User Reviews for Armodafinil to treat Shift Work Sleep Disorder

Also known as: Nuvigil

Armodafinil Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Shift Work Sleep Disorder.

Reviews for Armodafinil

"I work 8:30pm-6:30am 4 nights a week, with 3 days off. I have a hard time sleeping during the day, which means I have a hard time staying awake when I’m working all night. I started armodafinil 150 mg today before my night shift. I only slept 2-4 hours today, but I feel like I slept 10 hours. I’m wide awake and super productive at work. I usually drink 200-300mg of caffeine at work, but I won’t be drinking any caffeine tonight because I don’t feel like I need it. I recommend drinking lots of water and eating with the pill. My side effects: headache (probably from lack of caffeine), racing heart, nausea, hot (feels like I took a thermogenic). I also don’t like that it can cause birth control to be ineffective, but the benefits outweigh the side effects for me. I would definitely recommend!"

Autumn (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2019

"Brand name Nuvigil works great to keep me awake and alert while working a busy and long night shift in a position (paramedic) where I must be alert . Energy drinks just don’t cut it . I was also switched to generic (Sandoz) and was drowsy throughout the entire nights and with a very distracting headache. I stopped them all and plan to get back on the real stuff if it doesn’t break me. I can still perform as I have for 20 years but it takes a good bit of effort to keep my brain kicking at 3 am... thanks for listening "

Kev (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I have taken nuvigil for having two jobs and it is a great help....no negative side effects...except for my wallet! I recently got a coupon, tried to use it and the price with my insurance ( not medicare, etc or public assist) was over $125.00 although coupon said first script free and refills as low as $5.00!!!! Not true!!!! Now have to go back to Dr. and get script for generic. Mom is right.....Nothing is free. This is poor business procedure."

Kidd (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

"I had been on Nuvigil (Brand name) for 5 years and it worked perfect for me. It did what it was supposed to do and what I was taking it for. When switched to the generic version of Nuvigil (denied brand over generic by insurance several times even though my doctor told them I was stabilized on the brand name) and it has drastically changed my life for the worse. It does not work, period. I am more tired after taking the generic and have GI problems. The generic version of Nuvigil is NOT the same as the brand name, AT ALL. It is pathetically sad how others can make a decision that changes your life so significantly."

SuzRN88 January 26, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I work two full-time jobs in Information Technology on a high level at both jobs. I have to be razor sharp or the effects could be catastrophic. I have been using Nuvigil for almost 16 months. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADD and took Ritalin which helped but as I got older taking that was not realistic. Nuvigil has been a godsend. I am able to articulate my thoughts clearly, finish tasks at hand efficiently and timely, and also having ADD with Nuvigil it almost propels me in some weird microcosm of being smarter than 90% of the people around me. I am not sure how or why but that is my story and I gain nothing from this except hoping to help someone else who is lost in the woods "

Life Changing (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2017

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I didn't get the best results from this medication. Does not last long. I have to take 3X recommend does to be productive throughout the day. Not what I expected."

Workaholic58 December 19, 2016

"Always a total skeptic about meds but.....OH MY GOD!! First time user of this medication. Took 500mg dose around 6 hours ago. Have been on a 10/10 rush since then. Unbelievable!!! Feeling basically Top Gun alert, at ninja readiness, shaking slightly in anticipation. Very similar experience to having a damn good md-cap....from what I've been told :) . Do very long work shifts 16-17 hours and this seems unbelievable. Too feel this good at the conclusion of such a shift is total madness. I think the potential for abuse of this medication must be astronomical. I note it does apparently have some moderate dopaminergic effects and I can certainly feel this to some extent."

Maverick T.G October 4, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I had been taking Provigil for the past 4 yrs. Two years ago I was in a car accident and have been suffering back pain, which would not even subside with percoset. After reading some reviews I learned lower back pain is a side effect from Provigil. I was taking 400 milligrams daily into separate 200 milligram doses while working graveyard shift. Provigil has worked great however I just switched to Nuvigil today in hopes that my back pain will go away."

Rob2102 September 27, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I work night shift and have little kids which don't understand I'm tired or care so Nuvigil is a life saver. I use to be extremely tired in the morning and want to just lay on the couch because I was tired but no more of that since nuvigil. I have lost 15 lbs in 6 months. Not sure if it's because I'm more active or if it's Nuvigil. My house is the cleanest it's ever been. The first couple of days I took the medication I couldn't sleep all night but that is not a problem anymore so give it a week for body to adjust."

Night shift nurse (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

"started on nuvigil for symptoms of anxiety and excessive daytime sleepiness. Started taking nuvigil in November. My first symptoms was excessive salivation, my stomach would get upset, felt nauseated. I felt like I had a dry lump in my throat continuously. It affected my normal swallowing of saliva but I had no trouble swallowing water or food. Lost 33 lbs in 4-5 months. Then my mouth ,lips and tongue started burning. I stopped taking nuvigil in March. The mouth burning has subsided some.I still feel nauseated at times. Taking tums and omeprazol for my stomach symptoms.Last Dr. Visit my omeprazol was doubled also put on Zantac. Had An EGD. All came out normal. It's been 8 months and my nausea and burning mouth continue."

Nina52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

"The only thing that works for my depression. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, not covered by insurance."

davetrindle May 25, 2016

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I have Shift Work Disorder and SLE Lupus; this caused a Lupus flare up. "It woke up the monster!" Please have your doctors communicate amongst each other. Nuvigil is a stimulant."

