User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on citalopram for 6 weeks, when I started had very few side effects, feeling a lot better, can control my thoughts. started on 10 mg for 2 weeks , and on 20 mg . It seems like it was the one for me , all the other antidepressants gave me bad side effects. This one is working well so far . gets better as the weeks go by ."

miss Boston (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Although the induction period is rough and can last multiple weeks this medication works well for me. I've been on mylan citalopram for 3 months and just switched to name brand with no noticeable difference. I am more easy going, positive, sociable and have a sense of well being that was lacking and as a result debilitating me before this medication. So far so good, I am also on Wellbutrin which I only started 2 weeks ago after abilify triggered me in negative ways. I get through my incredibly physical days of construction and renovation with emotional ease."

Radia75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started citalopram about a month ago and on the 6th day I felt amazing! Then about a week ago I started to decline and the horrors and anxiety and depression started to set back in :( I will say that this medicine has overall helped me in a big way, even though I am relapsing it still has a positive effect. The side effects I experienced are teeth clenching and insomnia but lack of sleep lasted for only a few days. My question to everyone is, has citalopram worked for you then stopped and then started working really well again?"

BrandiUnderwood May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Sucked. Didn't do anything for me."

hereticanthem May 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"7 weeks on Celexa and still suffering side effects and increased anxiety."

Sheane May 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 49, looking back I have been struggling with anxiety for a number of years, but always managed to hide it, I have a responsible job and work a lot of overtime. I went to my Doctor with high blood pressure, palpitations and frequent chest pain and once I was brave enough to open up I was diagnosed With severe anxiety and depression. I have been on citalopram for six days, I'm sleeping better but still waking up with crushing anxiety, loss of appetite and frequent diarrhoea. All this said I'm hoping from what I have read on here, that the medication will work in the next few weeks and remain optimistic."

Jackyredge4 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Other than feeling sedated and lower than normal blood pressure/heart rate for a while, it affects my memory, vision (one pupil dialated and the other one was smaller)..shakes like it's making anxiety worse. I don't like it."

fortuna1 April 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered my first panick attack in 2015 after finding out I still needed two more classes to graduate college. I'll never forget laying on the floor, not being able to breath, and feeling like the room was closing in around me. At the request of my immediate family, I went to talk to a doctor and realized I had been living with anxiety for quite awhile. My doctor prescribed 10mg of Celexa. I was a little tired the first week or two, but that was the only side effect I experienced. While the 10mg helped some, I still felt a little edgy at times when I really shouldn't have. My doctor upped my dose to 20mg and again, a little tired the first week or so, but I've been golden ever since. I'm me now without the anxiety, thanks to Celexa."

Stressless94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I went on Celexa after three years of getting more and more depressed and my anxiety beginning to make it difficult to be at social events or function from day to day. I gave in to Celexa after hitting a low that I cannot explain. I couldn't get out of bed and I determined my life was worthless. I started on 10mg. The first two weeks were bizarre. Headaches, nausea and diarrhea. The anxiety seemed worse. But after 3-4 weeks it's like an ugly cloud lifted and I feel like I have my life back. I upped it to 20mg and I'm staying at 20mg. I never worry about anything - which seems nuts. How can I not worry? I'm unemployed, single, no kids, (I'm 48) yet I feel like everything is okay, and I can move forward on achieving my goals."

Zigzag55 April 13, 2017

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking citalopram around 18 months ago, my husband had an affair and I got to the point where I was having a breakdown so Dr started me on 10mg a day, side effects were just tiredness\spaced out really,only lasted a few days After a couple weeks felt better, could control panic attacks, felt calmer, after around 4/5 months it felt like it was wearing off so Dr increased to 20 mg, this dose made me feel terrible for about 10 days was like a zombie Then I felt great so much better, doubling the dose probably wasn't a great idea at the time but was worth it, anyway they work really well for me they just take a while to work. I now take 40 mg a day after falling In a deep depression my husband had another affair but now feeling great x"

?!.,cab bio (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on various anxiety meds but celexa is the best. Reluctantly went on the celexa because I have anxiety and not depression. Celexa is a miracle pill. My anxiety is totally gone unlike taking Ativan or Xanax which was just a temporary fix. I no longer have anxiety, my stomach feels better, no built up of anger, I participate in functions. Only draw back, you can kiss your sex life good bye."

