User Reviews for Xtampza ER to treat Pain

Xtampza ER has an average rating of 3.0 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 17% of those users who reviewed Xtampza ER reported a positive effect, while 75% reported a negative effect.

Xtampza ER Rating Summary

3.0/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Xtampza ER

Ken Kramer · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2021

“I was on oxycontin 40, my insurance forced me to Xtampza 36. Compared with name brand oxycontin, Xtampza is better for me. It works within 40 minutes and it lasts 12 hours. Oxycontin took 90 minutes to start working and it stopped working after 8 hours, I wish I had Xtampza years ago. You must take it with food, taking it with no food or a very small amount of food is assuring you that you will experience pain and withdrawal that day, since it's so expensive make sure you are eating an orange, a bagel, or a cup of yogurt is enough, no need for a full meal. If you can't swallow the giant xtampza capsule you can open it and mix the contents with whatever you're eating.”

Lefturn59 April 20, 2021

“I’ve been on it a week. First off I got nauseated then realized I probally needed to eat with it . I’m not a breakfast eater, so this is going to be an issue. But I did start eating a few saltines with it . I’m on 18mgs . They do nothing for the pain by themselves . If I take them with my breakthrough med , they do seem to help them a little bit more . But they do take an hour and half to 2 hours to notice any pain relief , then they only work for like 4 hours after that. So no way they can be considered long acting . Also they make me sleepy constantly , so now I have absolutely no energy to get up and clean house . So to sum up , they are pretty worthless .”

Anonymous April 19, 2021

“Xtampza 18 mg did absolutely nothing for my pain . Fortunately, I read some reviews and found out I was not alone. I need to go back to oxycontin asap.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2020

“I am another patient to say Xtampza ER just sucks, it doesn't work. To get it to maybe work I gotta be a fat as with fatty hi cal foods? 7 spinal surgeries and 16 years on OxyContin and I was all good. It controlled the tingling nasty damaged nerve at the top of my butt crack that when it is firing is unbearable. I'm 64 year old pain patient suffering unbearably when the pain used to be under control”

Jilly June 2, 2019

“I trialed Xtampza ER for 5 days due to a forced step therapy trial. I went into the trial with a positive attitude because I wanted it to work and I can tolerate Oxycodone. (If it worked, my insurance company would stop hassling me because this med is cheaper than my current med.) However, by day two I could not walk or move because I experienced a rare side effect which I think was due to a filler. My muscle groups locked up consecutively one by one starting w/my lower back and spreading across my body. My pain was also completely uncontrolled, so the dosage was not comparable to my previous morphine milligram equivalency. (My trusted pharmacist researched Xtampza and thought it would be equivalent, so I share this as a possible criticism of the drug itself and not a commentary on my tolerance.) I have complex regional pain syndrome, meaning I am an intractable pain patient, and have been prescribed pain medication for about eight years to manage my pain.”

TK · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2019

“After nearly a year of using 18mg Xtempza (started at 9mg and worked up to 18mg) I’ve found waking an hour early and taking it with high fat yogurt and sleeping another hour leaves me feeling refreshed and on my way. It only seems to work for 6-8 hours so I use 20 mg baclofen and 10 mg oxy for breakthrough between doses. It also helps to use Tylenol in addition as it synergizes both forms. Also, if you can get your BP up for at least 20 minutes by taking a fast paced walk it also helps get the meds into your system much quicker. It’s not always easy but exercise helps in every way if you’re able. It’s not the perfect medicine but without it I would be miserable and likely unable to work and tolerate the cancers and radiation proctitis nearly as well as I am.”

Relentless · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2018

“Xtampza gave me my dignity back. I was bedridden for over four years straight and after literally trying every pain medication in existence (including Fentanyl, spinal nerve stimulator, and pain pump,) I am now able to function at a much higher level. This medication is ideal for those who metabolize meds rapidly, which can be discovered by taking a P-450 blood test. Because of the abuse deterrent capsule, the beads of medication break down slowly. In my experience, this keeps side effects like nausea down. It lasts longer than any ER med I have tried and is more stable in its release. I am losing weight gained previously. The capsule can be sprinkled on apple sauce, but needs to have a fat source to break down properly. A cracker or cookie easily solves this, which is a good practice to have in place with any med to protect stomach lining. I am prescribed a breakthrough med besides Xtampza. I am thankful beyond words that this has worked for me.”

C · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 5, 2021

“Xtampza ER 18 mg, 2 times a day. Worst medication I've ever been on. Not only did it not work for pain, it made me feel like I was in constant opioid withdrawal. I felt tired, couldn't sleep at night and theres not point this medicine should even exist. Extremely expensive and extremely worthless!”

Cancer fighter · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

“Hi I have 2 types of cancer, one that is stage 4. My doctor put me on these to try something new but when I take it I get severe pain in my kidneys, and my body aches where my lymph nodes are. I have also gotten shooting pains in my heart. Has anyone else had side effects like this? My doctor told me to keep taking them but I literally feel like they are killing my organs and me slowly.”

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

“Hi, It doesn't work at all I'm having so much pain it's unbearable ..”

Pat · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“This medicine does absolutely nothing for pain I tried taking it with fatty foods didn’t work. Depression set in so I stopped taking this 600month drug.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2020

“I was given Xtampza ER instead of oxycodone...Now, I have had 2 years of unbearable pain.”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2018

“Takes too long to work... no matter what you eat... Don't waste your time.”