User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 7 reviews 2 medications

Headache 5 reviews 245 medications

3.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 743 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "I took trazodone for a few months without any side affects that was cause a concern. Light grogginess in the morning is natural on any sleep aid. After a few months I got really dry mouth, headaches and the hangover was so intense that it would last all day long. After a few days at work with this dangerous hang over I stopped taking it. I'd rather sleep just a few hours with natural stuff like melatonin then feel completely sick and exhausted at work the following day. I could see this working for someone who doesn't have a schedule. Not fun if you have to be up by a certain time."

Brandon M March 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am 65, male 150 lbs. I've been taking trazadone for probably 15 years. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep . My mind would race. This helps me fall asleep a little and lets me sleep all night. If I wake up to pee I get right back to sleep. No grogginess in the morning all though it does affect my wife that way when she takes it. No side effects. I can still fall asleep without it and no effect if I don't take it for awhile"

EdYeakel (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been taking antidepressants off and on for 20 years. Have tried Prozac, Effexor and cipralex, these all helped me and I was usually on these for a year or two. I haven't taken any medication for the last 5 years. This past year, I have been suffering from insomnia, waking up at around 3 am with racing thoughts and anxiety. Extreme tiredness led to depression, feeling not myself, lack of interest in anything. I finally had enough and spoke to doctor and decided to give Effexor a try again. I lasted 2 days I felt completely out of my head , like an acid trip or something and absolutely no sleep. Awful! I started 50 mg of trazadone 6 days ago and feel like this is exactly what I need. I feel rested and happy again!"

Cobasda March 17, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have Bi-Polar II. Have suffered from depression, hypo-mania, and anxiety. One thing constant was difficulty sleeping. Sometimes night after night. I would just lay there and my mind would race. I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a year. 50mg-100 if needed. I've taken as much as 100, but often 50 then another 25 if needed. It's the best sleep I have ever had. I sleep through the night. If I have to get up for the bathroom, I fall right back to sleep. If I take higher doses I do get some grogginess, occasional blurry vision, and joint ache. But getting good sleep is worth it and helps with my other bi-polar symptoms. These days I've only been taking 50 but it still works and side effects are fewer."

reverb March 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was given trazadone for insomnia. I generally don't fall asleep until early morning! I started this medication 6 months ago and am so thankful for it! I have read a lot of reviews with people saying they are sleeping 14 hours, I personally have not experienced that. I was told to start with 50 mg, didn't seem to do the trick for me. I started taking 100 mg and it works great! I thought I needed something to shut my mind down because it doesn't ever seem to shut off! It definitely doesn't shut the mind down but I have found if I do deep breathing and take the trazadone I'm usually out within 20 minutes! I have never felt dizzy or fatigued like others are saying but medications work different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been taking trazodone for almost 6 years. It is a lifesaver for me. After trying most of the benzos, ambien, restoril, seroquel, melatonin and anything else the docs could throw at me I was offered this. I had went years sleeping 1-2 hours a night with a quick cat nap for a couple of minutes here and there. Started of at 25mg and I'm now at 75mg. Some random grogginess first thing in the morning. Full 8 hours of sleep but aware enough to hear one of the kids if they need me. I believe this med is just like any other. While it may work for some it may be horrible for others. Just as I have failed some and they have worked terrifically for others. It's trial and error and there is no one size fits all when it comes to any medication."

Kraftyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "First day prescribed (50mg) I did sleep for a little over 8 hours, but was groggy with very blurred vision all day. I also had extreme fatigue and body aches. Night 2 I took 25mg and slept for Less than 4 hours, but only had minor grogginess. I'll take 25mg for a few more nights, but might d/c if side effects remain."

Doug XLIX March 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I can imagine with awe how I used to sleep even camping in heat or storms in tents in my 20's - maybe just so exhausted from mountain treks. In 30's, no major issues except occasional job stress or ex's loud snoring. All that changed at 40 when within 5 months my mom died, I got divorced, and I was stabbed up in a street robbery. Sleep is sometimes almost impossible, and if you're reading this site, you are probably looking for answers (for you or a loved one.) I've been prescribed so many things, but Drs repeatedly tell me Traz is the best because it's non-addictive and allows all stages of sleep cycle. It worked great albeit funky dreams, but the next-day grogginess never left, so after many months I quit (absolutely no withdrawals.)"

