User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I took trazodone for a few months without any side affects that was cause a concern. Light grogginess in the morning is natural on any sleep aid. After a few months I got really dry mouth, headaches and the hangover was so intense that it would last all day long. After a few days at work with this dangerous hang over I stopped taking it. I'd rather sleep just a few hours with natural stuff like melatonin then feel completely sick and exhausted at work the following day. I could see this working for someone who doesn't have a schedule. Not fun if you have to be up by a certain time."

Brandon M March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 65, male 150 lbs. I've been taking trazadone for probably 15 years. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep . My mind would race. This helps me fall asleep a little and lets me sleep all night. If I wake up to pee I get right back to sleep. No grogginess in the morning all though it does affect my wife that way when she takes it. No side effects. I can still fall asleep without it and no effect if I don't take it for awhile"

EdYeakel (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking antidepressants off and on for 20 years. Have tried Prozac, Effexor and cipralex, these all helped me and I was usually on these for a year or two. I haven't taken any medication for the last 5 years. This past year, I have been suffering from insomnia, waking up at around 3 am with racing thoughts and anxiety. Extreme tiredness led to depression, feeling not myself, lack of interest in anything. I finally had enough and spoke to doctor and decided to give Effexor a try again. I lasted 2 days I felt completely out of my head , like an acid trip or something and absolutely no sleep. Awful! I started 50 mg of trazadone 6 days ago and feel like this is exactly what I need. I feel rested and happy again!"

Cobasda March 17, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Bi-Polar II. Have suffered from depression, hypo-mania, and anxiety. One thing constant was difficulty sleeping. Sometimes night after night. I would just lay there and my mind would race. I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a year. 50mg-100 if needed. I've taken as much as 100, but often 50 then another 25 if needed. It's the best sleep I have ever had. I sleep through the night. If I have to get up for the bathroom, I fall right back to sleep. If I take higher doses I do get some grogginess, occasional blurry vision, and joint ache. But getting good sleep is worth it and helps with my other bi-polar symptoms. These days I've only been taking 50 but it still works and side effects are fewer."

reverb March 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given trazadone for insomnia. I generally don't fall asleep until early morning! I started this medication 6 months ago and am so thankful for it! I have read a lot of reviews with people saying they are sleeping 14 hours, I personally have not experienced that. I was told to start with 50 mg, didn't seem to do the trick for me. I started taking 100 mg and it works great! I thought I needed something to shut my mind down because it doesn't ever seem to shut off! It definitely doesn't shut the mind down but I have found if I do deep breathing and take the trazadone I'm usually out within 20 minutes! I have never felt dizzy or fatigued like others are saying but medications work different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking trazodone for almost 6 years. It is a lifesaver for me. After trying most of the benzos, ambien, restoril, seroquel, melatonin and anything else the docs could throw at me I was offered this. I had went years sleeping 1-2 hours a night with a quick cat nap for a couple of minutes here and there. Started of at 25mg and I'm now at 75mg. Some random grogginess first thing in the morning. Full 8 hours of sleep but aware enough to hear one of the kids if they need me. I believe this med is just like any other. While it may work for some it may be horrible for others. Just as I have failed some and they have worked terrifically for others. It's trial and error and there is no one size fits all when it comes to any medication."

Kraftyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First day prescribed (50mg) I did sleep for a little over 8 hours, but was groggy with very blurred vision all day. I also had extreme fatigue and body aches. Night 2 I took 25mg and slept for Less than 4 hours, but only had minor grogginess. I'll take 25mg for a few more nights, but might d/c if side effects remain."

Doug XLIX March 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can imagine with awe how I used to sleep even camping in heat or storms in tents in my 20's - maybe just so exhausted from mountain treks. In 30's, no major issues except occasional job stress or ex's loud snoring. All that changed at 40 when within 5 months my mom died, I got divorced, and I was stabbed up in a street robbery. Sleep is sometimes almost impossible, and if you're reading this site, you are probably looking for answers (for you or a loved one.) I've been prescribed so many things, but Drs repeatedly tell me Traz is the best because it's non-addictive and allows all stages of sleep cycle. It worked great albeit funky dreams, but the next-day grogginess never left, so after many months I quit (absolutely no withdrawals.)"

