Is Xtampza ER a controlled substance?
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Feb 23, 2021.
Yes. Xtampza ER (oxycodone) is a schedule II controlled substance.
What is Xtampza ER?
Xtampza ER (oxycodone) an opioid agonist indicated for the management of pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.
Xtampza ER is an extended-release, abuse-deterrent formulation of oxycodone for twice-daily administration.
What is a Schedule II Controlled Substance?
Drugs placed in Schedule II of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) have a high potential for abuse and dependence.
Drugs in Schedule II have a currently accepted medical use in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions. Abuse of these drugs may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.
Examples of Schedule II substances include morphine, cocaine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, fentanyl, and methylphenidate.
What does Abuse-Deterrent mean?
Xtampza ER uses the proprietary DETERx® technology platform to prevent abuse of the active ingredient oxycodone. It is designed to prevent abuse by maintaining the drug release profile even after physical manipulation including chewing and crushing/dissolving. Misuse of Xtampza ER can lead to overdose and death.
Related Medical Questions
- Oxycodone vs Hydrocodone - How do they compare?
- What is hydrochloride?
- Oxycodone vs OxyContin - What's the difference?
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Aleve vs Ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- What's the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Naproxen vs ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits?
- Acetaminophen vs ibuprofen: What is the difference?
- Tylenol vs Advil: What's the difference?
- Motrin vs Advil: What's the difference?
- Aleve vs Advil: What's the difference?
- Does gabapentin help nerve pain?
- Norco vs Vicodin - How do they compare?
- Why do you take Claritin with Neulasta?
- How long does it take for Tylenol to start working?
- Is acetaminophen the same as Tylenol?
- Xtampza ER Information for Consumers
- Xtampza ER Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Xtampza ER (detailed)