User Reviews for Xtampza ER

3.8

Summary of Xtampza ER reviews 4.7 65 reviews

Reviews for Xtampza ER

Teesers · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I started taking this about two weeks ago, and I’m very happy. It doesn’t completely eliminate all pain, but nothing will. I can walk most of the day with limited amounts of pain. For me the morning is the roughest, cause it takes about 4 hours to peak for me, that’s with a handful of almonds with each dose of twice daily, 13.5 mg. I’m glad my doctor made this switch."

Nytowl223 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

For Chronic Pain "This drug made my nightmare even worse. In the 5 months I was on it, it caused me to gain nearly 60 pounds! Over 10 pounds a month! I had to literally buy bigger clothes every 2 weeks. Thank goodness for thrift stores! As for the pain relief, it didn't do as well as the Opana that I was on prior to the Xtamza. Then Opana was pulled from the market suddenly, though, supposedly in the reaction to the "opioid crisis," so I needed something to replace it, and the doctors gave me Xtamza that fall. I suffered with worse pain relief and rapid weight gain for 5 months, until they finally switched me to something else! I would not suggest this medicine to my worse enemy! You may not suffer from the extreme weight gain like I did. You may get better pain relief than I did. But beware, because some of us have *awful* side effects from this stuff!"

pt714 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Did not do a thing. SUCKS"

Jacksprat · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Have severe shoulder pain along with other bone problems and was taking Oxycontin 20mg twice a day and seemed to get a lot of relief and able to sleep at night and get through most days w/o too much suffering. Living in Ohio has forced my Dr. to take me off the Oxycontin and prescribe the Xtampza 18mg twice daily. What a terrible medicine this turned out to be, constant diarrhea w/ nausea and almost zero pain relief! I had taken the Oxycontin for 19 yrs. and it worked great for my chronic pain. Ohio should be ashamed for this action, some of us take our meds as prescribed and are responsible law abiding citizens!"

Mrs. W · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I changed pain docs & he immediately changed me from 15mg MS ER to Xtampza 27mg every 12 hours. I also take Percocet 10/325 tid. The MS wasn't working and neither is the Xtampza. I have severe chronic pain due to a near fatal wreck 3.5 years ago; degloving of my leg, had to have arterial/muscle/skin transplants, back broken at 5 levels, all told I had 35 broken bone and internal injuries, I hurt....bad. IF the Xtampza works at all, it takes 3-4 hours to kick in & only lasts about 2-3 hours if that. I've also gained weight, have mood swings which I've never had before & horrific vivid dreams. Not impressed at all!"

Kingbuba June 8, 2019

For Chronic Pain "There is a really good document all about Xtampza and how it works etc. and it is well worth the read. If you google "FDA ADVISORY COMMITTEE BRIEFING DOCUMENT Xtampza™ ER (EXTENDED-RELEASE OXYCODONE)" and you should find it I read ALL of the reviews and this relates to many. This does have a different bioavailability that Oxycontin and it is important to have a high fat high calorie HFHC diet to get the best result, not just food when taking. There is a lot of information but if you did not like the med it would possibly allow you to show your doctor why I am just on my first day and had strange dreams and a lot of restlessness Still it takes 2-3 days to reach steady state so I am not giving up. My last med, levorphanol pushed me into serotonin syndrome and I NEED something to work. Quitting it cold turkey was very unpleasant I am printing the whole document to read and take notes on. I hope it works and if you try it I hope it works for you. My pain got so bad at the doctor yesterday my BP shot up to 196/136 with a pulse of 131."

Jilly June 2, 2019

For Pain "I trialed Xtampza ER for 5 days due to a forced step therapy trial. I went into the trial with a positive attitude because I wanted it to work and I can tolerate Oxycodone. (If it worked, my insurance company would stop hassling me because this med is cheaper than my current med.) However, by day two I could not walk or move because I experienced a rare side effect which I think was due to a filler. My muscle groups locked up consecutively one by one starting w/my lower back and spreading across my body. My pain was also completely uncontrolled, so the dosage was not comparable to my previous morphine milligram equivalency. (My trusted pharmacist researched Xtampza and thought it would be equivalent, so I share this as a possible criticism of the drug itself and not a commentary on my tolerance.) I have complex regional pain syndrome, meaning I am an intractable pain patient, and have been prescribed pain medication for about eight years to manage my pain."

