User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

"I was on Trazodone for insomnia, and it did what it was supposed to: I would fall asleep within 30 minutes, and I would stay asleep through the night. The issue I had with it is that I would sleep for way longer than I'd want to, and I would no feel well rested after I woke up. I would have difficulty concentrating and I my mind would feel like it was slowed down, and that would last about 4-5 hours after I woke up (and I'd already have slept for about 12 hours, so that's about half of a normal waking day that I'd feel I lost to Trazodone). If I absolutely needed to sleep, Trazodone was helpful, but also a game of russian roulette: Would it be better to sleep but not feel rested, and feel sluggish for most of the day, or risk not sleeping?"

Geoff2234 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have dealt with insomnia since 2005. I tried Benadryl, all the sleep aids you can name but it wasn't until I realized I don't sleep normal. I was feeling horrible on 2-3 hours of sleep at night. My doctor recommended Trazodone, which I had never heard of. On this medicine I know I'll sleep and feel good the next day. It did take a week or so to get over the "hangover" feeling but for someone like myself that does have severe depression and insomnia I recommend this medication"

Sleeping like my dogs (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone was prescribed to me to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. I take 50mg each night as needed before bed. This medication makes me sleepy within 15 minutes of taking it and I'm usually asleep in 30 minutes. However, in the mornings it's been very hard for me to wake up because I feel the medication really effects me and keeps me still feeling sleepy throughout the day. But I'm overall happy with the results and would recommend this to anyone having insomnia or anxiety before bedtime."

H022695 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am able fall asleep within a half hour and stay asleep at least seven hours. Prior to taking Trazadone I would wake up every two hours so it has allowed me to finally sleep after months of insomnia . Cons : I have new anxiety , sweating during the day , awful short term memory that is worsening , tremors and amnesia ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe anxiety and, as a result, I have constant intrusive thoughts, mainly as I try to sleep. I take anywhere from 50-100 mg every night with absolutely no side effects and it provides an amazing night's sleep for me. There's been occasions where I'll skip a dose or two and jump back on it with no ill effect. The only thing I regret is not trying this amazing drug years ago."

Walnutt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on trazadone for 8 years now. I love it because it is an excellent sleep aid that's not a narcotic plus it is an anti-depressant. Trazadone is a lifesaver. I was a full blown insomniac on Xanax for sleep. But I got tired of the side effects, like waking up 17 hours later still out of it an feeling depressed from it an hung over. Then I found out it's a depressant on your system. Not an anti depressant like I needed. So my Dr changed me to trazadone an my life has been better ever since. I'm on 100mg at night an I sleep like a normal person should. Thank God for trazadone, I would be suffering with depression an insomnia with out it. I'm grateful for it. An I strongly recommend it. best of luck!!!"

Insomniacfree June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking 50mg about 4 years ago as I had a hard time going to and staying asleep. It worked, for me. About 15 mins later I'm asleep, and I wake up restful and not grouchy. I use to be a grouch in the morning. After about a year I felt it was not as effective as in the beginning so my doc upped it to 100mg and I've never looked back. Love me some trazodone!"

sleepy\restful (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is an excellent sleep aider, I'd compare them to temazepam for sleep, less dodgy and it does really help you sleep, I'm on 150mg a night and it does knock me out, I love this medication and I'd recommend this over benzo's ad zopiclone any day."

Barnzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Love trazodone. I was taking Ambein to help me sleep but I would wake up after 2 or 3 hours. My doctor prescribed trazodone and I sleep 7 to 9 hours a night...plus it has helped my anxiety. Totally recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medication for sleep. I would often wake up around 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. When you have to get up for work in the morning it made for a rough, long day. When my Dr suggested I try it I was worried about the side effects of feeling groggy the next day, but I was pleasantly surprised! I no longer have trouble waking in the middle of the night and if I do wake up, I usually have no trouble falling back asleep. I wake refreshed with no groggy side effects. I have been taking this medication for probably a year now. Interestingly, I have also found on occasion when I forget to take it, I find that very rarely do I have trouble falling asleep and usually sleep well through the night."

Foxy momma February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone was prescribed to me as a sedation for sleep at night. I had a very bad night the first night. I had an extreme temperature and excessive sweating. However, this happened to me only in the first night. After that it worked fine. Weirdly I had taken it before and had discontinued due to lack of insurance. The very first time I took it I had the exact same reaction only on the first night. Vivid dreams, extreme sweat, elevated temperature. I felt very feverish. After that, nothing out of the ordinary except being able to sleep."

Dallys (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was started on Trazodone 50 mg 1 week ago for insomnia and have experienced joint and muscle pain and weakness. I feel like I have been to the gym every morning! Anyone else experience this and if so did it go away?"

