User Reviews for Dexedrine to treat ADHD

Dexedrine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Dexedrine

D-Well · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“Been taking the 10 mg spansule Dexedrine for 2 weeks now. Excellent focus and a lot more motivation than before. Minimal side effects after the first couple of days. No real come down for me. I also take 10 mg cipralex at night with no issues. Spansule kicks in about an hour after I take it and starts to fade off about 4-5 hours later.”

Luckeenuggets · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“I have no official diagnosis yet. I don't remember ever feeling so at peace. My mind is still. I can breathe for the first time. Relax like never before. A wee bit sleepy. This will make me a better, much happier person instead of who I was. some one who was always racing around in circles, chasing my tail.”

David December 22, 2019

“this medication is very good, I take it first thing in the morning 2 capsules of 10mg and one around noon, in exactly one hour I feel that hit, dopamine increasing in my brain, me being able to focus on everything and multitasks at one time, I was just diagnosed with ADHD before Dexedrine I just could not concentrate on anything it was so so bad. But I can't explain in words the FLASH or Hit you feel after one hour it is tremendous, I feel so happy, everything I see, I see with happy eyes. Besides all that positive facts I mentioned I really have to say it has severe side effects. First day I took only 10 mg capsule after a few hours that it kick off I had an anxiety attack like I have never had in my life I felt like my chest is going to explode that feeling was so strong that I had to take Xanax. Besides that I have problems falling a sleep, some nights I don't even sleep at all. As well my hands start shaking and I feel disturbed and nervous.”

Alfred_swe November 2, 2019

“I was diagnosed with ADHD six months ago. I am 30 years old. My whole life has been a big problem with taking school, finance and friendship seriously. I have, on the other hand, been a person with a good mood, charm and with a sense of adventure. All these are good qualities you think? Not really. I've developed alcoholism, I've never had a financial surplus, I've lost touch with most of my good friends, and I've never accomplished anything I've set myself the goal of. I began to understand why my life has become so miserable. I started exposing myself for all kinds of things - for the first time I felt solid - a sense of integrity. At the same time, it was a great stress. After a month, I began to think that my whole life had just been a big joke. Before you start taking this medicine: Be prepared to experience identity disorder NEGATIVE: My hair has gone from thick to thin, my skin is not so smooth anymore and sometimes sleep can be very difficult.”

mr robot · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2019

“It's like coffee 2.0 without the jitterness from the other racemics. It's the best tool, which was given to me. I'm thankful for this kind of drug.”

thomas aquinas April 9, 2019

“The amphetamine molecule has two mirror images of itself. Dexedrine is only one of those images whereas Adderall is both. However, Dexedrine is cheaper and just as tried and true as Adderall. Some Dexedrine generic tablets are scored and come in doses as low as 5mg giving you the ideal opportunity to discus proper individual dosing with your doctor. When I was a kid my doctor had me on too high of a dose. Now I take Dexedrine with my breakfast and don't run into any problems with one cup of coffee. Some of the therapeutic properties of Dexedrine diminish, but the core CNS activity stays pretty reliable at the same dose in my experience. strongly recommend monitoring your kid's prescription bottle. Sometimes smart kids can make mistakes.”

DivingWhileADHD November 26, 2018

“This medication is hard to find, which is unfortunate because, quite simply, it works on some ADHD people when other more common medications do not. Dextroamphetamine (generic)/Zenzedi (brand name) acts more on dopamine than norepinephrine. Adderall, which is dextroamp and levoamp, the latter affecting mostly norepinephrine, made me tired and flat--and hungry. Kind of a paradoxical reaction. It helped my emotional overreactivity, but not other ADHD symptoms like initiation of tasks and related anxiety/irritability, procrastination, and negative ruminations (mentally getting "stuck"). Obviously, my brain needs help with dopamine, and too much norepinephrine is dulling and unpleasantly sedating. Those with similar reactions to Adderall (and/or methylphenidates like Ritalin) might want to give Dextroamphetamine a try. It feels like a totally different class of medication than Adderall to my (admittedly atypical) brain, and works great.”

MATTHEW September 14, 2018

“Great for focus.”

Squirrel · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2018

“Been on it for 21 years being diagnosed at 25. First thing...if your a man and your not getting your significant other pregnant....WATCH OUT!! They can finish the swimmers. Being on same 50 mg can somedays be fine or cause me to clench my teeth. It depends on proper eating and stress reduction. They used to give me huge energy to start but now it's more focusability than anything. Don't get me wrong...these are not a cure for stopping from losing your keys.”

