User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Desyrel

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone

"Taken Trazodone for 12 years As needed for anxiety and sleep, 50 mg before bed. Helps me fall asleep fast with 5mg of melatonin ."

Billy (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2019

"So far anxiety has dropped, sleep is like REM all night, up and down to loo several times but back to sleep. No signs of depression lifted but early days. Problems are dizziness all morning, fatigue a lot, stomach issues. Waiting to see how many weeks to see what happens."

Vivienne louise (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

"It just didn’t help at all in getting me to sleep. I didn’t care for it at all. CLONAPIN helps."

Allo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2019

"Took large amounts of trazodone, between 100mg and 200mg to start but eventually I had overdose like symptoms like dry mouth and heart palpitations. I, myself decreased my dose to what I felt was right and haven’t had any problems since then. Significantly decreasing my dosage rather than slowly easing into taking less like the doctor would have me do didn’t have any negative effects luckily."

Lex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2019

"Help with sleep ."

Alam (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

"I had years of sleepless nights, anxiety, disassociative disorder, and panic. Trazadone calmed my brain and helped me rest! Without mania and with few side effects. I feel like a rock star again and am enjoying my life for the first time in years. Thanks Trazadone."

Killuh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2018

"If you want to wake up feeling groggy, drowsy and still tired then this is the drug for you!!. I was on this drug for 2 years. Yes it does sedate you, and yes your eyes close for the whole night but I never felt rested. Try Pregabalin instead. Far superior."

Click (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2018

"Been put on trazodone for anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and insomnia. Initially on 50 mg it helped with sleep and calmed nerves but for some reason felt irritable. I was then upped to 100 mg and am now having constant awful headaches, I now know why I was feeling irritable"

ejp (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

"I started taking 50 mg at night for sleep. I was told that for anxiety/ depression, the therapeutic dose is much higher. I disagree- I have noticed a difference, not just in my sleep, but in the way I think about things- more logically. Last night, I started to have extreme anxiety/ paranoia. I decided to take my dose early so I would be knocked out, ending the thoughts. It didn't knock me out- maybe it was too early to take it, or maybe I was too anxious. But it did help me calm down, think rationally, and I was able to focus more. I think it's great, If I'm tired and can't sleep, it knocks me out. If I don't need sleep and I'm getting anxiety, it calms me down and helps me think clearly- not like I'm high from from a benzo. I think this is a good med to try in different situations and see what / how/ when it works. Only bad thing: I skipped it one night, thinking because I had to be up earlier, I would be tired the next day. I had like a rebound effect- I was up ALL night.."

Krissy May 13, 2018

"I was prescribed 50mg to help me sleep better with chronic anxiety and possibly in a hypomanic state. I took the dose at 10pm. An hour later, I felt a big sluggish and was able to get into bed. Then, fifteen minutes later, my pulse sky rocketed and my heart started beating incredibly fast. I had tingly sensations in my neck chest and arms. I was wide awake until 4am and completely panicked and scared. I’ve been on tons of medications and never had this type of reaction. It felt like cocaine. I stopped taking it immediately."

Annieanxious (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I had really low expectations for trazodone, but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised! I have PTSD, trouble falling/staying asleep, and anxiety/panic during the day. I take between 12.5mg and 25mg of trazodone at night. It’s like a miracle drug for me. The side effects I’ve had are feeling a little zoned out (this has worn off over the past 3 weeks), less nervous eating, and occasional increased REM sleep. It’s important to take it early (by 10pm) otherwise I can feel groggy for many hours during the day. But it’s made my anxiety VERY manageable. I definitely wasn’t expecting it to work. There are no withdrawals or unpleasant side effects if I don’t take it. It works just as well as ativan or Xanax with fewer side effects (I don’t feel loopy). Very happy!!!"

Yorkiefsn886 March 22, 2018

"I'm very happy. I love trazodone. I have been taking Trazodone for about 1 year and it works for me with my sleep and depression and panic attacks. Trazodone 150mg works for me great!This medication works wonderful. From Romania"

Adi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

"My 13 year-old had such severe anxiety that she regularly refused to go to school. After taking Trazodone (50mg each night) her anxiety, hyper-sensitivity and morning vomiting stopped. She is now 15 and a very easy teenager in comparison to most. She is happy, has lots of friends and is getting good grades in school. She has a tougher skin and a maturity I never thought would come. This medication and a lot of love saved this girl. She is a little groggy in the morning but a cup of iced coffee easily fixes the fatigue."

JPSMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2018

"After taking the drug for 2 days and then on the 3rd day I was covered in hives and my lips were swollen."

