User Reviews for Armodafinil

Also known as: Nuvigil

Armodafinil has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 323 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Narcolepsy
9.2
Summary of Armodafinil reviews 7.2 323 reviews

Reviews for Armodafinil

.hope · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2020

For Depression: “After 25 years of treatment resistant depression, Nuvigil relieved my symptoms in less than 1 hour. Peace of mind, contentment and the ability to enjoy life again. And no side effects. But can’t find a psychiatrist who will work with me on higher dosage. Afraid of losing their licence. I think they should lose it for not treating me with the only thing that has ever worked, including ECT, TMS and ketamine. When will the medical community learn to listen to patients like me?”

r-m-c · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 4, 2021

For Depression: “I tried ECT, ketamine, and every medication and combination of medications known to man for 24 years. I was been hospitalized 6 times for depression. Since starting on Armodafinil in December 2018, I have had a life again. It has quite literally saved my life. I am productive, empowered and happy again. I could literally cry at any moment just to think about this.”

Anonymous February 27, 2010

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I began suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome about a year ago. Didn't know I had it, just knew I was sleeping more than I was awake. Just diagnosed in January and have been taking Nuvigil since then. Started at 150 mg a day, but it wore off by mid afternoon. Have since increased the dosage to two pills a day. I take the second pill in the afternoon and it keeps me going for another 6 hours or so. I haven't had to take a nap since I started taking the medication and I am able to concentrate more. I feel more alert and can get much more accomplished during the day. I don't have trouble sleeping or staying asleep. This medication has been a miracle that has given me back my life.”

Watsonsrus8 August 5, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I have been on Nuvigil for about one year. I have fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Before Nuvigil I couldn't stay awake. When I would have my morning coffee I would be fighting sleep. Although I am still very tired and weak I can stay awake for the entire day now. I feel this is the most important medicine I take. It works for both CFS and Fibromyalgia.”

dianemob July 13, 2019

For Depression: “I've had severe treatment resistant depression for 25 years. I tried meds, ect, tms but nothing worked. 3 years ago I was taking 4 prozac, and 2 lamictal and I was still extremely depressed. 3 years ago my doctor decided to try Nuvigil. It saved my life. And also gave me my life back. Within 1 hour after the first dose I was back to normal. I started being more social, finding hobbies, and most important of all - I had peace of mind. ”

Lilo22 · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2021

For Narcolepsy: “I have been on NUVIGIL for at least 5 years. My insurance recently stopped paying for the name brand and will only pay for generic. My pharmacy filled ARMODAFINIL from drug manufacturer AUROBINDO... my experience was absolutely horrible. I have never been so tired in my life. Within an hour of taking it I was extremely tired I was unable to stay awake regardless if I was standing, driving or gardening. The headaches were debilitating started having dizzy spells. When I realized it could be this medication by this manufacturer I stopped taking it immediately and it took two days for the effects to wear off.. I will never take any medication from the drug manufacturer AUROBINDO again.”

KittyKatKrissy · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2021

For ADHD: “I was diagnosed with ADHD, Inattentive-Type, as an adult, after both my kids were diagnosed. I tried both Concerta & Adderall, but they both caused chest pain. Vyvanse helps somewhat, but I can only take 20mg/day; I get weird side effects if I take more, so my symptoms are only partially resolved. Armodafinil is a game changer! I am able to stay connected to the real world all day. (As opposed to just existing in my own mind, and not getting anything done). It's strange to be able to act like "normal" people do, and to realize I'm not lazy, ineffective, slovenly, etc; there's obviously some "glitch" in my brain, and armodafinil seems to fix it.”

Susan · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2020

For Depression: “I have taken Armodinil before this was Nuvagil. I have major depression. I also take Trentillix. ARMODINIL HELPS ME GREATLY. IT DOES HELP PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION. I DO NOT CARE WHAT doctors and chemist say.”

ZenZenPup · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2012

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Fibromyalgia: “It comes down to a very basic choice: DO I want to remain semi-comatose, in pain from head to toe, or remain drugged up and semi-sentient from the cocktail of potions meant to ease my "depression"? NUVIGIL is a third, best option. NUVIGIL brings back your ability to focus, concentrate, persevere, work at whatever your body can handle that day... all the things that make living productive and rewarding. Before NUVIGIL, I was losing, or had lost so many parts of my personality to just EXISTING from one prescription of AMBIEN, CYMBALTA, LYRICA, AMITRYPTILINE, FLUOXETINE, DOXEPIN, ZOLPIDEM, HYOSCYAMINE SULFATE, CYCLOBENZAPRINE, HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE, LISINOPRIL, METHOCARBAMOL, PROPANOLOL, etc.”

