User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Schizoaffective Disorder 5.1
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 7.2 177 reviews

Reviews for Seroquel XR

Slim Chuggins · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Finally was able to get back on Quetiapine after adding fiber pills to my diet and I am loving sleep. Spent my whole life not sleeping well or at all lately (was up for almost a week a straight last year). Quetiapine IR was a sure fire way of knocking me out within an hour and staying asleep to well into the morning. Pretty groggy though and had to keep increasing my dose. My Pdoc recently sent the XR version into pharmacy instead and it is rather different. I don’t get knocked out right away which means I can create a better sleep hygiene routine. If I am more relaxed I don’t need to be put to sleep but gradually work my way into it. It does take a minute to fully wake up but I have to say I feel my overall mood remains pretty stable for most of the rest of the day.”

Redfoxy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Hello, I have been taking seroquel XR for just over a year now, started with 25mgs dose, now up to 200mgs dose. I found that my thoughts are controllable, relatively a good sleeping aid. Just be careful not to eat after an hour or so of taking certain brands of this medication. Seroquel XR blue/white pack 100mgs makes anything hard to swallow even water. Best to go straight to bed. Would like to try managing my own emotions and thoughts one day without medication. I hope for everyone who struggles. Thank you and good luck!”

TyTy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 26, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I was on Seroquel XR 300mg for a year. It worked for the most part but the sleepiness during the day was just to much for me. I gained 83 pounds and developed NA-Fatty Liver Disease from it. Can’t say I would recommend this medication.”

lavenderbunni January 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “My mother rushed me to the hospital because I refused to get out of bed/wouldn’t stop talking about suicide. I was so tired from feeling LOW everyday, I thought there was no way I would ever regain will to live. Dr. rx’d me Seroquel 25mg once at bedtime so at least I wasn’t thinking about ending my life anymore. Suddenly I felt really heavy-drunk and could barely walk. The first day I slept for 20hr and when I woke up I was too tired to keep up my previous behaviour. After a couple days I whittled 20hr down to 8 and was sleeping normally. 6 months later I am at 100mg and 6 month away from that I am now on XR 200mg. Never have I felt better about my life. This is a tranquilizer. If you expect to drive cars/operate machines, you are seriously mistaken. It should not be taken in the morning due to its sedating effects. If you are someone who doesn’t need to “dull your brain”, I highly suggest you ask your doctor for another medication. There’s a reason it’s dubbed the shut-up-drug.”

Blixa · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Have had major depression and major depressive episodes over 45 years. Have tried various SSRI,s . Seroquel is the best so far helped me significantly with one 25mg dose. Where the SSRI,s did not seem to help much at all after months of use. Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor. Side effects seem to be minor except it does make me sleep a lot. A LOT. up to 10 hours a day. Deep sleep not just REM sleep. Works extremely well for me. Although I try to use it only when I need it. In short periods of 2 weeks or so and then see if I still require it. Very effective. I can honestly say this drug saved me from the edge of desperation and suicide.”

Tommo · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 26, 2019

“I have been taking 25mg for over 7 years Great tablet does exactly what it’s supposed to do . After taking it I’m generally asleep within 2 hr period . No side affects at all for me . If you eat healthy food I and exercise no weight gain . I fined it works best when taken some time everyday .”

Nissan 261 · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

For Depression: “All is does for me is help me sleep. I'm addicted to it now..!! Can't sleep without it.. And it cost $100.00 a month!!! I wouldn't recommend me to anyone...!!!”

pika2334 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 7, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug Seroquel extended release is amazing. Way better than the regular serequel. It really helps my mood. It helps me sleep and less sedating. I don't feel like a zombie in the morning”

Sofie · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have Bipolar Disorder Type 2. I'm on Seroquel XR 150mg for 10 years now. Before I was on Seroquel 300mg for more than a year. I have tried different antipsychotic medicines combination for years but only Seroquel works for me. Changed my life for the better. I have chronic insomnia, tried all sleeping pills but only lasted for weeks then I couldn't sleep anymore. But Seroquel put me to sleep, deeper sleep and wake up feeling better. I just need to sleep every night on the same time. Also I gained weight, and the side effect when I feel groggy at night I feel hungry so I ended up eating at midnight. I know it sucks that I gained weight. Tried to stop taking it for few days then my depression attack me very sudden and my mood fluctuations. From then I never stop taking Seroquel and I feel better. I told to my psychiatrist that Seroquel is my best friend, without it I feel horrible. It is indeed a lifesaver.”

