User Reviews for Dexedrine

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Dexedrine.

Dexedrine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Dexedrine to treat ADHD

"When I was 12 years old. I woke up at 2 in the morning to blindingly agonizing pain, bad enough that I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs. But when I tried to get out of bed I found my strength fail me and plummeted to the ground hitting my head on my night table. My parents found me and brought me to the hospital. I only found out years later when reading a list of side effects and overdose symptoms just how harmful this drug is. The word limit doesn't allow me to even scratch the surface. I will say that it has left serious physiological scars that decades later have still not healed. I cannot deny that it did help me pay attention in class. But I would still advise any parent that loves their child to STAY CLEAR!"

Coltons12 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 20 and was only diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago. I tried Ritalin first and it did nothing for me, but then I was prescribed dexedrine and it has been a life saver. There's definitely some odd but kind of fun side effects for me. I get extremely into whatever I'm doing, which is super helpful for school, but sometimes a bit awkward in social situations because I enjoy conversation a little too much and worry that I annoy people. It makes me really ambitious and I feel the need to learn/accomplish things while I'm on it, but not physical things unfortunately, like working out or cleaning haha. I usually start doing homework, planning things or doing research. It's going to help me succeed in school so much more now."

Sabachan (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on about 100 mg. of dexedrine for over 20 years and it always worked great until a few years ago, when my drug company stopped sending me the TEVA generic. I never had problems with generics before but the Activis brand did nothing for me. I was told that TEVA was made by the same drug manufacturer that makes the name brand so I payed extra for the name brand and that does not appear to be working either. I have been told that TEVA no longer makes dexedrine so I am not sure what I should do. Also, I was told that the FDA no longer allows doses over 60 mg. but I am sure that is true. It could be my insurance company does not want to pay for more than a standard dose."

WSHarris October 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Dexedrine spansules (10 mg) for over 2 years,three times per day.I never knew i had rank ADHD all my life,problems with school,the law,i am 47,and have noticed my ambition for life has increased,having more energy,i used to be tired alot,complaining,generally overall agitated at the same time,as well i have many comorbidies to deal with,but fortunately,don't have to take any anxiety meds. Dexedrine is all i know,and i am satisfied with the results."

Hamerman (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love Dexedrine! It doesn't give me the crash that adderall has and it really keeps me focused on the tasks at hand. I was able to throughly apply for a gig and landed it and I wonder if I would on the alternatives. I hear they're trying to rid away of Dexedrine to switch over to Vyvance but since that drug has no generic and the two are about 99% similar I'm guessing it is more for profit reasoning. I'm telling everyone switch over you won't regret it. 1 15mg er/day should be the max for those considering switching. I read somewhere on here a doc prescribed about 100mg which is too much and the reasoning for your manic state. Go for trusted generic brands like Sandoz and Mallinkrodt. Teva IS THE WORST. "

Samohigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was switched from Adderall XR to generic Dexedrine. I got an ineffective brand of Adderall (yes, some brands are better than others). The positive effects were gone and the negative effects were enhanced. My blood pressure was great, around 102-117 systolic and 75-85 diastolic but my pulse was way too high 110-130. For the most part I loved Dexedrine, it worked very well and without the L-Amphetamine in Adderall my pulse rate was good 85-102. My only complaint was that the length of time it worked was inconsistent. Some days it would last 45 min other days it would last 2 hours. After speaking to my psych doc we decided to switch to Vyvanse instead of having to take 3 or 4 Dexedrine pills a day. Other than length of duration this is great."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a rare case; I currently am prescribed 180mg of Adderall (90mg IR & 90mg XR). When this was raised to 240mg, I asked to try Dexedrine thinking that after a decade on Adderall, I had simply become tolerant to it. My doc put me on 120mg of Dexedrine. There was a noticeable decline in my focus, and my energy levels (not that's why you should take stimulants) fell off the map. It was smooth. But for me, it was way too smooth. I remember taking 60mg one morning and then going for a hike. I couldn't concentrate on a damn thing, and I was nodding off as I was walking. I guess I should have expected this going from such a high amount of Adderall to a lower dose of Dexedrine (which is absent of levoamphetamine). I would try it again though."

Halo242 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on two 15 mg spanuals a day. I felt great when I began taking them. Way more focused not just at home but at school too. My grades had improved tremendously. I had absolutely. No troubles with this medication. I was taking dexedrine. For a little over 10 years. Due to my other meds I now take I'm unable to continue to take dexedrine. I would recommend. Dexedrine to an adult or child."

BOOG_A_LUV (taken for 10 years or more) April 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dexedrine is okay! When I first took it I was excited and hoped to feel something. I was instantly in a good mood, more focused, and patient. However the come down off this drug is horrible. The depression and sadness start to come back and it's just discouraging that only a medication can band-aid those emotions. I have have felt overstimulated as well. I had a gastric bypass four years ago so my doc said no XR but he put me on four 10mg a day which I feel is too much. I become agitated, irritable, paranoid, panicky, crying, etc. I decreased it to two a day. I feel that this might be too strong of a stimulant for me. I want to try Adderall since it's cheaper on my insurance and it has less dex. We'll see what he says at my next visit."

