User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Fatigue 27 reviews 0 medications

7.1
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 30 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Modafinil reviews 256 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Modafinil

For ADHD: "I had been on Concerta in high school for questionable ADHD diagnosis, and it had a VERY minimal benefit. So minimal that after 2 school years it was determined my problem was probably more attributable to being "smarter than your average bear" and I just was not being challenged in my non-honours and non-dual credit classes. Made it through Uni and my doctorate degrees OK by overloading my schedule and surviving on coffee and caffeine tabs, taking 18 hr semesters instead of the rec'd 12-15 hrs. Fast forward to a few yrs later, I have been on Adderall for about 4 mo, titrating to the perfect dose of 2×5mg at 8am & 5mg at noon. Was switched to modafinil B/C my anorexia nervosa and I can't wake up, get out of bed, finish reading an email. Hate it!"

MiriArley (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I've severe ADD, in Romania ADHD was recognised for adults only a couple of years ago, Ritalin like meds aren't legal for adults, only Strattera and I need to take my parents to testify I'd had symptoms since my childhood - impossible. As I also used to fight not to fall asleep during the day, e.g. tramways, my family doctor wrote a prescription Modafinil 100mg -I couldn't afford to buy more, it was ~E100, now ~E20. Tried one pill in my free days - had no real effect. Later I found a bigger dose had a great effect on my ADD. Dosage matters. Huge help for depression from not being able to handle your life & for related pb. I'm 42 - quality of life & being able to have things done matters more than some side effects (headaches used to be just at first)"

CarmenCL July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medicine really works for depression. It helps me get stuff done and not want to sleep all of the time. Taken with coffee it is a lot stronger. I give this a 9 on a scale of 1-10."

Ambs82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypersomnia: "Initially, this medication worked well. It gave me energy and focus, and I felt like I was finally awake. However, after using it for a week, I started to notice weakness in my legs. As I continued taking it, the nervous system issues worsened, to the point where I had Reynaud's syndrome and tingling in my arms, legs, and throat. It also heightened my anxiety. I finally switched to Ritalin, and though it doesn't give me the same level of focus, I no longer have any of the negative side effects."

Becca295 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fatigue: "Was prescribed Provigil in 2005 for MS fatigue, and Fibromyalgia fatigue and brain fog. Have always used the brand name. I take 200mg two times a day. This gives me 8 good hours of function. Recently switched to Generic. Cannot even compare to the brand name. Too bad the price is out of this world for such a wonder drug. It truly is a blessing! But who on earth can afford it!??"

TheJayeJaye June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fatigue: "This is the best medicine for energy that I have ever taken! I get 6-8 hours of sleep when I sleep. Then I get up and take my morning provigal and I can finally concentrate on work for at least 2 hours at a time.. I have ADD/ and depression it helps with both. This medicine is the best :)"

CoffeeGirl82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "It is great and all for giving you laser focus, however after the drug wears off from my system I notice that I get a little bit of a crash. I get depressive symptoms that's why I don't take it anymore."

B_1 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypersomnia: "I have EDS also Epilepsy. Actually thought for years the EDS symptoms were caused by my antiseizure meds since they can make you tired. It was something that I just accepted so I really didn't have much of a life. Anyways, I started on Modafinil about 2 weeks ago. 100mg when I wake up at 7:45am to go to work. I was finding that it helped, but at about 11-11:30am, I was back to how I normally am. I just saw my dr and I am now to take 100mg three times a day. Today was my first day on my new dose. 1st dose was at 8am, 2nd at noon. Had 2 cups of coffee. By 4pm, I was feeling drowsy, yawning, eyes heavy. Feeling like I needed to nap. *Long story short: it works, but short-acting. 3-4 hours. I wish they made an Extended Release version.*"

Nicky1983 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "So far, so good!!"

GreysMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Modafinil did not work for me at all. If you want to try it look for coupons online the cost was $800.00 and I got it for $94.00."

