User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 7 reviews 2 medications

Headache 5 reviews 228 medications

3.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 812 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "This worked well for my chronic insomnia for several years, minimal side effects, then I developed tolerance and eventually the doc jacked the dose up to the max (for hospitalized patients!) . I ended up hopelessly dependent on trazodone (as in addicted) and had to go through brutal, prolonged detox. I would guess doses of 150 mg and below are likely not a problem for dependence, but if you need more than that, I would go a different way. And never escalate the dose the way I did. That way madness lies."

RJPKelly (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This drug really worked for me. I have been taking 100 mg for my insomnia for 3 years, along with 20mg of lexapro for depression. I used to stay up til it was light outside and could not sleep at all. I was miserable. Now, if I forget to take the trazedone it's the same thing since its non habit forming. All in all, this drug worked for me and still does after 3 years."

Rachhhh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This will be my second night on 150mg trazodone for Insomnia and mdd that my doctor prescribed after amitryptine, fluoxetine, citalopram, quetiapine and venlafaxine didn't work for me. Venlafaxine was the best of the lot as it kept my anxiety away for some time but it just gave me a nasty dose of the insomnia. Doctor thought trazodone may work for my both conditions so as I said this is my second night, it hasn't helped my insomnia 1 little bit. Am I to wait a few more days for the sleepiness to kick in? Other comments are really appreciated"

Toughppllast (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started off taking 25mg Trazodone and eventually worked my way up to 75mg which I was on for about 2 months. Trazodone worked great for helping me fall and stay asleep throughout the night without waking up from panic attacks. It made me feel relaxed and I never felt the need for Xanax which was the case prior to taking Trazodone. However, getting off Trazodone was rough. The first week off, I had two panic attacks at night even while on an SSRI. After that I became more stable but experiencing those few panic attacks after getting off wasn't fun."

Anxiety/OCD Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I tried every drug and mixture of drugs to help me sleep. Ambien worked for a few months and then quit. Seroquel had me doing weird sleepwalk things. The others didn't work at all even when taken with other drugs also. Then I tried trazadone and what a lifesaver! I thought it would take a lot so I started with 200 mg. About a year later, I tried just 100 mg and it works just fine. It's about 8 years later and it still works as though I just started taking it. Thank you trazadone!!!"

kcbeachgal September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've been on trazodone for a month now after 11 years of insomnia. It has been a life saver I have really bad anxiety and my mind races at night but with this medicine I fall asleep within 15 minutes, and stay asleep through out the night."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I was on Trazodone for insomnia, and it did what it was supposed to: I would fall asleep within 30 minutes, and I would stay asleep through the night. The issue I had with it is that I would sleep for way longer than I'd want to, and I would no feel well rested after I woke up. I would have difficulty concentrating and I my mind would feel like it was slowed down, and that would last about 4-5 hours after I woke up (and I'd already have slept for about 12 hours, so that's about half of a normal waking day that I'd feel I lost to Trazodone). If I absolutely needed to sleep, Trazodone was helpful, but also a game of russian roulette: Would it be better to sleep but not feel rested, and feel sluggish for most of the day, or risk not sleeping?"

Geoff2234 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Was given this pill by my doc for insomnia. I took the pill at 10:30 pm, was very drowsy by 11:15 pm but was also unable to fall asleep. The severe drowsiness lasted about 2 hours, yet I was unable to sleep. I got up to move around until I thought I could sleep, and felt off balance and mentally a bit out of it. Finally fell asleep at about 1:30 am, and woke at 7:30 am feeling awful. Still at 9 am I feel a bit out of it, but most of all I am absolutely exhausted. The sleep wasn't good, in fact it was a terrible experience. I will not take this ever again."

Tired in LA September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been newly diagnosed with a moderate fibromyalgia. Not getting enough sleep and waking up with severe pain when trying to sleep. My doctor started me with 50 MG of trazodone taking 1/2 tablet at bedtime. This is the first week and it's working well. My sleep has increased to 6-8 hours as recommended by MD. At the onset of the pain it has subsided quickly. I am a busy healthcare professional , I exercise daily and drink plenty of fluids. It was also recommended that I go to counselling because I have a lot of personal related stress."

Dinky60 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I have dealt with insomnia since 2005. I tried Benadryl, all the sleep aids you can name but it wasn't until I realized I don't sleep normal. I was feeling horrible on 2-3 hours of sleep at night. My doctor recommended Trazodone, which I had never heard of. On this medicine I know I'll sleep and feel good the next day. It did take a week or so to get over the "hangover" feeling but for someone like myself that does have severe depression and insomnia I recommend this medication"

Sleeping like my dogs (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I am currently on 250 mg I have fatigue, weakness, painful arms & legs, can't sleep very well, no motivation.."

