User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 109 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 60% of those users who reviewed Trazodone reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone

Bea · Taken for 10 years or more April 29, 2021

“I have been on Trazodone for about 30 years I have bipolar 11 I take 100mg it helps with my sleep but, if I wake up in the the middle of the night I cannot go back to sleep. It does not help with depression too much. I also take Depakote and Xanax to help with mood swings and anxiety. I have taken just about every antidepressant medicine on the market nothing seems to work. I spoke with head doctor today an asked her to up my Trazodone back to 200mgs thought I was doing so good and I have to go back up. I sit and cry half the day. I'm so sad. Been in the hospital 5 times for thoughts of suicide. Just don't know what to do but, I'm staying on my Trazodone.”

Looper · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2021

“I've tried so many medications for depression over the years nothing worked. I had severe depression last winter. I was put on trazadone because I'm sure it worked before. It is the best antidepressant for me. Doctor just upped dosage to give me full relief. Only side effect is weird dreams. Also I was having trouble sleeping and it fixed that without feeling groggy. Bonus no sexual side effects”

Khp · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2021

“After suffering with post natal depression, chronic insomnia being the most prominent symptom, my GP prescribed me this to try. I was only given 50mg to start off with. Took it 30 mins before my usual bedtime but it didn’t knock me out like I hoped. Worse was that I had a hung over feeling all the following day, I felt like I’d be hit with a tranquilliser and spent all day laying around. As I look after my daughter I can’t keep on taking this long term to see if the sedation lessens, it’s not feasible for me and I’ll have to try something else.”

Gomattgo · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2014

“Before taking Trazodone I could not fall asleep at night, I began resorting to drinking just to fall asleep at night and that alone has it's fair share of negative consequences. Literally the first night I took a 50mg Trazodone I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been on the medication for nearly a month now and I can happily say that I can't remember the last time I've felt this great! I don't feel the need to drink whatsoever. I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking the tablet, I stay asleep, and I wake up well rested with a much more positive outlook on life! I can't wait to see what the future holds. I strongly recommend this medication for anyone suffering from depression, anxiety, and/or sleep deprivation.”

CKib · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2014

“This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication.”

jess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2020

“been on trazadone for a while it made me feel terrible couldn't control my mind I thought it was me and all along it was trazadone terrible drug please think before you take this it has ruined my life felt scared all the time really shaky and anxious I'VE STOPPED IT NOW”

kjhand June 20, 2014

“Originally I started taking trazodone for insomnia, but was fearful of taking too much so I minimized my dose and that was a mistake. I believe its important to take the amount that starts working consistently for you as you titrate up to a dose that starts working. And you need to give it time to build up in your system. I'm up to 250 mg when I go to bed, I will take another 50 mg and that tends to give me a couple hours more sleep if I wake up too early. What's really amazing about this medicine is that I no longer struggle with depression or anxiety. It keeps my brain in chemical balance and I think clearly with no side effects, except I'm a little tired in the morning. So I drink a big cup of coffee and that helps.”

trazo20years · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2021

“I got prescribed trazodone 23 years ago for a sleeping aid. My doc thought I was depressed so gave me 300mg. I am still on 100mg every night and I am severely depressed I am in bed for around 16 hours a day. I have lost all interest in everything in life no motivation for anything. I am drained within 2 hours of getting up and have to go to bed again. I have tried a few times to get off trazodone but I get to around 55-60 hours awake and give up and take the trazodone again. My wife left me 10 years ago as she had enough of the way I was. Concentration and listening to people is difficult as you're not interested in what anyone's saying. I have been awake 33 hours so far (trying to get off trazodone again)and a bit teary thinking of the 20+ years I have slept in my bed for--its a bad drug for a lot of people”

Zilo · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2017

“With all due respect, don't listen to the naysayers. Its a great medication. No loading period, you can come off at anytime and it is only mildly addicting when taken in high doses for long periods. You will sleep, it will keep your anxiety and depression in check and it will allow you to be yourself again. People who tried it for a night and complain in reviews have not given it a chance. I don't understand, do they prefer to have their brain chemistry altered forever by paxil? lol Trazadone is a SARI and a minor one at that. I don't want to be a slave to paxil and the like forever, hence traz is a much better option.”

BC chic.. December 5, 2013

“I was a basket case, I cried every day for no reason. A commercial would set me off, my emotions we're out of control and I knew it but I couldn't stop it. I couldn't sleep either. My doctor then put me on trazodone, within three days I was starting to feel like my old safe again. I was on it for years. I tried to get off but the same thing happened again, so I went back on trazodone. For me, it works. I hate taking pills but sometimes you have to.”

