User Reviews for Modafinil

6.7

Summary of Modafinil reviews 7.7 333 reviews

Reviews for Modafinil

Mel July 14, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "Modafinil takes a lot of getting used to and to figuring out what doses at what time works best. It has made me able to be sociable and do things again! I used to sleep for over 50% of the day, but this is no longer a problem. I’m very very happy with it. I can still fall asleep when I take it though."

Candy Monster · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

For Depression: "Modafinil has helped some of my friends continue with their daily activities amid depression, and develop for the better. I have seen no side effects so far."

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I started using it about a year ago for excessive fatigue from multiple sclerosis or from the MS drug I'd changed to a year back. At first I started with 50 mg modafinil. At that time I had to go to a neurological appointment. I had multiple panic attacks while going to the appointment. I even took Xanax which didn't even help. It's like the modafinil over road the Xanax effects. Modafinil didn't wear off for hours. I'd already struggled with anxiety from neuro issues so this was so frustrating for me. Since then I'll take 25 mg occasionally. Make sure you start low and also take very early or you'll have insomnia. This drug has a very long half life. Wish it helped me more but the side effects for me aren't great."

CKLC June 14, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "My experience with Modafinil was tough. I have been struggling with daily fatigue for a while now and my psychiatrist prescribed me it to help me wake up. It has in fact helped me with that, and I feel like I can mostly go through each day without crashing or feeling like a dead fish. However, I have a severe anxiety disorder and my psychiatrist had been cautious of prescribing me a stimulant in case it increased said anxiety. Unfortunately, that’s what Modafinil did to me. It increased my heart rate and gave me overall physical anxiety, which seems impossible to get rid of once it attacks me. This in turn causes mental anxiety. The energy Modafinil gave me ultimately was not worth this anxious increase. Also, since the drug is a controlled substance I couldn’t get a refill anyway, and it just wasn’t worth it. I would say that each person is different and while anxiety is a common side effect it doesn’t have to be a sole feature. It did give me energy and that was a big plus."

JD · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "I am new to this modafinil (just started this week). I am taking 200mg for narcolepsy. So far it has been great. I haven’t felt this awake in so long. I am able to function all day without naps. One question I have is since I started this I have only been sleeping on average 4-4.5 hours at night. Has anyone else experienced this. Is it because I just started? I don’t want to sleep that little that can’t be healthy."

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

For ADHD: "I took this drug for a month and then stopped because I fell into my seasonal depression and needed some time to relax. Before this drug I took Adderall 30mg a day and eventually it wore me down and I was unwilling to take more. Modafinil came with virtually no negative side effects compared to Adderall. It feels like you are just at ease with whatever it is you want to be doing instead of trying to do things and feeling like you need to find your bed, It feels like the ultimate coffee. I recommend this drug as an alternative to Adderall any day of the week to anyone. It is much less neuro-toxic and has no side effects but yet gives me the mental clarity, focus, and stay up that I need to do what I want. Also people are saying this drug is expensive,I can get coupons and buy it for $35 in generic form. My insurance does want me to pay a lot though,"

DaddyRabbit · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Does nothing for my narcolepsy. I stay on it because the doctor told me to and I’m not competent enough to know that it’s not working. Also I look like a drug seeker if mention anything, and don’t agree with the doctors recommendation. It gives me some anxiety, my body feels awake but my head feels sleepy. Does nothing for brain fog I get with my narcolepsy. Armodafinil works better"

Patty · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

For Fatigue: "This modafinil medicine worked great for fatigue, however after the first year I began to loose some teeth. My neurologist would always ask to see my mouth as soon as I started taking. Couldn’t figure out why until I began to loose teeth."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Was prescribed armodafinil 150mg for chronic fatigue syndrome, at first I started off splitting it in half, which made me alert initially, but stopped being effective in a few days. I then tried taking the entire 150mg, which didn't make me alert, but gave me headaches, nausea, and made me very thirsty. Have been taking modafinil 100mg now for a couple of months, to varying degrees of success. I split the pills, take a half in mornings. I usually end up getting a headache by the late afternoon. On days where my fatigue is exacerbated, I avoid taking it as it leads to a huge headache for me. When I feel the headaches coming on, I know my productive day is over. I find that trying to power through the headaches leads to feeling terrible the next day, even if I take paracetamol. If modafinil had more of an affect on my fatigue, I could forgive the headaches and the price. But unfortunately it hasn't done much for me."

