User Reviews for Nuvigil

Learn more about Nuvigil.

Obstructive Sleep Ap...ypopnea Syndrome 32 reviews 2 medications

8.5
Shift Work Sleep Disorder 28 reviews 2 medications

7.3
Narcolepsy 76 reviews 15 medications

6.9
Summary of Nuvigil reviews 136 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Nuvigil

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I work two full-time jobs in Information Technology on a high level at both jobs. I have to be razor sharp or the effects could be catastrophic. I have been using Nuvigil for almost 16 months. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADD and took Ritalin which helped but as I got older taking that was not realistic. Nuvigil has been a godsend. I am able to articulate my thoughts clearly, finish tasks at hand efficiently and timely, and also having ADD with Nuvigil it almost propels me in some weird microcosm of being smarter than 90% of the people around me. I am not sure how or why but that is my story and I gain nothing from this except hoping to help someone else who is lost in the woods "

Life Changing (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "I have been taking nuvigil since 2012 started on provigil built a tolerance against it in 2 months. I take 250 mg a day but I split the pill and take each half at specific times usually between 6-9 am the other at 3pm to 6pm (depends when I took the first one) seems to help me stay awake a little more that way. It lasts for about 1-2 hours on me with each half."

N3rd1975 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "It was effective, but it made my hair fall out. When I told the doctor, his response was, "That's not a side effect." I did my own research - It IS a side effect. It is a serious side effect that the doctor's don't tell you about. I switched doctors and medication."

Sytse (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "I just started taking Nuvigil. Today is day 2. Before Nuvigil I have been suffering for the past 3 years or so with marked fatigue. First I decided I should do a sleep study. They discovered that I have sleep apnea and I stop breathing about 50 times an hour. I got the CPAP machine and used it every night for the past 3 months. It didn't make the difference I was hoping. So, I talked to my Dr again and since I have young children I didn't want a sleeping medication and so he prescribed Nuvigil. Its been a life changer. I have the energy I used to have when playing with the kids and taking them outside instead of laying on the couch everyday."

Nunwithgun (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I didn't get the best results from this medication. Does not last long. I have to take 3X recommend does to be productive throughout the day. Not what I expected."

Workaholic58 December 19, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I had been taking Provigil for the past 4 yrs. Two years ago I was in a car accident and have been suffering back pain, which would not even subside with percoset. After reading some reviews I learned lower back pain is a side effect from Provigil. I was taking 400 milligrams daily into separate 200 milligram doses while working graveyard shift. Provigil has worked great however I just switched to Nuvigil today in hopes that my back pain will go away."

Rob2102 September 27, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "Works very well at keeping me awake. No euphoria like amphetamines, very few side effects in fact aside from a very mild headache, which aspirin can fix. It seems like all it does is remove my chronic fatigue.. without giving extra energy. Perfect in my opinion. Anxiety can be a problem, especially at the 250mg dose. If it is a problem, I would recommend breaking the 250mg in half and taking them several hours apart, which also helps with the late afternoon crash. If you have high blood pressure or heart problems, probably not a good idea to take it. Also, there is a generic.. not sure of the price difference."

DoJo Starfox September 14, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "My doctor seems to only identify with how it effects him, which he sometimes takes when going on a long trip. He says, It lasts for 8 to 12 hours. No on me 3 to 4 hours. I looked up what other narcoleptics said. They said they take 250 mg twice a day. That would be good, but who can afford it. My part is $300 for once a day. I have not experienced any side effects that I am aware of, but I am taking the next four days without any nuvigil to see if my sleep wake pattern gets better. My present problem may or may not be related to nuvil. I don't know. I wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Sometime I can go back to sleep after 3 or 4 hours, but sometimes I never do. So, I am functioning, poorly, on about 4 hours of sleep"

Sharra (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I work night shift and have little kids which don't understand I'm tired or care so Nuvigil is a life saver. I use to be extremely tired in the morning and want to just lay on the couch because I was tired but no more of that since nuvigil. I have lost 15 lbs in 6 months. Not sure if it's because I'm more active or if it's Nuvigil. My house is the cleanest it's ever been. The first couple of days I took the medication I couldn't sleep all night but that is not a problem anymore so give it a week for body to adjust."

Night shift nurse (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "I had nausea, trouble concentrating and had chest pains and pressure for 2 weeks after I stopped taking it. I was just as tired taking this medication."

Liz-G (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "I have severe sleep apnea and was put on a CPAP machine. I never felt like it did any good,was still tired as heck. Dr.put me on Nuvigil and it is great. Some days I am still tires but not like before."

Postalred (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "This medicine caused high prolactin"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "I took 250mg each morning, and my whole personality was brighter, more gregarious, more talkative e, physically more capable."

davetrindle (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "Been on this RX since its release, prior to that Provigil. (I've also had 5 OSA corrective surgical operations that weren't mindblowingly successful for 4+ months of downtime & in-&-out of the hospital with complications for a month.). I take 500 mg/day in 2 doses split by 5 hours, each dose with 20 mg dexadrine. (Plus a 3rd 20 mg dose of dex) To be short, I couldn't have the energy to write this message let alone work or at times even drive. For me its all about the timing of the doses, took me years to find the RIGHT way to take this RX for ME. 250 didn't work, 2 different insurance companies approved 500. Be prepared to fight for approval, don't give up, I got used to hearing no until I followed all insurance steps for complex approval"

crazydude81 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "Prescribed to help with feeling exhausted due to suspected sleep apnea. Having a sleep test later this month. In the meantime, Doctor felt Nuvigil may be of benefit. The drug had me bouncing off the walls for the first couple of days but I did feel better - alert and with more energy than I'd had in quite some time. I was very pleased but then, disappointingly after day four of being in the drug, I began to experience difficulty swallowing and my lips became numb. My throat then began to close and I was having difficulty breathing. My wife rushed me to the emergency room where I eventually passed out. I was pumped full of Benedryl and Prednizone until my breathing began to return to normal. I felt the drug was working until the reaction."

