User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 110 ratings for the treatment of Sedation. 61% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone

I can finally sleep! · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2014

“My mind is going 1,000 mph all the time - especially when I try to sleep. My doctor prescribed 50 mg pills and told me to split the tablet in half and take at night before I go to bed. WOW! What a great relief! I CAN SLEEP without the side effects of Ambien!(I took Ambien for a short time and never remembered the things I did!). I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep and not feel drowsy when you wake up. Instead of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, I can usually get 6-7 now!”

jag62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

“After I went off HRT after five years, I was experiencing horrible hot flashes at night. I'd wake up at least every two hours, sometimes every hour, with one, and would have a terrible time getting back to sleep. Night after night, I'd sleep miserably, and I tried every "natural" remedy under the sun. I had a friend of the same age suggest trazodone, and when I saw my gyn a couple of weeks later, she actually suggested it before I even mentioned it. I take 50 mg before bedtime, and many nights am not awoken at all by hot flashes. I also have zero side effects from it. It's been a game-changer for me. I do everything I can to stay off prescription meds, but I made this exception.”

Sometimes Sleepless May 12, 2015

“I have been taking Trazodone now for over 8 years. I originally started at 50 mgs. then went up to 100 and 150. I now take 200 only because I feel I need the added boost after all these years. It works wonderfully, I sleep restfully and feel refreshed in the morning. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night but the medication puts me back to sleep right away. Nightmares is something that you sometimes experience with Trazodone. I take this medication because I once went for an entire month without sleep and I couldn't cope well. The doctor in emergency who recommended this drug saved my life. I slept like a baby the first time I took the medication and never looked back since. I'll probably be on it forever.”

Tfcfefwf October 14, 2016

“Committed myself to an inpatient detox for my alcoholism. I was given 50mg of trazadone each night and within 15-20 mins i was sleeping very well. Then they upped the dose to 100mg. That was too much for me. Woke up dizzy in the middle of the night but returned to bed and when i awoke i felt just fine. When you take this for the first time make sure your on your way to bed. Im 6'3" and 180lbs. This works for me instead of using different otc drugs. Hope this helps somebody.”

Spikey'sMommy · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2016

Desyrel (trazodone): “Unless I take this at bedtime, I have difficulty falling asleep as well as staying asleep. I am on the 50mg tabs, but usually only need to take half of the pill. Works VERY quickly, so It needs to be taken when in bed,and ready to sleep! It is just as effective now as it was many, many years ago when first prescribed, no need to adjust the dosage. It allows me to sleep later in the morning, and I no longer wake up every 2 hours. I take several other antidepressants during the day, but suffer from chronic pain, a good night's sleep makes a huge difference in my comfort level with no side effects either. I wake up feeling refreshed, ready to take on the day! I highly suggest you try this medication, if Dr suggests it.”

MandySur March 2, 2016

“I love TraZadone. I have always had a problem with anxiety and problems sleeping. My PA put me on 50mg at least a year ago. It was a miracle. I'm able to fall asleep and STAY asleep. Something I have struggled with all my life. I'm also a very light sleeper. But the real miracle came when it helped with my anxiety/depression. I'm a new person. I just recently asked for an increase. My PA was surprised I hadn't asked earlier. She upped the dose to 100 mg and I sleep like a baby. It's been a wonder drug for me.”

HealthyHead · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 13, 2015

“I was first prescribed 50 mg to start, but quickly cut my dose to 25 mg because I didn't like the side effects of foggy head in the morning. That dose worked for me and I got the most consistent sleep I'd had for a long time. But I was still only getting 5-6 hours of solid sleep. So I eventually bumped up to 50 mg and just force myself to take it ~8.5 hours before I want to get up, so I can get 8 hours of sleep... and in this way I don't feel groggy in the morning. Highly recommend allowing yourself a good amount of sleep... not just 5-6 hours, more like 7.5 - 9 hours a night.”

Tool1691 · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2015

“I went to rehab for Xanax detox and they prescribe me trazadone 100mg to take before bedtime. Due to the side effect of coming off benzos and not being able to sleep this medication does me so much wonders. I take it and within 15 min I'm ready to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. I understand some other people have different opinions but it really did help me and I'm thankful for my psychiatrist prescribing it to me.”

2018awalker · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2021

“I have been on trazodone 50mg for 2 weeks now for insomnia. With trazodone I can fall asleep within 20-30 minutes but I still wake up after only sleeping about 2 hours. I do fall back to sleep easier with this med but I continue waking up several times during the night. The last couple nights I have had terrible night sweats and bad dream that I jerk awake from. I get up in the morning feeling very tired and light head, dizzy with heart palpitations. I took my blood pressure this morning just to check it out and it was 98/63 with pulse of 96. I will not continue with this med because for 1 it doesn't work for me and another it has too many side affects I can't handle.”

DementiaFighter1957 July 4, 2014

“I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps.”

JDC88 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2015

“I started taking Trazodone, about 3-4 yrs ago, to help me get to sleep and therefore stay asleep. I started with 50mg, but am now on 100mgs. It has been a blessing, and the fact that it is a non-narcotic is important too as I have addiction and depression problems. I Take it right before bed, read for about 15-20min and I am zonked out. ”

anxlesstingop · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2016

“I was prescribed 1/2 to 2 tablets of 50 mg Trazodone to help with my disturbed sleep and it has been a miracle!! I do not know how long it has been that I have slept at least 7 hours straight without waking up several times during the night. I also have anxiety and depression and have been prescribed Effexor. The combination of these two drugs have helped tremendously thus far. It has only been a week and I have had very mild side effects of headache, nausea and dry mouth. Those are slowly dissipating and becoming less and less. I used to wake up with this worry feeling in the pit of my stomach, in a head fog, and fatigued. So far those feelings have gone away. My personal problems haven't gone away but I am able to handle them.”

Sarah · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 29, 2019

“I’ve had problems falling asleep and staying asleep for years, but after being put on this medication I’ve never slept better. It really works wonders for me. It really relaxes you and helps you sleep better!”

OhNoooRLM · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2014

“I was recently put on Trazodone 100mg and I did, in fact, fall asleep fairly quickly. The worst part of this experience were the weird nightmares I have every night; the fact that when I awake in the mornings, I feel terrible and it looks as though I have Narcolepsy. After about 1 hour from getting up in the morning, I am pretty much in a vegetative state: eyes half closed, hallucinations, can't wake up completely. This goes on throughout each day. My family thinks I am lying when I tell them I am no longer popping pain pills to the point of overdose. That all stopped October 2008. My psychiatrist cut my dose back to 50mg but I am still having the same unwanted symptoms. So far, I have NO short-term memory, unrested, more depressed. ”

Bobby boy May 9, 2008

Desyrel (trazodone): “I take a 50 mg Desyrel at night, about 10 min before I'm ready to go to sleep. I have been on it for 5 years, with no side effects. I used to not be able to stay asleep. Now, I sleep like a baby. I also take Zoloft in conjunction with Trazodone. ”

LCGA · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2015

“This really helps me sleep, and knowing there is little to no withdrawal, I have been able to stop easily when back into work and social life again and was truly tired, and mind unstressed. I recently went back on it at 100 mg which was effective in the past. Ambien erased my memory and that impacted my job, but this doesn't. In low dosage I was told it has no antidepressant characteristics (low is up to 100 / 150) so people shouldn't fear about reverse effects if non depressed. Very good & safe drug. Yes, as reviews say, dreams can be incredibly vivid - but I've never had bad nightmares - more like bizzare and interesting dreams that felt real. Maybe nightmares are caused from stress/bad childhood/and just everyday worries.”