SLYLT37 November 19, 2015

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "My Neuro prescribed these for the Holy Trinity: MS Fatigue + Uhtoff's Penomenon + Ten Hour Grave Shifts. She suggested Provigil or Nuvigil. And after learning I work 10-hour shifts; went for Nuvigil because it lasts longer. I totally had the "Beginner's High." I was a little manic; but staying up through my shift with only a bit of body tiredness. I have an easier time doing my complex, brain-consuming job (Network Engineer). I can fall asleep on schedule, and stay down for the most part. As the drug has settled in; I'm not manic; but I am more upbeat and responsive. Overall, It's working. I sometimes have yawning fits, but I don't feel sleepy. Costs were reduced to $10/mo through Insurance (UHC) + Teva's Savings Program."

MS Grave (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I had been on Modifinil for over a year when I noticed the effects reducing dramatically so my doctor switched me to Armodifinil and almost immediately after taking I felt very hostile and aggressive. I did not feel more refreshed or awake. I tried it for almost a week and the feeling of anger was still there so I quit taking it and am working with my doctors to find another solution."

depotguy26 July 27, 2015

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I am Software Engineer and working in It company. I am totally busy in my work day night to complete my projects. For every new project i need to spend extra time in my work, due to which i am not able to complete my sleep. It had bad impact on my work as it was difficult for me to stay active and fresh. Then i came to know about nuvigil from nuvigilshop site which helps me to become a normal person. It controls my excessive sleepiness and makes me energetic during work time. It helps to stay awake for around 40 hours. Now I am very happy that I can complete my every project with good concentration."

Daniel05 April 24, 2015

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "Taking Nuvigil about 8 years for hypersomnia and SWD. It has greatly improved my quality of life. I was experiencing the insomnia that could result from this medicine, but once I found out the best time in my schedule to take it, insomnia is rarely an issue. I am grateful my doctor talked me into taking this medication so long ago."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 20, 2015

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I tried Nuvigil and Provigil years ago for obstructive sleep apnea because the CPAP machine didn't work. The trails of both medicines increased my anxiety and depression, and made me have suicidal ideations. Guess it doesn't work for everybody."

cherishs December 23, 2014

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "My sleep doctor, I use a CPAP every night, gave me a sample to try as I work a "baby owl' shift from 5:00pm to 2:00 am. Best way to describe this medicine is a slow release caffeine pill. However, zero jitters and zero over active bladder. No buzz, no altered feelings of any kind. I can focus better with this in my system. If I can get a full six hours on my CPAP and take a 250mg pill an hour before my shift I can get my job done with an amazing amount of focus. My insurance was slow to cover, and even with them covering over half of the cost these little pills cost a bundle. Worth it for me, as I was spending close to the same amount per month on Red Bull and coffee."

Bus Driver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2014

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I've taken Provigil in the past for over 8 years due to severe IBDH & shift sleep disorder. When Nuvigil came out on market, my neurologist gave me samples to try. I found it AMAZING & much cleaner version, as I don't notice significant side effects. Most importantly - the abrupt feelings when it first "kicked in" in the mornings and sudden halt from wide awake to severe sleepiness. Less agitated and very clean even transition from its predecessor Provigil!"

jthole (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2014

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I've been on nuvigil 150mg for over a week now, I work rotating shifts at work five days a week. I have had several side effects that was not the best, however the benefit have outweighed the risk. I have noticed that I can actually stay awake and not have the overwhelming urge to sleep. Which to me is wonderful to able to funtion like a normal person again, I'm still tired though, but functioning, and at the end of the day that is all I can ask for!"

kristibarb, wv (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I have been taking Nuvigil for a week and every day I get headaches and my eyes are sensitive to light. Overall I love feeling back to normal and not tired all the time. I have tried cutting my pills in 1/2 and 1/4s to stop the side effects no luck."

Firefighter Dave (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "Shift work at plant. Medicine allows me to think at 2 am when my body is shutting down. This medicine is not magic. You will not have magical capabilities to learn and solve the worlds problems. But you may function somewhat normally as a person again. Do feel some euphoria an hour after taking. "

Tired John July 3, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "I am an industrial electrician. I work rotating 12 hours. After enough time my body got used to it and I was able to make it through the nights and not feel awful. Then I heard a commercial for Nuvigil. So I figured I would give it a try. This is not a miracle. This won't give you special powers and a super intelligence. What it has allowed me to do was still be able to think when I couldn't before. At 3 in the morning when a problem presents itself I need to be able to think through it. I don't feel an energy rush like with a cup of coffee. I feel like a normal person again. I'm able to not feel lethargic every single minute I'm awake."

Johnjr602 May 30, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "No negative effects and noticeable increase in brain function."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2013

Nuvigil (armodafinil): "This medicine does a great job! I thought "wow" I've finally found something to help me make it through the night without side effects. Almost. On my second prescription I developed scattered hives. My Dr. Said take an antihistamine and try again, since it hadn't done this before. I thought that might work until I got hives in more and more places each time I took it (I only take it when needed). When I developed the hives in very personal places that's when I decided I have no choice but to not take it. I don't know why it took so long to cause an allergic reaction. I wish it didn't because it really does work great. I'm hoping to find something else that does same thing that I'm not allergic to."

Disapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2013