User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone

Island Girl · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

“My doctor prescribed this since Prozac and brintellix wiped me out sexually. Apart from the issue with libido, Prozac suited me perfectly, not so however this drug Trazodone. I was told to take 150mg..which in the light of these reviews seems extreme considering my sensitivity to drugs and my body weight, being petite. As instructed I took it five hours before bedtime. I then slept like a zombie for ten hours and woke feeling groggy with super spaced out eyes the next morning. I felt heavy, drugged and seemed to have lost my sense of balance. It took till lunchtime to feel vaguely normal again. While I do not doubt this would prevent the panic attacks as you would be too out of it to panic, whatever the issue, nuclear attack, invasion of the body snatchers, aliens abducting your children. I had no intention of suffering such extreme side effects. Consequently, I did not take again. The search goes on for the perfect drug. It most definitely is not this one.”

Shaggin · Taken for 10 years or more May 15, 2020

“I've been taking trazadone for many years for depression, anxiety and it also helps to minimize or eliminate thought disturbances and of course it helps you sleep. So this medication does a lot and overall I will say that it has been working for me. However I do not like taking this med as it sedates you so much its hard to wake up out of it. This is the one medication I wish I could wean myself off of. Sometimes I skip a dose or two but cannot get too far from it as I will start having symptoms of depression and anxiety again. So I'm pretty much dependent on it.”

Cat April 30, 2020

“Doc prescribed me Trazodone for Depression. I started with 25mg because I react very sensitive to meds and the first night I had arrythmia, anxiety, cold sweat and insomnia. These side effects disappeared after 2 weeks except for occasional arrythmia. I slept well in the beginning, but I was also extremely tired during the day. I felt a bit more emotionally stable so I started taking 50mg which was a horrible decision. I had severe sexual dysfunction, wasn't able to feel anything during sex, I slept all day, felt extremely weak, my heart was pounding and I felt like I had to faint a lot. It did nothing for my depression, I felt worse than before! I was crying a lot, and when I wasn't crying I didn't feel anything at all. After a few weeks on 50mg I stopped taking it because I couldn't handle the side effects. Overall I was on Trazodone for 2,5 months. I had withdrawal symptoms like Insomnia, extreme anxiety, suicidal thoughts and others. I can't recommend this medication to anyone.”

Alc123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2020

“I switched to trazodone because I was barely sleeping while on a previous antidepressant, it helped with sleep but I had nightmares (which I hadn’t had in years). After a couple months on trazodone I became angry all the time and impulsive...So I had to get off of it. It also slightly helped with the depression.”

Lister · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2020

“Pliva 433 pill 50 mg has no effect. Should be tested to see how much of the active ingredient is contained.”

Avila March 14, 2020

“Was on trazodone for a year for severe anxiety and mild depression,50 mg for 2 months then upped to 100mg. Went off them a month ago. They helped with the anxiety a lot, associated with therapy ( I was agoraphobic and now only have very occasional easily manageable spikes of anxiety ) but made my energy levels drop and made me feel like a zombie. I was also sleeping too much (9+ hours a night still feeling tired in the morning, nearly impossible to wake up most days). I went from mild to severe depression as the complete lack of energy prevented me from doing anything. Was relying on energy drinks/caffeine/supplements to get through the day. I stopped cold turkey as I couldn't stand them anymore, the withdrawals are truly horrible during the first week : hot flashes, high anxiety, irritability etc. Feel a million times better now. Only rating 3 because of significant help with anxiety.”

Georgina · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

“Trazodone is absolutely great for me. I'm taking 100 mg of it every night due to terrible insomnia and persisting depression. Sertraline was only making me more miserable, but trazodone worked from day 1. I sleep a lot better and have much less trouble with bad thoughts and bad mood. Some people say it makes them feel groggy, but it's just perfect for me. This medicine is not used very often as an antidepressant, but it does worth trying it if other medicines don't fit you.”

Lion · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

“6 hours of good sleep.”

