User Reviews for Dexedrine to treat ADHD

Dexedrine has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 74 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 81% of those users who reviewed Dexedrine reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Dexedrine Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Dexedrine

Kf3355705 · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2021

“I was just switched from Vyvanse 70mg to Zenzedi (Dextroamphetamine). I haven't even picked it up from the pharmacy yet but would love some input from others who know more about Dextroamphetamine. I'd like to know if it works well for most people and what are some of the pros & cons in comparison to Vyvanse?”

lbee07 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2021

“I have tried all the ADHD medications for my ADD including Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Adderall, Concerta, and Focalin. Dexedrine 15 mg has been the way to go for me!! Not to strong like the others, and helps me get my work done. Great medication was on Adderall XR 30 and felt like I couldn’t breathe definitely don’t recommend the others as they were to strong and quite costly as there were no generics available. Definitely recommend Dexedrine 15mg!”

Tava Sucks October 23, 2020

“Teva's 5/10 mg dexedrine tablets appear tainted &/or lack correct active ingredient. It doesn't control symptoms & makes me feel miserable/hostile/angry. I've been taking dexedrine for years, allowing me to function well-except Teva brand. All generics are NOT same. I had the same problem with Teva dexedrine a few years ago & switched pharmacies. Other generic dexedrines worked for another 3 years. This month it was again not working-making me feel miserable/not controlling symptoms. Manufacturer was not on the bottle so I called pharmacy. Yup, Teva! I'd had > 36 bottles of dexedrine since previous negative experience; none Teva: all worked. Of 36 vials, one did not work & made me feel miserable-only one was Teva. Odds (.028) too long 4 coincidence/expectancy effect. Something's wrong with 5/10 mg tablets TEVA's dexedrine. Teva is tainted or some other problem with it. Avoid!”

underdogoutofthefog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2018

“I have visited this site for years reviewing people’s posts, always in hope that just maybe that medication would work for my severe inattentive ADHD and narcolepsy. I’ve been on vyvanse, adderall IR and XR , focalin IR and XR, any med you can name I’ve probably been prescribed. I am here to tell those that feel uncertain about this med and have suffered for years with the side effects from other meds that dextroamphetamine has changed my life. I went from an anxious, failing college student to graduating, being able to socialize like I always knew I was capable of, and pursuing my dream career (and no side effects). If anyone can relate to this post I hope it helps you. Don’t give up hope!”

DivingWhileADHD November 26, 2018

“This medication is hard to find, which is unfortunate because, quite simply, it works on some ADHD people when other more common medications do not. Dextroamphetamine (generic)/Zenzedi (brand name) acts more on dopamine than norepinephrine. Adderall, which is dextroamp and levoamp, the latter affecting mostly norepinephrine, made me tired and flat--and hungry. Kind of a paradoxical reaction. It helped my emotional overreactivity, but not other ADHD symptoms like initiation of tasks and related anxiety/irritability, procrastination, and negative ruminations (mentally getting "stuck"). Obviously, my brain needs help with dopamine, and too much norepinephrine is dulling and unpleasantly sedating. Those with similar reactions to Adderall (and/or methylphenidates like Ritalin) might want to give Dextroamphetamine a try. It feels like a totally different class of medication than Adderall to my (admittedly atypical) brain, and works great.”

Sim123 April 14, 2014

“Great medicine, I recently restarted this medicine after 10 years and I feel normal again. This medicine has given me great peace in my life. I feel calm and collected and I'm quickly understanding what its like to have "free time" I insist that people who find results using this medicine ensure those in government understand the increase in quality of life we are all experiencing. I've rated this medicine 10/10 purely because any cons I've experienced are meaningless compared to been given a life.”

Hummer Guy August 30, 2013

“This is a wonderful medication. I am so happy I switched from Adderall. I find the focus and concentration to be awesome. Without a doubt it is the cleanest feeling ADHD medications on the market. If you have co-morbid anxiety disorders, this is the medicine to go for. I always felt anxious on Adderal or Ritalin, but the Dexedrine is so smooth that I find my anxiety is being helped! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ADHD, especially when others have caused increased agitation. I believe this is the best ADHD medicine on the market.”

RadicalDelusion · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2014

“I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however.”

Ggahagan March 21, 2018

“This is the one--and I only wish I'd found it 20 years ago. I have been on and off Adderall for years, though I never loved it. I had a hard time being compliant taking it, because I never felt like myself. After that, I tried Ritalin, but woah, I don't want that experience again unless it's 2 AM at a rave! Years later, a psych doc told me that she thought Dexedrine might be the ticket. I finally picked up a prescription a few days ago, and wow. Un-medicated, it's like I have an angry, frustrated, and stressed out little leprechaun inside me, and on the Dexedrine, he's slowly being replaced by a peaceful Buddha--and believe me, I've never experienced "Peaceful Buddha" before in my life---except maybe when I'm in nature on my mountain bike, etc. If you're not loving Adderall for similar reasons, I highly recommend trying the Dex. It's been a revelation. I rated it only 9 stars, because I feel spacey for the first few hours.”

