User Reviews for Modafinil systemic

Hypersomnia
6.8

Summary of Modafinil reviews 7.8 310 reviews

Reviews for Modafinil

For Narcolepsy: "My experience with modafinil has varied widely based on the manufacturer. Mylan generic is the only one that will work even a little bit for me, but it’s getting harder and harder to find. It cuts through that swimming narcoleptic feeling and allows me to be awake enough to function reasonably well. I felt a bit “driven” when I first started on it, but now I take quite a big dose with no side effects except possibly dry mouth. Other manufacturers’ products, especially Alembic’s, do nothing for me—meaning, I constantly feel like I’m trying to walk through a swimming pool the whole time I’m “awake.” In order to get a more consistent product at the pharmacy, I’m trying to get switched over to name-brand Provigil. I can’t really afford that, but I really can’t afford not to function."

theluckyone (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2018

For ADHD: "Not effective and gave me headaches and sulfur-odor urine."

ADHDPT (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

For Fatigue: "I was hoping to feel more energetic but I don’t. I use a CPAP, sleep well and 2 hours after I wake up, I’m lethargic all day long."

tiredalways (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

For Hypersomnia: "I've taken this for little over 2 years, and its been a great help to me. I take 200mg daily. Generally 100mg at noon and 100mg at 5pm - with two cups of coffee in the morning. When I wake up really exhausted I might need a pill in the morning... and when I have a late night, or an extra exhausting day I'll take another pill. I do wish this stuff lasted longer for me, one pill a day would be nice. But this works for me, and at least my Dr is awesome enough to let me take how much I feel I need, and to take it when I want. (I tried a bigger dose in the morning but it still wears off just as quick- which is why I break up my daily dose). Good luck to others trying to figure this out!"

Amandalyn (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Works great when I don't take it everyday. I can't get the VA to prescribe it for me even though it's on the formulary and I've been diagnosed with obstructed sleep disorder. "

The rock November 13, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "Difficult getting prescription. I would wake up and take a 200mg dose and fall right back asleep. If awake, it would help me stay awake through the day. I still need my other prescription medications. Not a substitute for sleep. I do not find: cognitive enhancement, increased awareness/productivity, or mood improvement. Must take early since it is more difficult to get to sleep. Try not to take it daily, but only when need to be functional at work. No impairment with: driving, jitters or manic symptoms. Unlike amphetamines. I feel the efficacy of Modafinil is hyped. Needed to appeal to health plan: documentation from my doctor, letter from my employer, and a letter from myself. The letter from my doctor is what got my health plan to accept my appeal. Given the cost and coverage difficulty, this drug is of minor benefit for me."

Gaston (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

For Fatigue: "I heard so much about the drug modafinil,that it is used by students to improve alertness, understanding, endurance and blah blah blah all over the net. But it ruins up your comprehension...Period! You might end up munching too much text, but you understand ZERO (though while reading you might FEEL that you are GETTING everything you are reading, but believe me, it's just a FEELING) and retain a big fat ZERO in your brain. At the end of the day, if asked 10 questions you won't even remember whether you read it actually! It ruins your studying BIG TIME! I have been experimenting myself with modafinil for a very long time, and it's a NO GO for me and I wonder it will do any different than me to any other person in the world too. It has FAILED me big time. Also not to forget the respiratory flu like illnesses you will experience while on this medication. If at all, it's just helpful for no brainer activities that don't involve intellect. DON'T take this with a PINCH OF SALT!"

Ephialtis (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2018

For Depression: "I started taking Provigil for major depression. I cannot take SSRI's so the doctor put me on 450 mg of Wellbutrin. When I took my first Provigil, I was so tired and could not think well. It was tired like one might feel if they had taken a huge overdose of Benadryl. Not a good tired at all. I do not feel like doing anything. I am also diagnosed with anhedonia and PTSD. The main idea I want to get across is that on the day I took the Provigil and felt so horrible about twelve hours later I had a two-hour window of feeling "normal" I did not feel depressed at all and I actually wanted to play solitaire. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this was as my natural state is being in so deep a depression it is hard to make it from one moment to the next. I want so badly to feel like I did in that two-hour window and I want to know if it was the Provigil that caused it. I also wonder If I should quit taking Wellbutrin because maybe together it is just too much."

bluebird October 16, 2018

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Did not keep me from falling asleep at work at all"

Aglet (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

For Fatigue: "I purchased a prescription for this drug online strictly as a substitute for adderall . I was taking Adderall to help with my excessive tiredness and wanted to try something safer and less addictive. I am pleasantly surprised with Modafinil. I can take one 200 mg pill in the morning before work, and I feel the effects long after I get home. I can feel it start working right away. I get a little head buzz, my eyes seem to open a little bit more, and I’m generally happier to be awake and starting the day. No crash or comedown. Sleep can be very tough If this drug is taken too late in the day. Also, I do get pretty bad dry mouth while taking Modafinil. Make sure you have water around 24/7. Overall, I am satisfied for what this drug does for me and would recommend to anyone looking for a drug to help them stay awake and alert all day, with way less side effects than Adderall and much less habit-forming."

