User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome

Also known as: Provigil

Modafinil has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 34 ratings for the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome. 71% of those users who reviewed Modafinil reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Modafinil Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome.

Reviews for Modafinil

Buster · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

“I have been on modafinil for about 15 years now. I took 200mg x2 a day while working, and try only to take one a day now that retired (because it doesn't make much difference). The last five years I have found it hardly works for me anymore. I use my CPAP regularly, and faithful with checkups. It seems I can't sit to read or watch TV without falling asleep. If I have a busy day, on the go all day, I am constantly yawning and feel totally exhausted when I get home. This is really annoying for me because I used to be full of energy, and now feel as if I have used my life supply all up!!”

AnnD · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

“I have sleep apnea, depression and ADHD. My pulmonary Dr put me on this. This has been a week and it's not working. Adderall stopped working as well. I wake up and I can't get out of bed. I m always tired.”

Sleepy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2018

“If you’re looking at “smart drugs,” this review won’t help. Modafinil gives me relief after decades of exhaustion from complex sleep apnea. I use CPAP, but the struggle is real and 200mg modafinil 1x/day makes waking up SO much easier. I have to be strategic about when I take it because it does wear off. Anxiety does not appear to be worse than usual when on this dose, maybe bc I feel more in control. For instance, I can easily decide what needs to be done next and it actually seems doable (poor sleep=reduced cognitive function; often I can't quite pin down the best next step & when I can it seems disproportionately difficult). It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement. Relatives who didn't know I was taking it have noted an increase in my energy and focus. The dr. watches my blood pressure while I’m on it but it’s also easier to make better food & drink choices when I’m not about to fall asleep at any moment & it’s been fine.”

myoman · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2013

Provigil (modafinil): “This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date.”

Anonymous July 18, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): “Originally prescribed Provigil for sleep apnea, or at least that is what my doctors said so that my insurance would pay for it, however my sleep study was done a long time ago when I weighed more and insurance has recently stopped paying. I actually take the medication due to 2 previous head injuries. I have been on the medication for about 4-5 years. During that time I have returned to work and school to pursue a nursing degree. Off of the Provigil I have to take a nap every day, begin to forget things, and fail my classes at school. I have had to make many lifestyle changes since my accidents and taking Provigil really helps me. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers and just want close to normal life as possible.”

Anonymous January 29, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “I have Sleep Apnea and use CPAP but unfortunately the CPAP doesn't completely resolve the exhaustion. I take 200mg Provigil once a day and it has given me my life back. I was in danger of losing my job because the exhaustion caused me not to be able to focus or produce. Once on the Provigil, my boss says he has been blown away by my performance. No side effects whatsoever.”

Jimbo7432 February 27, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): “I have taken this medicine for sleep apnea and ADD as a replacement for Ritalin, which I became addicted to for a few years. Provigil does not affect me the same way in terms of a desire to increase the dose and it is very effective for day time wakefulness and for keeping my focus. I have had no negative effects from this - only positive. It is very expensive and if it wasn't for insurance coverage the medicine would cost $1,500 per month if out of pocket. ”

I recommend August 4, 2008

Provigil (modafinil): “I have been on this medicine for three days for treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness that is not helped by proper use of CPAP. Previously I have struggled to stay awake at work and I am very happy to report that this medication has helped me to stay awake quite nicely with no trouble falling asleep at night. I am currently taking the 100 mg dose.”

welcomehomed January 20, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): “My problem was falling asleep while driving and falling asleep in class at nursing school. My doctor prescribed Provigil at 200mg in the morning. The first day was simply incredible. After that it didn't seem to work anymore. So the dosage was raised to 300mg. Same affect. So now I take 400mg only on the days when I have class. That seems to be enough to keep me going on the other days too. Provigil is a very good medicine, and I am blessed enough to have insurance that pays every penny so I am not aware of the price. (And I still have to make sure I get at least six hours of sleep at night.)”

toogood2btrue July 24, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “My first 30 days on Provigil (200mg x 2 daily) were literally a life changing event. I have never felt so energetic, awake, and constantly in a good mood in my life. However, after 30 days the effects started to wane and, after 90 days, I feel little benefit. I tried taking an additional 3rd supplemental dose of 100mg a couple of hours after my second daily dose of 200mg to see if the good results might return, but all I gained from the additional 100mg was a headache. There is a definite and very unfortunate tolerance problem with Provigil in my experience.”

