User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Bipolar Disorder 71 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 11 reviews 46 medications

5.5
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 136 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Seroquel XR

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have depression with anxious disitress.My extremely racing thoughts would typically whip me up into a panicky state, sometimes with outbursts of irrational anger. Seroquel XR works fantastically to ease that racing mind, to a more 'normal'and useful pace. Side effects are virtually absent: the XR doesn't floor me like immediate release Seroquel did. I can function and think well. Seroquel XR is a good medicine. It also helps with my depression."

Global Man January 25, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "been great for me except for the weight gain , I just want to eat all the time"

Shazza Hall October 23, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Hi I'm taking seroquel XR 400mg.it all started last winter with my psychosis episode. I went a bit manic,anexity,depression.wont get into details. I went in mental hospital for 2 months,there is where i started taking seroquel. to be honest 1st 2 weeks i have been vomiting every single night,had dizzines so hard that I had to hold walls while walking down the hallway.Its fine because at that point I didn't know if its just a bad dream or reality.after period of let's say 2 months I got much better.still i was feeling like my emotions, vocabularity, thought's was really in bad condition. as time passes I got used to it (im using it for 10months now.) DONT DO COLD TURKEY!!!"

sin47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with psychotic features. I was put in intensive out patient care after going to the Emergency Room for intense auditory hallucinations that were so malicious I feared for my own life. Lost my job and everything. Seroquel has given me hope as well as lorazepam for my anxiety. To me seroquel is a miracle drug for its antipsychotic features as well as depression. I'm having to up the dosage lately because my voices are creeping back in. Searching for further pychiactric help but right now I'm stable and I thought that would be impossible. Sharing a good experience. Thanks for reading."

Keylimeisbomb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been on Seroquel XR 25mg (once before bed) for about 6 months now and my life has completely changed for the better. Yeah, the weight gain is a pain but its a small price to pay for normality. Social anxiety / severe insomnia has not been an issue for months!! Am finally myself again. Have tried other antipsychotics but nothing works as well as this one. Only downside is an insatiable appetite - but you can minimize weight gain by substituting with fruits etc, which is what Im currently doing."

vanillacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "1200mg xr per day worked and stopped my mental process enough to pave the road to recovery. I developed arthritis in both hands and the most savage ADDICTION ever known to man i was now facing. I have now stopped compleatly and all the words and reviews can never prepare you for such an experience. I took the cold turky approach and 3 months of violent withdrawls i have stayed clear. I WOULD RECOMMEND OTHER TREATMENTS BEFORE THIS AS A LAST RESORT. It saved my life but at what cost. I still have mental health issues amd arthritis but i quickly get on with my day when i realise i could be back taking them."

Dave's truth.. (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This med is pretty wonderful for my bipolar mania and my bipolar depression. Only set back is the sedation, but at the same time I've always struggled with anciety, so this side effect is okay with me as it helps the anxiety. Really saved my life."

AngelBunny0316 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again."

This is Kris (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "First of all, let me start by saying that I hear that this is an expensive drug because of how new it is. Luckily for me (perhaps, lol), my insurance considera me catastrophic due to my checkered past, and pays the entire price because they want me to take this medication and stfu lol. Since taking Seroquel XR, my life has improved so much, and I really have never felt more stable in my life. I've tried anticonvulsants and other antipsychotics and they have not worked for me. This medication really does, to my surprise! The only downfall is that I've gained 10 pounds taking it, but any antipsychotic will do that. Strongly recommend Seroquel XR!"

JoeyBBY92 July 16, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I really noticed a negative difference when comparing the XR version to the regular Seroquel. It took longer to kick in and made me so drowsy at work that I felt like I was drunk. I think I was taking 100-200 mg. When I went back to regular Seroquel, 100-200 mg put me to sleep fast and made a difference in stabilizing my mood without me feeling too drowsy to function the next day."

Anonymous June 6, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect."

garybooberry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Been on regular seroquel for 4 years fine. Started this for mania/depression and paranoid thoughts. Awful. Weaned up from 50mg to 450mg then back down to off in 1 week. Stomach pains. Out of touch with reality. Groggy. Weight gain immediatley. It helped the symptoms, but no way to live."

Jt131.31 April 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed seroquel xr for Bipolar depression My dr started me on 50mg and I am gradually increasing the dosage its been about 4 weeks and I am currently taking 200 mg I will agree that it has helped the hopelesness feelings and suicidal thoughts Which is a plus but the zombie like feeling and dry mouth are tough I have a job that requires constant activity its hard to keep up have to definitely slow down My Dr advised me that these side affects are all normal and eventually I will get used to it can't wait for this to happen"

shortie62 April 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Quetiapine MR for around 9 months. 300mg at night. Found it far less sedating than Olanzapine. Its been a miracle for my Bipolar, absolutely no depression and no manic episodes. Yeah I put on weight but the effects on my mood and mental health have been incredible."

p-mo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered from major depression since early adolescence, and have been exposed to over 2 dozen different anti depressants in the last 30 years. Expensive, ineffective, grossly negative side effects to skin and, chronic fatique daily. Trying another high cost drug a desperate last resort. Each dirty little pill failed, with accumulated cost of more than $15,000 to the patient asking for help Negligent dispensation of Seroquel XR also resulted in near fatal car wreck for the patient. Aside from losing my car, and job, I was priveleged to gain 40 pounds, .... and counting. Chronic insomnia kills drivers, truckers, pilots, boat captains every day. Drug companies need try a lot harder to promote healing, rather than just bank roll profits"

Wretched Life54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "OK, it's only early days, day 4 to be exact on 50mg morning and night. It's amazing! After reading all the horror stories of the tranquilliser effects, zombie like states+cravings. Its an understatement when I said I was petrified what effect this would have on me. First day within an hour of taking it, I slept for six hours woke up feeling fine, refreshed even. Then dosed up in the evening at 9, again, asleep by 11, slept like a baby. 7am Woke feeling energised, lighter, happier. No drowsiness or brain fuzz! I feel so much more positive about life in general. I feel so blissfully normal! Day 4 still napping within 4 hrs of dose for 2 hrs max but I could push through it. And still sleeping all night!"

Jenneh-mu (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently 30 and a male. My depression has only worsened since (and before) my initial diagnosis of depression and generalized, social and "acute" anxiety 13 years ago. I've been in a major depression for at least five years, tried to kill myself twice and am unable to take care of myself. I've lived alone since I left for college in 2003. I still live alone here. I've been on any SSRI I can think of, so this was a last resort med. Seroquel has made me much too tired to work or do anything else. The only stars I gave it relate to the reduced anxiety when I'm ACTUALLY AWAKE. Other than that, I'm more numb than I ever and are at risk of losing my job"

Might be done January 19, 2016