User Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Desyrel

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone

"This was a horrific drug. I took one 50mg tablet and was knocked into a sleep like state where my body was sleeping but my mind was fully aware. The next morning I was hung over and felt sleep deprived. One month later I tried it again. My eyelids were heavy but I was completely awake for hours. When I got out of bed at 3:00 a.m. I couldn't walk a straight line. While the warnings may refer to this as dizziness, it was more a drugged state as though I had taken a paralytic. I tore a calf muscle trying to stand upright. Finally got to sleep sometime after 5:00 a.m."

Adam (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2019

"This medication is awful. I took it for insomnia and it did THE EXACT OPPOSITE. I felt completely drunk after it got in my system but rather than making me tired - my body seemed to react against it and I was awake for most of the night. I woke up completely exhausted with only a few hours of sleep and a super drowsy hangover. Couldn’t drive to work, had to call in sick."

JJ (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

"I have been taking trazadone 50 mg for a month. It has helped me sleep.. I however did not know that it has been used for alcoholism. I have lessened my bad drinking habit. I get awfully nauseous and headaches anytime when I drink. I do recommend this drug to help stop drinking. Also, I don’t get cravings for beer as much."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2019

"I started having trouble sleeping in March 2018 and thought I was losing it. I went to the doctor and first they tried me on an SSRI. This did not work at all. I had a bad reaction to it and dropped 36 pounds in less than three weeks. So, they took me off and for awhile I was able to manage some fitful sleep with unisom sleep tabs. For light insomnia, I think those pills are awesome, but I was dealing with something a bit more robust. So, I got an appointment with a psychiatrist who put me on Trazodone in June 2018. Since, then I've been doing so much better. I started on 50mg, which only kept me asleep for 5 hours, then 100mg, which was like 5.5 hours. Then, we upped it to 150mg where I have been for the past 6 months, getting anywhere from 7-9.5 hours of sleep each night. Every once in awhile (once a month or so) my anxiety will ramp up and I'll have a restless night despite the trazodone, but I consider that to be natural. I'm really grateful for this drug."

MichGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2019

"A dry throat at night is the only side effect I experience. I have been taking Trazodone for 8 years."

Emma (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2019

"I had high hopes because the drug seemed to work at first. Unfortunately I slept better only because it was the beginning of my vacation and Trazodone made me way more miserable than before I started taking it. My sleep hasn't improved at all over the period of 2 weeks. The dose of 50mg makes me so dizzy and groggy that I am unable to work or think clearly and I still wake up at 4am and I am unable to fall back to sleep. 25mg seems to have a mildly sedative action, but I get the same from hops without side effects. Talking to people while under effects of this drug feels weird because I get the feeling that they will think I am stoned. Walking feels weird because I'm feeling wobbly. I prefer to have insomnia than to have both insomnia and feel incredibly dull every day. I will be tapering it off and I just hope it won't cause even worse anxiety and sleeplessness than what I am currently facing."

aethersis December 30, 2018

"So I have been on this to use for occasional issues falling asleep due to anxiety. I tried Benadryl, zaleplon, Dramamine, melatonin etc. Tried it all but nothing really helped. This on the other hand definitely helps knock me out. I usually take it right before bed, do some deep breathing and my thoughts chatter then eventually I’m sound asleep. Probably only take about 15 minutes for me with 50mg. This has been a lifesaver so I don’t anxiety about sleeping that much anymore."

Anxiousdude (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2018

"I took 100mg, which did nothing for sleep, then took another pill. I gradually fell asleep, but by then I was awake for a while and my net sleep was only several hours. ALL DAY afterward, I felt like a ZOMBIE, no matter how much coffee! This is a drug which has many possible side effects. Truly, this drug acts like a anti-depressant, which makes high level mental functioning VERY DIFFICULT ! Take at your own risk."

Billy (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

"After one week of 25 mg doses of trazodone, 2/3rds of my body is covered by hives and massive welts. And it did not help my insomnia."

sashamanda (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

"I’ve been on Trazodone (100mg)for insomnia for about 6-8 months now. Sometimes it works great and others not so much. Some nights within 15 minutes of taking it I can barely hold my eyes open and almost feel drunk. Others it doesn’t affect me at all. I would also say that I don’t really get deep sleep while taking it. I’ve also had a few strange issues, at least four times I’ve woken up in the middle of the night from extreme nausea, then when I’ve stood up to go to the bathroom I’ve passed out. I think it was because my blood pressure was low which I’ve seen is a side effect. However, I’m concerned with long term effects from the drug. Weight gain is a big concern of mine as well. Considering stopping my use."

