User Reviews for Nuvigil

Narcolepsy 6.7
Summary of Nuvigil reviews 7.3 147 reviews

Reviews for Nuvigil

Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “I have been on nuvigil 150mg for almost 4 months. I was previously on Adderall 20mg twice a day for several years and Ritalin before that. Nuvigil does absolutely nothing for me. I can't stay awake, cannot function, very depressed. I would much rather go back on Adderall.”

Polly December 1, 2019

For Narcolepsy: “My son has been taking this medication as he has fallen asleep behind the wheel and is tired all the time (narcolepsy). This medication is working for him he has so much more energy and isn’t tired when he has it. If he doesn’t take it he sleeps all afternoon”

JDSumner and Stamps · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “I started on 150mg Nuvigil but I was still tired. Dr. added Adderall but it is still not helpful throughout the day. I still feel like taking a nap. Thinking about going up to 250mg when I see the doctor next week.”

Arturo Pedrego August 15, 2019

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “It has made my world a different place, I've been on Nuvigil for 3 years. My ability to think and perform my job have been restored and enhanced to a higher state of mind. I have read it is used by the military pilots for long missions without the aggression side effects of amphetamine based medication.”

artemina · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Narcolepsy: “I was prescribed this for Narcolepsy when I was 16 (am 23 now). My doctor wanted to prescribe to me Modafinil, its sister drug, but for reasons unknown to me (idk maybe insurance or laws. I really don't remember). I had an adverse reaction that sent me to the hospital. Almost went into cardiac arrest and probably would've had I not gone to the emergency room when I did. Uncontrollable shaking and heart palpitations (heart rate 160+).”

Sleepy December 8, 2018

For Narcolepsy: “Been telling Drs 20yrs about being excessively tired. Finally broke down bawling to my current Dr this year, she sent me for Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) and I failed test. Finally had my diagnosis. Dr put me on Ritalin LA 20mg, lost potency within 5 days, increased dose to 30mg, still didn't work, seen sleep specialist, he put me on nuvigil, took it couple days, did not help at all! In fact it made me feel like I was going through withdraw from suboxone I take and felt it made narcolepsy worse. I take suboxone because 10yrs ago I used pain pills to "give me energy", I got addicted to pain pills obviously. Been on suboxone 6yrs. I was hoping I finally have a diagnosis of narcolepsy I could get on right meds and get off suboxone. My Dr wanted to put me on ritalin 20mg LA for morning and ritalin 10mg for afternoon but insurance wouldn't cover it. Only 30mg as a whole. I honestly think the dose she wanted to put me on would have helped but the insurance knows best right? Makes me so mad!”

Bambinah · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2018

For Narcolepsy: “This medication takes time to get into and out of my system. The transitions are terrible for me. Lots of anxiety and scatterbrains. I am very emotional on this medication. When I am tired of the lump in my throat I quit taking it. When I can't stay awake and my job is at risk I try again. The end results are always the same. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, and can't quit crying. The first time I took it 2 months. The second time I took it 5 months. And now I have been on it 5 days and am calling it quits. It does not keep me awake. I get huge headaches. There is no reason to live for me while using this medication.”

Kidd · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 31, 2018

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I have taken nuvigil for having two jobs and it is a great help....no negative side effects...except for my wallet! I recently got a coupon, tried to use it and the price with my insurance ( not medicare, etc or public assist) was over $125.00 although coupon said first script free and refills as low as $5.00!!!! Not true!!!! Now have to go back to Dr. and get script for generic. Mom is right.....Nothing is free. This is poor business procedure.”

Lynne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2018

For Narcolepsy: “I have been on nuvigil for almost a year now, this has been the only stimulant to work for me. I have narcolepsy and ADHD. So adderall and it’s relative medicines actually make more more of a zombie, albeit a very focused zombie. Nuvigil does not cause my heart to race ( I also have mitral valve prolapse ) it does not negatively effect my anxiety. This medicine has been a life saver for me! It does effect my ability to feel hunger. I don’t get hungry until around 2 pm but honestly, this is a good thing bc when I eat I become very tired. This is due to the nature of Narcolepsy. We are low on orexin, so when we eat what little orexin we have gets ‘turned off’. Orexin is the chemical in the brain that helps regulate wake and sleep. Orexin on means awake, orexin off means asleep. Orexin is directly effected by food intake.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2017

For Narcolepsy: “I am 38 and I have been taking this medicine two weeks and I am having serious problem breathing and getting a deep breath in, my inhaler does not help. I have diarrhea and my face has broken out worse than it ever did when I was a teenager. I have also had random pounding, sharp, shooting headaches come out of no where.”

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

For Narcolepsy: “Diag early onset Parkinson's at 46yo. I was having off and on again sleep attacks in the afternoons. No amount of coffee can power you through one. This keeps me through the afternoon.”

