User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Seroquel XR has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 185 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of those users who reviewed Seroquel XR reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Bipolar Disorder
7.6
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 7.0 185 reviews

Reviews for Seroquel XR

josianne May 25, 2021

For Depression: “I am diagnosed with BPD, severe anxiety and depression. I've tried multiple antidepressant before, and none of them worked for me. My doctor prescribed me 50 mg of Seroquel XR, and I take it before going to sleep. I have now been taking it for 3 months, and it literally saved my life. I've experienced some side effects at first, but now that my body is used to the medication, I feel so much better. I can go out, see friends, and do a lot of things I couldn't even think about doing 2 months ago. In contrary to a lot of people, I didn't gain weight yet, I even lost some. It also helps my mood swings and my dissociation. The only negative thing I can think of is the tiredness. But, if I get out of bed right away, I'm good for the day. I can recommend to not take it too late, because it can make it hard to wake up in the morning. In conclusion, I think it's a great medication and even if you're scared to take it, just give it a try and let it time to start working.”

Curlydeb · Taken for 10 years or more May 20, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been taking 800 mg Seroquel XR since 2012. I use to hold down two jobs . I always have worked since high school. I have no children , but was very close to my big family and involved in all events. Back in 2012 I had a hard time getting to sleep . Doctor put me on seroquel, said I was bipolar. I have never got mad at anyone and get along with everyone. I’m not an angry person. After taking this drug for awhile , it changed my life and ruined my relationship with family and friends. I became a zombie, I never answered my door and all I did was sleep. Missed out on many family events. Now my family are in my life and ask me what is wrong with me, I can’t stop moving my head from left to right., my doctor hasn’t done any blood work on me for several years. But he still has me taking these pills. I can’t function any more. The list goes on. I love life and always lived it. Until this drug came into my life”

Filthy April 13, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “My psychiatrist prescribed me Seroquel today for my type 2 bipolar disorder. I have been taking 1350mg Lithium and 200mg Lamotragine for seven years now but I have become toxic from the lithium because my kidneys aren't doing their job properly and my levels have been slowly rising over time. So now I'm slowly reducing my daily dose of lithium and starting on Seroquel tomorrow. I just want to know if it's a good combination.”

sarrakii · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2014

For Depression: “I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.”

WannaBeBetterForever February 7, 2014

For Depression: “I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.”

TOC Wildcat · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2013

For Depression: “After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.”

cdfig83 February 20, 2015

For Depression: “Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy.”

Anonymous February 2, 2012

For Depression: “I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles.”

Anonymous May 26, 2011

For Depression: “Seroquel XR has changed my life. I feel I am present again in my world. Before taking this medication I had very little hope that I would ever feel enthusiastic about life. I recognize myself again. I can't say enough about how excited I am about living. I tried so many therapies and had given up hope anything would work. The combination of my antidepressant and Seroquel XR was the key for me.”

shellwoo November 14, 2013

For Depression: “I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2013

For Depression: “I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!”

Anonymous June 2, 2011

For Depression: “Read a lot of bad things about Seroquel on the web. After a couple days tried it myself (100 mg a night) and I've found it amazing. It really helps with my anxiety and my hyperactive behavior. Just feel a lot more calm and settled in general. Don't believe everything you read. Just try it for a few nights and see how it suits you. Everyone is different.”

robbieMac · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2015

For Depression: “I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life.”

c · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been on it for about a month to treat my Bipolar Disorder at a very low dose. It’s worked WONDERS. I genuinely feel for the first time in my life “well adjusted”. I’m much less anxious and when I am anxious it’s just for a short time, not the entire day or days at a time. I also sleep much more soundly, am less susceptible to becoming overwhelmed by small tasks, my thoughts are generally more pleasant (there still are rough moments and intrusive thoughts, just less often now), and have had more “good” days in the past month than in the whole past 3 years. My only side effect has been dry mouth.”

Anonymous November 5, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Listen to me when I say never & I mean never experiment with this drug Seroquel or Seroquel XR. It will only make your anxiety worse & if you have OCD your in for a nightmare. Worst drug ever & it will not help with your symptoms what so ever & will only help you sleep at night. Do not & I repeat do not get on this medication. On top of that you will have some of the craziest thoughts you could ever imagine.”

Kmtdstr · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2015

For Depression: “I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life.”

Slim Chuggins · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Finally was able to get back on Quetiapine after adding fiber pills to my diet and I am loving sleep. Spent my whole life not sleeping well or at all lately (was up for almost a week a straight last year). Quetiapine IR was a sure fire way of knocking me out within an hour and staying asleep to well into the morning. Pretty groggy though and had to keep increasing my dose. My Pdoc recently sent the XR version into pharmacy instead and it is rather different. I don’t get knocked out right away which means I can create a better sleep hygiene routine. If I am more relaxed I don’t need to be put to sleep but gradually work my way into it. It does take a minute to fully wake up but I have to say I feel my overall mood remains pretty stable for most of the rest of the day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2014

For Depression: “Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.”

Sofie · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have Bipolar Disorder Type 2. I'm on Seroquel XR 150mg for 10 years now. Before I was on Seroquel 300mg for more than a year. I have tried different antipsychotic medicines combination for years but only Seroquel works for me. Changed my life for the better. I have chronic insomnia, tried all sleeping pills but only lasted for weeks then I couldn't sleep anymore. But Seroquel put me to sleep, deeper sleep and wake up feeling better. I just need to sleep every night on the same time. Also I gained weight, and the side effect when I feel groggy at night I feel hungry so I ended up eating at midnight. I know it sucks that I gained weight. Tried to stop taking it for few days then my depression attack me very sudden and my mood fluctuations. From then I never stop taking Seroquel and I feel better. I told to my psychiatrist that Seroquel is my best friend, without it I feel horrible. It is indeed a lifesaver.”

mik · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2018

For Depression: “After being hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation, my psychiatrist decided to put me on Effexor and 150mg of seroquel. I was in the hospital while I started the medication, but at the beginning all I could do was sleep for a few days or so. I wasn’t affected by that too much because I was inpatient, but I read some others mentioning this and I can imagine it would definitely get in the way of trying to go about your everyday. Also my mouth was so dry and I lost my appetite (among other symptoms that I don’t really remember). Those symptoms, while very debilitating, subsided within a few weeks though and now I’m much better and I honestly rarely if ever feel depressed any more! I was very reluctant to go on medication but it’s kept me alive so I guess I can’t really hate it that much. This drug, while causing a lot of problems in the beginning, turned out to be a life saver (literally).”

KassR July 28, 2008

For Depression: “Everyday I was very depressed or very angery for no apparant reason. It felt like my brain was all tangled and it was really hurting me, and had been for years. So I talked with my doctor, and she put me on 200mg seroquel. Since then I can think clearly and feel happy, I love it. You start at 25mg and work up to higher doses. Watch out though, if you try to start at 200mg it can knock you out for 24hrs, or at least it knocked me out.”

Happygirl31 October 19, 2010

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I was on Seroqyel for two years and loved it except at the beginning was very sleepy but went away after a few weeks. Very shaky but rather than that was wonderful. I am drug free and loving it today though, easy to go off it too.”

Issy96 November 10, 2015

For Depression: “I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope.”

annaholl September 23, 2009

For Insomnia: “I have suffered insomnia for many years and have tried numerous drugs on this list. Most of which failed to provide any relief. After just one dose of Seroquel XR, I slept a full 8 hours, and even took a nap during the day. My mood has changed, and I feel so much healthier now that I am able to get good, sound, NORMAL sleep. Two thumbs up for Seroquel XR. I highly recommend you discuss this drug with your physician if you are having CHRONIC trouble sleeping, NOT casual sleeping problems. It has changed my life. I hope this helps some other insomniacs out there who have been suffering for years, the way I had been. BEST OF LUCK to all of you.”

Mikfr November 28, 2014

For Depression: “I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.”

Symptomz January 31, 2011

For Depression: “I recently started Seroquel 50 MG for the first couple days and then up to 150 MG. This medication works great! It creates anxiolytic effects similar to Klonopin and relieves all my anxiety. I sleep well to. This medicine really knocks you out and makes you very sedated. Take at night. I can actually function thanks to this medication and it works excellently for paranoia, anxiety and depression also found it to work greatly for sleep. I was previously on Abilify which was very activating and gave me a lot of anxiety and I couldn't sleep more than 1-2 hours. On Seroquel I sleep a full 8 hours and I wake up refreshed and ready for the day. It controls my anxiety and works wonders. Side effects are: No sex drive and drowsiness.”

This is Kris · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2016

For Depression: “I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again.”

Smittyz August 18, 2008

For Depression: “For years I suffered from severe depression, doctors must have tried every different medicine of this nature in hopes to help me, however it wasn't until I was given seroquel that I began to feel better, and sleep like a baby. At first I would sleep 12 to 14 hours after taking the medicine, then I began to get used to it. I haven't had a bout of depression in 3 years. I can sleep again but now around 8 hours a night. I can honestly say I love this pill. Even with the side effects of hunger it's totally worth it. ”