User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Modafinil Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome.

Reviews for Modafinil

Buster · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

"I have been on modafinil for about 15 years now. I took 200mg x2 a day while working, and try only to take one a day now that retired (because it doesn't make much difference). The last five years I have found it hardly works for me anymore. I use my CPAP regularly, and faithful with checkups. It seems I can't sit to read or watch TV without falling asleep. If I have a busy day, on the go all day, I am constantly yawning and feel totally exhausted when I get home. This is really annoying for me because I used to be full of energy, and now feel as if I have used my life supply all up!!"

AnnD · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

"I have sleep apnea, depression and ADHD. My pulmonary Dr put me on this. This has been a week and it's not working. Adderall stopped working as well. I wake up and I can't get out of bed. I m always tired."

Sleepy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2018

"If you’re looking at “smart drugs,” this review won’t help. Modafinil gives me relief after decades of exhaustion from complex sleep apnea. I use CPAP, but the struggle is real and 200mg modafinil 1x/day makes waking up SO much easier. I have to be strategic about when I take it because it does wear off. Anxiety does not appear to be worse than usual when on this dose, maybe bc I feel more in control. For instance, I can easily decide what needs to be done next and it actually seems doable (poor sleep=reduced cognitive function; often I can't quite pin down the best next step & when I can it seems disproportionately difficult). It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement. Relatives who didn't know I was taking it have noted an increase in my energy and focus. The dr. watches my blood pressure while I’m on it but it’s also easier to make better food & drink choices when I’m not about to fall asleep at any moment & it’s been fine."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2017

Provigil (modafinil): "jittery, dry mouth, shortness of breath, tightness in chest, exacerbated hand tremors, diarrhea, nausea, headache, hot flash every day. Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) marginally improved at best."

Tiredlytired · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2017

"Was prescribed this for sleep apnea. It made me feel horrible and I had weird sleep hallucinations with it. It didn't make me feel awake it just made me feel weird. Disappointed that I still haven't found anything to help me stay awake during the day."

mddilla · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2017

"So far this medicine works well. One hour after I take the medicine I feel wide awake and more alert than I have felt in years. About 4.5 to 5 hours I usually get a headache but I will stay awake feeling fine. I have noticed that when I go to sleep I sleep much sounder and longer."

IronArcher · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2016

"...continued: I had no side effects other than very slight nausea, just kept me from overeating if anything. I am 225lb and I am VERY resistant to drugs...most seem to have virtually zero effect (Didn't notice anything from Adderral....NOTHING) so my dosages are normally a bit higher than most. Again, it won't make you superman, but it DOES make me feel human again. NOT a human on meth, but just a normal human being....something I had not felt like for some time. 8/10 only because I wish it did what those reviews and videos claimed. I wish it made me feel like I have MORE energy than someone not taking it."

Sleepy123 · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2016

"I put off taking Modafanil until I used my cpap for 1 month as instructed by my doctor. I have complex sleep apnea, both obstructive & central & a circadian rhythm disorder, my clock is totally backwards, could be considered sleep shift work disorder but I haven't worked for a few years due to this & other medical issues. I've been doing a lot better but the sleep is the major issue. I tried modafinil 50mg, nothing. I then went to 100mg, nothing. I also tried 50 twice a day, nothing. After about 6 days I started experiencing EXTREME gastrointestinal pains, bloating & distension. I looked pregnant & could barely move because of the pain. I could not pass gas either. It was terrible. I was really disappointed as I heard good reviews here"

Apneac April 29, 2016

Provigil (modafinil): "Really helps in the morning but seems to wear off rather quickly. I will try an additional dose in the afternoon."

Italiantribe · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2016

"My first experience with modafinil wasn't as all said it to be. I have sleep apnea and have studied this drug for a long time. I decided to ask my doctor if I could try it. I was given the generic brand in Canada because it's fully covered for status Indians.I was given apo-modafinil and not very satisfied with the effects. It did help a bit thou. I then renewed the prescription and they gave me a different generic modafinil,Mar-modafinil. Government changed that. Wow what a difference. I love it! This can be my new love. I first noticed the pill was pill shaped and more dense. It seemed the apo-modafinil was easy to break and disintegrated easy under my tongue. This tells me it probably had alot of filler and less potent. Good stuff."

