User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "I was on 20mg for about 9 months for severe panic disorder. I was having 2-3 panic attacks per day. Once I was on the med for two weeks I was so much better. Unfortunately about 9 months in the panic attacks came back worse than before. Only side effects were mild nausea and sore leg muscles during the first few days."

J1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "2nd time on Celexa. First was in 2011. I weaned myself of. Started 20mg daily this year due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. No I'll side effects. It's a blessing to me."

GeckoBrak November 27, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "My doctor started me off with 10mg then two weeks after I went up to 20mg. I feel great and my depression is gone. However, ive been on it for a month and a half and find that I can't sleep. Before celexa I was sleeping too much and now I cant sleep unless I recreationally take xanax. Now my anxiety is high because I can't sleep and when I do sleep it's because of xanax which makes me sleep for 12 hours and then I wake up late and I'm unmotivated to do anything. Should I see my doctor for this? I love xanax cause it makes me feel better for my anxiety a night but I'm scared I'll start abusing it especially since I don't have a prescription."

Becca136 November 27, 2016

"I take citalopram 20mg due to high levels of anxiety and panic attacks I kept getting heart palpitations and my blood pressure would go up. It got to a point it was really bad effecting my every day functioning making me want to frequently urinate every 20 mins on average I could not travel and did not want to go to social gatherings I would often be in fear that I would have a heart attack or a stroke due to the pounding sensation I would feel on my heart that caused me a continuous discomfort as well as tightness in my chest I spent many occasions in and out of hospital and visited the doctors with frequency. Citalopram was the only medication to stop these symptoms of anxiety I was feeling all symptoms completely stopped."

Knightriser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

"Have been on citalopram for around 3 weeks for severe GAD. Physical symptoms of stress have lessened immensely, (all following symptoms were before citalopram- left shoulder no longer hurts, ribs and sternum no longer ache, no jaw ache, nausea and loose stools have lessened, heart rate is gradually stabilising, not as aggressive, don't feel like I'm having a heart attack, palpitations lessened, able to sleep) I do feel calmer, I'm on 10mg daily, and will be slowly upping to 20mg. I still have no appetite ( have lost 3 st since July through anxiety) and I feel slightly nauseous every now and again. I'm struggling with dizziness. I've not really had any side effects on this, other than occasional waves of nausea in the beginning. Keep at it!"

Becky2206 November 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "So for months I have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I finally went to the doctor because it has made my life a living hell on a day to day basis and depression has started to creep in from being so stressed out over having the anxiety itself. I was prescribed citalopram 20mg but after reading reviews I let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks for fear of taking it and making my anxiety even worse. Yesterday I finally said screw it and took 1/4 of a pill (5mg) to start. I was at the point where I'm just sick of having anxiety every day and nothing, not even the side effects could be worse. I didn't have any weird reactions. I did get really sleepy about 2 hours after taking it but it was late evening so I didn't mind."

serendipity83 November 16, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I recently started celexa, my doctor told me to start with 10mg for a week than go up to 20mg. I noticed a difference with the very first pill, I felt more anxiety and severe nausea. I kept taking the pills and it got worse with every dose. I couldn't leave my house or bed, it made everything worse. My doctor said to keep taking them so I did. 6 days later I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and the withdrawal side effects are just as bad, extreme nausea and excessive anxiety, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride. After not being on it for a week I'm finally starting to feel better."

Harrycat November 14, 2016

"Having struggled with crippling anxiety for a while now and after therapy not working, I decided to approach my doctor about meds. He suggested citalopram 20mg. I found this too strong and cut it down to 10mg- much better. After a few weeks, I am sleeping better, eating better and the anxiety is at bay- I was able to give 2 presentations with no issues and my thinking is much clearer now. The only downside is the side effects in the first 2 weeks can be jarring but once they settle down, the results are well worth it"

