User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

"With all due respect, don't listen to the naysayers. Its a great medication. No loading period, you can come off at anytime and it is only mildly addicting when taken in high doses for long periods. You will sleep, it will keep your anxiety and depression in check and it will allow you to be yourself again. People who tried it for a night and complain in reviews have not given it a chance. I don't understand, do they prefer to have their brain chemistry altered forever by paxil? lol Trazadone is a SARI and a minor one at that. I don't want to be a slave to paxil and the like forever, hence traz is a much better option."

Zilo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband and I went through a very rough patch after having kids and I suffered terrible post partum depression. He ended up leaving me for somebody else at the time and I was put on Trazodone because I was not able to shut my brain off at night and wasn't getting any sleep. I was prescribed a whole 100mg tab but only took a 1/4 tab before bed and it was enough to shut my mind off and take away those depressing thoughts. I haven't had to take it for almost a year now but it helped bring that old me back."

Pharm Tech 2017 April 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 50 year old struggling through the initial stages of menopause. The hot flashes and insomnia have been miserable and HRT is not an option. My GP recommended Trazodone and I am so grateful! The hot flashes seem to be cyclical with me so I can go months with no issues and then they come back, so I only use Trazodone at the height of sleep disruption. I usually can take 25mg and it works fine, other times I take 50mg. Takes about an hour for it to kick in and I sleep through the hot flashes, which are every 30 minutes. Love this medication and it is so inexpensive!"

Nezra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medicine for the first time last night and I will never take it again. My doctor told me to take a half of the 100mg before bed. It knocked me out for 14 hours, I woke up and felt in a daze, I was unsteady on my feet, I had THE WORST migraine of my life to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. I felt terribly nauseous. I ended up calling out of work."

Lexbc February 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It worked well on low dosage but after my Dr increased the dosage to 200mg at night I feel worse I have told my doctor that I have now lost complete appetite .. nausea ,throwing up and massive loss weight. She stopped the Drug and switched it with Wellbutrin same day with .05 rivitrol and another antidepressant."

Hoosen (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on celexa 40 mg and my doctor add trazodone 50 mg, and I feel the difference. I feel a lot better, and happier, sleeping the whole night"

Gelly August 23, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took trazodone last night...this morning I woke with an excruciating headache & throwing up. I was extremely dizzy & couldn't focus. I will not be taking this again ever... It feels awful."

Shesoulsweet August 11, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started out on a quarter of a 50 mg Trazadone tablet every other night at bedtime. I did this for a week then increased to a quarter tab every night. After two nights of one quarter tablets I started waking with a stuffy nose and a headache. Morning 3, I was in a full blown migraine and had to take zomig. I have attempted this exact process 4 times now with weeks in between (no trazadone) to make sure it is a side effect of the medicine. Now, I am sure Trazadone is causing the headaches and I never have taken more than 1/4."

Ocaladee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to sleep but the next day I felt awful a headache and my nausea! Never again!"

Curtina July 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken 50mg of Trazodone on two non consecutive nights and have had very severe side effects. Both nights, I recall having an extremely high heart rate, a massive headache caused by sinus pressure, it caused extreme post Nasal drip, and I had trouble swallowing because of the dry mouth. By 430 am on the second night that I tried taking Trazodone I took an Atavan because I was panicking because I could not sleep. Afterwards I felt incredibly dizzy, because the two medications don't mix well together. Tonight I decided I would skip the medication and see if I could sleep without it. It is 1247 am and I'm still awake. I spent a night last week in a sleep disorder lap, but I was unable to sleep there either."

Fed up! June 10, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take trazodone to help balance the effects Cymbalta had on my sleep and to help with my depression. My experience has been wonderful, helps me fall asleep and sleep restfully. Together with Cymbalta, Trazodone has completely eradicated my depression."

NatterTatter June 1, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago although I feel I've had it for 8 years .. For the past 8 years I've woken up miserably tired so tired that it's unbearable and has made my life very difficult.major brain fog..extremely sensitive...lots of anxiety.. This led to depression Although I knock out every night the doctor put me on trazodone to improve my quality of sleep. I started off at 25 mg was groggy for three days ALL day even with coffee so I decided to cut it and am now on 15 mg and today marks 14 days on it..I never wake up during the night..I wake up sleepy but ready to go! Unlike every other morning the past 8 years where I could barely function.. I'm less anxious I feel happier and am extremely thankful."