Sparky May 8, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Until last weekend I had three nights of good sleep. It takes 4 hours (zombie time) to come on. It then helps with pain for 5.5 hours. It is formulated using fatty acids from wax. It does not mix with water, you must eat some fat for it to work, which sucks at bedtime. If I take it just before falling asleep I wake up to pee and then I lay awake for 3-4 hours. If I take it 4 hours before bedtime then I 4 hours to go to sleep. I have found a way to take it and get a good nights sleep! I get up at 5:00 AM, eat a Siggi’s Triple Cream yogurt and a few tablespoons of heavy cream in a glass, take the dose then back to sleep. I wake up at 8:30-9:00 and it’s working. Second dose between 2:00-3:00PM. FWIW (for what it's worth), coconut oil has 14gm of fat per tablespoon. I talked to my Pharmacist and they take the coupon for generic OxyContin and 60 will cost me about $110 a month."

Feel lied to April 25, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Since I was just switched to Xtampza ER on 4-19-19 and have been taking 9mg twice daily for a week. So I really can't say too much other than I have had a headaches daily starting one day after starting the medication & has not let up yet. I was told that this drug would last longer than my current medication which was OxyContin 10 mg twice daily. So far neither have lasted the 12 hours as it claims. I am lucky to get 5 to 6 hours of relief per dose. Neither gave me complete pain relief but some was better than none. My pharmacy said they have never had anyone prescribed this medication before me. I was lucky enough to get my script at my monthly doctor visit. Pharmacy had to special order medication but could not order it until they got a prior authorization from the doctor or my insurance would not process. At this point I do not feel that I am getting the relief I was getting previously as far as the length of time. I was down for 2 days with a bad headache out of the 7 days on this medication."

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Been only taking Xtampza ER for less then a week and am happy so far. 2X 18.5mg a day. Little itching which is slowly stopping. Works well and has taken the down deep pain so I now have my life back . Been in pain for twenty years been there and done that and can say this medication WORKS."

TK · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2019

For Pain "After nearly a year of using 18mg Xtempza (started at 9mg and worked up to 18mg) I’ve found waking an hour early and taking it with high fat yogurt and sleeping another hour leaves me feeling refreshed and on my way. It only seems to work for 6-8 hours so I use 20 mg baclofen and 10 mg oxy for breakthrough between doses. It also helps to use Tylenol in addition as it synergizes both forms. Also, if you can get your BP up for at least 20 minutes by taking a fast paced walk it also helps get the meds into your system much quicker. It’s not always easy but exercise helps in every way if you’re able. It’s not the perfect medicine but without it I would be miserable and likely unable to work and tolerate the cancers and radiation proctitis nearly as well as I am."

Painmanagement · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I have 4 herniated disc in my neck, two failed right shoulder rotator cuff surgeries, back surgery on L5 and esophageal cancer that has not spread (thank God). I'm starting on Xtampza ER in a few days for this chronic pain and was very nervous however, it's time. I was taking four 15mg oxy IR. Down to four 10/325 Percocet and will now be trying two x 18 Xtampza plus one break through. After reading some of the real comments from people switching to Xtampza, that the drug actually works I feel more confident. I will report back once I'm taking to give full and honest report. I will give honest report back as I'm not looking to get high - I just want to manage the pain so I can live a sub par but somewhat normal life, what I have left. Good luck to all of you with your pain management issues"

Tnthomas · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2019

For Chronic Pain "After years of trial and failure to control the chronic pain this med has done what none other has. I been on 150mg lyrica 3/day, Morphine ER, fentanyl patch, and many other meds for over 15 years. All those other meds became ineffective and offered little relief. Now, 2 months into twice daily use of xtampza I finally have a new baseline. Though I still take other meds and a breakthrough pain killer occasionally I don’t feel as though there’s no help. It’s not cheap, and my various prescription coverage still didn’t cover all the costs. I still firmly believe I’m better off with this medication and if offered to others it may be what you’ve needed for a long time."

Sparky · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I was just switched to Xtampza ER, took my first dose this morning. My doctor did not mention food at all but I always read about the meds I take. In BOLD they say to take this Med with food. If you take it in the morning before eating you will get maybe half the dose. The oral bioavailability goes up by as much as 150% with a high fat/high calorie meal. I called the manufacturer but they were unable to tell me exactly what is a “high fat/high calorie meal”. I ate some walnuts, two slices of Ezekiel bread toasted with butter and about a cup of Promised Land chocolate milk. They also say that you should eat the same amount of food with each dose to maintain even blood serum levels. My guess is it is this lack of knowledge that is causing some patients to find this drug ineffective of erratic. I’ll probably settle on 1/4 cup walnuts, couple of eggs (boiled) and maybe a Boost Plus (or chocolate milk). In any case it seems to be working."