Lizzie7 November 13, 2016

"I began taking citalopram less than a year ago. Best decision I ever made! I remember that being the best time of my life. I made a lot of new friends/stopped pushing old friends away, had one of the best relationships I ever had, and started new hobbies that I was waaaay too scared to do before. The side effects were not too bad at all (not as bad as the depression/anxiety i felt before). The only problem was I did not take them like I should have. IF ITS WORKING NOT NOT GO OFF OF THEM. I felt genuinely happy and excited about life, that I decided I was "better" and didn't need the medication anymore. Bad choice, monthes later I was back to where I was before. I'm here now and regret stop taking them. Seeing my doctor tomorrow. xx"

abbs46865 November 7, 2016

"I started taking this medicine when I was 24 years old for social anxiety. I hated meeting new people, felt intimidated easily, threw up on my first day of every new school semester and my mind was always racing. I was constantly thinking of scenarios in my head to prepare myself for whatever may come next. Started on 10mg then 20mg. The first night I experienced numbing in my left hand. In the following days I was having a hard time falling asleep, yawning whether I was tired or not, and for the longest time my jaw was always clenched. I also had a loss of appetite. Lost weight at first. Sex drive was terrible and say bye to orgasms for awhile. Now after a year, I feel human and no side effects at all! I have much more confidence!"

Anonymous #2 November 3, 2016

"Hi im not sure on how to ask a question on here, but i need help because i dont know what type of anxiety i have i'll let you know my symptoms everyday my head feels tight its on and off throughout the day i also cant sit there and be still thats why i play my xbox 24/7 to keep me focus. I cant step one foot outside or even spend quality time with my son because i get panicy i constantly think of my breathing unless im on my xbox, im to worried to take citalopram ive seen good and bad reviews but i need my life back for my son, i got 10mg citalopram had them over a month to scared to take also taken one propanolol 40mg had a few side affects dry eyes and blurred vision, but to me can a drug actually work for anxiety please help xx"

LeviMarshall (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

"Was suffering from PTSD following sudden end of marriage ... I could not seem to ' hold it together' and reluctantly took 10g citralopram for the sake of my children and job ... I had no side effects apart from no appetite for a few weeks ... Within 4 weeks I was feeling so much better ... It 'took the edge ' off my distress but I did not feel in anyway out of control or not totally myself . I took for 3 years ( tried to stop once but not ready) ... I have now been off it for 8 months after withdrawing over a 3 month period very gradually . My biggest fears were ; feeling zombified, gaining weight ; being apathetic towards life ; being addicted ..none of these fears happened . I am grateful for citopram for getting me thru tough times."

Sallyb133 November 1, 2016

"I know I should wait about a month before sharing my experience, but I absolutely love this medication. I've been on it for a week with nothing but good effects. Before this, I couldn't be around crowds without getting panicky and anxious. I was causing problems in my relationship out of anxiety. My sex drive has increased since this medicine eases the anxiety I get about my body. The only minor effects I'm getting are very minor shakiness, which is hardly noticeable. I'm also yawning a lot, but I'm not tired. I also have a slight tightness in my throat, like the feeling you get while crying but it's not even prevalent anymore. I hope I keep reacting so well to this, I feel like a real person now, and I'm not held back by my anxiety."

karlynnhaha (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

"I've been taking Citalopram for a long time and I noticed that when I first started to tale it I get shakes like a hypoglycemia attack and loss of appitite but both stopped within a few days. I have also developed a tremor in my left hand(common side effect in SSRI meds) but it doesn't really cause problems. I find it so effective because when I was weaned off it my anxiety slowly got worse until I have an anxiety attack almost everyweek, but the week I was put back on it I was overall less stressed and anxious and could let things roll off instead of bothering me."

Carlesss October 28, 2016

"I've been on 10mg for 6 weeks now. I was prescribed 20mg but only managed this dose once and I was so ill I didn't want to take it again so decided to cut my pill in half. I felt really sick on these and sleepy so I changed to taking them in bed just before going to sleep an it worked a treat. In a very VERY anxious person I also have graves disease which causes anxiety an panic attacks daily. In the past 6 weeks I've had 1 panic attack which only lasted 5 minutes then I was totally calm again ( very weird) I was having at least 1 panic attack a day before hand. They do take awhile to work. I would say the last week I've noticed a huge difference. I'd definitely a lot calmer and more out going. Just get past the 1st few weeks :)"

Lmjc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

"The first few days on the medication I was sweaty, more agitated and slept alot. I lost six pounds within the first week, was nauseous and had no appetite. I had a lot of doubt and thought to myself it would go away. I stayed away from most everyone because I felt my mood swings. Today marks the second week. I switched to the night time until this past weekend because it made me sleep like a rock (I have really bad insomnia). I just started taking it during the day and it makes me slightly drowsy, but nothing I can't push through. I just think that maybe I am less stressed now and more relaxed. So, not drowsy.....just calm, hopefully. Not sure. I've always been a work hard and told I don't relax (runs in my genes). I am getting more done."

