User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 7 reviews 2 medications

Headache 5 reviews 245 medications

3.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 772 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "Dr prescribed this for my insomnia. Took 50 mg last night, felt drowsy and was hopeful I would sleep. Kept waking up every hour or so, then falling back asleep. Woke up with a horrible headache, felt disoriented, dizzy, and like I was really badly hungover. Won't be trying trazodone again - ever!"

Psychodiva (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Absolutely did not work for me. Slept for a short time at 50 MG (lowest dose) & anything above that gave me a terrible headache the following morning. I tried it in lieu of Dalmane & a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I'm newly on Cymbalta (still at 30mg) and experiencing insomnia. Doctor put me on Trazodone (50-100) to help the sleep issues. Last night, I took one 50mg Trazodone. Felt sleepy within 30 minutes, but not enough to sleep. Doc had said I could use 0.5-1mg Ativan with it. So I took 0.5 and did fall asleep after another hour. However, I was up off and on all night!! I have to get up early for work, so couldn't take any more meds over the night. Tonight I'm going to take 100mg of the Trazodone and pray it works. But I have doubts. This is the second sleep med she's prescribed that hasn't worked. First was Belsomra. Useless. I'll post how tonight goes."

Ctmom101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "With all due respect, don't listen to the naysayers. Its a great medication. No loading period, you can come off at anytime and it is only mildly addicting when taken in high doses for long periods. You will sleep, it will keep your anxiety and depression in check and it will allow you to be yourself again. People who tried it for a night and complain in reviews have not given it a chance. I don't understand, do they prefer to have their brain chemistry altered forever by paxil? lol Trazadone is a SARI and a minor one at that. I don't want to be a slave to paxil and the like forever, hence traz is a much better option."

Zilo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I came down with an awful virus I soon could only sleep 5 hrs per night. Trazodone worked well the 1st two nights but I needed a kick start (ativan or Benadryl) thereafter but it definitely kept me sleeping through the night. It's difficult to tell which of my symptoms were the virus and which were Trazodone but the faint headaches and prominent dizzines have definitely been the Trazodone. I also noticed I was becoming more forgetful and loosing my ability to focus. Anxiety may or may not be attributed to this drug also. The final straw, I was watching a concert online but when I paused the video, I kept hearing the music. It was a pretty effective scare. I'm done with this drug!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Update on my review from 2 years ago: still on Trazodone and still singing its praises. Since my first review I have moved across the country and consequently have different insurance and different doctors and I've had such an oddly difficult time getting it refilled. My last doctor refused to refill it and I had to go without for 4 months. It severely impacted my health as I was unable to sleep alongside my ever worsening mental state (depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc). As far as medication goes, Trazodone is the only constant for me."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I've been taking trazadone for about 4 years. I started because my mind would not settle down enough at night to allow me to go to sleep. Trazadone @50mg doesn't knock me out or make me so sleepy I can't stay awake but it absolutely settles my mind enough that I can lay down and sleep. Yes I'm a little groggy when I first open my eyes but within an hour I'm wide awake and looking forward to another nights sleep."

Charliecansleepnow (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I started taking 50mg about 4 years ago as I had a hard time going to and staying asleep. It worked, for me. About 15 mins later I'm asleep, and I wake up restful and not grouchy. I use to be a grouch in the morning. After about a year I felt it was not as effective as in the beginning so my doc upped it to 100mg and I've never looked back. Love me some trazodone!"

sleepy\restful (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Trazodone for insomnia due to depression/anxiety. I was hesitant on starting the medication, it took me about 3 months to finally have a break down and decide to try it. I wish I would have taken it right away. I finally have the energy and happiness back in my life that I've been missing for almost 3 years now. I was so depressed because of the sleep I was lacking, I could hardly do the minimal daily tasks or even get out of bed for the day. I was crying about it to my husband and he suggested I finally try it. It's like day and night. I'm also on Sertraline daily, that I have been taking about 8 months now."

Madison431292514 May 18, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I've been having problems sleeping due to anxiety and depression and was prescribed this. The first night/day was awful, I was extremely groggy and had a headache all day. I also had a problem with my eyes being sore, I'm not taking anymore."

NomsMcgee (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "It was my first night last night on Trazodone, I have it for sleep and depression but mainly sleep. I managed to get 8 hours but dropping off to sleep was difficult, I took a 150mg about 10pm and dropped off to sleep just after 12. I woke up really sluggish and energy less"

Jess54 May 12, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "If you can imagine restlessness and extreme sleepiness at the same time, horrible. Walking around in my apartment shaking my arms and legs while being so sleepy and tired was miserable but I have since read that if you are taking medication for seratonin uptake inhibitors that it could cause that so I think it was a side effect. Still ......miserable , so make sure what you are taking with it and discuss with your doctor concerns about drug interactions."

