User Reviews for Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Bipolar Disorder

Schizoaffective Disorder
5.4

Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 6.5 152 reviews

Reviews for Seroquel XR

For Bipolar Disorder "I was taking 300 mg of Seroquel XR for 6 months. The best part was being able to get a good night’s sleep. I had only been getting 2-3 hrs rest each night. My mind would race and it was a struggle to stay in bed. I would get up and start cleaning. Additionally, I would spend hours creating plans to organize my life. I had not actually followed any of those plans and I was depressed. I took Latuda for a short period but it made my inability to sleep worse. That’s when I was switched to Seroquel. I loved the way it helped me feel normal. The bad - I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. I asked to be taken off and started taking Geodon. Once again I cannot sleep. I am going to ask to go back to Seroquel XR and focus on following a healthy diet."

Longhorn Grad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on this for 4-5 years and it is my rock. It literally helps me so much, I couldn't have made it through high school without it. Honestly it's what helped me through my suicidal phases. I still get them but it's not as intense and I don't try and act on it anymore."

Alexis.M November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I had the worst side-effect from this medication. I was originally prescribed it about a year ago for insomnia related to my Bipolar 2. It worked to get me to sleep, but eventually I started to have enormous amounts to rectal pain, so I went off of it when I stopped cycling. I was put on it again this year when my cycling started again, and I again had the same pain. It was absolutely awful. So I am off of it now and never want to be put on it again."

cute nut (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been taking Seroquel XR 800mg for almost 11 years. Before this I was taking low dose regular Seroquel for many years. It really helps me manage my schizoaffective disorder. I am also taking a doctors prescribed antihistamine hydroxyzine 50mg because I get hives while on seroquel XR. I have noticed male breast growth and hard glandular breast tissue build up under my breast during this year. I am also experincing breast pain. I am on a calorie restricted diet and have been exercising and lifting weights regularly for the past 10 years and have gained 5lbs to 10lbs in weight. I have low body fat and can do 70 push ups in a row easily so its not body fat."

Johnson Zen August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Recently able to get the XR in generic form. This has been a complete life changing medication for me. It has improved all areas of my condition to a point I am fully capable to manage life without any other assistance."

mgoldapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Only take when needed. Mainly for it's sedative effects, though that doesn't always seem to work. Especially if I've been taking them for a few days in a row."

Darkness^6 June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "My family member has been on the brand name Seroquel XR since 2009. When Accord Healthcare came out with their generic version in Nov 2016, she had to get the generic in Jan. 2017 until she could get approved for the AZ & Me PAP. I can tell you that the generic does not have the same efficacy as the brand name as she started experiencing symptoms on Accord's generic. Now we find out that Astra Zeneca will no longer have the PAP after Dec. 2017. They did a good job of marketing their product and it has helped many patients manage their symptoms. However, if the generic versions don't have the same efficacy, thousands of patients risk decompensation and symptoms. Accord even has the nerve to charge over 1300 per month for their med."

mhadvocate June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on immediate release version of Seroquel 200mg and the side effects were horrible! Everlasting hungover and craving for foods like if it's a drug or I would be going withdraw aka blood sugar crashes. So my Dr switched to seroquel 200mg extended release and it was a GODSEND form of drug! Barely any of sedating effects and even lack of any hungover.... And the best part was that I forgot to eat breakfast by accident several times in a week.... If for immediate release I would be going crazy for missing breakfast. Imagine that!"

Bipolarity Guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is a wonder drug. After 15 years of brutal bipolar symptoms (undiagnosed/ untreated) which destroyed my whole life, I now take 300mg at night and now I can have a normal life free of anxiety, mood swings, bipolar symptoms etc, I hold down a responsible full-time job, healthy relationships and friendships, I have hobbies. I never had any of that before; my bipolar destroyed my whole life. Seroquel gave it back. I hear of people wanting to go off Seroquel.. I'm the opposite. I would go to any lengths to make sure I never have to go off it. I'll gladly spend the rest of my life on it, because it gives me a normal life, and I won't risk that for anything. I've been on it 3 years, no side effects."

Beltane (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was on this medication for around 3 years at different doses, anywhere from 50 mgs to 600 mgs. It was a very good medicine and helped a lot with my anxiety and depression and really calmed me down and was very helpful, but the weight gain was a killer. I would try to go off over and over and would have to keep going back to it because I would be in such bad shape without it. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I became pre-diabetic while on it. I finally was able to go off and stay off at one point. It's a great drug, but the side effects are horrible as far as weight gain."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have depression with anxious disitress.My extremely racing thoughts would typically whip me up into a panicky state, sometimes with outbursts of irrational anger. Seroquel XR works fantastically to ease that racing mind, to a more 'normal'and useful pace. Side effects are virtually absent: the XR doesn't floor me like immediate release Seroquel did. I can function and think well. Seroquel XR is a good medicine. It also helps with my depression."

Global Man January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "been great for me except for the weight gain , I just want to eat all the time"

Shazza Hall October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Hi I'm taking seroquel XR 400mg.it all started last winter with my psychosis episode. I went a bit manic,anexity,depression.wont get into details. I went in mental hospital for 2 months,there is where i started taking seroquel. to be honest 1st 2 weeks i have been vomiting every single night,had dizzines so hard that I had to hold walls while walking down the hallway.Its fine because at that point I didn't know if its just a bad dream or reality.after period of let's say 2 months I got much better.still i was feeling like my emotions, vocabularity, thought's was really in bad condition. as time passes I got used to it (im using it for 10months now.) DONT DO COLD TURKEY!!!"

sin47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016