User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

Headache
3.2

Summary of Trazodone reviews 6.8 829 reviews

Reviews for Trazodone

For Anxiety: "Trazarone 50mg works for me great! I wasn't getting any sleep and was going thru anxiety, panic attacks and depression. This medication works wonderful."

Liri84 April 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I either fall asleep super easily, but wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts or I have terrible insomnia and can't fall asleep to begin with. I take 300mg of Effexor every day and my NP told me we would start off with 50mg of Trazodone to help with this issue. She said to take it about 30 min before bedtime and that I needed to be laying down, relaxing for it to work or I would bypass the effects. I've taken the drug a handful of times and each time it has done NOTHING. I still lay in bed wide awake with my thoughts. The day after taking it I have horrendous dry mouth which wouldn't be the worst side effect if it was actually working for me."

m3815 April 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am a 50 year old struggling through the initial stages of menopause. The hot flashes and insomnia have been miserable and HRT is not an option. My GP recommended Trazodone and I am so grateful! The hot flashes seem to be cyclical with me so I can go months with no issues and then they come back, so I only use Trazodone at the height of sleep disruption. I usually can take 25mg and it works fine, other times I take 50mg. Takes about an hour for it to kick in and I sleep through the hot flashes, which are every 30 minutes. Love this medication and it is so inexpensive!"

Nezra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "Love trazodone. I was taking Ambein to help me sleep but I would wake up after 2 or 3 hours. My doctor prescribed trazodone and I sleep 7 to 9 hours a night...plus it has helped my anxiety. Totally recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Since around age 4 years old I've had a problem with sleeping. After having my kids my sleep what sleep I was getting went away. By time I hit 30 I truly thought I was going to die from exhaustion, then grand babies came my thought than was "ok now what I do", my HCP blew me off. So I returned to my old HCP and with my PTSD and OSTD he put me on traz. And first night on traz 50mg I slept for 12 HOURS OMG it was so amazing only problem I see is its like a alarm clock....I wake up at 4:00am no sweats...no dry mouth...etc. I never knew sleeping felt so good and I'm almost 50 yrs old. All my life fighting the chronic insomnia and now I have something that helps me I just pray my body doesn't reject it"

Maryb_49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking trazodone 4/5 years ago after trying Prozac, Zoloft, Quetiapine and other a few other medications with no luck. It worked for me straight away. I did notice some weight loss for the first few months but I put this down to my increased mood and therefore lack of emotional eating - it was probably also because it lowered my anxiety and I felt like I had a clear mind for the first time in a long time. I took 100mg at night because of the sedating affect. I did feel groggy in the mornings but a coffee helps. I also noticed more frequent dreams but other than that I had no side effects! I'm only giving this an 8 because sadly now the medication no longer has an effect on me."

Carlssss April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "When I took my dosage at bedtime it was wonderful as long as I didn't have to get back up in the deep sleep it puts me In. Which I desperately need. However I literally will sleep 12 hours straight or until someone wakes me up. So I may need to cut my dose in half. Luckily I am able to stay home or I would be fired."

Tracyg65 April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took this medication for insomnia twice. The first time I tried it, I heard voices. I realized that these voices weren't normal or "mine," but I said to myself, "you know what? Maybe that was just a one time thing. I really want to sleep. Let me try this again." Next night I tried it I heard screaming (in my head). I then proceeded to put the medication right in the trash. My sleeping patterns are [still] also trash."

purple reign (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was given trazadone by my psychiatrist instead of imovane or benzodiazepines. At first I took 50mg, 1st week it was hard to get up in the morning but that got better, then I went up to 100mg and couldn't handle it (too groggy) so back down to 50mg. This med helped me for months so if you can get through the first few weeks of morning grogginess give it a try. I suffer from major depression, anxiety, insomnia and I am a recovering alcoholic."

Christicroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My doctor prescribed trazodone for sleeplessness and anxiety. I did sleep, however over time, I had daytime hallucinations, bad dreams, loss of memory, trouble talking, loss of focus, anxiety, swelling on the back of my head, ringing in my ears, and insomnia. After six months, I weaned myself off of the medication and felt horrible. It took me 3 weeks to get back to normal. I slept only 2, to 3 hrs per day over a week and then 4 hrs, then 7. This medication was bad for me, over time. I taught myself to sleep without medication."

Lady Sandy April 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "If I never slept again, I would not take trazadone again. One night only with the driest mouth possible. Intermittent sleep punctuated with seeking water. It was kind of terrifying. To put it bluntly: Rough. I had a rough, unusual uncomfortableness. "

Geum (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took trazodone for a few months without any side affects that was cause a concern. Light grogginess in the morning is natural on any sleep aid. After a few months I got really dry mouth, headaches and the hangover was so intense that it would last all day long. After a few days at work with this dangerous hang over I stopped taking it. I'd rather sleep just a few hours with natural stuff like melatonin then feel completely sick and exhausted at work the following day. I could see this working for someone who doesn't have a schedule. Not fun if you have to be up by a certain time."

Brandon M March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am 65, male 150 lbs. I've been taking trazadone for probably 15 years. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep . My mind would race. This helps me fall asleep a little and lets me sleep all night. If I wake up to pee I get right back to sleep. No grogginess in the morning all though it does affect my wife that way when she takes it. No side effects. I can still fall asleep without it and no effect if I don't take it for awhile"

EdYeakel (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking antidepressants off and on for 20 years. Have tried Prozac, Effexor and cipralex, these all helped me and I was usually on these for a year or two. I haven't taken any medication for the last 5 years. This past year, I have been suffering from insomnia, waking up at around 3 am with racing thoughts and anxiety. Extreme tiredness led to depression, feeling not myself, lack of interest in anything. I finally had enough and spoke to doctor and decided to give Effexor a try again. I lasted 2 days I felt completely out of my head , like an acid trip or something and absolutely no sleep. Awful! I started 50 mg of trazadone 6 days ago and feel like this is exactly what I need. I feel rested and happy again!"

Cobasda March 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have Bi-Polar II. Have suffered from depression, hypo-mania, and anxiety. One thing constant was difficulty sleeping. Sometimes night after night. I would just lay there and my mind would race. I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a year. 50mg-100 if needed. I've taken as much as 100, but often 50 then another 25 if needed. It's the best sleep I have ever had. I sleep through the night. If I have to get up for the bathroom, I fall right back to sleep. If I take higher doses I do get some grogginess, occasional blurry vision, and joint ache. But getting good sleep is worth it and helps with my other bi-polar symptoms. These days I've only been taking 50 but it still works and side effects are fewer."

reverb March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was given trazadone for insomnia. I generally don't fall asleep until early morning! I started this medication 6 months ago and am so thankful for it! I have read a lot of reviews with people saying they are sleeping 14 hours, I personally have not experienced that. I was told to start with 50 mg, didn't seem to do the trick for me. I started taking 100 mg and it works great! I thought I needed something to shut my mind down because it doesn't ever seem to shut off! It definitely doesn't shut the mind down but I have found if I do deep breathing and take the trazadone I'm usually out within 20 minutes! I have never felt dizzy or fatigued like others are saying but medications work different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking trazodone for almost 6 years. It is a lifesaver for me. After trying most of the benzos, ambien, restoril, seroquel, melatonin and anything else the docs could throw at me I was offered this. I had went years sleeping 1-2 hours a night with a quick cat nap for a couple of minutes here and there. Started of at 25mg and I'm now at 75mg. Some random grogginess first thing in the morning. Full 8 hours of sleep but aware enough to hear one of the kids if they need me. I believe this med is just like any other. While it may work for some it may be horrible for others. Just as I have failed some and they have worked terrifically for others. It's trial and error and there is no one size fits all when it comes to any medication."

Kraftyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "First day prescribed (50mg) I did sleep for a little over 8 hours, but was groggy with very blurred vision all day. I also had extreme fatigue and body aches. Night 2 I took 25mg and slept for Less than 4 hours, but only had minor grogginess. I'll take 25mg for a few more nights, but might d/c if side effects remain."

