User Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Depression

Seroquel XR has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 47 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 60% of those users who reviewed Seroquel XR reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Seroquel XR Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

32% 15
0% 0
13% 6

Reviews for Seroquel XR

James mic January 16, 2021

“This medication Seroquel xr caused me to have body chills, and a hung over fatigue. I couldn't do anything after taking 3 pills it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was totally hung over for 2 day bad headaches and I was shaking non stop. I've stopped this medication can't do it again”

Nissan 261 · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

“All is does for me is help me sleep. I'm addicted to it now..!! Can't sleep without it.. And it cost $100.00 a month!!! I wouldn't recommend me to anyone...!!!”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2018

“I got prescribed Seroquel XR for my sleep and it is supposed to help me with my sleeping and it does. I don’t follow a specific roster of when I’m meant to take it so I’m on and off every week and I only just started noticing that when I start taking it after a while of not taking it my depression gets worse. I’m not really sure of what’s going on.”

mik · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2018

“After being hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation, my psychiatrist decided to put me on Effexor and 150mg of seroquel. I was in the hospital while I started the medication, but at the beginning all I could do was sleep for a few days or so. I wasn’t affected by that too much because I was inpatient, but I read some others mentioning this and I can imagine it would definitely get in the way of trying to go about your everyday. Also my mouth was so dry and I lost my appetite (among other symptoms that I don’t really remember). Those symptoms, while very debilitating, subsided within a few weeks though and now I’m much better and I honestly rarely if ever feel depressed any more! I was very reluctant to go on medication but it’s kept me alive so I guess I can’t really hate it that much. This drug, while causing a lot of problems in the beginning, turned out to be a life saver (literally).”

Mikey111 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2018

“It is ok for me, I can't say it helps that I can notice, I actually do not notice but my doctor says I have improved a lot. I don't get any side effects anymore on 200mg per night, it was ok for staying asleep too as I suffer massively broken sleep, it was no good for getting me to fall asleep. I rate it 5 since I personally see no improvement, but my doctor does.”

Tom Granthauser · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2018

“First, I'm not schizophrenic, nor have I been diagnosed as bipolar.. I take this for drug induced anxiety I was initially given Seroquel XR because I exhibited rapid speech & a disorganized thought pattern during my (continual) intoxication by kratom. Kratom is a 'natural', legal substance with opioid and stimulant qualities. Well, I noticed right off that Seroquel XR calmed my racing thoughts. I saw this as a benefit -- but the next move was for me to quit using kratom. I got help for that via SUBOXONE, which I'm still on. My whole life & way of thinking took a sharp turn for the better. I remain on the Seroquel XR, along with the SUBOXONE. When I questioned the continued need for Seroquel XR, my Dr. simply said, "Look, you're doing great. Why change a thing?" And he's right. So Seroquel XR remains a part of my daily recipe for success.”

Alexis.M November 6, 2017

“I've been on this for 4-5 years and it is my rock. It literally helps me so much, I couldn't have made it through high school without it. Honestly it's what helped me through my suicidal phases. I still get them but it's not as intense and I don't try and act on it anymore.”

Gastroparesis Girl · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 20, 2017

“I was on this medication for around 3 years at different doses, anywhere from 50 mgs to 600 mgs. It was a very good medicine and helped a lot with my anxiety and depression and really calmed me down and was very helpful, but the weight gain was a killer. I would try to go off over and over and would have to keep going back to it because I would be in such bad shape without it. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I became pre-diabetic while on it. I finally was able to go off and stay off at one point. It's a great drug, but the side effects are horrible as far as weight gain.”

Global Man January 25, 2017

“I have depression with anxious disitress.My extremely racing thoughts would typically whip me up into a panicky state, sometimes with outbursts of irrational anger. Seroquel XR works fantastically to ease that racing mind, to a more 'normal'and useful pace. Side effects are virtually absent: the XR doesn't floor me like immediate release Seroquel did. I can function and think well. Seroquel XR is a good medicine. It also helps with my depression.”

This is Kris · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2016

“I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again.”

garybooberry · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2016

“I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2016

“It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)”

robbieMac · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2015

“I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life.”

Arri · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2015

“My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit.”

Issy96 November 10, 2015

“I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope.”

Kmtdstr · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2015

“I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life.”

sick constantly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2015

“Hate this med. Constantly sick on it. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, passing out, severe dizziness and unable to wake up. Hungry for food all the time. Nasty taste in mouth. Thirsty all the time. Can't motivate myself to do anything. This was on the lowest dose available. Won't take it ever again don't care what my doctor says. No way.”

Amanda7106 July 23, 2015

“In the beginning I was on 300 mg of seroquel (not extended release) for 3 years. Got pregnant they took me off. I moved provinces they ended up putting me back on a smaller dose 150mg sleeping wise I would go to sleep right away and stay asleep all night. For the past 2 months they decided to put me on 150mg seroquel xl now it takes me hours to fall asleep and I wake up constantly throughout the night and have a hard time falling back asleep! I feel like xl does not work near as good depression wise and sleeping wise.”

cdfig83 February 20, 2015

“Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy.”

Mikfr November 28, 2014

“I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.”

sarrakii · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2014

“I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.”

WannaBeBetterForever February 7, 2014

“I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2014

“Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.”

Koosh's Mom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2013

“I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.”

shellwoo November 14, 2013

“I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine. ”