User Reviews for Xtampza ER

Pain
4.7

Summary of Xtampza ER reviews 4.7 53 reviews

Reviews for Xtampza ER

For Chronic Pain "After years of trial and failure to control the chronic pain this med has done what none other has. I been on 150mg lyrica 3/day, Morphine ER, fentanyl patch, and many other meds for over 15 years. All those other meds became ineffective and offered little relief. Now, 2 months into twice daily use of xtampza I finally have a new baseline. Though I still take other meds and a breakthrough pain killer occasionally I don’t feel as though there’s no help. It’s not cheap, and my various prescription coverage still didn’t cover all the costs. I still firmly believe I’m better off with this medication and if offered to others it may be what you’ve needed for a long time."

Tnthomas (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I was just switched to Xtampza ER, took my first dose this morning. My doctor did not mention food at all but I always read about the meds I take. In BOLD they say to take this Med with food. If you take it in the morning before eating you will get maybe half the dose. The oral bioavailability goes up by as much as 150% with a high fat/high calorie meal. I called the manufacturer but they were unable to tell me exactly what is a “high fat/high calorie meal”. I ate some walnuts, two slices of Ezekiel bread toasted with butter and about a cup of Promised Land chocolate milk. They also say that you should eat the same amount of food with each dose to maintain even blood serum levels. My guess is it is this lack of knowledge that is causing some patients to find this drug ineffective of erratic. I’ll probably settle on 1/4 cup walnuts, couple of eggs (boiled) and maybe a Boost Plus (or chocolate milk). In any case it seems to be working."

Sparky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2019

For Chronic Pain "In a word...awful. I've been on 2x18mg Xtampza ER for over a month now, after my sadistic insurance co refused to cover Oxycontin, which I've been taking 2x20mg since 07 for severe pelvic floor pain. While Xtampza designed to avert abuse, it most definitely IS NOT designed for any credible chronic pain relief. First and foremost, it's doing very little for my pain. It takes FOREVER, like 2+ hours(!) to work, and lasts 3-4 hours, at best. I'm being generous saying it "works", since it barely takes the edge off my pain. I still have to take breakthrough meds, even while this junk is supposed to be in full effect. I regularly experience strong side effects described by other reviews, including headaches, nausea, sleeplessness and high anxiety. It's amusing to hear the claims of this med being "exactly the same" as Oxycontin - the one thing that actually worked."

Sleepless in SF (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2019

For Chronic Pain "More effective than any medicine for pain I have been prescribed in the past. Finally some relief"

Eliza (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

For Chronic Pain "I have been on Xtampza ER 18mg 2x a day, also on oxycodone 10/325 3x daily. This morning I thought I would try something different. Acetaminophen boosts oxycodone, so I said to myself that tylenol probably would boost an extended release for of oxycodone and guess what, 0% Pain. I take 1.5 oxycodone and 1 xtampaza ER and another tylenol capsule, extremely loopy but wow does it help. I take for Broken disc, herniated disc, torn ACL, torn Rotator Cuff and Vascular problems as well. Just take 1 or 1.5 Oxycodone and one 500mg tylenol with the xtampza."

Zykull (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Very disappointed. Was on morphine sulfate 100mg. My doctor wanted me to try Xtampa. Not impressed. They just gave me headaches and stomach pain with no relief from my chronic pain, plus with insurance it cost me $273.00 will not use this again."

Anonymous January 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain "Moved and had to change Doctor Was given Xampza twice daily I have found this medication horrible. It does not work on a consistent level, any relief that it gives it quickly fades. 12 hour relief is a joke, maybe 6-7 hours. B/P has gone up, needed to increase my Atenolol 25mg. Nausea soon becomes a constant companion with headaches to add to original chronic pain. This has been my experience, I also see many others have issues with this medication."

Marco (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. It spread to my bones and lungs. I started with morphine and it just didn't hold the pain. My doctor then changed my prescription to Xtampza ER 13.5. That didn't hold for 12 hours. Went to 27 ER. It held for about 6-7 hours. If anyone has stage 4 breast cancer and are comfortable please let me know."

Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Works great but causing severe sore throat. Taken steroids and antibiotics with no relief. Everyone including pharmacist says it would not cause sore throat but ever since I started these have had a severe chronic sore throat. If it wasn't for sore throat would love it it. It helps with back pain much more than MS-contin. "

Pearljam (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was put on this medication for chronic back pain and primary progressive MS. I had been on OxyContin and oxycodone. The medication simply doesn’t work for me. My insurance company finally approved my old medications for me. I understand the abuse that goes along with the opiate medications. However I don’t abuse it. I never will either. I hate taking pain medications but I have no choice. Good luck with the pain for all of you."

Miami (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I just started this after my PM doc said that OxyContin was being targeted by most states. Was on Oxycontin 20 mg for several years..then was put on MS Contin 30 mg for a month which didn't help with pain..but did help me sleep. Now on Xtampza ER 18 mg and it seems to work ok...seems inconsistent though. Some days it works great and other days not so much...almost as if they put placebo pills in with the Xtampa. Going to continue giving this a chance since my insurance seems to approve of it after a doctors exception request. Hopefully it will get better..haven't tried the sprinkling on food yet..but I will try that tonight."

peppergurl33 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have been in chronic pain for 22 years. I was forced to switch to this med two months ago. It does not relieve my pain, and I gained 20 lbs. in one month. It also gave me migraines. Will not take it again."

cam60 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was taking 30 MG of oxycontin per day when Cigna suddenly stopped covering it. The Doctor switch me to Xtampza ER 13.5 MG twice a day and I was quite apprehensive after being on Oxycontin for the past few years for an in-operable chronic back condition. I have been very happy with the new medication. It works as well as what I had been taking and it seems to last longer. With Oxycontin I knew when the time was up with this medication I can go two to three hours over the time for the next dose and not have a problem. I also have the feeling that getting off this medication will be easier than getting off the Oxycontin. I know it's basically the same medication but it just seems to work differently."

