User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 6 reviews 2 medications

Headache 5 reviews 245 medications

3.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 714 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "I am 64 a have been taking Trazadone for about 7 months for insomnia . Trazadone did not work for me at all. It caused me to have several side effects including slurred speach, weakness, fatigue, flu like symptoms, brain fog etc. I started out taking 50 mg. I went up to 100 when it didn't work. The withdrawals have been awfull. Reduce 12.5 mg. every 2-4 weeks. Can't wait until I am free of this drug. I did a lot of research to educate myself as to what my body was depleted of to cause insomnia. Taking natural products only now. Melatonin, GABA, Selenium, and some others. Kavinace, and Native Rest. Plus some natural hormone therapy . Have 25 mgs of Trazadone to go until I am off completely. Sleeping good now!"

ZER January 16, 2017

For Headache: "I take the medication once in a while and I get terrible headaches in the morning "

aries_lover (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

For Insomnia: "I went a year with hardly any sleep, some nights I didn't sleep at all and Others I got maybe 3-4hours. I have a sleeping disorder where I can't enter REM sleep. So I was prescribed 150mg of Trazodone. It was a complete life saver!! The first two weeks on it I would feel groggy maybe 2-3hours after I woke up, but that wore off and now I just get great sleep! I had many sleep related issues such as severe anxiety, and agoraphobia, but this medicine, having me to be able to sleep cleared the majority of those problems away! This was such a life changer for me I'm so grateful for it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

For Insomnia: "I was taking 60mg of restoral at night for about 2 years. I would take Zoloft during the day to help with a PTS disorder. My doc. Recently changed my sleep aid to trazodone 50-100mg a night, I have never had a better nights sleep in my life, the main thing that worked for me was to dim the lights and lay down about 20 minutes after taking trazodone, within 10 minutes I was asleep. Woke up without being groggy all day, no longer need a nap after work or during breaks at work. I have taken ambien, miritzapam, zanex, Tylenol p.m.,Advil p.m. restoral, all to wake up feeling out of it the whole day. Trazodone works well for me, been 7 months with the same results every night 6-7 hours of sweet dreams."

Char41661gmail.com January 1, 2017

For Sedation: "Trazodone was prescribed to me as a sedation for sleep at night. I had a very bad night the first night. I had an extreme temperature and excessive sweating. However, this happened to me only in the first night. After that it worked fine. Weirdly I had taken it before and had discontinued due to lack of insurance. The very first time I took it I had the exact same reaction only on the first night. Vivid dreams, extreme sweat, elevated temperature. I felt very feverish. After that, nothing out of the ordinary except being able to sleep."

Dallys (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've had insomnia problems for nearly 20 years. At 27, I barely got 7 hours of sleep a week! Then my doctor prescribed Trazodone and I've never looked back. Now I get 6 hours a night easy."

Sleepless for decades (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2016

For Insomnia: "Trazedone is worthless to help me fall asleep unless i wanna wait 4-5hours then i cant get up in the morning.i feel groggy all day.Takes way too long to work even at 150mg.abien works much better"

Mike saam (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "Because of depression I had developed insomnia. My doctor had prescribed me ambien, but that wore off real quick that it wasn't working anymore. Then I was feeling even more depressed because I was worrying about sleeplessness which led me to a viscious cycle, then I tried this Trazadone , it has been a God send for me. I feel normal again I sleep like a baby, at first, before trazadone I was sleeping about 3 hours or so. I have 50 mg and 100. I usually go with 50 and I'm a pretty big dude 250lbs. Just take it with a Lil food before bed time,if u don't it won't work as well. Good luck and be patient if your new to this drug. You have to do a Lil experiment on yourself with this before u get it right as far as in dosage and time."

xMannyfreshx December 22, 2016

For Sedation: "I was started on Trazodone 50 mg 1 week ago for insomnia and have experienced joint and muscle pain and weakness. I feel like I have been to the gym every morning! Anyone else experience this and if so did it go away?"

Vdawn (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

For Insomnia: "For the past 3years insomnia literally no sleep doctor prescribed zoloft and trazadone since Dec 6 2016 I have be sleeping at night!!! I'm happy again, not mean throughout the day, I'm not overthinking life is great I'm happy"

Flyise (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was on Trazodone for nearly a year, taking as much as 300mg nightly. There's a positive and a negative. It does help with sleeplessness because of its sedating effect. It doesn't guarantee you will fall asleep. There were several nights I can remember when it felt like the trazodone wasn't working and I'd be up all night. The positive was it helped on most nights. But just like other prescription drugs, it is habit forming and does cause dependence even though doctors may say otherwise. I tried quitting cold turkey after a few months and my nights were hellish. Zero sleep, racing thoughts, excess energy in the middle of the night, it was absolutely weird. Id only recommend trazodone, if you absolutely must. Try for the natural route."

Abkel01 December 17, 2016

For Sedation: "I have had insomnia since I was 12, I started taking this when I was 14 and have been sleeping wellish since. My body adjusts to it very easily though, so my doctor had to keep going up on my dose, now I just take my 100 to 150 MG of trazodone at night and a melatonin if i need it. Works pretty well. I don't have any nightmares but my dreams are strange."

Katija (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

For Insomnia: "Update~ i have been on Traz for almost one week. I no longer have any side effects..the dizziness, hang over feeling that lasted all day, does not happen anymore. My dose is 100mg. My body has got used to the drug and now the medication is helping me sleep very well. I have a small snack with the dose and take it 30 minutes before go to bed. Sometimes take a lower dose, like 50mg or 75mg..to see if I can fall asleep with that amount. Sometimes it works other times I have to increase up to 100mg(around 2 hours later..if I haven't fallen asleep). I almost quit this drug, but I worked through the side effects. You need to stay on it for at least 1 week and it should start working well for you and the side effects will lessen or cease."

Sleepy in SD (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've only been taking Trazadone for about a week, but it has been a life changer for me so far. My insomnia was so bad at times that I would be lucky to get 2, 3 hours of sleep, it even that. Followed up with a 9 hour work day. I tried every natural approach for years but I would wake up constantly every night and not be able to fall back asleep. Since taking trazadone (50 mg) I fall asleep and wake up maybe once a night, but fall back asleep fast. I've taking anti depressants in the past, and I find all of them very mild. No night sweats, and I haven't even had a vivid dream yet. I also only have taken this on nights that I really need to. And morning grogginess goes away after a shower and cup of tea and sure beats a day of hell at work."

Brandon M December 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "Worst time with this medication. Nightmares, sleep walking, severe headaches, vomiting, didn't help me sleep at all, I would wake up and sleep walk into different rooms knowing I was sleep walking but so disoriented I had no idea where I was. On night I walked to a storage building and stripped and fell breaking my arm. I was there until the next morning because I couldn't get up and didn't have a cell phone. My father had tried calling but with no answer he finally drove up and eventually found me... I hated the hangover effect.... I hope others benefit from it."

Irnhorses0 December 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I wrote another review under insomnia but it is caused by anxiety. Trazodone has helped me out although I also take Zoloft during the day and I seem to be much better as well as I sleep at night after years of insomnia and anxiety the combination I feel is working. Of course most people can't take Trazodone during the day and I initially had side effects and on the first night fell into my dresser after getting up to use the bathroom. Initial dose was 150 mg so right away I cut it down to 75mg. I still had side effects such as tremors in the morning for a couple of hours and stopped taking it. After going back to very little sleep I tried it again taking only 50mg. The tremors went away after a few weeks. Now all good.THUMBS UP. TRY A MONTH"

Dr. Philgood December 10, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed trazodone at 20 years old for depression I took it for 21 years I was also an alcoholic for 21 years my blood pressure was so high the doctor had to change my medication I was petrified as I'd relied on trazodone for so long within 3 weeks taking a new anti depressant metrazapine I'd become the teetotaler that was over 3 years ago can't stand smell of alcohol I was a chronic alcoholic all them years 4 residential rehabilitations even embarrassed as I am to admit it but 4 pregnancys didn't stop my dependency I say it had the opposite effect on me why a GP didn't pick up on it I really don't know"

Mpttinds (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "Once it is in your system, the side effects are not so strong. For me it went from severe dizziness and basically "knocking me out"..to no side effects. I also woke up severally drowsy and thought why take this if I can't function the next day? But, I got to a point where I was not sleeping at all, so I kept trying this drug and it got better. I was able to get some sleep and not have harsh side effects. I want to take this short term to get back on track on my own. I am scheduled to see a sleep dr..but until then I will have to take this."

Sleepy in SD (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

For Insomnia: "This medication helped me sleep so much but at first I had to take it with melatonin until they got my dosage right which may take a little while. The only problem I had was the grogginess in the morning which is common"

Marial236 November 28, 2016

For Insomnia: "It has been a life saver for me and my insomnia. I've tried other medications before like Ambien but with my anxiety, it was not effective in helping me fall asleep. I've been using Trazodone for years now without any complications. For me, it works instantly or up to the most 10 minutes, depending on my dosage. In the days that I don't have because I'm waiting on my refill, I never get to sleep when I want/need to."

Sweno November 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "Took 50mg to help me sleep. Woke up after about 4 hours of sleep. Heartbeat fast and thumping, thinking about anything and everything. Couldn't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. The day after I felt amped, jittery and like I was in a fog. Took for two nights, don't plan on taking again. Need some sleep. This drug may work well for you, it's just not for me. I recalled trying this medication a few years ago, had the same results then."

Surfcat November 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have suffered from insomnia for years since going through menopause. I used to have to have a couple glasses of wine to fall asleep -- without that I would stay up all night reading -- trying to get tired -- and wind up finishing an entire book. I have been taking this medication for about a month and it's working as prescribed for me. I get drowsy after 30 minutes or so and sleep through the night. I wake up energized and ready to go. I hope it continues to perform as desired. I think I can agree with the dreams -- no nightmares, just dreams which I remember to some degree. I sleep so good that I don't move unless my dog does.... LOL"

EileenPM November 8, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been taking 100MG every night (about the same time 8:30 pm) for about a month and it works like a charm every time. I am finally able to sleep through the night (with the occasional trip to the bathroom) and I love my dreams - like being the star in an exciting movie. For me, I wake up around 5:00 am most days and feel great! I'm hoping to enjoy this for as long as the Doctors allow me to."

JDSGUAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

For Insomnia: "6 years after becoming abstinent from illicit narcotics including opiates I still had not learned to sleep. I managed to learn how to fall asleep sometimes but could not stay asleep. I was prescribed 150mg Trazadone as a safe option for someone with history of substance misuse. Put simply it works for sleeping, has no recreational use potential, and after 7 months no need to up the dose. In fact I reduced it to 75 mg very quickly as it reduced some early side effects such as blurred vision and groggy feeling. Have noticed a small drop in general energy but also a drop in anxiety. Sleeping 1-3 hrs a night created a kind of nervous energy. Ideally I would prefer to not take medication however this works and is safe for me."

Raould Duke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "Nasty nightmares while taking this drug and not that helpful in helping me sleep. I am off this drug now and happy to be..................."

loelle November 7, 2016