Adult_onset_insomnia (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "This is my favorite hypnotic drug. I've been suffering from insomnia for at least ten years, with good stretches and bad ones. Through CBT, I've learned to worry less about sleep, but I'm still a light sleeper and would wake up many times during the night, which is a source of anxiety and a burden. Taking 25 mg allows me to sleep trough the night with fewer awakenings and less difficulty falling back to sleep. Trazodone is a tool in your arsenal, but it's not "sleep-in-a-pill": it won't knock you out like the benzos or z-drugs, and that's not a bad thing, because this effect tends to create tolerance and rebound insomnia. Also, allow one week for the effects to stabilize before drawing any conclusion."

LewisTM February 23, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been taking trazodone for almost two months now. I went in to the doctor wanting a solution for insomnia but then quickly realized it was due to my situational depression. I told him that I never wanted to go on pills for depression but then he explained to me that trazodone is an antidepressant but doesn't have the horrible side effects such as prozac. He also told me its not addictive and that its a very old anti depressant so it wouldn't really do much in that category. These pills have made my life so much easier... I used to get anxiety a little bit after I took them but it went away after a week or two. I am prescribed 50 mg but I only take half, it doesn't really knock me out but I can get to bed before 1am which is great."

sleeeep February 22, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am literally so thankful for this medication, even though I don't even take it anymore. I took it for 1.5 years. I had horrible insomnia. I was in my first year of med school, and it was getting to the point where my mind was so cloudy, so sick from the lack of quality sleep that I began nearly failing my tests. I had anhedonia, social anxiety, suicidal dreams, no appetite, etc. The first night I took trazodone, my life changed, and all my symptoms washed away. The moment I began sleeping well on trazodone, my grades shot up, my social anxiety was gone, etc etc. This saved me life."

2nd_yr_med_student February 19, 2017

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "This is one horrible drug. I was given this to help with insomnia as I weened off Clonazepam. I am already on blood pressure medication and the first week I ended up in ER twice with blood pressure reading up near 200, hyperactive, blurred vision, and the shakes. My pressure has continued to roller coaster all over the board for the past two weeks. My regular doctor and cardiologist didn't seem to care so I switched and went to a different health provider. He now has me tapering me off the Tarazadone and is confident my blood pressure will return to normal."

tig1004 February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "They took me off valium after taking it for anxieties from a severe Traumatic brain injury while in the military. Now with there new rules they put me on trazodone for anxiety and wow its the worst thing a person can take. Read about all the dangers about the side effects from ssri's they are killing american vets especially. Please if you read this don't ever take a SSRI. I have done a lot of reading and found that antidepressants are horrible for a person. Even the scientist have said they made a mistake and they are not able to test the serotonin in a persons brain. So basically you are a guinea pig. They don't work and your addiction means no more sex!!! How can the drug companies make such a pill to help people when there the worst drug a person can take."

gothomas1 February 18, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was on 150mg of Trazodone for about a year and a half. My sleep was awesome. A little groggy in the morning, but I got used to that. Unfortunately, after a few months of starting the med, I began having all day severe dizziness. Didn't think that it could be from the Trazodone and ended up seeing two neurologists trying to figure out what was happening. They couldn't find a cause. Out of frustration I quit the Trazodone cold turkey to see if it could be the cause. Sure enough "

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "This has helped me tremendously from day one. I have had trouble sleeping for over 20 years. I was taking the generic for Benadryl for the last twenty years. It would work some of the time but I woke up groggy and some nights I still would not sleep. I was reading the link to people that took Benadryl or the generic for a long period of time and it increasing your risk of Alzheimer's and I panicked. I'm 46 and did not want to chance taking it so I went to the Dr and he prescribed this. What a lifesaver. I sleep every night for at least 7 hours. I wake up refreshed never groggy. I have had no side effects and I have been taking it for 6 months. I wish I would of known about this years ago."

Krissy73 February 16, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I take 50 milligrams of Trazodone and experience hypotension. I am also taking Buspar. Clonazepam, Pepcid, Celexa, and today was prescribed Prednisone. Come to find out, some of these drugs can have bad side effects, especially Trazodone. I may have to change to another sleep aid, but really like the Trazodone. Pepcid is not a drug with good side effects. I think it is what is causing my hypotension. I also have been unsteady on my feet and confusion. go figure, we don't know what we are taking that could make us sicker than what we are, or dead."