Tim CPhT April 27, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): “It's my first day on this medicine but man, I feel odd since I've never been so awake. Right now it's about 2:30PM Central time and my bed should be calling me and I'm fine. I feel like going for a run.”

Anonymous September 6, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): “Provigil has given me my life back! I have been on 200mg twice a day and the results are great! When I quit teaching and went on my husband's insurance, the insurance company refused to pay for two times a day, so my doctor put me on Nuvigil. I was on it for 6 weeks and I was always tired. I am moving back to Provigil. ”

Sleeping beauty November 14, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “I took the first pill this morning. This is the first time in years that I didn't fall asleep in church! I can't wait to go to school Monday morning to see if I get sleepy and doze off in class. Provigil could be one of the best things that ever happened to me!”

Mtbbob · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2016

“This stuff is absolutely amazing! I have never felt better in my entire life. I have struggled with fatigue, daytime sleepiness, and depression for the better part of my 62 years. I was constantly tired and always in need of a nap. I could not read a book or watch tv without nodding off. Now I am awake and focused all day long. It is like 5 cups of coffe with absolutely no jitter or side effects. I no longer take or need a nap during the day and my sleep pattern has improved greatly. I used to sleep less than 4 to 5 hours a night. I would wake up at 2 or 3. Now I am sleeping about 6+ hrs. The depression I have endured for 50 years is gone! My wife cannot believe how much this drug has helped me. It is so wonderful to be enjoying life.”

Anonymous December 26, 2008

Provigil (modafinil): “I feel that 200 mg is probably best for me but makes me overly "chatty" and nonproductive in that manner, and my heart races. 100 mg does help me feel more awake in the morning but wears off very quickly. I still need a nap when I get home from work.”

holy crap October 7, 2008

Provigil (modafinil): “Well if you want to be totally awake, 200mg is the way to go. Doctor started me on 100mg twice a day then moved me to 200mg twice today. Definitely awake now. Sometimes I feel like I should be asleep but just can't. I'll probably go back to 100mg twice a day. At least now, I don't fall asleep anytime I stop moving for 5 minutes.”

baldbobc · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2013

“I'm finally getting 8 hours of sleep with significant REM. Having regular dreams for the first in decades (67 yrs old). Plenty of energy. ADHD symptoms, including: focus, short term memory, social interaction, feeling of well being, and a general calming effect have all improved dramatically. For about 5 years I took 60 mg/day of Dexedrine but had to stop due to blood pressure issues. Basically the same results without the side effects.”

srilamm April 3, 2015

“I have obstructive sleep apnea so severe, I fall asleep driving, working, sitting, during an MRI, etc. I'm extremely allergic to the plastic c-pap masks OR they don't work effectively so I'm unable to get relief from the machine. I do shift work, suffer from depression, anxiety, ADD, panic attacks and now this has become progressively worse in the last year. I sleep so much to catch up that now my 46 year old body is breaking down. Loss of muscle mass, weight gain, etc. What does work for me? Provigil/Modifinil. Amazing! Truly! But my Medica health insurance does not cover it. Why won't the pharmaceutical companies lower the price or provide alternatives, options, etc. I'm a beautiful woman slowly wasting away.”

