User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,207 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of those users who reviewed Trazodone reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome  Off-label 7.6
Headache  Off-label 3.4
Summary of Trazodone reviews 6.5 1,207 reviews

Reviews for Trazodone

Jdog · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

Desyrel (trazodone) for Sedation: “Prescribed for sleeping. Tried three times and every time gave a stuffy nose. Extremely irritating and couldn’t fall asleep because of that. To me it was useless.”

J · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 1, 2021

For Insomnia: “It is VERY difficult to stop Trazodone as there are significant withdrawal symptoms: such dizziness, stomach issues, sleep issues. Trazodone does not have warnings about withdrawal symptoms. Under the guidance of my physician, I have had to lower the dosage so gradually.This is difficult to do with such a small round pill. I had been taking 75 mg and this month of withdrawal has been difficult . Take Trazodone at your own risk.”

Nopie · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

For Insomnia: “I was prescribed Trazodone for sleep since my current Mirtazapine was causing me to gain a ton of weight. My very first dose of Trazodone gave me the experience of never taking them again. I became extremely panicky like I was going to have a panic attack. Anxiety all night long. It definitely did not help me sleep at all. Dry mouth galore, made me extremely thirsty. I don’t like the feeling I had on this med so I have stopped at one dose. Not worth it to continue. I’ll go back to Mirtazapine and just deal with the weight gain.”

Jerry · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

For Depression: “Started this just a week ago 50mg. I’ve never had anxiety, stress, or depression. But had a lot happen within a month and just brought me down. The anxiety was causing me to lose sleep or wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep. Brain fog and trouble focusing. The first night (Sunday) taking this I slept all night and woke up less stressed and started feeling like myself. Brain fog has slowly gone away. Today is Thursday Feb.25,2021 and I can tell such a difference. I missed a dose on Wednesday and definitely can tell. But I recommend this for sure. I’ve had no side effects other than a headache.”

moninja7 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 25, 2021

For Insomnia: “Trazodone is highly sedating. You need to take it 30 min to an hour before bedtime or you will be really groggy in the morning. Also, make sure you’re not going to be getting up after taking it because it may lower your BP and you may faint, like I did. Out of no where. Luckily I was already at the hospital with my son. Don’t drive on it, just sleep! Be careful when taking this medication and consider the side effects.”

Rooster · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2021

“I've been taking Trazodone for about a year now. I have had minimal side effects but I sleep through most nights. I never had a problem going to sleep but was always up about 55 minutes after I fell asleep. Couple this with horrible dreams. I still have dreams but don't flail, jerk and kick nearly as much as I used to. I would call this drug a success for me so far. Less irritable, not as depressed and better rested. I just started Wellbutrin to help with quitting smoking...I am starting to see a few differences in my sleeping and mood but that also may be the nicotine withdraw.”

Vixan · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have been taking trazodone for anxiety. I take 50 mg once before bedtime. It doesn’t put me to sleep right away like some people say, but it does prevent me from waking up within the night. Once I’m asleep, I stay asleep which is great. My anxiety has definitely been a lot more manageable, my appetite has improved, and my mood has improved. Disclaimer: I also take bupropion so my experience with trazodone may be different than most since I am taking two medications.”

Jun · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

For Insomnia: “I’ve been on this med since around October 2020. It has its good and bad sides. Really bad dry mouth is like a default you need to agree to. It doesn’t get better lol. However, it’s the only thing that has helped me achieve a natural-like sleep that doesn’t induce heavy sedation. You might feel groggy or tired throughout the day at first, but it gets better. Other than dry mouth and some tiredness, it’s pretty decent.”

Mac February 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “I started Trazodone at the suggestion of my doctor who said it was non addictive and it may help to wean me off of Ativan, which I started taking for depression following mom's death. I ended up taking two Trazodone (100 mg) nightly. In four months approximately I detoxed off the Ativan. I waited a month and started weaning off the Trazodone by dropping a quarter pill, to 1.75 pills per night. This was tough but I persisted and in a couple of more weeks I dropped down to 1.5 pills per night. At this point I had extreme reaction where it felt like my head was in a vice and I was in panic mode. So I went back to 1.75 pills for another month and my head came out of the vice, then I dropped back to 1.5 pills. My head was in a vice again but I persisted and in a week I started feeling better. I am currently taking 0.75 Trazodone one night and 0.5 the next. I will move all the way to zero pills this way. Way too long of a detox for me. Never again....I hope.”

J.J · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2021

For Insomnia: “I'm prescribed temazepam but have been offered this by doctors and eventually decided to try this for a few days after it was prescribed to a family member. It does make you sleepy but I felt intoxicated and groggy in the morning. No thanks. I prefer the benzos and z-drugs but might be for you if you don't want potentially addicting medications or cant get anything better”

trazo20years · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2021

For Depression: “I got prescribed trazodone 23 years ago for a sleeping aid. My doc thought I was depressed so gave me 300mg. I am still on 100mg every night and I am severely depressed I am in bed for around 16 hours a day. I have lost all interest in everything in life no motivation for anything. I am drained within 2 hours of getting up and have to go to bed again. I have tried a few times to get off trazodone but I get to around 55-60 hours awake and give up and take the trazodone again. My wife left me 10 years ago as she had enough of the way I was. Concentration and listening to people is difficult as you're not interested in what anyone's saying. I have been awake 33 hours so far (trying to get off trazodone again)and a bit teary thinking of the 20+ years I have slept in my bed for--its a bad drug for a lot of people”

Thankful February 15, 2021

For Insomnia: “I was prescribed trazodone in June of 2019 to help with my insomnia. I find it helpful most nights. It has also helped with my severe anxiety, panic attacks & depression. For me it has been a god sent . I was hesitant to try it, but thankful I did. Started at 25 mg & went up to 100 mg over time.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 14, 2021

For Insomnia: “I've taken many over the counter anti depressants and insomnia meds and trazadone has been my favorite. I have never had bad side effects like weight gain, cold sweats etc with it. The worst side effects are grogginess "if you don't have 8 hours of sleep" and occasional cottonmouth. I take 100mg to 150mg a night. It is definitely worth trying. I've tried a lot and trazadone bang for its buck superseded all others...”