Catfairy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2019

“I was prescribed 50mg Trazadone in conjunction with 150mg wellbutrin as the wellbutrin alone wasn't sufficiently lifting my mood, and I couldn't tolerate the 300mg wellbutrin. I took it for several months, it definitely helps for sleep, didn't have trouble sleeping once while on it- which is unusual for me. But I felt awful in the mornings, foggy and headachy, like I'd been drinking a lot. I do drink a glass of wine a night, so that may exacerbate the side effects- I did feel a little better when I stopped drinking for a while. Eventually I got tired of feeling garbage all day, and have gone off it. I've been off two days, had trouble sleeping last night but can't believe how much better I feel! This is the first time in months I've woken up with a clear head. My depression is under control at the moment so will continue with just the wellbutrin.”

Eggo · Taken for 10 years or more September 20, 2019

“Was on this drug trazodone for 11 years, 50mg only. In April this year I began to feel depressed and GP put me on another Anti Depressant, Sertraline. He advised me to wean myself off Trazodone over a 2 or 3 week period. Never experienced anything like it. Awful hot and cold sweats, trembling and worst of all , Insomnia. 6 months have passed but the insomnia is almost as bad as ever, despite my taking strong sleeping tablets. My advice is to think very carefully before using this drug, as it has really messed up my life big time.”

21855000906992 · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“I have insomnia and depression. I’ve tried a lot of antidepressants and I found I’m also having trouble sleeping and struggling with depression. I’m 63 years old. My doctor prescribed trazodone 50 mg and I’ve only had it one night so far. I haven’t had a good night sleep in a long time and I actually feel human today. I’m very sensitive to meds so I had to cut the 50 mg and I’m going to try 25 mg tonight because I felt a bit groggy this morning but I am sensitive to meds. I really am hopeful for this to work. A bit soon to have an opinion but I haven’t felt this good in a long time. Also told it’s not habit forming. I was sleepy 15 minutes after I took it. And oh yes make sure there’s food in your stomach. Made me feel a bit nauseous so I had a couple soda crackers. Hope this helps some people I’ve seen a lot of positive comments made. Have a great day. ❤️ ”

Rosie · Taken for 10 years or more August 18, 2019

“I suffer from anxiety and depression after trying many other prescribed medicines I finally found trazodaone which is the one that works for me”

Worry Wort · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“It’s a good drug for anxious depression and great for sleep. I couldn’t tolerate but just 10mg Prozac because of agitation, but now 50mg trazodzone nightly and 10mg Prozac morning gives me smooth depression relief.”

Shifty22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

“I take this as a mood enhancer / sleep aid alongside my antidepressant, Zoloft. Within an hour of taking this medication, I NEED to sleep. If I wake up within 3 hours of taking it, I get extremely dizzy and begin to stumble around. If I do manage to sleep after waking up, I wake up with a terrible headache and brain fog. If I don’t wake up after taking this medication, I sleep very soundly but still wake up a bit disoriented (brain fog).”

Recovering addict June 11, 2019

“I started trazodone 150mg to treat anxiety & depression 9 weeks ago. I’m still feeling awful & have bad anxiety, terrible mood swings, emotional, I get a horrible feeling after I’ve taken it like I’m on drugs, it definitely helps me sleep, TOTALLY KNOCKS ME OUT! So I take it just before bed. Mornings awful like having a terrible hangover & I’m in recovery 15 months free from booze & cocaine. My doc advised me to increase to 300mg I tried that for 2 days side affects were awful: hideous diarrhoea & panicky. I’m now on week 10 & this isn’t subsiding. I’ve been told to drop back down to 150mg. Will this improve? Anyone experienced similar, pushed through and got a different result. I trust my GP but I’m not sure how long I can continue to feel like this. I'm so panicked & awful. All day I feel confused, dizzy, mix my words up, forget everything. I’m also on a reduction from diazepam, that is nearly gone. ”

noodles · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2019

“Trazodone helped me so much, I felt a boost in my confidence, I slept better at nights and my energy levels were so high. I felt so great everyday when I took them, I would always take them 9pm at night, then get tired half an hour after taking them. It definitely helped with sleep. I was ready for the day at 7am. I had so much motivation while on this medication. For anyone that is thinking of starting Trazodone, remember it takes a month to get the full effect. It doesn't start working as soon as you start taking it. I think it does work with sleep right away because it makes you drowsy after taking it.”

