User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"This medication helped me sleep so much but at first I had to take it with melatonin until they got my dosage right which may take a little while. The only problem I had was the grogginess in the morning which is common"

Marial236 November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has been a life saver for me and my insomnia. I've tried other medications before like Ambien but with my anxiety, it was not effective in helping me fall asleep. I've been using Trazodone for years now without any complications. For me, it works instantly or up to the most 10 minutes, depending on my dosage. In the days that I don't have because I'm waiting on my refill, I never get to sleep when I want/need to."

Sweno November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 50mg to help me sleep. Woke up after about 4 hours of sleep. Heartbeat fast and thumping, thinking about anything and everything. Couldn't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. The day after I felt amped, jittery and like I was in a fog. Took for two nights, don't plan on taking again. Need some sleep. This drug may work well for you, it's just not for me. I recalled trying this medication a few years ago, had the same results then."

Surfcat November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from insomnia for years since going through menopause. I used to have to have a couple glasses of wine to fall asleep -- without that I would stay up all night reading -- trying to get tired -- and wind up finishing an entire book. I have been taking this medication for about a month and it's working as prescribed for me. I get drowsy after 30 minutes or so and sleep through the night. I wake up energized and ready to go. I hope it continues to perform as desired. I think I can agree with the dreams -- no nightmares, just dreams which I remember to some degree. I sleep so good that I don't move unless my dog does.... LOL"

EileenPM November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 100MG every night (about the same time 8:30 pm) for about a month and it works like a charm every time. I am finally able to sleep through the night (with the occasional trip to the bathroom) and I love my dreams - like being the star in an exciting movie. For me, I wake up around 5:00 am most days and feel great! I'm hoping to enjoy this for as long as the Doctors allow me to."

JDSGUAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"6 years after becoming abstinent from illicit narcotics including opiates I still had not learned to sleep. I managed to learn how to fall asleep sometimes but could not stay asleep. I was prescribed 150mg Trazadone as a safe option for someone with history of substance misuse. Put simply it works for sleeping, has no recreational use potential, and after 7 months no need to up the dose. In fact I reduced it to 75 mg very quickly as it reduced some early side effects such as blurred vision and groggy feeling. Have noticed a small drop in general energy but also a drop in anxiety. Sleeping 1-3 hrs a night created a kind of nervous energy. Ideally I would prefer to not take medication however this works and is safe for me."

Raould Duke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nasty nightmares while taking this drug and not that helpful in helping me sleep. I am off this drug now and happy to be..................."

loelle November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have primary insomnia i have taken ambien, ativan, xanax, mirt, they all had their issues, ambien does not give one rem sleep, ativan or xanax i got used to real fast, mirtzapine i gained 4 pounds in 4 weeks and will.still wake up 5-6 × a night. finally i have been put on 50 mg. started working like a charm on day 2. very happy."

itisro (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this because I was having horrible insomnia for a couple of weeks due to not being able to quiet my brain. I also take Zoloft in the mornings. I have mixed feelings about this drug. This is not a drug that really helps me fall asleep. It does kind of quiet my thoughts some. What it does do though is help me not wake up for hours. I actually do get a full restful nights sleep...eventually. The dreams are also pretty awesome. I feel like I have been on some crazy dream adventures the last couple of months! Sometimes I am slow to come out of my sleep fog in the mornings but nothing a few splashes of cold water to the face won't fix. I also find my anxiety levels are nice and calm the next day. Overall I think it is helpful."

bizygurl73 November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 150 mg of trazadone to help me sleep for over five years now and it is wonderful. My only complaint is that I am a little groggy when I wake up. A couple of years before I started the 150 mg dose, my doc gave me the standard 50mg dose and it did help me at all. My main complaint was that once I fell asleep, I would wake and not be able to go back to sleep. Trazadone solves this problem - it doesn't knock me out so I will wake to any noise or to use the bathroom but I am able to fall back asleep with no problem."

I sleep like a baby. (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed effexor xr 75mg for depression/anxiety. The first week I had maybe 2 hours of sleep a night so my doctor prescribed me trazadone 50mg. The first night I broke it in half. I had anxiety taking it so I felt really dizzy and lightheaded. THE nxt night I took 25 mg I woke up 4 hours later. Now I take the whole 50. It kicks in after 20 mins. I feel so relaxed laying in bed while it kicks in I sleep a solid 10 hours. I take it at 8:30 everynight. I love it! I do wake up a little tired. But once I get up and move around a little I'm ok."