Keywest78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2017

"I had been using lorazepam “as needed” to deal with early-morning anxiety/insomnia for about 3 years but worried about tolerance, so wanted to try trazodone, hoping also for help with erections (I’m 68). First night 25 mg did not help with insomnia (in fact made it worse) and caused brief nausea, but ZERO morning anxiety and 2 good erections. Next night insomnia returned to baseline, no nausea or other side effects, and no anxiety, but no more erections. Continued like this for 5 more nights. Then I tried 50 mg for 3 nights. First night insomnia was worse but otherwise the same effects. Next 2 nights saw next-day anxiety return, plus dry mouth, lightheadedness, weakness, and incoordination. Thinking of bailing."

skywheel (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2017

"Prescribed 150 mg for anxiety and unable to go to sleep. Took 1/2 tablet which was 75 mg. Started stumbling around soon after taking. Spent a sleepless night with the jitters, blurry vision, head felt like it was in a vice. Was 36 hours before I felt back to normal."

Mackaty (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

"I had terrible gastrointestinal issues with Sertraline and Lexapro, SSRI's, causing me more anxiety then helping. Trazodone does not impact my stomach, and I sleep really well on it, as I was having terrible night time panic attacks, those are gone and stomach is stable."

sfsbmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

"over the last 2 years anxiety, panic attacks, stress levels & insomnia have creeped in with vengeance. At first the Dr put me on mirtazapine which didn't work for me at all -awful side effects, it made me really restless, snappy & totally lowered my mood more then it already was before starting the medication. The Dr then put me on 50mg trazodone which so far I have only been using for 2 weeks. So far for me personally it hasn't worked any sort of wonders, the only way I can describe It is that I don't feel so much all over the place if that makes sense and unfortunately it hasn't helped with my sleep at all. But I'm only on my second week in, hopefully after another few weeks it might start to balance its self out."

Lu2017 (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

"I started off taking 25mg Trazodone and eventually worked my way up to 75mg which I was on for about 2 months. Trazodone worked great for helping me fall and stay asleep throughout the night without waking up from panic attacks. It made me feel relaxed and I never felt the need for Xanax which was the case prior to taking Trazodone. However, getting off Trazodone was rough. The first week off, I had two panic attacks at night even while on an SSRI. After that I became more stable but experiencing those few panic attacks after getting off wasn't fun."

Anxiety/OCD Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

"I am in my mid fifties and my anxiety has gradually worsened over the past 6 years or so. I'm now off work. I have tried a few meds but this is the most recent. I only took 50mg for 3 weeks. I found my sleep to be a little better and I seemed slightly less self conscious if that makes sense. The negatives far outweighed any benefits though. Within the first week I had lost my appetite and when I ate I would just bloat. I also got stomach pains. It basically shut my metabolism down. I have extreme headaches and dizziness as well and zero motivation. I have to say that I am one of those people that are very sensitive to medications so this drug may benefit some people"

Summercrash (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

"I was taking Xanax for many years to treat my anxiety. New guidelines, however, said I couldn't continue because of the pain medicines I take and fear of overdose. My doctor prescribed Trazadone. I was hesitant at first but I took it because I wasn't sleeping. It works great! I can't believe I like it even better than the Xanax! While on Xanax I still had anxiety but this med has really helped both anxiety and insomnia."

Nullery May 9, 2017

"Works very well for my anxiety as well as a bit for my depression. Definitely the best medicine I have ever tried for anxiety, even works better for me than Xanax with much less dangerous side effects."

samsdb May 1, 2017

"Trazarone 50mg works for me great! I wasn't getting any sleep and was going thru anxiety, panic attacks and depression. This medication works wonderful."

Liri84 April 29, 2017

"When I took my dosage at bedtime it was wonderful as long as I didn't have to get back up in the deep sleep it puts me In. Which I desperately need. However I literally will sleep 12 hours straight or until someone wakes me up. So I may need to cut my dose in half. Luckily I am able to stay home or I would be fired."

Tracyg65 April 21, 2017

"They took me off valium after taking it for anxieties from a severe Traumatic brain injury while in the military. Now with there new rules they put me on trazodone for anxiety and wow its the worst thing a person can take. Read about all the dangers about the side effects from ssri's they are killing american vets especially. Please if you read this don't ever take a SSRI. I have done a lot of reading and found that antidepressants are horrible for a person. Even the scientist have said they made a mistake and they are not able to test the serotonin in a persons brain. So basically you are a guinea pig. They don't work and your addiction means no more sex!!! How can the drug companies make such a pill to help people when there the worst drug a person can take."

gothomas1 February 18, 2017