User Reviews for Modafinil

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 6.5
Summary of Modafinil reviews 7.3 369 reviews

Reviews for Modafinil

DannyDice June 8, 2020

For ADHD: “As a kid I was on Ritalin, without it I would have flunked. Once I reached my mid 20's the famed ADHD depression kicked in and I spent 10 years on anti-depressants. Work wise I "grew out" of my concentration problems, BUT it came back recently and I lost all focus. All I did at work was day dream for months. I code all day, and no this is not a magic pill to motivate you, you don't feel anything. Nothing at all..... BUT, I am sitting down at my desk and I'm typing. I still get distracted with the office chat and I don't get the unrelenting hyper focus others describe, but they helping. My mood is more level, dopamine is dopamine, my mood is neither up or down, or numb. I feel balanced but still like myself. I gave it 7 stars because my appetite vanishes and I get a dry mouth. When the effects subside I grow very hungry very quickly.”

Martin · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2020

For ADHD: “For those whose insurance won’t cover Modafinil: Try its prodrug Adrafinil. It’s metabolized into Modafinil in the liver, way cheaper (like $30 a month), classified as a food supplement in the US and unregulated in most countries. I (m, 38) have used both, Modafinil and Adrafinil for my ADD non hyperactive with considerable success. They seem to be interchangeable, but given a choice, I would prefer Modafinil as for me it seems to act faster and puts less of a strain on the liver. I am able to function well on it and it helps me overcome my task initiation blocks. I can stick to a boring task and get it done. It also helps improve my mood. Correct dosage is really important and I did develop tolerance after prolonged use. Taking a break from it for a few days every now and then helped with that. What I don’t like is that it makes my urine smell weird.”

Ian · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For ADHD: “I think it helped with staying awake, thought that might have been placebo. Didn't do anything for ADHD-related symptoms.”

Jon · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 28, 2020

For Fatigue: “Modafinil worked great for me, at first, to be alert and increase productivity, until I was out of medication and my fatigue hit me like a freight train stopping all productivity. The headaches were avoided when I stayed hydrated and only took in the first half of the day. It controlled my appetite and even help with weight loss and management. It sounds pretty good at first but after a few months I realized I was creating a bigger problem than I had before. Please do yourself a favor and only take if and as prescribed by your doctor and well monitored. There are a lot of miracle drugs and nootropics available out there if you search hard enough. This is not all that hard to come by and can have more risk and long term negative effects than benefits, if not taken properly. Please be careful and don’t make problems worse for yourself or others.”

Waters · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2020

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: “Provigil was horrible for me, it did not work, I am now on Concerta for over two years and am not planning to move away from it”

Roro April 6, 2020

For ADHD: “For ADHD and narcolepsy. I took 300 MG a day for several months, hoping some improvement, but nothing, any difference. Even not side effects! Anything”

Johnny March 11, 2020

For Depression: “Have been taking modafinil now for a month to help my depression and just progressed from a starting dose of 100 mg/d to 200mg. So far I have found it to be very good. I’m 65 and for the past couple of years I had been very apathetic about whether or not I went to work. Small tasks in life, to say nothing of some if the less pleasurable tasks at work, seemed overwhelming, so I would simply not do then, but not anymore. Interactions with superiors are a lot smoother. My psychiatrist initially prescribed modafinil a a drug to help this stop using cocaine, and it is working. When I saw him the other I said, where has this medicine been all my life? So far all effects seem positive. At least for me. Used online coupons to get a month’s supply for ~$25. However prices vary widely eve. With coupons by pharmacy, from the price I pay to several hundred dollars a month. Otherwise my insurance wouldn’t cover it, even if my psychiatrist had listed an “on-label” need for it”

Frustrated · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

For Fatigue: “I had been taking Provigil for about 5 yrs., then the insurance co. would not pay for it any longer as it is very expensive. So, I started to take it in generic form, which is Modafinal. It did not work as well, but it was better than nothing. I continued to take the Modafinil for a couple of years and then my pharmacy switched mfgs. to Aurobindo. There was a definite difference in side effects with this company's product. It did not work, but seemed to have an opposite effect. Also, it made me feel fuzzy headed, flu like symptoms, headache, dizzy, all kinds of bad. I called my insurance co. and after speaking to 3 people I had Provigil approved. I am now free of all the bad side effects of Aurobindo Modafinil. My advice, get Provigil and don't take no for an answer.”

