User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"Been on ambien for years...sleep walking...not staying asleep. Asked doc to try trazodone...last night I took 25mg at bed time an hour later took 25mg...took first dose at 8:30 it did nothing! Took second dose an hour later. After midnight i took my ambien...went right to sleep. Trazodone is not cooperating!"

Jam lady (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

"This stuff did not help me sleep whatsoever... and when I DID sleep, it gave me horrible nightmares, sleep paralysis, and very vivid/strange dreams."

Alois (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

"I am on the 50MG and The first night of taking trazadone was great slept straight 8hours. The next day didn't work at all. Was up all night. I believe that it hasn't worked as great as the first time. I took one tab(50mg) and can't sleep.(tonight 2a) Should I go one more tab 100mg? Afraid it could do me harm? I am getting more sleep than before but still not enough. I am 5ft 2in around 150 pounds "

Miliescobar94 September 19, 2016

"For anxiety and insomnia was amazed by its effectiveness, first time in many many years I can recall sleeping 8 hours straight, a very pleasant experience, was very refreshed after an 8 hour sleep and this BTW was with taking 1/2 a tablet ..also like that it's not habit forming will use only when needed ....."

silverRidge September 17, 2016

silverRidge September 17, 2016

"After taking 1 50gm pill I was awake all night with my toes and fingers burning, diarrhea, light headed and dizzy, dry mouth, and generally a bad feeling all over. I am very sensitive to narcotics and even after surgery I can't tolerate them. The only meds I take are Tylenol so there shouldn't be any interaction. This was worst than any experience I've had. This was the first time and it will be my last. My doctor has prescribed Rameron (Auro-Mirtazapine 15 mg) as an alternative but I am afraid do what that will do. I know I won't try Teva-Trazodone again no matter if I can never sleep again!"

Eber (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"I'm 55 and started not sleeping through the night especially after frequent business trips about 10 years ago. Started taking Ambien as needed, then almost every night which left me not feeling rested and recently only sleeping 3 or 4 hours. Doctor suggested 1 or 2 50mg Trazodone. I tried first time about 10 days ago. 1 made me feel physically very relaxed, like a muscle relaxer, but did not sleep. 2 almost made me feel sick...almost flu like. I finally fell asleep about 6 hours after I took it, and it was such a weird heavy sleep...I couldn't move. Last night I decided to try again. Same thing, heavy feeling but light sleep. Actually woke up 6 hrs later, read for a bit, then super heavy sleep but dreamed a lot. I couldn't get up until 9:15"

JSBneedsleep (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

"I have PTSD as a result of the 1968 TET offensive. It got much worse after I retired. A good night's sleep became 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. VA had me on Prozac which did nothing for the sleep but helped in my awake hours. Then I was given Trazadone 50 mg and told to split it in half 1 hour before bed. I was also told not to increase the dose, but cutting in half again,may help. I did this and now sleep the night getting 6 to 7 hours with only one short break. Dreams are back after becoming all but nonexistant other than flashbacks. My life is greatly improved."

TET Offensive September 14, 2016

"I was given Trazodoe 50MG for insomnia which I took last night, within a matter of time I became a bit dizzy and my RLS became uncomfortable ...this continued for a few hours. I did fall asleep after about 4 hrs and slept for about 6 hrs. Upon awaking I was no longer dizzy but I felt a little off to the point of being light headed....I will not take this med again....it is very hard to deal with the restless legs while being dizzy and tired...this medication is not for me."

redskynite (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

"I suffer from insomnia derived from an anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I have taken trazodone 50mg for sleep for 10 days. The first night, I slept for 13 hours straight. I was extremely fatigued throughout the day for the first 4-5 days on this drug, but I was sleeping through the night for the first time in months, so that side effect was worth it to me. Last night, I took the 50mg tablet, laid down to sleep, and woke up refreshed 9 hours later. No fatigue today whatsoever. This is the first time in a very long time that I woke up feeling well rested and (dare I say it) almost cheerful. Take it a good hour before you want to be asleep in order to avoid tossing and turning at first."

ADAGalloway September 8, 2016

"Like so many that have posted here. Have been on Ambian for quite a while, not every night but at least 3-4 times per week. I was eventually up to 2 10 mg tabs to be able to get to sleep but only for about 2-3 hrs. Doc put me on Trazedone because I requested something different. Took one 50 mg when laying in bed and ready for sleep. After about 2 hours, I final fell asleep without it's help. Slept for about 4 hours total. Strong vivid unpleasant dream, cotton mouth and a hangover headache the next morning. Going back to the doc today to give him the bottle w/ 29 of the 30 left."

Tired Nate September 8, 2016

"Trazodone work great for me and I don't wake up with that hangover feeling."

nikkieraine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

"Before starting my recovery I took Ambien for sleep which worked well. After starting recovery for alcoholism the doctor advised I had to stop taking Ambien because it is a narcotic. Trazadone works great for me, although the 50 mg was not enough for a full nights sleep. I started with 100mg and am now on 150 mg. I sleep like a baby and am refreshed in the morning. I'd recommend this to anyone suffering from insomnia."

