User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Sedation

"Love trazodone. I was taking Ambein to help me sleep but I would wake up after 2 or 3 hours. My doctor prescribed trazodone and I sleep 7 to 9 hours a night...plus it has helped my anxiety. Totally recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this medication for sleep. I would often wake up around 2:00 in the morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. When you have to get up for work in the morning it made for a rough, long day. When my Dr suggested I try it I was worried about the side effects of feeling groggy the next day, but I was pleasantly surprised! I no longer have trouble waking in the middle of the night and if I do wake up, I usually have no trouble falling back asleep. I wake refreshed with no groggy side effects. I have been taking this medication for probably a year now. Interestingly, I have also found on occasion when I forget to take it, I find that very rarely do I have trouble falling asleep and usually sleep well through the night."

Foxy momma February 13, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Trazodone was prescribed to me as a sedation for sleep at night. I had a very bad night the first night. I had an extreme temperature and excessive sweating. However, this happened to me only in the first night. After that it worked fine. Weirdly I had taken it before and had discontinued due to lack of insurance. The very first time I took it I had the exact same reaction only on the first night. Vivid dreams, extreme sweat, elevated temperature. I felt very feverish. After that, nothing out of the ordinary except being able to sleep."

Dallys (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on Trazodone 50 mg 1 week ago for insomnia and have experienced joint and muscle pain and weakness. I feel like I have been to the gym every morning! Anyone else experience this and if so did it go away?"

Vdawn (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had insomnia since I was 12, I started taking this when I was 14 and have been sleeping wellish since. My body adjusts to it very easily though, so my doctor had to keep going up on my dose, now I just take my 100 to 150 MG of trazodone at night and a melatonin if i need it. Works pretty well. I don't have any nightmares but my dreams are strange."

Katija (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pure pharmeceutical trash. I gave the last 29 (of 30) pills to my doc and told her to keep it. Worst night of my life...jittery, heart racing and trembling. ...."

Cody111811 October 27, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Committed myself to an inpatient detox for my alcoholism. I was given 50mg of trazadone each night and within 15-20 mins i was sleeping very well. Then they upped the dose to 100mg. That was too much for me. Woke up dizzy in the middle of the night but returned to bed and when i awoke i felt just fine. When you take this for the first time make sure your on your way to bed. Im 6'3" and 180lbs. This works for me instead of using different otc drugs. Hope this helps somebody."

Tfcfefwf October 14, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Desyrel (trazodone): "Unless I take this at bedtime, I have difficulty falling asleep as well as staying asleep. I am on the 50mg tabs, but usually only need to take half of the pill. Works VERY quickly, so It needs to be taken when in bed,and ready to sleep! It is just as effective now as it was many, many years ago when first prescribed, no need to adjust the dosage. It allows me to sleep later in the morning, and I no longer wake up every 2 hours. I take several other antidepressants during the day, but suffer from chronic pain, a good night's sleep makes a huge difference in my comfort level with no side effects either. I wake up feeling refreshed, ready to take on the day! I highly suggest you try this medication, if Dr suggests it."

Spikey'sMommy (taken for 10 years or more) September 16, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 1/2 to 2 tablets of 50 mg Trazodone to help with my disturbed sleep and it has been a miracle!! I do not know how long it has been that I have slept at least 7 hours straight without waking up several times during the night. I also have anxiety and depression and have been prescribed Effexor. The combination of these two drugs have helped tremendously thus far. It has only been a week and I have had very mild side effects of headache, nausea and dry mouth. Those are slowly dissipating and becoming less and less. I used to wake up with this worry feeling in the pit of my stomach, in a head fog, and fatigued. So far those feelings have gone away. My personal problems haven't gone away but I am able to handle them."

anxlesstingop (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the prescription 2 years ago, I have for a long time 10 + years had a very irregular sleep pattern as my wife will say. So I don't like taking pills at all. So it took almost 18 months for me the try it. It works good. I actually get a restful nights sleep. I cut them in half so I can get them to last longer and I wake rather refreshed. I did take a whole one a while ago and was grocery after I woke. I think I went back to sleep and woke at 10 am. I usually go to bed before 10 pm. I am 55 300 5 10 . have thyroid problems. or no Thyroid any more. New hip last year New rotter cuff in 6 to 8 weeks I hope. I think it works great. I only use it one or two times a week. Hope this helps"

ackmac (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given trazodone by mistake in the hospital after hysterectomy. I normally take clonazepam for sleep and asked for that but was given trazodone instead. One of the worst nights of my life. I was anxious and unable to sleep and whenever I closed my eyes I had visions of gory dismembered body parts that would not go away (like a vision of hell or something, crazy). It went on all night long, never experienced that before. I only took it that one night in the hospital (didn't find out til later it was the wrong drug). Evil, evil drug. At least for me."

Wide Awake13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking trazadone for about 3 years now and I can't sleep with out it. Before taking the drug I would have "night terrors" that would last up to 3 hours about 4 times a week. These "terrors" would include crying, back arching, muscle tension, and join pain. I have not have a "terror" since I started trazadone. The best choice I ever made with my medication."

