User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I started taking Trazadone 50mg after being diagnosed with depression and anxiety plus insomnia in January. I have been seeing my GP for four years on and off with insomnia and twice a year would leave the surgery with a few diazepam for a couple of nights sleep. Then an epiphany moment came whilst reading a magazine, my insomnia was caused by the menopause! Trundled back to my GP who did blood tests which established that although young at 43 I was in fact well and truly into the menopause. My Trazadone dose went from 50 to 100mg and then to 150mg at bedtime. I have been taking this dose now for six months and have not noticed any improvement in my sleep. I constantly wake between 3 and 4am every night unless I take one Lorazepam tablet?"

simplythebesters September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible side effects, I lost a ton of weight, I throw up all the time, have diarrhea - all the time. I am slowly stopping to take this medicine."

Army77 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gives me a headache daily each morning. When I take it my brain feels heavy, I don't like the feeling."

562calikidLA September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medicine I have ever tried. It gave me the worst migraine I've ever had they lasted 13 hours. I had to call out of work and I couldn't move or get out of bed. No medicines worked and I was vomiting."

Memorleti September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took trazadone for nearly 15 years to help me sleep and loved it. I feel asleep within 30 minutes and didn't feel crumby the next day. After all of that time I suddenly had a side effect that I couldn't stand and had to get off of it. Every time I took it I suddenly felt completely congested and couldn't breath through my nose. (This is a rare side effect listed with this medication). My mouth would be so dry and sometimes I'd even wake up feeling like I was choking. I'm so grateful it worked for so long and wish j could still take it. I can't find that same rest with anything else I've been trying."

So helpful for so long... (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 50 mg of Trazadone for over a year now. I think it's awesome! I was prescribed it for insomnia, I have had insomnia since high school and I'm talking BAD insomnia, like 3 hours or less a night. I could not cope any more. I also have depression and anxiety, so I take 37.5 mg of Paxil everyday. I take the Paxil in the am and the Trazadone at night. When I take my normal dose of T. I wake up fine, not hungover, sick or anything. The ONLY time I feel yuck when waking up is if I have tried to cut the T. down, which I have tried. I don't like the withdrawals at all, I would rather take these pills for life then suffer the withdrawals. I believe the T has also helped me with my depression."

Finally Sleeping! August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on trazadone for short time I have not found it effective for sleep. Taken off Ambien which put me right to sleep but can't say the same for trazadone. I take 100mg yet I can't seem to fall asleep. I get dry mouth and stuffy nose. Sorry trazadone"

Ziggy89 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300mg of Trazodone for sleep, 200 mg Zoloft for depression plus medication for anxiety. Well the trazodone works for about 4 - 5 hours then wide awake. I don't think that Zoloft is working right anymore but will have to wait until I go back to mental health to chat about both. In the mean time just have to get by and avoid people."

z89013 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Zanex to help me sleep. Usually took it every other night. My new NP wanted me to switch to trazodone. Absolutely no help! In fact, it has made falling asleep 10 times worse. Last night I took it at 9:45. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:45! No more for me!"

Party Cake (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About an hour after taking it, I feel very drowsy and able to sleep for a couple hours, maybe 3-4 hours but it also made me have strange dreams and I'd wake up extremely hungry, having to get up out of bed to eat in the middle of the night. Not worth it, in my opinion. Going back to taking Melatonin."

AB92 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Trazadone for 2 months for insomnia and traumatic nightmares associated with PTSD and depression. Helps me somewhat in falling asleep, but I still can't stay asleep. Wake up repeatedly during the night with awful nightmares. When I wake up the next morning (11 hours after taking 50mg) I am unsteady on my feet, sometimes fall. Exhausted all day. Feeling more depressed and despairing (also taking fluoxetine 40mg)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Who's bright idea was to make this pill asymmetrical?? I can't even break the damn thing in half. And with its weird shape, it never fails to get painfully stuck in the back of your throat."

Lololomeowsie August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I suffer from depression, OCD and anxiety.. I have been on sertraline (Zoloft) which has helped with everything but hasn't helped with all the anxiety (evening and morning anxiety.. I have problems turning my mind off at night).. I also have had sleeping issues for years and my zoloft made it worse. My Primary Care Physician prescribed Trazadone to take before bed. I sleep so well when I take it, but I have to take it early enough or I can't wake up in the morning. It knocks me out and I do get a restful sleep but lasts in my body for a good 10 hours.. So I have to be aware of when I am taking it at night. If it is too late then I don't take it.. Thus I don't get a restful sleep, but at least I'm not late to work. Overall I recommend it."

Jewella (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on many medications for anxiety and depression. I have struggled with sleeping as long as I can remember. Not only could I not fall asleep but I also could not stay asleep. I found myself unable to focus, not putting my best foot forward, and falling asleep in my morning classes. When my doctor put me on trazodone my life flipped around. I was a happier person. I currently take 100mg every night before bed. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. While I do believe that sometimes it may cause me to be tired in the morning it was well worth the trade off. I hope this can help someone in my past situation."

54926 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 50mg Trazodone for sleep issues and have found it actually preventing me from getting to sleep. I have a feeling of being "wired", have weird dreams when I finally get to sleep (but not for long periods) and have a generally drugged feeling in the morning when getting up. I have discontinued using it and notified my doctor."

DXT (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Traz 50mg for insomnia. I broke it in half and then in half again, so I took about 12.5 mg. It worked wonders for sleep! The only issue is crazy dreams, however it is worth it to get good Quality sleep. I also am not taking it every night. In the past I tried 50mg and it caused me to feel terrible, and did not help with sleep either because of that. 12.5 mg seems perfect for me. I am sleepy in the morning but that wears off after a couple of hours. Then I have more energy than I have had in years!"

Magg2017 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my experience with trazodone (everyone is different). I had auditory hallucinations like music was playing in my head when no radio was going. I was on 100 mg and I couldn't fall asleep at night at all on it, it actually made me hyper in a sedated way, so I was sleepy but full of energy. And very hung over the next day. Flu like symptoms, excessive sweating and increased anxiety. No motivation to do anything, just felt like a zombie. I start myself weaning off tonight, I'm so ready to be off of the med. Not right for me!"

Gachick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi. I am diagnosed with MDD, GAD panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, and borderline personality. I currently take Prozac/Fluoxetine 20mg a day, Klonopin/Clonazepam 1mg twice a day. I have always had trouble sleeping due to my conditions, especially anxiety. I have tried ambien, seroquel, remeron and Restoril. I got prescribed trazodone when I went to rehab for Heroin. I'm now 1 1/2 years clean, and trazodone has been a miracle. I take 100mg of it at bedtime, and it makes very relaxed and sleepy. I sleep for 6-8 hours, it boosts my Prozac to work even better, and it gives me back my sex drive. Only cons are it's a little rough starting it, and it gives you dry sinuses. I would really recommend to any insomniac who also has depression/anxiety."

Mentally interesting (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone has been very effective in helping me fall asleep. I go to sleep approximately one-half hour after taking it. I have had no side effects that I am aware of."

drgill (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 50 mg of trazodone for almost 2 years in addition to Lexapro. It worked for putting me to sleep, however I am positive it was slowly making my depression worse. It started with just feeling down and tired in the morning, to eventually turning me into a suicidal zombie for most of the day. I was scared that my depression had worsened, and that I would not be able to handle it. Work, family, everything had gotten very difficult to handle. I noticed that it was the worst in the morning, and finally put two and two together and decided to quit the trazodone. Within a few days, my condition GREATLY improved. Beware of the medication, and any antidepressant for that matter."

green72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from anxiety/depression and recently started taking Zoloft. I was having sleep issues prior and even worse sleep issues after taking Zoloft. Been on just about all the sleep meds there are out there except for Trazadone. The doc prescribed it and the first several nights my sleep was rocky and I'd get up in the morning with a pounding head ache and some dizziness and confusion. I stayed the course for a couple weeks and I do have to say it works great! I was on 50mg for a week and the doc told me to increase to 100mg after a week. I never had to do that and now I only need about 25mg for it to take effect and allow me to sleep. I believe a lot of people lose patience cause I'm guilty of it. I would recommend staying on the course."

Jbolt202 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr prescribed this for my insomnia. Took 50 mg last night, felt drowsy and was hopeful I would sleep. Kept waking up every hour or so, then falling back asleep. Woke up with a horrible headache, felt disoriented, dizzy, and like I was really badly hungover. Won't be trying trazodone again - ever!"

Psychodiva (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely did not work for me. Slept for a short time at 50 MG (lowest dose) & anything above that gave me a terrible headache the following morning. I tried it in lieu of Dalmane & a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm newly on Cymbalta (still at 30mg) and experiencing insomnia. Doctor put me on Trazodone (50-100) to help the sleep issues. Last night, I took one 50mg Trazodone. Felt sleepy within 30 minutes, but not enough to sleep. Doc had said I could use 0.5-1mg Ativan with it. So I took 0.5 and did fall asleep after another hour. However, I was up off and on all night!! I have to get up early for work, so couldn't take any more meds over the night. Tonight I'm going to take 100mg of the Trazodone and pray it works. But I have doubts. This is the second sleep med she's prescribed that hasn't worked. First was Belsomra. Useless. I'll post how tonight goes."

Ctmom101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I came down with an awful virus I soon could only sleep 5 hrs per night. Trazodone worked well the 1st two nights but I needed a kick start (ativan or Benadryl) thereafter but it definitely kept me sleeping through the night. It's difficult to tell which of my symptoms were the virus and which were Trazodone but the faint headaches and prominent dizzines have definitely been the Trazodone. I also noticed I was becoming more forgetful and loosing my ability to focus. Anxiety may or may not be attributed to this drug also. The final straw, I was watching a concert online but when I paused the video, I kept hearing the music. It was a pretty effective scare. I'm done with this drug!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017