Riccardoriva · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2021

For Insomnia: “I took a dose from 20mg to 50 mg. After all I can say my sleep was very well, almost perfect but I had during the day sleepiness and felt drowsy and groggy. The weird fact is that these horrible sensations aroused only roughly 8 days out of ten. It was impossible for me to understand why I felt relaxed one or two days and then so bed fo the other days. I am still looking to something to substitute it”

Jass · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking 50mg of Trazadone for a couple of weeks now and had to raise them tonight to 100mg. After around 30 minutes my mouth is so dry and my nose feels totally blocked so I'm breathing with my mouth open. Is this a side effect and will it go away once I take these another few days or should I drop back to 50 mg for another while anyone help.”

Westiemom · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

For Insomnia: “I have trouble “turning my mind off” and falling asleep. I tried up to 75 mg of Trazodone for almost a week, only to be wide awake until wee hours of the morning, 6 a.m. one morning. I have experienced scary heart palpitations, very vivid dreams, headache and grogginess upon waking, short term memory issues, and joint and muscle pain.”

Jo February 9, 2021

For Depression: “On Trazdone for bipolar 2. Went to the ER because my depression was terrible. Told nurse that I was having trouble sleeping. She said her husband takes it and loves it, that it has a very short half life, and doesn’t make you groggy in morning. She gave me the 50mgs. I am highly sensitive to meds. Also on klonopin as needed. My dreams are pretty messed up but it does induce sleep for me, I wake up groggy but coffee wakes me, for the entire day I’m alert and awake but not moving or exercising, eating like a savage, horny as can be. After reading reviews I’ve decided to call it quits after a few nights. Was hoping this would be my miracle drug because I’d been on so many other things in the past but never this one. I feel stoned on it like I have no filter and just say whatever comes to mind, just feel strange and even a bit paranoid about certain little things. Sure does lift my mood though even though I’ve been a total cow today.Bye bye trazodone.”

Zlinda · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For Anxiety: “I been taking trazodone for 2 days now and it works good for my anxiety and insomnia but when it about 9pm (when I take it again) I feel like my heart is pounding and it’s making me paranoid I think it’s the pill wearing off but still feels awful”

JustC · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2021

For Insomnia: “About 20 minutes or so after I take trazodone I get anxiety and a weird feeling through my head. About an hour after taking it I feel my heart thumping. And I have it prescribed for insomnia, well, it keeps me awake all night. Tried it 4 times and it's a no. I would rather 4 hours of sleep than 2! Makes me eat and metallic taste in mouth. 30 mg is what I took.”

Gustavo Bldn · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2021

For Anxiety: “razodone caused me tachycardia on the first day, it looked like I was going to have a heart attack. I've taken all kinds of medications of the kind and even anti-psychotic, but I didn't have the side effects that 100mg trazodone did to me.”

Sleep medicine · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2021

For Insomnia: “Helps me alot to sleep”

D · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

For Insomnia: “Dull headache the next day. I felt very hungover after taking this medication. I will continue to try other meds to help with insomnia.”

Freia33 · Taken for 10 years or more January 21, 2021

For Insomnia: “Trazodone has one active metabolite (mCPP) which is a well-known anxiety-provoking agent used in animal and human experiments to induces panic attacks and hostility. It also generates headaches for testing potential anti-migraine medications. MCPP leads to  breathing trouble, feelings of suffocation, heart palpitations, decreased motor control, confusion, OCD, bipolar behavior, mania and alcohol cravings. MCPP is banned in 12 countries where it's only permitted for scientific research. Trazodone significantly impairs memory, verbal learning and eyesight. I've taken this medication for 20 years and am now legally blind without a prescription. Trazodone gave me chronic fatigue syndrome, orthostatic intolerance, arrhythmia and cerebral ischemia. It triggers seizures and heart attack in the elderly which occurred to both my parents. It decreases blood flow to the brain, causes oxidative stress, reduces sodium and glutathione levels, limits oxygen uptake and depletes mitochondria.”

50mg Trazodone · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2021

For Insomnia: “Did not help with middle of the night insomnia. Still wake up and unable to fall back asleep. Did not notice any side effects other than an increase in nightmares. Had about 3 nightmares and a few more disturbing and vivid dreams which I didn't have before.”

S · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2021

For Anxiety: “At the beginning I was scared to use this drug as many people with anxiety are when they start new medications. I started with trazodone 12 mg with lorazepam and then 25 mg with lorazepam, then finally 50 mg without lorazepam. The 50 mg really helped with my sleep! I can finally fall asleep and stay asleep. You really need to give this medication time to work. It took about 1-2 weeks for it to work for me. At 50 mg it doesn’t help much with my anxiety but for sleep and appetite it’s been amazing. Life saving drug!”