Life Changing · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 8, 2017

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I work two full-time jobs in Information Technology on a high level at both jobs. I have to be razor sharp or the effects could be catastrophic. I have been using Nuvigil for almost 16 months. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADD and took Ritalin which helped but as I got older taking that was not realistic. Nuvigil has been a godsend. I am able to articulate my thoughts clearly, finish tasks at hand efficiently and timely, and also having ADD with Nuvigil it almost propels me in some weird microcosm of being smarter than 90% of the people around me. I am not sure how or why but that is my story and I gain nothing from this except hoping to help someone else who is lost in the woods ”

N3rd1975 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 28, 2017

For Narcolepsy: “I have been taking nuvigil since 2012 started on provigil built a tolerance against it in 2 months. I take 250 mg a day but I split the pill and take each half at specific times usually between 6-9 am the other at 3pm to 6pm (depends when I took the first one) seems to help me stay awake a little more that way. It lasts for about 1-2 hours on me with each half.”

Sytse · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2017

For Narcolepsy: “It was effective, but it made my hair fall out. When I told the doctor, his response was, "That's not a side effect." I did my own research - It IS a side effect. It is a serious side effect that the doctor's don't tell you about. I switched doctors and medication.”

Nunwithgun · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2017

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “I just started taking Nuvigil. Today is day 2. Before Nuvigil I have been suffering for the past 3 years or so with marked fatigue. First I decided I should do a sleep study. They discovered that I have sleep apnea and I stop breathing about 50 times an hour. I got the CPAP machine and used it every night for the past 3 months. It didn't make the difference I was hoping. So, I talked to my Dr again and since I have young children I didn't want a sleeping medication and so he prescribed Nuvigil. Its been a life changer. I have the energy I used to have when playing with the kids and taking them outside instead of laying on the couch everyday.”

Workaholic58 December 19, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I didn't get the best results from this medication. Does not last long. I have to take 3X recommend does to be productive throughout the day. Not what I expected.”

Rob2102 September 27, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I had been taking Provigil for the past 4 yrs. Two years ago I was in a car accident and have been suffering back pain, which would not even subside with percoset. After reading some reviews I learned lower back pain is a side effect from Provigil. I was taking 400 milligrams daily into separate 200 milligram doses while working graveyard shift. Provigil has worked great however I just switched to Nuvigil today in hopes that my back pain will go away.”

DoJo Starfox September 14, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “Works very well at keeping me awake. No euphoria like amphetamines, very few side effects in fact aside from a very mild headache, which aspirin can fix. It seems like all it does is remove my chronic fatigue.. without giving extra energy. Perfect in my opinion. Anxiety can be a problem, especially at the 250mg dose. If it is a problem, I would recommend breaking the 250mg in half and taking them several hours apart, which also helps with the late afternoon crash. If you have high blood pressure or heart problems, probably not a good idea to take it. Also, there is a generic.. not sure of the price difference.”

Sharra · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 30, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “My doctor seems to only identify with how it effects him, which he sometimes takes when going on a long trip. He says, It lasts for 8 to 12 hours. No on me 3 to 4 hours. I looked up what other narcoleptics said. They said they take 250 mg twice a day. That would be good, but who can afford it. My part is $300 for once a day. I have not experienced any side effects that I am aware of, but I am taking the next four days without any nuvigil to see if my sleep wake pattern gets better. My present problem may or may not be related to nuvil. I don't know. I wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Sometime I can go back to sleep after 3 or 4 hours, but sometimes I never do. So, I am functioning, poorly, on about 4 hours of sleep”

Night shift nurse · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2016

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I work night shift and have little kids which don't understand I'm tired or care so Nuvigil is a life saver. I use to be extremely tired in the morning and want to just lay on the couch because I was tired but no more of that since nuvigil. I have lost 15 lbs in 6 months. Not sure if it's because I'm more active or if it's Nuvigil. My house is the cleanest it's ever been. The first couple of days I took the medication I couldn't sleep all night but that is not a problem anymore so give it a week for body to adjust.”

Liz-G · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “I had nausea, trouble concentrating and had chest pains and pressure for 2 weeks after I stopped taking it. I was just as tired taking this medication.”

Postalred · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “I have severe sleep apnea and was put on a CPAP machine. I never felt like it did any good,was still tired as heck. Dr.put me on Nuvigil and it is great. Some days I am still tires but not like before.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “This medicine caused high prolactin”

davetrindle · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “I took 250mg each morning, and my whole personality was brighter, more gregarious, more talkative e, physically more capable.”

crazydude81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “Been on this RX since its release, prior to that Provigil. (I've also had 5 OSA corrective surgical operations that weren't mindblowingly successful for 4+ months of downtime & in-&-out of the hospital with complications for a month.). I take 500 mg/day in 2 doses split by 5 hours, each dose with 20 mg dexadrine. (Plus a 3rd 20 mg dose of dex) To be short, I couldn't have the energy to write this message let alone work or at times even drive. For me its all about the timing of the doses, took me years to find the RIGHT way to take this RX for ME. 250 didn't work, 2 different insurance companies approved 500. Be prepared to fight for approval, don't give up, I got used to hearing no until I followed all insurance steps for complex approval”