User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"If I could give it a 0, I would absolutely do so. Started at 50mg, and felt WIRED. Wanted to get up and clean the house! Bumped it to 100mg, less wired, but still wide awake all night. Bumped to 150, with the same lack of effect. MD informed me after this dose it becomes less effective for sleep, so why even bother. 15 years of trying different sleep medications and alternatives, and this, I can say for sure, was the LEAST effective I have ever come across. At it's low price point, feel free to give it a try, and maybe you will be luckier? Everyone's sleep conditions are different. But if you get hyper after benadryl, expect the same reaction to this drug."

JeccaLeigh (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely worthless. Those who see an effect are probably just falling for the placebo effect. If you have real sleep problems and want your life back, get a real sleep medicine. Trazadone is not one; it's an antidepressant and a crappy one at that. Ambien, Lunesta and benzos are proper sleep meds and will enduce sleep. Trazadone is a pill filled with worthlessness. You may as well take a pill filled with sawdust."

Stevebuzz82 October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone works well for my insomnia. I take a low dose. 25 to 50 mgs before bedtime. This medication works well with a light snack since it helps the medication work better. My only complaint is that I feel a a little hungover the next day but that is common with any medication for sleep. I seem to sleep a lot better now and don't seem to struggle as much to get asleep."

Sleepless in ohio October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The secret to successful Trazodone use is to take it at the same time every night. I do 8:30. Then you need to go to bed within an hour for me.... if I don't go to bed relatively soon after taking it the opposite effect sometimes happens. I get a solid sleep. No movement,vivid dreams which I actually look forward to."

Blondie1954 October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Idk about this. I took it last night, about 20 mins later, I got real fuzzy in my head and my body was heavy feeling. I tossed and turned for a few mins then went to sleep. The next morning though, ohmygosh, I do not like the feeling of being groggy all flippin day. My heart races, I feel weird. I don't like it and I'm not going to take it anymore."

Nonickname October 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone is a complicated drug. It works for some, but for others there are a myriad of side effects. For me, and my insomnia, it worked for a week or two. Then, it became ineffective, even though I doubled the dose from 50 to 100 MG. If you suffer from depression, check your nortriptyline level if you are on pamelor or a generic version. Pamelor is still an effective tricyclic anti-depressant that is used to also treat sleeplessness or insomnia. Yes, it also has some side effects, but its major one is that it makes you tired, which is why it is usually prescribed at bedtime. My spouse has tried trazodone and found it to be very effective, even for a longer period of time. One medication does not work for all people."

denspin (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"been on zolpidem for 10yrs. Tolerance was so high it became ineffective. started w/25mg. and kept getting up after about 3-4hrs (half life). titrated to 50mg for 6 days and still not much better. went to 75mg and moved time taken from 8:30pm to 9:30 and now when I do get up, I am falling back to sleep quickly. I have found one needs to give these meds time to work."

mark gentile September 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just prescribed Trazodone for severe insomnia. First night took 75 mg, immediate and deep sleep till morning but what I would call a hangover effect for rest of day. Woke up with severe cramp in calf muscle. Headache, eyeballs hurt oddly enough, tired throughout day, etc. Last night took perhaps 30 mg which took longer for sleep but it still worked for the insomnia, but again a heavy sense of hangover and fatigue throughout the day. Crampy calves. The doctor says these side effects should subside within a week but I'm not sure. So my take on it is that it works really well for insomnia, but the side effects during the day, if they continue, are totally not worth it. Basic waste of entire day. There's enough variety in the comments I have read that I may keep giving it a try for a time. I find a variety of responses to it kind of strange and interesting."

Amp11111 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It makes me while feeling sleepy and walking afterwards: bump into walls most days I think, but then I have Epitol I take with it too. My foggy tiredness afterward, doesn't last, and I take it around 9:30 or 10 at night, usually. Fortunately, at 50mgs now (25mgs lower), I can fall asleep the way I used to on 75mgs, as I've also cut down on Tegretol, some. I am not taking any Anti-depressants or anti-Psychotics or Hydroxypam for sleep these days, so: Trazodone does help me, but I don't get sleepy til about 3-4:15 A.M. I sleep 8-10 hours with it though. I'd have no quality sleep or sleep at all, without it. I must also say: sometimes after taking it or Tegretol even, I feel the need for vitamin C with Bioflavonoids or D3. Then I can sleep."

Rodikenley September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent medication! very effective for insomnia and mild depression. If you wake up feeling groggy it's probably because you are taking too much; try half. I take 25 to 50mg at night, have a restful sleep, and wake up in the morning a bit sleepy but I have some coffee and take a shower and problem solved. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I've tried Ambien, Melatonin, Lunesta, Magnesium, Valerian Root to sleep; Zoloft, Fluoxetine, Wellbutrin, and Celexa for depression. This medication is by far the best I've tried for BOTH! Sleep issues and mild depression. Give it a try! 41 years old female with long history of insomnia and mild depression."