JayR May 9, 2019

For ADHD: "My whole life I struggled to with focus, energy and confidence. It took great effort to pay attention and I struggled to complete things. Teachers, family and friends told me I was a daydreamer, an underachiever and lazy. I felt shame that I was not good enough and must just try harder. Then I was prescribed Modafinil at age 40 and was able to focus, had energy and social confidence. When visiting museums I was unable to focus on exhibitions for more than 2 minutes, I now spend a whole days museums reading everything! I've been discriminated for being forgetful, distracted and underachieving. Now I'm succeeding in a new career, communicate effectively and no longer feel shame. Unfortunately here in the U.K. doctors it is so hard to get a prescription. Shouldn't I have the right to a drug which makes me equal to my peers, able to reach my dreams and contribute to society. My greatest fear is access to obtaining it being blocked."

RoscoeTheDog May 1, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Modofinil is an interesting drug. I have fibromyalgia and fatigue problems. Within the first 3-4 days of taking 100mg, I noticed a marginal difference. It was odd, like I had more physical energy and could pay attention without feeling buzzed. However, it did feel very artificial and sometimes like my brain was fighting it. After about a week of taking it, I noticed I was feeling very tired- almost like a train had hit me during the day. I first associated it with sleep issues or not recently taken my Testosterone (I take this to help with workouts and fight libido problems that comes with Fibro), but I eventually realized that the zombied out feeling was actually caused by the Modofinil. It made retaining information and memory recall more difficult. From what I've read this is called a case of the "stoopids" Its typically a pretty rare side effect and it seems to be pretty successful for many people, but the feeling was just way too uncomfortable for me."

AnnD · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "I have sleep apnea, depression and ADHD. My pulmonary Dr put me on this. This has been a week and it's not working. Adderall stopped working as well. I wake up and I can't get out of bed. I m always tired."

Narco-student April 24, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "Diagnosed with narcolepsy at 14 after Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) had me asleep in 40 seconds. My type is Severe Narcoleptic without cateplexy,. Provigil is gave me my life back so I can complete school!! On it for 7+ years. I take a high dosage in the morning (AFTER eating), sleep immediately afterward to get rid of dizziness/mental fog, wake up an hour+ later with massive energy for the day. Did well, but best results when I started doing a sport regularly along with Provigil (Not as effective when I was inactive). TIPS + Provigil increases alertness/energy level, not a full cure. I take 1-2 hour naps after eating/exercising/awake too long. Learned to plan sleep schedule around activities. + EXPENSIVE, but getting cheaper. Initially paid $1,200 a month. Insurance covered modafinil after Adderal, Xyrem, Ritalin, Nuvigil failed + "Midday fallout" happened during first few months because my dosage was too low. Doctor increased my dosage and I began keeping VERY consistent schedule, and it went away."

KR · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2019

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "This medication worked wonders for me. It had a lot fewer side effects than the alternatives like amphetamines and methylphenidate, however modafinil raises histamine levels and I broke out in hives about 2 weeks into taking it. It’s a shame because this medicine worked better than anything else I have tried."

BeeBee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2019

For ADHD: "Since I am unmedicated for ADD, I've been trying several natural nootropics in the past. After reading about Modafinil, I've decided to give it a try. I mostly have problems with concentration and procrastination, and unfortunately, it doesn't work. I know that Modafinil is supposed to keep you awake and focused, but it doesn't help with motivation. Well, the thing is that it's not even keeping me awake. I've been experimenting with several doses, in various situations, I was taking care of not eating or drinking anything that interacts, but most of the time I can take a nap on it. And when it works, it makes me very anxious and irritable, so I can't take things done because of the anxiety. I gave it 5 stars, because some days it helps, kinda, but so far I'm not happy with the results. I think it works, but not for ADD."

Vicki Lynn March 19, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy with Cataplexy when I was a freshman in high school. I am now 26 years old with a 3 year old daughter. While I was in high school, I was prescribed Ritalin, which did help. Recently I was prescribed Adderall and it worked GREAT. I was taking a 20mg tablet twice a day (one in the morning, once at noon or 1 pm). I went and saw a new Sleep Disorder Doctor who prescribed the Modafinil at 200mg a day (1 tablet in the morning). I am still absolutely exhausted by noon or 1pm. On Modafinil I am fine in the morning after I take it, but again, by Noon or 1pm, I am absolutely exhausted, can't focus and can barley keep my eyes open enough to function. I had high hopes for this medication but it just doesn't seem to be enough for me. I don't feel any different then when I wasn't taking anything."

