User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A great lessening of anxiety after taking for a month. Calm feeling."

Redhead24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First three weeks were difficult but remember this is a mind altering drug. Once it became part of me so to speak I felt a lot better but hypnotherapy has made a massive difference too I have learnt a lot of coping techniques. Still on citalopram after 30 months but feeling great."

AnxiousAndy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Honestly doesn't do much for me. Still has big panic attacks. Still has bad anxiety."

Eiko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I went thru a very difficult time being hurt at work,.I could have easily been killed. The company making moves to fire me cuz I costs them $ for my 'free medical ". Accident was another employee's negligence. Long story. Plus legal. etc etc With celexa, my anxiety , stress, depression levels became under control. I was able to return back to a resemblance of a human being Was at 40mg to start. Weaned down to 30mg. Then when legal became intense, 40mg. No good settlements in these cases but my sanity is returning. And coping better. Highly recommend. Side effect was being tired until my body adjusted. At least got covered by Workers Comp insurance. In Ca, that's a miracle because for injured parties, you're fortunate that insurance pays ."

jmcom111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only five days in. So still feeling the initial side affects. Dizzy headache nauseous. But changed from morning to night time last night and must say feel somewhat better for it. I've read all of these reviews and find most of them positive. So I'm hopeful after a few weeks I'll start to feel a bit like my old self again. Been suffering for 7 years and decided that enough was enough."

Scoots153 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I started taking this after increased anxiety/panic/depersonalization/derealization after starting a birth control pill (BeYaz).. Celexa has helped my symptoms but I stopped taking my birth control and it has made a WORLD of a difference in my mood. My anxiety and panic are almost gone.. I've only been on Celexa for 1 month.. and I stopped my birth control 2-3 weeks ago.. Please check into your birth control. I've NEVER had depression in my life but after starting the birth control I had CONSTANT crying spells, anxiety, panic, etc. Celexa is helping but I think this was all caused by the birth control. Please be careful!!"

linds00000000000000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is update to my original comment in late January earlier this year. Still taking 20 mg daily. Still feeling great. Been on 6 months. Its really amazing. Sadness (depression) completely gone. General anxiety gone. When situational stress occurs it feels lesser and tolerable. The truth is the medicine blocks emotional or physcological pain. It probably blocks super emotional highs also but its an easy trade. Side effects are appetite increase (because you are happy and not anxious) occasional night sweats sleeping, delayed orgasm but good if you had premature orgasm issue. This med is wonderful and no need to suffer emotional pain forever. Live happy today."

njehealedcontinued June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started citalopram about 2 year ago. I was always on edge. Everything made me mad and stressed out. I started on 20mg. I had a hard time with it at first. It made me clench my jaw and my hands I felt like I was in a fog. It took about 6 weeks before all the bad symptoms went away. I am so happy that I stuck it out. I handle situations better, I have never been more happy. I just started on 40mg now and I will say it makes me a little nauseous. The only down side is that it makes me have a low libido. I will never go without this drug. I just wish I would have had it many years before"

Tee age 52 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 47 yrs old and female. I have had issues with my mood around my periods since having my children. It's like a roller coaster every month. The closer to "That time" the more emotional I become! I had spoke to 3 different doctors, over the years, and got no help. One told me to go on birth control, another said to see an OB, the best told me it must just be my personality!!! Finally found a Dr who would listen! I had tension headaches and mood swings. He gave me citalopram 10mg and a muscle relaxer (as needed). After a year and a half, I have not had mood swings like I did before! I wish the others would have listened to me earlier. I would definitely suggest this medication! My only side effect is sleepiness, so I take it at night"

MamaSandD June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Please try!!!!! I was like you reading these reviews scared to death to start taking this drug. I am so glad I did. The first 2 weeks I felt Iike I was pregnant. Nauseous and sleepy. After that I just gradually started feeling better. Anxiety has gone and life is on the up and up. I should have taken this 20 years ago. All the worries sort of just fade away. Good luck and please give it a shot!"