Barbe1ine August 16, 2019

“Because of my sleep problems my MD started me with 50mg of Quetiapine and it is awful. Had an appointment a week later and requested 25mg. Even this is horrible, my only issues are that I am unable to sleep 5 hours per night. I have gained 30 pounds around my mid section over the last 2 years. I have cut the pill in quarters, meaning I take now 6.25mg for sleep. I have also taken Lorazepam for 35 years solely to sleep. Another 2 weeks and I will no longer take Seroquel since this stuff makes me feeling sick in the morning. ”

Cck · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 18, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Whilst on Seroquel XR my habits escape mechanisms related to BPD were improved these related to gambling and alcoholism and reckless behaviour. The side effects in my case were severe and included increased appetite, weight gain, tachycardia, and feeling like a zombie. I found myself questioning why I needed this drug?”

Whatever May 15, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “I started taking this when I was 12 years old and the entire time I was on it, I gained probably like 40-60 pounds. But I was some what over weight at the time so probably thought not much about it. I would miss school because my mom had a death wish if she woke me up. It made me tired and foggy for days. Last October my mom woke me up just a few hours after taking it. And I couldn't even comprehend what she was saying. So along with the schizophrenia I also have sleep apnea I stop breathing in my sleep, thank god I can figure it out pretty fast and wake up. On seroquel it's impossible and also makes it worse. Even after more then ten years I really hate this medication. I haven't taken it for a for maybe a year or more. But they still prescribe it. They started me on Abilify which. I recommend for anyone with schizophrenia or B.L.P. or B.P. because Abilify does work, and it works fast and also it doesn't cause any sleeping problems or drowsiness. And even comes in a once a month dose.”

Mimzy March 26, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have Bipolar. Been on 175 mg Quetiapine for many years. Tried other antipsychotics they didn't work at all. Was sectioned 2016, was changed to 700 mg Quetiapine XR. Yes a very high dosage. My weight was 49 kg gained weight very fast to 67 kg, not happy at all, I have put myself on a diet (carbs are the problem with this medication) I have all the side effects that are on the leaflet that you get with the medication. I guess many of you know the side effects. Shortness of breath, Fatigue, Memory loss, Dizziness, Lightheaded, Vertigo, Tinnitus, Agitation, Itchy skin, Weak muscles, Aches & pains, Blurred vision, poor Judgement, Awful constipation, Restlessness, Hand & leg tremors, Evil Weight gain... On the plus side I am stable. Along with the Quetiapine XR, I am on a cocktail of medication. Lamotrigine, Promethazine, Valium, Procyclidine, Cyclizine. I have many side effects & other health issues. ”

BeforeMidnite February 7, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've taken this med in the past. I required a higher dosage because I was feeling paranoid. A few months ago, I weaned myself off of it, but I took other meds. I started to lose weight, and I was feeling healthy physically, but mentally my mind was active. I don't feel paranoia like I did in the past, but lately I'm taking a low dose of 150mg compared to 600mg several months ago. If I take it too soon before bedtime, I tend to feel groggy in the morning, and it takes me 9 hours of sleep. It can cause weight gain, and diabetes. Make sure you have your blood sugar monitored every 3 months. Eat small snacks, less carbs and exercise. Healthy sleep make you happy.”

Timtam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This stuff ruined my life. This is poison. Worst thing that ever happened to me and I've been through some pretty awful abuse.”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2018

For Depression: “I got prescribed Seroquel XR for my sleep and it is supposed to help me with my sleeping and it does. I don’t follow a specific roster of when I’m meant to take it so I’m on and off every week and I only just started noticing that when I start taking it after a while of not taking it my depression gets worse. I’m not really sure of what’s going on.”

Mil · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2018

“I'm taking Seroquel XR 100mg daily, in the evening, before sleeping, and Flunisann(Fluoxetine hydrochloride) 10mg (antidepressant) in the morning. I'm 30 years old, and have serious anxiety problems over 15 years, with few psychotic breaks, caused by stress and anxiety. I tried a lot of different types of medications over the years, and I always felt miserable and weak while taking medications plus I had some side effects, like weight gain, and I was more or less vegetable. Now, I'm taking Seroquel over 4 months, and I feel like old me again, my work is in creative fields, in which I achieve great results right now. If you watched movie "Limitless", that is my situation right now. Of course I have my low periods at times now too, but I have will and techniques to overcome it quickly. If you are in similar situation, I recommend you to try this therapy. I wish you well, cheers!”

