User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking trazadone 50mg for about 4 yrs...at first it worked great ...went right to sleep and woke only once a night...then it started to slowly not work...I didnt experience many side effects....but now in the past week have been not sleeping...getting up 5 times an night and a lot of nervousness and restless legs also crampy muscles...I am going back to doctor to seek other remedy's...just wondering if anyone else has gotten the irritability and nervousness..not being able to sit or lie still?"

sallygag July 28, 2016

"I've been on other media for sleep but nothing worked. I was lucky if I got 3 hrs sleep. I moved to another state for work and have a new doctor. He put me on 100 MG and told me to take it 10 min before I go to bed. I slept like a baby for the first time in over 50 years. No adverse effects. I felt completely energized in the am. All I can say is WOW!"

Johnny 5 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"Helps me sleep but does leave me tired half of the next day."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

"My provider prescribed this as a sleep aid. It is very effective in this capacity."

Jennzi July 20, 2016

"I took Trazadone to get off ambien. Despite good reviews from other people, I had the worst reaction. A horrible taste in my mouth, similar to when I took Lunesta, but this started a couple of hours after I took it, dry dry cottonmouth, extremely thirsty, and hardly any sleep. I got up extremely congested and dinged out. I stopped taking it immediately."

LilMorongo July 16, 2016

"I have been on and off TRAZADONE for months even years. Nothing but positive feelings from me sure it took tweaking the dose from 50 mg to current 150--300 nightly as my day " goes ,". Stress - wise. Most nights I get 5 or so peaceful hours sleep can wake to pee, go right back to sleep. No headache later. Bye"

Mary PhD (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 11, 2016

"I take 50 mg. Of trazadone each night and usually have little to no awakenings throughout the night. I sleep 8 hours and wake fully rested. I'very had no side effects and would definitely recommend this medication to anyone having problems with sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

"4 years ago I came down with massive anxiety which led to insomnia (still this way). My doctor started me off on 50mg a night. Didn't work. So...I was prescribed 100mg a night, not bad. Now I take 100-150mg a night and it does pretty good. Some nights, like tonight, I wake up and can't go back to sleep but won't take anymore as I would wake up with a migraine. I take Trazadone about 1/2 before bed but have to eat something small or I get dizzy quickly. When this works for me, usually 5x a week, I feel very rested and ready to go in the morning. I've tried several herbal and non herbals, over the counter and prescription drugs and this is the only one that had worked the best. Melatonin was a joke as I was WIRED off of it."

Tired Mommy July 3, 2016

"I'm a 24 year old female and I began taking trazodone 6-7 months ago. I've taken 1 100mg pill every. Single. Night... . Because my insomnia is so chronic that I will go 10-12 days with hardly any sleep and can't function at work or school which is really Messing my life up. the only reason I started taking the trazodone was out of desperation and at first things were tolerable. Every night I take it it knocks me out within 20 mins exactly and even if I take it 10 hours before waking I STILL feel hungover , dizzy , tired , and groggy ALL day. No amount of coffee or espresso will fix this . 3 nights ago I took it as usual and was gasping for air and had to rush to ER from chest pain and shallow breathing. Nasty drug, don't form a habit on it"

Laurenb92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2016

"I have suffered from insomnia for over 10 years, I have tried many drugs, develop a tolerance and switch drugs. None ever gave me more then 4 hours of sleep. I started trazadone about 6 weeks ago, I take 50 about 45 minutes before I go to bed and if I wake up I take another 25 and easily fall back to sleep. I have no effects in the morning and even feel better then I have in the past. I do sometimes feel a bit dizzy after taking it, but I know that may happen and plan for it."

Cloneslass (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016

"i have had an excellent results with trazodone. I take 50 mg at bedtime and fall asleep within minutes. i then sleep for about 7 hours. I wake up completely refreshed and ready to go. I am not groggy or tired when I wake up. I recommend trying it for insomnia and hopefully you will have the same results I have had."

not sleepless anymore! (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

"After a bad accident, I have been having awful insomnia. My doctor recommended Trazodone for my insomnia. He also insisted that it may help me with my serve depression. So I was prescribe Trazodone 50 mg. Despite positive reviews on this sleep aid, I had a horrible experience on Trazodone. I only took Trazodone for one night and stopped all together with Trazodone. I don't personally recommend this. It was literally the worst trip ever. I felt like I was in a horror film with Freddy Krueger. I could not sleep. My head was spinning out of control. I am so surprised I did not shit in my pants. I was so exhausted and paranoid that night. I felt worse the next day, my heart and head was racing and I was irritable. I switched over to Melatonin."

