User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I’ve been on this for about 10 years now ! Just in the past year I’ve experienced considerable weight gain !!!"

DB (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018

"This tends to leave me very lethargic during the mornings, also I tend to have vivid nightmares, I have stopped using trazodone because of these two reasons."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

"Been taking 100 mg a night for 4 years for insomia. Still works 7 out of 10 times. I have little or no morning hangover after a good 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Even skip a night now and then with no withdrawals. Remember people will have different reactions to Trazadone, this is just how it affects me."

Hailstormer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2018

"I'm VERY impressed with this medication and so grateful my doctor gave this to me. I take this primarily for insomnia, but also for moderate anxiety. There was a mild hangover effect in the first few weeks, but that subsided. The only thing that has really stuck around is I often feel dizzy when I stand up. This only came about once I started the medication and has been around ever since, so I'm pretty sure it's related. It only lasts a few seconds and then it's fine, but it can be annoying. But honestly it's still worth the amazing benefits. I was worried about building a tolerance to this medication as I've heard that can happen, however I've been on 50mg for 4 months now and the med still works great!"

Lovely1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

"I like the medication because it doesn't have many side effects. I hate the shape of this medication because I have gotten the pill stuck in my throat due to the sharp sides. Even cutting it the sides get sharper. Have they ever thought of making these pills a different shape?"

dodger58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2018

"The side effects are horrible. I've been using 150 mg for 10 months. I cut back to 100 mg four weeks ago and haven't been able to get past the withdrawal. I'm so sorry I ever tried this."

Terri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

"I've just started taking trazadone and I'm wondering if it causes weight gain"

Terri Hogan April 20, 2018

"I’ve suffered if insomnia depression and severe migraines since I was very young (around 7 the migraines and insomnia started but didn’t suffer major depression until my teens ) I never really believed in medicine so I never would follow up on migraine prevention medications and no pain killers stopped them . I’m 24 and just felt like it came to a point when it was hard with no sleep - I didn’t wanna leave my house and was so sad all the time. My doc now gives me trazodone 50 mg pretty low dose but now I’m sleeping getting less headaches and feel overall better . First got a few side effects like a GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) in the morning or very intense dreams but now it’s all cool. It’s worked for me but everyone has different brains chem balance right ?"

Nikki (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2018

"Wow this medication at the correct dosage is doing wonders for me! I had a moderate to severe brain injury & suffer anxiety, depression & insomnia. I tried 100mg. It sends me off to sleep quickly, leaving me slightly sluggish in the morning. What I love is that it’s not habit forming, so the dose I’m on I can stay on. My psychiatrist sees it as a long-term solution & I’m relieved & happy with that, after 16 years of terrible sleep. I’ve noticed no side effects except a dry mouth."

Jojo (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

"12.5 to 25 mg works like a charm to help me fall asleep. Not a ton of grogginess in the morning which is nice, although some."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

"It made me very lightheaded and dizzy the next morning. Worst feelings ever!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"I am in my early 40s. I have an underlying condition. Doctor gave me a prescription for Trazodone, and after not falling asleep for 5 days, I started on 2/16/18. 25MG was useless. I take 50MG per day. The side effects that (I am aware of) I experienced and continue to experience (depending on the day) include: Strange tingling feeling in the back of my head, headache, drastic change in personality (lost my old self), trouble in learning, restlessness. Initially I could really feel the sedation as soon as I take the pill, but I do not feel that anymore. Most nights I am drowsied up for an hour and a half or so, and then I "come to" and realize I am not sleeping. My problems could be from my own condition or from the medication. Given my condition, I would have gotten into the psychiatric ward already if I didn't get on this. I am staying on it (praying that it would continue to work for me) because I am not aware of any safer option. I hope this helps."

Think twice before you get on (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2018

"I was prescribed trazodone to help with insomnia for my Bipolar II disorder . I also take Vraylar. Trazodone did nothing for my sleep, and nothing for my depression. I only give it a 2/10 because I had few side effects. I know from experience, there are many superior meds out there for insomnia and depression, such as mirtazapine."

Dice33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

"Worst medicine I’ve taken yet!! I was prescribed this (1-3 pills as needed; 50mg a piece) around 2 weeks ago for insomnia due to bipolar disorder. Yes, it does make you fall asleep fast but the morning after is so rough. It gives you a hangover feeling the next morning. It made me dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous, etc.! I just thought that this was because it’s my first day and it’ll get better once I get used to it. IT NEVER GOT BETTER- JUST WORSE! Right now, I’m unemployed but I can’t imagine having to go to work in the morning after taking this the night before. Last night, I ended up taking two trazadone pills because I was so stressed with an upcoming job interview I could not go to sleep. I’m not sure if it’s the anxiety right now but even two pills couldnt keep me asleep! This morning, my mind seems very foggy and dull, extremely dizzy, heavy eyes. I can’t wait to go back to my doctor and tell her how awful this is!"