BurtBurt April 9, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Depression: “Provigil then Nuvigil (slightly less expensive) helped save my life. Took Provigil first, switched to Nuvigil (same effect), for 6.5 years now. Day one value, no side effects as far as I know. Still same dose (250mg Nuvigil, equivalent of 200mg Provigil), never increased or decreased. Effect same today as day one. Note: I've been on a "cocktail": 20mg Lexapro and 1mg Klonopin daily, plus daily mindfulness meditation and weekly CBT. But 6.5 years of lovely life after 3 terrible episodes of major depression in under 6 years. Certainly have ups and downs, but not severe and brief. If I run out for a few days I'm grumpier, less resilient but Nuvigil greatly clarifies my thinking and energizes me. It's not for all, but miracle for me.”

wisdomofhearts August 14, 2010

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Bipolar Disorder: “My Bipolar II Disorder is horribly debilitating when my medications are not working or are in the middle of being adjusted. However, when the depression and sleep problems (racing thoughts as soon as I lie down, interrupted sleep, not sleeping at all, etc.) are added to the mix, my life becomes completely unbearable. As soon as my doctor gave me Nuvigil it was like I became myself again! The difference was phenomenal. I felt "normal." It is a total miracle that I can get up and do the dishes, fold laundry, shop...all the simple things that so many people take for granted. Nuvigil gives me the energy that Bipolar Disorder steals from me.”

SugrAddict July 4, 2011

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Fibromyalgia: “I suffer from Fibromyalgia along with some sort of sleep problem. My doctor gave me a trial supply of Nuvigil to help keep me awake through the day so that I could get a full nights sleep. Even if I can keep awake all day, I still can only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night...even with sleeping pills. However, I am SO glad my doctor decided to give me Nuvigil. The pain in my legs is GONE! I've had crippling pain in my legs since the onset of my Fibromyalgia (among other places). The more I walk, the worse it gets. To my surprise, after I took my first Nuvigil, the pain in my legs disappeared. What a wonderful surprise. Helps my ADD too. Now I have to beg my doctor for a prescription.”

Didee · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2018

For Depression: “I have suffered from treatment resistant. severe, chronic depression for 25 years. Tried all meds wchich either didn't work or quit working, or side effects were not tolerable. I've had ECT and TMS also. About a year and a half ago my doctor prescribed Nuvigil. It saved my life! No side effects, works within an hour. It does wear off in the evening and sometimes I become depressed but I know that the next day I will be OK, unlike the endless hopelessness of depression without Nuvigil. I can't understand why none of the drug companies will conduct tests and use it to help more people in my situation.”

Fibropain October 19, 2011

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Fibromyalgia: “Just as the previous person commented....I happened upon Nuvigil/Provigil while being treated for the ugly side effects of Fibromyalgia...such as sleep disorders, PAIN all over (in my muscles), and an overall sense of fatigue - every day. My Nuvigil ACTUALLY makes me WANT to move. And, any Fibromyalgia patient would know that it is crucial for us to maintain some sort of movement everyday, even exercise if we can. I think this is one of those medicines that were proposed (and approved) through the FDA for one primary condition. However, with time we find more uses for the medication that it may work even better on other conditions. If it weren't for my Doctor - I would not have found this amazing option for my condition.”

Mirsad September 3, 2021

For Depression: “Long time sufferer from depression.I’ve had high hopes after reading all the positive reviews about armodafinil.I finally got some samples and took 75 msg artvigil .It worked within half hour but my anxiety was through the roof on the verge of panic attacks. I drank lot of water but anxiety just kept getting worse .I felt jittery and anxious all day in to the night. 2 days later I got a terrible headache and anxiety still present. I take mirtazapine on night time and usually within half hour of taking mirtazapine I would feel sedated and sleepy. This time nothing, I was still wide awake until the early hours in the morning with persistent anxiety/panic attacks .Now 2 days later still feel the effect of armodafinil, anxiety , spaced out and general bad feeling. I might try a lower dose again in a couple of weeks to see if it works better but not holding high hopes .Really disappointed as this was one of my last resort to get my depression In order .”

vr_tired July 6, 2009

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Got a trial prescription for Nuvigil 150mg tablets, first day was incredible, but after a few days the effectiveness was greatly diminished. Still worked but did not have the same effect as day one. Worried about using it regularly since it is not covered by insurance and without that the cost is outrageous ($330/30 tablets). Does not leave you nervous like Ritalin, and lasts longer than Provigil. Worth trying if your health care plan covers it.”

Life Changing · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 8, 2017

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I work two full-time jobs in Information Technology on a high level at both jobs. I have to be razor sharp or the effects could be catastrophic. I have been using Nuvigil for almost 16 months. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADD and took Ritalin which helped but as I got older taking that was not realistic. Nuvigil has been a godsend. I am able to articulate my thoughts clearly, finish tasks at hand efficiently and timely, and also having ADD with Nuvigil it almost propels me in some weird microcosm of being smarter than 90% of the people around me. I am not sure how or why but that is my story and I gain nothing from this except hoping to help someone else who is lost in the woods ”

Biggersnook · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I have had 4 back surgeries ( pins, screws, plates, etc.) and both of my hips replaced, all before turning 43. Before this, I earned a Ph.D., became a Prof. in Accounting was rewarded multitudes of student-awarded, colleague-awarded, and superiors-rewarded accollades. Then, with all the narcotics, opiods, hospitalizations, etc, tenure was literally jerked from my grasp, and I have been forced out of three other universities since. The depression of repeated recoveries from surgery and then med withdrawals and job losses drove me into extreme depression. Got the pain under control but it got to where I was in bed 6 of 7 days full-time. I was taking Cymbalta, but when my Dr. tried Nuvigil, it brought me back to the happiness I had known before.”