papp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I am in my mid fifties and my anxiety has gradually worsened over the past 6 years or so. I'm now off work. I have tried a few meds but this is the most recent. I only took 50mg for 3 weeks. I found my sleep to be a little better and I seemed slightly less self conscious if that makes sense. The negatives far outweighed any benefits though. Within the first week I had lost my appetite and when I ate I would just bloat. I also got stomach pains. It basically shut my metabolism down. I have extreme headaches and dizziness as well and zero motivation. I have to say that I am one of those people that are very sensitive to medications so this drug may benefit some people"

Summercrash (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I started taking Trazadone 50mg after being diagnosed with depression and anxiety plus insomnia in January. I have been seeing my GP for four years on and off with insomnia and twice a year would leave the surgery with a few diazepam for a couple of nights sleep. Then an epiphany moment came whilst reading a magazine, my insomnia was caused by the menopause! Trundled back to my GP who did blood tests which established that although young at 43 I was in fact well and truly into the menopause. My Trazadone dose went from 50 to 100mg and then to 150mg at bedtime. I have been taking this dose now for six months and have not noticed any improvement in my sleep. I constantly wake between 3 and 4am every night unless I take one Lorazepam tablet?"

simplythebesters September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Terrible side effects, I lost a ton of weight, I throw up all the time, have diarrhea - all the time. I am slowly stopping to take this medicine."

Army77 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Gives me a headache daily each morning. When I take it my brain feels heavy, I don't like the feeling."

562calikidLA September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Worst medicine I have ever tried. It gave me the worst migraine I've ever had they lasted 13 hours. I had to call out of work and I couldn't move or get out of bed. No medicines worked and I was vomiting."

Memorleti September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took trazadone for nearly 15 years to help me sleep and loved it. I feel asleep within 30 minutes and didn't feel crumby the next day. After all of that time I suddenly had a side effect that I couldn't stand and had to get off of it. Every time I took it I suddenly felt completely congested and couldn't breath through my nose. (This is a rare side effect listed with this medication). My mouth would be so dry and sometimes I'd even wake up feeling like I was choking. I'm so grateful it worked for so long and wish j could still take it. I can't find that same rest with anything else I've been trying."

So helpful for so long... (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking 50 mg of Trazadone for over a year now. I think it's awesome! I was prescribed it for insomnia, I have had insomnia since high school and I'm talking BAD insomnia, like 3 hours or less a night. I could not cope any more. I also have depression and anxiety, so I take 37.5 mg of Paxil everyday. I take the Paxil in the am and the Trazadone at night. When I take my normal dose of T. I wake up fine, not hungover, sick or anything. The ONLY time I feel yuck when waking up is if I have tried to cut the T. down, which I have tried. I don't like the withdrawals at all, I would rather take these pills for life then suffer the withdrawals. I believe the T has also helped me with my depression."

Finally Sleeping! August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Been on trazadone for short time I have not found it effective for sleep. Taken off Ambien which put me right to sleep but can't say the same for trazadone. I take 100mg yet I can't seem to fall asleep. I get dry mouth and stuffy nose. Sorry trazadone"

Ziggy89 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take 300mg of Trazodone for sleep, 200 mg Zoloft for depression plus medication for anxiety. Well the trazodone works for about 4 - 5 hours then wide awake. I don't think that Zoloft is working right anymore but will have to wait until I go back to mental health to chat about both. In the mean time just have to get by and avoid people."

z89013 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I had been on Zanex to help me sleep. Usually took it every other night. My new NP wanted me to switch to trazodone. Absolutely no help! In fact, it has made falling asleep 10 times worse. Last night I took it at 9:45. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:45! No more for me!"

Party Cake (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "About an hour after taking it, I feel very drowsy and able to sleep for a couple hours, maybe 3-4 hours but it also made me have strange dreams and I'd wake up extremely hungry, having to get up out of bed to eat in the middle of the night. Not worth it, in my opinion. Going back to taking Melatonin."

AB92 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Been on Trazadone for 2 months for insomnia and traumatic nightmares associated with PTSD and depression. Helps me somewhat in falling asleep, but I still can't stay asleep. Wake up repeatedly during the night with awful nightmares. When I wake up the next morning (11 hours after taking 50mg) I am unsteady on my feet, sometimes fall. Exhausted all day. Feeling more depressed and despairing (also taking fluoxetine 40mg)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Who's bright idea was to make this pill asymmetrical?? I can't even break the damn thing in half. And with its weird shape, it never fails to get painfully stuck in the back of your throat."

Lololomeowsie August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "So I suffer from depression, OCD and anxiety.. I have been on sertraline (Zoloft) which has helped with everything but hasn't helped with all the anxiety (evening and morning anxiety.. I have problems turning my mind off at night).. I also have had sleeping issues for years and my zoloft made it worse. My Primary Care Physician prescribed Trazadone to take before bed. I sleep so well when I take it, but I have to take it early enough or I can't wake up in the morning. It knocks me out and I do get a restful sleep but lasts in my body for a good 10 hours.. So I have to be aware of when I am taking it at night. If it is too late then I don't take it.. Thus I don't get a restful sleep, but at least I'm not late to work. Overall I recommend it."

Jewella (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017