User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

"I was prescribed trazodone for depression. I'm on 100 mg. Works for the depression and the bonus is that it helps me fall asleep fast. There is a slight "hangover" feeling in the morning but it disappears with my first cup of coffee."

Yooper (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2018

"The first night I used trazodone it made me unbearably dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous. I actually ended up passing out in my kitchen. Every time I would sit up from a lying down position I felt like I was going to pass out, and honestly the whole experience really scared me. I let the fear take over for quite a while and the medication sat in my bedside table untouched for about four months, maybe longer. Until I reached a point where I felt like I had no choice but to give it another try. I have struggled with severe insomnia, depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have refused to take medication out of fear of addiction and the lengthy list of side effects associated with most of them. I have been taking trazodone every other night to every night for about three weeks now and I have never slept better. I feel generally happier and my anxiety is better controlled. Definitely worth a try for those who can relate."

D (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2018

"Trazodone is a life saver. I was horribly depressed and had crushing insomnia (I would go to sleep at 10pm and then be wide awake at 2am with my mind racing with dark thoughts) which never went away. I asked (begged) my PCP for a sleep aid and he prescribed Trazodone 50 mg. My entire outlook on life has changed - I can smile, look forward to and enjoy things in life again."

Mike (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2018

"I was prescribed Trazodone for insomnia. I started by splitting a 50mg in two about a half hour before bed. I managed to get "good" sleep for about 3-4 hours before waking up in the middle of the night, so on the 3rd night I took a full tablet and slept like a champ. Within 7 days, I was not only sleeping better but feeling better than I had in years. I went back to my PCP and requested to be kept on Trazodone (I do still take Lamotrigine as well). I'm at 3 weeks (full effectiveness) and could not be happier. My anxiety, depression, paranoia, and exhaustion have all but vanished. Here are some of the side effects I experienced during the first two weeks of being on Trazodone: dizziness, confusion, and mild nausea. All of these have passed. I exercise daily and eat right. No coffee, no tea, and a limited amount of sugar. No pot. Going to bed at the same time every night is also a plus."

benhat72 March 1, 2018

"I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression for almost 5 years now, (I'm 21) and the first week (on 50mg) was AWFUL. Fast forward to the next week and for the first time in a long time, I started to feel like a human again. Getting out of bed became easier, and my motivation to do my school work came back! I've noticed that sometimes I'll be in a good mood and I'll feel myself get overly happy? Hard to explain, but it's better than having suicidal thoughts on an almost daily basis, am I right? It helped with my anxiety-related insomnia a bit and the amount of anxiety attacks I'd have per day has decreased (but my anxiety is still pretty bad). Thinking of asking my doc to up the dosage?"

A9S7 January 24, 2018

"I am a Critical Care Nurse. I had a situational depression after beginning my career of taking care of AIDS patients and where 11 of my co workers died within a two year period. My room mate died and I was told to prepare to die. I didn't die but later I developed depression. Nothing worked except Trazadone. After a year taking it I was back to high functioning and went back to graduate school. For me, it was a life saver."

robehou (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

"I was prescribed 100mg of trazadone and it made me feel so sick and dizzy to the point I couldn't function. I couldn't stay on it for more than a week. It didn't help my depression at all."

saige666 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

"This is the worst! I had traumatic dreams and I already suffer from PTSD and major depression. It took me hours to fall asleep and I had horrible constipation too. I give this an F in my grade book. I’m now on both Seroquel and Zoloft, minus some minor side effects they get A’s."

Depressionjkkjj November 10, 2017

"Trazadone seems to be a good drug for Insommnia and depression..however I am now on 50mgs alternate nights as I have put on a stone with it . I had being on Mitrazepam 7.5mgs prior with 2 stone weight gain..Weight is now almost more depressing than how I was prior"

Sophie 14 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2017

"I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety just under 10 weeks ago. I didn't sleep for 11 nights which made my symptoms unbearable. My brain just wouldn't switch off & I was in a really dark place. I was put on 15mg of mirtazapine, it knocked me out at night but I felt worse, spaced out & suicidal & still did after 5 weeks. My gp swapped me to trazodone....I'm on 200mg & it does nothing to help me sleep. I have to take a 7.5mg zopliclone tablet as well each night just to get some rest. My mood has been a little better since taking trazodone but it's even worse when I can't sleep. My GP isn't happy so far with the results from trazodone, 5 weeks on, so may swap me to fluoxetine after giving it another 2 more weeks."

Katie_w38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2017

"Dry mouth"

LorieAnn1967 July 14, 2017

"I had been having horrible anxiety and couldn't sleep. I would sleep for an hour and my brain would race with a to-do list. Since I already was on medication for depression my Dr prescribed Trazodone. The first day was hell. Woke up several time during the night, head pounded the next day, and I was on a fog all day. I wanted to stop but tried it again after talking to my Dr. I slept better the second night but still woke up with a headache. I didn't have the fog the next day. By the third day I was fine. Sleeping like a normal person and able to function during the day. Found out I was getting the headache and the foggy feeling because I was not allowing myself enough time to sleep."

MrsRoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

"With all due respect, don't listen to the naysayers. Its a great medication. No loading period, you can come off at anytime and it is only mildly addicting when taken in high doses for long periods. You will sleep, it will keep your anxiety and depression in check and it will allow you to be yourself again. People who tried it for a night and complain in reviews have not given it a chance. I don't understand, do they prefer to have their brain chemistry altered forever by paxil? lol Trazadone is a SARI and a minor one at that. I don't want to be a slave to paxil and the like forever, hence traz is a much better option."

Zilo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

"My husband and I went through a very rough patch after having kids and I suffered terrible post partum depression. He ended up leaving me for somebody else at the time and I was put on Trazodone because I was not able to shut my brain off at night and wasn't getting any sleep. I was prescribed a whole 100mg tab but only took a 1/4 tab before bed and it was enough to shut my mind off and take away those depressing thoughts. I haven't had to take it for almost a year now but it helped bring that old me back."

Pharm Tech 2017 April 30, 2017

"I am a 50 year old struggling through the initial stages of menopause. The hot flashes and insomnia have been miserable and HRT is not an option. My GP recommended Trazodone and I am so grateful! The hot flashes seem to be cyclical with me so I can go months with no issues and then they come back, so I only use Trazodone at the height of sleep disruption. I usually can take 25mg and it works fine, other times I take 50mg. Takes about an hour for it to kick in and I sleep through the hot flashes, which are every 30 minutes. Love this medication and it is so inexpensive!"

Nezra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

"I took this medicine for the first time last night and I will never take it again. My doctor told me to take a half of the 100mg before bed. It knocked me out for 14 hours, I woke up and felt in a daze, I was unsteady on my feet, I had THE WORST migraine of my life to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. I felt terribly nauseous. I ended up calling out of work."

Lexbc February 2, 2017

"It worked well on low dosage but after my Dr increased the dosage to 200mg at night I feel worse I have told my doctor that I have now lost complete appetite .. nausea ,throwing up and massive loss weight. She stopped the Drug and switched it with Wellbutrin same day with .05 rivitrol and another antidepressant."

Hoosen (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

"I'm on celexa 40 mg and my doctor add trazodone 50 mg, and I feel the difference. I feel a lot better, and happier, sleeping the whole night"

Gelly August 23, 2016

"I took trazodone last night...this morning I woke with an excruciating headache & throwing up. I was extremely dizzy & couldn't focus. I will not be taking this again ever... It feels awful."

Shesoulsweet August 11, 2016

"I started out on a quarter of a 50 mg Trazadone tablet every other night at bedtime. I did this for a week then increased to a quarter tab every night. After two nights of one quarter tablets I started waking with a stuffy nose and a headache. Morning 3, I was in a full blown migraine and had to take zomig. I have attempted this exact process 4 times now with weeks in between (no trazadone) to make sure it is a side effect of the medicine. Now, I am sure Trazadone is causing the headaches and I never have taken more than 1/4."

Ocaladee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

"I went to sleep but the next day I felt awful a headache and my nausea! Never again!"

Curtina July 27, 2016

"I have taken 50mg of Trazodone on two non consecutive nights and have had very severe side effects. Both nights, I recall having an extremely high heart rate, a massive headache caused by sinus pressure, it caused extreme post Nasal drip, and I had trouble swallowing because of the dry mouth. By 430 am on the second night that I tried taking Trazodone I took an Atavan because I was panicking because I could not sleep. Afterwards I felt incredibly dizzy, because the two medications don't mix well together. Tonight I decided I would skip the medication and see if I could sleep without it. It is 1247 am and I'm still awake. I spent a night last week in a sleep disorder lap, but I was unable to sleep there either."

Fed up! June 10, 2016

"I take trazodone to help balance the effects Cymbalta had on my sleep and to help with my depression. My experience has been wonderful, helps me fall asleep and sleep restfully. Together with Cymbalta, Trazodone has completely eradicated my depression."

NatterTatter June 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago although I feel I've had it for 8 years .. For the past 8 years I've woken up miserably tired so tired that it's unbearable and has made my life very difficult.major brain fog..extremely sensitive...lots of anxiety.. This led to depression Although I knock out every night the doctor put me on trazodone to improve my quality of sleep. I started off at 25 mg was groggy for three days ALL day even with coffee so I decided to cut it and am now on 15 mg and today marks 14 days on it..I never wake up during the night..I wake up sleepy but ready to go! Unlike every other morning the past 8 years where I could barely function.. I'm less anxious I feel happier and am extremely thankful."

Lilfunyan86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I was given this drug as a prescription for sleep issues that I was having. At the time I had no known indications of depression or anxiety. It was simply to help with my sleep patterns since I travelled extensively. After taking the drug for a few months I simply stopped because I was on a more regular sleep cycle. Within a week, I was completely incapacidated, diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and exhaustion. I also became terrified of daily activities and was incapable of even showering myself. I have never experienced such a dark space in my life. It wasn't until later that my symptoms were tied to this medicine withdrawal. I am furious about that and now taking another med to recover from this one, and then weened off."

GinoFred February 8, 2016