Byron February 26, 2020

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: “Taken Provigil for about 5 or more years and it is not effective anymore”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

For Depression: “After 3 months I quit taking Zoloft for depression after taking Modafinil. It gives me energy from chronic fatigue also. I'm a teacher and I also notice I'm much more alert and focused while taking it. I have mild bipolar 1 also and take Seroquel and Lamictal also. I can't detect any side effects unless I have to take it with my asthma inhaler as then it can cause shakiness, nervousness, sleeplessness, etc. Otherwise it's a great product! I found Zoloft to "numb" me to a degree--I didn't feel sad but I didn't feel happy either. Kind of desensitized.”

LazzzyBoy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: “This med has been very helpful for my excessive daytime sleepiness (Idiopathic Hypersomnia). Probably saved me from ending my career as a therapist altogether, although I’m limited to seeing half the usual number of clients. First 100 mg dose at 8 am and I’m good to go for about 4 hours—and quite talkative and energetic. By noon or 1 I’m getting quite tired and, even though I take my afternoon dose of 100 mg, the rest of the day I typically feel quite tense and often irritable. Tight knot in upper back. Seeing clients is a real challenge. My life remains pretty limited by my idiopathic hypersomnia but I’m so relieved to at least be able to work enough to support my family. Losing that capacity altogether would have been devastating, so I’m very grateful for Provigil.”

Bullfrog · Taken for 10 years or more February 14, 2020

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Please be very very careful taking this. My life is now in turmoil because of my addiction to this medication. As I write I’m searching the internet to find a supplier. I’m terrified of running out in 3 days. There is an underground consensus on the physical and psychological withdrawals. The best I can do is share my experience with others to hopefully avoid terrible heartache in your life, I’ve already messed mine up. Please try and get by without this medication it does work and works very very good, hence my addiction. But again I want to help people before they get into the situation I’m in. I know many others as well that struggle with this. Please be careful if you decide to take this.”

NYer · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “I've been taking modafinil for two weeks now, 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the afternoon. I was so wanting this to be the miracle I was waiting for. I see absolutely no improved energy. I have more headaches and same bad fatigue. I hope there's something else I can try...”

Lucy Carsmoker · Taken for 10 years or more February 8, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “I have been taking 400 to 600mg of modifinil, each day for 20 years, due to narcolepsy, and excessive daytime sleepiness. The Only side effect I have ever noticed, was a decrease in falling asleep during the day. Which is exactly what I need. It took nearly 20 years to get diagnosed with this sleep deprivation. I had many encounters with the law, and driving both before and after being diagnosed. However far less, after. I still have to have Ritalin, or some amphetamine, in the event, the current dose of 400mg a day wears off. Ritalin helps me on a shorter duration, such as in the evening, when an hour or two of wakefulness is needed, rather than the 12 hours typically provided to me by provigil/modifinil. Modifinil is a life saver for me. I was a danger to myself and others, without it. However, $5, 249 for 180 pills, a 90 day supply, is ridiculous.My fixed S. S. I is less than$3000 for 90 days.Thank God for Hip insurance in Indiana.”

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

For Depression: “I take modafinil on and off for OCD & Depression and it works. I have high blood pressure that is treated with meds and this doesn't seem to bother it too much. It messes with my anxiety but not enough to stop using it. If you want to get a job done then this is for you.”

Em · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

For Fatigue: “This medication modafinil was AWFUL. I was prescribed 100mg to take daily for chronic fatigue syndrome. Here's what happened: I felt like my brain completely shut off. ADD to the max... unable to focus, lingering headache turned full blown migraine, apathetic. If anything, I felt more exhausted, it messed with my vision and created so much pressure behind my eyes that I had a hard time focusing in on anything. It made my brain feel silent... all thoughts were muted, like I was only a hollow vessel. This is not me; my brain normally works a million miles per hour, I can multitask, I can focus... I'm just exhausted and that's why this was prescribed. I would not recommend this medication. I wish it would've helped.”