jayski45 April 27, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 5 years ago. I use a bilevel cpap every night. I am a 60 year old male. I have chronic and severe back pain also. Between the sleep apnea and pain meds I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day. After finally getting insurance coverage for Nuvigil 150mg I started it about 5 months ago. I take it everyday. The first day I took it I was up for 20 hours straight and felt better than I had in 15 years. This drug worked great. A couple of days ago something happened. All of a sudden I'm back to spending all day in bed and can't stay awake. I don't know what happened. Hopefully next week when I see my doctor I can find out. I hope I don't need a stronger dose already."

RDSMART April 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "amazinggggggg!!!!!!! packaging needs to seriously be changed though. with narcolepsy, i have horribly low energy in the morning and the last thing i need is to have to spend 10 minutes struggling to get a tablet out. i usually fall asleep again before i'm even able to take it. no side effects so far, fingers crossed."

Poooooooo March 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "Diagnosed with narcolepsy and had frequent daily cataplexy. Nothing else worked, prior to getting diagnosed, hours and hours of sleep mixed with coffee, energy drinks and abuse of workout stimulants. After adjusting to the jitters and slight nausea, I've never felt better. Every now and then I will need a small nap, but I am sleeping deeper and sleep walking much less. I went from several cataplexy a day to only three in the last month. Those three only happened because I hadn't gotten enough sleep that night. This drug works the best for me when I get more than 6 hours of sleep, ideally 7 or 8 hours though. I am very happy overall, but it is ridiculously expensive if you aren't on an insurance plan, like me (just switched jobs)."

KG414 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "Originally I tried provigil. Nuvigil wasn't available yet. Loved it at first but as my body adjusted in my ignorance, I got nervous. I stopped. I had to deal with it. About 12 years later I tried again. This time I read more and I asked lots of questions. I am a new person. I am so grateful for nuvigil!! What I've learned (I am not an MD) Start out with a low dose. Half pills are fine. (Do not exceed 250 mg unless dr prescribed). Your body may be adjusting not building tolerance for a year or 2. Take each week at a time Naps still necessary; My naps are only about 30 min instead of 2 hrs but very refreshing Take a day or 2 off every week or 2. Makes a huge difference! Awesome insurance helps a lot! $5 per 30"

Severe narcolepsy w/ cataplexy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Insomniac, usually controlled my melatonin and amitriptyline unless I accidentally fall asleep after dinner or later, but bf bedtime. If I do that, I'll be awake until the sun starts coming up. So, my sleep doc prescribed this so I would not take that accidental nap after dinner. No side effects, and I can't even drink coffee without getting jittery. All in all, 10/10 for me personally."

NJA (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I have Shift Work Disorder and SLE Lupus; this caused a Lupus flare up. "It woke up the monster!" Please have your doctors communicate amongst each other. Nuvigil is a stimulant."

SLYLT37 November 19, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "My Neuro prescribed these for the Holy Trinity: MS Fatigue + Uhtoff's Penomenon + Ten Hour Grave Shifts. She suggested Provigil or Nuvigil. And after learning I work 10-hour shifts; went for Nuvigil because it lasts longer. I totally had the "Beginner's High." I was a little manic; but staying up through my shift with only a bit of body tiredness. I have an easier time doing my complex, brain-consuming job (Network Engineer). I can fall asleep on schedule, and stay down for the most part. As the drug has settled in; I'm not manic; but I am more upbeat and responsive. Overall, It's working. I sometimes have yawning fits, but I don't feel sleepy. Costs were reduced to $10/mo through Insurance (UHC) + Teva's Savings Program."

MS Grave (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "I found myself sleeping all day against my will and it was depressing to be so unproductive. After I was accepted to vet school, I knew I needed to figure out why I was so tired all the time. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy without cataplexy. I immediately started Nuvigil in an attempt to get regulated before I started school. About a week in, I experienced anxiety, and a racing heart on a few different days. My symptoms soon subsided, and I found my quality of life drastically improved. I take it in the morning before class, and I was able to stay awake all day with very little problem. I still have good days and bad, but my worst day is still better than my life before it. I am so thankful for my doctor and Nuvigil."

Lindsey Lou August 16, 2015

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I had been on Modifinil for over a year when I noticed the effects reducing dramatically so my doctor switched me to Armodifinil and almost immediately after taking I felt very hostile and aggressive. I did not feel more refreshed or awake. I tried it for almost a week and the feeling of anger was still there so I quit taking it and am working with my doctors to find another solution."

depotguy26 July 27, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Narcolepsy "After being diagnosed at age 35, with narcolepsy and REM sleep behavior disorder my ENT put me on Nuvigil 150mg to help me stay awake during the day. I'll tell you what, it didn't do a darn thing. My kids actually said they thought it made me more tired. He then bumped it up to 250mg and I'd say it helped for an hour or so. It gave me horrible headaches, lock jaw and teeth grinding, pretty much no appetite, but the worst part of all had to be how bad it ALWAYS made my stomach hurt and how I felt like I was going to throw up most of the time. It definitely didn't help me and I'd still find myself falling asleep and needing a few naps each day. I also ended up losing 7 lbs in 3 weeks, which wasn't good for me since I'm already very thin."

Elle Sleepy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015