User Reviews for Dexedrine

Learn more about Dexedrine.

Narcolepsy 11 reviews 15 medications

8.9
ADHD 55 reviews 36 medications

8.6
Summary of Dexedrine reviews 66 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Dexedrine

For ADHD "Was switched from Adderall XR to generic Dexedrine. I got an ineffective brand of Adderall (yes, some brands are better than others). The positive effects were gone and the negative effects were enhanced. My blood pressure was great, around 102-117 systolic and 75-85 diastolic but my pulse was way too high 110-130. For the most part I loved Dexedrine, it worked very well and without the L-Amphetamine in Adderall my pulse rate was good 85-102. My only complaint was that the length of time it worked was inconsistent. Some days it would last 45 min other days it would last 2 hours. After speaking to my psych doc we decided to switch to Vyvanse instead of having to take 3 or 4 Dexedrine pills a day. Other than length of duration this is great."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

For ADHD "I'm a rare case; I currently am prescribed 180mg of Adderall (90mg IR & 90mg XR). When this was raised to 240mg, I asked to try Dexedrine thinking that after a decade on Adderall, I had simply become tolerant to it. My doc put me on 120mg of Dexedrine. There was a noticeable decline in my focus, and my energy levels (not that's why you should take stimulants) fell off the map. It was smooth. But for me, it was way too smooth. I remember taking 60mg one morning and then going for a hike. I couldn't concentrate on a damn thing, and I was nodding off as I was walking. I guess I should have expected this going from such a high amount of Adderall to a lower dose of Dexedrine (which is absent of levoamphetamine). I would try it again though."

Halo242 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

For ADHD "I was on two 15 mg spanuals a day. I felt great when I began taking them. Way more focused not just at home but at school too. My grades had improved tremendously. I had absolutely. No troubles with this medication. I was taking dexedrine. For a little over 10 years. Due to my other meds I now take I'm unable to continue to take dexedrine. I would recommend. Dexedrine to an adult or child."

BOOG_A_LUV (taken for 10 years or more) April 7, 2016

For ADHD "Dexedrine is okay! When I first took it I was excited and hoped to feel something. I was instantly in a good mood, more focused, and patient. However the come down off this drug is horrible. The depression and sadness start to come back and it's just discouraging that only a medication can band-aid those emotions. I have have felt overstimulated as well. I had a gastric bypass four years ago so my doc said no XR but he put me on four 10mg a day which I feel is too much. I become agitated, irritable, paranoid, panicky, crying, etc. I decreased it to two a day. I feel that this might be too strong of a stimulant for me. I want to try Adderall since it's cheaper on my insurance and it has less dex. We'll see what he says at my next visit."

Lcowan7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

For ADHD "I've been taking 10mg daily for nearly 11 years. It seems to help me focus but sometimes the side effects make me a bit less risk-adverse than I am without the medication."

Bert Andrews February 22, 2016

For ADHD "Been on Vyvanse for 3 years, Adderral XL, & Adderral for another 3 years with limited success. I take a lot of other medications for mania & am always tired in addition to lacking focus...for the first time in years I can watch a movie, read a book, make it through multitasking a workday. Maybe this is what normal is meant to feel like--a world without yawns and easy distractions? Have I truly found a way to make it through a two hour movie? I think a new chapter in my life just opened..."

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid along with Asthma. A previous drug was being used however had to be stopped because of the review and side effects of being suicidal and doing things without worrying about the risk. Hard to explain... Anyways, ever since I started this drug, it has gone on a downhill. I have been using the drug for a very long time now, and to be honest , besides the tingling feeling I get sometimes using or taking a break from this drug, it doesn't help me at all. My parents think, thats it me that has to control ADHD but I cant, and this medicine isn't helping at all. I tried taking more dosage by myself and it still didn't work. Don't recommend at all. Btw I am 18 years old soon 19."

The Soaring Mind January 18, 2016

For ADHD "Hands down the worst medication I've ever tried. My Psychiatrist suggested trying a newer ADHD drug but I was enamored by some of the reviews I read on here so I persuaded him to prescribe me Dexedrine. Well what a big mistake. I was given 10mg of Dexedrine and after two weeks of it working it completely backfired. It completely ruined my cognitive abilities. I couldn't do simple math, my depth perception was off, and my time perception was off as well. I was constantly late to appointments, I had to write down everything on the calendar on my phone otherwise I will forget or think I have more time than I actually had. I would be careful with this medication. It might work for you though."

Wibblet (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For ADHD "Been on 3 other ADD meds. This one seems to work great for me. I can focus stay on task and get my work done. Plus I can sit and relax with out feeling like I have be on the go all the time."

D.M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

For ADHD "Calmed my racing thoughts a lot. Downside is the days I don't take them I feel mentally groggy"

Theothernicknamesaretajen December 14, 2015

For ADHD "My 15 yo son who has innattentive ADHD was taking adderall since 7th grade. He is now in 10th. For the longest time he has been having anger issues, he is easily irritated by other students talking in class, noise on the bus, and his 7 year old sister. I was desperately searching online for meds to help with anger with ADHD and asp and found this site. Reading all the comparisons of adderall and dexedrine, others having the same situation and most improving on the dex I hoped that his problem was the adderall. Went to the doctor told her all of the above. She seemed a little skeptical about it but was willing to give it a try. I don't want to jinx myself or my son but so far so good even helped sister with homework."

Adhdmumsy (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

For ADHD "I have been taking dexedrine for about seven days now and it has definitely helped with my chronic feelings of anxiety - that painful feeling in your chest. This in turn has allowed me to better concentrate on the daily issues at hand then constantly having that feeling of flight or flight regarding any number of daily life issues. Thus far very helpful and I hope to continue down this path - I wish I had tried this drug years ago."

62 year old gentleman (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

For ADHD "Treatment for ADHD save my life. Don't believe all the hype and the stigma around this diagnosis and treatment. It is a real condition there is real treatment and it makes a real and profound difference to the lives of people with this debilitating condition. So don't be afraid to seek help if you think you might have ADHD it is not just childhood illness in in my opinion it generally consists persists in some form for the duration of your life just like any other disease"

addBilly (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2015

For ADHD "I have struggled with ADD for years and was put on a moderate dosage of ritalin in high school. But it gave me anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I ignored my ADD after high school and started dexedrine in college. What a difference! It helps me to focus much better and give me the energy to finish what I start. My procrastination has never been lower. I only give it a 9 because I sometimes need to make myself focus when the meds are an hour or two from wearing off."

avisonB (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For ADHD "Dexedrine worked above and beyond for my ADHD symptoms, outstanding medication."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I am 63 years old. Feel as if I have lost out on many years of living. Always had mental health issues. I managed to work for twenty-five years, off and on. Never was able to articulate my physical and emotional well being very well to a doctor. I was just handed an antidepressant and a sleeping pill. I gave up trying to find an answer to my severe fatigue, insomnia and deep depressions. I would beat myself up, since there has never been any reason, I could pin point as to why I suffered so much. I feel I have slept my life away. Now I am finally HOPEFUL. On low dose dex for one week. I slept a full 8 hours and have a positive feeling of a wonderful 25 years to come! Thanks for all the comments, which have given me a renewed strength!"

Finally hopeful September 7, 2015

For ADHD "I am 39 years old and have been suffering from ADD my whole life. It wasn't until recently I finally figured out what it was. After trying Ritalin which didn't agree with me, and Adderall XR which made me irritable, anti -social and too engaged I read the reviews of this & decided to give it a whirl. I'm only on week 1, but compared to the others I am MUCH more myself with no anxiey! Also, I am shocked at how low of a dose gets the job done. I am on 5mg once daily around noon. You may think you need more but start low & see how much changes right before your very eyes. You get plenty done and still wind down after 4 hours. I sleep great and my appetite is only affected the first 3 hours. I didn't give it a 10 b/c of some memory issues."

Mrssfromwa (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I've been taking dexedrine spansules 15 mg 2 pills at a time, 2-3 times a day for about 30 years for narcolepsy. I'm currently 57 years old. If it weren't for this Rx i would probably never leave my house. Through the years i have tried various alternative meds only to find they don't work as well. Among the alternatives tried are Adderall (made me actuallyy violent); Provigil (absolutely ineffective); and Nuvigil was worse than ineffective...because it gave me the sensation of being high. So i thought it was working and i got behind the wheel of a car...bad idea. Changed back asap. Been on the same dosage for 20 yrs. Side effects: for 10 min every day get bad dry mouth and anxious. Cost is prohibitive."

elegalone (taken for 10 years or more) August 14, 2015

For ADHD "I take 15 mg three times a day along with Ritalin 20 mg three times a day and I am so glad my Doc found this combo!!!! I'm 36 and extremely overweight and I got the got up and go that I never had and the help to keep my mind on very important things and people in my life, like my kids!!"

big momma of 3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015

For Narcolepsy "Dexedrine was very helpful in treating my narcolepsy. It is dependable without making me nervous. I am able to have a better attention span too! I can sit confidentiality at my desk or be in social situations and have confidence that I will not be falling asleep while someone is talking to me again! Dexedrine is a great medicine for narcolepsy."

Happy and Awake (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

For ADHD "I wouldn't use any other type of ADHD medication! Adderall & many of the newer ADHD medications cause agitation & symptoms that make my condition worse. If I didn't use Dexedrine, I wouldn't take medication to treat my ADHD! More people need to educate themselves, on how to treat ADHD. "

RevG (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at 18 years old, I have been taking Dexedrine for a little over a year now. I recommend using Dexedrine because it does a great job of keeping you awake without the nasty side effects that other medicines bring, like Adderall. Dexedrine has really changed my life, I am able to confidently drive and good at work without having to worry about falling asleep. I really wish I had this in High School. For all the younger people out there with narcolepsy ask your doctor to put you on Dexedrine, it's less expensive than Adderall and Vyvanse (Vyvanse didn't work for me I fell asleep several times on it). The side effects I find with it is sometimes it gives me mood swings, most of the time its a feeling of optimism."

Seigfred December 30, 2014

For ADHD "I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however."

RadicalDelusion (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "Along with narcolepsy, I've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been taking dexedrine for the last 4 years. At first it was 5mg tablets which worked for a couple months. As soon as my dose was increased to 10mg spansules a day, my life has been so much easier since then. I can actually concentrate on one thing without wanting to quit in the middle and take a nap. Many side effects including dry mouth almost every day, heart pounding, loss of appetite leading to weight loss, muscles twitching, and severe tiredness if I suddenly stop taking it."

Sleepingstar (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

For ADHD "I have used it for over 15 years. An EEG showed I had quite a bit of extraneous thought, a left and right hemisphere that had identical thought processes and a temporal lobe that was off the chart. Dexedrine changed my life. Unfortunately many Doctors are using outdated/outmoded technology and refuse to prescribe it."

procadman November 13, 2014