User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

"I got the prescription 2 years ago, I have for a long time 10 + years had a very irregular sleep pattern as my wife will say. So I don't like taking pills at all. So it took almost 18 months for me the try it. It works good. I actually get a restful nights sleep. I cut them in half so I can get them to last longer and I wake rather refreshed. I did take a whole one a while ago and was grocery after I woke. I think I went back to sleep and woke at 10 am. I usually go to bed before 10 pm. I am 55 300 5 10 . have thyroid problems. or no Thyroid any more. New hip last year New rotter cuff in 6 to 8 weeks I hope. I think it works great. I only use it one or two times a week. Hope this helps"

ackmac (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"I was given trazodone by mistake in the hospital after hysterectomy. I normally take clonazepam for sleep and asked for that but was given trazodone instead. One of the worst nights of my life. I was anxious and unable to sleep and whenever I closed my eyes I had visions of gory dismembered body parts that would not go away (like a vision of hell or something, crazy). It went on all night long, never experienced that before. I only took it that one night in the hospital (didn't find out til later it was the wrong drug). Evil, evil drug. At least for me."

Wide Awake13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"I have been taking trazadone for about 3 years now and I can't sleep with out it. Before taking the drug I would have "night terrors" that would last up to 3 hours about 4 times a week. These "terrors" would include crying, back arching, muscle tension, and join pain. I have not have a "terror" since I started trazadone. The best choice I ever made with my medication."

Erin-Alanna (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

Desyrel Dividose (trazodone): "I have used this medication for about 8 years and without it I don't sleep. I wake every night without fail and it takes me hours to get back to sleep. This medication can be taken before bed or in the middle of the night as it's out of your system in about 4 hours. I become very relaxed in about 15 minutes upon taking it and able to rest peacefully."

Buvs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

"I took for some years. It is addictive as you need for sleep. After a while you wake up at night with heart razing. I stopped and finally I need only 1/2 .5 clonopine. And even forget. It was hard to stop that drug. But if you need for other reasons it may work for others. I think it's bad. Thank God I'm off of it!! You need to withdraw slowly."

La mer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2016

"Night mares."

Glowy (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"I can only get a few hrs of sleep w/o it but I get a good nite sleep when I'm taking regularly"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

"For the longest time I have always little sleep. After being prescribed Sertraline and trazodone to help me sleep. I have noticed a big improvement in my sleeping habits. I get 9 hours of sleep and I actually stay asleep. The downside for me is that I feel tired and groggy throughout the day. Hopefully I will find a new way to not feel this way in which I will share. I take 100mg before I go to sleep"

Florencia3773 April 16, 2016

"I have taken 100mg for at least 10 yrs for sleep. It works great for me, a slight groggy feeling in the morning, but well worth it to have a full night sleep. I fall asleep soon after taking it. I have at times sleep walk. I will find out in the morning when I find stuff moved around, dusting supplies in the washer machine, and tools from the garage in the kitchen. But I have slept walked since I was a little girl. And it seems to only happen when I am worried about something. This drug has been around for a long time and the benefit out ways side affects for me."

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I fell asleep fast ,but woke very groggy ,all day grogginess ,with head swelling , I reported it to my dr, I was told to keep taking it, I told her no ."

willa4d March 3, 2016

"I love TraZadone. I have always had a problem with anxiety and problems sleeping. My PA put me on 50mg at least a year ago. It was a miracle. I'm able to fall asleep and STAY asleep. Something I have struggled with all my life. I'm also a very light sleeper. But the real miracle came when it helped with my anxiety/depression. I'm a new person. I just recently asked for an increase. My PA was surprised I hadn't asked earlier. She upped the dose to 100 mg and I sleep like a baby. It's been a wonder drug for me."

MandySur March 2, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My husband is in a nursing home with dementia. He was was given this drug as a sleep aid. He is now very confused and his balance is poor. Cannot stand on his own or even with his walker. Falling almost every night. Our family are very concerned about his deterioration since taking this drug. The doctors response was to INCREASE the dosage!!! We told him NO and insisted on removing this drug from his medication. Since stopping this drug, we can see improvement in his condition. It will take time to get it out of his system. I would not recommend this drug to anyone - especially seniors."

Jenyus (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"I use Trazodone for sleep - it is non-addictive and it's been around a long time so I have higher trust for it. Trazodone gave me the worst side effects for about 5-6 days. Skin crawling, literally felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. But the 6th day I woke up and that feeling was gone. 50mg seems to be my magic number, I fall asleep every night and no hangover. But if I for some reason get less than 7-8h sleep I can feel the skin crawly again, but manageable."

