User Reviews for Armodafinil

Also known as: Nuvigil

Learn more about Armodafinil.

ADHD 13 reviews 36 medications

Hypersomnia 26 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Summary of Armodafinil reviews 249 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Armodafinil

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Works very well at keeping me awake. No euphoria like amphetamines, very few side effects in fact aside from a very mild headache, which aspirin can fix. It seems like all it does is remove my chronic fatigue.. without giving extra energy. Perfect in my opinion. Anxiety can be a problem, especially at the 250mg dose. If it is a problem, I would recommend breaking the 250mg in half and taking them several hours apart, which also helps with the late afternoon crash. If you have high blood pressure or heart problems, probably not a good idea to take it. Also, there is a generic.. not sure of the price difference."

DoJo Starfox September 14, 2016

For ADHD: "This drug nuvigil I took for 3 days only half a pill 250 mg dosage my whole body is swollen my body aches I have a horrible stomich with non stop diarrhea difficulty swallowing .I am still feeling horrible 2 days later after stopped taking it and I hope it goes away .this was the worst feeling I've ever had in my entire my life"

Taylor smith September 5, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "My doctor seems to only identify with how it effects him, which he sometimes takes when going on a long trip. He says, It lasts for 8 to 12 hours. No on me 3 to 4 hours. I looked up what other narcoleptics said. They said they take 250 mg twice a day. That would be good, but who can afford it. My part is $300 for once a day. I have not experienced any side effects that I am aware of, but I am taking the next four days without any nuvigil to see if my sleep wake pattern gets better. My present problem may or may not be related to nuvil. I don't know. I wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Sometime I can go back to sleep after 3 or 4 hours, but sometimes I never do. So, I am functioning, poorly, on about 4 hours of sleep"

Sharra (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2016

For ADHD: "My initial QbTest score was 99. I was prescribed Vyvanse 20mg but was supposed to be taking 3/day. I misunderstood and only took 1 early in the morning on the day of my follow up test. I have Nuvigil that I take occasionally for shift work sleep disorder. I took one to help stay alert on my afternoon drive to the follow up test. My QbTest score dropped from 99 to 12. I am sure that the Nuvigil is responsible because the Vyvanse was taken at the lowest dose and several hours outside the time window."

MCPSr. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I work night shift and have little kids which don't understand I'm tired or care so Nuvigil is a life saver. I use to be extremely tired in the morning and want to just lay on the couch because I was tired but no more of that since nuvigil. I have lost 15 lbs in 6 months. Not sure if it's because I'm more active or if it's Nuvigil. My house is the cleanest it's ever been. The first couple of days I took the medication I couldn't sleep all night but that is not a problem anymore so give it a week for body to adjust."

Night shift nurse (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "It was way better than nothing at all, but it did nothing at all for my pain. This helped my fatigue enough that I could be mostly functional, but it was like a low level of energy stretched out through the day, and I still ended up not having enough energy to do a lot of the things I want to do. Ritalin worked 10x better at helping my fatigue than Nuvigil did."

Katattacker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I had nausea, trouble concentrating and had chest pains and pressure for 2 weeks after I stopped taking it. I was just as tired taking this medication."

Liz-G (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

For Narcolepsy: "Horrible horrible headaches. Have taken nuvigil for years insurance would only cover armodafonil so tried it. The headache was debilitating and I was still sleepy. Back to Nuvigil thank the lord"

Sleeping Six August 3, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I had been on Nuvigil for over 8 years making my fibro and Epstein Barr bearable. Just being able to stay awake during the day with what I call natural energy and then naturally feeling tired at night. The all over body aches and sensitivity generally would be as low as a 2 instead of an 8 comparatively. When my Rheumatic doctor put me on it way back then she stated it was being considered for fibro patients then. And now for the first time my insurance has denied my doctors prescription and I'm in appeal. My sleep is almost nonexistent, yet I'm exhausted. I ache every day pain level (6-9) and many days I just cannot make it out of bed for any length of time. If you have access to Nuvigil or it's generic I hope you have the benefits."

EdyRose (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2016

For ADHD: "Nuvigil works great but my insurance won't pay for it because my diagnosis is not listed. I am a 54 year old who is going to college and working full time, I am having a very difficult time staying focused and keeping up. I can't afford the medication so I have been out for weeks. My neurologists gave me samples when I was diagnosed and I ran out and so did she."

Loverfield July 15, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "started on nuvigil for symptoms of anxiety and excessive daytime sleepiness. Started taking nuvigil in November. My first symptoms was excessive salivation, my stomach would get upset, felt nauseated. I felt like I had a dry lump in my throat continuously. It affected my normal swallowing of saliva but I had no trouble swallowing water or food. Lost 33 lbs in 4-5 months. Then my mouth ,lips and tongue started burning. I stopped taking nuvigil in March. The mouth burning has subsided some.I still feel nauseated at times. Taking tums and omeprazol for my stomach symptoms.Last Dr. Visit my omeprazol was doubled also put on Zantac. Had An EGD. All came out normal. It's been 8 months and my nausea and burning mouth continue."

Nina52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "I have severe sleep apnea and was put on a CPAP machine. I never felt like it did any good,was still tired as heck. Dr.put me on Nuvigil and it is great. Some days I am still tires but not like before."