Belle7713 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"During the time that I was on it, I never experienced any benefits and it just wasn't that effective for me. I was switched from this to some simple melatonin vitamins, which was way more effective."

KMaureen (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the 50 mg dose and within the first couple hours felt sick to my stomach. During the night I felt like I was half asleep but never fully out. I had a hard time getting up the next day. I felt light headed and kept yawning constantly. I felt like I was in a fog that didn't break until about noon. Later in the day I had a headache. I wouldn't recommend this particular drug."

garada33 October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 50 mg last night for the 1st time as Ambien only works 50% of the time. Wide awake all night which was good because I have had horrible diarrhea every 3-6 minutes since 11pm. It is now 7am. Never taking this again. I usually tolerate all kinds of med at high doses. Ugh. Awful"

Neversleeps (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr, prescribed this to help in falling a sleep. I have taken it in the past and never had any luck, I take 50mg at 9PM and two hours later still wide awake. I took another 50mg and never did fall a sleep. Not impressed."

cheybaloo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This Med makes my arthritis worse. My doc is fired, the meds in the trash. Good luck."

Jaka Boy October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 10 years taking Ambien for insomnia, my doctor switched me to Trazodone because the Ambien had become ineffective, giving me only 3-4 hours sleep per night. The Trazodone, while different, does seem to work somewhat. The nightmares many of you speak of are most likely being caused by the withdrawal from the Ambien or whatever other sleep drug your Trazodone has replaced. I know that horriffic nightmares have always been an issue for me when missing a night of Ambien on an occasion when I had run out."

JJ By The Bay October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking it out of a Mental hospital after 3 weeks no sleep. Went home with 100mg, worked so so at first, kept me asleeep 4 hours, pop another one sleep 4 hours. 20 years later started back on it. I take 100mg at night, sleep 3 hours, can't go back to sleep and feel like I'm so hungover, head splitting open like worse sinus problems ever, heart skipping, side effects made me QUIT, I feel better NOT sleeping than 8 bottles of Jack so to speak."

Trazacrazy October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Im on 50 mg trazodone,started last week slept good til last night got up few times wondering why"

michele harvey October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is now 36 hours since I took the first-and only- dose (100mg) of this drug for intermittent insomnia. I am still drowsy and having balance problems caused by dizziness. This is a very dangerous drug IMO and I wish I hadn't taken it. I only hope these disturbing side effects eventually subside."

Pookie's Problem October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could give it a 0, I would absolutely do so. Started at 50mg, and felt WIRED. Wanted to get up and clean the house! Bumped it to 100mg, less wired, but still wide awake all night. Bumped to 150, with the same lack of effect. MD informed me after this dose it becomes less effective for sleep, so why even bother. 15 years of trying different sleep medications and alternatives, and this, I can say for sure, was the LEAST effective I have ever come across. At it's low price point, feel free to give it a try, and maybe you will be luckier? Everyone's sleep conditions are different. But if you get hyper after benadryl, expect the same reaction to this drug."

JeccaLeigh (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely worthless. Those who see an effect are probably just falling for the placebo effect. If you have real sleep problems and want your life back, get a real sleep medicine. Trazadone is not one; it's an antidepressant and a crappy one at that. Ambien, Lunesta and benzos are proper sleep meds and will enduce sleep. Trazadone is a pill filled with worthlessness. You may as well take a pill filled with sawdust."

Stevebuzz82 October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone works well for my insomnia. I take a low dose. 25 to 50 mgs before bedtime. This medication works well with a light snack since it helps the medication work better. My only complaint is that I feel a a little hungover the next day but that is common with any medication for sleep. I seem to sleep a lot better now and don't seem to struggle as much to get asleep."

Sleepless in ohio October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The secret to successful Trazodone use is to take it at the same time every night. I do 8:30. Then you need to go to bed within an hour for me.... if I don't go to bed relatively soon after taking it the opposite effect sometimes happens. I get a solid sleep. No movement,vivid dreams which I actually look forward to."

Blondie1954 October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Idk about this. I took it last night, about 20 mins later, I got real fuzzy in my head and my body was heavy feeling. I tossed and turned for a few mins then went to sleep. The next morning though, ohmygosh, I do not like the feeling of being groggy all flippin day. My heart races, I feel weird. I don't like it and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Nonickname October 14, 2016