User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed 50mg to help me sleep better with chronic anxiety and possibly in a hypomanic state. I took the dose at 10pm. An hour later, I felt a big sluggish and was able to get into bed. Then, fifteen minutes later, my pulse sky rocketed and my heart started beating incredibly fast. I had tingly sensations in my neck chest and arms. I was wide awake until 4am and completely panicked and scared. I’ve been on tons of medications and never had this type of reaction. It felt like cocaine. I stopped taking it immediately."

Annieanxious (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I had really low expectations for trazodone, but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised! I have PTSD, trouble falling/staying asleep, and anxiety/panic during the day. I take between 12.5mg and 25mg of trazodone at night. It’s like a miracle drug for me. The side effects I’ve had are feeling a little zoned out (this has worn off over the past 3 weeks), less nervous eating, and occasional increased REM sleep. It’s important to take it early (by 10pm) otherwise I can feel groggy for many hours during the day. But it’s made my anxiety VERY manageable. I definitely wasn’t expecting it to work. There are no withdrawals or unpleasant side effects if I don’t take it. It works just as well as ativan or Xanax with fewer side effects (I don’t feel loopy). Very happy!!!"

Yorkiefsn886 March 22, 2018

"I'm very happy. I love trazodone. I have been taking Trazodone for about 1 year and it works for me with my sleep and depression and panic attacks. Trazodone 150mg works for me great!This medication works wonderful. From Romania"

Adi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

"My 13 year-old had such severe anxiety that she regularly refused to go to school. After taking Trazodone (50mg each night) her anxiety, hyper-sensitivity and morning vomiting stopped. She is now 15 and a very easy teenager in comparison to most. She is happy, has lots of friends and is getting good grades in school. She has a tougher skin and a maturity I never thought would come. This medication and a lot of love saved this girl. She is a little groggy in the morning but a cup of iced coffee easily fixes the fatigue."

JPSMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2018

"After taking the drug for 2 days and then on the 3rd day I was covered in hives and my lips were swollen."

Keywest78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2017

"I had been using lorazepam “as needed” to deal with early-morning anxiety/insomnia for about 3 years but worried about tolerance, so wanted to try trazodone, hoping also for help with erections (I’m 68). First night 25 mg did not help with insomnia (in fact made it worse) and caused brief nausea, but ZERO morning anxiety and 2 good erections. Next night insomnia returned to baseline, no nausea or other side effects, and no anxiety, but no more erections. Continued like this for 5 more nights. Then I tried 50 mg for 3 nights. First night insomnia was worse but otherwise the same effects. Next 2 nights saw next-day anxiety return, plus dry mouth, lightheadedness, weakness, and incoordination. Thinking of bailing."

skywheel (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2017

"Prescribed 150 mg for anxiety and unable to go to sleep. Took 1/2 tablet which was 75 mg. Started stumbling around soon after taking. Spent a sleepless night with the jitters, blurry vision, head felt like it was in a vice. Was 36 hours before I felt back to normal."

Mackaty (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

"I had terrible gastrointestinal issues with Sertraline and Lexapro, SSRI's, causing me more anxiety then helping. Trazodone does not impact my stomach, and I sleep really well on it, as I was having terrible night time panic attacks, those are gone and stomach is stable."

sfsbmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

"over the last 2 years anxiety, panic attacks, stress levels & insomnia have creeped in with vengeance. At first the Dr put me on mirtazapine which didn't work for me at all -awful side effects, it made me really restless, snappy & totally lowered my mood more then it already was before starting the medication. The Dr then put me on 50mg trazodone which so far I have only been using for 2 weeks. So far for me personally it hasn't worked any sort of wonders, the only way I can describe It is that I don't feel so much all over the place if that makes sense and unfortunately it hasn't helped with my sleep at all. But I'm only on my second week in, hopefully after another few weeks it might start to balance its self out."

Lu2017 (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

"I started off taking 25mg Trazodone and eventually worked my way up to 75mg which I was on for about 2 months. Trazodone worked great for helping me fall and stay asleep throughout the night without waking up from panic attacks. It made me feel relaxed and I never felt the need for Xanax which was the case prior to taking Trazodone. However, getting off Trazodone was rough. The first week off, I had two panic attacks at night even while on an SSRI. After that I became more stable but experiencing those few panic attacks after getting off wasn't fun."

Anxiety/OCD Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

"I am in my mid fifties and my anxiety has gradually worsened over the past 6 years or so. I'm now off work. I have tried a few meds but this is the most recent. I only took 50mg for 3 weeks. I found my sleep to be a little better and I seemed slightly less self conscious if that makes sense. The negatives far outweighed any benefits though. Within the first week I had lost my appetite and when I ate I would just bloat. I also got stomach pains. It basically shut my metabolism down. I have extreme headaches and dizziness as well and zero motivation. I have to say that I am one of those people that are very sensitive to medications so this drug may benefit some people"

Summercrash (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

"I was taking Xanax for many years to treat my anxiety. New guidelines, however, said I couldn't continue because of the pain medicines I take and fear of overdose. My doctor prescribed Trazadone. I was hesitant at first but I took it because I wasn't sleeping. It works great! I can't believe I like it even better than the Xanax! While on Xanax I still had anxiety but this med has really helped both anxiety and insomnia."