PussInBoots2410 March 7, 2018

"Under my Dr's care I started on 50 mg Trazodone about 5 years ago due to insomnia, which I struggled with and self medicated for most of my adult life. About 3 years ago I went to 100 mg, 2 years ago I went to 200 mg because I thought it had stopped working all together as I would spend hours tossing and turning. It was getting to the point where I started getting some bad symptoms due to sleep derogation. Just 3 days ago I was talking with a friend who is on T. as well. I shared my experience with her and she suggested I take it 2 hours before bed time as I was taking it just before bed. Thinking she was nuts I tried it any way. To my surprise it worked and is getting much better, like in the beginning. I started having reservations about this drug that worked so well for years. So I give this med. a high rating because it works very well for me, when I take it correctly. When and why I stopped taking it as directed I don't know but I am glad to get things back on track."

Anonymous February 26, 2018

"I used trazadone for sleep in the past then I stopped using it. I started struggling with my sleep again and I took 100mg and made me feel dizzy and this weird sensation in the back of head. It was an awful feeling and I couldn't fall asleep at all. I will never try it again. ...."

katobiscuit February 16, 2018

"The ZQ medicine kept me wide awake and caused RLS symptoms. Trazodone was awesome from the first night. I slept for 7.5 hours and got up before the alarm. That has not happened for over 10 years. Normally I would take OTC night drugs and just stare at the ceiling half of the night. Snooze was my companion for at least an hour. On another note, my personality felt like an old man with Effexor, and Trazodone brought me back out of my shell. This was the perfect combination for me and I never had a clue. I just thought I was turning into a grumpy old man."

Ed___ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

"Been taking trazodone for over a year now to help me sleep. I cut a 50 mg tablet in half and take at night. I’m extremely sensitive to meds but have zero side effects from this. I wake up in the morning feeling fully awake, no drowsiness. I have no complaints about this, which is something, as I avoid taking meds if at all possible. The good night’s sleep I get is well worth it. I wouldn’t recommend taking even a low dose with alcohol, though."

SKCR February 13, 2018

"Trazodone seriously saved me. I was given it for primarily insomnia and but also anxiety. My insomnia was so bad that I was staying up for days at a time, would cry at night trying to sleep, and it'd take me 3-4hrs to finally drift off into a very light sleep so when I woke up I was still miserable. I've been taking this for just over a month and I cannot believe how much better my sleep is. I don't even remember my head hitting the pillow. I'd guess I'm asleep within 5-10min. It's not like this makes me exhausted either, it just makes me feel a little relaxed. And I only need to sleep like 5-7hrs and feel amazing the next day! I had the hangover for about 3-4 days then it was gone. I used to dread going to bed and stress over it, and now I have absolutely NO problems. Please give this drug a try!"

anon12_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

"There is nothing worse than not sleeping. Trazodone helps me fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. Even if I have to get up to the bathroom, I fall right back asleep. I wake up easily without an alarm. It is inexpensive and covered by insurance. The only drawbacks are vivid dreams (mostly good ones) and sweating. The advantages far outweigh the drawbacks for me!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2018

"I've had insomnia as far back as I can remember which I've treated wonderfully with marijuana. Since I've recently moved South and am job searching I had to quit. Started having THE WORST periodic bouts of not sleeping for 3-7 days and would even start hallucinating...started Benadrly but quickly grew a high tolerance. This is only day 3 on Trazadone 50mg and it finally kicked in great :) Weird dreams. Definite hangover so heed the warning about taking it early- I didn't and felt messed up until late afternoon. It was so easy to fall asleep though! An athlete that runs early mornings so hopefully if I take it early I'd imagine minimal grogginess that problem diminishes with prolonged use. Good luck guys!"

Akkenz907 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"I’ve been taking this for 3 weeks and it doesn’t help at all for my insomnia or my anxiety. I take 150 mg but it still doesn't work. When I first started taking it, it made me really paranoid but still didn't help me sleep."

mphinney January 19, 2018

"I started on 100mg a couple months ago. I wanted to start off slow, but my psych said no because I suffer from bipolar (BP). She said lower doses can cause agitation in BP patients. I now take 150mg. It's a good med. Puts me to sleep in 45 minutes and keeps me asleep. Maybe a slight grogginess in the morning, but that's it. It also helps tons with daytime anxiety. I do get nauseous right after taking it and am forced to eat a little something. I don't like eating at night, but I'm very thankful for its benefits. Also, if you feel drunk when you lie down in bed, it means your dose needs to be higher. Don't be afraid of it in higher doses. Just have to figure out the right dosage for you."

BBP007 January 18, 2018

"I've taken trazadone for 4 years for insomnia. I started with 50mg then moved up to 300-400mg/night, it was 400mg then I started taking other drugs and lowered to 300mg. It still works decent enough, but there IS a brand that doesn't work at all for me, I specifically have to get Teva brand to make sure the pharmacy doesn't give me the one that doesn't work."

Anonymous January 17, 2018

"Before Trazodone I could only sleep for 3 hours at a time, and wake up feeling anxious, heart racing, sweats,etc. After about one week on Trazodone, I now can sleep through the night or maybe only wake up once in the middle of the night but no anxiety and can immediately go back to sleep. It’s definitely worth a try."

PTSDNavyWoman January 13, 2018