User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Bipolar Disorder 64 reviews 33 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 9 reviews 46 medications

5.5
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 124 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Seroquel XR

For Bipolar Disorder "This med is pretty wonderful for my bipolar mania and my bipolar depression. Only set back is the sedation, but at the same time I've always struggled with anciety, so this side effect is okay with me as it helps the anxiety. Really saved my life."

AngelBunny0316 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

For Depression "I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again."

This is Kris (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "First of all, let me start by saying that I hear that this is an expensive drug because of how new it is. Luckily for me (perhaps, lol), my insurance considera me catastrophic due to my checkered past, and pays the entire price because they want me to take this medication and stfu lol. Since taking Seroquel XR, my life has improved so much, and I really have never felt more stable in my life. I've tried anticonvulsants and other antipsychotics and they have not worked for me. This medication really does, to my surprise! The only downfall is that I've gained 10 pounds taking it, but any antipsychotic will do that. Strongly recommend Seroquel XR!"

JoeyBBY92 July 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I really noticed a negative difference when comparing the XR version to the regular Seroquel. It took longer to kick in and made me so drowsy at work that I felt like I was drunk. I think I was taking 100-200 mg. When I went back to regular Seroquel, 100-200 mg put me to sleep fast and made a difference in stabilizing my mood without me feeling too drowsy to function the next day."

xRavenx June 6, 2016

For Depression "I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect."

garybooberry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Been on regular seroquel for 4 years fine. Started this for mania/depression and paranoid thoughts. Awful. Weaned up from 50mg to 450mg then back down to off in 1 week. Stomach pains. Out of touch with reality. Groggy. Weight gain immediatley. It helped the symptoms, but no way to live."

Jt131.31 April 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed seroquel xr for Bipolar depression My dr started me on 50mg and I am gradually increasing the dosage its been about 4 weeks and I am currently taking 200 mg I will agree that it has helped the hopelesness feelings and suicidal thoughts Which is a plus but the zombie like feeling and dry mouth are tough I have a job that requires constant activity its hard to keep up have to definitely slow down My Dr advised me that these side affects are all normal and eventually I will get used to it can't wait for this to happen"

shortie62 April 9, 2016

For Depression "It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)"

muDraconis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Quetiapine MR for around 9 months. 300mg at night. Found it far less sedating than Olanzapine. Its been a miracle for my Bipolar, absolutely no depression and no manic episodes. Yeah I put on weight but the effects on my mood and mental health have been incredible."

p-mo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered from major depression since early adolescence, and have been exposed to over 2 dozen different anti depressants in the last 30 years. Expensive, ineffective, grossly negative side effects to skin and, chronic fatique daily. Trying another high cost drug a desperate last resort. Each dirty little pill failed, with accumulated cost of more than $15,000 to the patient asking for help Negligent dispensation of Seroquel XR also resulted in near fatal car wreck for the patient. Aside from losing my car, and job, I was priveleged to gain 40 pounds, .... and counting. Chronic insomnia kills drivers, truckers, pilots, boat captains every day. Drug companies need try a lot harder to promote healing, rather than just bank roll profits"

Wretched Life54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "OK, it's only early days, day 4 to be exact on 50mg morning and night. It's amazing! After reading all the horror stories of the tranquilliser effects, zombie like states+cravings. Its an understatement when I said I was petrified what effect this would have on me. First day within an hour of taking it, I slept for six hours woke up feeling fine, refreshed even. Then dosed up in the evening at 9, again, asleep by 11, slept like a baby. 7am Woke feeling energised, lighter, happier. No drowsiness or brain fuzz! I feel so much more positive about life in general. I feel so blissfully normal! Day 4 still napping within 4 hrs of dose for 2 hrs max but I could push through it. And still sleeping all night!"

