User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone

Matvei · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

“Worthless for me, no effect on insomnia at all but had some of the side effects (hangry, fat, grumpy). Also managed to get serotonin syndrome when I paired this with doxepin, so it wasn't just a Tic Tac: I got restless legs, racing heart, and very high blood pressure (165/110, my norm is like 105/65). This does seem to work for a lot of people, though - my wife runs a care home and trazodone is the first line prescription to put people with psychiatric issues to sleep. Did nothing for me, so obviously YMMV.”

Krz · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

“I have taken trazadone for two weeks. I have emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD) but was put on it for insomnia. Yes I'm sleeping much better on 50mg but effects are wearing off. Have weird dreams about work but at least I'm sleeping. The main effect has been my anxiety. I used to worry about everything but now I'm so calm and bubbly like I used to be. It's helped more for mood and anxiety which is not what it was prescribed for but I'll take it. Issue though: constipation”

Leese · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2020

“In the beginning trazodone did work. 60 pounds later not so much. I haven’t slept for days”

Felo0627 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

“I started trazodone at 150mg for insomnia April 22. The side effects I experienced were dry mouth, mild headache, dizziness, nervousness and shakiness. Told my primary doctor about it so he lowered my dose to 100mg after three weeks. I’ve been on the new dose since May 15 and I still feel the same side effects. I actually feel my anxiety getting worse as I wake up in panic and I can feel my heart beating fast. I love that I’m able to sleep but I hate the side effects. I really don’t want to take it anymore but I’m scared of stopping it. Anyone else experiencing this? Please help.”

Stella · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

“Took 50 mg trazodone for insomnia, it took about 45 mins to kick in. I've had over 8 hours sleep for 3 nights in a row. I Haven’t had sleep like this in months and months. I've been trying to function on 3 or 4 hours sleep. Now I’m starting to feel like my old self again. After reading some reviews I will share what the pharmacist instructed me to do, I have not had any side effects. Take 30 mins before bed, with a snack, more than a couple of crackers but obviously not a heavy meal, stay upright for those 30 mins. Pharmacist said it will bother my stomach if I don’t. No issues whatsoever. Feel rested and not groggy at all the next day.”

barababie · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2020

“I was on this medication for sleep and to help my daytime fatigue. 50 mg/night. It didn't work and gave me horrible panic attacks. 0/10”

MissFit · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

“I was having severe insomnia and my doctor recommended Trazadone. I despised it: I had such brutal and unpleasant nightmares, there were some nights I screamed so loud, I woke my family up. I tried some other dosages and had the same problem...oh, and weight gain was another problem and I'm not a big eater at anytime. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone.”

kuno1978 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

“I tapered down from 100mg to 25mg until stopping. Withdrawal is awful and consists of extreme anxiety, horrendous nausea with vomiting, and stomach pain. Absolutely not worth it in my opinion”

Barb May 3, 2020

“trazodone does not work at all. It's like a sugar pill for me. Haven't slept in 2 days. I have bipolar disorder.”

Gardengirl May 2, 2020

“Prior to Covid19, I was taking 10mg Melatonin and it wasn’t working for post menopause sleep issues. The weekend that “Lockdown” began, I didn’t sleep for 3 days straight & rapid weight loss. My PCP put me on trazodone and it was a miracle for me. Instructions said 1-2 for insomnia so I have just been taking 1 at bedtime. I go to bed @ 9pm and get up every morning at 4am wide awake. 40 days later it’s not working as well so I may increase to 1.5 and see if that helps. I’m 5’3” and 123 # for reference if that helps. I’ve only had 3 morning headaches which Advil took care of but I forgot to drink H2O those days prior. I could not have made it this far through Covid19 lockdown without it.”

Tlu · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“At first this drug worked ok as it made me sleep half decent. I fell down the stairs so take your time waking up. After about two months, I wasn’t sleeping as good and suddenly I was obsessed with dying. My kids kept me pushing through until I warned myself off. Those thoughts left after a while. So scary.”

Susie q · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

“I have been taking Trazodone for severe insomnia for 10 months. I take 100mg nightly. It has literally saved my life. I notice that many of the reviewers that write negatively about the drug are taking other medications at the same time. This could cause bad interactions. I can never thank my doctor enough for matching me up with a non addictive sleep aid after suffering from the dreadful affliction of insomnia for so many years.”

Katrina · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 26, 2020

“I have been taking trazodone for about a year and it has really helped with my chronic insomnia but it definitely comes at a price. I feel very tired the next day that doesn't really go away unless I'm drinking caffeine. The only other side effect I have had is mild headaches but thats it. I was taking 50 mg but now i take anywhere between 75-100 mg due to building up a tolerance. I would only recommend this drug to someone (like myself) who has tried every other type sleep aid and it did nothing for them and also sufferers from things like anxiety and depression.”

Anonymous February 24, 2020

“Took this trazodone medication in my adolescent and I don't know what it did because I don't really remember anything but the fact that I wasn't myself, I was almost in a zombie state I'm now 26 and back on the medication it working wonders great sleep and beautiful happiness during the day. One thing I will say please make sure u have a lot of food and u are eating healthy by healthy I mean pork chops steak veggies etc or this medication will not be in your favour. Also don't take too much of any drug u will become tolerant. Start with a low dose and keep it low - 100 mg is too much ”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2020

“Very good medicine. Helps with sleep. Also I feel more happy and relaxed the following day. I am very sensitive to medicine. I take a 100 mg and literally break off a tiny piece( probably not even 25 mg). That does the trick! Highly recommend to anyone for sleep / anxiety or depression”

Skippy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2020

“Works great for sleep. Tried Ambien, Melatonin, others. With Trazodone I fall asleep about 30-60 minutes after taking and wake in morning feeling refreshed. No side effects. If need to be awake no problem. Prescribed by a “natural” doc who does not like anti-depressants but swears by this for sleep issues which are very common for menopausal woman.”

Lindsay · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

“I took 100 mg one time for insomnia. I wasn’t able to fall asleep right away because it caused mucus in my throat along with loud wheezing every time I took a breath. Then the next day I was groggy the entire day up until bedtime. I’m throwing away the rest of the prescription.”

MM · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 15, 2020

“Hi there. I'm mostly leaving this review not to tell you that this prescription works for me (which it does. Been on it for years and have had no side affects. 50mg to 100mg) but to tell you to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Each person's body reacts differently to medications because our internal makeup is incredibly unique. If you've been prescribed this medication, give it a go for a week or two and if it doesn't work go back to your dr and try something else. Just don't let these reviews scare you out of trying it (or any other prescription for that matter). What is one person's "poison" is another person's "savior".”

Kiki · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“I have had insomnia due to OCD and anxiety for some time. I was taking Flurazepam with mixed results, but it was taken off the market. My psychiatrist prescribed Trazodone 50 mg as a replacement. I only took it one night because it gave me a migraine and nightmares. I also had a stuffy nose and felt so groggy the next day I assumed I picked up a cold or the flu. After reading these reviews I am now assuming it was a side effect of the drug.”

TrikeMike · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2020

“Dr. wants me off of Ambien, gave me Trazodone 50mg tabs. Was told to try one then two if needed. One didn't do anything so I took another. Couldn't sleep all night, ended up with the worst sinus headache I've had in years. Had bad veritago all the next day and was groggy. Couldn't drive today so had to stay home. I'll try it again but will take only one and much earlier, then decide. Not for everyone.”

Sleepy 1 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

“I was prescribed Trazodone 50mg for insomnia and trouble falling asleep at bedtime. I have taken it at bedtime ..approximately 10pm...for a week now. I still do not get to sleep until 2 or 3 am. I have not noticed any side effects, it just does not work for me. At all!”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“Absolutely horrible medication. Literally felt like poison. I took it and I felt like I was going to be the end of me, the room was spinning, my heart was beating so fast. I felt “brain zaps” (the feeling of electricity pulsing through your brain) I also felt major anxiety and nausea. Do not take this medication!”

Katie · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

“Was prescribed 50mg trazodone to sleep as my ADHD medication elvanse and dexamphetine cause insomnia. The 50mg dose had no effect but since taking 100mg I have had no sleep problems at all”

Jarbles · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

“I felt like this had a bad rep for turning people to zombies. No such luck for me. Pdoc thought it would do double duty to get me some sleep and maybe help with the depressive end of mood swings. I took it for one week and it kept me awake every night with a cloudy headachy mind. I couldn’t even read, it made me feel so dumb for about 7 hours. And then had to face another work day with no sleep. I tried it again a year later under another pdoc and it clogged up my sinuses so bad, I had to manually breathe out my mouth all night. No good.”

Anonymous January 31, 2020

“I have never had insomnia before or been prescribed anything for insomnia. But then I couldn't sleep so my doctor prescribed me this, to take half a 50 mg pill as need, before bed. Well, I could not tell a difference in anything when I took a half a pill. I didn't fall asleep faster and I still woke up in the middle of the night a couldn't fall back asleep for a few hours. So, I tried a whole pill, still couldn't tell I had taken anything, didn't fall asleep faster and still woke up in the middle of the night. I did not experience any bad side effects, it just did not work for me. I quit taking it. I don't see the point if it doesn't work for me. I guess, I will just learn to live with insomnia, tell the doctor it does nothing for me.”

Learn more about Insomnia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)