User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

ADHD 11 reviews 36 medications

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 26 reviews 2 medications

Narcolepsy 83 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Modafinil reviews 215 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Modafinil

For ADHD: "I am a former cocaine addict who has struggled with low mood and cravings long after I stopped using. My psychiatrist said cocaine increases dopamine and now I was suffering from not enough of it. He said Provigil can increase dopamine without the dangerous effects of cocaine. I take 200mg twice a day and I feel the best I've felt in ages."

Dan9447 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "over 2 months on provigil. still tired, can't remember words, yawn all day. only side effect was appetite suppressant. which is all I felt. waiting for Dr to prescribe something else."

CM550 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For ADHD: "I started using Adderall in College to help me balance my workload and social life, but I switched to Modafinil after hearing all the bad press about Adderall as very similar to meth and found many of my superiors in the company I was working for to be using Modafinil for performance enhancement. Modafinil has provided the focus and energy that Adderall provides but without the side effects. Highly recommended"

Superbuddha (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I been taking this medication Provigil/modafinil since 2007. It has been my experience with both to increase my way of life and to function as a normal human. No side affects, it has been amazing. the down fall is the insurance company's and FDA. When I started taking the meds 200 mg 1 1/2 tabs twice a day. The insurance approved. As the cost of the meds increased the denials started coming. I had to change insurance company due to my work. They would only approve two tablets a day therefore I had to adjusted to only taking two tablets a day. As of 7-1-2016 the FDA and insurance has decided that they will only approve and pay for one tablet per day. I ask the pharmacy how much would it cost me for a 30 days supply the reply made me cry $800"

Memul August 10, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I have Narcolepsy and I am currently taking 200mg twice daily and it barely works. My doctor added Ritalin 20mg twice daily and I have been on Ritalin for previous years until I moved to TX. In 2013, I was prescribed Vyvanse 70mg I believe. It didn't work better than the Ritalin or Adderall I tried while in TX. My doctor then prescribed Xyrem. Needless to say none of these drugs have provided adequate relief from daytime sleepiness. I started provigil in January 2016 and there's no change. I took provigil about 10 years ago and the same results. I need serious help because I barely function."

Chelle69 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "You get used to this and need to take more, or not take it (therefore not drive) for about a week. But only 'helpful' insights will be printed (after editing). So my saying $3600 a month for 60 pills? Really? Are they worth their weight in gold? They don't seem to have any side effects, for me. Other then tremors. So that's a plus. Should they cost more than most people make in a year? I am disabled, and receive $10,000 a year. After researching I'm not finding any major payouts from the company, due to lawsuits. (I realize awards are confidential, but there hasn't been many cases. Who(m) am I kidding. This won't be printed. I just HAD to say something, because the cost is abominable. Ok. I c $$ How did u do the A-spam thing? Impressed!"

Mediator (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2016

For Fatigue: "I've been taking this medicine for over a year and so far its given me some energy I still have to drink it with coffee to get the full effects from the drug. I had ms since I was 18 and am now 34 the only thing I have so far is extreme tiredness so modafinil helps with that. id say its a pretty good medicine for tiredness and when you cant stay awake. it helps me get stuff done"

butterflygirl8221 July 17, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I was prescribed Provigil 200mg BID in 2005 for my Chronic, severe fatigue due to MS and multiple flare ups from fibromyalgia.It is the best drug for me. I get a good 4 1/2 hours with the AM dose. And the same with the PM dose. It allowed me to maintain my full time job until my retirement. The prob is I'm on Medicare and pay $800 /mo for highmark PPO blue, just for the drug coverage. Then, my pharmacy will only give me 15 days at a time at a $120.00 co pay. So, now we have a drug that helps me function normally, but the poor house is just around the corner for me. Why make such a successful drug, offer it to middle class people, give them the hope they were seeking and then at some point have to stop because really, who can afford it??? Not to mention, if you try to refill your next 15 days worth a day early, huh!!"

TheJaye July 15, 2016

For Fatigue: "very effective for fatigue related to multiple sclerosis"

callee987 June 21, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Provigil is different for everyone. Personally, I can begin to feel it working about 30 to 45 min. I take it as soon as I get out of bed so it's on an empty stomach. I eat after I get dressed so by the time I'm making breakfast I feel like I received a caffeine boost that will last about 8-10 hours. If I'm having a hard time waking up, I have been known to take the medication and take a 15 min nap. I set my alarm for 15-20 min. When I wake up again, my head is clear, I feel refreshed and ready to burst out of bed. "

dancorpina (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "I have taken provigil years ago with no significant improvement. I went through the last 20 years being prescribe Xyrem, Cylert, Adderall, Ritalin and recently Provigil along with Ritalin. None of these drugs provide wakefulness that last more than 3-4 hours. I can take the combination of Provigil and Ritalin at 9am and fall back to sleep at 9:30 am. I take my medication on an empty stomach but the wakefulness is almost non existent. I want to volunteer to be a case study because I believe I am a rare individual with Narcolepsy. I want to find out if there is an underlying problem because I hear of people getting addicted to these drugs and they barely have an affect on me. I want to live a normal life and not be sleepy all day, everyday."

Irama Tenej June 9, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for : "I seriously do not know how this medicine is approved as a stimulant. I suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and shift work sleep disorder. This medicine in no way kept me awake, alert, or focused. If anything I had a complete opposite affect. I felt some sort of brain fog, my performance at work lagged, and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had no motivation to accomplish any tasks, or get out of bed for that matter. Along with these negative effects I had headaches and nausea. I would not recommend this as a stimulant or something for sharp cognitive effects. But, maybe more like a sleeping pill. I felt like it was a sleeping pill, but struggling to stay awake after taking it. Tried for 1 week."

Amanda V. May 26, 2016

For : "I wanted to try modafinal for days I get a foggy head or tired to get me more motive Ted and only take when needed. Turns I only took half the pills (100mg) and about hour later had extreme anxiety could not concentrate and felt like I just wanted to sleep it off but I viously couldn't sleep. Did the exact opposite it's suppose to do. I could not concentrate on anything and kept forgetting what I was doing."

Leanmachine (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

For Fatigue: "Well, first of all this drug helps you keeping awake for long hours, you can keep focused longer, but not a big deal. The bad thing is that it made me wanna cry all the time, I got very sensitive I felt like crying even watching the news. It turns me in a bad mood as well"

Manou1992 May 3, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "Really helps in the morning but seems to wear off rather quickly. I will try an additional dose in the afternoon."

Apneac April 29, 2016

For Narcolepsy: "I took Modafinil for a week and a half for narcolepsy and couldn't continue. I was wide awake for 2 days but practically manic. By the third was a waking zombie. My brain fog was significantly worse and my fatigue increased to the point of hardly being able to get out of bed. It became progressively worse each day."

Missy82 April 25, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on modafinil since three weeks. Was previously on fluoxetine since a year,self prescribed for apparent depression. I.stopped fluoxetine cold Turkey 3 weeks back and put myself on modafinil. I have carried well since. Tried stopping fluoxetine suddenly previously also without any replacement drug,but got severe mood disturbances,and wasn't successful. Modafinil is helping me for good ever since. But I started having serious side effects since last week.. severe muscle cramps, mainly in calves,backaches,pain in right scapular region,shortness of breath, mild headaches, increased sexual desire. I am happy on the drug, but leg cramps,pain in scapular region, shortness of breath are making it miserable. I may stop modafinil due to the side effects"

ephialtis (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Depression: "I was extremely hopeful upon reading the raving reviews about Modafinil for depression , especially for initiative and motivation. I was practically expecting it would work so if anything, I was the perfect candidate for the placebo effect. But it was not to be. I took up to 200mg but found it to have no effects at all on my depression. It actually made me slightly anxious and agitated. Though, it does work very well with making you stay awake and alert. "

Arrowstar April 21, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "My first experience with modafinil wasn't as all said it to be. I have sleep apnea and have studied this drug for a long time. I decided to ask my doctor if I could try it. I was given the generic brand in Canada because it's fully covered for status Indians.I was given apo-modafinil and not very satisfied with the effects. It did help a bit thou. I then renewed the prescription and they gave me a different generic modafinil,Mar-modafinil. Government changed that. Wow what a difference. I love it! This can be my new love. I first noticed the pill was pill shaped and more dense. It seemed the apo-modafinil was easy to break and disintegrated easy under my tongue. This tells me it probably had alot of filler and less potent. Good stuff."

Italiantribe (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "This stuff is absolutely amazing! I have never felt better in my entire life. I have struggled with fatigue, daytime sleepiness, and depression for the better part of my 62 years. I was constantly tired and always in need of a nap. I could not read a book or watch tv without nodding off. Now I am awake and focused all day long. It is like 5 cups of coffe with absolutely no jitter or side effects. I no longer take or need a nap during the day and my sleep pattern has improved greatly. I used to sleep less than 4 to 5 hours a night. I would wake up at 2 or 3. Now I am sleeping about 6+ hrs. The depression I have endured for 50 years is gone! My wife cannot believe how much this drug has helped me. It is so wonderful to be enjoying life."

Mtbbob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

For Depression: "After suffering from severe depression and PTSD; and having been prescribed Luvox, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and combinations for over 20 years; I read about Modafinil being used off label. The only antidepressant that had helped previously was the Zoloft. After several years; it lost the effectiveness from when I first began taking it. In the meantime, I became permanently disabled due to MANY physical conditions along with my mental conditions. My doctor added Modafinil to my daily regiment of medications. I can think more clearly; and don't lose my train of thought, nor become distracted as often before taking Modafinil. It has been a blessing for me and I have not experienced any ill side effects."

Improved March 25, 2016

For Depression: "Took these for a few weeks leading up to an exam with no thought that they'd help with my depression. Having suffered from chronic depression since early adolescence which was not at all helped by the numerous anti-depressants I've tried over the years these pills were a blessing. It's the first time I'd felt like myself in years; I had energy, drive, my thinking became more positive and it was like this crushing weight was taken off from me and I could actually enjoy life again. Really hope this medication becomes licensed for use in treating depression in the UK, could potentially improve countless lives."

ModafiMedic (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Fatigue: "It works wonders. I'm no longer depressed or tired. Everyone who qualifies for a prescription should get it"

kiel (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2016

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "IMHO, modafinil is a good medication. I was originally diagnosed with EDS. Couple years later, MSLT showed REM, blablabla, narcolepsy. I've tried it ALL. best was Dexedrine which is no longer manufactured (as far as I understand). Adderral dropped me down to about 95lbs (even tho I'm a small girl). Ritalin made me super anxious and mute and slow. And provigil was... Just ok and VERY expensive. Stopped the provigil because it cost $500 a month, 60tabs BID 100 mg. I just can't keep paying for it. I went back to Ritalin which is the cheapest of them all cause I thought I was better. Never been more wrong! Not being on the provigil has shown me, I DO HAVE NARCOLEPSY. W/o provigil, I can barely function :-/. But how can I carve out $500 for it?!"

Geeeceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I had to work part time because I was so tired. Eventually I had to stop altogether. Now I buy modafinil and my life has changed . I am a cab driver able to do airport runs thinking clearly and never tired. I don't take it every day just 100mg or half a tab before driving. I can do all my paperwork now and am enjoying life."

Notsorich February 21, 2016