Georgina · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

“Trazodone is absolutely great for me. I'm taking 100 mg of it every night due to terrible insomnia and persisting depression. Sertraline was only making me more miserable, but trazodone worked from day 1. I sleep a lot better and have much less trouble with bad thoughts and bad mood. Some people say it makes them feel groggy, but it's just perfect for me. This medicine is not used very often as an antidepressant, but it does worth trying it if other medicines don't fit you.”

21855000906992 · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“I have insomnia and depression. I’ve tried a lot of antidepressants and I found I’m also having trouble sleeping and struggling with depression. I’m 63 years old. My doctor prescribed trazodone 50 mg and I’ve only had it one night so far. I haven’t had a good night sleep in a long time and I actually feel human today. I’m very sensitive to meds so I had to cut the 50 mg and I’m going to try 25 mg tonight because I felt a bit groggy this morning but I am sensitive to meds. I really am hopeful for this to work. A bit soon to have an opinion but I haven’t felt this good in a long time. Also told it’s not habit forming. I was sleepy 15 minutes after I took it. And oh yes make sure there’s food in your stomach. Made me feel a bit nauseous so I had a couple soda crackers. Hope this helps some people I’ve seen a lot of positive comments made. Have a great day. ❤️ ”

noodles · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2019

“Trazodone helped me so much, I felt a boost in my confidence, I slept better at nights and my energy levels were so high. I felt so great everyday when I took them, I would always take them 9pm at night, then get tired half an hour after taking them. It definitely helped with sleep. I was ready for the day at 7am. I had so much motivation while on this medication. For anyone that is thinking of starting Trazodone, remember it takes a month to get the full effect. It doesn't start working as soon as you start taking it. I think it does work with sleep right away because it makes you drowsy after taking it.”

Island Girl · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

“My doctor prescribed this since Prozac and brintellix wiped me out sexually. Apart from the issue with libido, Prozac suited me perfectly, not so however this drug Trazodone. I was told to take 150mg..which in the light of these reviews seems extreme considering my sensitivity to drugs and my body weight, being petite. As instructed I took it five hours before bedtime. I then slept like a zombie for ten hours and woke feeling groggy with super spaced out eyes the next morning. I felt heavy, drugged and seemed to have lost my sense of balance. It took till lunchtime to feel vaguely normal again. While I do not doubt this would prevent the panic attacks as you would be too out of it to panic, whatever the issue, nuclear attack, invasion of the body snatchers, aliens abducting your children. I had no intention of suffering such extreme side effects. Consequently, I did not take again. The search goes on for the perfect drug. It most definitely is not this one.”

Cat April 30, 2020

“Doc prescribed me Trazodone for Depression. I started with 25mg because I react very sensitive to meds and the first night I had arrythmia, anxiety, cold sweat and insomnia. These side effects disappeared after 2 weeks except for occasional arrythmia. I slept well in the beginning, but I was also extremely tired during the day. I felt a bit more emotionally stable so I started taking 50mg which was a horrible decision. I had severe sexual dysfunction, wasn't able to feel anything during sex, I slept all day, felt extremely weak, my heart was pounding and I felt like I had to faint a lot. It did nothing for my depression, I felt worse than before! I was crying a lot, and when I wasn't crying I didn't feel anything at all. After a few weeks on 50mg I stopped taking it because I couldn't handle the side effects. Overall I was on Trazodone for 2,5 months. I had withdrawal symptoms like Insomnia, extreme anxiety, suicidal thoughts and others. I can't recommend this medication to anyone.”

micaela3723 September 4, 2015

“My Dr. prescribed trazadone for ptsd and depression. I haven't had a good nights sleep due to my mind racing and thinking of my past. I have noticed I've been able to sleep and wake up in a good mood and feel well rested , I've even enrolled in college and doing great in my classes.Looking forward to the future :) I don't have insurance but my provider is paying for my medication.”

Shaggin · Taken for 10 years or more May 15, 2020

“I've been taking trazadone for many years for depression, anxiety and it also helps to minimize or eliminate thought disturbances and of course it helps you sleep. So this medication does a lot and overall I will say that it has been working for me. However I do not like taking this med as it sedates you so much its hard to wake up out of it. This is the one medication I wish I could wean myself off of. Sometimes I skip a dose or two but cannot get too far from it as I will start having symptoms of depression and anxiety again. So I'm pretty much dependent on it.”

Uncle Scooby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2015

“I take 50mg Trazodone before bed. It helps me get a full night's sleep and eases my depression during the day. I don't think I'd benefit from taking it first thing in the morning because it's a very sedating drug. I also find Trazodone to be an affective long-term pain killer. Trazodone doesn't belong to any of the common classes of anti-depressant so it doesn't kill my libido like SSRIs and SNRIs tend to do.”

freednerd · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 27, 2013

“One of my favorite medicines of all time. I have taken this for depression/bipolar disorder, insomnia, and currently fibromyalgia. It is the only anti-depressant I have found that I can take and not start swinging toward the manic side. I actually feel more refreshed and get a good night's sleep after I take it. I will note that I do not normally take it for long periods of time- only when I need it (this may be days, weeks, or months). There is no withdrawal and you do not have to dose up or down with safety concerns.”