Erin-Alanna (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Desyrel Dividose (trazodone): "I have used this medication for about 8 years and without it I don't sleep. I wake every night without fail and it takes me hours to get back to sleep. This medication can be taken before bed or in the middle of the night as it's out of your system in about 4 hours. I become very relaxed in about 15 minutes upon taking it and able to rest peacefully."

Buvs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took for some years. It is addictive as you need for sleep. After a while you wake up at night with heart razing. I stopped and finally I need only 1/2 .5 clonopine. And even forget. It was hard to stop that drug. But if you need for other reasons it may work for others. I think it's bad. Thank God I'm off of it!! You need to withdraw slowly."

La mer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Night mares."

Glowy (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can only get a few hrs of sleep w/o it but I get a good nite sleep when I'm taking regularly"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the longest time I have always little sleep. After being prescribed Sertraline and trazodone to help me sleep. I have noticed a big improvement in my sleeping habits. I get 9 hours of sleep and I actually stay asleep. The downside for me is that I feel tired and groggy throughout the day. Hopefully I will find a new way to not feel this way in which I will share. I take 100mg before I go to sleep"

Florencia3773 April 16, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken 100mg for at least 10 yrs for sleep. It works great for me, a slight groggy feeling in the morning, but well worth it to have a full night sleep. I fall asleep soon after taking it. I have at times sleep walk. I will find out in the morning when I find stuff moved around, dusting supplies in the washer machine, and tools from the garage in the kitchen. But I have slept walked since I was a little girl. And it seems to only happen when I am worried about something. This drug has been around for a long time and the benefit out ways side affects for me."

Anonymous April 5, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I fell asleep fast ,but woke very groggy ,all day grogginess ,with head swelling , I reported it to my dr, I was told to keep taking it, I told her no ."

willa4d March 3, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love TraZadone. I have always had a problem with anxiety and problems sleeping. My PA put me on 50mg at least a year ago. It was a miracle. I'm able to fall asleep and STAY asleep. Something I have struggled with all my life. I'm also a very light sleeper. But the real miracle came when it helped with my anxiety/depression. I'm a new person. I just recently asked for an increase. My PA was surprised I hadn't asked earlier. She upped the dose to 100 mg and I sleep like a baby. It's been a wonder drug for me."

MandySur March 2, 2016

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband is in a nursing home with dementia. He was was given this drug as a sleep aid. He is now very confused and his balance is poor. Cannot stand on his own or even with his walker. Falling almost every night. Our family are very concerned about his deterioration since taking this drug. The doctors response was to INCREASE the dosage!!! We told him NO and insisted on removing this drug from his medication. Since stopping this drug, we can see improvement in his condition. It will take time to get it out of his system. I would not recommend this drug to anyone - especially seniors."

Jenyus (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I use Trazodone for sleep - it is non-addictive and it's been around a long time so I have higher trust for it. Trazodone gave me the worst side effects for about 5-6 days. Skin crawling, literally felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. But the 6th day I woke up and that feeling was gone. 50mg seems to be my magic number, I fall asleep every night and no hangover. But if I for some reason get less than 7-8h sleep I can feel the skin crawly again, but manageable."

KatMy2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor put me on trazodone amd temazapan. I took the 1st at bed. Time did fine and took temazapam in the middle of the night. she gave me 30 mg which was way too much for me. Most of time I was unconscious falling down every day and when I got up. The nurse put me down to 15 mg and I did much better and took it at bedtime still had problems. I wrecked my car 3 times. Insurance wouldn't believe me and I lost that. I was in the hospital and sent to rehab and while there totally stopped the trazapam. I don't fall any more TG but can't find.any insurance and i drive as little as possible. I do have COPD and have enough of. Problems with that."

conblond2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking it to help me sleep when I was going through intense anxiety. For that purpose, it worked very well. However, there was a side effect of feeling generally panicky all the time. It became so bad over time that I could not leave my house--or even step outside the door. I had to quit cold turkey after a month because this was so debilitating. After four days of being off of it, I was able to walk around my neighborhood again. But 3 months later, I still have trouble driving far distances. This drug almost killed me. Also, while I was on it, I had incredible anxiety--like my skin was crawling. Again, this ceased within a day or two of stopping this medication. All in all, it was a horror experience for me."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hate this medication i have been on ambien in the past but where I'm from Nebraska it is not considered a controlled substance but in Louisiana I guess it is. I slept great on ambien I've been put on 100 mg of trazadone it does nothing for me I think I slept a total of 3 hrs last nite. That and the fact I've come off pain pills for my back cuz my new "dr " doesnt believe in prescribing narcotics I'm constantly in pain and now that I moved here and spent over a week in hospital I've also been on dr release from work to find out I got terminated from my new job plus now I guess I have congenital heart failure and lung disease it definitely hasn't been a good experience here overall tho I love the area as do my kids, but if I don't find a job quickly who knows what will happen"

abbenco December 7, 2015