Adult_onset_insomnia (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is my favorite hypnotic drug. I've been suffering from insomnia for at least ten years, with good stretches and bad ones. Through CBT, I've learned to worry less about sleep, but I'm still a light sleeper and would wake up many times during the night, which is a source of anxiety and a burden. Taking 25 mg allows me to sleep trough the night with fewer awakenings and less difficulty falling back to sleep. Trazodone is a tool in your arsenal, but it's not "sleep-in-a-pill": it won't knock you out like the benzos or z-drugs, and that's not a bad thing, because this effect tends to create tolerance and rebound insomnia. Also, allow one week for the effects to stabilize before drawing any conclusion."

LewisTM February 23, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking trazodone for almost two months now. I went in to the doctor wanting a solution for insomnia but then quickly realized it was due to my situational depression. I told him that I never wanted to go on pills for depression but then he explained to me that trazodone is an antidepressant but doesn't have the horrible side effects such as prozac. He also told me its not addictive and that its a very old anti depressant so it wouldn't really do much in that category. These pills have made my life so much easier... I used to get anxiety a little bit after I took them but it went away after a week or two. I am prescribed 50 mg but I only take half, it doesn't really knock me out but I can get to bed before 1am which is great."

sleeeep February 22, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am literally so thankful for this medication, even though I don't even take it anymore. I took it for 1.5 years. I had horrible insomnia. I was in my first year of med school, and it was getting to the point where my mind was so cloudy, so sick from the lack of quality sleep that I began nearly failing my tests. I had anhedonia, social anxiety, suicidal dreams, no appetite, etc. The first night I took trazodone, my life changed, and all my symptoms washed away. The moment I began sleeping well on trazodone, my grades shot up, my social anxiety was gone, etc etc. This saved me life."

2nd_yr_med_student February 19, 2017

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is one horrible drug. I was given this to help with insomnia as I weened off Clonazepam. I am already on blood pressure medication and the first week I ended up in ER twice with blood pressure reading up near 200, hyperactive, blurred vision, and the shakes. My pressure has continued to roller coaster all over the board for the past two weeks. My regular doctor and cardiologist didn't seem to care so I switched and went to a different health provider. He now has me tapering me off the Tarazadone and is confident my blood pressure will return to normal."

tig1004 February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on 150mg of Trazodone for about a year and a half. My sleep was awesome. A little groggy in the morning, but I got used to that. Unfortunately, after a few months of starting the med, I began having all day severe dizziness. Didn't think that it could be from the Trazodone and ended up seeing two neurologists trying to figure out what was happening. They couldn't find a cause. Out of frustration I quit the Trazodone cold turkey to see if it could be the cause. Sure enough "

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has helped me tremendously from day one. I have had trouble sleeping for over 20 years. I was taking the generic for Benadryl for the last twenty years. It would work some of the time but I woke up groggy and some nights I still would not sleep. I was reading the link to people that took Benadryl or the generic for a long period of time and it increasing your risk of Alzheimer's and I panicked. I'm 46 and did not want to chance taking it so I went to the Dr and he prescribed this. What a lifesaver. I sleep every night for at least 7 hours. I wake up refreshed never groggy. I have had no side effects and I have been taking it for 6 months. I wish I would of known about this years ago."

Krissy73 February 16, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 31 yo fem 5'6, 115 lbs. Prozac helps w/ anxiety but not insomnia. Dr prescribed Traz, start 50mg for few wks, move to 100mg if needed. Last night was 1st 50mg dose. In 30min I was very relaxed & slept really well. Woke up w/ a bad head ache but it's gone now. I believe this Rx will work & will try 25mg for a few nights as body adjusts. For Ambien users, beware that your body isn't only adjusting to new Rx but also you are having withdrawals which can cause sickness, nightmares, sweat, nausea, etc. Maybe slowly reduce Ambien and then try Traz. Just a suggestion, everybody is different & reacts differently. Very good sleep, little s/e that should lessen over the next wk of use. I have tried natural remedies over several years w/ no help."

Noel Dog Walker February 11, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Still wide awake on most nights at 25mg, Took 50 mg one night slept good, but drowsy the following day throughout the evening!"

