User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Major Depressive Disorder
5.7

Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 7.2 163 reviews

Reviews for Seroquel XR

"I'm taking Seroquel XR 100mg daily, in the evening, before sleeping, and Flunisann(Fluoxetine hydrochloride) 10mg (antidepressant) in the morning. I'm 30 years old, and have serious anxiety problems over 15 years, with few psychotic breaks, caused by stress and anxiety. I tried a lot of different types of medications over the years, and I always felt miserable and weak while taking medications plus I had some side effects, like weight gain, and I was more or less vegetable. Now, I'm taking Seroquel over 4 months, and I feel like old me again, my work is in creative fields, in which I achieve great results right now. If you watched movie "Limitless", that is my situation right now. Of course I have my low periods at times now too, but I have will and techniques to overcome it quickly. If you are in similar situation, I recommend you to try this therapy. I wish you well, cheers!"

Mil (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I take 400mg Seroquel XR once at night and 100mg of Lamictal 2x a day and Ativan 1mg 2x PRN. I have found that Seroquel XR has been a life saver. The immediate release made me sleep walk and sleep eat and would wear off halfway through the night. The XR stays in my system longer and helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. Only downfall is if I don't set an alarm on the weekends I could easily sleep 12+ hours."

Chica (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

For Depression "After being hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation, my psychiatrist decided to put me on Effexor and 150mg of seroquel. I was in the hospital while I started the medication, but at the beginning all I could do was sleep for a few days or so. I wasn’t affected by that too much because I was inpatient, but I read some others mentioning this and I can imagine it would definitely get in the way of trying to go about your everyday. Also my mouth was so dry and I lost my appetite (among other symptoms that I don’t really remember). Those symptoms, while very debilitating, subsided within a few weeks though and now I’m much better and I honestly rarely if ever feel depressed any more! I was very reluctant to go on medication but it’s kept me alive so I guess I can’t really hate it that much. This drug, while causing a lot of problems in the beginning, turned out to be a life saver (literally)."

mik (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Within 2 months, at a dose of 300mg, it completely changed my life. I have been on many meds and combinations for 20 years, but this (along with much soul- searching, personal responsibility and facing truth, therapy, and DBT skills) has stabilized my Bipolar I and almost cured by borderline personality disorder. I had resigned myself to a difficult and tragic life before this happened. I was inspired to move to a single med, because I was a long time user of Lithium, SSRI, Lamictal combo and wanted to try for a baby. This ended up giving me new life- my own."

KTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I am a male and I have been using seroquel for 17 years. I started with 25mg seroquel per day and then got up to seroquel xr 800mg per day. I have gained 10lbs or less in 17 years. I have experienced side effects and developed true gynecomastia that can only be removed through surgery that isn't covered by insurance. My prescribing doctor says I am too skinny and need to gain weight. My other doctor says I have gynecomastia that is noticeable when I take off my shirt. My doctor recommended that I get tested for male breast cancer and insurance covered the ultrasound and mammogram but because the gynecomastia isn't cancerous it's not covered by insurance. I don't recommend because I developed breast growth and breast pain while on it. I can't wear t shirts because people noticed my breast growth and feel the need to mention it in front of me"

Eli Johnson (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Unfortunately I have no idea what is wrong with me, but what I know is that Seroquel works great for me. I suffer from severe mood swings, mild psychosis, Generalised Anxiety, and have experienced mild religious auditory hallucinations. I switch dosages pretty often due to my mood swings because if I am manic I need more, and if I am depressed I need less because Seroquel works as a major sedative to kick mania and when I am depressed sedation is a con because it makes me more depressed. In general it does work but I am really sad that I have to take prescription medication in order to be normal."

TJGR (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking 200mg Seroquel XR for about two years. It does very well at neutralizing the intense, unpredictable, negative emotions that come with my depression and anxiety. And it does help me sleep a reliable 7 to 9 hours a night. HOWEVER: I've noticed it's not picky; it seems to neutralize positive emotions somewhat, too. Also, I'm very groggy in the mornings for 4 to 6 hours after waking up. And, worst of all, one time I forgot a dose and woke up in the middle of the night in a panic, super itchy, very hot, and drenched in sweat. So it seems I will have to take this med forever, or suffer some pretty severe consequences. Overall, a mixed bag, but the positives outweigh the negatives."

SymbaSymba (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2018

For Depression "It is ok for me, I can't say it helps that I can notice, I actually do not notice but my doctor says I have improved a lot. I don't get any side effects anymore on 200mg per night, it was ok for staying asleep too as I suffer massively broken sleep, it was no good for getting me to fall asleep. I rate it 5 since I personally see no improvement, but my doctor does."

Mikey111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Tried Seraquel ten years ago. Ended up driving when my body when into SEVERE convulsions. Was barely able to turn around and drive back home. Then, recently, ten years later I was prescribed SEROQUEL XR. Again. I didn’t make the connection to the first time. Took the 100mg dosage two nights ago. Uncontrollable convulsions and seizures. I have restless leg syndrome and my legs were flying all around. No way to lie down and sleep, so I walked around the house for four hours, occasionally I sitting at my desk for a bit. No sleep. Then, the next day I suffered the entire day suffering from cognitive dissonance. I kept going in and out of “the moment.” And I would spend about thirty seconds in this state, then return for a minute or two. This cycle went on all day long. Third day now and back to “normal.” Not taking anything now."