Lcowan7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 10mg daily for nearly 11 years. It seems to help me focus but sometimes the side effects make me a bit less risk-adverse than I am without the medication."

Bert Andrews February 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Vyvanse for 3 years, Adderral XL, & Adderral for another 3 years with limited success. I take a lot of other medications for mania & am always tired in addition to lacking focus...for the first time in years I can watch a movie, read a book, make it through multitasking a workday. Maybe this is what normal is meant to feel like--a world without yawns and easy distractions? Have I truly found a way to make it through a two hour movie? I think a new chapter in my life just opened..."

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid along with Asthma. A previous drug was being used however had to be stopped because of the review and side effects of being suicidal and doing things without worrying about the risk. Hard to explain... Anyways, ever since I started this drug, it has gone on a downhill. I have been using the drug for a very long time now, and to be honest , besides the tingling feeling I get sometimes using or taking a break from this drug, it doesn't help me at all. My parents think, thats it me that has to control ADHD but I cant, and this medicine isn't helping at all. I tried taking more dosage by myself and it still didn't work. Don't recommend at all. Btw I am 18 years old soon 19."

The Soaring Mind January 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hands down the worst medication I've ever tried. My Psychiatrist suggested trying a newer ADHD drug but I was enamored by some of the reviews I read on here so I persuaded him to prescribe me Dexedrine. Well what a big mistake. I was given 10mg of Dexedrine and after two weeks of it working it completely backfired. It completely ruined my cognitive abilities. I couldn't do simple math, my depth perception was off, and my time perception was off as well. I was constantly late to appointments, I had to write down everything on the calendar on my phone otherwise I will forget or think I have more time than I actually had. I would be careful with this medication. It might work for you though."

Wibblet (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 3 other ADD meds. This one seems to work great for me. I can focus stay on task and get my work done. Plus I can sit and relax with out feeling like I have be on the go all the time."

D.M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Calmed my racing thoughts a lot. Downside is the days I don't take them I feel mentally groggy"

Theothernicknamesaretajen December 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 15 yo son who has innattentive ADHD was taking adderall since 7th grade. He is now in 10th. For the longest time he has been having anger issues, he is easily irritated by other students talking in class, noise on the bus, and his 7 year old sister. I was desperately searching online for meds to help with anger with ADHD and asp and found this site. Reading all the comparisons of adderall and dexedrine, others having the same situation and most improving on the dex I hoped that his problem was the adderall. Went to the doctor told her all of the above. She seemed a little skeptical about it but was willing to give it a try. I don't want to jinx myself or my son but so far so good even helped sister with homework."

Adhdmumsy (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking dexedrine for about seven days now and it has definitely helped with my chronic feelings of anxiety - that painful feeling in your chest. This in turn has allowed me to better concentrate on the daily issues at hand then constantly having that feeling of flight or flight regarding any number of daily life issues. Thus far very helpful and I hope to continue down this path - I wish I had tried this drug years ago."

62 year old gentleman (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Treatment for ADHD save my life. Don't believe all the hype and the stigma around this diagnosis and treatment. It is a real condition there is real treatment and it makes a real and profound difference to the lives of people with this debilitating condition. So don't be afraid to seek help if you think you might have ADHD it is not just childhood illness in in my opinion it generally consists persists in some form for the duration of your life just like any other disease"

addBilly (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled with ADD for years and was put on a moderate dosage of ritalin in high school. But it gave me anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I ignored my ADD after high school and started dexedrine in college. What a difference! It helps me to focus much better and give me the energy to finish what I start. My procrastination has never been lower. I only give it a 9 because I sometimes need to make myself focus when the meds are an hour or two from wearing off."

avisonB (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dexedrine worked above and beyond for my ADHD symptoms, outstanding medication."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 39 years old and have been suffering from ADD my whole life. It wasn't until recently I finally figured out what it was. After trying Ritalin which didn't agree with me, and Adderall XR which made me irritable, anti -social and too engaged I read the reviews of this & decided to give it a whirl. I'm only on week 1, but compared to the others I am MUCH more myself with no anxiey! Also, I am shocked at how low of a dose gets the job done. I am on 5mg once daily around noon. You may think you need more but start low & see how much changes right before your very eyes. You get plenty done and still wind down after 4 hours. I sleep great and my appetite is only affected the first 3 hours. I didn't give it a 10 b/c of some memory issues."

Mrssfromwa (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 15 mg three times a day along with Ritalin 20 mg three times a day and I am so glad my Doc found this combo!!!! I'm 36 and extremely overweight and I got the got up and go that I never had and the help to keep my mind on very important things and people in my life, like my kids!!"

big momma of 3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wouldn't use any other type of ADHD medication! Adderall & many of the newer ADHD medications cause agitation & symptoms that make my condition worse. If I didn't use Dexedrine, I wouldn't take medication to treat my ADHD! More people need to educate themselves, on how to treat ADHD. "

RevG (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however."

RadicalDelusion (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used it for over 15 years. An EEG showed I had quite a bit of extraneous thought, a left and right hemisphere that had identical thought processes and a temporal lobe that was off the chart. Dexedrine changed my life. Unfortunately many Doctors are using outdated/outmoded technology and refuse to prescribe it."

procadman November 13, 2014