Weather the storm April 2, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading the reviews a month ago I decided to wait before taking this drug. I used natural supplements to boost my Seratonin level, I think that was working. I still was feeling depressed though, mostly due to family and marital problems, fix those issue and everything else would fall into place, I have been praying for that. So I decided to take this citalopram 10mg. that my Dr. felt I needed, as he said I'm depressed. Which I am. I took it for four days and feel like a zombie, very tired, confused, not thinking clearly, weak, and can't sleep. I know it is supposed to take a few weeks, but no thank you. Most people who have reported here have been on one or more depression drugs on and off for a longtime.. never been on any drugs,"

G G H April 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Citalopram 5 weeks ago hoping it would help with my anxiety and depression. I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). At first I was terrified of the idea of going on medication, (I'm a nursing student and I would only take pills if it's absolutely necessary) mostly because of the side effects and the experience of other people. I tried everything to "cure" myself and I finally had the courage to talk to my doctor and we made the decision. I can honestly say that Citalopram saved my life. I now feel relieved, more relaxed and simply enjoying life. No side effects beside a little nausea the first week starting it (I didn't eat while taking it). I am on 10mg and I love it. I know it is not easy, you're not alone. Take care ❤"

Caatherine March 27, 2017

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started treatment for depression and anxiety in 2001 - Zoloft, which helped somewhat, and I continued for years until Cymbalta came along. I tried it and it was better than Zoloft. After a year on Cymbalta I started to find it to be too expensive. I'm a writer, a starving writer, and $5 a dose was too dear. I asked my doctor if he could recommend something similar but cheaper. He put me on Celexa. Wow - what a difference - Celexa was far more effective than either of the two meds I had previously used- and dirt cheap!"

Nick-writer March 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Celexa since 2000 for 17 years. It worked well for me. It doesn't work anymore. I have been having lots of break through panic attacks. So I am switching to effexor xr Hopefully it works for me. Good Luck."

JeniB March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I tried this medication for anxiety held in there for 5 months at 20mg/day. I went into a full depression, was a zombie with no motivation to do anything at all. The exhaustion was terrible, sleeping 12hrs at night with needing naps during the day. I did notice I wasn't shaky when dealing with people but my view on the world was so bleak and I didn't want to do anything. I'd rather be shaky from my anxiety and have energy and want to be part of the world then what I went through on this medication. Just awful...within 5 days of weening myself off of it, I had my energy back, and felt positive again"

Ladybird6 March 22, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Does not take away anxiety as it is the social situation which causes my anxiety, social support far better and talking to counsellor really helps . CBT abject nonsense. Causes faecal urgency and on occasions faecal incontinence. I am worried that even when I stop the drug this may continue. As I am in UK the drug is free as I am over 60 as have been the talking therapies because we pay out of our taxes for health care for all, although the rich don't like paying for the poor's health care"

The Clay Man (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Started on 5 mg Celexa about 7 months ago. Works great to take away most of my anxiety and irritability, still comes around sometime but on more normal means instead of every single day like I was miserable before I started on Celexa. Took a couple weeks to adjust to it and my orgasms are few and hard to achieve, but still possible, unlike other meds I've been on in the past. I love everything about Celexa, and would have given it a 10/10... however, I've gained 15 pounds since I started taking it. My diet and activity level has not changed so I'm assuming Celexa is to blame. This is now causing depression from the weight gain and the inability to keep it off... If you start Celexa, start exercising regularly to help maintain, wish I had..."

MoonlightX01 March 5, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram calms my mind and body. Without it I am very aggressive and too active sexually. Without it I feel as if my testosterone levels were too high. My wife and I have notice that even my testicles are bigger without Citalopram and that there seems to be a higher blood flow to my penis; it was the experience of a constant state of arousal. Psychologically, without it, I experienced lots of anger, aggressivity, sexual energy, and just a general out of control level of mental energy. We have both concluded that somehow Citalopram reduces my testosterone levels. And, let me tell you, I'm happy about it. I rather feel calm and centered than aggressive, angry, and freaking horny all the time. So, Citalopram is vital in my life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (comorbid to my ADHD) back in 2012, and had since been to CBT and was prescribed with multiple antidepressants for it since. However both these medications (Strattera & Zoloft) caused chronic fatigue that led me to stop the medication. Enter Celexa, prescribed end of 2016, I was at the time suffering from the regular hypochondria and other obsessions. I was apprehensive of the expected side effects but I am glad to report that to this day side effects are minimal. Yes, I have noticed a small difference in my working memory (decrease) and dreams (very vivid), but I believe the pros greatly outweigh the cons! Celexa has helped me feel normal again and empowered me, and would recommend 100%"

AlexAloe February 27, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I thought they were rubbish"

jgjknewjgbjwhgbewrhjt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "About 7 years ago I started having really bad anxiety while in college, it got to the point where I had to drop out and move back home. I was outgoing, social, confident, and then all of a sudden BOOM! I couldn't function at all and was convinced I was losing my mind. After trying the natural route for about 6 months I decided I needed a little extra help and that's when I decided to try an antidepressant. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to notice a difference but it was well worth the wait! I was back to my old self again and it felt awesome! Unfortunatly, I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and my anxiety has recently come back so now I am trying it again and am hoping it works as well as it did before."

Worked Great (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2017