User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Drowsiness

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Modafinil Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Drowsiness.

Reviews for Modafinil

BleuJayLady · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

"This medicine was started due to a daytime sleep study in which it took me 2 minutes to fall asleep in comparison to 17 minutes In your average person. I started out on one tablet per day, which quickly bumped to 2. Unfortunately, I am resistant to most medicines, therefore was bumped up to three tablets. I sincerely hope the three continue to work, as I am at the max dosage. However, whether under the name modafinil or Provigil, this medicine works quite well. I don't seem to have any side-effects and I don't fall asleep at in appropriate times."

Amandalyn · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2018

"I've taken this for little over 2 years, and its been a great help to me. I take 200mg daily. Generally 100mg at noon and 100mg at 5pm - with two cups of coffee in the morning. When I wake up really exhausted I might need a pill in the morning... and when I have a late night, or an extra exhausting day I'll take another pill. I do wish this stuff lasted longer for me, one pill a day would be nice. But this works for me, and at least my Dr is awesome enough to let me take how much I feel I need, and to take it when I want. (I tried a bigger dose in the morning but it still wears off just as quick- which is why I break up my daily dose). Good luck to others trying to figure this out!"

lee June 26, 2018

"I get body itching every time I take it, can anyone suggest if is ok to have it with anti allergy drugs? "

Akeidolon · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2017

"I have just started using this med after extensive sleep testing. Due to medical reason and just my own internal clock I seem to have a combination of Insomnia and Hypersonmia. I'm currently only prescribed 100 mg 1/day. I guess I was hoping for a magic bullet, but the first day I took it I promptly fell back asleep. The second day I was able to stay away and actually focus on getting things done. Today I slept for 36 hours straight in spite of taking it and am ready to go right back to bed. It also gives me some killer headaches. Being so new to it, and having seen positive results on one out of three days, I'm hoping that they'll be able to increase my dosage when I check in with the specialist in a couple of weeks."

EbonyLouise September 6, 2017

"I was given Provigil for my sleep disorder. Already have major depression and Provigil made it significantly worse along with effect my memory. I will need to try a different medication with fewer side effects. It did keep me awake but the severe depression wasn't worth it."

Becca295 June 10, 2017

"Initially, this medication worked well. It gave me energy and focus, and I felt like I was finally awake. However, after using it for a week, I started to notice weakness in my legs. As I continued taking it, the nervous system issues worsened, to the point where I had Reynaud's syndrome and tingling in my arms, legs, and throat. It also heightened my anxiety. I finally switched to Ritalin, and though it doesn't give me the same level of focus, I no longer have any of the negative side effects."

Nicky1983 · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2017

"I have EDS also Epilepsy. Actually thought for years the EDS symptoms were caused by my antiseizure meds since they can make you tired. It was something that I just accepted so I really didn't have much of a life. Anyways, I started on Modafinil about 2 weeks ago. 100mg when I wake up at 7:45am to go to work. I was finding that it helped, but at about 11-11:30am, I was back to how I normally am. I just saw my dr and I am now to take 100mg three times a day. Today was my first day on my new dose. 1st dose was at 8am, 2nd at noon. Had 2 cups of coffee. By 4pm, I was feeling drowsy, yawning, eyes heavy. Feeling like I needed to nap. *Long story short: it works, but short-acting. 3-4 hours. I wish they made an Extended Release version.*"

Tyrian · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2016

"I'm 25, diagnosed with ADHD, Anxiety Disorder and Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I've taken Concerta for several years for ADHD. And was only recently diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia. For a while I took both concerta and Ritalin. While it helped to some degree with daytime sleepiness, I still found it impossible to wake up and would frequently crash before I could even make it to bed. Recently I was taken off of Concerta and Ritalin entirely and switched to Modafinil. While wake promoting effects aren't quite as strong, they're much more consistent. I'm still tired, but it's much more manageable and easier to wake up. As a plus, since making the switch my anxiety is also much better."

Jv1988 · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2016

"I was dx w hypersomnia after having a sleep study. I usually fall asleep fine but wake up many times throughout the night, resulting in extreme fatigue during the day. I have excellent "sleep hygiene" ) usually go to bed and get up at the same time, have cut out caffeine and drink plenty of water and so on). I'm a nurse and student, both while being a single mother of two; I asked about this medication because I want to be more efficient with my schooling. In have no problems reading, but retaining information was difficult, also falling asleep during meetings at times. This medicine has helped me keepnfocused without the stimulant effects of feeling wired. On days I don't do schoolwork I try not take it, so my Tolerance threshold lowers."

apmcs November 4, 2015

"Horrible! I am dizzy, feel like vomiting, diarrhea, more sleepy than before and super super dizzy, this thing is worrying me alot"

NYC 72 June 28, 2015

"I have chronic fatigue due to autoimmune, mitochondrial, autonomic... I also have a (genetic) circadian disorder, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome & hypersomnia ( sleeping up to 12 hrs day). I can't work. I feel more alert on Modafini (Provigil) and can do more activities. It gives me mild anxiety but I'll take it over being fatigued. 1st few nights I had trouble falling asleep. After that, I actually started feeling tired at the end of the day and often go to bed earlier. As for my hypersomnia, I can't sleep much longer than 8 hrs. Once I wake up, even if I would like to, I can't fall back to sleep. I am very glad I finally after 8 years of fatigue decided to take it. Wish I did sooner."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2015

"Before this medicine I always felt tired , irrated by little things,and sometime felt emotionless because of how tired I was I went to my neurologist was diagnosed with ideopathic hypersomnia which means when I sleep I guess I don't really sleep. All I know is I have a New perspective on life knowing there was something wrong with me and now this medicine controls it and makes me feel so much more awake and be just like anyone else that does not have this disorder I learned the hard way one day what will happen if I stop taking it. I will go back to my old depressed tired self"

wayney October 12, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): "I have multiple rheumatic conditions, fibromyalgia, etc. Because of sleepiness being one of the common side effects of many of my medications and the fact that with fibro sleep is messed up, I first took it in 2006 and the only time I've been off of it in that time was the 11 months in 2009 while I was hospitalized. It would have been pointless to take at that time due to what was going on. But, since restarting it, my alertness has been much better. I have no side effects that I notice. When I first took it, I did not think of the warning given by the NP at my pain doctor's office. She said take a quarter or half of the dose. That's the only time I've had bad side effects. Now I have none. I've been at 100mg/day for a year or so."

Anonymous September 3, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): "I have been on this medicine for 7 years and cannot imagine life without it. It doesn't seem to work for everyone, but is a lifesaver for me. I had a headache for 3 days when I started it and lost my appetite for a week. After that it was fine. I can get by on 200mg if I need to, but feel tired still most of the day (but won't fall asleep unless I want to). My usual dose is 300mg which keeps me alert and I can't even take a nap if I want to."

Anonymous January 19, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): "I have been taking Provigil 200mg x 2 for 3 yrs. I don't doze off while driving like I used to which is wonderful. I do still get very sleepy in the afternoon and I have a lot of fatigue. The major downfall to Provigil is the cost. I lost my job due to a lay off and no longer have insurance. My prescription without insurance is over $800 per month. Needless to say I will no longer be able to take it once I use all of what I have. Not looking forward to that at all. My doctor also prescribed Ritalin to take in the afternoons but it just makes me jittery for about 15 minutes and that's pretty much all it does for me."

Learn more about Drowsiness

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)