Lululand (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first night I took 1 and I slept so good, but that is probably also because I was running on 2 hours of sleep that day. 2nd night I took 2 at 10pm and finally fell asleep at 4am. 3rd night I took 2 at 1am, took another half at 5:30am and took the other half (total of 3 pills) at 8:30am, finally fell asleep at 9am. Doctor told me I wouldn't have the groggy feeling when I woke up. I was so groggy the last 2 days that I had taken it the night before. If I would move too fast the room would spin, this was over 12 hours of taking the last pill. I called my dr and told her to cancel the prescription because I am not taking them any more"

Snitz2016 September 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"so I'm bipolar and have several other anxieties. My psych proscribed me trazodone to ease me into sleeping...well today is the 2nd night I've taken it and I'm one step away from going to the ER! I took it at 10 and it's almost 5am now and I have yet to sleep. I had a numbness in my body almost like when your foot falls asleep but throughout my WHOLE body, my nose got stuffed up, I'm nauseous, my heart was racing! I started to get a panic attack like no tomorrow. Now I have a huge headache and my eyes hurt! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MEDICATION AT ALL."

Hgabrielle September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on ambien for years...sleep walking...not staying asleep. Asked doc to try trazodone...last night I took 25mg at bed time an hour later took 25mg...took first dose at 8:30 it did nothing! Took second dose an hour later. After midnight i took my ambien...went right to sleep. Trazodone is not cooperating!"

Jam lady (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking 50mg. of trazodone, been taking it 2 nights, and it does nothing, 1st. night got to sleep around 4 o'clock, 2nd night 5:30 am. Going to try taking 2 pills tonight, here's hoping."

cepher September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff did not help me sleep whatsoever... and when I DID sleep, it gave me horrible nightmares, sleep paralysis, and very vivid/strange dreams."

Alois (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on the 50MG and The first night of taking trazadone was great slept straight 8hours. The next day didn't work at all. Was up all night. I believe that it hasn't worked as great as the first time. I took one tab(50mg) and can't sleep.(tonight 2a) Should I go one more tab 100mg? Afraid it could do me harm? I am getting more sleep than before but still not enough. I am 5ft 2in around 150 pounds "

Miliescobar94 September 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For anxiety and insomnia was amazed by its effectiveness, first time in many many years I can recall sleeping 8 hours straight, a very pleasant experience, was very refreshed after an 8 hour sleep and this BTW was with taking 1/2 a tablet ..also like that it's not habit forming will use only when needed ....."

silverRidge September 17, 2016

silverRidge September 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking 1 50gm pill I was awake all night with my toes and fingers burning, diarrhea, light headed and dizzy, dry mouth, and generally a bad feeling all over. I am very sensitive to narcotics and even after surgery I can't tolerate them. The only meds I take are Tylenol so there shouldn't be any interaction. This was worst than any experience I've had. This was the first time and it will be my last. My doctor has prescribed Rameron (Auro-Mirtazapine 15 mg) as an alternative but I am afraid do what that will do. I know I won't try Teva-Trazodone again no matter if I can never sleep again!"

Eber (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 55 and started not sleeping through the night especially after frequent business trips about 10 years ago. Started taking Ambien as needed, then almost every night which left me not feeling rested and recently only sleeping 3 or 4 hours. Doctor suggested 1 or 2 50mg Trazodone. I tried first time about 10 days ago. 1 made me feel physically very relaxed, like a muscle relaxer, but did not sleep. 2 almost made me feel sick...almost flu like. I finally fell asleep about 6 hours after I took it, and it was such a weird heavy sleep...I couldn't move. Last night I decided to try again. Same thing, heavy feeling but light sleep. Actually woke up 6 hrs later, read for a bit, then super heavy sleep but dreamed a lot. I couldn't get up until 9:15"

JSBneedsleep (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have PTSD as a result of the 1968 TET offensive. It got much worse after I retired. A good night's sleep became 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. VA had me on Prozac which did nothing for the sleep but helped in my awake hours. Then I was given Trazadone 50 mg and told to split it in half 1 hour before bed. I was also told not to increase the dose, but cutting in half again,may help. I did this and now sleep the night getting 6 to 7 hours with only one short break. Dreams are back after becoming all but nonexistant other than flashbacks. My life is greatly improved."

TET Offensive September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Trazodoe 50MG for insomnia which I took last night, within a matter of time I became a bit dizzy and my RLS became uncomfortable ...this continued for a few hours. I did fall asleep after about 4 hrs and slept for about 6 hrs. Upon awaking I was no longer dizzy but I felt a little off to the point of being light headed....I will not take this med again....it is very hard to deal with the restless legs while being dizzy and tired...this medication is not for me."

redskynite (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from insomnia derived from an anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I have taken trazodone 50mg for sleep for 10 days. The first night, I slept for 13 hours straight. I was extremely fatigued throughout the day for the first 4-5 days on this drug, but I was sleeping through the night for the first time in months, so that side effect was worth it to me. Last night, I took the 50mg tablet, laid down to sleep, and woke up refreshed 9 hours later. No fatigue today whatsoever. This is the first time in a very long time that I woke up feeling well rested and (dare I say it) almost cheerful. Take it a good hour before you want to be asleep in order to avoid tossing and turning at first."

ADAGalloway September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Like so many that have posted here. Have been on Ambian for quite a while, not every night but at least 3-4 times per week. I was eventually up to 2 10 mg tabs to be able to get to sleep but only for about 2-3 hrs. Doc put me on Trazedone because I requested something different. Took one 50 mg when laying in bed and ready for sleep. After about 2 hours, I final fell asleep without it's help. Slept for about 4 hours total. Strong vivid unpleasant dream, cotton mouth and a hangover headache the next morning. Going back to the doc today to give him the bottle w/ 29 of the 30 left."

Tired Nate September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trazodone work great for me and I don't wake up with that hangover feeling."

nikkieraine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016