JesAPill (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

"Have been on this for 8 days now , still struggling to eat ( having to force myself ) , only getting 3 hours sleep and they blooming lucid dreams and hands and head always hot when in bed , spaced out a bit but do feel a little calmer just really wish the side effects would go away , giving it another 6 days then I'll need to stop so hopefully they go away .....just my experience tho please don't let it affect yours they are worth a try"

Gtr76 October 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I've never been on a daily medicine for anxiety and was previously managing via eastern medicine (acupuncture/chinese herbs). My anxiety never completely went away but those methods prevented full blown panic attacks most of the time. My attacks started to evolve in the last 6 months and I finally talked to my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa 20mg per day, once a day. It's changed my life. I hadn't realize how withdrawn I'd become from the fear of anxiety and panic. I had some mild nausea in the first 2 weeks but nothing serious. She also prescribed Hydroxyzine for panic attacks which is an old school sedative in the anti-histamine family. I haven't had an attack since I started the Celexa but the Hydroxyzine is a great sleep aide."

BeeLoon October 13, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I took Celexa for a yr. It gave me energy an made me anxious . I gained 40 pds and it made me yawn alot. I went off of it."

Aderline gurl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started taking celexa over a year ago for anxiety and stress. I had some mild side effects the first week, but it has been great since then. I started on 10mg and switched to 20mg after a month and have been at that prescription since. It probably took at least a month before I started noticing a difference. I take it at night and don't have any troubles sleeping or any other side effects. This medicine has completely changed my perspective. I'm much more calm and just happier all around. I used to be very high strung and easily stressed, but not anymore! Highly recommend!"

LoveCelexa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I've been taking the off brand for over 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel the anxiety reducing effects. No nausea or GI problems thus far. For the first 3 days I felt a little out of it around an hour and a half after taking it, so I started taking it at night and that has completely resolved the issue. Started on 10mg for around 9 days to get accustomed to it and have been on the 20 mg for 2 days now. My anxiety wasn't severe (diagnosed w mild anxiety-stress related) & no panic attacks. I think the type of anxiety/severity will influence the way the drug acts on you, but it's been good for me so far :)"

Anon0000099 September 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started on 10mg after quitting drinking and starting AA and I had to increase my dose to 20. So I've been on 20 for a week and I was on 10 for about 3 weeks before. I feel great. My anxiety level is so low and manageable and so is my negative thinking and my anger towards everyone. I have the right perspectives just couldn't apply them before and now I find it easy to. I don't freak out, get mad, irritated and frustrated like I used to. Life is easier to handle but you still need tools. So far my sex drive is still there tho it might take a little more effort to orgasm but not bec I don't feel it as much but bec it's hard to reach a certain level fast enough. My cravings for alcohol and sweet foods is very low. I'm motivated."

EvaGurl (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

"I have been talking celexa for over a month and have noticed a big difference in anxiety and moods. I have also lost weight while taking it. I never feel hungry and when I do eat, I don't eat near as much. (I've heard this effects everyone differently) it did make me yawn continuously when first starting it, and I took it at bedtime due to afraid it would make me sleepy. That side effect did go away. I still have great energy during the day, doesn't make me want to sleep or feel draggy. Doesn't effect my sleep of a night. Only bad thing I have to say is I noticed a huge difference quickly with sex drive. Other than that, great drug and as I said before, every drug effects people differently so that may not be an issue with someone else. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Best. I started taking this and thought oh this isn't going to help me... It was maybe 2 months in and I didn't feel different. After about 4 months taking it I was a completely different person when it came to my anxiety and panic attacks. I completely stopped having them and I was just overall a more stress free person. By far one of my favorites.. I recommend this to anyone that has very bad anxiety and doesn't want to be on something addictive like benzodiazepines."

Suezi q August 29, 2016

"This drug literally saved my life. I had bad anxiety and couldn't go out of the house. I didn't want to take it at first in fear of losing control and having this drug take over my thoughts. I decided to give it a shot at 10mg... Took a few nights of sleeplessness, tossing turning, body sweats. I didn't give up on it ... Then suddenly i got used to it and had to up my dose to 20mg. I began to feel normal again. I was able to go out without feeling like I was gonna have an anxiety attack. I was able to get a job as a paramedic. Going on 4 years as a medic! No anxiety attacks! My moods have been stable. I'm glad I stuck with it. I never miss a dose. Don't be ashamed or scared of your mental health. Take it seriously"

Cit-user August 29, 2016