User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Seroquel XR Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Depression

"I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect."

garybooberry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

"It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)"

muDraconis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

"I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life."

robbieMac (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2015

"My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit."

Arri (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope."

Issy96 November 10, 2015

"I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life."

Kmtdstr (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

"Hate this med. Constantly sick on it. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, passing out, severe dizziness and unable to wake up. Hungry for food all the time. Nasty taste in mouth. Thirsty all the time. Can't motivate myself to do anything. This was on the lowest dose available. Won't take it ever again don't care what my doctor says. No way."

sick constantly (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015

"In the beginning I was on 300 mg of seroquel (not extended release) for 3 years. Got pregnant they took me off. I moved provinces they ended up putting me back on a smaller dose 150mg sleeping wise I would go to sleep right away and stay asleep all night. For the past 2 months they decided to put me on 150mg seroquel xl now it takes me hours to fall asleep and I wake up constantly throughout the night and have a hard time falling back asleep! I feel like xl does not work near as good depression wise and sleeping wise."

Amanda7106 July 23, 2015

"Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy."

cdfig83 February 20, 2015

"I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this."

Mikfr November 28, 2014

"I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable."

sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal."

WannaBeBetterForever February 7, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work."

Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2013

"I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine. "

shellwoo November 14, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine."

Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2013

"I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not."

TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med"

Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2013

"I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants."

Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2013

"Quetiapine 25mg used to get over Post traumatic stress disorder post Mental Health problems caused by an allergy to Valium. Presently taking 50% of a tablet at night."

angela offer December 16, 2012

"I had HORRIBLE hot flashes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2012

"Was taken off Geodon because of night-time anxiety and put on Seroquel XR. I feel so unmotivated. Sedated. I no more feel better by afternoon when it's time to take it again. I dread the next dose. Haven't felt this depressed in a while."

Angrybird April 11, 2012

"I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had depression for 12 years, and have been on Paxil about 10. The Paxil worked for a few years, but the anxiety and depression slowly worked its way back into my life. So along with the Paxil they added other drugs (Effexor, Wellbutrin) but they made me even more anxious. I was finally put on regular Seroquel and found it worked for a little while, but I was so tired all the time I couldn't function the next day. I was literally fired from 3 jobs from being stuck in bed and refusing to get up. I was switched to Seroquel XR 100mg last year combined with the 90mgs of Paxil I'm still on, and I've found a drastic improvement in my mood, anger and anxiety. My only complaint would be how sleepy it makes me in the mornings. A large coffee or a caffeinated beverage does the trick though and its worth the sleepiness to have some peace of mind."

Nix2012 January 18, 2012