Harley P · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

For Fatigue: “I was prescribed 100mg for Bipolar fatigue. I was hopeful after seeing all the reviews and some comparing it to the "limitless" drug (not that I believed that) but I was let down. I took it the first day with no food..about an hour laterI felt jittery, just uncomfortable and later in the day that anxious feeling in my chest for a little while. Felt just as tired as usual. Waited a couple days and tried half a pill and felt nothing. So the next day tried a whole one again with food and hated the feeling again. Jittery, uncomfortable I just wanted it to get out of my system.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

For Fatigue: “There is 4 or 6 hours of jitters, then after that it loses any sort of effectiveness and I feels like I'm ready to go to sleep. Armodafinil, which is a stronger version of that at 150 mgs. works better.”

Buster · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “I have been on modafinil for about 15 years now. I took 200mg x2 a day while working, and try only to take one a day now that retired (because it doesn't make much difference). The last five years I have found it hardly works for me anymore. I use my CPAP regularly, and faithful with checkups. It seems I can't sit to read or watch TV without falling asleep. If I have a busy day, on the go all day, I am constantly yawning and feel totally exhausted when I get home. This is really annoying for me because I used to be full of energy, and now feel as if I have used my life supply all up!!”

Kevin · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “I was prescribed modafinil after my 20mg of adderall wasn’t doing its job. I had high expectations going in, and boy was I wrong. It did absolutely NOTHING to help my extreme fatigue. Actually, all it did was give me terrible side effects, such as; stomach pains, feeling “out of it”, diarrhea, headaches, smelly urine, and reflux. I’m sure it will work for some, but it most certainly did not work for me.”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: “I have narcolepsy with cataplexy. Adderall, Ritalin, etc. did nothing for me. I’ve only been taking this for a short amount of time but unlike adderall or ritalin this not only physically keeps me awake but I don’t feel the horrible fatigue I usually do. It keeps me awake and feeling good while also easing any nervousness I have. I feel very calm while also being energized.:)”

Fox · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2019

For Fatigue: “I've been using Modafinil for a while now, mostly in periods where I have a lot of work to do and can't afford enough sleep, having a young son additionally. I've experienced noticeable less fatigue and better concentration, but also somehow it seems to making social interactions less stressful (I must say I'm not having any kind of social anxiety, just being maybe a shy person). Absolutely no side effects noticed, it starts working after 2 to 3 hours and lasting for about 8 to 12 for 200mg dose.”

Anonymous December 11, 2019

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “Modafinil saved my life! I have had hypersomnolence my entire life. I could easily sleep 4 days straight and wake up confused, dehydration, and guilty for missing my children's school performances, graduations, holidays, vacations etc. @ almost 37 y/o I was finally diagnosed and prescribed modafinil. From day one I woke up @ 5am. I cleaned my house, got my hair and nails done, took my kids to and from school, scheduled appts that I should've schedule months ago, cooked dinner, and had a wonderful outlook. I went to sleep around 10pm. The next day I woke up @ 5am.and stay awake, happy and productive all day! This has continued from day one!!!!! This med is magic for me. I'm so grateful. My only wish is that I had been dx'd 30 years ago!”

Willie · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: “Does not work for me at all. It gave me bad head aches and I still slept all the time.”

Daddysgurl9717 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

“Modafinil is NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! I was prescribed 100mg of Provigil brand and it worked great the first few days , but seemed to become less effective at keeping me awake after that. I went back to the Dr. and my dosage was increased to 2x daily. The 2nd morning of taking the increased dosage I awoke with a fever, stiff neck, excruciating headache, but went to work anyway. As the day progressed my fever got higher, my legs and feet tripled in size, and I had the worst rash I have ever seen on my legs. This medicine caused vasculitis in my legs and they also believed it brought on DIL ( drug induced lupus ). They said it was a severe allergic reaction, but with this medicine, it can take 1 to 5 weeks for an allergic reaction to occur. It is also very expensive.”