User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "Helped me for about 6-7 years. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone new. Felt like a complete zombie, tired all the time, couldn’t remember much, couldn’t really focus on much, and complete loss of sex drive. (I’m a 21 year old male, so having to explain to some girls why I couldn’t do it was pretty embarrassing). Works good for the anxiety part but in my opinion I’d try something else first. Also, Celexa recently stopped working and tapering off is quite difficult. (Brain zaps, twitches, etc...)."

Craigslong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I never leave feedback..but this was the most horrible feeling I have ever felt in my life. I couldn't sleep from 1 dose. Was wide awake for 3 days straight. Had a ton of energy, but it made me feel crazy. Upset stomach, nausea, headache, jitters, jaw clinching the entire time and the list keeps going. Then when the medicine was coming out of my system I couldn't stop crying. It's horrible...For me anyways. I'm kinda scared to try another antidepressant. Are they all like this?"

Djcain (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram works! After a few days, some results. After a month, big positive results. Finally an antidepressant that does not give me bad side effects. I wanted to go up past 20mg but my psychiatrist said more is not necessarily better. I believe her because I feel mostly better. I almost was thinking of being hospitalized but now things are less stressful and depressing and I am managing."

Ausyank (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

"I have been on this medicine for 10 days. The first week was horrible anxiety got worst. 24/7 of a nervous feeling but this past 3 days I have felt way better. The only problems I'm getting are morning anxiety and vision problems it's like I can't have a clear vision on objects. Is this normal or should I see a doctor?"

Danielfelix1992 January 4, 2018

Celexa (citalopram): "I've been taking the generic version, citalopram, for almost 10 years. I now take 10 mg. I was on 20 mg to start. The difference to not taking it is that people like me when I'm on it. I'm naturally introverted and skiddish around people. I have to interact with the public on my job. I can hold myself together better, and can even find joy talking to people--something that was foreign to me prior to taking citalopram. Side effects for me include insomnia, loss of sex drive, blocked thinking (just sort of blank inside,) excessive smiling (as in, I can't stop even if something horrible happened that day and I don't want to smile. Feels like someone hijacked my face.) Despite that, I wish I found this drug much earlier in my life."

Natty97 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 2, 2018

"So far just 3 weeks in at 20Mg. Recommended by my PCP. Had continuous tingling feeling in head and was given this dose to go along with the 100mg of Imipramine I’m already taking. So far the results not worth the extra bad feeling of combining more meds into my system. Right now I feel I’m stuck in giving it more time because to pull back now would probably lead to more complications."

Dapper1025 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "I am on 20mg of celexa, for work stress and anxiety. First 4 weeks was hard, but after that it get easier. I am on week 6. I still have loss of appetite, but I sleep well. I recommend celexa to anyone dealing with anxiety and stress. Make sure that you exercise, drink plenty of water and eat a well balance meal everyday."

feel Relief December 26, 2017

"I went through a very bad time 5 months ago when a close family member became suicidal and severely depressed. For months I was dealing with this daily. Once things had calmed I took a dip myself and became severely anxious. I started on Citalopram 20mg and for 2-3 weeks experienced extreme gut reactions, poor energy and concentration and heightened anxiety. Once these waned I felt pretty much the same as before but carried on as I had read they take a while to take full effect. After 8 weeks my Dr upped the dose to 30mg and within a week or two I felt significant relief which has continued. I feel totally myself but not ruminating and much more in the present moment. Highly Recommend but patience and the correct dose is needed"

Jasmine80 December 24, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Update on Celexa (you will see my 2 and a half week review about 10 comments down or so) It is now month 5 on 20mg of Celexa, and it has now become a routine and every day is better and better. The longest side effect that I dealt with is the constant feeling of being hot, both during sleep and throughout the day (compared to my girlfriend anyways). Other than that, my personality has come back exactly to how it was before. I have almost lost all feelings of general anxiety and actually I feel as if I am doing better than I was before this bout of anxiety. I hope everyone who is on it now and struggling tries to see it through the first month or so, because it was completely worth it! Good luck to everyone who struggled like I did."

JoeTurner (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

"I have been on Citalopram for 2-3 months now. My anxiety became so severe after a hard breakup I sometimes couldn't leave my house to go to work. My chest felt like I was under cement and just the thought of leaving the house or even existing made me unable to breathe. I was prescribed Citalopram and within two weeks I started to feel like a normal person. I was happy to go outside, to go to work, to talk to people. I could smile and had NO anxiety, at all. Zero. None. It was like magic. The only side effect I had was a barely noticeable headache for the first two weeks. Now I only feel anxious when something that SHOULD cause me anxiety happens, like a fight with a friend. It has helped my anger as well. I feel relaxed at all times."

May967 December 17, 2017

"I started experiencing anxiety in 2000 and my doctor started me on Ativan. I had a real bad reaction to it the walls was closing in on me and I couldn't function so I stopped taking it and just left it alone. 6 years later my anxiety came back full force and I was admitted to the ER. The Doctor gave me 10mg of Citalopram and I felt all the side effects and almost stopped taking them. Well my Doctor told me to take a half of the pill for 7 days then take a full pill after 7 days. I felt so much better and yes I highly recommend this medication."