Danigee92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For ADHD: "Diagnosed PTSD depression and anxiety over 25 years ago. I've been on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds but never felt even 75% better. Tried Modafinil - great. Out of bed, no anxiety or very little. Now doctor thinks I have ADD so was prescribed Adderall. I hate it. I can't tell how well it's working because of having to cope with the anxiety and crashes it causes. Stopped Adderall and tried modafinil again and feel so much better. I don't know exactly what my condition is beyond PTSD. But modafinil has been a life saver. The cost which insurance won't cover Is too high and you do build up a tolerance to it. You have to stop sometimes to clear your system. If I take a high does it doesnt work, or I feel terrible. I take only 50mg at a time-lasts about 4 hours right now..cuts the cost down Never had withdrawals just some sleepiness. Better Compared to other drugs and the horrible side effects and addiction potential."

Ccr September 17, 2018

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "If you’re looking at “smart drugs,” this review won’t help. Modafinil gives me relief after decades of exhaustion from complex sleep apnea. I use CPAP, but the struggle is real and 200mg modafinil 1x/day makes waking up SO much easier. I have to be strategic about when I take it because it does wear off. Anxiety does not appear to be worse than usual when on this dose, maybe bc I feel more in control. For instance, I can easily decide what needs to be done next and it actually seems doable (poor sleep=reduced cognitive function; often I can't quite pin down the best next step & when I can it seems disproportionately difficult). It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement. Relatives who didn't know I was taking it have noted an increase in my energy and focus. The dr. watches my blood pressure while I’m on it but it’s also easier to make better food & drink choices when I’m not about to fall asleep at any moment & it’s been fine."

Sleepy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Was prescribed Modafinil for my fatigue, concentration issues and memory issues. I started taking 100 mg the first 2 weeks. Then I Increased to 200 mg. I feel no difference at all. I am just as tired etc as I am without it. I drink enough. I eat well. I'm not sleep deprived. It seems like it works well for many people. Not for me."

Notmah Reilneim (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For ADHD: "Wow is all I can say. I asked my doctor about Modafinil for my excessive daytime sleepiness and hypersomnia. She mentioned it also might be helpful for my ADHD. I am also prescribed Adzenys (amphetamine) which is great for the cognitive and emotional dysregulation aspects of ADHD, but Modafinil handles other symptoms: overwhelmed mood that results in low energy, anxiety around task initiation, and of course excessive daytime sleepiness. This should be approved for ADHD. And no crash when it wears off!"

Catdad (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2018

For Depression: "I got just this and tried it today 200mg and its wonderfully working in 1st day. It's good for depression and for over sleep and laziness. I feel energetic"

Arch (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

For Depression: "A life-changer. I have treatment resistant depression and have been making the circuit of meds all my life. My depression is characterized by fatigue and lack of motivation. If I had found modafinil when I was younger, my life would have been completely different. But I am grateful I found it now. Along with my Lexapro, it’s exactly what I’ve needed."

DepressedInPortland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "I have narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea and Modafinil works wonderfully for me. It gave me my life back"

Bonnie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I love this stuff it keeps me alert and awake when I take it and has one major benefit. I always suffer from heart palpitations constantly all day long. My cardiologist ran every test he could and said my heart is perfectly healthy and that my palpitations are probably genetic since my father has them as well. When I take Modafinil my palpitations come to a stop, I will get about 6 hours palpitation free then they slowly come back as the meds ware off. I haven't checked with the cardiologist to see if he knows why this happens but it sure is nice to not feel my heart jumping every few minutes."

templeofdooom (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2018

For Hypersomnia: "I get body itching every time I take it, can anyone suggest if is ok to have it with anti allergy drugs? "

lee June 26, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "This drug has absolutely zero effect on me. I've taken doses from 50mg up to 400 mg and I don't feel anything. I can take it and go to sleep immediately. For me, this is basically a sugar pill. I wish I had the great experiences others report, but I seem to be a total non-responder."

Sleepy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "I’ve tried everything in the books, still on a desperate, [feels like] never ending search to find something that keeps me awake and functional for a day. I’ve been on Dexedrine for the past 5 years, and it’s by far my favourite, no side effects, prevents my cateplexy from occurring, however after a certain amount of time (I would say a year) I have to switch off of it for a few months because my body becomes used to it. Ritalin makes my heart go nuts + anxiety. Modafinil, I’ve been on it for four days and I hate it, I am so exhausted, doesn’t help at all with sleepiness, and it’s giving me INSANE mood swings. I’m a pretty happy, positive person, however this medication gives me bad anxiety, including an intense panic attack last night, makes me want to cry at everything, also feeling depressed. It’s like PMS times a million! Pay attention to your moods if you are trying it out. Good luck with all your narcoleptic journeys, one day we will feel awake!"

JackieZzzz May 9, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "I have had very little side effect on this medication and it helps a lot. There is stronger drugs out there but I cannot stand their side effects. So this is good for me and maybe others that dislike the side effects of other medications."

James (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2018

For Depression: "They should use it more"

nick (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018

For Depression: "Within days of taking provigil with another antidepressant I was feeling so much better. I was starting a new job and really needed to be on top of things, not sad and teary eyed. It gave me focus, energy and a feeling of wellbeing, finally! Unfortunately my current insurance will not ok it for treatment of depression as that was not what it was originally used for. Very disappointing because it worked so well for so many years."

Connie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2018

For ADHD: "This is an untapped gem for people with ADHD. Yes I take it off label (particularly armodafinil) but it certainly works. Yes you might not feel as energetic as you do if you take adderall. But if you are looking for a change or just a break or every other week break from adderall to allow your poor brain and central nervous system some rest, this is for you."

Kt (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2018