User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 100 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 63% of those users who reviewed Trazodone reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

25% 25
2% 2
15% 15

Reviews for Trazodone

Zlinda · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

“I been taking trazodone for 2 days now and it works good for my anxiety and insomnia but when it about 9pm (when I take it again) I feel like my heart is pounding and it’s making me paranoid I think it’s the pill wearing off but still feels awful”

Gustavo Bldn · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2021

“razodone caused me tachycardia on the first day, it looked like I was going to have a heart attack. I've taken all kinds of medications of the kind and even anti-psychotic, but I didn't have the side effects that 100mg trazodone did to me.”

S · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2021

“At the beginning I was scared to use this drug as many people with anxiety are when they start new medications. I started with trazodone 12 mg with lorazepam and then 25 mg with lorazepam, then finally 50 mg without lorazepam. The 50 mg really helped with my sleep! I can finally fall asleep and stay asleep. You really need to give this medication time to work. It took about 1-2 weeks for it to work for me. At 50 mg it doesn’t help much with my anxiety but for sleep and appetite it’s been amazing. Life saving drug!”

Trazz January 16, 2021

“It has done wonders for my anxiety”

TurboTrace July 12, 2020

“50 mgs trazodone for 12 nights. Mirtazapine impacted liver readings. Positive: kick start weight loss, as weight loss stalled. Lost 2.5kgs in 12 days. Increased energy. Started to impact exercise as no sleep. Negative: pins/needles in hands; no sleep 1st night- racing heart; severe pain in liver area; headaches; severe diarrhoea; itchy palms/skin; manic elation; sweating. Doc said wean myself off; back to Mirtazapine: Day 1.Took 1/2 Trazadone/1/2 Miterzapine Trouble getting to sleep. Still diarrhoea, reducing. Day 2.1/4 Trazodone /1/2 Miterzapine To sleep almost immediately. Block of 5 hours; got up to toilet, back to bed, fell back to sleep-not happened for 2 weeks! Slept thru till 7.30,felt groggy in morning. 50 mins nap pm. Day 2.No Trazadone just 1/4 Miterzapine. Some discomfort liver area. Day 5.On Miterzapine fully. Sleep improving: 3-5 hours to 5-7 hours. No discomfort in liver area. Day 6. Felt groggy in morning for a couple of days. Sleep now regularly more than 8 hours ”

Momma90 · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“I got on trazodone just recently literally Day 3 at half a pill I will begin a full pill this weekend. I am on it for anxiety, depression, and lack of SLEEP !! Well, it has kept me WIDE AWAKE & miserable. I work 12 hour shifts almost DAILY so when I get off and tend to the home I wanna SLEEP, so I took this pill it did NOT help or MAKE ME SLEEP !! So disappointed !! My dr said it’s not normal for it to make you stay awake considering what’s in it to help you sleep !!! Calling dr back and I am going to STOP IT ASAP, while I can. - sincerely sleepy PARENT”

Greg · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

“I have mixed feeling about trazadone. It helped me a lot, and at that time it was a life saver for me. My insomnia, anxiety, depression just disappeared completely. Before that I had suicidal thoughts, I couldn't get out of the bed, I had social anxiety, panic attacks, but after trazadone I was already a functioning, happy human being. I started to go out with my friends again, I had motivation etc. So far so good BUT it had too many side effects... I needed to sleep like 10-11 hours, I was numb for hours after awakeing, I felt constant dizziness, my sex drive disappeared. And the withdrawal was tough... I had to reduce the amount very slowly. So basically nothing seriously bad, and it is still a decent antidepressant, but there are better SSRIs out there. It will sure help your depression/anxiety, but you will have to pay the price for that (that is true for every medicine btw)”

LUCY · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

“I have been using Nuzak for many years, started gaining weight and experienced some hair loss so my Dr prescribed Trazodone 50mg (30). I took my first pill last night before 8pm. Within 20 min's after taking the pill I started feeling a tingling sensation in my fingers, legs and feet. I looked at my husband and said there is something wrong with me. I then literally collapsed on the floor. HUBBY said I was unconscious for almost 10 min's . He explained that I felt cold and looked very pale and the weight of my body felt double than normal as he was trying to lift me up. Eventually I gasped for air and immediately started to vomit. I remember I felt weak and vulnerable (worst feeling ever)! ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

“I have been taking Trazodone for chronic insomnia and anxiety now for over 3 years. It helps me fall to sleep and lets me sleep quite well for about 7 hours. The only side effects I have noticed are mild headaches and slight dizziness after first taking it”

Middleoflife · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“I’m a 45 year old female who suffers from mild anxiety and mild depression but is also going through peri menopause. I went to my doctor suffering from insomnia due to night sweats from mid-life body changes but also from anxiety. Hormonal imbalances affect sleep. No fun but it is what it is. I was prescribed trazadone and take 50 mg 2 weeks during the month and I sleep like a baby. I do get dry mouth but an easy side effect to live with. The first night I took it my heart beat a bit weird but did not the 2nd night on. Additionally it has dialled down my anxiety and depression to barely noticeable levels. I think if it as Diet Lexapro.”

pastasalad January 14, 2020

“I started taking it about 3-4 months ago, at first I loved it and it helped me sleep through the night. It’s less effective at keeping me asleep but I now have terrible dizziness and vertigo during the day and have started having terrible panic attacks. I will be cutting my dosage in half and then I’m never taking this again.”