Aria28 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2014

“I would suggest anyone on this, to stop or take a break once you've noticed your reasoning, memory recall abilities becoming hindered. Even though I'm happy with the benefits of focus, it's not worth losing your short-term memory. Overtime, I noticed my math skills declined, followed by my word recall, spelling and now I can't remember stories or study material. It's extremely debilitating, I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the side effects.”

TB-303 December 23, 2013

“I'm 46 and was diagnosed with ADHD 2 times when I was a kid but never took the medicine. My life's always felt out of control and emotional roller coaster. I tried Adderall first but it made me to jumpy. I switched to Dextroamphetamine and once I got past the first week and up to my 20 mg a day everything became so much easier to deal with in life. Less stress, better sleep at night and makes me feel "normal". Best medicine in the world but the cost is absolutely ridiculous as I have no insurance.”

Alfred_swe November 2, 2019

“I was diagnosed with ADHD six months ago. I am 30 years old. My whole life has been a big problem with taking school, finance and friendship seriously. I have, on the other hand, been a person with a good mood, charm and with a sense of adventure. All these are good qualities you think? Not really. I've developed alcoholism, I've never had a financial surplus, I've lost touch with most of my good friends, and I've never accomplished anything I've set myself the goal of. I began to understand why my life has become so miserable. I started exposing myself for all kinds of things - for the first time I felt solid - a sense of integrity. At the same time, it was a great stress. After a month, I began to think that my whole life had just been a big joke. Before you start taking this medicine: Be prepared to experience identity disorder NEGATIVE: My hair has gone from thick to thin, my skin is not so smooth anymore and sometimes sleep can be very difficult.”

marymcg July 11, 2013

“My son is now 9. Since 4 years old we have tried every single (literally!) ADHD medication on the market and every single (literally!) medication was never without any serious side effects. My sons specialist suggested Dexedrine as the very last alternative before trying antidepressants. I was hopelessly optimistic, but this medication is truly a gift. I don't know how else to describe it other than being "smooth" and without it I don't know what we would do. His specialist basically said this medicine is a more pure form of amphetamine than the other name brands on the market. If you have tried medicine after medicine....give this a try. It has saved my son and our family.”

Webmaster-Texas March 14, 2008

“tried adderall, ritalin, etc. since I have co-morbid anxiety they made me "tweek". Very anxiety provoking. Dexadrine, however, proved to be the exception. It's feel is more relaxed and focused. I take less of my Klonipan and Xanax because of the feeling of control and the ablitly to finish tasks. I am glad I researched and suggested it to my doctor, who by the way now is a believer in dexedrine for patients who do not respond to adderall and ritalin.”

Luckeenuggets · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“I have no official diagnosis yet. I don't remember ever feeling so at peace. My mind is still. I can breathe for the first time. Relax like never before. A wee bit sleepy. This will make me a better, much happier person instead of who I was. some one who was always racing around in circles, chasing my tail.”

Sauce3000 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2013

“Adderall 30mg/day = you feel like a genius, work hard, EYES OPEN WIDE. But at the end of the work day, I still couldn't stop myself from falling asleep on the skytrain at around 4:30 pm when I try to read. Don't think it helped much with depression and anxiety. Dexedrine 3 10mg/day = You have tunnel vision, Focused, block out distractions, helps with my severe anxiety. I think the depression is pretty under control too. Can read all day if I want. Could have really used this when I began my studies, 4 years ago! Not a month ago, with one course.... Either one, I think you perform better at work and school, but Adderall just wore off, so studying after work, you would still need coffee, or a power nap”

crazydude81 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2016

“Been on Vyvanse for 3 years, Adderral XL, & Adderral for another 3 years with limited success. I take a lot of other medications for mania & am always tired in addition to lacking focus...for the first time in years I can watch a movie, read a book, make it through multitasking a workday. Maybe this is what normal is meant to feel like--a world without yawns and easy distractions? Have I truly found a way to make it through a two hour movie? I think a new chapter in my life just opened...”

David December 22, 2019

“this medication is very good, I take it first thing in the morning 2 capsules of 10mg and one around noon, in exactly one hour I feel that hit, dopamine increasing in my brain, me being able to focus on everything and multitasks at one time, I was just diagnosed with ADHD before Dexedrine I just could not concentrate on anything it was so so bad. But I can't explain in words the FLASH or Hit you feel after one hour it is tremendous, I feel so happy, everything I see, I see with happy eyes. Besides all that positive facts I mentioned I really have to say it has severe side effects. First day I took only 10 mg capsule after a few hours that it kick off I had an anxiety attack like I have never had in my life I felt like my chest is going to explode that feeling was so strong that I had to take Xanax. Besides that I have problems falling a sleep, some nights I don't even sleep at all. As well my hands start shaking and I feel disturbed and nervous.”

advice appreciated · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2020

“Have been on dextroamphetamine for a very long time for ADHD. Started with the name brand but switched to generic due to costs. Generics appear to vary widely. Neither Teva or aurobindo work for me at all. Worthless for me. Mallinckrodt works as does the brand name but I can't access Mallinckrodt. Someone has suggested Zenzedi (tablet not capsule). It is a generic-simply named. Anyone have any experience with it? Anyone have similar experience with Teva or aurobindo? Either the inactive ingredients are sufficiently different to cause problems for me or they don't include the same dosage of the active ingredient. Anyone know which? Dexidrine itself has made a huge difference in my life.”