Sleepyhead March 12, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "I am on 200 mg of Modafinil, 20 mg of Adderall XR, 30 mg of Adderall IR and I am still falling asleep. Provigil is way too expensive even with insurance was over $3000.00. I am already having issues at work with meeting deadlines, with is causing the depression and anxiety. I just do not know how I am going to keep my job if I cannot stay awake. I am just wondering what happens when the medication will no longer work at the highest dosage."

patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2019

For Depression: "Modafinil is one of the best prescription drugs I have ever taken and I have tried everything. If it was not for this medication I could not even get up in the morning and do anything. This is the only one that works. No bad side effects at all only problem insurance won't pay for this so I somehow try too come up with the money too pay for this. This is something too try if nothing else's works. Also I have taken all ADD and depression meds I have even tried some of the new medication this is one of the Best."

Snuggeben · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have got my life back. For 3 weeks ago I could not even take a bath without sleeping up to ten hours after. Now I am painting and cleaning my flat. I can make my meals and eat them. And next month I am going to Spain on holidays "

better_now · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2019

For Depression: "I have struggled with major depression since I was 13 (I'm 23 now). I have been put trough the ringer of all the traditional antidepressant classes. I've tried two SSRI's, three SNRI's, several different atypical antipsychotics, Remeron, Lamictal, and Wellbutrin XL. I'm a man and have had terrible sexual side effects with antidepressants. Recently I was diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, and I said I need something new. My psychiatrist suggested Provigil, since it is less likely than other stimulants to worsen high blood pressure. It has been a godsend for my depression. I have energy, intense focus and have been doing much better in my college courses. Long work shifts that used to drag on forever now seem to fly by. I am more patient and outgoing than I have ever been. Now I just take this and Wellbutrin XL. Definitely recommend. Should be used much more frequently for refractory depression. It's not covered on insurance but I can get it for like $40 per month."

Melvin A · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2019

For ADHD: "I take a prodrug of modafinil called adrafnil but has similar effects, I feel energetic, productive, smart and speedy. This drug works wonders for depression and has made me feel euphoric. I recommend modafinil to anyone facing concentration and depression problems. I started a new job and have A's in school."

1Texasbear · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2018

For ADHD: "I used Provigil for about 6 months “off label” for ADHD , non hyperactive type. I was trying to find something that wasn’t as strong as the Adderall (60mgs) twice daily. My Psychiatrist had me take one 30mg in the morning and a 100mg of Provigil at lunch time. This was generally when I took the second Adderall. The Adderall was immediate release. It seemed to work, but made me have headaches, neck and shoulder pain, and irritability. After 5 months on this regime I started noticing urinary retentiion. I finally got a UTI and had to go back to the Adderall! It’s a good medication for some people, but it wasn’t for me. Also it’s unbelievably expensive if you don’t have insurance that will pay for this medication, even the generic version."

Sillyme123 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I'm a chronic procrastinator and I've had problems with sticking to my heavy workload as a self-employed person. I'd start but I wouldn't get much done. I also suffer from depression. Modafinil (Modalert) helps. I can now actually get work done, even 100 mg is enough, and I've also found my mood is much more stable during the day. A bad event won't get to me. There's no way to reduce the effect. Even if you take calming substances, such as marijuana, both will have effect at the same time and that's not a very good thing. To get the best effect out of modafinil, you need to be well rested, well fed, hydrated and generally healthy and positive. I tend to be a bit more precise in communication (and I perhaps annoyingly demand the same from others), but this is not a drug that improves cognitive abilities. It just makes me stick to what I wanted to do - which is a huge positive effect that can change one's life for the better. It's a drug against lazyness / procrastination."

theluckyone · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "My experience with modafinil has varied widely based on the manufacturer. Mylan generic is the only one that will work even a little bit for me, but it’s getting harder and harder to find. It cuts through that swimming narcoleptic feeling and allows me to be awake enough to function reasonably well. I felt a bit “driven” when I first started on it, but now I take quite a big dose with no side effects except possibly dry mouth. Other manufacturers’ products, especially Alembic’s, do nothing for me—meaning, I constantly feel like I’m trying to walk through a swimming pool the whole time I’m “awake.” In order to get a more consistent product at the pharmacy, I’m trying to get switched over to name-brand Provigil. I can’t really afford that, but I really can’t afford not to function."

ADHDPT · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2018

For ADHD: "Not effective and gave me headaches and sulfur-odor urine."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)