User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"Hi. I am diagnosed with MDD, GAD panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, and borderline personality. I currently take Prozac/Fluoxetine 20mg a day, Klonopin/Clonazepam 1mg twice a day. I have always had trouble sleeping due to my conditions, especially anxiety. I have tried ambien, seroquel, remeron and Restoril. I got prescribed trazodone when I went to rehab for Heroin. I'm now 1 1/2 years clean, and trazodone has been a miracle. I take 100mg of it at bedtime, and it makes very relaxed and sleepy. I sleep for 6-8 hours, it boosts my Prozac to work even better, and it gives me back my sex drive. Only cons are it's a little rough starting it, and it gives you dry sinuses. I would really recommend to any insomniac who also has depression/anxiety."

Mentally interesting (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 50 mg of trazodone for almost 2 years in addition to Lexapro. It worked for putting me to sleep, however I am positive it was slowly making my depression worse. It started with just feeling down and tired in the morning, to eventually turning me into a suicidal zombie for most of the day. I was scared that my depression had worsened, and that I would not be able to handle it. Work, family, everything had gotten very difficult to handle. I noticed that it was the worst in the morning, and finally put two and two together and decided to quit the trazodone. Within a few days, my condition GREATLY improved. Beware of the medication, and any antidepressant for that matter."

green72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from anxiety/depression and recently started taking Zoloft. I was having sleep issues prior and even worse sleep issues after taking Zoloft. Been on just about all the sleep meds there are out there except for Trazadone. The doc prescribed it and the first several nights my sleep was rocky and I'd get up in the morning with a pounding head ache and some dizziness and confusion. I stayed the course for a couple weeks and I do have to say it works great! I was on 50mg for a week and the doc told me to increase to 100mg after a week. I never had to do that and now I only need about 25mg for it to take effect and allow me to sleep. I believe a lot of people lose patience cause I'm guilty of it. I would recommend staying on the course."

Jbolt202 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr prescribed this for my insomnia. Took 50 mg last night, felt drowsy and was hopeful I would sleep. Kept waking up every hour or so, then falling back asleep. Woke up with a horrible headache, felt disoriented, dizzy, and like I was really badly hungover. Won't be trying trazodone again - ever!"

Psychodiva (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely did not work for me. Slept for a short time at 50 MG (lowest dose) & anything above that gave me a terrible headache the following morning. I tried it in lieu of Dalmane & a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm newly on Cymbalta (still at 30mg) and experiencing insomnia. Doctor put me on Trazodone (50-100) to help the sleep issues. Last night, I took one 50mg Trazodone. Felt sleepy within 30 minutes, but not enough to sleep. Doc had said I could use 0.5-1mg Ativan with it. So I took 0.5 and did fall asleep after another hour. However, I was up off and on all night!! I have to get up early for work, so couldn't take any more meds over the night. Tonight I'm going to take 100mg of the Trazodone and pray it works. But I have doubts. This is the second sleep med she's prescribed that hasn't worked. First was Belsomra. Useless. I'll post how tonight goes."

Ctmom101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I came down with an awful virus I soon could only sleep 5 hrs per night. Trazodone worked well the 1st two nights but I needed a kick start (ativan or Benadryl) thereafter but it definitely kept me sleeping through the night. It's difficult to tell which of my symptoms were the virus and which were Trazodone but the faint headaches and prominent dizzines have definitely been the Trazodone. I also noticed I was becoming more forgetful and loosing my ability to focus. Anxiety may or may not be attributed to this drug also. The final straw, I was watching a concert online but when I paused the video, I kept hearing the music. It was a pretty effective scare. I'm done with this drug!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update on my review from 2 years ago: still on Trazodone and still singing its praises. Since my first review I have moved across the country and consequently have different insurance and different doctors and I've had such an oddly difficult time getting it refilled. My last doctor refused to refill it and I had to go without for 4 months. It severely impacted my health as I was unable to sleep alongside my ever worsening mental state (depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc). As far as medication goes, Trazodone is the only constant for me."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking trazadone for about 4 years. I started because my mind would not settle down enough at night to allow me to go to sleep. Trazadone @50mg doesn't knock me out or make me so sleepy I can't stay awake but it absolutely settles my mind enough that I can lay down and sleep. Yes I'm a little groggy when I first open my eyes but within an hour I'm wide awake and looking forward to another nights sleep."

Charliecansleepnow (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Trazodone for insomnia due to depression/anxiety. I was hesitant on starting the medication, it took me about 3 months to finally have a break down and decide to try it. I wish I would have taken it right away. I finally have the energy and happiness back in my life that I've been missing for almost 3 years now. I was so depressed because of the sleep I was lacking, I could hardly do the minimal daily tasks or even get out of bed for the day. I was crying about it to my husband and he suggested I finally try it. It's like day and night. I'm also on Sertraline daily, that I have been taking about 8 months now."

Madison431292514 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been having problems sleeping due to anxiety and depression and was prescribed this. The first night/day was awful, I was extremely groggy and had a headache all day. I also had a problem with my eyes being sore, I'm not taking anymore."

NomsMcgee (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was my first night last night on Trazodone, I have it for sleep and depression but mainly sleep. I managed to get 8 hours but dropping off to sleep was difficult, I took a 150mg about 10pm and dropped off to sleep just after 12. I woke up really sluggish and energy less"

Jess54 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you can imagine restlessness and extreme sleepiness at the same time, horrible. Walking around in my apartment shaking my arms and legs while being so sleepy and tired was miserable but I have since read that if you are taking medication for seratonin uptake inhibitors that it could cause that so I think it was a side effect. Still ......miserable , so make sure what you are taking with it and discuss with your doctor concerns about drug interactions."