50 Shades of fatigue April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Hello, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy when I was 12 years old but it was discovered during a sleep study in 2010 out at hospital in denver colorado. I was told I had probably had the disorder my whole life. I am 18 years old now and struggle with this disorder everyday. Provigil has helped quite a bit but does have some cons. The lack of appetite will happen anytime you go off the medicine for even a period of 4 days then go back on it. I also have built up a tolerance to the 200mg so it has started to wear off about 4 hours after taking it and is a very hard medicine to get the dosage upped on. Insurance co will fight you the whole way. Also lost a substantial amount of weight when I first started the med."

Wyatt Shaw (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Hi, I have taken this medicine for a year. I have found that it works, but it takes a lot of work (if that makes any sense.) I I am on 400mg a day for narcolepsy. I have found with this medicine if I take it and then eat, almost no effect, if I eat wait about an hour, take the pill then that's fine. If I don't drink a lot of water then it doesn't matter, because it doesn't work. For a person that always wants to sleep, scheduling this little pill twice a day is almost not worth it."

Ketura (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have another comment because this drug is so expensive. My insurance required preauthorization, but after a week, they allowed it and it cost me only $8/month. If it was not allowed by insurance I couldn't have afforded it because it is about $100 from the local compounding pharmacy that also seeks bargains for their customers. That's too much for me. This drug has been around for a long time, there's no sense it delaying medical care like this. So how about that? Automatic preauthorization should be just as dangerous and just as denounced. For CFS this drug can be life or death for people. I wish it wasn't an allergy for me though. :("

HanselGretel (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy: "I've been taken for 2 years for excessive day time sleepiness and suspected narcolepsy. It's changed my life, I'm a single mom, in full time uni, working two jobs, my days are long and exhausting but I'm reaching heights unimaginable before. Just a few weeks from my 2nd degree!! I've experienced few effects, it's hard on my stomach, curbs appetite & sometimes jittery & Babbling. Also having considerably more migraines, but my lifestyle is hectic and I'm sure it doesn't help. Positives far outweigh...thanks to provigil I now have a normal life, with a steady awakeness & I'm alert with insane durations of concentration. I'm so grateful, I'm scoring it 10/10, something I rarely do! Also, I'm lucky to get it for free on Irish medical card system"

Lolabee March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am currently taking Venlafaxine 225, Risperidone .50 and Buspirone 7.5 for OCD, Depression, and Social Anxiety Disorder. After experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness, my doctor prescribed Modafinil 300. Not only has it CURED any notion of sleepiness during the day, but it has augmented my other medications 2-fold! I don't know what it would or would not do as a monotherepy, but it has helped tremendously and I am now asymptomatic. Additionally, it has increased my cognitive function - directly or indirectly - such that I scored 12 points higher than previous on a standardized IQ test. I am now a member of Mensa. These are anecdotal, subjective observations to be sure, but I am convinced of its efficacy for multiple issues."

The Pale King (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "This medicine is literally a life changer. For so long I took adderall to get me through the day and to sustain focus during college courses. Adderall gave me severe anxiety and depression and I thought I had lost all hope seeing as that is "the best" drug for ADD... WRONG! Modafinil gives you the same level of focus without ANY side effects... no anxiety, no depression, no euphoria (which is great because adderall is very addictive) and minimal weight loss. It has improved my life to the point that my friends and family members have been commenting on how great I sound. I just wanted to share my experience (never have before, but I felt compelled to because this is an emotional topic for me) in case you're nervous about giving it a shot."

There is Hope (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Highly rate this medicine. It's not an anti-depressant but with depression comes a lot of sleepiness which this is great for. Also the AD's often cause sleepiness. Modafinil does what it says it does. It keeps you awake/alert and combats AD induced fatigue/tiredness. I'd question if it makes you 'smarter'. For me (83kg, male, 27 YO) at 100mg it is a mild keep me awake. At 150 it's perfect. At 200mg it's stimulating, alerting and induces mild hypomania (Which is okay but I feel slightly too 'buzzed' at 200mg). No bothersome side effects experienced other than mild hypomania which is sometimes pleasant and not too alarming. NOTE - I am prone to anxiety but this did not increase anxiety levels for me. Do not take 8 hrs b4 planning on sleeping."

