User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 7 reviews 2 medications

Headache 5 reviews 246 medications

3.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 792 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "I had been on Zanex to help me sleep. Usually took it every other night. My new NP wanted me to switch to trazodone. Absolutely no help! In fact, it has made falling asleep 10 times worse. Last night I took it at 9:45. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:45! No more for me!"

Party Cake (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "About an hour after taking it, I feel very drowsy and able to sleep for a couple hours, maybe 3-4 hours but it also made me have strange dreams and I'd wake up extremely hungry, having to get up out of bed to eat in the middle of the night. Not worth it, in my opinion. Going back to taking Melatonin."

AB92 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Been on Trazadone for 2 months for insomnia and traumatic nightmares associated with PTSD and depression. Helps me somewhat in falling asleep, but I still can't stay asleep. Wake up repeatedly during the night with awful nightmares. When I wake up the next morning (11 hours after taking 50mg) I am unsteady on my feet, sometimes fall. Exhausted all day. Feeling more depressed and despairing (also taking fluoxetine 40mg)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Who's bright idea was to make this pill asymmetrical?? I can't even break the damn thing in half. And with its weird shape, it never fails to get painfully stuck in the back of your throat."

Lololomeowsie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "So I suffer from depression, OCD and anxiety.. I have been on sertraline (Zoloft) which has helped with everything but hasn't helped with all the anxiety (evening and morning anxiety.. I have problems turning my mind off at night).. I also have had sleeping issues for years and my zoloft made it worse. My Primary Care Physician prescribed Trazadone to take before bed. I sleep so well when I take it, but I have to take it early enough or I can't wake up in the morning. It knocks me out and I do get a restful sleep but lasts in my body for a good 10 hours.. So I have to be aware of when I am taking it at night. If it is too late then I don't take it.. Thus I don't get a restful sleep, but at least I'm not late to work. Overall I recommend it."

Jewella (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am on many medications for anxiety and depression. I have struggled with sleeping as long as I can remember. Not only could I not fall asleep but I also could not stay asleep. I found myself unable to focus, not putting my best foot forward, and falling asleep in my morning classes. When my doctor put me on trazodone my life flipped around. I was a happier person. I currently take 100mg every night before bed. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. While I do believe that sometimes it may cause me to be tired in the morning it was well worth the trade off. I hope this can help someone in my past situation."

54926 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 50mg Trazodone for sleep issues and have found it actually preventing me from getting to sleep. I have a feeling of being "wired", have weird dreams when I finally get to sleep (but not for long periods) and have a generally drugged feeling in the morning when getting up. I have discontinued using it and notified my doctor."

DXT (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Traz 50mg for insomnia. I broke it in half and then in half again, so I took about 12.5 mg. It worked wonders for sleep! The only issue is crazy dreams, however it is worth it to get good Quality sleep. I also am not taking it every night. In the past I tried 50mg and it caused me to feel terrible, and did not help with sleep either because of that. 12.5 mg seems perfect for me. I am sleepy in the morning but that wears off after a couple of hours. Then I have more energy than I have had in years!"

Magg2017 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This is my experience with trazodone (everyone is different). I had auditory hallucinations like music was playing in my head when no radio was going. I was on 100 mg and I couldn't fall asleep at night at all on it, it actually made me hyper in a sedated way, so I was sleepy but full of energy. And very hung over the next day. Flu like symptoms, excessive sweating and increased anxiety. No motivation to do anything, just felt like a zombie. I start myself weaning off tonight, I'm so ready to be off of the med. Not right for me!"

Gachick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "Trazodone was prescribed to me to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. I take 50mg each night as needed before bed. This medication makes me sleepy within 15 minutes of taking it and I'm usually asleep in 30 minutes. However, in the mornings it's been very hard for me to wake up because I feel the medication really effects me and keeps me still feeling sleepy throughout the day. But I'm overall happy with the results and would recommend this to anyone having insomnia or anxiety before bedtime."

H022695 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I am able fall asleep within a half hour and stay asleep at least seven hours. Prior to taking Trazadone I would wake up every two hours so it has allowed me to finally sleep after months of insomnia . Cons : I have new anxiety , sweating during the day , awful short term memory that is worsening , tremors and amnesia ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Dry mouth"

LorieAnn1967 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Hi. I am diagnosed with MDD, GAD panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, and borderline personality. I currently take Prozac/Fluoxetine 20mg a day, Klonopin/Clonazepam 1mg twice a day. I have always had trouble sleeping due to my conditions, especially anxiety. I have tried ambien, seroquel, remeron and Restoril. I got prescribed trazodone when I went to rehab for Heroin. I'm now 1 1/2 years clean, and trazodone has been a miracle. I take 100mg of it at bedtime, and it makes very relaxed and sleepy. I sleep for 6-8 hours, it boosts my Prozac to work even better, and it gives me back my sex drive. Only cons are it's a little rough starting it, and it gives you dry sinuses. I would really recommend to any insomniac who also has depression/anxiety."