Jim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2018

For Pain "Xtampza gave me my dignity back. I was bedridden for over four years straight and after literally trying every pain medication in existence (including Fentanyl, spinal nerve stimulator, and pain pump,) I am now able to function at a much higher level. This medication is ideal for those who metabolize meds rapidly, which can be discovered by taking a P-450 blood test. Because of the abuse deterrent capsule, the beads of medication break down slowly. In my experience, this keeps side effects like nausea down. It lasts longer than any ER med I have tried and is more stable in its release. I am losing weight gained previously. The capsule can be sprinkled on apple sauce, but needs to have a fat source to break down properly. A cracker or cookie easily solves this, which is a good practice to have in place with any med to protect stomach lining. I am prescribed a breakthrough med besides Xtampza. I am thankful beyond words that this has worked for me."

Relentless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2018

For Pain "Hi I have 2 types of cancer, one that is stage 4. My doctor put me on these to try something new but when I take it I get severe pain in my kidneys, and my body aches where my lymph nodes are. I have also gotten shooting pains in my heart. Has anyone else had side effects like this? My doctor told me to keep taking them but I literally feel like they are killing my organs and me slowly."

Cancer fighter (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I'm not getting any relief from this medication. My Dr prescribed the 9 to be taken twice a day. Since I also take oxycodone 10 ,3 x a day the Dr said it would be the equivalent to the oxy 10 but last around the clock. Also I was wondering if anyone has noticed weight gain. I have put on 30lb in a matter of months which I have never done before. Maybe it's my system or to low of a dose but my Dr will not up it for anyone. I have also had a lot of crazy dreams and my blood pressure has went up quite high causing me to be put on medication for it."

Trish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Just took capsule 13.5 mg and sprinkled on yogurt, it hit me in 10 minutes extremely loopy but yes it really works, those people out there saying that it doesn’t work probably may have become tolerant of everything. Take your meds as prescribed people, do not overtake, this stuff works great, I feel 0% pain right now for the first time in 20 years"

Brian (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have been on this med because of insurance changes as well. Was on oxycontin 20mg 2x day plus three 10 mgs a day. Still having a lot of pain but somewhat of an existence and able to work some. Been on xtampza 18 2x day have had to go up on breakthrough and the doc not happy keeps telling me give it time. Its been 3 months. My biggest complaint is its inconsistency. Some days works ok and the next I find myself waking up sneezing. Its a shame how bad of four letter word pain is anymore and if you speak up or complain you worry your doctor will send you packing. And this month my copay for this changed same rules and cost as oxycontin but can't have that back according to doc."

Sadie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have taken all the usual prescription opiates over the past 14 years almost daily. Xtampza is very inconsistent and dangerous and therefore ineffective. My experience is that it is not time released. The withdrawal is the worst yet I paid a lot of money for this fancy capsules which is just a marketing scheme. I would not recommend this so called pain med to anyone. Big pharma guinea pig!!"

Skidbo July 13, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Have just started, seems to be working as advertised. I have had Chronic Pancreatitis for 12 years, and have struggled for years to get pain under control. Like I said before just started taking. It has been a week, I don’t have to take as much break through medicine. I can finally sleep more than 4 hours, yeah!!!"

Chronic pain 12 years (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Dose: 27mg, 2X per day; Hit-or-miss, minimal pain control; Side effects include IBS issues, dizziness, nausea, irritability, crying, elevated heart rate, hot flashes & insomnia. For the 1st time in 10 years my pain is NOT managed. Government & big business insurance companies are forcing patients to use an ineffective medication. The definition of "prejudice" & "discrimination." All CHRONIC pain patients complain to the US government, insurance companies & any legislators playing the role of "doctor,". Statements such as "all opioid patients/pain patients are abusing medication & 1-step away from heroin addiction," is SLANDEROUS & DISCRIMINATORY! Chronic pain patients aren't "addicted," they're "dependent" on the medicine for ADL. Contact your state chronic pain advocacy group and let's start taking back control of our lives!"

Kimmery (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Our county is one of several that is suing the drug manufactures so in order to look good the doctors at my pain clinic have totally messed me up. I was on 2, Oxycontin 30 mg. ER. plus my break thru pain medication. They have replaced the Oxycontin with the Xtampza ER 27 mg. I am in so much pain that I often can't get out of bed. My blood pressure has gone up since taking this so they have upped my BP medication."

Debbie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I can't really give an opinion yet as l just started on the medication today . I will come back in a month and give a review"

Dark (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have had a neck fusion and I am herniated from L2-S1, stenosis, 3 bone spurs , bursitis in my hips and arthritis. I live with chronic pain every second of everyday! My pain management dr had me on 30mg Oxycodone 6x a day ,and soma. He started me on extampza ER 18mg. It took a few days before I noticed I wasn’t taking as many Oxycodone because the extampza was helping me. I’m now on 15mg Oxycodone 4x a day and twice a day extampza and I feel great! I don’t want to look and feel high, I’m just looking for less pain. While taking extampza I’ll get a burst of the med which I like Extampza gives me exactly what I need! It’s my “got my life back med” there are some days I’ll only need 1 oxycodone! I don’t like taking meds all day every 4-6 hours this is just 2 a day! I’m feeling great!"

Living with less pain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Xtampza works very well for being extended release. I have half the breakthrough pain and flair up's taking this med. Take it around the clock on time. Be patient with this med and find out what dose works best. It changed my life drastically for the better."

Bad back/ arthritis (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018