User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

"I'm on celexa 40 mg and my doctor add trazodone 50 mg, and I feel the difference. I feel a lot better, and happier, sleeping the whole night"

Gelly August 23, 2016

"I took trazodone last night...this morning I woke with an excruciating headache & throwing up. I was extremely dizzy & couldn't focus. I will not be taking this again ever... It feels awful."

Shesoulsweet August 11, 2016

"I started out on a quarter of a 50 mg Trazadone tablet every other night at bedtime. I did this for a week then increased to a quarter tab every night. After two nights of one quarter tablets I started waking with a stuffy nose and a headache. Morning 3, I was in a full blown migraine and had to take zomig. I have attempted this exact process 4 times now with weeks in between (no trazadone) to make sure it is a side effect of the medicine. Now, I am sure Trazadone is causing the headaches and I never have taken more than 1/4."

Ocaladee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

"I went to sleep but the next day I felt awful a headache and my nausea! Never again!"

Curtina July 27, 2016

"I have taken 50mg of Trazodone on two non consecutive nights and have had very severe side effects. Both nights, I recall having an extremely high heart rate, a massive headache caused by sinus pressure, it caused extreme post Nasal drip, and I had trouble swallowing because of the dry mouth. By 430 am on the second night that I tried taking Trazodone I took an Atavan because I was panicking because I could not sleep. Afterwards I felt incredibly dizzy, because the two medications don't mix well together. Tonight I decided I would skip the medication and see if I could sleep without it. It is 1247 am and I'm still awake. I spent a night last week in a sleep disorder lap, but I was unable to sleep there either."

Fed up! June 10, 2016

"I take trazodone to help balance the effects Cymbalta had on my sleep and to help with my depression. My experience has been wonderful, helps me fall asleep and sleep restfully. Together with Cymbalta, Trazodone has completely eradicated my depression."

NatterTatter June 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago although I feel I've had it for 8 years .. For the past 8 years I've woken up miserably tired so tired that it's unbearable and has made my life very difficult.major brain fog..extremely sensitive...lots of anxiety.. This led to depression Although I knock out every night the doctor put me on trazodone to improve my quality of sleep. I started off at 25 mg was groggy for three days ALL day even with coffee so I decided to cut it and am now on 15 mg and today marks 14 days on it..I never wake up during the night..I wake up sleepy but ready to go! Unlike every other morning the past 8 years where I could barely function.. I'm less anxious I feel happier and am extremely thankful."

Lilfunyan86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I was given this drug as a prescription for sleep issues that I was having. At the time I had no known indications of depression or anxiety. It was simply to help with my sleep patterns since I travelled extensively. After taking the drug for a few months I simply stopped because I was on a more regular sleep cycle. Within a week, I was completely incapacidated, diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and exhaustion. I also became terrified of daily activities and was incapable of even showering myself. I have never experienced such a dark space in my life. It wasn't until later that my symptoms were tied to this medicine withdrawal. I am furious about that and now taking another med to recover from this one, and then weened off."

GinoFred February 8, 2016

"It was a negative experience for me at least. I felt sad, depressed , can't sleep, and aggressive toward myself and hate dislike who I am. I don't think my Dr listens to me or maybe it's my fault . I cry at work and so scared I'll loose my job, I'm so scared and anxious and depressed and the medicine makes me feel a lot worse."

Anonymous February 1, 2016

"My pcm prescribed it for hot flashes, because I can't take anything with estrogen, so no HRT for me. I was having 10-12 hot flashes in a 24 hr period. Now I only have 2-3. I must take it at night, because it definitely helps with sleep. I still wake up slightly groggy. And If I have a hot flash it does wake me, but I'm able to go back to sleep. I started with 50mg. But now I take 25. I may try to take it every other night, because I don't like being on medication. But I am pleased with it. It is also an older drug, so any bad side effects should've been discovered by now."

VOR January 29, 2016

"I was put onto Trazadone (started on 50mg then 100mg after 2 weeks) after having 3 months of citralopram which was not working for me. The trazadone has 100% helped my sleeping as I was only sleeping 1-2 hours per night. As for my depression it seems to helped so far, I'm still having episodes lasting 2 days to a week however these are a lot less frequent. Trazadone has helped my anxiety however I do still suffer from bouts of anxiety at least once a week (again better than before the trazadone). Personally I think that trazadone is great for treating sleeping problems, anxiety and depression and hopefully I will see even better results the longer I take it for."

Deb96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

"My upper eyelids seem to swell from this. What is this from?"

