User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I have been on Celexa since 2000 for 17 years. It worked well for me. It doesn't work anymore. I have been having lots of break through panic attacks. So I am switching to effexor xr Hopefully it works for me. Good Luck."

JeniB March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Does not take away anxiety as it is the social situation which causes my anxiety, social support far better and talking to counsellor really helps . CBT abject nonsense. Causes faecal urgency and on occasions faecal incontinence. I am worried that even when I stop the drug this may continue. As I am in UK the drug is free as I am over 60 as have been the talking therapies because we pay out of our taxes for health care for all, although the rich don't like paying for the poor's health care"

The Clay Man (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Started on 5 mg Celexa about 7 months ago. Works great to take away most of my anxiety and irritability, still comes around sometime but on more normal means instead of every single day like I was miserable before I started on Celexa. Took a couple weeks to adjust to it and my orgasms are few and hard to achieve, but still possible, unlike other meds I've been on in the past. I love everything about Celexa, and would have given it a 10/10... however, I've gained 15 pounds since I started taking it. My diet and activity level has not changed so I'm assuming Celexa is to blame. This is now causing depression from the weight gain and the inability to keep it off... If you start Celexa, start exercising regularly to help maintain, wish I had..."

MoonlightX01 March 5, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Citalopram calms my mind and body. Without it I am very aggressive and too active sexually. Without it I feel as if my testosterone levels were too high. My wife and I have notice that even my testicles are bigger without Citalopram and that there seems to be a higher blood flow to my penis; it was the experience of a constant state of arousal. Psychologically, without it, I experienced lots of anger, aggressivity, sexual energy, and just a general out of control level of mental energy. We have both concluded that somehow Citalopram reduces my testosterone levels. And, let me tell you, I'm happy about it. I rather feel calm and centered than aggressive, angry, and freaking horny all the time. So, Citalopram is vital in my life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (comorbid to my ADHD) back in 2012, and had since been to CBT and was prescribed with multiple antidepressants for it since. However both these medications (Strattera & Zoloft) caused chronic fatigue that led me to stop the medication. Enter Celexa, prescribed end of 2016, I was at the time suffering from the regular hypochondria and other obsessions. I was apprehensive of the expected side effects but I am glad to report that to this day side effects are minimal. Yes, I have noticed a small difference in my working memory (decrease) and dreams (very vivid), but I believe the pros greatly outweigh the cons! Celexa has helped me feel normal again and empowered me, and would recommend 100%"

AlexAloe February 27, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I thought they were rubbish"

jgjknewjgbjwhgbewrhjt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "About 7 years ago I started having really bad anxiety while in college, it got to the point where I had to drop out and move back home. I was outgoing, social, confident, and then all of a sudden BOOM! I couldn't function at all and was convinced I was losing my mind. After trying the natural route for about 6 months I decided I needed a little extra help and that's when I decided to try an antidepressant. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to notice a difference but it was well worth the wait! I was back to my old self again and it felt awesome! Unfortunatly, I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and my anxiety has recently come back so now I am trying it again and am hoping it works as well as it did before."

Worked Great (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication works so well for me. I was having spikes with my blood pressure but only at night. I couldn't sleep well at all, so much anxiety about my blood pressure, and heart rate. I am really strong minded but this got the best of me. I reported this to my family Doctor and she prescribed citalopram 20 mg... not asking much about this drug I started it and much to my surprise I sleep like a baby and no more spikes with Blood pressure. I wake feeling refreshed no hangover and ready to meet the day. I don't have a problem being depressed at all, it was situational but this drug is a Godsent !!"

Linda Carol T February 22, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Update from my post a few weeks ago: I have been on Celexa now for about a month and have increased my dosage of Celexa to 20 mg. I feel like I can concur the world again! The night sweats have passed and I am calm and collected now. My thoughts are not focused around worry anymore and I can rationalize every day challenges again. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this for the past 9 days the first two days a had bad really bad diarrhea but after the first two days that went . I've read posts on here of men saying they just can't get an erection that's not been an problem with me at all it just takes a lot more effort to unload which can be tense but can also be a good thing. I've been drinking pretty heavy on it and it doesn't effect the drinking at all apart from some days you just don't want as much as normal which is a good thing. Even after the 9 days I've been on it I've been a lot happier in the day time and gone back to my funny sort of self . Don't take any notice of people's videos and thoughts on citalopram just try it your self . Sorry for spelling keep happy ."

Wales uk February 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I love Celexa. I have anxiety and it was really starting to effect my performance in college. I started Celexa (10mg) and the first 2 weeks were miserable! I was seriously depressed but after that two week adjustment phase it worked wonderfully! I could feel a tangible difference overnight! I love it but I would warn that the adjustment phase is brutal."

pacea February 14, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"WAS prescribed celexa for IBS,. Wasn't depressed until I started taking this for IBS. I'm irritated and don't understand why I can't take the librax which cured stomach cramps and acid reflux disease. Now I'm in pain, sad and depressed from the pain."

