User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I have been really depressed. I have been having trouble sleeping for years. My old doctor would not give me anything for sleep told me too try over the counter stuff like melatonin etc nothing worked. As I'm an alcoholic it is said that I have a penchant for addiction. This past June 2017 I have been clean for 32 years! I've been seeing my current doctor for 4 years now. I never really pushed the issue with him till yesterday told him about my deep depression and with my RLS I can't sleep at all - I really laid it on the line. He gave a script for trazodone said take 25 mg only comes in 50mg so split it in half took it at 10pm was asleep in 10 or 15 mins slept like a log have to take it earlier was really groggy will cut it down to 12.5 stuff is great for me best sleep I've had in ages"

Bladerunner71 October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely made me in agony in my joints, I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis and fybromylia and after taking trazodone I couldn't walk or lift my arms and was screaming out in pain"

Mandy65 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking trazodone 4/5 years ago after trying Prozac, Zoloft, Quetiapine and other a few other medications with no luck. It worked for me straight away. I did notice some weight loss for the first few months but I put this down to my increased mood and therefore lack of emotional eating - it was probably also because it lowered my anxiety and I felt like I had a clear mind for the first time in a long time. I took 100mg at night because of the sedating affect. I did feel groggy in the mornings but a coffee helps. I also noticed more frequent dreams but other than that I had no side effects! I'm only giving this an 8 because sadly now the medication no longer has an effect on me."

Carlssss April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed trazodone at 20 years old for depression I took it for 21 years I was also an alcoholic for 21 years my blood pressure was so high the doctor had to change my medication I was petrified as I'd relied on trazodone for so long within 3 weeks taking a new anti depressant metrazapine I'd become the teetotaler that was over 3 years ago can't stand smell of alcohol I was a chronic alcoholic all them years 4 residential rehabilitations even embarrassed as I am to admit it but 4 pregnancys didn't stop my dependency I say it had the opposite effect on me why a GP didn't pick up on it I really don't know"

Mpttinds (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine my doctors have prescribed for me is almost a miracle drug I hope that my new psychiatrist keeps giving me Trazodone Hydrochloride I have been taking this med for ten years and it works at about 400 to 600mg a day"

joccon (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on 40 mg of celexa and 100 mg of trazadone to help me since my one month old son passed away due to SIDS. Well he was at daycare I wasn't able to function at all but now I can get up and work and function again"

Brixtonsmommy16 October 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking trazadone 50mg for anxiety and an anti anxiety med. I was given 150mg for depression but it had little effect but did not have a negative reaction like prozac etc after many years of deliberating with my doctor 450mg daily works for severe depression for me. Once you get used to the drowsiness it works great. I feel much better."

Thatatypicalbloke (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Trazodone to help with PTSD symptoms and depression. This helps REALLY well in assisting me in going to sleep. I used to stay up pacing, cleaning...etc instead of sleeping. I was on 50mg, and then put on 100mg which not only helps with sleeping, but helps with my anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts."

Shelbay (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A GP prescribed me this med to try shift what he called 'major depressive disorder', despite the fact I was diagnosed with Bipolar. I don't know why he prescribed this med, as a lot of places/people have said it's rarely used for depression anymore. This med made me tired immediately after I took it, but it did nothing for my depression, and unfortunately when my GP raised it to 200mg it caused me to go manic. He lowered the dose back to 100mg; even though it did nothing to help my mood I was left taking this med for almost a year. When I was finally told I could stop taking it I had to wean off it very slowly, as without it I was no longer able to sleep. I ended up sleeping badly for several several months , which caused a manic episode"

WhichMed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WOW, I wish I had these years ago. I have major depression and took to drinking heavily and almost died from it ... I could not sleep. I ended up in a mental hospital for my drinking and major depression 9 months ago. The hospital provided 50MG tablets for me and I have never slept so well, I would have NEVER ended up in the asylum if I had access to Trazodone years ago. I am also on Cymbalta daytime, but Trazodone puts me OUT at night, every night! I'm one of those folks that do not respond well to most prescription medications, this is the best thing that ever happened to me. I can clearly say, Trazodone saved my life. No more need for drinking or any other sleeping aid. I have been on top of life since I started taking in January"

CliffyP September 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take it for sleep quality. Its not because it makes me tired, but trazodone, (always taken in conjunction with paroxetine) makes me feel rested when I wake up. Before I started taking trazodone, I used to feel tired, lethargic, and a bit queezy no matter how long I slept."

pattiekat (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok. First off... Just an observation. Apparently, mental illness must occur more frequently with those of higher intelligence. Now. To review. Been on 100 mg for a week. Feeling like I'm on cocaine. Must fire/block the same receptors. A difficulty? I think not. Was on Prozac for 15 yrs off and on. Messed with my libido so badly, I truly believe it was a real factor in the breakdown of my marriage. So far, so good. I love this medicine."

foolhardysage (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oleptro (trazodone): "I like it. I took original Trazodone and it made me way too drowsy but as this is slow release I take it in the morning and feel calm all day. I'm actually using it for Panic and obsessive compulsive disorder and depression."

johnwithanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helps me sleep and not have running thoughts or wake up panicked."

CindersPaws August 23, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "I am currently on the trazodone, and while it is not as effective as the Seroquel in terms of a sleep aid, it works well when augmented with Zoloft for depression."

legakris (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I couldn't sleep at all and that's taking 2 pills"

IBS (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "This medication doesn't help depression.It also kept me up at night. I couldn't sleep all night. I went to the doctor to get a new anti-depressant."

quackers 2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2014