't feel like I'm having a heart attack, palpitations lessened, able to sleep) I do feel calmer, I'm on 10mg daily, and will be slowly upping to 20mg. I still have no appetite ( have lost 3 st since July through anxiety) and I feel slightly nauseous every now and again. I'm struggling with dizziness. I've not really had any side effects on this, other than occasional waves of nausea in the beginning. Keep at it!"

Becky2206 November 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "So for months I have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I finally went to the doctor because it has made my life a living hell on a day to day basis and depression has started to creep in from being so stressed out over having the anxiety itself. I was prescribed citalopram 20mg but after reading reviews I let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks for fear of taking it and making my anxiety even worse. Yesterday I finally said screw it and took 1/4 of a pill (5mg) to start. I was at the point where I'm just sick of having anxiety every day and nothing, not even the side effects could be worse. I didn't have any weird reactions. I did get really sleepy about 2 hours after taking it but it was late evening so I didn't mind."

serendipity83 November 16, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I recently started celexa, my doctor told me to start with 10mg for a week than go up to 20mg. I noticed a difference with the very first pill, I felt more anxiety and severe nausea. I kept taking the pills and it got worse with every dose. I couldn't leave my house or bed, it made everything worse. My doctor said to keep taking them so I did. 6 days later I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and the withdrawal side effects are just as bad, extreme nausea and excessive anxiety, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride. After not being on it for a week I'm finally starting to feel better."

Harrycat November 14, 2016

"Having struggled with crippling anxiety for a while now and after therapy not working, I decided to approach my doctor about meds. He suggested citalopram 20mg. I found this too strong and cut it down to 10mg- much better. After a few weeks, I am sleeping better, eating better and the anxiety is at bay- I was able to give 2 presentations with no issues and my thinking is much clearer now. The only downside is the side effects in the first 2 weeks can be jarring but once they settle down, the results are well worth it"

Lizzie7 November 13, 2016

"I began taking citalopram less than a year ago. Best decision I ever made! I remember that being the best time of my life. I made a lot of new friends/stopped pushing old friends away, had one of the best relationships I ever had, and started new hobbies that I was waaaay too scared to do before. The side effects were not too bad at all (not as bad as the depression/anxiety i felt before). The only problem was I did not take them like I should have. IF ITS WORKING NOT NOT GO OFF OF THEM. I felt genuinely happy and excited about life, that I decided I was "better" and didn't need the medication anymore. Bad choice, monthes later I was back to where I was before. I'm here now and regret stop taking them. Seeing my doctor tomorrow. xx"

abbs46865 November 7, 2016

"I started taking this medicine when I was 24 years old for social anxiety. I hated meeting new people, felt intimidated easily, threw up on my first day of every new school semester and my mind was always racing. I was constantly thinking of scenarios in my head to prepare myself for whatever may come next. Started on 10mg then 20mg. The first night I experienced numbing in my left hand. In the following days I was having a hard time falling asleep, yawning whether I was tired or not, and for the longest time my jaw was always clenched. I also had a loss of appetite. Lost weight at first. Sex drive was terrible and say bye to orgasms for awhile. Now after a year, I feel human and no side effects at all! I have much more confidence!"

Anonymous #2 November 3, 2016

"Hi im not sure on how to ask a question on here, but i need help because i dont know what type of anxiety i have i'll let you know my symptoms everyday my head feels tight its on and off throughout the day i also cant sit there and be still thats why i play my xbox 24/7 to keep me focus. I cant step one foot outside or even spend quality time with my son because i get panicy i constantly think of my breathing unless im on my xbox, im to worried to take citalopram ive seen good and bad reviews but i need my life back for my son, i got 10mg citalopram had them over a month to scared to take also taken one propanolol 40mg had a few side affects dry eyes and blurred vision, but to me can a drug actually work for anxiety please help xx"

LeviMarshall (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

"Was suffering from PTSD following sudden end of marriage ... I could not seem to ' hold it together' and reluctantly took 10g citralopram for the sake of my children and job ... I had no side effects apart from no appetite for a few weeks ... Within 4 weeks I was feeling so much better ... It 'took the edge ' off my distress but I did not feel in anyway out of control or not totally myself . I took for 3 years ( tried to stop once but not ready) ... I have now been off it for 8 months after withdrawing over a 3 month period very gradually . My biggest fears were ; feeling zombified, gaining weight ; being apathetic towards life ; being addicted ..none of these fears happened . I am grateful for citopram for getting me thru tough times."

Sallyb133 November 1, 2016

"I know I should wait about a month before sharing my experience, but I absolutely love this medication. I've been on it for a week with nothing but good effects. Before this, I couldn't be around crowds without getting panicky and anxious. I was causing problems in my relationship out of anxiety. My sex drive has increased since this medicine eases the anxiety I get about my body. The only minor effects I'm getting are very minor shakiness, which is hardly noticeable. I'm also yawning a lot, but I'm not tired. I also have a slight tightness in my throat, like the feeling you get while crying but it's not even prevalent anymore. I hope I keep reacting so well to this, I feel like a real person now, and I'm not held back by my anxiety."

karlynnhaha (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

"I've been taking Citalopram for a long time and I noticed that when I first started to tale it I get shakes like a hypoglycemia attack and loss of appitite but both stopped within a few days. I have also developed a tremor in my left hand(common side effect in SSRI meds) but it doesn't really cause problems. I find it so effective because when I was weaned off it my anxiety slowly got worse until I have an anxiety attack almost everyweek, but the week I was put back on it I was overall less stressed and anxious and could let things roll off instead of bothering me."

Carlesss October 28, 2016

"I've been on 10mg for 6 weeks now. I was prescribed 20mg but only managed this dose once and I was so ill I didn't want to take it again so decided to cut my pill in half. I felt really sick on these and sleepy so I changed to taking them in bed just before going to sleep an it worked a treat. In a very VERY anxious person I also have graves disease which causes anxiety an panic attacks daily. In the past 6 weeks I've had 1 panic attack which only lasted 5 minutes then I was totally calm again ( very weird) I was having at least 1 panic attack a day before hand. They do take awhile to work. I would say the last week I've noticed a huge difference. I'd definitely a lot calmer and more out going. Just get past the 1st few weeks :)"

Lmjc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016