User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"Knocked me out quickly but made the morning after impossible. Much Too strong for me."

Wj Chapman March 22, 2016

"Useless as a sleep aid. Zombie like effects the next day."

Trazadon't March 19, 2016

"Since childhood, I slept very little. Suffered for more than 40 years. Have been on trazadone for insomnia and depression for 20 years. What a lifesaver! For years I was on 150mg, but felt sleepy during the day. I cut back to 50 mg. but was only able to sleep 5 to 6 hours. Last night I took 100 mg. and slept for a solid 8 hours and feel great! Guess I will stay on 100 mg. Can't imagine life without it! Highly recommend."

Insomniac no more (taken for 10 years or more) March 18, 2016

"I started 3-10-16 had insomnia bad, went to sleep at 9pm woke up at 5am. Felt a bit groogy but by 7am I was feeling good. This drug works for me, I was told to take half of the 50mg at bedtime. Good luck to u"

MsJW March 12, 2016

"I am a Parkinson's patient for 6 years. Insomnia due to muscle pain & contractions has plagued my ability to sleep. Previously a very healthy & fit person who rarely took medication. At my MD request I reluctantly tried Trazodone 50mg. I take only half a pill along with half a PD pill 30 mins before bed. It's been amazing, no side effects, awesome sleeps & if I wake up for a washroom visit, easy 2 get back to sleep. No morning drousyness. The small amount of anti depressant is a bonus. I don't do every night but can assure it's not addictive."

Nigair (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 6, 2016

"I was prescribed Trazodone after menopause when insomnia kicked in. I've been taking 25-50 MG a night for 6 years. Works well, 20 minute onset. Not groggy in the Morning and helps with my anxiety. My mother took it for 15 years. Awesome drug for us."

Aubergine (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2016

"I was told to take 100 mg at bedtime. WORTHLESS. I have to take benadryl x 4 and melatonin 40 IU and 800 mg naproxin to even start to get sleepy. My insurance will not pay for the one sleep aid that does help, Belsomera."

lkjhpoiuasdfzxv March 3, 2016

"I was put on this medication as an alternative to ativan (OTC, melatonin, and Valerian root failed). I didn't realize initially that it was an antidepressant since my doctor said it was a sleeping pill. I'm also on Lexapro and Welbutrin and I'm very sensitive to antidepressants. I was started at 50 mg, which did nothing. 100 mg next for about a week which left me feeling awful in the mornings. She then increased it to 200mg and it was an awful experience. I took it at 8pm and fell asleep around 2am. I woke up at 7am for work feeling awful. I sat through two meetings feeling dazed, dizzy, nauseated and out of it. All that evening and the next day I had flu-like symptoms and couldn't stand without feeling like I would faint. Overall, horrible"

Becmo253 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2016

"I'm writing for my 94 year mother. As her care taker, this medication made her legs scaly or flakey skin. I thought it was dry skin. The Dr changed her medication and the dry flakey skin went away."

Yole73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2016

"Took 50 mg last night to help me with my nighttime awakenings. I did not have any side effects and slept for over 8 hours! Best night of sleep in a long time. My plan is just to use this for a short period of time to get me through some stressful life events and then taper off. I am a pharmacist and looked at all the possible side effects before taking this medication. I must say, nothing adversely affected me and I happy for this. Sleep is so important to me and this helped so much."

PharmDawn (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am starting tonight, I suffer insomnia. Some times it is hard for me to close down. Stress and being a very light sleeper started effecting my daily routine. My active life is suffering. I feel lazy unlimited. I have 3 kids and need to keep up!! My doctor prescribed 50 mg half hour before bed I hope this helps!! Any advise??"

Riena (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

"I have been on 50 mgs of Trazodone for about two weeks - I would take about 9:00 pm but was two or so hours before I feel asleep. Tried taking earlier still was midnight-Plus find myself tried and sleepy during the day to where I need a short nap. So tonight I took at 8:00 and its 2:00 am haven't felt sleepy yet. I decided I would take another 50 mgs to see if it works. Will try 100 mgs next time if that doesn't work calling my doctor"

Jjoy54 February 18, 2016

"First two days taking 50mg. First day taking I took relatively earlier so it would have time to kick in, without leaving me groggy, I felt it within a hour, and it increased by libido!! After two hours the drowsiness wore off, however I felt great and took a third of another to boost me back in a sedated sleep. Normally I have extremely long lasting visual dreams, but I never felt energized like I've slept. This first morning I couldn't recall having a single dream and woke up relatively early, sleeping 8 hours. My side effects were feeling lightly hungover and numb until standing. Yes I couldn't breath out of my nose and yes my mouth became dry no matter the amount of water. 2nd night bad headache no sleep. Will try 25mg tomorrow. Not looking promising"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

"I've been on Trazadone for years. Went into menopause due to hysterectomy and suffered from insomnia and my sister was on it so I tried. My experience is a positive one, I started at 50mg and made my way to 100mg at bedtime only. I have found on an empty stomach I can suffer nausea so I tend to eat a few crackers prior so this doesn't happen. Occasionally, I'll feel hyper but that's a rare occasion. All in all, I've been using it for years and now I'm actually only taking 50mg at bedtime and if I wake and can't get back to sleep I'll take another 50mg. I've never woken groggy like I have with other sleep aids so for me it works."

Mustang Valley February 14, 2016

"I have had a sleeping disorder for many years because of a back injury. Before using this medication, I would wake up 4 to 5 times a night and often not be able to return to sleep. When I first started this medication, I didn't realize much benefit for the first week. But after that, I started reducing the number of times I would wake up. I have now used it for three months and only wake up one time a night and that is to go the bathroom. I have no problem immediately going back to sleep and generally sleep 7 to 8 hours. I have had no side effects and no carrying over problems the next morning. I feel totally rested, refreshed and ready for the next day. I take a 100 mg dose and highly recommend this medication."

Structureman (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2016

"I have not slept more than 4-5 hrs at a time for 30 years until finally I couldn't take it any more. I had heard of melatonin and tried it for about 6 months, 50mg kinda worked I slept 5 hrs at a time. When I talked to my Doctor about my sleep problem I was prescribed Trazadone, I totally understand why people function so much better with 8 full hours of sleep. I am a new person who is a lot more pleasant to be around. I have taken trazadone for the past couple of years and couldn't be more pleased."

DianeOmite February 11, 2016

"My doctor assumed that I was currently depressed because I was not sleeping, but it was actually the other way around. I was in the worst depression of my life. I couldn't sleep, stopped eating, lost weight, and for the most part, even stopped going to work. I don't know how else to explain it other than I just couldn't. I couldn't do anything. And then trazadone. About a week after I began taking it, it was like I "woke up". I got out of bed. I even cleaned my house and did laundry, and smiled. It was and is amazing. I take 25mg at night (with my regular 150mg Effexor), and it's changed everything for me. I feel normal again."

Elizabeth_A February 10, 2016

"Took this medicine July 2015- early December 2015 for insomnia, with the dosage at 25 mg, and this stuff really knocked me out for 9 hours straight every night. However, it left groggy until the evening next day, even with Caffiene. Afterwards, I stupidly decided to see if I could go without Trazadone for sleep and I slept really badly for the next month, until I started the Trazadone back up. This time, the Trazadone worked for about 3 days before it stopped working, even with me bumping up the dosage being 100mg. Sure it MAYBE can help with sleep, just don't develop a reliance on them."

notwhatiexpected (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

"I work nights and have struggled to sleep during the day for over a year. I've tried melatonin, otc sleep aids, completely darkened room, etc etc. I went to my doc last week and was prescribed trazodone to start at 25 mg. I still didn't sleep better than usual. Yesterday I took the 50 mg and became violently ill an hour after, my heart was racing for remainder of the day and I was dizzy. I admit I was terrified I was dying because I'd never felt that way before. Needless to say, I'm not going to continue with this drug."

AmberinTN February 4, 2016

"Need to take with another med. Sometimes feel groggy next day."

emeraldeyesinnj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

"I've suffered from insomnia most of my adult life, tried several meds but usually woke up cranky and zoned out. I was prescribed Trazadone and I am getting my full 8 hours every night. Pleasant dreams with no hangover, I highly recommend this product but of course everyone will react differently, I'm 48 and I'm finally sleeping a full night, I am completely happy with this product"

Zane 1967 February 2, 2016

"25mg puts me to sleep but I wake during night repeatedly. 50mg puts me to sleep but I still wake up during night, maybe a bit less%u2026 AND I get medicine head/fog in the morning, which I don't like. I like when my morning coffee clears the cobwebs, but with this drug, the cobwebs hang around so I'm left wondering, "why bother taking it?". Gonna take 50mg tonight just because I need to get a better night's sleep than last 2 w/out it. Desperate so trying again."

SMB2016 January 28, 2016

"I take 200mg of trazadone every night and still do not sleep all night Have began to notice night sweats every night wake up all clothing and bed damp from the sweats, any one else have this problem ? I have been taking this med for two years and this has just started recently . Not a comfortable feeling and still no real sleep ."

littlemama83301 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 27, 2016

"Couldn't sleep. Dr prescribed 50mg and 10 minutes after taking this medicine I felt extreme anxiety and felt panic . Heart racing. Looked it up immediately and saw it was a side effect with some people. But it is not scarier than not sleeping. Will tell Dr next time I go in what happened. Now just up when I can't sleep and hoping there is something that will help. I tried ambien which worked for a while but had an episode of sleep walking on it. I don't know what else there is to try. Did all the natural otc stuff and exercised more but I still wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall asleep again. Healthy 54 year old woman, 110lbs 5'4. Widowed started happening after my husband passed away tried antidepressants too"

Cocodrie1961 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"I'm 21, and in the military so high stress job and long hours. I used to go to sleep at approximately 11-1AM and have wake up at 0430 for PT. This medication has helped me immensely. I got it prescribed after coming back from leave and having jetlag, and not being able to sleep more than three hours. I would wake up feeling slightly "refreshed" and unable to go back to sleep. I've had issues sleeping since I was about 8/9 years old. I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to in high school due to sleep issues and what not. But now that I'm on trazadone I feel much more productive. In bed by 8:20, asleep by 8:45/9:00 on weekdays.I sleep an amazing 8,7 hours. Heartbeat was fast the first time, and last night. I feel confident, organized."

Anonymous January 20, 2016