KatMy2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

"My doctor put me on trazodone amd temazapan. I took the 1st at bed. Time did fine and took temazapam in the middle of the night. she gave me 30 mg which was way too much for me. Most of time I was unconscious falling down every day and when I got up. The nurse put me down to 15 mg and I did much better and took it at bedtime still had problems. I wrecked my car 3 times. Insurance wouldn't believe me and I lost that. I was in the hospital and sent to rehab and while there totally stopped the trazapam. I don't fall any more TG but can't find.any insurance and i drive as little as possible. I do have COPD and have enough of. Problems with that."

conblond2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

"Started taking it to help me sleep when I was going through intense anxiety. For that purpose, it worked very well. However, there was a side effect of feeling generally panicky all the time. It became so bad over time that I could not leave my house--or even step outside the door. I had to quit cold turkey after a month because this was so debilitating. After four days of being off of it, I was able to walk around my neighborhood again. But 3 months later, I still have trouble driving far distances. This drug almost killed me. Also, while I was on it, I had incredible anxiety--like my skin was crawling. Again, this ceased within a day or two of stopping this medication. All in all, it was a horror experience for me."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

"Hate this medication i have been on ambien in the past but where I'm from Nebraska it is not considered a controlled substance but in Louisiana I guess it is. I slept great on ambien I've been put on 100 mg of trazadone it does nothing for me I think I slept a total of 3 hrs last nite. That and the fact I've come off pain pills for my back cuz my new "dr " doesnt believe in prescribing narcotics I'm constantly in pain and now that I moved here and spent over a week in hospital I've also been on dr release from work to find out I got terminated from my new job plus now I guess I have congenital heart failure and lung disease it definitely hasn't been a good experience here overall tho I love the area as do my kids, but if I don't find a job quickly who knows what will happen"

abbenco December 7, 2015

"I've been taking trazadone for almost three years at different doses. I started out at 50mg, then100 and now take 150mgs. I%u2019ve taken some kind of sleeping pill on and off for 18 years but recently became dependent on them because of family deaths, relationship issues and post natal depression. Trazodone works for me but it gives me horrible nightmares so I have to wake up two to three times a night. I feel groggy the next day and my memory has declined. I also experience extreme anxiety. I don%u2019t know if trazodone is the cause. All in all, I would rather deal with the side effects than live with insomnia."

Kanyoni (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2015

"Helps me sleep"

Kak Vegas November 7, 2015

"I was first prescribed 50 mg to start, but quickly cut my dose to 25 mg because I didn't like the side effects of foggy head in the morning. That dose worked for me and I got the most consistent sleep I'd had for a long time. But I was still only getting 5-6 hours of solid sleep. So I eventually bumped up to 50 mg and just force myself to take it ~8.5 hours before I want to get up, so I can get 8 hours of sleep... and in this way I don't feel groggy in the morning. Highly recommend allowing yourself a good amount of sleep... not just 5-6 hours, more like 7.5 - 9 hours a night."

HealthyHead (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2015

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"works great for me to get to sleep, however I still can't sleep through the night"

johndcravens (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2015

"After taking Ambien for a few years, it wasn't working at all. Trazodone has been very effective. I no longer dread trying to go to sleep. It may take a few days for it to work so don't give up on it. I can't believe the change it has been in my life. Cutting a 50mg in half. A cup of coffee in morning and no groggy feeling. It may be just from getting a decent night's sleep but I have more energy during the day! Last night I sleep through a terrible storm...I recommend giving it a few days to work, especially if switching from Ambien overnight. Only thing I'm not sure about is it says to take with food...who eats right before going to bed? I've tried to eat a few crackers with it, but most nights I forget."

stlsleeplest (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My head spins with overactive thoughts at bedtime causing insomnia. Ambien worked, but changed to Trazadone 100mg. I fell asleep quickly, but woke up feeling dizzy, as if hungover. The feeling lasted throughout the day. I didn't like the lingering feeling, so I halved the dose, 50 mgs. Same side affects, felt drowsy and dizzy in the morning. I will go back to using Benedryl, as it didn't give me the Zombie feeling like Trazadone. (Xanax worked for me, but I didn't want to get addicted to it, so I don't take it.)"

58&meh July 29, 2015

"I just started this medication a few months ago to get off klonopin. It gives me insomnia as soon as I pop one. When I finally get sleep it's bad dreams I don't feel rested when I wake up. I've never felt shittier."

Yo sup (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"Had similar experiences as many have commented on - Primary reason for use was horrid insomnia lasting over 3> months (If I snuck in two hours a night it was a blessing.) Tried all the usual stuff and some older tricks my Dr. had.... Nothing. Biggest problem was I would doze off and have beyond horrible flash-backs from 5 combat tours and a chopper crash. Shrink says my mental status is not an issue, fit and sound. Just something that's gonna be trial and error. Lunesta was the worst as the flashbacks were nightly and freaked my girlfriend out to the point the relationship failed. Have NO idea why this works for several friends (civilian) and I think it's a placebo. Switched exercise hours, diet. Just did not work for me.."

Fried Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"This really helps me sleep, and knowing there is little to no withdrawal, I have been able to stop easily when back into work and social life again and was truly tired, and mind unstressed. I recently went back on it at 100 mg which was effective in the past. Ambien erased my memory and that impacted my job, but this doesn't. In low dosage I was told it has no antidepressant characteristics (low is up to 100 / 150) so people shouldn't fear about reverse effects if non depressed. Very good & safe drug. Yes, as reviews say, dreams can be incredibly vivid - but I've never had bad nightmares - more like bizzare and interesting dreams that felt real. Maybe nightmares are caused from stress/bad childhood/and just everyday worries."

LCGA (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next