User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I am 64 a have been taking Trazadone for about 7 months for insomnia . Trazadone did not work for me at all. It caused me to have several side effects including slurred speach, weakness, fatigue, flu like symptoms, brain fog etc. I started out taking 50 mg. I went up to 100 when it didn't work. The withdrawals have been awfull. Reduce 12.5 mg. every 2-4 weeks. Can't wait until I am free of this drug. I did a lot of research to educate myself as to what my body was depleted of to cause insomnia. Taking natural products only now. Melatonin, GABA, Selenium, and some others. Kavinace, and Native Rest. Plus some natural hormone therapy . Have 25 mgs of Trazadone to go until I am off completely. Sleeping good now!"

ZER January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went a year with hardly any sleep, some nights I didn't sleep at all and Others I got maybe 3-4hours. I have a sleeping disorder where I can't enter REM sleep. So I was prescribed 150mg of Trazodone. It was a complete life saver!! The first two weeks on it I would feel groggy maybe 2-3hours after I woke up, but that wore off and now I just get great sleep! I had many sleep related issues such as severe anxiety, and agoraphobia, but this medicine, having me to be able to sleep cleared the majority of those problems away! This was such a life changer for me I'm so grateful for it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 60mg of restoral at night for about 2 years. I would take Zoloft during the day to help with a PTS disorder. My doc. Recently changed my sleep aid to trazodone 50-100mg a night, I have never had a better nights sleep in my life, the main thing that worked for me was to dim the lights and lay down about 20 minutes after taking trazodone, within 10 minutes I was asleep. Woke up without being groggy all day, no longer need a nap after work or during breaks at work. I have taken ambien, miritzapam, zanex, Tylenol p.m.,Advil p.m. restoral, all to wake up feeling out of it the whole day. Trazodone works well for me, been 7 months with the same results every night 6-7 hours of sweet dreams."

Char41661gmail.com January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had insomnia problems for nearly 20 years. At 27, I barely got 7 hours of sleep a week! Then my doctor prescribed Trazodone and I've never looked back. Now I get 6 hours a night easy."

Sleepless for decades (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazedone is worthless to help me fall asleep unless i wanna wait 4-5hours then i cant get up in the morning.i feel groggy all day.Takes way too long to work even at 150mg.abien works much better"

Mike saam (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Because of depression I had developed insomnia. My doctor had prescribed me ambien, but that wore off real quick that it wasn't working anymore. Then I was feeling even more depressed because I was worrying about sleeplessness which led me to a viscious cycle, then I tried this Trazadone , it has been a God send for me. I feel normal again I sleep like a baby, at first, before trazadone I was sleeping about 3 hours or so. I have 50 mg and 100. I usually go with 50 and I'm a pretty big dude 250lbs. Just take it with a Lil food before bed time,if u don't it won't work as well. Good luck and be patient if your new to this drug. You have to do a Lil experiment on yourself with this before u get it right as far as in dosage and time."

xMannyfreshx December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the past 3years insomnia literally no sleep doctor prescribed zoloft and trazadone since Dec 6 2016 I have be sleeping at night!!! I'm happy again, not mean throughout the day, I'm not overthinking life is great I'm happy"

Flyise (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Trazodone for nearly a year, taking as much as 300mg nightly. There's a positive and a negative. It does help with sleeplessness because of its sedating effect. It doesn't guarantee you will fall asleep. There were several nights I can remember when it felt like the trazodone wasn't working and I'd be up all night. The positive was it helped on most nights. But just like other prescription drugs, it is habit forming and does cause dependence even though doctors may say otherwise. I tried quitting cold turkey after a few months and my nights were hellish. Zero sleep, racing thoughts, excess energy in the middle of the night, it was absolutely weird. Id only recommend trazodone, if you absolutely must. Try for the natural route."

Abkel01 December 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update~ i have been on Traz for almost one week. I no longer have any side effects..the dizziness, hang over feeling that lasted all day, does not happen anymore. My dose is 100mg. My body has got used to the drug and now the medication is helping me sleep very well. I have a small snack with the dose and take it 30 minutes before go to bed. Sometimes take a lower dose, like 50mg or 75mg..to see if I can fall asleep with that amount. Sometimes it works other times I have to increase up to 100mg(around 2 hours later..if I haven't fallen asleep). I almost quit this drug, but I worked through the side effects. You need to stay on it for at least 1 week and it should start working well for you and the side effects will lessen or cease."

Sleepy in SD (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been taking Trazadone for about a week, but it has been a life changer for me so far. My insomnia was so bad at times that I would be lucky to get 2, 3 hours of sleep, it even that. Followed up with a 9 hour work day. I tried every natural approach for years but I would wake up constantly every night and not be able to fall back asleep. Since taking trazadone (50 mg) I fall asleep and wake up maybe once a night, but fall back asleep fast. I've taking anti depressants in the past, and I find all of them very mild. No night sweats, and I haven't even had a vivid dream yet. I also only have taken this on nights that I really need to. And morning grogginess goes away after a shower and cup of tea and sure beats a day of hell at work."

Brandon M December 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst time with this medication. Nightmares, sleep walking, severe headaches, vomiting, didn't help me sleep at all, I would wake up and sleep walk into different rooms knowing I was sleep walking but so disoriented I had no idea where I was. On night I walked to a storage building and stripped and fell breaking my arm. I was there until the next morning because I couldn't get up and didn't have a cell phone. My father had tried calling but with no answer he finally drove up and eventually found me... I hated the hangover effect.... I hope others benefit from it."

Irnhorses0 December 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Once it is in your system, the side effects are not so strong. For me it went from severe dizziness and basically "knocking me out"..to no side effects. I also woke up severally drowsy and thought why take this if I can't function the next day? But, I got to a point where I was not sleeping at all, so I kept trying this drug and it got better. I was able to get some sleep and not have harsh side effects. I want to take this short term to get back on track on my own. I am scheduled to see a sleep dr..but until then I will have to take this."

Sleepy in SD (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication helped me sleep so much but at first I had to take it with melatonin until they got my dosage right which may take a little while. The only problem I had was the grogginess in the morning which is common"

Marial236 November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has been a life saver for me and my insomnia. I've tried other medications before like Ambien but with my anxiety, it was not effective in helping me fall asleep. I've been using Trazodone for years now without any complications. For me, it works instantly or up to the most 10 minutes, depending on my dosage. In the days that I don't have because I'm waiting on my refill, I never get to sleep when I want/need to."

Sweno November 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 50mg to help me sleep. Woke up after about 4 hours of sleep. Heartbeat fast and thumping, thinking about anything and everything. Couldn't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. The day after I felt amped, jittery and like I was in a fog. Took for two nights, don't plan on taking again. Need some sleep. This drug may work well for you, it's just not for me. I recalled trying this medication a few years ago, had the same results then."

Surfcat November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from insomnia for years since going through menopause. I used to have to have a couple glasses of wine to fall asleep -- without that I would stay up all night reading -- trying to get tired -- and wind up finishing an entire book. I have been taking this medication for about a month and it's working as prescribed for me. I get drowsy after 30 minutes or so and sleep through the night. I wake up energized and ready to go. I hope it continues to perform as desired. I think I can agree with the dreams -- no nightmares, just dreams which I remember to some degree. I sleep so good that I don't move unless my dog does.... LOL"

EileenPM November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 100MG every night (about the same time 8:30 pm) for about a month and it works like a charm every time. I am finally able to sleep through the night (with the occasional trip to the bathroom) and I love my dreams - like being the star in an exciting movie. For me, I wake up around 5:00 am most days and feel great! I'm hoping to enjoy this for as long as the Doctors allow me to."

JDSGUAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"6 years after becoming abstinent from illicit narcotics including opiates I still had not learned to sleep. I managed to learn how to fall asleep sometimes but could not stay asleep. I was prescribed 150mg Trazadone as a safe option for someone with history of substance misuse. Put simply it works for sleeping, has no recreational use potential, and after 7 months no need to up the dose. In fact I reduced it to 75 mg very quickly as it reduced some early side effects such as blurred vision and groggy feeling. Have noticed a small drop in general energy but also a drop in anxiety. Sleeping 1-3 hrs a night created a kind of nervous energy. Ideally I would prefer to not take medication however this works and is safe for me."

Raould Duke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nasty nightmares while taking this drug and not that helpful in helping me sleep. I am off this drug now and happy to be..................."

loelle November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have primary insomnia i have taken ambien, ativan, xanax, mirt, they all had their issues, ambien does not give one rem sleep, ativan or xanax i got used to real fast, mirtzapine i gained 4 pounds in 4 weeks and will.still wake up 5-6 × a night. finally i have been put on 50 mg. started working like a charm on day 2. very happy."

itisro (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this because I was having horrible insomnia for a couple of weeks due to not being able to quiet my brain. I also take Zoloft in the mornings. I have mixed feelings about this drug. This is not a drug that really helps me fall asleep. It does kind of quiet my thoughts some. What it does do though is help me not wake up for hours. I actually do get a full restful nights sleep...eventually. The dreams are also pretty awesome. I feel like I have been on some crazy dream adventures the last couple of months! Sometimes I am slow to come out of my sleep fog in the mornings but nothing a few splashes of cold water to the face won't fix. I also find my anxiety levels are nice and calm the next day. Overall I think it is helpful."

bizygurl73 November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 150 mg of trazadone to help me sleep for over five years now and it is wonderful. My only complaint is that I am a little groggy when I wake up. A couple of years before I started the 150 mg dose, my doc gave me the standard 50mg dose and it did help me at all. My main complaint was that once I fell asleep, I would wake and not be able to go back to sleep. Trazadone solves this problem - it doesn't knock me out so I will wake to any noise or to use the bathroom but I am able to fall back asleep with no problem."

I sleep like a baby. (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed effexor xr 75mg for depression/anxiety. The first week I had maybe 2 hours of sleep a night so my doctor prescribed me trazadone 50mg. The first night I broke it in half. I had anxiety taking it so I felt really dizzy and lightheaded. THE nxt night I took 25 mg I woke up 4 hours later. Now I take the whole 50. It kicks in after 20 mins. I feel so relaxed laying in bed while it kicks in I sleep a solid 10 hours. I take it at 8:30 everynight. I love it! I do wake up a little tired. But once I get up and move around a little I'm ok."

Belle7713 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"During the time that I was on it, I never experienced any benefits and it just wasn't that effective for me. I was switched from this to some simple melatonin vitamins, which was way more effective."

KMaureen (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the 50 mg dose and within the first couple hours felt sick to my stomach. During the night I felt like I was half asleep but never fully out. I had a hard time getting up the next day. I felt light headed and kept yawning constantly. I felt like I was in a fog that didn't break until about noon. Later in the day I had a headache. I wouldn't recommend this particular drug."

garada33 October 28, 2016