Alcoholic with Insomnia August 29, 2016

"I have taken trazadone for years for sleep. I gradually went up to 200 mg!!!! I have tried every sleep medication under the sun,and NOTHING worked.it is non narcotic and NON habit forming. Great news because I am a recovering alcoholic. I stopped taken it for about 2 years, and now I'm on 50 mg. I was having terrible "night terrors" for years about hell and the devil, but when I was in rehab they suggested I take PZISORN more commonly known as " mini press". It is an old school med for blood pressure, rarely used for that purpose anymore. A side effect of the min press is that it helps tremendously with the night terrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask your dr. about it. You don't have to have high blood pressure at all to use it"

Banksybabe51 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

"I am on 50mg of trazodone. I take as needed for sleep. I have always been an anxious person however the past six months I have had a lot of life changing events happen to me. I was put on 20mg of Lexapro, that helped with the anxiety however I could not sleep. I was given trazodone and it works great, I find when I am extremely anxious iit is not as effective. The only side effect I have is that I have very vivid dreams, I have always been the type that would have vivid dreams but the dreams I have when I am one trazodone are intense. When I wake up in the morning I sometimes contact the person I was dreaming about to see if it was real or just a dream. Doesn't bother me though."

Good Night Sleep (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"I take 50 mg nightly, and will continue to indefinitely, because I get 7-8 hours solid sleep. I never take it until I'm ready to lie down in bed. After a few minutes of reading, drowsiness sets in and I sleep soundly all night. My only complaint is that, even though I am aware of dreaming, I'm unable to remember them even after only seconds of waking. I'd like to remember my dreams, because they likely serve a purpose, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. For me, with severe insomnia for 20 years, it's been the only thing I could count on to work with no discernable side effects. A life-changer for me."

MissVicki August 19, 2016

"I love Traodone. I take 1 to 1-1/2 50mg tabs 30 mins before bedtime, watch the late news and I'm done for the night. It's just enough to take the edge off and give me a great nights sleep with absolutely no side effects. Occasionally I might wake up in the middle of the night, but it's super easy to go right back to sleep. Regarding dreams, I have them whether I take Trazodone or not. It's just so nice to be able to get right back to sleep if they wake me up. Highly recommend."

Got Sleep August 18, 2016

"Trazodone was useless for my sleep issues. It actually made my insomnia worse and caused debilitating anxiety which I found out after was probably due to the active metabolite of this drug which is a substance called mcpp which is very activating and is known to cause anxiety and panic attacks. I would urge anyone considering using this medication to research it in detail before deciding if the risks are worh the benefits."

Sigmundfriend August 17, 2016

"I was given this medicine to help with sleep. I'm supposed to take one 50mg tab at bedtime, which I was doing. The doctor told me that it would make me groggy for a day or two. The first night I slept for two hours, woke up for two hours, then slept 14 straight hours. I assumed I slept that way since it had been a while since I had more than 3 hours of sleep a night. The next dose I slept off and on the whole night and following day. I couldn't function with this medicine. I kept taking it for a week and a half thinking my body just needed to adjust, it never did. The night I stopped taking it I slept four hours, but I was able to stay awake and function the following day"

Rrsh380 August 17, 2016

"Been on Ambien for 10 years and it is not as effective any longer. Dr prescribed Trazodone. I took 100 mg and nothing. I took 150mg and again nothing. The third night I took 200 and it made me feel drugged. I also had a very dry mouth and nose stuffy. Waves of nausea and hot body temp all night. I did not sleep but felt out of it all night. Next day I am still foggy and no motivation. Will not take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"I love this medicine, nothing else worked as well and with no side effects. I have suffered from insomnia for years, until I started to take this. I wake up now, refreshed and ready for the day."

Mattsleeper August 12, 2016

"Do NOT recommend this medication. It works to put me asleep, but the side effects for me are too much. I had awful vivid nightmares all night, and woke up with tears streaming down my eyes from the dream. My nose was running the next day and I felt like a cold was coming in. The most disturbing side-effect was the extreme fatigue that lasted the entire next day, to the point that I had to call in from work. I was so tired and everything ached. Will be consulting with my doctors asap."

Gingy58 August 10, 2016

"I got prescribed this stuff for sleep. It did help me sleep a little better but it has given me consistant nightmares ever since day 1. I also have had a "brain fog" for weeks...Its a win win situation because its extremely good for sleeping and an antidepressent but the nightmares and inability to focus on anything weighs out the good. Going back to the doctor to try something else. i would reccomend this to someone for sleep but not for long if you have nightmares and brain fog."

Sleepy koala (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

"None of you mention your Doctor's instructions on how to take Trazadone. I think the biggest problem I am reading about could be solved with the proper instruction. I was told to take it then turn off the lights and lie down,,,,Take it at bedtime... no tv or reading just take and lie down... It works and I feel rested."

DJayOh (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2016

"I have taken ambien for 3 years. However my tolerance has built up and now it takes 3 to make me sleep. And I will be awake and not remember anything I have done or said. So my doctor switched me to trazodone 50mg. He said take 1 or 2 about 30 minutes before bed. So I took 1 and an hour later I was still wide awake so I took the second one. I closed my eyes and I felt paralyzed. I couldn't open my eyes or move. I got very congested. My mouth was so dry I could barely get my tongue of the roof of my mouth... I was finally able to move 2 hours later and got some water... still I could not sleep. I would close my eyes and my mind was going 90 to nothing... next day had horrible headache and felt awful... would not recommend this to anyone..."

DDnTab August 7, 2016