Sarahdschultz November 28, 2015

"My Dr. prescribed trazadone for ptsd and depression. I haven't had a good nights sleep due to my mind racing and thinking of my past. I have noticed I've been able to sleep and wake up in a good mood and feel well rested , I've even enrolled in college and doing great in my classes.Looking forward to the future :) I don't have insurance but my provider is paying for my medication."

micaela3723 September 4, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In the beginning, I felt no Difference. After two weeks Or 10 days, I felt the medication working, it help me relax , fall asleep, anxiety And anxious."

Starr0327 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

"I take 50mg Trazodone before bed. It helps me get a full night's sleep and eases my depression during the day. I don't think I'd benefit from taking it first thing in the morning because it's a very sedating drug. I also find Trazodone to be an affective long-term pain killer. Trazodone doesn't belong to any of the common classes of anti-depressant so it doesn't kill my libido like SSRIs and SNRIs tend to do."

Uncle Scooby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wow. A pa prescribed this for me in addition with 150 mgs of Zoloft. It's a life changer. Sometimes i have restless legs and a slight headache but I'll take that over depression and loss of interest any day! I sleep so good and am just generally a happy person. I was prescribed it for sleep but it does much more than that! If you're looking for great restful sleep or even an anti depressant booster...look no further!"

A.L. gunn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

"i have suffered with anxiety and insomina for 15 years..trazadone with mirtazapine has changed my life for the better..i give it a 10 outa 10.."

safeforce February 2, 2015

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've tried several SSRI-class medications over the years starting around age 15...(sertraline, Lexapro, Celexa). All of them gave me uncomfortable side effects...(anorgasmia, RLS, nightmares, inability to sleep). I was never able to take them long enough to get any anti-depressant or anxiolytic effects due to the unbearable side effects. I finally went and got a prescription for Trazodone along with a prescription for Valium around 5 days ago. I started by taking 12.5mg for 4 days. Last night I upped my dose to 25mg. Today is the first time I've woken up and actually felt good. I can fall asleep quickly and easily and my mood has been greatly improved. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone who has not had good experiences with conventional SSRIs."

User518 January 30, 2015

"I am going to start this medication tonight and by reading these reviews I am so hopeful. Thank you to everyone who has posted the good and the bad!"

Maria_75 November 25, 2014

"This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication."

CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Makes me sweat at night tons but get a full 8 hours sleep now. Dry mouth. That's it."

Y.I (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Originally I started taking trazodone for insomnia, but was fearful of taking too much so I minimized my dose and that was a mistake. I believe its important to take the amount that starts working consistently for you as you titrate up to a dose that starts working. And you need to give it time to build up in your system. I'm up to 250 mg when I go to bed, I will take another 50 mg and that tends to give me a couple hours more sleep if I wake up too early. What's really amazing about this medicine is that I no longer struggle with depression or anxiety. It keeps my brain in chemical balance and I think clearly with no side effects, except I'm a little tired in the morning. So I drink a big cup of coffee and that helps."

kjhand June 20, 2014

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in a deep dark hole into which no light or joy came no matter what nice and kind things my family did to help. I had uuncontrollable crying bouts that might occur at any time. A friend told me Desyrel had helped her so I asked my doctor for a scrip. From the first dose I knew I was on to something. Slept well, woke rested did not interfer with intimacy with husband. Was mentally alert but took couple cups of coffee to get going. Did have moderate headache that went away in couple hours. Suddenly I was interested in life again, was able to resume handling our finances, organizing house, outings with friends. Was great. But after some time came.....weight gain, edema, and stomach on fire...slept in recliner lots. Not for long use."

BME (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Before taking Trazodone I could not fall asleep at night, I began resorting to drinking just to fall asleep at night and that alone has it's fair share of negative consequences. Literally the first night I took a 50mg Trazodone I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been on the medication for nearly a month now and I can happily say that I can't remember the last time I've felt this great! I don't feel the need to drink whatsoever. I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking the tablet, I stay asleep, and I wake up well rested with a much more positive outlook on life! I can't wait to see what the future holds. I strongly recommend this medication for anyone suffering from depression, anxiety, and/or sleep deprivation."

Gomattgo (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

218 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this medication when I was experiencing flashbacks to trauma and I would wake up in a sweat, screaming or sleepwalking. I take many other medications to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and bipolar. It worked wonderfully well for 7 years. I stopped taking this when I got a new doctor as she wanted to lower my dose of medications. I have now been consistently having nightmares and am hitting, kicking and punching my husband at night. He wakes me to this. I feel terrible about this because my husband has been a wonderful support for the last 20 years. I want to go back on trazodone. Its the only thing that will work for me."

Sandy Madagasgar January 5, 2014

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next