Jeepersjuju May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Help! I take adderal so I have to take Trazodone to help me sleep. 20 mins after I take Trazodone I binge eat. I have gained 20 to 30 pounds. Is there another medication I can take to help me sleep and not binge eat? I'm also trying to get pregnant so it has to be safe to take. Please help!"

Pinkposie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not slept more than an hour or two for literal years without pain waking me due to my Chronic Nerve Pain. I now take the 50 mg dose & wow I sleep almost immediately & do not wake drowsy or dizzy, I also notice a pain relief benefit, I do not wake in raging pain wondering how I am going to walk! I am also on Effexor for anxiety & medical marijuana for pain, all seem like a well oiled machine weeks in"

thebocat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I either fall asleep super easily, but wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts or I have terrible insomnia and can't fall asleep to begin with. I take 300mg of Effexor every day and my NP told me we would start off with 50mg of Trazodone to help with this issue. She said to take it about 30 min before bedtime and that I needed to be laying down, relaxing for it to work or I would bypass the effects. I've taken the drug a handful of times and each time it has done NOTHING. I still lay in bed wide awake with my thoughts. The day after taking it I have horrendous dry mouth which wouldn't be the worst side effect if it was actually working for me."

m3815 April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since around age 4 years old I've had a problem with sleeping. After having my kids my sleep what sleep I was getting went away. By time I hit 30 I truly thought I was going to die from exhaustion, then grand babies came my thought than was "ok now what I do", my HCP blew me off. So I returned to my old HCP and with my PTSD and OSTD he put me on traz. And first night on traz 50mg I slept for 12 HOURS OMG it was so amazing only problem I see is its like a alarm clock....I wake up at 4:00am no sweats...no dry mouth...etc. I never knew sleeping felt so good and I'm almost 50 yrs old. All my life fighting the chronic insomnia and now I have something that helps me I just pray my body doesn't reject it"

Maryb_49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for insomnia twice. The first time I tried it, I heard voices. I realized that these voices weren't normal or "mine," but I said to myself, "you know what? Maybe that was just a one time thing. I really want to sleep. Let me try this again." Next night I tried it I heard screaming (in my head). I then proceeded to put the medication right in the trash. My sleeping patterns are [still] also trash."

purple reign (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given trazadone by my psychiatrist instead of imovane or benzodiazepines. At first I took 50mg, 1st week it was hard to get up in the morning but that got better, then I went up to 100mg and couldn't handle it (too groggy) so back down to 50mg. This med helped me for months so if you can get through the first few weeks of morning grogginess give it a try. I suffer from major depression, anxiety, insomnia and I am a recovering alcoholic."

Christicroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed trazodone for sleeplessness and anxiety. I did sleep, however over time, I had daytime hallucinations, bad dreams, loss of memory, trouble talking, loss of focus, anxiety, swelling on the back of my head, ringing in my ears, and insomnia. After six months, I weaned myself off of the medication and felt horrible. It took me 3 weeks to get back to normal. I slept only 2, to 3 hrs per day over a week and then 4 hrs, then 7. This medication was bad for me, over time. I taught myself to sleep without medication."

Lady Sandy April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I never slept again, I would not take trazadone again. One night only with the driest mouth possible. Intermittent sleep punctuated with seeking water. It was kind of terrifying. To put it bluntly: Rough. I had a rough, unusual uncomfortableness. "

Geum (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took trazodone for a few months without any side affects that was cause a concern. Light grogginess in the morning is natural on any sleep aid. After a few months I got really dry mouth, headaches and the hangover was so intense that it would last all day long. After a few days at work with this dangerous hang over I stopped taking it. I'd rather sleep just a few hours with natural stuff like melatonin then feel completely sick and exhausted at work the following day. I could see this working for someone who doesn't have a schedule. Not fun if you have to be up by a certain time."

Brandon M March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 65, male 150 lbs. I've been taking trazadone for probably 15 years. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep . My mind would race. This helps me fall asleep a little and lets me sleep all night. If I wake up to pee I get right back to sleep. No grogginess in the morning all though it does affect my wife that way when she takes it. No side effects. I can still fall asleep without it and no effect if I don't take it for awhile"

EdYeakel (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking antidepressants off and on for 20 years. Have tried Prozac, Effexor and cipralex, these all helped me and I was usually on these for a year or two. I haven't taken any medication for the last 5 years. This past year, I have been suffering from insomnia, waking up at around 3 am with racing thoughts and anxiety. Extreme tiredness led to depression, feeling not myself, lack of interest in anything. I finally had enough and spoke to doctor and decided to give Effexor a try again. I lasted 2 days I felt completely out of my head , like an acid trip or something and absolutely no sleep. Awful! I started 50 mg of trazadone 6 days ago and feel like this is exactly what I need. I feel rested and happy again!"

Cobasda March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Bi-Polar II. Have suffered from depression, hypo-mania, and anxiety. One thing constant was difficulty sleeping. Sometimes night after night. I would just lay there and my mind would race. I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a year. 50mg-100 if needed. I've taken as much as 100, but often 50 then another 25 if needed. It's the best sleep I have ever had. I sleep through the night. If I have to get up for the bathroom, I fall right back to sleep. If I take higher doses I do get some grogginess, occasional blurry vision, and joint ache. But getting good sleep is worth it and helps with my other bi-polar symptoms. These days I've only been taking 50 but it still works and side effects are fewer."

reverb March 13, 2017