Lilfunyan86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this drug as a prescription for sleep issues that I was having. At the time I had no known indications of depression or anxiety. It was simply to help with my sleep patterns since I travelled extensively. After taking the drug for a few months I simply stopped because I was on a more regular sleep cycle. Within a week, I was completely incapacidated, diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and exhaustion. I also became terrified of daily activities and was incapable of even showering myself. I have never experienced such a dark space in my life. It wasn't until later that my symptoms were tied to this medicine withdrawal. I am furious about that and now taking another med to recover from this one, and then weened off."

GinoFred February 8, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was a negative experience for me at least. I felt sad, depressed , can't sleep, and aggressive toward myself and hate dislike who I am. I don't think my Dr listens to me or maybe it's my fault . I cry at work and so scared I'll loose my job, I'm so scared and anxious and depressed and the medicine makes me feel a lot worse."

Anonymous February 1, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My pcm prescribed it for hot flashes, because I can't take anything with estrogen, so no HRT for me. I was having 10-12 hot flashes in a 24 hr period. Now I only have 2-3. I must take it at night, because it definitely helps with sleep. I still wake up slightly groggy. And If I have a hot flash it does wake me, but I'm able to go back to sleep. I started with 50mg. But now I take 25. I may try to take it every other night, because I don't like being on medication. But I am pleased with it. It is also an older drug, so any bad side effects should've been discovered by now."

VOR January 29, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put onto Trazadone (started on 50mg then 100mg after 2 weeks) after having 3 months of citralopram which was not working for me. The trazadone has 100% helped my sleeping as I was only sleeping 1-2 hours per night. As for my depression it seems to helped so far, I'm still having episodes lasting 2 days to a week however these are a lot less frequent. Trazadone has helped my anxiety however I do still suffer from bouts of anxiety at least once a week (again better than before the trazadone). Personally I think that trazadone is great for treating sleeping problems, anxiety and depression and hopefully I will see even better results the longer I take it for."

Deb96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My upper eyelids seem to swell from this. What is this from?"

Sarahdschultz November 28, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr. prescribed trazadone for ptsd and depression. I haven't had a good nights sleep due to my mind racing and thinking of my past. I have noticed I've been able to sleep and wake up in a good mood and feel well rested , I've even enrolled in college and doing great in my classes.Looking forward to the future :) I don't have insurance but my provider is paying for my medication."

micaela3723 September 4, 2015

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the beginning, I felt no Difference. After two weeks Or 10 days, I felt the medication working, it help me relax , fall asleep, anxiety And anxious."

Starr0327 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 50mg Trazodone before bed. It helps me get a full night's sleep and eases my depression during the day. I don't think I'd benefit from taking it first thing in the morning because it's a very sedating drug. I also find Trazodone to be an affective long-term pain killer. Trazodone doesn't belong to any of the common classes of anti-depressant so it doesn't kill my libido like SSRIs and SNRIs tend to do."

Uncle Scooby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow. A pa prescribed this for me in addition with 150 mgs of Zoloft. It's a life changer. Sometimes i have restless legs and a slight headache but I'll take that over depression and loss of interest any day! I sleep so good and am just generally a happy person. I was prescribed it for sleep but it does much more than that! If you're looking for great restful sleep or even an anti depressant booster...look no further!"

A.L. gunn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i have suffered with anxiety and insomina for 15 years..trazadone with mirtazapine has changed my life for the better..i give it a 10 outa 10.."

safeforce February 2, 2015

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried several SSRI-class medications over the years starting around age 15...(sertraline, Lexapro, Celexa). All of them gave me uncomfortable side effects...(anorgasmia, RLS, nightmares, inability to sleep). I was never able to take them long enough to get any anti-depressant or anxiolytic effects due to the unbearable side effects. I finally went and got a prescription for Trazodone along with a prescription for Valium around 5 days ago. I started by taking 12.5mg for 4 days. Last night I upped my dose to 25mg. Today is the first time I've woken up and actually felt good. I can fall asleep quickly and easily and my mood has been greatly improved. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone who has not had good experiences with conventional SSRIs."

User518 January 30, 2015

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am going to start this medication tonight and by reading these reviews I am so hopeful. Thank you to everyone who has posted the good and the bad!"

Maria_75 November 25, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication."

CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014