Britt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2018

"First, I took Ambien for Insomnia. Never got into REM sleep on that one and never felt rested. Plus, did all sorts of weird things while on it. I do not recommend Ambien. Ever! Been using Trazodone for years now. Much less superior to Ambien in falling asleep quickly. I have to take 200 mg to fall asleep and it takes at least 30 min to work. While I’m waiting for it to kick in, I have horrible restless leg syndrome. At about 20 minutes, I feel the need to eat something. Must have snack or will get nauseous. Sleep after that but could wake up to use bathroom and won’t fall back asleep unless I take more Trazodone. Very, very difficult to wake up in morning (understandably) and have very stiff muscles, sore muscles, very stiff joints when I try to get up. Can only wipe out the groggy feeling if I take caffeine. "

Cest_Elle (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 27, 2018

"It put me to sleep, though I had some awful re-curring nightmares that would shock me out of my sleep. The nightmares started with the medication and ended when I stopped the medication. I stopped taking this medication due to the nightmares."

seaski (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2018

"I have insomnia from zyprexa withdrawal. My nurse practitioner prescribed trazadone because I didn't want to go back on zyprexa solely due to the insomnia. The first night was fine. I slept relatively well, only waking up once to go to the bathroom. The second night, however, I had the most vivid nightmares that I've ever had in my life. I kept trying to wake up because I realized that I was dreaming but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't wake up and end the nightmares until 5am. It was the most awful night of my life. I also felt extremely tired the next day both times after I took it. I am switching to prazosin now and will hopefully get better sleep."

elusiveperuvian (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

"I’ve now been taking Trazadone for 3 months. I had insomnia (a side effect of low end depression) for 7 years. This medication has helped with sleep 9/10 nights and has stabilized my mood. I noticed a significant improvement with sleep immediately. Its nice to not be gaining weight on it too. First thing in the morning, I do need coffee to wake up both my mind and body. I’m also quite stuffed up. But it’s worth it! Also, I’ve noticed a dull headache if I haven’t slept well (from life’s stress)."

TSLewis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

"This is the only sleeping medication that I can take that doesn't give side effects and I can still wake up in the night if needed. No grogginess in the morning. This is with a 50 mg dosage a night"

Kris (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2018

"It put me to sleep but I was wayyy too tired the whole next morning/afternoon. I was happy to find a medication that would allow me to sleep, but there are better options out there."

tiredgymgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"have to take 300mg or I can't sleep. But each morning I wake up I feel extremely nauseous"

Orashgle (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2018

"Ok so I get this feeling when I'm asleep almost like I'm awake but I'm not in my body, my body is asleep but I can hear and feel things still it just started to happen. I just had my dose upped to 100mg it's a very scary feeling like I'm lucid dreaming but I'm not it's hard to explain can anyone relate"

Kirbear (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

"Have had years of poor sleep. Can fall asleep easily but was wide awake a couple hours later. Started on Trazodone 50mg and it worked great. Sleep a solid 7 to 8 hrs a night. The only side effect has been lots of dreams... Pleasant ones but I wonder if dream state is the best kind of sleep. I increase my dosage to 100mg during stressful times to keep me sleeping. At that dose I'm a little drowsy during breakfast but that disappears quickly. I would recommend this treatment for help with sleeping."

Fred (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2018

"Trazodone is great for insomnia but I experience diarrhea every morning upon waking up. I think I am going to try to stop taking the medication and see if the diarrhea symptoms go away."

Jayella (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

"I started on the trazodone, on a weekend. It took several hours for me to get to sleep, and then I would wake up about every hour. I didn't get a good nights rest. Started on the 50mg, I had strange nightmares. The next weekend same problem, but this time I had demonic dreams, so sacred, I stop taking the medicine"

Anonymous September 6, 2018

"It work too well. Last night my house was on fire. I slept through the whole thing. My roommate tried to wake me but couldn't. I didn't even wake up when the fire department came and put out the fire. I am now terrified to take it again."

larrybin (taken for 10 years or more) September 5, 2018

"It helped me sleep but I was asleep all day. I was like a zombie that was never there"

Silver Pikachu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

"Makes me tired but still can't sleep. Eyes are bloodshot and I feel like I'm gonna fall down all the time. Doesn't do anything for my depression or anxiety either. Started on 25mg now on 150mg."

CB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

"My docter gave me this drug for insomnia and anxiety and the second day I took it made me faint right on the floor - I've never fainted in my life it was horrible never made me sleep I call the pharmacist and he told me to stop the drug !! I can believe how can they prescribe drug like that!!"

Ritz56 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2018