Vdawn (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had insomnia since I was 12, I started taking this when I was 14 and have been sleeping wellish since. My body adjusts to it very easily though, so my doctor had to keep going up on my dose, now I just take my 100 to 150 MG of trazodone at night and a melatonin if i need it. Works pretty well. I don't have any nightmares but my dreams are strange."

Katija (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pure pharmeceutical trash. I gave the last 29 (of 30) pills to my doc and told her to keep it. Worst night of my life...jittery, heart racing and trembling. ...."

Cody111811 October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Committed myself to an inpatient detox for my alcoholism. I was given 50mg of trazadone each night and within 15-20 mins i was sleeping very well. Then they upped the dose to 100mg. That was too much for me. Woke up dizzy in the middle of the night but returned to bed and when i awoke i felt just fine. When you take this for the first time make sure your on your way to bed. Im 6'3" and 180lbs. This works for me instead of using different otc drugs. Hope this helps somebody."

Tfcfefwf October 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "Unless I take this at bedtime, I have difficulty falling asleep as well as staying asleep. I am on the 50mg tabs, but usually only need to take half of the pill. Works VERY quickly, so It needs to be taken when in bed,and ready to sleep! It is just as effective now as it was many, many years ago when first prescribed, no need to adjust the dosage. It allows me to sleep later in the morning, and I no longer wake up every 2 hours. I take several other antidepressants during the day, but suffer from chronic pain, a good night's sleep makes a huge difference in my comfort level with no side effects either. I wake up feeling refreshed, ready to take on the day! I highly suggest you try this medication, if Dr suggests it."

Spikey'sMommy (taken for 10 years or more) September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 1/2 to 2 tablets of 50 mg Trazodone to help with my disturbed sleep and it has been a miracle!! I do not know how long it has been that I have slept at least 7 hours straight without waking up several times during the night. I also have anxiety and depression and have been prescribed Effexor. The combination of these two drugs have helped tremendously thus far. It has only been a week and I have had very mild side effects of headache, nausea and dry mouth. Those are slowly dissipating and becoming less and less. I used to wake up with this worry feeling in the pit of my stomach, in a head fog, and fatigued. So far those feelings have gone away. My personal problems haven't gone away but I am able to handle them."

anxlesstingop (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the prescription 2 years ago, I have for a long time 10 + years had a very irregular sleep pattern as my wife will say. So I don't like taking pills at all. So it took almost 18 months for me the try it. It works good. I actually get a restful nights sleep. I cut them in half so I can get them to last longer and I wake rather refreshed. I did take a whole one a while ago and was grocery after I woke. I think I went back to sleep and woke at 10 am. I usually go to bed before 10 pm. I am 55 300 5 10 . have thyroid problems. or no Thyroid any more. New hip last year New rotter cuff in 6 to 8 weeks I hope. I think it works great. I only use it one or two times a week. Hope this helps"

ackmac (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given trazodone by mistake in the hospital after hysterectomy. I normally take clonazepam for sleep and asked for that but was given trazodone instead. One of the worst nights of my life. I was anxious and unable to sleep and whenever I closed my eyes I had visions of gory dismembered body parts that would not go away (like a vision of hell or something, crazy). It went on all night long, never experienced that before. I only took it that one night in the hospital (didn't find out til later it was the wrong drug). Evil, evil drug. At least for me."

Wide Awake13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking trazadone for about 3 years now and I can't sleep with out it. Before taking the drug I would have "night terrors" that would last up to 3 hours about 4 times a week. These "terrors" would include crying, back arching, muscle tension, and join pain. I have not have a "terror" since I started trazadone. The best choice I ever made with my medication."

Erin-Alanna (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desyrel Dividose (trazodone): "I have used this medication for about 8 years and without it I don't sleep. I wake every night without fail and it takes me hours to get back to sleep. This medication can be taken before bed or in the middle of the night as it's out of your system in about 4 hours. I become very relaxed in about 15 minutes upon taking it and able to rest peacefully."

Buvs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took for some years. It is addictive as you need for sleep. After a while you wake up at night with heart razing. I stopped and finally I need only 1/2 .5 clonopine. And even forget. It was hard to stop that drug. But if you need for other reasons it may work for others. I think it's bad. Thank God I'm off of it!! You need to withdraw slowly."

La mer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2016

"Night mares."

Glowy (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can only get a few hrs of sleep w/o it but I get a good nite sleep when I'm taking regularly"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the longest time I have always little sleep. After being prescribed Sertraline and trazodone to help me sleep. I have noticed a big improvement in my sleeping habits. I get 9 hours of sleep and I actually stay asleep. The downside for me is that I feel tired and groggy throughout the day. Hopefully I will find a new way to not feel this way in which I will share. I take 100mg before I go to sleep"

Florencia3773 April 16, 2016