Hamerman · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2016

“Have been taking Dexedrine spansules (10 mg) for over 2 years,three times per day.I never knew i had rank ADHD all my life,problems with school,the law,i am 47,and have noticed my ambition for life has increased,having more energy,i used to be tired alot,complaining,generally overall agitated at the same time,as well i have many comorbidies to deal with,but fortunately,don't have to take any anxiety meds. Dexedrine is all i know,and i am satisfied with the results.”

JoDominguez · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“So I started Zoloft in my 20s it worked really great for a couple of years. So When I got any depression flare-ups again, I was put on antidepressants, but noticed they weren’t working anymore, “I still feel those symptoms “sadness, low self-esteem, no energy to do anything, forgetting things, procrastinating a lot, hard to concentrate and finish a task. I wondered if I had ADD. It all pointed to Adult ADD. I told my doc of my beliefs and maybe I was misdiagnosed. I tried more antidepressants which was having no affect. Then my therapist convinced my Dr. prescribing me Dexedrine 10mg just in the morning. The first day I took my pill. My eyes were open, the energy was there couldn’t believe it, it worked. Now the 3rd day w/ just one 10mg pill in morning stopped working . In my opinion I believe a lot of people are misdiagnosed, thinking they have depression instead of ADD or ADHD”

Sabachan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2017

“I am 20 and was only diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago. I tried Ritalin first and it did nothing for me, but then I was prescribed dexedrine and it has been a life saver. There's definitely some odd but kind of fun side effects for me. I get extremely into whatever I'm doing, which is super helpful for school, but sometimes a bit awkward in social situations because I enjoy conversation a little too much and worry that I annoy people. It makes me really ambitious and I feel the need to learn/accomplish things while I'm on it, but not physical things unfortunately, like working out or cleaning haha. I usually start doing homework, planning things or doing research. It's going to help me succeed in school so much more now.”

RevG · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2015

“I wouldn't use any other type of ADHD medication! Adderall & many of the newer ADHD medications cause agitation & symptoms that make my condition worse. If I didn't use Dexedrine, I wouldn't take medication to treat my ADHD! More people need to educate themselves, on how to treat ADHD. ”

Hot_Potato · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

“It was a pain to get my Dexedrine prescription filled because most pharmacies don't carry it and they have to order it. Compared to Adderall, Dexedrine is very calming since there's no levoamphetamine in the mix, just pure dextroamphetamine. Unfortunately, I was focusing on things that I wanted to do, instead of the things I had to do (and the what I worked on really made a difference). I would like to give it another try just to compare it to Adderall again.”

that kathydee lady · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 13, 2014

“This was one of many I tried. I was more satisfied with this one than any of the others. I never had headaches(with some I had terrible headaches!) the time release worked very well. Overall I rate this medicine the best in it's category.”

Wolverine1999 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 27, 2014

“This worked from the very second I started on it 5 years ago; Helped me focus like never before, although being someone with OCD who noticed most things anyway, this magnified it 10 fold. Gave a reserve of energy that helped even when tired. Only side-effects were that you build up a tolerance rather quickly when it comes to the original effect, I began to grind my teeth as I slept, and Had the worst dry mouth ever...could drink a gallon of water in 2 minutes and still have the driest mouth ever. Would recommend.”

MaximillianL November 30, 2013

“Dexedrine is a SUPERB medication for controlling ADHD Impulsivity. It's a 100% smooth and clean ride compared to Adderall. Unfortunately for me though I lack motivation so Adderall is a better choice for me. I did rate this out of Symptom control. If Dexedrine motivated like Adderall does it would literally be the perfect medication. Pros: Superior Focus Reduced Impulsive decisions the best. Side effects are minimal compared to Adderall Cons: Lacks motivational Kick that Adderall delivers. Only comes in 5MG, 10MG, & 15MG Capsules and is expensive. ”

addBilly · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 15, 2015

“Treatment for ADHD save my life. Don't believe all the hype and the stigma around this diagnosis and treatment. It is a real condition there is real treatment and it makes a real and profound difference to the lives of people with this debilitating condition. So don't be afraid to seek help if you think you might have ADHD it is not just childhood illness in in my opinion it generally consists persists in some form for the duration of your life just like any other disease”