Frannie5252 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I was given this medication for sleep. I would often wake up around 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. When you have to get up for work in the morning it made for a rough, long day. When my Dr suggested I try it I was worried about the side effects of feeling groggy the next day, but I was pleasantly surprised! I no longer have trouble waking in the middle of the night and if I do wake up, I usually have no trouble falling back asleep. I wake refreshed with no groggy side effects. I have been taking this medication for probably a year now. Interestingly, I have also found on occasion when I forget to take it, I find that very rarely do I have trouble falling asleep and usually sleep well through the night."

Foxy momma February 13, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am 31 yo fem 5'6, 115 lbs. Prozac helps w/ anxiety but not insomnia. Dr prescribed Traz, start 50mg for few wks, move to 100mg if needed. Last night was 1st 50mg dose. In 30min I was very relaxed & slept really well. Woke up w/ a bad head ache but it's gone now. I believe this Rx will work & will try 25mg for a few nights as body adjusts. For Ambien users, beware that your body isn't only adjusting to new Rx but also you are having withdrawals which can cause sickness, nightmares, sweat, nausea, etc. Maybe slowly reduce Ambien and then try Traz. Just a suggestion, everybody is different & reacts differently. Very good sleep, little s/e that should lessen over the next wk of use. I have tried natural remedies over several years w/ no help."

Noel Dog Walker February 11, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "Some reviewers are commenting Trazodone "does nothing" for their fibromyalgia and only helps them sleep. Yet, insomnia is a HUGE part of the illness! For me, pain is the most crucial factor keeping me from sleeping. However, I find that when I sleep, I have a much better day afterwards-- usually with less pain. [It's a cycle.] I look forward to my quality of life continuing to improve. I have used a much lower dose of Trazodone in the past, and it worked excellently for sleep. This time, I've had to take 150 mgs (plus muscle relaxers sometimes). I need and plan for 10 hours of sleep. Sometimes I wake up feeling great. When I awaken groggy, it wears off after awhile and is usually because I didn't go to bed early enough."

Fibromyalgia/ Insomnia (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I took this medicine for the first time last night and I will never take it again. My doctor told me to take a half of the 100mg before bed. It knocked me out for 14 hours, I woke up and felt in a daze, I was unsteady on my feet, I had THE WORST migraine of my life to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. I felt terribly nauseous. I ended up calling out of work."

Lexbc February 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this medication several years ago for anxiety disorder and depression with serious insomnia. It worked like a charm to help me get a really good night's sleep and saved my sanity. I took it daily for about 2 years.. It really knocked me out, so that if someone woke me in the middle of the night I was pretty much incoherent and felt heavily drugged. I did feel alert and rested in the morning. Worst thing for me was a rare side effect that caused my bone marrow to stop producing white blood cells. A swollen lymph node resulted in a blood test, which showed no wbc's at all. Scared of cancer, but my doc told me to stop taking this drug and the tests afterward were back to normal. I suggest you get blood tests if on this med."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Still wide awake on most nights at 25mg, Took 50 mg one night slept good, but drowsy the following day throughout the evening!"

Anonymous February 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I guess I'm in the group of people that had severe reaction to this medication. The doctor prescribed 100mg trazodone for my "eyes wide open in bed throughout the night" problem. I took caution for the first night and took half a pill or 50mg but after about half an hour my heart stared beating really fast and arrhythmic, my ears and forehead become really hot, etc. it took an hour, two glasses of cold water and trying to breath normally for it to pass. A horrible experience which I won't forget. Next day I went to my doc and yelled angrily that if I had taken full dose it could have killed me and his reaction was something like oops! seems like this med is not for you! Short version : my advice is to take a small dose at first ,if ok then increase "

Max89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Not sure"

Tici 610 January 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I took 25mg of Trazodone one night and will never take it again! I hour after going to sleep I woke up to find the room spinning. My heart was pounding and racing. I was sweating profusely and extremely frightened. It has been two days and I am still having a few dizzy spells. Be very careful if you take this medication and make sure you have someone around that can help you have a bad reaction. Hope this helps."

marogold January 29, 2017