Nullery May 9, 2017

"Works very well for my anxiety as well as a bit for my depression. Definitely the best medicine I have ever tried for anxiety, even works better for me than Xanax with much less dangerous side effects."

samsdb May 1, 2017

"Trazarone 50mg works for me great! I wasn't getting any sleep and was going thru anxiety, panic attacks and depression. This medication works wonderful."

Liri84 April 29, 2017

"When I took my dosage at bedtime it was wonderful as long as I didn't have to get back up in the deep sleep it puts me In. Which I desperately need. However I literally will sleep 12 hours straight or until someone wakes me up. So I may need to cut my dose in half. Luckily I am able to stay home or I would be fired."

Tracyg65 April 21, 2017

"They took me off valium after taking it for anxieties from a severe Traumatic brain injury while in the military. Now with there new rules they put me on trazodone for anxiety and wow its the worst thing a person can take. Read about all the dangers about the side effects from ssri's they are killing american vets especially. Please if you read this don't ever take a SSRI. I have done a lot of reading and found that antidepressants are horrible for a person. Even the scientist have said they made a mistake and they are not able to test the serotonin in a persons brain. So basically you are a guinea pig. They don't work and your addiction means no more sex!!! How can the drug companies make such a pill to help people when there the worst drug a person can take."

gothomas1 February 18, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication several years ago for anxiety disorder and depression with serious insomnia. It worked like a charm to help me get a really good night's sleep and saved my sanity. I took it daily for about 2 years.. It really knocked me out, so that if someone woke me in the middle of the night I was pretty much incoherent and felt heavily drugged. I did feel alert and rested in the morning. Worst thing for me was a rare side effect that caused my bone marrow to stop producing white blood cells. A swollen lymph node resulted in a blood test, which showed no wbc's at all. Scared of cancer, but my doc told me to stop taking this drug and the tests afterward were back to normal. I suggest you get blood tests if on this med."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

"Not sure"

Tici 610 January 29, 2017

"I wrote another review under insomnia but it is caused by anxiety. Trazodone has helped me out although I also take Zoloft during the day and I seem to be much better as well as I sleep at night after years of insomnia and anxiety the combination I feel is working. Of course most people can't take Trazodone during the day and I initially had side effects and on the first night fell into my dresser after getting up to use the bathroom. Initial dose was 150 mg so right away I cut it down to 75mg. I still had side effects such as tremors in the morning for a couple of hours and stopped taking it. After going back to very little sleep I tried it again taking only 50mg. The tremors went away after a few weeks. Now all good.THUMBS UP. TRY A MONTH"

Dr. Philgood December 10, 2016

"After suffering from general anxiety disorder (GAD) for 40 years, trazodone is a great drug to help me with anxiety and sleep. To help with GAD I went on a strict diet of no coffee and alcohol, also I limited me bread and sugar. This was the major tools for me against my fight with GAD. Also, I have not been able to have a deep restful sleep in many years. Typically, I would toss and turn all night long. The trazodone gives me a deep restful sleep every night. 200 mg. of Trazodone also helps me stay calmer and less anxiety during the day."

Rjy September 3, 2016

"Take 50mg at bedtime and rest well for a couple of hours then I I awake and have a bad time trying to get back to sleep. I sleep about an hour and go through the same thing again. I finally get back to sleep a couple hours later and get a couple more hours of sleep before awakening for the day."

87strong September 3, 2016

"I find it gets me to sleep, but my eyes are red and sore a lot of the time. Thinking of halfing my dose but been on it for 6 years now"

Mummum43 July 26, 2016

"I can sleep finally. Great drug! I take 100 mg and Ill not go up to 150 like my dr said because Im sleeping good enough now. I take Zoloft in the morning and after almost 7 weeks I feel better and less anxious. I give it an 8 because I had low blood pressure the first few days and still have a bit hang over in the morning."

diana1971 July 6, 2016

"I have bpd adhd anxiety and bit of parinoa, the first week of taking it I felt great but now I've got use to taking it now im still getting parinod at work that people are talking behind my back maybe I should go on a higher dose but I'm not to sure if it help paranoia or not"

Naomicat14 June 12, 2016

"Having taken this for a month I can say that it has been effective in relieving me of debiliating anxiety and made me a lot calmer. Highly effective for sleep. Side effects I've noticed are shaking, excessive sweeting, low appetite and a sort of 'hang over' in the morning. Began therapy recently which has helped and I would advise all other anxiety sufferers to try this too!"

SADob (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016