Sleepless in SF · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2019

For Chronic Pain "In a word...awful. I've been on 2x18mg Xtampza ER for over a month now, after my sadistic insurance co refused to cover Oxycontin, which I've been taking 2x20mg since 07 for severe pelvic floor pain. While Xtampza designed to avert abuse, it most definitely IS NOT designed for any credible chronic pain relief. First and foremost, it's doing very little for my pain. It takes FOREVER, like 2+ hours(!) to work, and lasts 3-4 hours, at best. I'm being generous saying it "works", since it barely takes the edge off my pain. I still have to take breakthrough meds, even while this junk is supposed to be in full effect. I regularly experience strong side effects described by other reviews, including headaches, nausea, sleeplessness and high anxiety. It's amusing to hear the claims of this med being "exactly the same" as Oxycontin - the one thing that actually worked."

Eliza · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2019

For Chronic Pain "More effective than any medicine for pain I have been prescribed in the past. Finally some relief"

Zykull · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I have been on Xtampza ER 18mg 2x a day, also on oxycodone 10/325 3x daily. This morning I thought I would try something different. Acetaminophen boosts oxycodone, so I said to myself that tylenol probably would boost an extended release for of oxycodone and guess what, 0% Pain. I take 1.5 oxycodone and 1 xtampaza ER and another tylenol capsule, extremely loopy but wow does it help. I take for Broken disc, herniated disc, torn ACL, torn Rotator Cuff and Vascular problems as well. Just take 1 or 1.5 Oxycodone and one 500mg tylenol with the xtampza."

Anonymous January 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Very disappointed. Was on morphine sulfate 100mg. My doctor wanted me to try Xtampa. Not impressed. They just gave me headaches and stomach pain with no relief from my chronic pain, plus with insurance it cost me $273.00 will not use this again."

Marco · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Moved and had to change Doctor Was given Xampza twice daily I have found this medication horrible. It does not work on a consistent level, any relief that it gives it quickly fades. 12 hour relief is a joke, maybe 6-7 hours. B/P has gone up, needed to increase my Atenolol 25mg. Nausea soon becomes a constant companion with headaches to add to original chronic pain. This has been my experience, I also see many others have issues with this medication."

Bird · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. It spread to my bones and lungs. I started with morphine and it just didn't hold the pain. My doctor then changed my prescription to Xtampza ER 13.5. That didn't hold for 12 hours. Went to 27 ER. It held for about 6-7 hours. If anyone has stage 4 breast cancer and are comfortable please let me know."

Pearljam · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Works great but causing severe sore throat. Taken steroids and antibiotics with no relief. Everyone including pharmacist says it would not cause sore throat but ever since I started these have had a severe chronic sore throat. If it wasn't for sore throat would love it it. It helps with back pain much more than MS-contin. "

Miami · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was put on this medication for chronic back pain and primary progressive MS. I had been on OxyContin and oxycodone. The medication simply doesn’t work for me. My insurance company finally approved my old medications for me. I understand the abuse that goes along with the opiate medications. However I don’t abuse it. I never will either. I hate taking pain medications but I have no choice. Good luck with the pain for all of you."

peppergurl33 · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I just started this after my PM doc said that OxyContin was being targeted by most states. Was on Oxycontin 20 mg for several years..then was put on MS Contin 30 mg for a month which didn't help with pain..but did help me sleep. Now on Xtampza ER 18 mg and it seems to work ok...seems inconsistent though. Some days it works great and other days not so much...almost as if they put placebo pills in with the Xtampa. Going to continue giving this a chance since my insurance seems to approve of it after a doctors exception request. Hopefully it will get better..haven't tried the sprinkling on food yet..but I will try that tonight."

cam60 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have been in chronic pain for 22 years. I was forced to switch to this med two months ago. It does not relieve my pain, and I gained 20 lbs. in one month. It also gave me migraines. Will not take it again."

Jim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was taking 30 MG of oxycontin per day when Cigna suddenly stopped covering it. The Doctor switch me to Xtampza ER 13.5 MG twice a day and I was quite apprehensive after being on Oxycontin for the past few years for an in-operable chronic back condition. I have been very happy with the new medication. It works as well as what I had been taking and it seems to last longer. With Oxycontin I knew when the time was up with this medication I can go two to three hours over the time for the next dose and not have a problem. I also have the feeling that getting off this medication will be easier than getting off the Oxycontin. I know it's basically the same medication but it just seems to work differently."