Sandy Madagasgar January 5, 2014

“I started this medication when I was experiencing flashbacks to trauma and I would wake up in a sweat, screaming or sleepwalking. I take many other medications to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and bipolar. It worked wonderfully well for 7 years. I stopped taking this when I got a new doctor as she wanted to lower my dose of medications. I have now been consistently having nightmares and am hitting, kicking and punching my husband at night. He wakes me to this. I feel terrible about this because my husband has been a wonderful support for the last 20 years. I want to go back on trazodone. Its the only thing that will work for me.”

stars little sleeper November 17, 2010

“I have suffered with severe depression, uncontrollable anger and violent outbursts, paranoia, anxiety and sleep problems. I have tried several different anti-depressants and found they all made me worse or didn't help at all. I've been taking trazodone 8 months now and my life has totally turned round. I'm on the ball at work, approachable, negativity has gone, it feels like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders, clear thought processes, friendlier and my relationship has turned around. I have a future. Amazing all this started with 150mg and now on 250mg of the little magic capsules. Thank God for this medicine, I can sleep easy. I'm normal.”

Mart72 July 25, 2013

“Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff.”

T Alger December 4, 2013

“After many, many years of taking Zoloft for depression, It got to a point where it was not as helpful as it once was. I visited my doctor who put me on trazodone as a booster to the Zoloft that I was still taking. In 2 weeks I noticed the difference. I no longer feel depressed and feel more like my old self again. The only side effect I have had is a little blurred vision...I'll take that any day over depression.”

Nic08 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

“I was put onto Trazadone 100mg after Fluoxetine stopped working and while I felt better for the first few weeks, it turned me into an absolute monster. I couldn't control my emotions, got unnecessarily angry and irritated at even the smallest things that would normally go right over my head and completely took away my sex drive and induced panic attacks. Finally decided to come off it a month ago and I feel like I've got myself back again finally, even my family have commented on how I'm my old self again. Do NOT recommend!”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2018

“Trazodone is a life saver. I was horribly depressed and had crushing insomnia (I would go to sleep at 10pm and then be wide awake at 2am with my mind racing with dark thoughts) which never went away. I asked (begged) my PCP for a sleep aid and he prescribed Trazodone 50 mg. My entire outlook on life has changed - I can smile, look forward to and enjoy things in life again.”

Anonymous May 13, 2009

Desyrel (trazodone): “I have taken about 10 different antidepressants and always had to stop because of the severity of side effects. I have been on Trazodone for over 6 years and love it. It is the only medicine I have tried that doesn't give me horrible side effects. I had to keep upping the dosage in the beginning but soon found a dose that worked. The greatest benefit is that it helps me sleep. I have severe insomnia and my depression gets out of control after too many days of not sleeping and trazodone combined with Ambien is helpful. I have no other side effects from it. The difference in depressive symptoms is not dramatic but is helpful. I recommend it for people who have a rough time with side effects from other medicines and for those who can't fall asleep.”

BME · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 11, 2014

“I was in a deep dark hole into which no light or joy came no matter what nice and kind things my family did to help. I had uuncontrollable crying bouts that might occur at any time. A friend told me Desyrel had helped her so I asked my doctor for a scrip. From the first dose I knew I was on to something. Slept well, woke rested did not interfer with intimacy with husband. Was mentally alert but took couple cups of coffee to get going. Did have moderate headache that went away in couple hours. Suddenly I was interested in life again, was able to resume handling our finances, organizing house, outings with friends. Was great. But after some time came.....weight gain, edema, and stomach on fire...slept in recliner lots. Not for long use.”

benhat72 March 1, 2018

“I was prescribed Trazodone for insomnia. I started by splitting a 50mg in two about a half hour before bed. I managed to get "good" sleep for about 3-4 hours before waking up in the middle of the night, so on the 3rd night I took a full tablet and slept like a champ. Within 7 days, I was not only sleeping better but feeling better than I had in years. I went back to my PCP and requested to be kept on Trazodone (I do still take Lamotrigine as well). I'm at 3 weeks (full effectiveness) and could not be happier. My anxiety, depression, paranoia, and exhaustion have all but vanished. Here are some of the side effects I experienced during the first two weeks of being on Trazodone: dizziness, confusion, and mild nausea. All of these have passed. I exercise daily and eat right. No coffee, no tea, and a limited amount of sugar. No pot. Going to bed at the same time every night is also a plus.”