User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Seroquel XR Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recently able to get the XR in generic form. This has been a complete life changing medication for me. It has improved all areas of my condition to a point I am fully capable to manage life without any other assistance."

mgoldapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only take when needed. Mainly for it's sedative effects, though that doesn't always seem to work. Especially if I've been taking them for a few days in a row."

Darkness^6 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on immediate release version of Seroquel 200mg and the side effects were horrible! Everlasting hungover and craving for foods like if it's a drug or I would be going withdraw aka blood sugar crashes. So my Dr switched to seroquel 200mg extended release and it was a GODSEND form of drug! Barely any of sedating effects and even lack of any hungover.... And the best part was that I forgot to eat breakfast by accident several times in a week.... If for immediate release I would be going crazy for missing breakfast. Imagine that!"

Bipolarity Guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is a wonder drug. After 15 years of brutal bipolar symptoms (undiagnosed/ untreated) which destroyed my whole life, I now take 300mg at night and now I can have a normal life free of anxiety, mood swings, bipolar symptoms etc, I hold down a responsible full-time job, healthy relationships and friendships, I have hobbies. I never had any of that before; my bipolar destroyed my whole life. Seroquel gave it back. I hear of people wanting to go off Seroquel.. I'm the opposite. I would go to any lengths to make sure I never have to go off it. I'll gladly spend the rest of my life on it, because it gives me a normal life, and I won't risk that for anything. I've been on it 3 years, no side effects."

Beltane (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on Seroquel XR 25mg (once before bed) for about 6 months now and my life has completely changed for the better. Yeah, the weight gain is a pain but its a small price to pay for normality. Social anxiety / severe insomnia has not been an issue for months!! Am finally myself again. Have tried other antipsychotics but nothing works as well as this one. Only downside is an insatiable appetite - but you can minimize weight gain by substituting with fruits etc, which is what Im currently doing."

vanillacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med is pretty wonderful for my bipolar mania and my bipolar depression. Only set back is the sedation, but at the same time I've always struggled with anciety, so this side effect is okay with me as it helps the anxiety. Really saved my life."

AngelBunny0316 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First of all, let me start by saying that I hear that this is an expensive drug because of how new it is. Luckily for me (perhaps, lol), my insurance considera me catastrophic due to my checkered past, and pays the entire price because they want me to take this medication and stfu lol. Since taking Seroquel XR, my life has improved so much, and I really have never felt more stable in my life. I've tried anticonvulsants and other antipsychotics and they have not worked for me. This medication really does, to my surprise! The only downfall is that I've gained 10 pounds taking it, but any antipsychotic will do that. Strongly recommend Seroquel XR!"

JoeyBBY92 July 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I really noticed a negative difference when comparing the XR version to the regular Seroquel. It took longer to kick in and made me so drowsy at work that I felt like I was drunk. I think I was taking 100-200 mg. When I went back to regular Seroquel, 100-200 mg put me to sleep fast and made a difference in stabilizing my mood without me feeling too drowsy to function the next day."

Anonymous June 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed seroquel xr for Bipolar depression My dr started me on 50mg and I am gradually increasing the dosage its been about 4 weeks and I am currently taking 200 mg I will agree that it has helped the hopelesness feelings and suicidal thoughts Which is a plus but the zombie like feeling and dry mouth are tough I have a job that requires constant activity its hard to keep up have to definitely slow down My Dr advised me that these side affects are all normal and eventually I will get used to it can't wait for this to happen"

shortie62 April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Quetiapine MR for around 9 months. 300mg at night. Found it far less sedating than Olanzapine. Its been a miracle for my Bipolar, absolutely no depression and no manic episodes. Yeah I put on weight but the effects on my mood and mental health have been incredible."

p-mo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"OK, it's only early days, day 4 to be exact on 50mg morning and night. It's amazing! After reading all the horror stories of the tranquilliser effects, zombie like states+cravings. Its an understatement when I said I was petrified what effect this would have on me. First day within an hour of taking it, I slept for six hours woke up feeling fine, refreshed even. Then dosed up in the evening at 9, again, asleep by 11, slept like a baby. 7am Woke feeling energised, lighter, happier. No drowsiness or brain fuzz! I feel so much more positive about life in general. I feel so blissfully normal! Day 4 still napping within 4 hrs of dose for 2 hrs max but I could push through it. And still sleeping all night!"

Jenneh-mu (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on citolopram (celexa), lithium 1250 mg daily and olanzapine 20 mg and a lot of benzos. A state run mental health clinic opened in a local town so I stopped seeing the private psychiatrist and started to attend the public clinic. The psychiatrist was revolutionary. She immediately stopped the anti-depressant because it was elevating mood into mania. She dropped lithium to one dose at night to aid kidney wear and tear. She stopped olanzapine because I was still having mild persistent psychosis and put me on 800mg of quetiapine (seroquel). The first week was tough I was very nauseous and sleepy but once my body adjusted it was much better. The mix of quetiapine and lithium is really working for me."

mrsnowe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016