ChazzM August 22, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “This is my second day on Provigil 200mg once a day and was hoping for a dramatic change but there was none. I have sleep apnea and CPAP was not enough. Passed out at work and not safe to drive. I can say I am a little more clear and not in sleepy fog. Hoping that it will get better or up my dose”

burlysteak · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2015

“I have been taking Modafinil for 2 years now @ 600mg daily. Moderate to severe sleep apnea. I have been trying to sleep for 20 years...I have tried everything, surgery. weight loss Autopap and a cpap. no side effects.”

OSA_sleep July 11, 2015

“The first time I took this (prescribed for obstructive sleep apnea) I thought "wow, this is the answer!" I was awake and alert but didn't feel drugged....I felt "on the ball" and I hadn't felt like that in forever. The second time I took it I felt extremely tired. I forced myself out of bed but felt extremely depressed and anxious. I took anther tablet not realizing I was having a negative reaction to this drug. I became so tired I stayed in bed all the next day. I felt disorientated and it was as if everything was in slow motion. I could not get out of bed and was more tired than I had ever been in my life. My heart beat was fast and it felt irregular. I started to have negative thoughts and hallucinations. Not good!!!”

Italiantribe · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2016

“My first experience with modafinil wasn't as all said it to be. I have sleep apnea and have studied this drug for a long time. I decided to ask my doctor if I could try it. I was given the generic brand in Canada because it's fully covered for status Indians.I was given apo-modafinil and not very satisfied with the effects. It did help a bit thou. I then renewed the prescription and they gave me a different generic modafinil,Mar-modafinil. Government changed that. Wow what a difference. I love it! This can be my new love. I first noticed the pill was pill shaped and more dense. It seemed the apo-modafinil was easy to break and disintegrated easy under my tongue. This tells me it probably had alot of filler and less potent. Good stuff.”

Sleepy123 · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2016

“I put off taking Modafanil until I used my cpap for 1 month as instructed by my doctor. I have complex sleep apnea, both obstructive & central & a circadian rhythm disorder, my clock is totally backwards, could be considered sleep shift work disorder but I haven't worked for a few years due to this & other medical issues. I've been doing a lot better but the sleep is the major issue. I tried modafinil 50mg, nothing. I then went to 100mg, nothing. I also tried 50 twice a day, nothing. After about 6 days I started experiencing EXTREME gastrointestinal pains, bloating & distension. I looked pregnant & could barely move because of the pain. I could not pass gas either. It was terrible. I was really disappointed as I heard good reviews here”

akTom August 12, 2008

“Provigil has saved my life, as the saying goes. I am taking 300 mg and 100 mg six hours later. Despite my use of a CPAP and caffeine I still suffer from chronic fatigue and the Provigil has helped me to maintain some semblance of a normal existence. There are no apparent side effects and the result is to make me feel and act normal versus the side effects of other stimulants such as caffeine.”

Tiredlytired · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2017

“Was prescribed this for sleep apnea. It made me feel horrible and I had weird sleep hallucinations with it. It didn't make me feel awake it just made me feel weird. Disappointed that I still haven't found anything to help me stay awake during the day.”

mddilla · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2017

“So far this medicine works well. One hour after I take the medicine I feel wide awake and more alert than I have felt in years. About 4.5 to 5 hours I usually get a headache but I will stay awake feeling fine. I have noticed that when I go to sleep I sleep much sounder and longer.”

IronArcher · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2016

“...continued: I had no side effects other than very slight nausea, just kept me from overeating if anything. I am 225lb and I am VERY resistant to drugs...most seem to have virtually zero effect (Didn't notice anything from Adderral....NOTHING) so my dosages are normally a bit higher than most. Again, it won't make you superman, but it DOES make me feel human again. NOT a human on meth, but just a normal human being....something I had not felt like for some time. 8/10 only because I wish it did what those reviews and videos claimed. I wish it made me feel like I have MORE energy than someone not taking it.”

DaisyPJs April 12, 2008

Provigil (modafinil): “Helps with daytime alertness and ADD”

Learn more about Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome