Trazodone use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Trazodone: Desyrel, Oleptro, Desyrel Dividose
Trazodone Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Limited information indicates that trazodone levels in milk are low and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months or when doses of 100 mg or less are used at bedtime for sleep.
Maternal Levels. Six women who were 3 to 8 months postpartum were given 50 mg of trazodone orally and milk samples were taken for 30 hours after administration. Peak trazodone milk levels averaging about 110 mcg/L occurred 2 hours after the dose and milk levels declined with an average half-life of 7.5 hours (range 5.2 to 12.3 hours). The authors estimated that an exclusively breastfed infant would receive a dose of 0.005 mg/kg with this maternal dose or 0.65% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage. However, this study did not measure the active metabolite of trazodone in milk.
One woman who was 6.5 weeks postpartum and taking trazodone 75 mg daily had her milk measured at an unreported time after her dose. The trazaodone concentration in her milk was 40 mcg/L.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
One infant whose mother took trazodone 200 mg daily for 12 weeks starting at 4 weeks postpartum was followed up at 12 months of age. No adverse effects on growth and development were found.
One woman was 6.5 weeks postpartum and taking trazodone 75 mg, venlafaxine 75 mg and quetiapine 75 mg daily before conception, during pregnancy and during breastfeeding. Her breastfed infant's development was tested at 12 months of age with the Bayley Scales. Measurements were within normal limits on the mental, psychomotor and behavior scales.
One exclusively breastfed 15-week-old infant was breastfed during maternal therapy with trazodone 100 mg daily and venlafaxine 150 mg daily. No adverse reactions were reported by the mother or found in the medical records.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
A nonpregnant woman with depression was treated with citalopram 20 mg daily, then 40 mg daily. Trazodone 50 mg at bedtime was added to treat insomnia and then increased to 100 mg at bedtime. One week later the patient noticed milk leakage from her breasts, which stained her clothing. Her serum prolactin was somewhat elevated, but no other abnormalities were noted. The trazodone dosage was tapered and then discontinued. One month later, the galactorrhea had resolved and her serum prolactin was in the normal range.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Verbeeck RK, Ross SG, McKenna EA. Excretion of trazodone in breast milk. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1986;22:367-70. PMID: 3768252
2. Misri S, Corral M, Wardrop AA, Kendrick K. Quetiapine augmentation in lactation: a series of case reports. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006;26:508-11. PMID: 16974194
3. Misri S, Sivertz K. Tricyclic drugs in pregnancy and lactation: a preliminary report. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1991;21:157-71. PMID: 1894455
4. Newport DJ, Ritchie JC, Knight B et al. Venlafaxine in human breast milk and nursing infant plasma: determination of exposure. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:1304-10. PMID: 19607765
5. Arslan FC, Uysal EK, Ozkorumak E et al. Trazodone induced galactorrhea: A case report. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2015;37: 373.e1-2. PMID: 25920951
CAS Registry Number
Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about trazodone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 750 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: phenylpiperazine antidepressants