User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

"I was taking Xanax for many years to treat my anxiety. New guidelines, however, said I couldn't continue because of the pain medicines I take and fear of overdose. My doctor prescribed Trazadone. I was hesitant at first but I took it because I wasn't sleeping. It works great! I can't believe I like it even better than the Xanax! While on Xanax I still had anxiety but this med has really helped both anxiety and insomnia."

Nullery May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works very well for my anxiety as well as a bit for my depression. Definitely the best medicine I have ever tried for anxiety, even works better for me than Xanax with much less dangerous side effects."

samsdb May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazarone 50mg works for me great! I wasn't getting any sleep and was going thru anxiety, panic attacks and depression. This medication works wonderful."

Liri84 April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I took my dosage at bedtime it was wonderful as long as I didn't have to get back up in the deep sleep it puts me In. Which I desperately need. However I literally will sleep 12 hours straight or until someone wakes me up. So I may need to cut my dose in half. Luckily I am able to stay home or I would be fired."

Tracyg65 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They took me off valium after taking it for anxieties from a severe Traumatic brain injury while in the military. Now with there new rules they put me on trazodone for anxiety and wow its the worst thing a person can take. Read about all the dangers about the side effects from ssri's they are killing american vets especially. Please if you read this don't ever take a SSRI. I have done a lot of reading and found that antidepressants are horrible for a person. Even the scientist have said they made a mistake and they are not able to test the serotonin in a persons brain. So basically you are a guinea pig. They don't work and your addiction means no more sex!!! How can the drug companies make such a pill to help people when there the worst drug a person can take."

gothomas1 February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication several years ago for anxiety disorder and depression with serious insomnia. It worked like a charm to help me get a really good night's sleep and saved my sanity. I took it daily for about 2 years.. It really knocked me out, so that if someone woke me in the middle of the night I was pretty much incoherent and felt heavily drugged. I did feel alert and rested in the morning. Worst thing for me was a rare side effect that caused my bone marrow to stop producing white blood cells. A swollen lymph node resulted in a blood test, which showed no wbc's at all. Scared of cancer, but my doc told me to stop taking this drug and the tests afterward were back to normal. I suggest you get blood tests if on this med."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

"Not sure"

Tici 610 January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wrote another review under insomnia but it is caused by anxiety. Trazodone has helped me out although I also take Zoloft during the day and I seem to be much better as well as I sleep at night after years of insomnia and anxiety the combination I feel is working. Of course most people can't take Trazodone during the day and I initially had side effects and on the first night fell into my dresser after getting up to use the bathroom. Initial dose was 150 mg so right away I cut it down to 75mg. I still had side effects such as tremors in the morning for a couple of hours and stopped taking it. After going back to very little sleep I tried it again taking only 50mg. The tremors went away after a few weeks. Now all good.THUMBS UP. TRY A MONTH"

Dr. Philgood December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After suffering from general anxiety disorder (GAD) for 40 years, trazodone is a great drug to help me with anxiety and sleep. To help with GAD I went on a strict diet of no coffee and alcohol, also I limited me bread and sugar. This was the major tools for me against my fight with GAD. Also, I have not been able to have a deep restful sleep in many years. Typically, I would toss and turn all night long. The trazodone gives me a deep restful sleep every night. 200 mg. of Trazodone also helps me stay calmer and less anxiety during the day."

Rjy September 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take 50mg at bedtime and rest well for a couple of hours then I I awake and have a bad time trying to get back to sleep. I sleep about an hour and go through the same thing again. I finally get back to sleep a couple hours later and get a couple more hours of sleep before awakening for the day."

87strong September 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find it gets me to sleep, but my eyes are red and sore a lot of the time. Thinking of halfing my dose but been on it for 6 years now"

Mummum43 July 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can sleep finally. Great drug! I take 100 mg and Ill not go up to 150 like my dr said because Im sleeping good enough now. I take Zoloft in the morning and after almost 7 weeks I feel better and less anxious. I give it an 8 because I had low blood pressure the first few days and still have a bit hang over in the morning."

diana1971 July 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bpd adhd anxiety and bit of parinoa, the first week of taking it I felt great but now I've got use to taking it now im still getting parinod at work that people are talking behind my back maybe I should go on a higher dose but I'm not to sure if it help paranoia or not"

Naomicat14 June 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having taken this for a month I can say that it has been effective in relieving me of debiliating anxiety and made me a lot calmer. Highly effective for sleep. Side effects I've noticed are shaking, excessive sweeting, low appetite and a sort of 'hang over' in the morning. Began therapy recently which has helped and I would advise all other anxiety sufferers to try this too!"

SADob (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am very sensitive to medication. Even though I've been on almost every psychotropic drug since the age of 5. I take 25mg of Zoloft 1x a day and 25mgs of trazedone 4x a day for C PTSD, panic attacks, GAD, and insomnia. I had to quit taking my klonopin due to being pregnant and I thought I might end my life due to the panic attacks and constant dread. Surprisingly, trazedone during the day replaced the klonopin very well and didn't make me so tired to where I couldn't function like I was worried it might. It slowed my negative responses down and my heart rate down to where I wasn't in panic mode and it's without the more impulsive side effect some of the benzos can give you. I just feel calmer and happier but not like a different person."

