User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I used trazadone for sleep in the past then I stopped using it. I started struggling with my sleep again and I took 100mg and made me feel dizzy and this weird sensation in the back of head. It was an awful feeling and I couldn't fall asleep at all. I will never try it again. ...."

katobiscuit February 16, 2018

"The ZQ medicine kept me wide awake and caused RLS symptoms. Trazodone was awesome from the first night. I slept for 7.5 hours and got up before the alarm. That has not happened for over 10 years. Normally I would take OTC night drugs and just stare at the ceiling half of the night. Snooze was my companion for at least an hour. On another note, my personality felt like an old man with Effexor, and Trazodone brought me back out of my shell. This was the perfect combination for me and I never had a clue. I just thought I was turning into a grumpy old man."

Ed___ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

"Been taking trazodone for over a year now to help me sleep. I cut a 50 mg tablet in half and take at night. I’m extremely sensitive to meds but have zero side effects from this. I wake up in the morning feeling fully awake, no drowsiness. I have no complaints about this, which is something, as I avoid taking meds if at all possible. The good night’s sleep I get is well worth it. I wouldn’t recommend taking even a low dose with alcohol, though."

SKCR February 13, 2018

"Trazodone seriously saved me. I was given it for primarily insomnia and but also anxiety. My insomnia was so bad that I was staying up for days at a time, would cry at night trying to sleep, and it'd take me 3-4hrs to finally drift off into a very light sleep so when I woke up I was still miserable. I've been taking this for just over a month and I cannot believe how much better my sleep is. I don't even remember my head hitting the pillow. I'd guess I'm asleep within 5-10min. It's not like this makes me exhausted either, it just makes me feel a little relaxed. And I only need to sleep like 5-7hrs and feel amazing the next day! I had the hangover for about 3-4 days then it was gone. I used to dread going to bed and stress over it, and now I have absolutely NO problems. Please give this drug a try!"

anon12_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

"There is nothing worse than not sleeping. Trazodone helps me fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. Even if I have to get up to the bathroom, I fall right back asleep. I wake up easily without an alarm. It is inexpensive and covered by insurance. The only drawbacks are vivid dreams (mostly good ones) and sweating. The advantages far outweigh the drawbacks for me!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2018

"I've had insomnia as far back as I can remember which I've treated wonderfully with marijuana. Since I've recently moved South and am job searching I had to quit. Started having THE WORST periodic bouts of not sleeping for 3-7 days and would even start hallucinating...started Benadrly but quickly grew a high tolerance. This is only day 3 on Trazadone 50mg and it finally kicked in great :) Weird dreams. Definite hangover so heed the warning about taking it early- I didn't and felt messed up until late afternoon. It was so easy to fall asleep though! An athlete that runs early mornings so hopefully if I take it early I'd imagine minimal grogginess that problem diminishes with prolonged use. Good luck guys!"

Akkenz907 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"I’ve been taking this for 3 weeks and it doesn’t help at all for my insomnia or my anxiety. I take 150 mg but it still doesn't work. When I first started taking it, it made me really paranoid but still didn't help me sleep."

mphinney January 19, 2018

"I started on 100mg a couple months ago. I wanted to start off slow, but my psych said no because I suffer from bipolar (BP). She said lower doses can cause agitation in BP patients. I now take 150mg. It's a good med. Puts me to sleep in 45 minutes and keeps me asleep. Maybe a slight grogginess in the morning, but that's it. It also helps tons with daytime anxiety. I do get nauseous right after taking it and am forced to eat a little something. I don't like eating at night, but I'm very thankful for its benefits. Also, if you feel drunk when you lie down in bed, it means your dose needs to be higher. Don't be afraid of it in higher doses. Just have to figure out the right dosage for you."

BBP007 January 18, 2018

"I've taken trazadone for 4 years for insomnia. I started with 50mg then moved up to 300-400mg/night, it was 400mg then I started taking other drugs and lowered to 300mg. It still works decent enough, but there IS a brand that doesn't work at all for me, I specifically have to get Teva brand to make sure the pharmacy doesn't give me the one that doesn't work."

Anonymous January 17, 2018

"Before Trazodone I could only sleep for 3 hours at a time, and wake up feeling anxious, heart racing, sweats,etc. After about one week on Trazodone, I now can sleep through the night or maybe only wake up once in the middle of the night but no anxiety and can immediately go back to sleep. It’s definitely worth a try."

