User Reviews for Dexedrine

Learn more about Dexedrine.

Dexedrine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Dexedrine to treat ADHD

"Was switched from Adderall XR to generic Dexedrine. I got an ineffective brand of Adderall (yes, some brands are better than others). The positive effects were gone and the negative effects were enhanced. My blood pressure was great, around 102-117 systolic and 75-85 diastolic but my pulse was way too high 110-130. For the most part I loved Dexedrine, it worked very well and without the L-Amphetamine in Adderall my pulse rate was good 85-102. My only complaint was that the length of time it worked was inconsistent. Some days it would last 45 min other days it would last 2 hours. After speaking to my psych doc we decided to switch to Vyvanse instead of having to take 3 or 4 Dexedrine pills a day. Other than length of duration this is great."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

"I'm a rare case; I currently am prescribed 180mg of Adderall (90mg IR & 90mg XR). When this was raised to 240mg, I asked to try Dexedrine thinking that after a decade on Adderall, I had simply become tolerant to it. My doc put me on 120mg of Dexedrine. There was a noticeable decline in my focus, and my energy levels (not that's why you should take stimulants) fell off the map. It was smooth. But for me, it was way too smooth. I remember taking 60mg one morning and then going for a hike. I couldn't concentrate on a damn thing, and I was nodding off as I was walking. I guess I should have expected this going from such a high amount of Adderall to a lower dose of Dexedrine (which is absent of levoamphetamine). I would try it again though."

Halo242 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

"I was on two 15 mg spanuals a day. I felt great when I began taking them. Way more focused not just at home but at school too. My grades had improved tremendously. I had absolutely. No troubles with this medication. I was taking dexedrine. For a little over 10 years. Due to my other meds I now take I'm unable to continue to take dexedrine. I would recommend. Dexedrine to an adult or child."

BOOG_A_LUV (taken for 10 years or more) April 7, 2016

"Dexedrine is okay! When I first took it I was excited and hoped to feel something. I was instantly in a good mood, more focused, and patient. However the come down off this drug is horrible. The depression and sadness start to come back and it's just discouraging that only a medication can band-aid those emotions. I have have felt overstimulated as well. I had a gastric bypass four years ago so my doc said no XR but he put me on four 10mg a day which I feel is too much. I become agitated, irritable, paranoid, panicky, crying, etc. I decreased it to two a day. I feel that this might be too strong of a stimulant for me. I want to try Adderall since it's cheaper on my insurance and it has less dex. We'll see what he says at my next visit."

Lcowan7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"I've been taking 10mg daily for nearly 11 years. It seems to help me focus but sometimes the side effects make me a bit less risk-adverse than I am without the medication."

Bert Andrews February 22, 2016

"Been on Vyvanse for 3 years, Adderral XL, & Adderral for another 3 years with limited success. I take a lot of other medications for mania & am always tired in addition to lacking focus...for the first time in years I can watch a movie, read a book, make it through multitasking a workday. Maybe this is what normal is meant to feel like--a world without yawns and easy distractions? Have I truly found a way to make it through a two hour movie? I think a new chapter in my life just opened..."

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid along with Asthma. A previous drug was being used however had to be stopped because of the review and side effects of being suicidal and doing things without worrying about the risk. Hard to explain... Anyways, ever since I started this drug, it has gone on a downhill. I have been using the drug for a very long time now, and to be honest , besides the tingling feeling I get sometimes using or taking a break from this drug, it doesn't help me at all. My parents think, thats it me that has to control ADHD but I cant, and this medicine isn't helping at all. I tried taking more dosage by myself and it still didn't work. Don't recommend at all. Btw I am 18 years old soon 19."

The Soaring Mind January 18, 2016

"Hands down the worst medication I've ever tried. My Psychiatrist suggested trying a newer ADHD drug but I was enamored by some of the reviews I read on here so I persuaded him to prescribe me Dexedrine. Well what a big mistake. I was given 10mg of Dexedrine and after two weeks of it working it completely backfired. It completely ruined my cognitive abilities. I couldn't do simple math, my depth perception was off, and my time perception was off as well. I was constantly late to appointments, I had to write down everything on the calendar on my phone otherwise I will forget or think I have more time than I actually had. I would be careful with this medication. It might work for you though."

Wibblet (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"Been on 3 other ADD meds. This one seems to work great for me. I can focus stay on task and get my work done. Plus I can sit and relax with out feeling like I have be on the go all the time."

D.M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

"Calmed my racing thoughts a lot. Downside is the days I don't take them I feel mentally groggy"

Theothernicknamesaretajen December 14, 2015

"My 15 yo son who has innattentive ADHD was taking adderall since 7th grade. He is now in 10th. For the longest time he has been having anger issues, he is easily irritated by other students talking in class, noise on the bus, and his 7 year old sister. I was desperately searching online for meds to help with anger with ADHD and asp and found this site. Reading all the comparisons of adderall and dexedrine, others having the same situation and most improving on the dex I hoped that his problem was the adderall. Went to the doctor told her all of the above. She seemed a little skeptical about it but was willing to give it a try. I don't want to jinx myself or my son but so far so good even helped sister with homework."

Adhdmumsy (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

"I have been taking dexedrine for about seven days now and it has definitely helped with my chronic feelings of anxiety - that painful feeling in your chest. This in turn has allowed me to better concentrate on the daily issues at hand then constantly having that feeling of flight or flight regarding any number of daily life issues. Thus far very helpful and I hope to continue down this path - I wish I had tried this drug years ago."

62 year old gentleman (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

"Treatment for ADHD save my life. Don't believe all the hype and the stigma around this diagnosis and treatment. It is a real condition there is real treatment and it makes a real and profound difference to the lives of people with this debilitating condition. So don't be afraid to seek help if you think you might have ADHD it is not just childhood illness in in my opinion it generally consists persists in some form for the duration of your life just like any other disease"

addBilly (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2015

"I have struggled with ADD for years and was put on a moderate dosage of ritalin in high school. But it gave me anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I ignored my ADD after high school and started dexedrine in college. What a difference! It helps me to focus much better and give me the energy to finish what I start. My procrastination has never been lower. I only give it a 9 because I sometimes need to make myself focus when the meds are an hour or two from wearing off."

avisonB (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"Dexedrine worked above and beyond for my ADHD symptoms, outstanding medication."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

"I am 39 years old and have been suffering from ADD my whole life. It wasn't until recently I finally figured out what it was. After trying Ritalin which didn't agree with me, and Adderall XR which made me irritable, anti -social and too engaged I read the reviews of this & decided to give it a whirl. I'm only on week 1, but compared to the others I am MUCH more myself with no anxiey! Also, I am shocked at how low of a dose gets the job done. I am on 5mg once daily around noon. You may think you need more but start low & see how much changes right before your very eyes. You get plenty done and still wind down after 4 hours. I sleep great and my appetite is only affected the first 3 hours. I didn't give it a 10 b/c of some memory issues."

Mrssfromwa (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2015

"I take 15 mg three times a day along with Ritalin 20 mg three times a day and I am so glad my Doc found this combo!!!! I'm 36 and extremely overweight and I got the got up and go that I never had and the help to keep my mind on very important things and people in my life, like my kids!!"

big momma of 3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015

"I wouldn't use any other type of ADHD medication! Adderall & many of the newer ADHD medications cause agitation & symptoms that make my condition worse. If I didn't use Dexedrine, I wouldn't take medication to treat my ADHD! More people need to educate themselves, on how to treat ADHD. "

RevG (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2015

"I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however."

RadicalDelusion (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have used it for over 15 years. An EEG showed I had quite a bit of extraneous thought, a left and right hemisphere that had identical thought processes and a temporal lobe that was off the chart. Dexedrine changed my life. Unfortunately many Doctors are using outdated/outmoded technology and refuse to prescribe it."

procadman November 13, 2014

"I would suggest anyone on this, to stop or take a break once you've noticed your reasoning, memory recall abilities becoming hindered. Even though I'm happy with the benefits of focus, it's not worth losing your short-term memory. Overtime, I noticed my math skills declined, followed by my word recall, spelling and now I can't remember stories or study material. It's extremely debilitating, I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the side effects."

Aria28 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This worked from the very second I started on it 5 years ago; Helped me focus like never before, although being someone with OCD who noticed most things anyway, this magnified it 10 fold. Gave a reserve of energy that helped even when tired. Only side-effects were that you build up a tolerance rather quickly when it comes to the original effect, I began to grind my teeth as I slept, and Had the worst dry mouth ever...could drink a gallon of water in 2 minutes and still have the driest mouth ever. Would recommend."

Wolverine1999 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2014

"Like Adderall without an increased heart rate and increased blood pressure. Also less "edgy"."

Cubster June 6, 2014

"This was one of many I tried. I was more satisfied with this one than any of the others. I never had headaches(with some I had terrible headaches!) the time release worked very well. Overall I rate this medicine the best in it's category."

that kathydee lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2014

"Great medicine, I recently restarted this medicine after 10 years and I feel normal again. This medicine has given me great peace in my life. I feel calm and collected and I'm quickly understanding what its like to have "free time" I insist that people who find results using this medicine ensure those in government understand the increase in quality of life we are all experiencing. I've rated this medicine 10/10 purely because any cons I've experienced are meaningless compared to been given a life."

Sim123 April 14, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next