Chica · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I take 400mg Seroquel XR once at night and 100mg of Lamictal 2x a day and Ativan 1mg 2x PRN. I have found that Seroquel XR has been a life saver. The immediate release made me sleep walk and sleep eat and would wear off halfway through the night. The XR stays in my system longer and helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. Only downfall is if I don't set an alarm on the weekends I could easily sleep 12+ hours.”

mik · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2018

For Depression: “After being hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation, my psychiatrist decided to put me on Effexor and 150mg of seroquel. I was in the hospital while I started the medication, but at the beginning all I could do was sleep for a few days or so. I wasn’t affected by that too much because I was inpatient, but I read some others mentioning this and I can imagine it would definitely get in the way of trying to go about your everyday. Also my mouth was so dry and I lost my appetite (among other symptoms that I don’t really remember). Those symptoms, while very debilitating, subsided within a few weeks though and now I’m much better and I honestly rarely if ever feel depressed any more! I was very reluctant to go on medication but it’s kept me alive so I guess I can’t really hate it that much. This drug, while causing a lot of problems in the beginning, turned out to be a life saver (literally).”

KTS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “Within 2 months, at a dose of 300mg, it completely changed my life. I have been on many meds and combinations for 20 years, but this (along with much soul- searching, personal responsibility and facing truth, therapy, and DBT skills) has stabilized my Bipolar I and almost cured by borderline personality disorder. I had resigned myself to a difficult and tragic life before this happened. I was inspired to move to a single med, because I was a long time user of Lithium, SSRI, Lamictal combo and wanted to try for a baby. This ended up giving me new life- my own.”

Eli Johnson · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I am a male and I have been using seroquel for 17 years. I started with 25mg seroquel per day and then got up to seroquel xr 800mg per day. I have gained 10lbs or less in 17 years. I have experienced side effects and developed true gynecomastia that can only be removed through surgery that isn't covered by insurance. My prescribing doctor says I am too skinny and need to gain weight. My other doctor says I have gynecomastia that is noticeable when I take off my shirt. My doctor recommended that I get tested for male breast cancer and insurance covered the ultrasound and mammogram but because the gynecomastia isn't cancerous it's not covered by insurance. I don't recommend because I developed breast growth and breast pain while on it. I can't wear t shirts because people noticed my breast growth and feel the need to mention it in front of me”

TJGR · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Unfortunately I have no idea what is wrong with me, but what I know is that Seroquel works great for me. I suffer from severe mood swings, mild psychosis, Generalised Anxiety, and have experienced mild religious auditory hallucinations. I switch dosages pretty often due to my mood swings because if I am manic I need more, and if I am depressed I need less because Seroquel works as a major sedative to kick mania and when I am depressed sedation is a con because it makes me more depressed. In general it does work but I am really sad that I have to take prescription medication in order to be normal.”

SymbaSymba · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have been taking 200mg Seroquel XR for about two years. It does very well at neutralizing the intense, unpredictable, negative emotions that come with my depression and anxiety. And it does help me sleep a reliable 7 to 9 hours a night. HOWEVER: I've noticed it's not picky; it seems to neutralize positive emotions somewhat, too. Also, I'm very groggy in the mornings for 4 to 6 hours after waking up. And, worst of all, one time I forgot a dose and woke up in the middle of the night in a panic, super itchy, very hot, and drenched in sweat. So it seems I will have to take this med forever, or suffer some pretty severe consequences. Overall, a mixed bag, but the positives outweigh the negatives.”

Mikey111 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2018

For Depression: “It is ok for me, I can't say it helps that I can notice, I actually do not notice but my doctor says I have improved a lot. I don't get any side effects anymore on 200mg per night, it was ok for staying asleep too as I suffer massively broken sleep, it was no good for getting me to fall asleep. I rate it 5 since I personally see no improvement, but my doctor does.”

Felix99 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “Tried Seraquel ten years ago. Ended up driving when my body when into SEVERE convulsions. Was barely able to turn around and drive back home. Then, recently, ten years later I was prescribed SEROQUEL XR. Again. I didn’t make the connection to the first time. Took the 100mg dosage two nights ago. Uncontrollable convulsions and seizures. I have restless leg syndrome and my legs were flying all around. No way to lie down and sleep, so I walked around the house for four hours, occasionally I sitting at my desk for a bit. No sleep. Then, the next day I suffered the entire day suffering from cognitive dissonance. I kept going in and out of “the moment.” And I would spend about thirty seconds in this state, then return for a minute or two. This cycle went on all day long. Third day now and back to “normal.” Not taking anything now.”