Jeepersjuju May 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "This medication is an excellent sleep aider, I'd compare them to temazepam for sleep, less dodgy and it does really help you sleep, I'm on 150mg a night and it does knock me out, I love this medication and I'd recommend this over benzo's ad zopiclone any day."

Barnzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was taking Xanax for many years to treat my anxiety. New guidelines, however, said I couldn't continue because of the pain medicines I take and fear of overdose. My doctor prescribed Trazadone. I was hesitant at first but I took it because I wasn't sleeping. It works great! I can't believe I like it even better than the Xanax! While on Xanax I still had anxiety but this med has really helped both anxiety and insomnia."

Nullery May 9, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Help! I take adderal so I have to take Trazodone to help me sleep. 20 mins after I take Trazodone I binge eat. I have gained 20 to 30 pounds. Is there another medication I can take to help me sleep and not binge eat? I'm also trying to get pregnant so it has to be safe to take. Please help!"

Pinkposie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have not slept more than an hour or two for literal years without pain waking me due to my Chronic Nerve Pain. I now take the 50 mg dose & wow I sleep almost immediately & do not wake drowsy or dizzy, I also notice a pain relief benefit, I do not wake in raging pain wondering how I am going to walk! I am also on Effexor for anxiety & medical marijuana for pain, all seem like a well oiled machine weeks in"

thebocat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Works very well for my anxiety as well as a bit for my depression. Definitely the best medicine I have ever tried for anxiety, even works better for me than Xanax with much less dangerous side effects."

samsdb May 1, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "My husband and I went through a very rough patch after having kids and I suffered terrible post partum depression. He ended up leaving me for somebody else at the time and I was put on Trazodone because I was not able to shut my brain off at night and wasn't getting any sleep. I was prescribed a whole 100mg tab but only took a 1/4 tab before bed and it was enough to shut my mind off and take away those depressing thoughts. I haven't had to take it for almost a year now but it helped bring that old me back."

Pharm Tech 2017 April 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Trazarone 50mg works for me great! I wasn't getting any sleep and was going thru anxiety, panic attacks and depression. This medication works wonderful."

Liri84 April 29, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I either fall asleep super easily, but wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts or I have terrible insomnia and can't fall asleep to begin with. I take 300mg of Effexor every day and my NP told me we would start off with 50mg of Trazodone to help with this issue. She said to take it about 30 min before bedtime and that I needed to be laying down, relaxing for it to work or I would bypass the effects. I've taken the drug a handful of times and each time it has done NOTHING. I still lay in bed wide awake with my thoughts. The day after taking it I have horrendous dry mouth which wouldn't be the worst side effect if it was actually working for me."

m3815 April 28, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I am a 50 year old struggling through the initial stages of menopause. The hot flashes and insomnia have been miserable and HRT is not an option. My GP recommended Trazodone and I am so grateful! The hot flashes seem to be cyclical with me so I can go months with no issues and then they come back, so I only use Trazodone at the height of sleep disruption. I usually can take 25mg and it works fine, other times I take 50mg. Takes about an hour for it to kick in and I sleep through the hot flashes, which are every 30 minutes. Love this medication and it is so inexpensive!"

Nezra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "Love trazodone. I was taking Ambein to help me sleep but I would wake up after 2 or 3 hours. My doctor prescribed trazodone and I sleep 7 to 9 hours a night...plus it has helped my anxiety. Totally recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Since around age 4 years old I've had a problem with sleeping. After having my kids my sleep what sleep I was getting went away. By time I hit 30 I truly thought I was going to die from exhaustion, then grand babies came my thought than was "ok now what I do", my HCP blew me off. So I returned to my old HCP and with my PTSD and OSTD he put me on traz. And first night on traz 50mg I slept for 12 HOURS OMG it was so amazing only problem I see is its like a alarm clock....I wake up at 4:00am no sweats...no dry mouth...etc. I never knew sleeping felt so good and I'm almost 50 yrs old. All my life fighting the chronic insomnia and now I have something that helps me I just pray my body doesn't reject it"

Maryb_49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking trazodone 4/5 years ago after trying Prozac, Zoloft, Quetiapine and other a few other medications with no luck. It worked for me straight away. I did notice some weight loss for the first few months but I put this down to my increased mood and therefore lack of emotional eating - it was probably also because it lowered my anxiety and I felt like I had a clear mind for the first time in a long time. I took 100mg at night because of the sedating affect. I did feel groggy in the mornings but a coffee helps. I also noticed more frequent dreams but other than that I had no side effects! I'm only giving this an 8 because sadly now the medication no longer has an effect on me."

Carlssss April 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "When I took my dosage at bedtime it was wonderful as long as I didn't have to get back up in the deep sleep it puts me In. Which I desperately need. However I literally will sleep 12 hours straight or until someone wakes me up. So I may need to cut my dose in half. Luckily I am able to stay home or I would be fired."

Tracyg65 April 21, 2017