Ggahagan March 21, 2018

“This is the one--and I only wish I'd found it 20 years ago. I have been on and off Adderall for years, though I never loved it. I had a hard time being compliant taking it, because I never felt like myself. After that, I tried Ritalin, but woah, I don't want that experience again unless it's 2 AM at a rave! Years later, a psych doc told me that she thought Dexedrine might be the ticket. I finally picked up a prescription a few days ago, and wow. Un-medicated, it's like I have an angry, frustrated, and stressed out little leprechaun inside me, and on the Dexedrine, he's slowly being replaced by a peaceful Buddha--and believe me, I've never experienced "Peaceful Buddha" before in my life---except maybe when I'm in nature on my mountain bike, etc. If you're not loving Adderall for similar reasons, I highly recommend trying the Dex. It's been a revelation. I rated it only 9 stars, because I feel spacey for the first few hours.”

Sf100 March 3, 2018

“I began treatment for bipolar 2 years ago. It has been successful. I still had severe brain fog, impatience, and lethargy though. Psych dr diagnosed ADHD on top of bipolar. Tried Vyvanse, Ritalin, and Dexedrine. Dex won for me. 10mg in am and 5 at lunch and dinner. Much more patient and clear-headed.”

JoDominguez · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“So I started Zoloft in my 20s it worked really great for a couple of years. So When I got any depression flare-ups again, I was put on antidepressants, but noticed they weren’t working anymore, “I still feel those symptoms “sadness, low self-esteem, no energy to do anything, forgetting things, procrastinating a lot, hard to concentrate and finish a task. I wondered if I had ADD. It all pointed to Adult ADD. I told my doc of my beliefs and maybe I was misdiagnosed. I tried more antidepressants which was having no affect. Then my therapist convinced my Dr. prescribing me Dexedrine 10mg just in the morning. The first day I took my pill. My eyes were open, the energy was there couldn’t believe it, it worked. Now the 3rd day w/ just one 10mg pill in morning stopped working . In my opinion I believe a lot of people are misdiagnosed, thinking they have depression instead of ADD or ADHD”

underdogoutofthefog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2018

“I have visited this site for years reviewing people’s posts, always in hope that just maybe that medication would work for my severe inattentive ADHD and narcolepsy. I’ve been on vyvanse, adderall IR and XR , focalin IR and XR, any med you can name I’ve probably been prescribed. I am here to tell those that feel uncertain about this med and have suffered for years with the side effects from other meds that dextroamphetamine has changed my life. I went from an anxious, failing college student to graduating, being able to socialize like I always knew I was capable of, and pursuing my dream career (and no side effects). If anyone can relate to this post I hope it helps you. Don’t give up hope!”

Coltons12 September 14, 2017

“When I was 12 years old. I woke up at 2 in the morning to blindingly agonizing pain, bad enough that I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs. But when I tried to get out of bed I found my strength fail me and plummeted to the ground hitting my head on my night table. My parents found me and brought me to the hospital. I only found out years later when reading a list of side effects and overdose symptoms just how harmful this drug is. The word limit doesn't allow me to even scratch the surface. I will say that it has left serious physiological scars that decades later have still not healed. I cannot deny that it did help me pay attention in class. But I would still advise any parent that loves their child to STAY CLEAR!”

Sabachan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2017

“I am 20 and was only diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago. I tried Ritalin first and it did nothing for me, but then I was prescribed dexedrine and it has been a life saver. There's definitely some odd but kind of fun side effects for me. I get extremely into whatever I'm doing, which is super helpful for school, but sometimes a bit awkward in social situations because I enjoy conversation a little too much and worry that I annoy people. It makes me really ambitious and I feel the need to learn/accomplish things while I'm on it, but not physical things unfortunately, like working out or cleaning haha. I usually start doing homework, planning things or doing research. It's going to help me succeed in school so much more now.”

WSHarris October 20, 2016

“I have been on about 100 mg. of dexedrine for over 20 years and it always worked great until a few years ago, when my drug company stopped sending me the TEVA generic. I never had problems with generics before but the Activis brand did nothing for me. I was told that TEVA was made by the same drug manufacturer that makes the name brand so I payed extra for the name brand and that does not appear to be working either. I have been told that TEVA no longer makes dexedrine so I am not sure what I should do. Also, I was told that the FDA no longer allows doses over 60 mg. but I am sure that is true. It could be my insurance company does not want to pay for more than a standard dose.”