Mentally interesting (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Trazodone has been very effective in helping me fall asleep. I go to sleep approximately one-half hour after taking it. I have had no side effects that I am aware of."

drgill (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was on 50 mg of trazodone for almost 2 years in addition to Lexapro. It worked for putting me to sleep, however I am positive it was slowly making my depression worse. It started with just feeling down and tired in the morning, to eventually turning me into a suicidal zombie for most of the day. I was scared that my depression had worsened, and that I would not be able to handle it. Work, family, everything had gotten very difficult to handle. I noticed that it was the worst in the morning, and finally put two and two together and decided to quit the trazodone. Within a few days, my condition GREATLY improved. Beware of the medication, and any antidepressant for that matter."

green72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Absolutely made me in agony in my joints, I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis and fybromylia and after taking trazodone I couldn't walk or lift my arms and was screaming out in pain"

Mandy65 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had been having horrible anxiety and couldn't sleep. I would sleep for an hour and my brain would race with a to-do list. Since I already was on medication for depression my Dr prescribed Trazodone. The first day was hell. Woke up several time during the night, head pounded the next day, and I was on a fog all day. I wanted to stop but tried it again after talking to my Dr. I slept better the second night but still woke up with a headache. I didn't have the fog the next day. By the third day I was fine. Sleeping like a normal person and able to function during the day. Found out I was getting the headache and the foggy feeling because I was not allowing myself enough time to sleep."

MrsRoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I have severe anxiety and, as a result, I have constant intrusive thoughts, mainly as I try to sleep. I take anywhere from 50-100 mg every night with absolutely no side effects and it provides an amazing night's sleep for me. There's been occasions where I'll skip a dose or two and jump back on it with no ill effect. The only thing I regret is not trying this amazing drug years ago."

Walnutt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I've been on trazadone for 8 years now. I love it because it is an excellent sleep aid that's not a narcotic plus it is an anti-depressant. Trazadone is a lifesaver. I was a full blown insomniac on Xanax for sleep. But I got tired of the side effects, like waking up 17 hours later still out of it an feeling depressed from it an hung over. Then I found out it's a depressant on your system. Not an anti depressant like I needed. So my Dr changed me to trazadone an my life has been better ever since. I'm on 100mg at night an I sleep like a normal person should. Thank God for trazadone, I would be suffering with depression an insomnia with out it. I'm grateful for it. An I strongly recommend it. best of luck!!!"

Insomniacfree June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I suffer from anxiety/depression and recently started taking Zoloft. I was having sleep issues prior and even worse sleep issues after taking Zoloft. Been on just about all the sleep meds there are out there except for Trazadone. The doc prescribed it and the first several nights my sleep was rocky and I'd get up in the morning with a pounding head ache and some dizziness and confusion. I stayed the course for a couple weeks and I do have to say it works great! I was on 50mg for a week and the doc told me to increase to 100mg after a week. I never had to do that and now I only need about 25mg for it to take effect and allow me to sleep. I believe a lot of people lose patience cause I'm guilty of it. I would recommend staying on the course."

Jbolt202 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Dr prescribed this for my insomnia. Took 50 mg last night, felt drowsy and was hopeful I would sleep. Kept waking up every hour or so, then falling back asleep. Woke up with a horrible headache, felt disoriented, dizzy, and like I was really badly hungover. Won't be trying trazodone again - ever!"

Psychodiva (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Absolutely did not work for me. Slept for a short time at 50 MG (lowest dose) & anything above that gave me a terrible headache the following morning. I tried it in lieu of Dalmane & a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I'm newly on Cymbalta (still at 30mg) and experiencing insomnia. Doctor put me on Trazodone (50-100) to help the sleep issues. Last night, I took one 50mg Trazodone. Felt sleepy within 30 minutes, but not enough to sleep. Doc had said I could use 0.5-1mg Ativan with it. So I took 0.5 and did fall asleep after another hour. However, I was up off and on all night!! I have to get up early for work, so couldn't take any more meds over the night. Tonight I'm going to take 100mg of the Trazodone and pray it works. But I have doubts. This is the second sleep med she's prescribed that hasn't worked. First was Belsomra. Useless. I'll post how tonight goes."

Ctmom101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "With all due respect, don't listen to the naysayers. Its a great medication. No loading period, you can come off at anytime and it is only mildly addicting when taken in high doses for long periods. You will sleep, it will keep your anxiety and depression in check and it will allow you to be yourself again. People who tried it for a night and complain in reviews have not given it a chance. I don't understand, do they prefer to have their brain chemistry altered forever by paxil? lol Trazadone is a SARI and a minor one at that. I don't want to be a slave to paxil and the like forever, hence traz is a much better option."

Zilo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I came down with an awful virus I soon could only sleep 5 hrs per night. Trazodone worked well the 1st two nights but I needed a kick start (ativan or Benadryl) thereafter but it definitely kept me sleeping through the night. It's difficult to tell which of my symptoms were the virus and which were Trazodone but the faint headaches and prominent dizzines have definitely been the Trazodone. I also noticed I was becoming more forgetful and loosing my ability to focus. Anxiety may or may not be attributed to this drug also. The final straw, I was watching a concert online but when I paused the video, I kept hearing the music. It was a pretty effective scare. I'm done with this drug!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017