Foxy momma February 13, 2017

“I was given this medication for sleep. I would often wake up around 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. When you have to get up for work in the morning it made for a rough, long day. When my Dr suggested I try it I was worried about the side effects of feeling groggy the next day, but I was pleasantly surprised! I no longer have trouble waking in the middle of the night and if I do wake up, I usually have no trouble falling back asleep. I wake refreshed with no groggy side effects. I have been taking this medication for probably a year now. Interestingly, I have also found on occasion when I forget to take it, I find that very rarely do I have trouble falling asleep and usually sleep well through the night.”

EX · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2021

“Started taking this after asking my doc to switch from Fluoxetine (I started having bladder issues and was waking up every couple of hours in a night). The fluoxetine was supposed to help with my insomnia, but with my sleep cycle being repeatedly disrupted the insomnia didn’t seem so bad anymore. I’m currently on 50mg of Trazodone and boy does it kick in real quick; makes me super drowsy so I always take it before I get in bed. It’s nice because I’m knocked out cold for the entire night but the drawback(s) is/are the groggy, hungover feeling in the morning as well as making me feel a lack of motivation to do much during the day.”

stlsleeplest · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2015

“After taking Ambien for a few years, it wasn't working at all. Trazodone has been very effective. I no longer dread trying to go to sleep. It may take a few days for it to work so don't give up on it. I can't believe the change it has been in my life. Cutting a 50mg in half. A cup of coffee in morning and no groggy feeling. It may be just from getting a decent night's sleep but I have more energy during the day! Last night I sleep through a terrible storm...I recommend giving it a few days to work, especially if switching from Ambien overnight. Only thing I'm not sure about is it says to take with food...who eats right before going to bed? I've tried to eat a few crackers with it, but most nights I forget.”

Anonymous May 2, 2012

“I love trazodone. I am taking trazodone for sleep. It helps me sleep 8 hours. I also like it because it helps with depression and anxiety. The medicine calms me throughout the night. I have no anxiety and depression since I started taking it. I will continue to take it as long as I can.”

Palmareal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2014

“I take 100 to 150mg at night and an additional 50mg if I wake up during the night. I have Bipolar and ADHD. I stopped all other psychotropic medicines because of side effects and I'm following the "Grain Brain" Book Plan. No sugar/carbs/gluten(reduced by 60- 80%). Doing fantastically with energy, much reduced depression, reduced impulsivity and better decision making and ability to do housework. LOVE IT. I did experience nausea and depression when reducing dosage.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2013

Desyrel (trazodone): “I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun.”

Buvs · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 2, 2016

Desyrel Dividose (trazodone): “I have used this medication for about 8 years and without it I don't sleep. I wake every night without fail and it takes me hours to get back to sleep. This medication can be taken before bed or in the middle of the night as it's out of your system in about 4 hours. I become very relaxed in about 15 minutes upon taking it and able to rest peacefully.”

Anonymous December 7, 2009

“I'm a retired U.S.Marine and have been having trouble with sleeplessness and nightmares from service related issues. My doctor first prescribed Amitriptyline (Elavil) and I became an angry monster. She switched me to Trazodone, 25mg at bedtime and it has greatly helped with sleep and the depression. It has also helped with controlling my emotions. I have also been alcohol free for over 8 months now with no intentions of drinking again. It's helped me with several issues and I would highly recommend you inquire with your doctor about trying it if you're having any of the problems I have experienced.”

BabsyJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 22, 2019

“A doctor prescribed this for me several years ago, calling it "a nice little drug to have on hand in case you ever need to sleep." Back then, my anxiety and depression was a lot worse and it would take me two pills to get to sleep. Now, just taking half of one helps me sleep through the night. I'm not up at 3:00 a.m. for the fastest bathroom trip ever. I can sleep through things, have less wild and manic dreams, and wake up more rested. I'm a fan. Many times I do not take it, I'm going through some medical issues now and realized again how helpful it was to me.”

Learn more about Sedation