Pham Lay (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"TRAZODONE, gives nasty neck & headaches to some & I am one who cannot tolerate trazodone. I had taken it for two different days with exact same results. It helped to fall asleep but only a few hours in does the headaches & neck pain woke me up."

dlpannebakker (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"I tried trazadone for insomnia for a week then stopped. First 150, then 200 and finally 300mgs. That was the worst week sleep wise in recent memory. I would fall asleep after about an hour but only stay asleep for an hour, then it would be 2-3 hours of trying to get back to sleep only to wake up after an hour once again. Back to seroquel, aaaaarg!:("

Maykinmoves (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I tried this to help my insomnia and the first time it worked. The second time I also split the pill in half and it gave me nightmares...night sweats....SCARY room spins (eyes would roll around super fast). The next day I felt horrible and exhausted and still "high". I'd be careful with this. Maybe got 2 hours of sleep total and woke up 9-10 times during the night."

Terrified and used twice (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

"I am prescribed 100mg before bed for insomnia. It only works for me if I wait to take it when I am very sleepy, RIGHT before bed. If I take it too early, I feel lightly stoned, and hungry, but can stay awake. It sometimes helps knock me out for 4-5 hours, if I'm lucky 6 hours at most."

Dan C. June 6, 2016

"I started taking 100 mg each night a couple of months ago. It works beautifully to help me fall asleep - usually in about 15-20 minutes. Sure, I'm a little groggy when I get up. But a trip to the bathroom, feed the cat and pour myself a cup of coffee, and I'm good as new."

Mississippi Jean June 5, 2016

"I just started taking trazodone 50mg .It seems to be working so far just don't like the groggy feeling when I wake up especially when I have to work the overnight shift even though I take it in the morning .I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia so I'm also taking lyrics with it."

James44 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016

"I had an absolutely horrible interaction with this medication. I was prescribed 50mg to treat insomnia because I literally have not slept for more than an hour a night in 8 days. I cut the pill in half and took 25mg last night. Within 30 minutes I had bed spins, my heart was beating so hard and fast you could see it and my husband who was in bed next to me could feel the bed moving to the rhythm of it without us even touching, blinding headache and the shakes. Needless to say I did not sleep and my head still hurts so bad I can not lift it. I have heard so many great things about this treating insomnia and for me personally it was was a bad experience. Doesn't mean it will not be great for someone else though. Good luck with your decision."

Sandy0223 June 2, 2016

"One of the most legitimately helpful drugs I have ever taken. Doesn't lose potency, nonaddictive, almost guaranteed to put you to sleep. I've been on it for years and it has helped give me a more restful and relaxing sleep than any other drug. Just avoid going too high-- for me, past 300mg it would clog my sinuses pretty bad for some reason, making it impossible to sleep. Luckily, 200mg works just as well."

O B (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2016

"Doctor prescribed this after a bad reaction to Zoloft. Minus the dry mouth, I an having great results. I take 50 Mg. I am able to get to sleep easily. I still dream, but it has greatly reduced the tossing, turning and night terrors. I wake up refreshed which is helping to reduce my depression as well. I have none of the dizzy spells or groggy feelings. This is much better than the Ambien I was on years ago."

Buckynbork (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"This medicine definitely worked for me. It takes hours for me to fall asleep and i usually wake up pretty much every hour. I did fall asleep fast and it pretty much kept me asleep. I did wake up 2 or 3 times during the night, but fell right back to sleep. After 9 hours of sleep I could barely open my eyes, they were very bloodshot and I was super sensitive to light. Additionally, I was stumbling around a little. When I woke up at night i felt a little disoriented too. I went back to sleep for another hour and felt a little better. It took hours for the grogginess to wear off. I only took 50mg. I think i may try 10mg and see how that works. I would recommend trying it when you have the next day off, just to test for side effects"

NicknameDave May 21, 2016

"I almost never experience side effects from medicines Rx or OTC and Trazodone was definitely an exception. When I say it made me dizzy, that is an understatement. I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom with the room spinning so fast I couldn't grip my night stand tightly enough. When I attempted to make my way to the bathroom (10 feet away) and I fell on the floor twice and nearly off the toilet! I couldn't see, stand, sit up – I could hardly even tolerate lying flat without moving at all. And this lasted nearly 10 hours!! 10 hours of pure misery. I'll take the sleep deprivation over that hell any day."

glukkon79 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

"Works good definitely helps stay asleep. Can make you a little dizzy."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

"Works like a charm. Love the sedation. Take it then eat a lot of food you will pass out fast."

AwesomeNess nick (taken for 10 years or more) May 5, 2016