Hamerman · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2016

“Have been taking Dexedrine spansules (10 mg) for over 2 years,three times per day.I never knew i had rank ADHD all my life,problems with school,the law,i am 47,and have noticed my ambition for life has increased,having more energy,i used to be tired alot,complaining,generally overall agitated at the same time,as well i have many comorbidies to deal with,but fortunately,don't have to take any anxiety meds. Dexedrine is all i know,and i am satisfied with the results.”

Samohigh · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2016

“I absolutely love Dexedrine! It doesn't give me the crash that adderall has and it really keeps me focused on the tasks at hand. I was able to throughly apply for a gig and landed it and I wonder if I would on the alternatives. I hear they're trying to rid away of Dexedrine to switch over to Vyvance but since that drug has no generic and the two are about 99% similar I'm guessing it is more for profit reasoning. I'm telling everyone switch over you won't regret it. 1 15mg er/day should be the max for those considering switching. I read somewhere on here a doc prescribed about 100mg which is too much and the reasoning for your manic state. Go for trusted generic brands like Sandoz and Mallinkrodt. Teva IS THE WORST. ”

Jwright7784 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2016

“Was switched from Adderall XR to generic Dexedrine. I got an ineffective brand of Adderall (yes, some brands are better than others). The positive effects were gone and the negative effects were enhanced. My blood pressure was great, around 102-117 systolic and 75-85 diastolic but my pulse was way too high 110-130. For the most part I loved Dexedrine, it worked very well and without the L-Amphetamine in Adderall my pulse rate was good 85-102. My only complaint was that the length of time it worked was inconsistent. Some days it would last 45 min other days it would last 2 hours. After speaking to my psych doc we decided to switch to Vyvanse instead of having to take 3 or 4 Dexedrine pills a day. Other than length of duration this is great.”

Halo242 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2016

“I'm a rare case; I currently am prescribed 180mg of Adderall (90mg IR & 90mg XR). When this was raised to 240mg, I asked to try Dexedrine thinking that after a decade on Adderall, I had simply become tolerant to it. My doc put me on 120mg of Dexedrine. There was a noticeable decline in my focus, and my energy levels (not that's why you should take stimulants) fell off the map. It was smooth. But for me, it was way too smooth. I remember taking 60mg one morning and then going for a hike. I couldn't concentrate on a damn thing, and I was nodding off as I was walking. I guess I should have expected this going from such a high amount of Adderall to a lower dose of Dexedrine (which is absent of levoamphetamine). I would try it again though.”

BOOG_A_LUV · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2016

“I was on two 15 mg spanuals a day. I felt great when I began taking them. Way more focused not just at home but at school too. My grades had improved tremendously. I had absolutely. No troubles with this medication. I was taking dexedrine. For a little over 10 years. Due to my other meds I now take I'm unable to continue to take dexedrine. I would recommend. Dexedrine to an adult or child.”

Lcowan7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2016

“Dexedrine is okay! When I first took it I was excited and hoped to feel something. I was instantly in a good mood, more focused, and patient. However the come down off this drug is horrible. The depression and sadness start to come back and it's just discouraging that only a medication can band-aid those emotions. I have have felt overstimulated as well. I had a gastric bypass four years ago so my doc said no XR but he put me on four 10mg a day which I feel is too much. I become agitated, irritable, paranoid, panicky, crying, etc. I decreased it to two a day. I feel that this might be too strong of a stimulant for me. I want to try Adderall since it's cheaper on my insurance and it has less dex. We'll see what he says at my next visit.”

Bert Andrews February 22, 2016

“I've been taking 10mg daily for nearly 11 years. It seems to help me focus but sometimes the side effects make me a bit less risk-adverse than I am without the medication.”

crazydude81 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2016

“Been on Vyvanse for 3 years, Adderral XL, & Adderral for another 3 years with limited success. I take a lot of other medications for mania & am always tired in addition to lacking focus...for the first time in years I can watch a movie, read a book, make it through multitasking a workday. Maybe this is what normal is meant to feel like--a world without yawns and easy distractions? Have I truly found a way to make it through a two hour movie? I think a new chapter in my life just opened...”

The Soaring Mind January 18, 2016

“I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid along with Asthma. A previous drug was being used however had to be stopped because of the review and side effects of being suicidal and doing things without worrying about the risk. Hard to explain... Anyways, ever since I started this drug, it has gone on a downhill. I have been using the drug for a very long time now, and to be honest , besides the tingling feeling I get sometimes using or taking a break from this drug, it doesn't help me at all. My parents think, thats it me that has to control ADHD but I cant, and this medicine isn't helping at all. I tried taking more dosage by myself and it still didn't work. Don't recommend at all. Btw I am 18 years old soon 19.”