Sandy · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2019

“I am a waitress and since I have been taking trazodone I feel I can't remember stuff. I'm tired all the time, dry mouth, weird dreams. I would rather be depressed.”

kaboom - FL · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2019

“I have finished my first month of 150mg Trazodone after a heroin addiction to help with depression and insomnia. It getting up is a lot easier in the mornings, I wasn't able to function due to depression but now things are getting a little bit better, mostly at night is when poop hits the fan for me mentally. I have BPD as well which traz. has 0% effect on, DR's don't really care about my health they just gave it to me because I asked, and I was on this milligram prior to addiction. I think I got hooked on Heroin again because I was off my SARI. Anyways. chin up, this stuff isn't too terrible. I can fall asleep fast and quick and not wanna die all day so thats something.”

Retodd February 17, 2019

“After several years in Law Enforcement and having to save my or my fellow officers lives and killing a violator, I finally reached an all time low and definitely was close to doing something stupid. My family and friends talked me into getting help. I started with a psychologist who was against medicine and thought she could help me with exercises. After 4 months she said that I needed to go to a psychiatrist and see about meds. I did and was put on 2 different meds with one being Trazadone. I went on Venlafaxine and continued with 300 mg of trazadone. After a while on it I was having some issues with waking up. He reduces it to 200 mg and I have not looked back. I sleep through the night after years of getting up to clear the house several times. My nightmares continue but for the most part I do not remember. My wife says I still scream, jump, kick, punch, and cry at night but since I don't remember I am good.”

Yooper · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 27, 2018

“I was prescribed trazodone for depression. I'm on 100 mg. Works for the depression and the bonus is that it helps me fall asleep fast. There is a slight "hangover" feeling in the morning but it disappears with my first cup of coffee.”

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2018

“The first night I used trazodone it made me unbearably dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous. I actually ended up passing out in my kitchen. Every time I would sit up from a lying down position I felt like I was going to pass out, and honestly the whole experience really scared me. I let the fear take over for quite a while and the medication sat in my bedside table untouched for about four months, maybe longer. Until I reached a point where I felt like I had no choice but to give it another try. I have struggled with severe insomnia, depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have refused to take medication out of fear of addiction and the lengthy list of side effects associated with most of them. I have been taking trazodone every other night to every night for about three weeks now and I have never slept better. I feel generally happier and my anxiety is better controlled. Definitely worth a try for those who can relate.”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2018

“Trazodone is a life saver. I was horribly depressed and had crushing insomnia (I would go to sleep at 10pm and then be wide awake at 2am with my mind racing with dark thoughts) which never went away. I asked (begged) my PCP for a sleep aid and he prescribed Trazodone 50 mg. My entire outlook on life has changed - I can smile, look forward to and enjoy things in life again.”

benhat72 March 1, 2018

“I was prescribed Trazodone for insomnia. I started by splitting a 50mg in two about a half hour before bed. I managed to get "good" sleep for about 3-4 hours before waking up in the middle of the night, so on the 3rd night I took a full tablet and slept like a champ. Within 7 days, I was not only sleeping better but feeling better than I had in years. I went back to my PCP and requested to be kept on Trazodone (I do still take Lamotrigine as well). I'm at 3 weeks (full effectiveness) and could not be happier. My anxiety, depression, paranoia, and exhaustion have all but vanished. Here are some of the side effects I experienced during the first two weeks of being on Trazodone: dizziness, confusion, and mild nausea. All of these have passed. I exercise daily and eat right. No coffee, no tea, and a limited amount of sugar. No pot. Going to bed at the same time every night is also a plus.”

A9S7 January 24, 2018

“I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression for almost 5 years now, (I'm 21) and the first week (on 50mg) was AWFUL. Fast forward to the next week and for the first time in a long time, I started to feel like a human again. Getting out of bed became easier, and my motivation to do my school work came back! I've noticed that sometimes I'll be in a good mood and I'll feel myself get overly happy? Hard to explain, but it's better than having suicidal thoughts on an almost daily basis, am I right? It helped with my anxiety-related insomnia a bit and the amount of anxiety attacks I'd have per day has decreased (but my anxiety is still pretty bad). Thinking of asking my doc to up the dosage?”

robehou · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2018

“I am a Critical Care Nurse. I had a situational depression after beginning my career of taking care of AIDS patients and where 11 of my co workers died within a two year period. My room mate died and I was told to prepare to die. I didn't die but later I developed depression. Nothing worked except Trazadone. After a year taking it I was back to high functioning and went back to graduate school. For me, it was a life saver.”