User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I started taking trazadone 9 year ago. It really worked when I first started using it. I started off with 50 mg. Over the years my tolerance increased. Now my dr has me on 500mg. It no longer helps me sleep through the night. On a good night I’m up every two hours, and on a bad night I just don’t sleep. I never wake up feeling rested. Just hung over and nauseous. I feel like I have a bad hangover. I used to be a dedicated athlete, now I’m sick when I get out of bed in the morning. Most days I can’t train because I haven’t had proper sleep. I’m done with trazadone."

Fins87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication did not work for me at all. I still have trouble sleeping and I cannot sleep even with this medication. I am on the 50mg dosage, seems like I need something stronger."

Hello kitty 08 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While this drug worked in terms of making me tired, I was woken and spent a good portion of the night fighting off sleep paralysis and horrendous nightmares of my kids having died...so for me, the purpose was defeated. Now, this may work for you, so please don't let my experience scare you away. I want to just point out what MAY happen. Good luck, and hopefully, good sleep to all of you."

jend1028 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a couple of days it helped me stay asleep (I used to wake up after a couple hours of sleep and be up all night). I didn't have bad dreams, but I did have extremely vivid, kinda weird dreams, which took some getting used to. However after a while (3 or 4 months), the effectiveness waned. I started with 50 mg and never went beyond 100mg."

Scooter1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Minimal positive effect. Erratic performance."

ReservedGene (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am trying 50 mg and after 3 nights it really kicked in and the minimal side effects went away. I take it for sleep. It has been aslight learning curve. Now I take it around 8pm and go to bed around 10pm and that way I fall asleep wonderfully I am hopeful it will keep working .."

A female (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This worked well for my chronic insomnia for several years, minimal side effects, then I developed tolerance and eventually the doc jacked the dose up to the max (for hospitalized patients!) . I ended up hopelessly dependent on trazodone (as in addicted) and had to go through brutal, prolonged detox. I would guess doses of 150 mg and below are likely not a problem for dependence, but if you need more than that, I would go a different way. And never escalate the dose the way I did. That way madness lies."

RJPKelly (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor prescribed Trazodone, in conjunction with Temazepam, to allow me to sleep longer. It made me highly irritable after the first four nights, so I quit taking it and the irritability ceased two days later."

Meathead41 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug really worked for me. I have been taking 100 mg for my insomnia for 3 years, along with 20mg of lexapro for depression. I used to stay up til it was light outside and could not sleep at all. I was miserable. Now, if I forget to take the trazedone it's the same thing since its non habit forming. All in all, this drug worked for me and still does after 3 years."

Rachhhh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor prescribed 50 mg for insomnia (with anxiety). She said I could increase the dosage if necessary. I have tried the prescribed dosage four times. Three of the four times I had nightmares to the point of screaming aloud. One time, my husband could not wake me up. The next mornings I do not feel good; I do not feel rested. I am not going to use this Rx anymore but asking the doctor for an alternative."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This will be my second night on 150mg trazodone for Insomnia and mdd that my doctor prescribed after amitryptine, fluoxetine, citalopram, quetiapine and venlafaxine didn't work for me. Venlafaxine was the best of the lot as it kept my anxiety away for some time but it just gave me a nasty dose of the insomnia. Doctor thought trazodone may work for my both conditions so as I said this is my second night, it hasn't helped my insomnia 1 little bit. Am I to wait a few more days for the sleepiness to kick in? Other comments are really appreciated"

Toughppllast (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried every drug and mixture of drugs to help me sleep. Ambien worked for a few months and then quit. Seroquel had me doing weird sleepwalk things. The others didn't work at all even when taken with other drugs also. Then I tried trazadone and what a lifesaver! I thought it would take a lot so I started with 200 mg. About a year later, I tried just 100 mg and it works just fine. It's about 8 years later and it still works as though I just started taking it. Thank you trazadone!!!"

kcbeachgal September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on trazodone for a month now after 11 years of insomnia. It has been a life saver I have really bad anxiety and my mind races at night but with this medicine I fall asleep within 15 minutes, and stay asleep through out the night."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was given this pill by my doc for insomnia. I took the pill at 10:30 pm, was very drowsy by 11:15 pm but was also unable to fall asleep. The severe drowsiness lasted about 2 hours, yet I was unable to sleep. I got up to move around until I thought I could sleep, and felt off balance and mentally a bit out of it. Finally fell asleep at about 1:30 am, and woke at 7:30 am feeling awful. Still at 9 am I feel a bit out of it, but most of all I am absolutely exhausted. The sleep wasn't good, in fact it was a terrible experience. I will not take this ever again."

Tired in LA September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Trazadone 50mg after being diagnosed with depression and anxiety plus insomnia in January. I have been seeing my GP for four years on and off with insomnia and twice a year would leave the surgery with a few diazepam for a couple of nights sleep. Then an epiphany moment came whilst reading a magazine, my insomnia was caused by the menopause! Trundled back to my GP who did blood tests which established that although young at 43 I was in fact well and truly into the menopause. My Trazadone dose went from 50 to 100mg and then to 150mg at bedtime. I have been taking this dose now for six months and have not noticed any improvement in my sleep. I constantly wake between 3 and 4am every night unless I take one Lorazepam tablet?"

simplythebesters September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible side effects, I lost a ton of weight, I throw up all the time, have diarrhea - all the time. I am slowly stopping to take this medicine."

Army77 September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gives me a headache daily each morning. When I take it my brain feels heavy, I don't like the feeling."

562calikidLA September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medicine I have ever tried. It gave me the worst migraine I've ever had they lasted 13 hours. I had to call out of work and I couldn't move or get out of bed. No medicines worked and I was vomiting."

Memorleti September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took trazadone for nearly 15 years to help me sleep and loved it. I feel asleep within 30 minutes and didn't feel crumby the next day. After all of that time I suddenly had a side effect that I couldn't stand and had to get off of it. Every time I took it I suddenly felt completely congested and couldn't breath through my nose. (This is a rare side effect listed with this medication). My mouth would be so dry and sometimes I'd even wake up feeling like I was choking. I'm so grateful it worked for so long and wish j could still take it. I can't find that same rest with anything else I've been trying."

So helpful for so long... (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 50 mg of Trazadone for over a year now. I think it's awesome! I was prescribed it for insomnia, I have had insomnia since high school and I'm talking BAD insomnia, like 3 hours or less a night. I could not cope any more. I also have depression and anxiety, so I take 37.5 mg of Paxil everyday. I take the Paxil in the am and the Trazadone at night. When I take my normal dose of T. I wake up fine, not hungover, sick or anything. The ONLY time I feel yuck when waking up is if I have tried to cut the T. down, which I have tried. I don't like the withdrawals at all, I would rather take these pills for life then suffer the withdrawals. I believe the T has also helped me with my depression."

Finally Sleeping! August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on trazadone for short time I have not found it effective for sleep. Taken off Ambien which put me right to sleep but can't say the same for trazadone. I take 100mg yet I can't seem to fall asleep. I get dry mouth and stuffy nose. Sorry trazadone"

Ziggy89 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300mg of Trazodone for sleep, 200 mg Zoloft for depression plus medication for anxiety. Well the trazodone works for about 4 - 5 hours then wide awake. I don't think that Zoloft is working right anymore but will have to wait until I go back to mental health to chat about both. In the mean time just have to get by and avoid people."

z89013 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Zanex to help me sleep. Usually took it every other night. My new NP wanted me to switch to trazodone. Absolutely no help! In fact, it has made falling asleep 10 times worse. Last night I took it at 9:45. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:45! No more for me!"

Party Cake (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About an hour after taking it, I feel very drowsy and able to sleep for a couple hours, maybe 3-4 hours but it also made me have strange dreams and I'd wake up extremely hungry, having to get up out of bed to eat in the middle of the night. Not worth it, in my opinion. Going back to taking Melatonin."

AB92 August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Trazadone for 2 months for insomnia and traumatic nightmares associated with PTSD and depression. Helps me somewhat in falling asleep, but I still can't stay asleep. Wake up repeatedly during the night with awful nightmares. When I wake up the next morning (11 hours after taking 50mg) I am unsteady on my feet, sometimes fall. Exhausted all day. Feeling more depressed and despairing (also taking fluoxetine 40mg)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017