Ash10105 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I started taking this for adhd when I realized that adderall wasn't cutting it anymore. Adderall works for about a year and then starts to become ineffective unless you keep upping your dose. After a year and a half I started searching for alternatives and came across this MIRACLE. It is not prescribed for adhd in the united states so insurance will not cover it for the most part. I have to order it overseas (it is technically illegal to do so in the US but customs only cares about abusive drugs). I really hope some researchers test armodafinil and modafinil for adhd and depression. It has done a lot for me. I highly recommend it."

kat kat February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: "I dont even know where to start.... This Med is heaven sent. I had trouble staying awake during the day. I couldn't sit down for 20 minutes without dozing off and snoring like a chainsaw. Going to the movies was a waste of time and money. I was hesitant about taking this med as with any other meds but I finally took the plunge after 1.5 years of online research and so glad I did. I now stay awake all day without falling asleep everywhere I go. If I could describe how I feel on this I would compare it to a time I was 13 years old wanting to go out and play street ball with my friends where they are all there waiting for me to come out. I was anxious but not in a negative way more like a kid waiting for xmas."

Pixi Stix January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Mine is covered by medicare part d through bc/bs rx prem for $2.00 for 60 pills. Fair results."

Sean515 December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Excellent drug I have been taking it now 1.5 years. Before I was taking Adderall 30mg ER for my Traumatic Brain Injury from auto accident 2007. From the accident I went into a coma and suffered head injuries to the Frontol Lobe. Recently I stopped the Adderall and feel much calmer and happy without the side effects of Adderall. Now I am just taking Modafinal 200 mg. I gained about 8lbs in the first three weeks to a stable weight which is OK but my brain is much clearer. I'm fortunate I don't have to pay for Modafinal as I'm totally disabled and have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome due to Opioids. I have not been taking them for 25 years due to work related injuries from a Government Law Enforcement Job. The CFS is opioid induced so my WC Doctor writes it for that.."

K...Wood December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Have taken both Nuvigil 250-375 and Provigil 200-300 (1 to 1.5 tabs of each) They are wonderful for both memory and Attention (don't have Hyperactive/Impulsive criteria); Not amphetamines, I have stopped suddenly with no withdrawal whatsoever; Schedule 4 not 2--Dont have to see Dr every month. No side effects at all for me"

Peter50 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For : "Modafinil changed my life. I didn't know what genuine contentment was before I went on it. Currently I am taking Abilify and Modafinil together, and I appreciate my life in a whole new way. I feel a sense of control in that I don't have to worry about depression or hypomania impairing my concentration. Every once in a while I get sad, but my periods of sadness seem much more normal and bearable in that they only last a few days (as opposed to weeks or months). I feel happy most of the time, but it's not overwhelming the way my hypomania used to be. Last year I kept having allergic reactions to medications, and I was convinced I wouldn't be able to spend the rest of my life living with Bipolar. I am so happy that I discovered Modafinil."

JRcalifornia December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy: "I was put on provigil at the age of 12 and it worked sometimes but I lost Insurance after hitting 18 then was able to get back on it at 20. Now I've been taking for 3 years and going. 2 200 milligrams 1 time when I wake up.some times 3 due to tollarence. I do road construction and operate heavy machines like Bob cats and trucks and rollers but I still fall asleep when we move to next job(not driving) I also use marijuana to help balance the shakes. It works wonders for me. You might just have to bump up dosage. I do this at 50mg plus until it works. Never went past 600 mg tho. Only bad effect is aloft of aggression and mania list of appetite"

Haloguy (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I knew the Modafinil was helping with my MDD. The benefits were hard to miss. Even when I was in a bad bout of depression I could still work. That's never happened before. What I didn't realise was that it was actually keeping my depression at bay. I found out because the factory that makes all the 'Provigil' for my entire country shut down so I had to stop taking it. My doctor has put me on a large dose of Ritalin and there is absolutely comparison. I am currently in the worst bout of depression I've had in ages. It's taking all I've got just to handle my immediate deadlines. I am feeling the Modafinil's absence, acutely. Other drug info: I am also taking a combination of Welbutrin and St. John's Wort. They work very well together."

mrandrewv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016