Miss Mays (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great for getting to sleep and really cool dreams, however too many side effects. I didn't realize it because I was on a couple other drugs for anxiety, so I didn't know which one caused problems. After getting off it I stopped having constant a hot feeling or sweating at night, bowel problems, I thought I had some disease because I had diarrhea all day. I also felt apathy/depression. When weaning off it I felt dizzy and very confused. Had hypotension. Had trouble speaking."

Mamaluvschocolate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It have been effective w/all the symptoms that's associated w/anxiety"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to feel vaguely anxious all the time and acutely anxious some of the time -- and have trouble sleeping. Now, I feel some anxiety (which is natural if you are 65, single, childless, and have little money!) -- but I don't worry and obsess and make Plan A, B, C, D, and E the way I once did. I even feel confident that things will work out! And I sleep thorugh the night....I rarely have trouble falling asleep, so what I usually do is go to sleep & when I wake up in the night and can't back to sleep, take it then. This works like a charm for me. The only side-effects seem to be occasional dizziness.....Trazodone is WAY better than Elavil (HORRIBLE drug) and Lorazepam which kept me spaced out and unable to remember anything."

sleeplessandanxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In the last year I've lost my husband, my job, and as a result, I relapsed. Alot of stress, anxiety, and little sleep. I am now 6 months clean. Began taking trazadone 6 mos ago. After a few months it was not helping me long term. It would some what relax me, I'd fall asleep, but suddenly, I was awoke after about 3 hrs . After communicating that, I was told that because of my weight gain now weighing 198, height (5'3") that contributed to the non effectiveness, and the fact that on the end of my treatment, I was no longer taking some of the other meds. Anyways, once my dosage was increased to 100mg, and I've felt so at ease, and have slept through the whole night like a baby. Thank God for Trazadone, 2 thumbs up."

Sleepie Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking this around 3 months ago after the end of my marriage. I wasn't sleeping, had violent mood swings, really bad anxiety and bouts of tearfullness. I take 50mg at bedtime, it eases me into a gentle restful sleep with no groggy feeling in the morning. I'm a lot calmer and haven't killed anyone ;)"

Ruthywhiff December 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter (age 12) tried Lexipro for severe anxiety (school refusal etc.) The Lexipro made her hallucinate black blobs and become depressed in addition to anxious. The root of her problem was ADD/Dyspraxia and a Reading Disorder that led to numerous negative school experiences. After researching different medications, her PCP and I zoned in on Trazodone to help her sleep and relax. It changed my daughter's life. This med, in addition to a nurturing and small private school has made a huge difference. She's not only functional but she is happy--no more meltdowns--and she thrives socially and academically. (She is 100 lbs and takes 1.5 tablets each night.)"

HQ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using this drug for about 4 months to help combat insomnia and anxiety, and it works, but not in the best way... For insomnia, this is the ONLY drug that manages to knock me out for about 8 or 9 hours straight, but when you wake up the next morning, prepare to feel groggy and disoriented for at least 5 hours the next day, which is way to long to feel this way, IMHO. For anxiety, you don't feel ANY anxiety while on this drug, but that's because this drug makes you so groggy and tired that you can't really think of anything while on this drug. My advice, take this drug ONLY occasionally, not every night like I did. I'm quitting this drug tonight."

ihatetrazadone4life (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had bouts of severe and at times crippling anxiety for over 20 years. Though I mastered recognition of severe anxiety and can skip the ER realizing I cannot die from a panic attack, the effects would still bring me physically to my knees. I failed to respect the source of anxiety: depression. However, the SSRIs out today like Zoloft, etc, are bad on your brain and totally destroy your libido. You eventually are robbed of sleep and the problems spiral: blood pressure, obesity, apnea. Trazadone solves both problems for me, mental depression, physical insomnia. Side effects for me are: muscle spasms/weakness, balance problems, dry eyes, left side throbbing headache and some mania. Hopeful for the future."

Kevroy DC December 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this for sleep and to help elevate my mood. My prescription was for 25-50 mg at bed times, but I found it wasnt effective for sleep unless I took the entire 50. It worked well for sleep but I experienced many side effects. Some harmless like vivid dreaming, but mostly bad like teeth clenching, nose bleeds, severe nasal dryness and stuffiness, as well as appetite surpression and increased mood swings (mostly anxiety.) I ended up not wanting to tolerate these things and came off it after 3 weeks. It did not elevate my mood, however I may not have been on it long enough."

foreOdin November 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having battled anxiety and insomnia for years, and not wanting to take an addictive drug, trazodone has done wonders for me. I take 200 mg a half hour before bed and then light's out for 8 hours. I used to wake up groggy but that went away after three weeks. Best sleep aid I have ever had. Now, no more anxiety."

SleeplessinCT (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2015