Postalred (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "This medicine caused high prolactin"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "The only thing that works for my depression. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, not covered by insurance."

davetrindle May 25, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I took 250mg each morning, and my whole personality was brighter, more gregarious, more talkative e, physically more capable."

davetrindle (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Been on this RX since its release, prior to that Provigil. (I've also had 5 OSA corrective surgical operations that weren't mindblowingly successful for 4+ months of downtime & in-&-out of the hospital with complications for a month.). I take 500 mg/day in 2 doses split by 5 hours, each dose with 20 mg dexadrine. (Plus a 3rd 20 mg dose of dex) To be short, I couldn't have the energy to write this message let alone work or at times even drive. For me its all about the timing of the doses, took me years to find the RIGHT way to take this RX for ME. 250 didn't work, 2 different insurance companies approved 500. Be prepared to fight for approval, don't give up, I got used to hearing no until I followed all insurance steps for complex approval"

crazydude81 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Prescribed to help with feeling exhausted due to suspected sleep apnea. Having a sleep test later this month. In the meantime, Doctor felt Nuvigil may be of benefit. The drug had me bouncing off the walls for the first couple of days but I did feel better - alert and with more energy than I'd had in quite some time. I was very pleased but then, disappointingly after day four of being in the drug, I began to experience difficulty swallowing and my lips became numb. My throat then began to close and I was having difficulty breathing. My wife rushed me to the emergency room where I eventually passed out. I was pumped full of Benedryl and Prednizone until my breathing began to return to normal. I felt the drug was working until the reaction."

jayski45 April 27, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 5 years ago. I use a bilevel cpap every night. I am a 60 year old male. I have chronic and severe back pain also. Between the sleep apnea and pain meds I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day. After finally getting insurance coverage for Nuvigil 150mg I started it about 5 months ago. I take it everyday. The first day I took it I was up for 20 hours straight and felt better than I had in 15 years. This drug worked great. A couple of days ago something happened. All of a sudden I'm back to spending all day in bed and can't stay awake. I don't know what happened. Hopefully next week when I see my doctor I can find out. I hope I don't need a stronger dose already."

RDSMART April 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this drug since the US release date, previous to that having to cross the border into Mexico to buy Provigil. Luckily I have no insurance hiccups with Nuvigil besides yearly prior authorizations. I have sleep apnea to which I've had 5 surgeries to correct & am Bipolar 1. I take 2 x 250 mg. tablets daily, spaced by 5 hours--it really helps with the extreme lethargy you get from atypicals & mood stabalizers, I don't think I'd be able to hold a job without it. This is not some miracle Limitless drug for those who seriously need it, its a way to change your life to keep up when all your other meds just slow you down. I was on 1 dose a day & it wore off within 5-6 hours, thus the second dose. $5 copay with coupon on their site."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "amazinggggggg!!!!!!! packaging needs to seriously be changed though. with narcolepsy, i have horribly low energy in the morning and the last thing i need is to have to spend 10 minutes struggling to get a tablet out. i usually fall asleep again before i'm even able to take it. no side effects so far, fingers crossed."

Poooooooo March 16, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Diagnosed with narcolepsy and had frequent daily cataplexy. Nothing else worked, prior to getting diagnosed, hours and hours of sleep mixed with coffee, energy drinks and abuse of workout stimulants. After adjusting to the jitters and slight nausea, I've never felt better. Every now and then I will need a small nap, but I am sleeping deeper and sleep walking much less. I went from several cataplexy a day to only three in the last month. Those three only happened because I hadn't gotten enough sleep that night. This drug works the best for me when I get more than 6 hours of sleep, ideally 7 or 8 hours though. I am very happy overall, but it is ridiculously expensive if you aren't on an insurance plan, like me (just switched jobs)."

KG414 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Originally I tried provigil. Nuvigil wasn't available yet. Loved it at first but as my body adjusted in my ignorance, I got nervous. I stopped. I had to deal with it. About 12 years later I tried again. This time I read more and I asked lots of questions. I am a new person. I am so grateful for nuvigil!! What I've learned (I am not an MD) Start out with a low dose. Half pills are fine. (Do not exceed 250 mg unless dr prescribed). Your body may be adjusting not building tolerance for a year or 2. Take each week at a time Naps still necessary; My naps are only about 30 min instead of 2 hrs but very refreshing Take a day or 2 off every week or 2. Makes a huge difference! Awesome insurance helps a lot! $5 per 30"

Severe narcolepsy w/ cataplexy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2016

For ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, but my parents never put me on the drugs. At 30 I decided to see how the other half lived. Concerta, Vyvance, Focalin, etc, I've been prescribed them all. Most are pretty effective, but the jitters, nerves, sleeplesness, etc. were rough. I was prescribed Nuvigil because I didn't want the amphetamine base anymore and I had heard about it. Insurance wasn't happy, but it was approved. It is fantastic. My only complaint, and I'm guessing it's pretty rare, is that it makes me sleepy for the 1st week or so until my body adjusts. After that, clarity. No jitters, no moodiness, no sleep issues, nada. The mood elevating effects are nice too. It might not work for many this way but I would be lost without it."

mdss January 14, 2016

For Hypersomnia: "I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia and was prescribed nuvigil. I started with 150mg. The 1st week was great, I felt like I had my life back and was enjoying it. The 2nd week wasn't as good but was better than what it was before. The 3rd week I was fatigued around 2pm and the 4th week I was back to fatigue all day. The Dr. increased my dosage to 200mg. I've been on that for the past 5 days and I am now back to how I was before. Side effects have been headaches and slight nausea on the 150mg however on 200mg I get extremely nauseous about 12 hours after taking the pill. Waiting for Dr. to call me back."

NJR37 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started using nuvigil two months ago to help ease the symptoms of depression associated with my bioplar II. Overall this medication has by no means cured me, but it has allowed me to become much more functional when I am depressed. It helps me think a lot clearer, makes me more positive, and most importantly just gives me the motivation to get stuff done when I would otherwise have absolutely zero motivation to do anything. I only take this when I am depressed, as I have found it makes me kind of irritable when I am hypomanic and it just makes it really hard to sleep. The only downside is that I have to live on samples because insurance doesn't cover a penny of it:("

astokely January 3, 2016