Doug XLIX March 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I can imagine with awe how I used to sleep even camping in heat or storms in tents in my 20's - maybe just so exhausted from mountain treks. In 30's, no major issues except occasional job stress or ex's loud snoring. All that changed at 40 when within 5 months my mom died, I got divorced, and I was stabbed up in a street robbery. Sleep is sometimes almost impossible, and if you're reading this site, you are probably looking for answers (for you or a loved one.) I've been prescribed so many things, but Drs repeatedly tell me Traz is the best because it's non-addictive and allows all stages of sleep cycle. It worked great albeit funky dreams, but the next-day grogginess never left, so after many months I quit (absolutely no withdrawals.)"

Adult_onset_insomnia (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This is my favorite hypnotic drug. I've been suffering from insomnia for at least ten years, with good stretches and bad ones. Through CBT, I've learned to worry less about sleep, but I'm still a light sleeper and would wake up many times during the night, which is a source of anxiety and a burden. Taking 25 mg allows me to sleep trough the night with fewer awakenings and less difficulty falling back to sleep. Trazodone is a tool in your arsenal, but it's not "sleep-in-a-pill": it won't knock you out like the benzos or z-drugs, and that's not a bad thing, because this effect tends to create tolerance and rebound insomnia. Also, allow one week for the effects to stabilize before drawing any conclusion."

LewisTM February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking trazodone for almost two months now. I went in to the doctor wanting a solution for insomnia but then quickly realized it was due to my situational depression. I told him that I never wanted to go on pills for depression but then he explained to me that trazodone is an antidepressant but doesn't have the horrible side effects such as prozac. He also told me its not addictive and that its a very old anti depressant so it wouldn't really do much in that category. These pills have made my life so much easier... I used to get anxiety a little bit after I took them but it went away after a week or two. I am prescribed 50 mg but I only take half, it doesn't really knock me out but I can get to bed before 1am which is great."

sleeeep February 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am literally so thankful for this medication, even though I don't even take it anymore. I took it for 1.5 years. I had horrible insomnia. I was in my first year of med school, and it was getting to the point where my mind was so cloudy, so sick from the lack of quality sleep that I began nearly failing my tests. I had anhedonia, social anxiety, suicidal dreams, no appetite, etc. The first night I took trazodone, my life changed, and all my symptoms washed away. The moment I began sleeping well on trazodone, my grades shot up, my social anxiety was gone, etc etc. This saved me life."

2nd_yr_med_student February 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This is one horrible drug. I was given this to help with insomnia as I weened off Clonazepam. I am already on blood pressure medication and the first week I ended up in ER twice with blood pressure reading up near 200, hyperactive, blurred vision, and the shakes. My pressure has continued to roller coaster all over the board for the past two weeks. My regular doctor and cardiologist didn't seem to care so I switched and went to a different health provider. He now has me tapering me off the Tarazadone and is confident my blood pressure will return to normal."

tig1004 February 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "They took me off valium after taking it for anxieties from a severe Traumatic brain injury while in the military. Now with there new rules they put me on trazodone for anxiety and wow its the worst thing a person can take. Read about all the dangers about the side effects from ssri's they are killing american vets especially. Please if you read this don't ever take a SSRI. I have done a lot of reading and found that antidepressants are horrible for a person. Even the scientist have said they made a mistake and they are not able to test the serotonin in a persons brain. So basically you are a guinea pig. They don't work and your addiction means no more sex!!! How can the drug companies make such a pill to help people when there the worst drug a person can take."

gothomas1 February 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was on 150mg of Trazodone for about a year and a half. My sleep was awesome. A little groggy in the morning, but I got used to that. Unfortunately, after a few months of starting the med, I began having all day severe dizziness. Didn't think that it could be from the Trazodone and ended up seeing two neurologists trying to figure out what was happening. They couldn't find a cause. Out of frustration I quit the Trazodone cold turkey to see if it could be the cause. Sure enough "

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2017