Jenneh-mu (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently 30 and a male. My depression has only worsened since (and before) my initial diagnosis of depression and generalized, social and "acute" anxiety 13 years ago. I've been in a major depression for at least five years, tried to kill myself twice and am unable to take care of myself. I've lived alone since I left for college in 2003. I still live alone here. I've been on any SSRI I can think of, so this was a last resort med. Seroquel has made me much too tired to work or do anything else. The only stars I gave it relate to the reduced anxiety when I'm ACTUALLY AWAKE. Other than that, I'm more numb than I ever and are at risk of losing my job"

Might be done January 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on citolopram (celexa), lithium 1250 mg daily and olanzapine 20 mg and a lot of benzos. A state run mental health clinic opened in a local town so I stopped seeing the private psychiatrist and started to attend the public clinic. The psychiatrist was revolutionary. She immediately stopped the anti-depressant because it was elevating mood into mania. She dropped lithium to one dose at night to aid kidney wear and tear. She stopped olanzapine because I was still having mild persistent psychosis and put me on 800mg of quetiapine (seroquel). The first week was tough I was very nauseous and sleepy but once my body adjusted it was much better. The mix of quetiapine and lithium is really working for me."

mrsnowe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently taking 150mg seroquel XR along with 45mg Remeron for MDD I take them both at night, To help with my sleep. It also is to help my anxiety disorder. I've noticed that I am less depressed and anxious, But that's only because I'm so depersonalised I can't focus on my surroundings, Let alone my anxiety I constantly feel stuck in a dream-like state and I can't focus. Even as I write this I'm struggling to find the words,and describe how I feel, Because I don't feel much of anything I haven't had many other side effects, even when I drastically increased the dose All in all, It technically does help, But this is no way to live"

Haley_1182 December 28, 2015

For Depression "I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life."

robbieMac (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Absolutely amazing drug. Has quite literally saved my life. Pity I need to lie to the Australian government about having bipolar to get it prescribed. No doubt this is stopping many thousands of Australians from getting access to it. Seriously. I went from suicidal for several months to absolutely normal in one dose. One dose. Talk to your doctor about this if anti depressants are not working for you. Understand it may require you to lie about having bipolar."

BelindaAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Depression "My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit."

Arri (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

For Depression "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope."

Issy96 November 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "This was the absolute worst medication i have ever taken. What a nightmare!! To begin with I was taking Duloxetine 60 mg 1x a day, Wellburtin Xl 300mg 1x a day, Valium 10mg 3x a day, morphine 30 mg 2x a day oxycodone 20mg 4x a day. I was doing just fine or do I thought. I had a change of Doctors, due to the fact that my Doctor left this practice. Not sure the reason for this medication. Never Again!! After starting that medication once it really got in my system, my worst fear came to reality. I totally went outside my mind to the point my daughter was so scared of my behavior she called the EMS. Upon arrival at the ER, after blood work was told I was overly medicated. Never Never Again!!! Awful!!"

Pony56 October 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I use Seroquel XR in addition to Tegretol XR and Geodon. It is sort of the adjunct to these primary medications. But it does it's job at keeping me stable when the base medication mix falls short."

Quitosenko (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking seroquel for a little over a year and a half now and it has been the best thing for me. I started off at 350mg when my mania was insanely uncontrollable. But after 2 months I was able to go down to 250 and ever since its been perfect because I don't fight the drowsiness in the mornings and get a great nights rest. I did gain weight, only 20 pounds, but I have always been extremely athletic (2 sport collegiate athlete) and it didn't really affect me at all. Just as long as it keeps the manic/depressive episodes on lock down I think I can handle a curvier body. I seriously reccommend this if you can handle a little weight gain!"

Ann2002 October 8, 2015

For Depression "I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life."

Kmtdstr (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "*English is not my main language, so if something is not understood, know why* From the age 16 to 17 I had depression and I had social anxiety, then I tried to kill myself and went into a mental hospital. The trauma I had there made me do the same thing again. They tried every single medicationon on me, and than they decided seroquel xr is the best med for me. It really made me be balanced, but also made be apathetic and not connected to my feelings and thoughts. My memory was terrible, and I barely talked. I stopped taking it for one day and went into a manic-psychotic mood and I'm writing it from another mental hospital. I'm happy that I stopped taking this, I wanna feel alive, not like a zombie"

Liah September 6, 2015

For Depression "Hate this med. Constantly sick on it. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, passing out, severe dizziness and unable to wake up. Hungry for food all the time. Nasty taste in mouth. Thirsty all the time. Can't motivate myself to do anything. This was on the lowest dose available. Won't take it ever again don't care what my doctor says. No way."

sick constantly (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015