Mag pie June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off on a really low dose. Which I felt made a slight difference to my mood, but none whatsoever on my anxiety. When I increased the dose... it still didn't make any difference, but made me very fatigued and gave me really intense stomach pains. So, not a good experience for me."

Kinsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 42 yrs and have been on 40 mg celexa for years. It did help with my anxiety 100% however all I do is sleep and lay and watch TV when I am awake. I DO NOT WANT to do ANYTHING or go ANY WHERE!! I do the bare minimum of my house work when before I was OCD about my home. You could literally eat off the floor, my house did not even look lived in. Celexa has taking many years of my life!! I have decided to taper and been taking 30 mg for a week and already feel SO MUCH BETTER!! I have been doing things around my house that I have neglected before and have plans to do so much more. Also going somewhere does not sound horrible. I mean I did not even go to family functions!! I am on my way of taking my life back!"

Krystal74 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 10 mg for 10 days and then 20 mg per day. It was working well only few side effects in the first 10 days , like being tired and dizzy. I am able to sleep well and my heart is not giving me hard time with palpitations or chest pain. I found that after I take the medication in the morning , it is better to sleep or to lay down. At night it is easy to go to sleep. Sunlight is a good addition to the medication to help me to get better ( vitamin D). I found that drinking a lot of water and walking are helping me too. The medication started to help me from the first day. Good luck!"

MCgarden (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on citalopram for 6 weeks, when I started had very few side effects, feeling a lot better, can control my thoughts. started on 10 mg for 2 weeks , and on 20 mg . It seems like it was the one for me , all the other antidepressants gave me bad side effects. This one is working well so far . gets better as the weeks go by ."

miss Boston (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Although the induction period is rough and can last multiple weeks this medication works well for me. I've been on mylan citalopram for 3 months and just switched to name brand with no noticeable difference. I am more easy going, positive, sociable and have a sense of well being that was lacking and as a result debilitating me before this medication. So far so good, I am also on Wellbutrin which I only started 2 weeks ago after abilify triggered me in negative ways. I get through my incredibly physical days of construction and renovation with emotional ease."

Radia75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started citalopram about a month ago and on the 6th day I felt amazing! Then about a week ago I started to decline and the horrors and anxiety and depression started to set back in :( I will say that this medicine has overall helped me in a big way, even though I am relapsing it still has a positive effect. The side effects I experienced are teeth clenching and insomnia but lack of sleep lasted for only a few days. My question to everyone is, has citalopram worked for you then stopped and then started working really well again?"

BrandiUnderwood May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Sucked. Didn't do anything for me."

hereticanthem May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"7 weeks on Celexa and still suffering side effects and increased anxiety."

Sheane May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 49, looking back I have been struggling with anxiety for a number of years, but always managed to hide it, I have a responsible job and work a lot of overtime. I went to my Doctor with high blood pressure, palpitations and frequent chest pain and once I was brave enough to open up I was diagnosed With severe anxiety and depression. I have been on citalopram for six days, I'm sleeping better but still waking up with crushing anxiety, loss of appetite and frequent diarrhoea. All this said I'm hoping from what I have read on here, that the medication will work in the next few weeks and remain optimistic."

Jackyredge4 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Other than feeling sedated and lower than normal blood pressure/heart rate for a while, it affects my memory, vision (one pupil dialated and the other one was smaller)..shakes like it's making anxiety worse. I don't like it."

fortuna1 April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered my first panick attack in 2015 after finding out I still needed two more classes to graduate college. I'll never forget laying on the floor, not being able to breath, and feeling like the room was closing in around me. At the request of my immediate family, I went to talk to a doctor and realized I had been living with anxiety for quite awhile. My doctor prescribed 10mg of Celexa. I was a little tired the first week or two, but that was the only side effect I experienced. While the 10mg helped some, I still felt a little edgy at times when I really shouldn't have. My doctor upped my dose to 20mg and again, a little tired the first week or so, but I've been golden ever since. I'm me now without the anxiety, thanks to Celexa."

Stressless94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017