Lashaunda (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "I take the genetic version, Citlopram, 20 mgs once a day and I FINALLY have relief from really bad anxiety and panic attacks! I used Buspar before I started Celexa and I hated it. I wasn't suffering from depression so I didn't understand why my doctor wanted to push an anti depressant on me when there are other things out there for anxiety. She put me on the Buspar and it made me feel awful and just crazy. I gave in and started the Celexa and sure enough my doc was right; it's worked wonders! I sleep better, hardly any anxiety at all, NO panic attacks and I feel myself always smiling and having such a great outlook on life. I just feel... Normal and happy. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"Originally I was given citalopram for low-level anxiety of dealing with IBS symptoms while at work. I had absolutely no history of panic/anxiety attacks prior to taking this medication, just the nerves of having to run to the bathroom. I ended up thinking I was having a heart attack while (thankfully) at a dr's appointment and was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. Come to find out I had my first panic attack. After that, a week or so later, I spent over 24 hours in a panic cycle that had me incapacitated in bed. I ended up going to the ER again and they told me it was a rare side effect of citalopram and I was immediately taken off of it. I went from no panic ever to now dealing with Panic Disorder for the rest of my life. Miserable."

Levyn (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Celexa is my miracle drug! I'm on the generic Citalopram. It is the only thing that has worked for my severe anxiety due to adjustment disorder. I was previously on Prozac which only made the anxiety worse but Celexa calms me and makes me easier to be around. My moods are much more balanced and I have a joyful outlook on life. I'm on 20mg and I am so thankful for Celexa!"

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Don't let my rating scared you away from trying Celexa. It worked WONDERS for my anxiety! I could sleep again and go places and do things I couldn't have done without anxiety or panic attacks in over 2 years. Very little side effects and felt the affects immediately. However, 6 months in and I developed horrible stomach pains, swelling, acidity, etc. I've also developed horrible headaches. Stopped it a week and a half ago and all symptoms have vanished. Dr. said it was the Celexa and not a stomach bug that we had thought so we're switching it up. I hate that this happened since it really was a blessing and a relief to my life! Good luck!"

Socks245 November 10, 2017

"I have always had anxiety my entire life my dad also suffers so guess that’s where it came from I suffered a lot in social situations always worried I was going to embarrass myself even though I know I have a lot to say for myself and am naturally quite funny but always held back it’s been four weeks on it at 20mg and I am only writing this review as I feel it may help someone that was in my position it has helped me so much. I just feel relaxed talking to people, all the silly situations I use to make up in my head that might happen I don’t do anymore. I just feel like the person I should of been my entire life felt more anxious first two weeks but stuck with it now just feel normal no worry and I can just be myself best thing I ever done"

Sparky2929 November 3, 2017

"I wanted to share my experience while being on celexa. Before celexa I was a wreck, having racing thoughts and felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I'm a mother of two and a happily married wife. I've suffered with anxiety for about 6 years and I was so scared to get on medication. It wasn't until I seen a constant pattern of me going to the emergency room with panic attacks and the hospital staff knew my name as soon as I walked in! Being on celexa has completely changed my life back to the woman I was. It literally gave my mind a clear focus and now I live in the present. Not worrying about a million and one things. Before I couldn't even communicate because my thoughts would just race and I would be stuck in my own head."

Lyssxoxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "Worst experience of my life on this drug. Extreme insomnia, even taking an Ambien would not get me to sleep. If I did get a little sleep it was not restful, felt awake. Could not remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Short term memory gone. Could not eat, I would try but could barely swallow and food would fall out of my mouth, especially carbs like bread. Major muscle twitching, extreme sweating especially in inappropriate places like my groin so then I had even more anxiety feeling like I looked like I wet my pants. Headaches. This happened on a low dose taking it 3-4 weeks. Once stopping Celexa It took me 3-4 months to feel normal again, however I also feel this drug did some permanent damage to my brain."

Not ever again September 27, 2017

Celexa (citalopram): "TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

"I've been on and off of citalopram for the past 5 years (mostly on). I deal with GAD, depression, and PTSD. The therapeutic dose of 20 mg was what I was on initially, bumped to 40 as stress increased. This drug really helped me deal with my mixed bag of symptoms effectively. However, it caused anorgasma. Also caused a chronically stuffed nose as the dose increased."

BJ1097 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2017

"I'm 49 years old and I started having panic attacks and anxiety again. It first started when I had a surgery to extract my thyroid many years ago. I tried other medications but Citalopram was the only one that made me feel good again. I have been taking 20 mg for more than 2 years and the only side effect I have is dry mouth. Actually I do not even realize it. I can't imagine flying or staying in closed places without taking it."

LuciaM September 13, 2017

"I suffer from anxiety/depression decided to go to the doctor after sometime being that I just couldn't handle it anymore without some kind of meds. They started me on 20 mg which seemed to help but not quite to 100% yet! She then had me take 30 mg for a week and bumped it up to 40 mg but honestly it's to much I literally feel like I'm just "there" I feel physically exhausted it's a bad feeling and I'm still dealing with day to day anxiety but definitely not as bad as it was. I'm going to go back to 20 mg till I see my doctor again. Hate this awful feeling I have almost like a zombie it's like my brain is in a fog or something. I'm hoping she can add something to it I definitely can't go any higher then 20 mg"

Kaylily September 6, 2017