DeeZee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

“I started taking Trazodone as my anxiety was so bad it was keeping me from sleeping. I started small, taking only half of the 50mg pill, and worked my way up to a level I now take every night. I never exceed one and a half pills though, I found that if I take too much waking up the next morning is rough and I feel like a zombie. But all in all my sleep schedule has been regular since I started taking Trazodone. There are even some nights where I don't have to take it at all, especially since starting therapy. I enjoy the fact that Trazodone isn't addictive.”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

“Horrible. I'm in my twenties and trazodone 1) Does not help me sleep and 2) Zaps the energy right out of my body even after I wake up. It feels like when you have a really nasty cold and you're drained physically and emotionally; worst feeling ever.”

Homeboy44 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 13, 2019

“Trazodone is the only drug that manages periods of acute anxiety at night. I use it as required up to 200 mg at night and, fortunately, I haven't had any side effects.”

Klg · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2019

“I am on 150 mg of Zoloft per day to help me with anxiety. It helps. However, the 100 mg tablet of trazodone that I take nightly to help me sleep is a godsend! It stops my racing thoughts and feelings of panic. And now I sleep between six and seven hours per night. Such a relief. I hope it can help you too. By the way, I do get dry mouth. For myself, I feel it is a small price to pay for peace and rest. Do know that trazodone can have drug interactions with some people.”

Ck95 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 27, 2019

“Been on this drug trazodone for over 3 years for anxiety, insomnia and horrible IBS. I took this drug for granted when I decided with my doctors help to stop them. It’s been a month with some nights having 0 sleep, constant butterflies in my tummy, crying spells and bile and blood in my stool. The gut and brain do work together and I messed it up by stopping. Will be going back on this drug to sort it all out.”

Hammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

“I suffer from anxiety and now on 150 mg of trazodone, I’ve always had trouble falling asleep but these knock you out within half a hour and get a full nights sleep, what people forget is anxiety and depression can only be helped so much by taking any pills and requires some will power, I usually go on a 2 mile walk in the morning and in the afternoon, drink plenty of water and also helps me lose a little weight . The only side effects I’ve had is the bad dreams but I wake up and feel good during the day unlike when before I started taking them.”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“I was given a low dose of Xanax for panic attacks and 100 mg dosage of trazodone for the insomnia at night. The first night I took the 100 mg trazodone I had horrible night terrors and woke up often. The Xanax definitely helped but noticed my panic attacks were getting worse and more frequent. I eventually lowered the dose of trazodone to 50 mg a night and slept well and I found a massive reduction in panic attacks and overall felt better during the day.”

Ragged · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“For me it didn't help at all it gave me an increased sensation of fear took it for less then a week the effects of the fear lasted a month+ it was worse at nights nothing like sleeping with the lights on because the fear made me paranoid”

Anonymous October 7, 2019

“13 years ago, I was prescribed 100 mg at bedtime for insomnia and anxiety. Upon Awakening, I couldn't think straight. It was awful. So I discontinued it. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to request that my doctor prescribed trazodone again a 25 mg per night. I am a long time user of benzodiazepines. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe benzos. Quite frankly, I'm tired of the battle to get them. Not only that. My favorite is Xanax. Xanax is a brain cell Destroyer. I would like to keep what's left of my mind. The trazodone 25 mg at bedtime allows me to sleep through the night without anxiety and flashbacks . No lying awake tossing and turning reliving undesirable events in my history. My insomnia has been a lifelong condition. I have mostly self-medicated through the years. My Hope Is that I have found the right treatment at the right dosage. If they beneficial effects continue to last, I will stick with this.”

Lone · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

“This trazodone gave me severe anxiety over time, where I’d feel incredibly and intensely socially anxious when this wasn’t a true issue, it was general anxiety. It also had the issue of making me feel sleepy, but I could only sleep an hour then I couldn’t go back to sleep, the next day I would feel completely zombified and struggle to even move or do anything. It increases my heart rate a lot and doesn’t mix well with my ADHD medication.”

Bnicole · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2019

“I decided to share my experience because maybe someone somewhere is going through this. I was prescribed trazadone 50mg for anxiety and depression eventually my doses went up to 100mg and 150mg a day. The drug would sedate me put me to sleep. When I woke up my anxiety was 10 x worse I was scared my depression increased. Daily life activities stopped for months I became scared of living or taking care of my child. I had extremely bad brain fog, dry mouth, sleep terrors nightmares that would last hours, heart palpitations, but the worst feeling of all was the increased anxiety the feeling that I had some underlying medical condition that the Dr. Couldn't find, dizziness, shortness of breath, and suicidal thoughts feeling like I would never get better. All along it was the trazodone”

Sweetpea · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2019

“After a few minutes of taking this medicine I felt very heavy as if I was walking with weights also it made my heart pound. scared me I will not take this no more.”

karol777 · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

“ I feel no effect on the old thoughts, it is good for sleep, but depression, numbness, nothing much”

JEM May 7, 2019

“Trzodone takes away dreams and worries of the middle of the night, I had the best sleep I had for years, I take it every night before I go to bed, excellent drug”