Dddddddddd (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "This medicine seemed to be helping with my anxiety somewhat, but I had to stop taking it because it was making me extremely forgetful! I would forget simple things, like my daughter had to go to school, what I had for lunch, just things you shouldn't forget. I felt in a fog..was very strange. I'm currently looking for another medication to help with my anxiety and depression, so far no luck :("

AmberLP February 11, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Completely effective. No side effects other than me being slightly more anxious after my first few doses, which was likely due to fear of possible side effects. Started to take effect after about three weeks. Been on it for three months and excessive anxiety has disappeared and I now wake up feeling great most mornings. Still go through normal cycle of emotions but it's like night and day compared to before i was taking it. Highly recommend it."

guy who took citalopram (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Coming onto this medication at first I didn't notice anything in particular. I was on the train and I just noticed that my disoriented thoughts and feeling super nervous calmed quite a bit. I did notice I didn't talk as much as I did before I started the medication. It helpsx with my depersonalization. But at the same time it adds fuel to my underlying depression that I had in the past. At the same time I believe that's a good thing. Because it's helping me heal hidden broken parts of myself. It especially helps when talking to my therapist about my past. I hate how tired I am, as I am typing this I think I yawned at least 8 times. Delayed orgasms suck as well...but sometimes I take a day off from taking one pill so it's okay."

brittneywins (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "this made me very weak and made my panic attacks worse. I had almost all side effects including weight loss as I'm already a thin person so I binned it after a few days. I went to my doctor and suggested zoloft instead and it had NO side effects and that helped my panic attacks go."

Blade Runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "My mother is 100 1/2 years old and has been living in a nursing home for the past 10 years. Last year she developed severe anxiety (not really depression), fearful of almost everything around her. Totally irrational. At the request of the family, the nursing home put her on 20 mg Celexa and her mood turned around almost immediately with no side effects. She was cheerful again and was willing to take life as it came her way. To see if she could function on a lower dose, about a month ago they dropped her dose to 10 mg and the anxiety returned. Today her dose was brought back up to 20 mg, and we are anticipating a return to her non-anxious self."

Dr BobR February 3, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I have severe anxiety at work and suffer from OCD. It got to the point where I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and panic attacks at work. I have taken Xanax occasionally and it seems to help, but only temporarily. I am not a "pill popper" and was very disagreeable when my DR suggested I take a SSRI. I reluctantly agreed to take Celexa as I was in fear of loosing my job. I have been taking 10 mg for two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. I do not feel anxious or panicky as much and I am able to think with a clear head. I do not seem to worry either. The only side effect so far is hot flashes at night. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 February 2, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ok Please read this if starting out on citalopram and worried. I have bad OCD and anxiety. I started taking citalopram in October, started off on 10mg I won't lie and say side effects are easy but it DOES get easier and they DO go away but it does take time, stick with it ,queasiness , lucid dreams , no sleep ,hands burning up felt spaced out a bit. I was going to give up after a week but they did subside after couple weeks and your body gets used to them so stick in there. Eat before taking them, bananas I found easy to eat when side effects took my hunger , if you have to up dose I bought a pill cutter and went up 2.5 mg at a time so now on 20 mg and getting there , please keep at it and good luck to all x"

Please keep at it .... January 28, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If I could give this medicine a 0 rating I would. Back when I first was suffering from a lot of anxiety, we had tried this before I tried xanax, which helped a TON more (long off the xanax, on a longer lasting medication now). ANYWAYS, I tried this, took a pill before my 530am shift, went into work, and turned into a zombie. lost ALL feeling of emotions, was rude to the customers, literally turned into another person. called the doctor in 2 weeks and said get me in NOW. After 4 days i threw out the bottle, saw the doctor and tried the xanax instead. Celexa made my anxiety 2000000x worse. I'm someone with constant anxiety issues, but antidepressants like SSRI's and SNRI's make my brain freak out. I'd throw these out & let the trash enjoy it"

Anonymous January 16, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I could barely sit in restaurants, I was constantly on edge feeling unsafe everywhere, obsessed with checking my pulse, I was in and out of derealisation feeling constantly floaty in a horrible way. Week 1-6 of citalopram - anxiety got worse, Hot flushes, or one part of my body was burning hot. Appetite was completely gone, and the nausea was quite bad. End of week 3 the physical symptoms started to pass and anxiety lifted. From week 3-6 my mood was all over the place, went from feeling normal to suicidal to desperately depressed and depression wasn't what I was being treated for. So beware of extreme mood changes because that is scary. But now week 8 and I feel 80% back to normal. I know is desperate but stick it out and it will be great!"

infra345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Celexa (citalopram): "Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016