Anonymous February 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I guess I'm in the group of people that had severe reaction to this medication. The doctor prescribed 100mg trazodone for my "eyes wide open in bed throughout the night" problem. I took caution for the first night and took half a pill or 50mg but after about half an hour my heart stared beating really fast and arrhythmic, my ears and forehead become really hot, etc. it took an hour, two glasses of cold water and trying to breath normally for it to pass. A horrible experience which I won't forget. Next day I went to my doc and yelled angrily that if I had taken full dose it could have killed me and his reaction was something like oops! seems like this med is not for you! Short version : my advice is to take a small dose at first ,if ok then increase "

Max89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took 25mg of Trazodone one night and will never take it again! I hour after going to sleep I woke up to find the room spinning. My heart was pounding and racing. I was sweating profusely and extremely frightened. It has been two days and I am still having a few dizzy spells. Be very careful if you take this medication and make sure you have someone around that can help you have a bad reaction. Hope this helps."

marogold January 29, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a horrible sleeper. Left to my own devices I would typically sleep from 11 til 1 - be awake from 1 til 5 - sleep from 5-630. And that was it. My doc didn't want to give me more Ativan or clonazepam - and immovane etc. made me feel like a truck had run me over the next day. Tried trazadone and I sleep better than I have at any point in my entire life. I am so grateful. 50mgs 30 minutes before sleep. It makes my nose a little stuffy otherwise no side effects."

Christine1960 January 23, 2017

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Trazodone really helps me out and I get to sleep within a half hour, the only thing I dislike about it is I feel really groggy in the morning. Other than that it's a really good drug for insomnia. Not addictive."

hasbrogrl74 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started trazodone and it's not even working I'm only supposed to take one but one doesn't even work and so I haft to take 2 and it still doesn't work I feel groggy in the morning it's so bad"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of insomnia, OCD & anxiety I tried dozen over the counter and prescribed Meds from Prozac, Celexa, Clonazapam, Zanax and Ambien- being the most effective for my insomnia-I was sleep walking/eating. I'd fall asleep fast but wouldn't stay asleep! I decided to go see a PSYCHIATRIST to properly diagnose me! It paid off, My Doctor prescribed Trazodone 50mg (only Med I take now!!) BEST THING EVER!! Turns out all my symptoms were due to lack of sleep! Although it doesn't make me pass out like Ambien, I get into R.E.M. sleep!! Something I hadn't done for years! Even if I wake up during the night to use the bathroom, I'll fall back into R.E.M.sleep. Wake up like a new person!!"

Graser14 January 18, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 64 a have been taking Trazadone for about 7 months for insomnia . Trazadone did not work for me at all. It caused me to have several side effects including slurred speach, weakness, fatigue, flu like symptoms, brain fog etc. I started out taking 50 mg. I went up to 100 when it didn't work. The withdrawals have been awfull. Reduce 12.5 mg. every 2-4 weeks. Can't wait until I am free of this drug. I did a lot of research to educate myself as to what my body was depleted of to cause insomnia. Taking natural products only now. Melatonin, GABA, Selenium, and some others. Kavinace, and Native Rest. Plus some natural hormone therapy . Have 25 mgs of Trazadone to go until I am off completely. Sleeping good now!"

ZER January 16, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went a year with hardly any sleep, some nights I didn't sleep at all and Others I got maybe 3-4hours. I have a sleeping disorder where I can't enter REM sleep. So I was prescribed 150mg of Trazodone. It was a complete life saver!! The first two weeks on it I would feel groggy maybe 2-3hours after I woke up, but that wore off and now I just get great sleep! I had many sleep related issues such as severe anxiety, and agoraphobia, but this medicine, having me to be able to sleep cleared the majority of those problems away! This was such a life changer for me I'm so grateful for it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking 60mg of restoral at night for about 2 years. I would take Zoloft during the day to help with a PTS disorder. My doc. Recently changed my sleep aid to trazodone 50-100mg a night, I have never had a better nights sleep in my life, the main thing that worked for me was to dim the lights and lay down about 20 minutes after taking trazodone, within 10 minutes I was asleep. Woke up without being groggy all day, no longer need a nap after work or during breaks at work. I have taken ambien, miritzapam, zanex, Tylenol p.m.,Advil p.m. restoral, all to wake up feeling out of it the whole day. Trazodone works well for me, been 7 months with the same results every night 6-7 hours of sweet dreams."

Char41661gmail.com January 1, 2017