PTSDNavyWoman January 13, 2018

"I took Trazadone for insomnia and woke up the next morning with an Erection that hurt. After doing some research I found out it can cause Priapism specifically Low flow. After 6 hours I went to the emergency room and had to get blood drained and injections. It took 3 days to get back to normal and I am still waiting to see if it has caused long term damage. My doctor also stated they have almost always had to perform major surgery with everyone who has had this side affect from Trazadone. Please do not use this drug it is not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

"I work the overnight shift and it's hard for me to sleep. I have suffered from insomnia for a while now though. My doctor prescribed me 50MG. I take one 50MG pill when I get off of work in the morning from an overnight shift and if I do not work then I will take 100MG. The 50MG kept me asleep but didn't get me asleep whereas the 100MG does both. The 50MG works great when you are already tired."

extraminty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

"Worst drug on market for sleep and I can't get any help"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

"Trazodone 50mg did nothing for me. I do not take any other meds and needed something to make me go to sleep quickly. I got it 3 months ago and today is only the second pill that I have taken. Both times I stayed wide awake. After reading on here today it seems that you need to take it on daily schedule which I do not want to do. Some days I need to sleep mornings and others evenings. This is not what I need."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

"I have been taking this medication for two weeks. 25mg nightly. It has helped sleep, and improved my anxiety and depression. I am a little tired when first waking. But that passes quickly. I have tried every SSRI made in the past 20 years with terrible side effects. I can't say how happy I am to finally find a medication that works for me"

Anonymous December 4, 2017

"I have a fair amount of "problems". Insomnia is one. I have MDD, GAD, PTSD. I take lexapro for depression and 1mg. twice a day of xanax. (You'd think I'd sleep from THAT)..NO...I also have SEVERE back/neck issues so I also take percocet 10s 4x day...STILL NO SLEEP. I tried them all...ambien...no...remeron...no. Serequel yes but hated the weight gain and could not function in morning,so my psych Dr said trazadone has been around forever no the effects...BS. It did NOT work AT ALL...was taking 50mg. So Dr said take 100mg...NOTHING but horrible headaches, severe nausea if I didn't eat enough, and once I finally managed to get 2-3hrs sleep it was NOT restful. Dr ALSO didn't tell me that their actually an antidepressant and take 4-6 weeks for maximum results"

Thecarlyg (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2017

"I've gotten the best sleep of my life on Trazodone. I've struggled with insomnia for as long as I can remember. I also take 100mg of Zoloft for depression, general and social anxiety, and OCD. The only downsides for Trazodone are the fact that it makes you a little drowsy for an hour or so after you wake up and it also can give you really weird dreams. Not nightmares, just strange dreams. I feel very energized after the drowsiness wears off."

manda bunny November 27, 2017

"I started taking trazadone 9 year ago. It really worked when I first started using it. I started off with 50 mg. Over the years my tolerance increased. Now my dr has me on 500mg. It no longer helps me sleep through the night. On a good night I’m up every two hours, and on a bad night I just don’t sleep. I never wake up feeling rested. Just hung over and nauseous. I feel like I have a bad hangover. I used to be a dedicated athlete, now I’m sick when I get out of bed in the morning. Most days I can’t train because I haven’t had proper sleep. I’m done with trazadone."

Fins87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2017

"This medication did not work for me at all. I still have trouble sleeping and I cannot sleep even with this medication. I am on the 50mg dosage, seems like I need something stronger."

Hello kitty 08 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"While this drug worked in terms of making me tired, I was woken and spent a good portion of the night fighting off sleep paralysis and horrendous nightmares of my kids having died...so for me, the purpose was defeated. Now, this may work for you, so please don't let my experience scare you away. I want to just point out what MAY happen. Good luck, and hopefully, good sleep to all of you."

jend1028 November 17, 2017

"I wanted a pill to take when traveling to sleep. To test it I took 50 mg at home , when I would normally go to sleep without anything. After a few minutes in bed, I had difficulty swallowing, it was scary. I drank some water and it went away. I did not sleep at all, after 2 hours I took an ambien. I had taken this pill one hour before bed. A week later I took 25mg as prescribed, cut the 50mg pill in half as directed. Took it 1.5 hours before bed, no swallowing problems, but after 2 hours, still awake. took ambien."

bubba12868 November 16, 2017

"Can't sleep like a normal person due to a circadian rhythm disorder - without this med I would get one or two hours of broken up sleep a night, total. I would probably be institutionalized or dead if it weren't for this medication. It used to make me feel groggy in the morning but I think I got used to it. I also drink strong black tea and take Adderall, which counter the side-effects almost completely. I'm not 100% functional still, because it does knock me out and leaves me slightly hungover, but it's a small price to pay to sleep mostly like a normal person where I was not sleeping at all. On a good night I get 7-8 hours and wake up once, sometimes not at all. Cutting out coffee has helped tremendously too."

tnetnnba (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2017

"After a couple of days it helped me stay asleep (I used to wake up after a couple hours of sleep and be up all night). I didn't have bad dreams, but I did have extremely vivid, kinda weird dreams, which took some getting used to. However after a while (3 or 4 months), the effectiveness waned. I started with 50 mg and never went beyond 100mg."

Scooter1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

"Minimal positive effect. Erratic performance."

ReservedGene (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

"I am trying 50 mg and after 3 nights it really kicked in and the minimal side effects went away. I take it for sleep. It has been aslight learning curve. Now I take it around 8pm and go to bed around 10pm and that way I fall asleep wonderfully I am hopeful it will keep working .."

A female (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017