Felix99 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Depression "First, I'm not schizophrenic, nor have I been diagnosed as bipolar.. I take this for drug induced anxiety I was initially given Seroquel XR because I exhibited rapid speech & a disorganized thought pattern during my (continual) intoxication by kratom. Kratom is a 'natural', legal substance with opioid and stimulant qualities. Well, I noticed right off that Seroquel XR calmed my racing thoughts. I saw this as a benefit -- but the next move was for me to quit using kratom. I got help for that via SUBOXONE, which I'm still on. My whole life & way of thinking took a sharp turn for the better. I remain on the Seroquel XR, along with the SUBOXONE. When I questioned the continued need for Seroquel XR, my Dr. simply said, "Look, you're doing great. Why change a thing?" And he's right. So Seroquel XR remains a part of my daily recipe for success."

Tom Granthauser (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been taken it for five years. Major difference. Only things is my weight.and eating and drinking while I was sleeping."

BlaqueCynderella (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 28, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Seroquel XR saves my life! No more mania and no more suicidal thoughts in the past year of taking this med!it completely squashed my mania and stopped my racing thoughts better than any other medication! I still had some depression for a while, but not nearly as bad! My doctor recently added Lamictal for additional help on the depressive side, and I’ve never felt so stable in my life! Not to mention that Seroquel helps me sleep well for the first time in my life!:)"

VC8 December 22, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was taking 300 mg of Seroquel XR for 6 months. The best part was being able to get a good night’s sleep. I had only been getting 2-3 hrs rest each night. My mind would race and it was a struggle to stay in bed. I would get up and start cleaning. Additionally, I would spend hours creating plans to organize my life. I had not actually followed any of those plans and I was depressed. I took Latuda for a short period but it made my inability to sleep worse. That’s when I was switched to Seroquel. I loved the way it helped me feel normal. The bad - I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. I asked to be taken off and started taking Geodon. Once again I cannot sleep. I am going to ask to go back to Seroquel XR and focus on following a healthy diet."

Longhorn Grad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2017

For Depression "I've been on this for 4-5 years and it is my rock. It literally helps me so much, I couldn't have made it through high school without it. Honestly it's what helped me through my suicidal phases. I still get them but it's not as intense and I don't try and act on it anymore."

Alexis.M November 6, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I had the worst side-effect from this medication. I was originally prescribed it about a year ago for insomnia related to my Bipolar 2. It worked to get me to sleep, but eventually I started to have enormous amounts to rectal pain, so I went off of it when I stopped cycling. I was put on it again this year when my cycling started again, and I again had the same pain. It was absolutely awful. So I am off of it now and never want to be put on it again."

cute nut (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been taking Seroquel XR 800mg for almost 11 years. Before this I was taking low dose regular Seroquel for many years. It really helps me manage my schizoaffective disorder. I am also taking a doctors prescribed antihistamine hydroxyzine 50mg because I get hives while on seroquel XR. I have noticed male breast growth and hard glandular breast tissue build up under my breast during this year. I am also experincing breast pain. I am on a calorie restricted diet and have been exercising and lifting weights regularly for the past 10 years and have gained 5lbs to 10lbs in weight. I have low body fat and can do 70 push ups in a row easily so its not body fat."

Johnson Zen August 16, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Recently able to get the XR in generic form. This has been a complete life changing medication for me. It has improved all areas of my condition to a point I am fully capable to manage life without any other assistance."

mgoldapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Only take when needed. Mainly for it's sedative effects, though that doesn't always seem to work. Especially if I've been taking them for a few days in a row."

Darkness^6 June 17, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder "My family member has been on the brand name Seroquel XR since 2009. When Accord Healthcare came out with their generic version in Nov 2016, she had to get the generic in Jan. 2017 until she could get approved for the AZ & Me PAP. I can tell you that the generic does not have the same efficacy as the brand name as she started experiencing symptoms on Accord's generic. Now we find out that Astra Zeneca will no longer have the PAP after Dec. 2017. They did a good job of marketing their product and it has helped many patients manage their symptoms. However, if the generic versions don't have the same efficacy, thousands of patients risk decompensation and symptoms. Accord even has the nerve to charge over 1300 per month for their med."

mhadvocate June 4, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on immediate release version of Seroquel 200mg and the side effects were horrible! Everlasting hungover and craving for foods like if it's a drug or I would be going withdraw aka blood sugar crashes. So my Dr switched to seroquel 200mg extended release and it was a GODSEND form of drug! Barely any of sedating effects and even lack of any hungover.... And the best part was that I forgot to eat breakfast by accident several times in a week.... If for immediate release I would be going crazy for missing breakfast. Imagine that!"

Bipolarity Guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is a wonder drug. After 15 years of brutal bipolar symptoms (undiagnosed/ untreated) which destroyed my whole life, I now take 300mg at night and now I can have a normal life free of anxiety, mood swings, bipolar symptoms etc, I hold down a responsible full-time job, healthy relationships and friendships, I have hobbies. I never had any of that before; my bipolar destroyed my whole life. Seroquel gave it back. I hear of people wanting to go off Seroquel.. I'm the opposite. I would go to any lengths to make sure I never have to go off it. I'll gladly spend the rest of my life on it, because it gives me a normal life, and I won't risk that for anything. I've been on it 3 years, no side effects."

Beltane (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017