Mtbbob · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2016

"This stuff is absolutely amazing! I have never felt better in my entire life. I have struggled with fatigue, daytime sleepiness, and depression for the better part of my 62 years. I was constantly tired and always in need of a nap. I could not read a book or watch tv without nodding off. Now I am awake and focused all day long. It is like 5 cups of coffe with absolutely no jitter or side effects. I no longer take or need a nap during the day and my sleep pattern has improved greatly. I used to sleep less than 4 to 5 hours a night. I would wake up at 2 or 3. Now I am sleeping about 6+ hrs. The depression I have endured for 50 years is gone! My wife cannot believe how much this drug has helped me. It is so wonderful to be enjoying life."

burlysteak · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2015

"I have been taking Modafinil for 2 years now @ 600mg daily. Moderate to severe sleep apnea. I have been trying to sleep for 20 years...I have tried everything, surgery. weight loss Autopap and a cpap. no side effects."

OSA_sleep July 11, 2015

"The first time I took this (prescribed for obstructive sleep apnea) I thought "wow, this is the answer!" I was awake and alert but didn't feel drugged....I felt "on the ball" and I hadn't felt like that in forever. The second time I took it I felt extremely tired. I forced myself out of bed but felt extremely depressed and anxious. I took anther tablet not realizing I was having a negative reaction to this drug. I became so tired I stayed in bed all the next day. I felt disorientated and it was as if everything was in slow motion. I could not get out of bed and was more tired than I had ever been in my life. My heart beat was fast and it felt irregular. I started to have negative thoughts and hallucinations. Not good!!!"

Kusha · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2015

"Extremely effective for memory, and alertness. Take 1/2 in morning. Second dosage 2-3 hours later. If taken whole it cause hunger, and nervousness/shaking."

srilamm April 3, 2015

"I have obstructive sleep apnea so severe, I fall asleep driving, working, sitting, during an MRI, etc. I'm extremely allergic to the plastic c-pap masks OR they don't work effectively so I'm unable to get relief from the machine. I do shift work, suffer from depression, anxiety, ADD, panic attacks and now this has become progressively worse in the last year. I sleep so much to catch up that now my 46 year old body is breaking down. Loss of muscle mass, weight gain, etc. What does work for me? Provigil/Modifinil. Amazing! Truly! But my Medica health insurance does not cover it. Why won't the pharmaceutical companies lower the price or provide alternatives, options, etc. I'm a beautiful woman slowly wasting away."

Wolg · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2015

Provigil (modafinil): "Positive"

baldbobc · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2013

"I'm finally getting 8 hours of sleep with significant REM. Having regular dreams for the first in decades (67 yrs old). Plenty of energy. ADHD symptoms, including: focus, short term memory, social interaction, feeling of well being, and a general calming effect have all improved dramatically. For about 5 years I took 60 mg/day of Dexedrine but had to stop due to blood pressure issues. Basically the same results without the side effects."

myoman · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2013

Provigil (modafinil): "This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date."

Anonymous July 18, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): "Originally prescribed Provigil for sleep apnea, or at least that is what my doctors said so that my insurance would pay for it, however my sleep study was done a long time ago when I weighed more and insurance has recently stopped paying. I actually take the medication due to 2 previous head injuries. I have been on the medication for about 4-5 years. During that time I have returned to work and school to pursue a nursing degree. Off of the Provigil I have to take a nap every day, begin to forget things, and fail my classes at school. I have had to make many lifestyle changes since my accidents and taking Provigil really helps me. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers and just want close to normal life as possible."

a1vaz1an · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): "I have been on Provigil for approximately for 6 months and there is a marked difference! I am very happy with this medicine and the losing weight."

Jimbo7432 February 27, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): "I have taken this medicine for sleep apnea and ADD as a replacement for Ritalin, which I became addicted to for a few years. Provigil does not affect me the same way in terms of a desire to increase the dose and it is very effective for day time wakefulness and for keeping my focus. I have had no negative effects from this - only positive. It is very expensive and if it wasn't for insurance coverage the medicine would cost $1,500 per month if out of pocket. "

Anonymous November 29, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): "I suffer from sleep apnea. Provigil really helps improve my focus and concentration. I only wish it had been available when I was a student in college! No telling what I could have accomplished! "

Anonymous September 6, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): "Provigil has given me my life back! I have been on 200mg twice a day and the results are great! When I quit teaching and went on my husband's insurance, the insurance company refused to pay for two times a day, so my doctor put me on Nuvigil. I was on it for 6 weeks and I was always tired. I am moving back to Provigil. "

Tim CPhT April 27, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): "It's my first day on this medicine but man, I feel odd since I've never been so awake. Right now it's about 2:30PM Central time and my bed should be calling me and I'm fine. I feel like going for a run."

Anonymous December 17, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): "Really works, saved my job."

Learn more about Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome