User Reviews for Dexedrine

ADHD   8.4
Narcolepsy   8.4

Reviews for Dexedrine

lbee07 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2021

For ADHD: “I have tried all the ADHD medications for my ADD including Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Adderall, Concerta, and Focalin. Dexedrine 15 mg has been the way to go for me!! Not to strong like the others, and helps me get my work done. Great medication was on Adderall XR 30 and felt like I couldn’t breathe definitely don’t recommend the others as they were to strong and quite costly as there were no generics available. Definitely recommend Dexedrine 15mg!”

Pops · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2021

For Narcolepsy: “Have been taking Dexadrine from the days of SKF, and before. Now in my seventies a different pharmacist gave me a generic version from Activa co. which was seem to have no proper drug in it. I mostly felt cheated because there was no helpful effect. I felt lousy and slept away 3 months of my life having no energy I could not function normally as before. I called my pharmacist to report the medication was not working and the spansules weren't even the same colour or size. He said they are cheaper brand. I told him I don't mind paying more for the proper medication I have taken daily for more than 50 years. I refuse to be abused in this way, and will take my next script back to my previous family pharmacist.”

Tava Sucks October 23, 2020

For ADHD: “Teva's 5/10 mg dexedrine tablets appear tainted &/or lack correct active ingredient. It doesn't control symptoms & makes me feel miserable/hostile/angry. I've been taking dexedrine for years, allowing me to function well-except Teva brand. All generics are NOT same. I had the same problem with Teva dexedrine a few years ago & switched pharmacies. Other generic dexedrines worked for another 3 years. This month it was again not working-making me feel miserable/not controlling symptoms. Manufacturer was not on the bottle so I called pharmacy. Yup, Teva! I'd had > 36 bottles of dexedrine since previous negative experience; none Teva: all worked. Of 36 vials, one did not work & made me feel miserable-only one was Teva. Odds (.028) too long 4 coincidence/expectancy effect. Something's wrong with 5/10 mg tablets TEVA's dexedrine. Teva is tainted or some other problem with it. Avoid!”

advice appreciated · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2020

For ADHD: “Have been on dextroamphetamine for a very long time for ADHD. Started with the name brand but switched to generic due to costs. Generics appear to vary widely. Neither Teva or aurobindo work for me at all. Worthless for me. Mallinckrodt works as does the brand name but I can't access Mallinckrodt. Someone has suggested Zenzedi (tablet not capsule). It is a generic-simply named. Anyone have any experience with it? Anyone have similar experience with Teva or aurobindo? Either the inactive ingredients are sufficiently different to cause problems for me or they don't include the same dosage of the active ingredient. Anyone know which? Dexidrine itself has made a huge difference in my life.”

Hot_Potato · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

For ADHD: “It was a pain to get my Dexedrine prescription filled because most pharmacies don't carry it and they have to order it. Compared to Adderall, Dexedrine is very calming since there's no levoamphetamine in the mix, just pure dextroamphetamine. Unfortunately, I was focusing on things that I wanted to do, instead of the things I had to do (and the what I worked on really made a difference). I would like to give it another try just to compare it to Adderall again.”

Scott · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For ADHD: “Helps with depression and anxiety with me! (May not for you)”

D-Well · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

For ADHD: “Been taking the 10 mg spansule Dexedrine for 2 weeks now. Excellent focus and a lot more motivation than before. Minimal side effects after the first couple of days. No real come down for me. I also take 10 mg cipralex at night with no issues. Spansule kicks in about an hour after I take it and starts to fade off about 4-5 hours later.”

Luckeenuggets · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

For ADHD: “I have no official diagnosis yet. I don't remember ever feeling so at peace. My mind is still. I can breathe for the first time. Relax like never before. A wee bit sleepy. This will make me a better, much happier person instead of who I was. some one who was always racing around in circles, chasing my tail.”

Dog · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “I have never had a worse experience on a medication. After having limited success on modafinil, armodafinil, sunosi, and adderall, my doctor prescribed me this Dexedrine dose at 10 mg and it is terrible. I go two- three day stretches without sleeping, have had the most debilitating anxiety of my entire life, and feel like I am going insane. Yes I’m staying awake but it has been the worst time of my entire life.”

Ginny February 2, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at the age of eight I was taking a 5 mg tablets that handled my situation. I was able to be an outgoing loving child. My body was managing medication without falling asleep at inappropriate times. I am now over 70 now taking 15 mg span One twice a day. I am able to function and maintain a high profile professional position. The very worst part of this medication is the price. My parents were paying $5.00 for my medication. After marriage I was paying $15 co-pay then went to $35 co-pay and now it’s$144. I think this is totally unfair and a ridiculous charge for this drug. However I don’t have a choice because it works. I have taken other medication That caused hallucinate ,unable to drive, heart palpitations and feeling like I was on a high all the time however Dexedrine does not create a problem not in the slightest. I do not experience dry mouth, jitters, Hallucination or heart palpitation or any side effects with Dexedrine”

David December 22, 2019

For ADHD: “this medication is very good, I take it first thing in the morning 2 capsules of 10mg and one around noon, in exactly one hour I feel that hit, dopamine increasing in my brain, me being able to focus on everything and multitasks at one time, I was just diagnosed with ADHD before Dexedrine I just could not concentrate on anything it was so so bad. But I can't explain in words the FLASH or Hit you feel after one hour it is tremendous, I feel so happy, everything I see, I see with happy eyes. Besides all that positive facts I mentioned I really have to say it has severe side effects. First day I took only 10 mg capsule after a few hours that it kick off I had an anxiety attack like I have never had in my life I felt like my chest is going to explode that feeling was so strong that I had to take Xanax. Besides that I have problems falling a sleep, some nights I don't even sleep at all. As well my hands start shaking and I feel disturbed and nervous.”

Alfred_swe November 2, 2019

For ADHD: “I was diagnosed with ADHD six months ago. I am 30 years old. My whole life has been a big problem with taking school, finance and friendship seriously. I have, on the other hand, been a person with a good mood, charm and with a sense of adventure. All these are good qualities you think? Not really. I've developed alcoholism, I've never had a financial surplus, I've lost touch with most of my good friends, and I've never accomplished anything I've set myself the goal of. I began to understand why my life has become so miserable. I started exposing myself for all kinds of things - for the first time I felt solid - a sense of integrity. At the same time, it was a great stress. After a month, I began to think that my whole life had just been a big joke. Before you start taking this medicine: Be prepared to experience identity disorder NEGATIVE: My hair has gone from thick to thin, my skin is not so smooth anymore and sometimes sleep can be very difficult.”

mr robot · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2019

For ADHD: “It's like coffee 2.0 without the jitterness from the other racemics. It's the best tool, which was given to me. I'm thankful for this kind of drug.”

thomas aquinas April 9, 2019

For ADHD: “The amphetamine molecule has two mirror images of itself. Dexedrine is only one of those images whereas Adderall is both. However, Dexedrine is cheaper and just as tried and true as Adderall. Some Dexedrine generic tablets are scored and come in doses as low as 5mg giving you the ideal opportunity to discus proper individual dosing with your doctor. When I was a kid my doctor had me on too high of a dose. Now I take Dexedrine with my breakfast and don't run into any problems with one cup of coffee. Some of the therapeutic properties of Dexedrine diminish, but the core CNS activity stays pretty reliable at the same dose in my experience. strongly recommend monitoring your kid's prescription bottle. Sometimes smart kids can make mistakes.”

DivingWhileADHD November 26, 2018

For ADHD: “This medication is hard to find, which is unfortunate because, quite simply, it works on some ADHD people when other more common medications do not. Dextroamphetamine (generic)/Zenzedi (brand name) acts more on dopamine than norepinephrine. Adderall, which is dextroamp and levoamp, the latter affecting mostly norepinephrine, made me tired and flat--and hungry. Kind of a paradoxical reaction. It helped my emotional overreactivity, but not other ADHD symptoms like initiation of tasks and related anxiety/irritability, procrastination, and negative ruminations (mentally getting "stuck"). Obviously, my brain needs help with dopamine, and too much norepinephrine is dulling and unpleasantly sedating. Those with similar reactions to Adderall (and/or methylphenidates like Ritalin) might want to give Dextroamphetamine a try. It feels like a totally different class of medication than Adderall to my (admittedly atypical) brain, and works great.”

MATTHEW September 14, 2018

For ADHD: “Great for focus.”

Squirrel · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2018

For ADHD: “Been on it for 21 years being diagnosed at 25. First thing...if your a man and your not getting your significant other pregnant....WATCH OUT!! They can finish the swimmers. Being on same 50 mg can somedays be fine or cause me to clench my teeth. It depends on proper eating and stress reduction. They used to give me huge energy to start but now it's more focusability than anything. Don't get me wrong...these are not a cure for stopping from losing your keys.”

Ggahagan March 21, 2018

For ADHD: “This is the one--and I only wish I'd found it 20 years ago. I have been on and off Adderall for years, though I never loved it. I had a hard time being compliant taking it, because I never felt like myself. After that, I tried Ritalin, but woah, I don't want that experience again unless it's 2 AM at a rave! Years later, a psych doc told me that she thought Dexedrine might be the ticket. I finally picked up a prescription a few days ago, and wow. Un-medicated, it's like I have an angry, frustrated, and stressed out little leprechaun inside me, and on the Dexedrine, he's slowly being replaced by a peaceful Buddha--and believe me, I've never experienced "Peaceful Buddha" before in my life---except maybe when I'm in nature on my mountain bike, etc. If you're not loving Adderall for similar reasons, I highly recommend trying the Dex. It's been a revelation. I rated it only 9 stars, because I feel spacey for the first few hours.”

Sf100 March 3, 2018

For ADHD: “I began treatment for bipolar 2 years ago. It has been successful. I still had severe brain fog, impatience, and lethargy though. Psych dr diagnosed ADHD on top of bipolar. Tried Vyvanse, Ritalin, and Dexedrine. Dex won for me. 10mg in am and 5 at lunch and dinner. Much more patient and clear-headed.”

JoDominguez · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

For ADHD: “So I started Zoloft in my 20s it worked really great for a couple of years. So When I got any depression flare-ups again, I was put on antidepressants, but noticed they weren’t working anymore, “I still feel those symptoms “sadness, low self-esteem, no energy to do anything, forgetting things, procrastinating a lot, hard to concentrate and finish a task. I wondered if I had ADD. It all pointed to Adult ADD. I told my doc of my beliefs and maybe I was misdiagnosed. I tried more antidepressants which was having no affect. Then my therapist convinced my Dr. prescribing me Dexedrine 10mg just in the morning. The first day I took my pill. My eyes were open, the energy was there couldn’t believe it, it worked. Now the 3rd day w/ just one 10mg pill in morning stopped working . In my opinion I believe a lot of people are misdiagnosed, thinking they have depression instead of ADD or ADHD”

underdogoutofthefog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2018

For ADHD: “I have visited this site for years reviewing people’s posts, always in hope that just maybe that medication would work for my severe inattentive ADHD and narcolepsy. I’ve been on vyvanse, adderall IR and XR , focalin IR and XR, any med you can name I’ve probably been prescribed. I am here to tell those that feel uncertain about this med and have suffered for years with the side effects from other meds that dextroamphetamine has changed my life. I went from an anxious, failing college student to graduating, being able to socialize like I always knew I was capable of, and pursuing my dream career (and no side effects). If anyone can relate to this post I hope it helps you. Don’t give up hope!”

KSound · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2018

For Narcolepsy: “I have had deal with narcolepsy add and sleep apnea since 16years old till 66 years old. Dexadrine has been much more tolerated for me than ritalin or adderall. Ritalin has less tension confusion actions and decisions ER Dexadrine is far best but not as good as nuvigil”

Coltons12 September 14, 2017

For ADHD: “When I was 12 years old. I woke up at 2 in the morning to blindingly agonizing pain, bad enough that I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs. But when I tried to get out of bed I found my strength fail me and plummeted to the ground hitting my head on my night table. My parents found me and brought me to the hospital. I only found out years later when reading a list of side effects and overdose symptoms just how harmful this drug is. The word limit doesn't allow me to even scratch the surface. I will say that it has left serious physiological scars that decades later have still not healed. I cannot deny that it did help me pay attention in class. But I would still advise any parent that loves their child to STAY CLEAR!”

Sabachan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2017

For ADHD: “I am 20 and was only diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago. I tried Ritalin first and it did nothing for me, but then I was prescribed dexedrine and it has been a life saver. There's definitely some odd but kind of fun side effects for me. I get extremely into whatever I'm doing, which is super helpful for school, but sometimes a bit awkward in social situations because I enjoy conversation a little too much and worry that I annoy people. It makes me really ambitious and I feel the need to learn/accomplish things while I'm on it, but not physical things unfortunately, like working out or cleaning haha. I usually start doing homework, planning things or doing research. It's going to help me succeed in school so much more now.”

WSHarris October 20, 2016

For ADHD: “I have been on about 100 mg. of dexedrine for over 20 years and it always worked great until a few years ago, when my drug company stopped sending me the TEVA generic. I never had problems with generics before but the Activis brand did nothing for me. I was told that TEVA was made by the same drug manufacturer that makes the name brand so I payed extra for the name brand and that does not appear to be working either. I have been told that TEVA no longer makes dexedrine so I am not sure what I should do. Also, I was told that the FDA no longer allows doses over 60 mg. but I am sure that is true. It could be my insurance company does not want to pay for more than a standard dose.”