User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

Headache
3.2

Summary of Trazodone reviews 6.8 838 reviews

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "I work the overnight shift and it's hard for me to sleep. I have suffered from insomnia for a while now though. My doctor prescribed me 50MG. I take one 50MG pill when I get off of work in the morning from an overnight shift and if I do not work then I will take 100MG. The 50MG kept me asleep but didn't get me asleep whereas the 100MG does both. The 50MG works great when you are already tired."

extraminty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Worst drug on market for sleep and I can't get any help"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Trazodone 50mg did nothing for me. I do not take any other meds and needed something to make me go to sleep quickly. I got it 3 months ago and today is only the second pill that I have taken. Both times I stayed wide awake. After reading on here today it seems that you need to take it on daily schedule which I do not want to do. Some days I need to sleep mornings and others evenings. This is not what I need."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking this medication for two weeks. 25mg nightly. It has helped sleep, and improved my anxiety and depression. I am a little tired when first waking. But that passes quickly. I have tried every SSRI made in the past 20 years with terrible side effects. I can't say how happy I am to finally find a medication that works for me"

Anonymous December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have a fair amount of "problems". Insomnia is one. I have MDD, GAD, PTSD. I take lexapro for depression and 1mg. twice a day of xanax. (You'd think I'd sleep from THAT)..NO...I also have SEVERE back/neck issues so I also take percocet 10s 4x day...STILL NO SLEEP. I tried them all...ambien...no...remeron...no. Serequel yes but hated the weight gain and could not function in morning,so my psych Dr said trazadone has been around forever no the effects...BS. It did NOT work AT ALL...was taking 50mg. So Dr said take 100mg...NOTHING but horrible headaches, severe nausea if I didn't eat enough, and once I finally managed to get 2-3hrs sleep it was NOT restful. Dr ALSO didn't tell me that their actually an antidepressant and take 4-6 weeks for maximum results"

Thecarlyg (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've gotten the best sleep of my life on Trazodone. I've struggled with insomnia for as long as I can remember. I also take 100mg of Zoloft for depression, general and social anxiety, and OCD. The only downsides for Trazodone are the fact that it makes you a little drowsy for an hour or so after you wake up and it also can give you really weird dreams. Not nightmares, just strange dreams. I feel very energized after the drowsiness wears off."

manda bunny November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I had been using lorazepam “as needed” to deal with early-morning anxiety/insomnia for about 3 years but worried about tolerance, so wanted to try trazodone, hoping also for help with erections (I’m 68). First night 25 mg did not help with insomnia (in fact made it worse) and caused brief nausea, but ZERO morning anxiety and 2 good erections. Next night insomnia returned to baseline, no nausea or other side effects, and no anxiety, but no more erections. Continued like this for 5 more nights. Then I tried 50 mg for 3 nights. First night insomnia was worse but otherwise the same effects. Next 2 nights saw next-day anxiety return, plus dry mouth, lightheadedness, weakness, and incoordination. Thinking of bailing."

skywheel (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I started taking trazadone 9 year ago. It really worked when I first started using it. I started off with 50 mg. Over the years my tolerance increased. Now my dr has me on 500mg. It no longer helps me sleep through the night. On a good night I’m up every two hours, and on a bad night I just don’t sleep. I never wake up feeling rested. Just hung over and nauseous. I feel like I have a bad hangover. I used to be a dedicated athlete, now I’m sick when I get out of bed in the morning. Most days I can’t train because I haven’t had proper sleep. I’m done with trazadone."

Fins87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This medication did not work for me at all. I still have trouble sleeping and I cannot sleep even with this medication. I am on the 50mg dosage, seems like I need something stronger."

Hello kitty 08 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "While this drug worked in terms of making me tired, I was woken and spent a good portion of the night fighting off sleep paralysis and horrendous nightmares of my kids having died...so for me, the purpose was defeated. Now, this may work for you, so please don't let my experience scare you away. I want to just point out what MAY happen. Good luck, and hopefully, good sleep to all of you."

jend1028 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I wanted a pill to take when traveling to sleep. To test it I took 50 mg at home , when I would normally go to sleep without anything. After a few minutes in bed, I had difficulty swallowing, it was scary. I drank some water and it went away. I did not sleep at all, after 2 hours I took an ambien. I had taken this pill one hour before bed. A week later I took 25mg as prescribed, cut the 50mg pill in half as directed. Took it 1.5 hours before bed, no swallowing problems, but after 2 hours, still awake. took ambien."

bubba12868 November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Can't sleep like a normal person due to a circadian rhythm disorder - without this med I would get one or two hours of broken up sleep a night, total. I would probably be institutionalized or dead if it weren't for this medication. It used to make me feel groggy in the morning but I think I got used to it. I also drink strong black tea and take Adderall, which counter the side-effects almost completely. I'm not 100% functional still, because it does knock me out and leaves me slightly hungover, but it's a small price to pay to sleep mostly like a normal person where I was not sleeping at all. On a good night I get 7-8 hours and wake up once, sometimes not at all. Cutting out coffee has helped tremendously too."

tnetnnba (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Prescribed 150 mg for anxiety and unable to go to sleep. Took 1/2 tablet which was 75 mg. Started stumbling around soon after taking. Spent a sleepless night with the jitters, blurry vision, head felt like it was in a vice. Was 36 hours before I felt back to normal."

Mackaty (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed 100mg of trazadone and it made me feel so sick and dizzy to the point I couldn't function. I couldn't stay on it for more than a week. It didn't help my depression at all."

saige666 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This is the worst! I had traumatic dreams and I already suffer from PTSD and major depression. It took me hours to fall asleep and I had horrible constipation too. I give this an F in my grade book. I’m now on both Seroquel and Zoloft, minus some minor side effects they get A’s."

Depressionjkkjj November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I had terrible gastrointestinal issues with Sertraline and Lexapro, SSRI's, causing me more anxiety then helping. Trazodone does not impact my stomach, and I sleep really well on it, as I was having terrible night time panic attacks, those are gone and stomach is stable."

sfsbmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Trazadone seems to be a good drug for Insommnia and depression..however I am now on 50mgs alternate nights as I have put on a stone with it . I had being on Mitrazepam 7.5mgs prior with 2 stone weight gain..Weight is now almost more depressing than how I was prior"

Sophie 14 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "After a couple of days it helped me stay asleep (I used to wake up after a couple hours of sleep and be up all night). I didn't have bad dreams, but I did have extremely vivid, kinda weird dreams, which took some getting used to. However after a while (3 or 4 months), the effectiveness waned. I started with 50 mg and never went beyond 100mg."

Scooter1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Minimal positive effect. Erratic performance."

ReservedGene (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been really depressed. I have been having trouble sleeping for years. My old doctor would not give me anything for sleep told me too try over the counter stuff like melatonin etc nothing worked. As I'm an alcoholic it is said that I have a penchant for addiction. This past June 2017 I have been clean for 32 years! I've been seeing my current doctor for 4 years now. I never really pushed the issue with him till yesterday told him about my deep depression and with my RLS I can't sleep at all - I really laid it on the line. He gave a script for trazodone said take 25 mg only comes in 50mg so split it in half took it at 10pm was asleep in 10 or 15 mins slept like a log have to take it earlier was really groggy will cut it down to 12.5 stuff is great for me best sleep I've had in ages"

Bladerunner71 October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am trying 50 mg and after 3 nights it really kicked in and the minimal side effects went away. I take it for sleep. It has been aslight learning curve. Now I take it around 8pm and go to bed around 10pm and that way I fall asleep wonderfully I am hopeful it will keep working .."

A female (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety just under 10 weeks ago. I didn't sleep for 11 nights which made my symptoms unbearable. My brain just wouldn't switch off & I was in a really dark place. I was put on 15mg of mirtazapine, it knocked me out at night but I felt worse, spaced out & suicidal & still did after 5 weeks. My gp swapped me to trazodone....I'm on 200mg & it does nothing to help me sleep. I have to take a 7.5mg zopliclone tablet as well each night just to get some rest. My mood has been a little better since taking trazodone but it's even worse when I can't sleep. My GP isn't happy so far with the results from trazodone, 5 weeks on, so may swap me to fluoxetine after giving it another 2 more weeks."

Katie_w38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "after 18 months of extreme life stress, I could not fall asleep. I was getting mental health counselling and started taking a low dose sertraline (50mg), not sure it helped. I was diagnosed with acute trauma, anxiety, major depression, paranoia and insomnia. My new general practitioner recommended I try Trazodone, as I would only consider a stronger drug like xanax as a last resort, I am very sensitive to medications. She prescribed 50 mg at bedtime. I started with 25mg at bedtime. After just one dose, and a great nights sleep, I woke up the next day feeling like I had just awoken from a very long (18 months+) bad dream. I am at a loss to understand how just one dose of 25mg and one nights sleep had that huge impact. MIRACLE!!!"

sleeping in NY (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "over the last 2 years anxiety, panic attacks, stress levels & insomnia have creeped in with vengeance. At first the Dr put me on mirtazapine which didn't work for me at all -awful side effects, it made me really restless, snappy & totally lowered my mood more then it already was before starting the medication. The Dr then put me on 50mg trazodone which so far I have only been using for 2 weeks. So far for me personally it hasn't worked any sort of wonders, the only way I can describe It is that I don't feel so much all over the place if that makes sense and unfortunately it hasn't helped with my sleep at all. But I'm only on my second week in, hopefully after another few weeks it might start to balance its self out."

Lu2017 (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This worked well for my chronic insomnia for several years, minimal side effects, then I developed tolerance and eventually the doc jacked the dose up to the max (for hospitalized patients!) . I ended up hopelessly dependent on trazodone (as in addicted) and had to go through brutal, prolonged detox. I would guess doses of 150 mg and below are likely not a problem for dependence, but if you need more than that, I would go a different way. And never escalate the dose the way I did. That way madness lies."

RJPKelly (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017