Luna24 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 16, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: “I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy about 18 months ago after battling constant fatigue no matter how much sleep I received at night or how many naps I took throughout the day. Nuvigil has changed my life! I take one pill daily, and I am able to live a normal life outside of the fog that I was constantly living in before my diagnosis. I had a lot of side effects when I first started taking Nuvigil which included headaches, dry mouth, cramping, nausea, loss of appetite, and dizziness, but those were nothing compared to being able to finally live my life fully for the first time! I felt like before I was swimming in murky water unable to see or function, and after the medication I can actually experience life and interact with people!”

Commoner · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2021

For Depression: “Armodafinil works for me after everything under the sun including ketamine and TMS. If I miss a dose, I’m hurting, so it’s got to be used consistently to work for me. If I take it too late in the day it has a tendency to contribute to insomnia. However, it boosts me out of the doldrums as quickly as ketamine is supposed to in effect. Combined with Abilify it’s not too stimulating like caffeine. Without Abilify, some tension, jitteriness and perspiration is possible. Abilify helps calm anxiety. So the combination works reasonably well for me.”

Melancthon November 26, 2010

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Depression: “I have suffered from clinical depression for years. I barely have enough energy to get out of bed. My house is a mess and so am I. My MD put me on 75 mg of Nuvigil and the effects were amazing and instant. The only side effect I had was a mild headache and sleeplessness which both went away after a few days. I am gradually getting more energy and feeling more optimistic. I can see why the Caphalon is investigating this drug for treatment of depression by the FDA. My biggest problem is the cost, as I have no insurance. I can't pay 1/3 of my income each month for a pill. I qualify for the patient assistance program, so will try that. Otherwise I don't know what to do, as the MD has only given me perhaps a month of samples.”

Susan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2021

For Depression: “Have suffered with depression most of my adult life. Diagnosed with MS age 1985 -26 yrs ago! With age & MS - anxiety, major fatigue, major depression & cognitive dysfunction - all were making it difficult to get out of bed, much less function effectively. Psychiatrist of many years prescribed Nuvigil 10 yrs ago - and it has been a LIFESAVER! On days that I have to make decisions, socialize and get anything “normal”, such as housework done - I will take (2)250mg NUVIGIL/armandofanil - early am, mid afternoon. But as others have mentioned, I will also stop taking it when it begins to losing it effectiveness for 3 days or so. And during those 3 days, I am USELESS. I also take Seroquel & Lamictal as antidepressants - and Xanax for anxiety.”

Lynne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: “I have been on nuvigil for almost a year now, this has been the only stimulant to work for me. I have narcolepsy and ADHD. So adderall and it’s relative medicines actually make more more of a zombie, albeit a very focused zombie. Nuvigil does not cause my heart to race ( I also have mitral valve prolapse ) it does not negatively effect my anxiety. This medicine has been a life saver for me! It does effect my ability to feel hunger. I don’t get hungry until around 2 pm but honestly, this is a good thing bc when I eat I become very tired. This is due to the nature of Narcolepsy. We are low on orexin, so when we eat what little orexin we have gets ‘turned off’. Orexin is the chemical in the brain that helps regulate wake and sleep. Orexin on means awake, orexin off means asleep. Orexin is directly effected by food intake.”

Kris214 December 7, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Narcolepsy: “I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia with long sleep time. Before Nuvigil, I would sleep 16-20 hours per day, and nothing could keep me awake. This medicine has completely changed my life. I am on the highest dosage (250mg). At first, the medicine gave me a terrible headache and made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach. After about two to three weeks, the side effects almost completely subsided. I feel like a normal person now. I take the medicine early in the morning when my first alarm goes off. Sometimes, I fall back to sleep, or I can stay up and relax watching T.V or something. An hour or two later it is easy to wake. Energy throughout the day, and doesn't keep me up at night. This allows me to live "normally". I feel little to no side effects and get sleepy before bedtime, energized all day.”

fibromyalgia October 23, 2009

Nuvigil (armodafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “So far I love Nuvigil. I can actually go all day without needing to lay down in the afternoon. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. I may need to bump it up as 150 mgs. does not seem to make me as awake as it did the first week. I like the way it makes me feel awake but not nervous and jittery like Ritalin did. I can now work a shift and actually come home and do chores around the house instead of lay down. I have had no side effects so far and have been on it a month.”