User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Modafinil Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Reviews for Modafinil

Bullfrog · Taken for 10 years or more February 14, 2020

"Please be very very careful taking this. My life is now in turmoil because of my addiction to this medication. As I write I’m searching the internet to find a supplier. I’m terrified of running out in 3 days. There is an underground consensus on the physical and psychological withdrawals. The best I can do is share my experience with others to hopefully avoid terrible heartache in your life, I’ve already messed mine up. Please try and get by without this medication it does work and works very very good, hence my addiction. But again I want to help people before they get into the situation I’m in. I know many others as well that struggle with this. Please be careful if you decide to take this."

NYer · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

"I've been taking modafinil for two weeks now, 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the afternoon. I was so wanting this to be the miracle I was waiting for. I see absolutely no improved energy. I have more headaches and same bad fatigue. I hope there's something else I can try..."

Girlfriend August 9, 2019

"I took this 6 years ago when I went back to school. Worked great! Went back on a month ago and I am more tired now than when I went on it and can’t get anything done. Stuck in Zombie mode ! 200 mg split into half morning, half afternoon. Drinking tons of water to try to flush it out so I can drive home from work :("

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

"I started using it about a year ago for excessive fatigue from multiple sclerosis or from the MS drug I'd changed to a year back. At first I started with 50 mg modafinil. At that time I had to go to a neurological appointment. I had multiple panic attacks while going to the appointment. I even took Xanax which didn't even help. It's like the modafinil over road the Xanax effects. Modafinil didn't wear off for hours. I'd already struggled with anxiety from neuro issues so this was so frustrating for me. Since then I'll take 25 mg occasionally. Make sure you start low and also take very early or you'll have insomnia. This drug has a very long half life. Wish it helped me more but the side effects for me aren't great."

CKLC June 14, 2019

"My experience with Modafinil was tough. I have been struggling with daily fatigue for a while now and my psychiatrist prescribed me it to help me wake up. It has in fact helped me with that, and I feel like I can mostly go through each day without crashing or feeling like a dead fish. However, I have a severe anxiety disorder and my psychiatrist had been cautious of prescribing me a stimulant in case it increased said anxiety. Unfortunately, that’s what Modafinil did to me. It increased my heart rate and gave me overall physical anxiety, which seems impossible to get rid of once it attacks me. This in turn causes mental anxiety. The energy Modafinil gave me ultimately was not worth this anxious increase. Also, since the drug is a controlled substance I couldn’t get a refill anyway, and it just wasn’t worth it. I would say that each person is different and while anxiety is a common side effect it doesn’t have to be a sole feature. It did give me energy and that was a big plus."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

"Was prescribed armodafinil 150mg for chronic fatigue syndrome, at first I started off splitting it in half, which made me alert initially, but stopped being effective in a few days. I then tried taking the entire 150mg, which didn't make me alert, but gave me headaches, nausea, and made me very thirsty. Have been taking modafinil 100mg now for a couple of months, to varying degrees of success. I split the pills, take a half in mornings. I usually end up getting a headache by the late afternoon. On days where my fatigue is exacerbated, I avoid taking it as it leads to a huge headache for me. When I feel the headaches coming on, I know my productive day is over. I find that trying to power through the headaches leads to feeling terrible the next day, even if I take paracetamol. If modafinil had more of an affect on my fatigue, I could forgive the headaches and the price. But unfortunately it hasn't done much for me."

RoscoeTheDog May 1, 2019

"Modofinil is an interesting drug. I have fibromyalgia and fatigue problems. Within the first 3-4 days of taking 100mg, I noticed a marginal difference. It was odd, like I had more physical energy and could pay attention without feeling buzzed. However, it did feel very artificial and sometimes like my brain was fighting it. After about a week of taking it, I noticed I was feeling very tired- almost like a train had hit me during the day. I first associated it with sleep issues or not recently taken my Testosterone (I take this to help with workouts and fight libido problems that comes with Fibro), but I eventually realized that the zombied out feeling was actually caused by the Modofinil. It made retaining information and memory recall more difficult. From what I've read this is called a case of the "stoopids" Its typically a pretty rare side effect and it seems to be pretty successful for many people, but the feeling was just way too uncomfortable for me."

Snuggeben · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

"I have got my life back. For 3 weeks ago I could not even take a bath without sleeping up to ten hours after. Now I am painting and cleaning my flat. I can make my meals and eat them. And next month I am going to Spain on holidays "

Sillyme123 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2018

"I'm a chronic procrastinator and I've had problems with sticking to my heavy workload as a self-employed person. I'd start but I wouldn't get much done. I also suffer from depression. Modafinil (Modalert) helps. I can now actually get work done, even 100 mg is enough, and I've also found my mood is much more stable during the day. A bad event won't get to me. There's no way to reduce the effect. Even if you take calming substances, such as marijuana, both will have effect at the same time and that's not a very good thing. To get the best effect out of modafinil, you need to be well rested, well fed, hydrated and generally healthy and positive. I tend to be a bit more precise in communication (and I perhaps annoyingly demand the same from others), but this is not a drug that improves cognitive abilities. It just makes me stick to what I wanted to do - which is a huge positive effect that can change one's life for the better. It's a drug against lazyness / procrastination."

The rock November 13, 2018

"Works great when I don't take it everyday. I can't get the VA to prescribe it for me even though it's on the formulary and I've been diagnosed with obstructed sleep disorder. "

Notmah Reilneim · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

"Was prescribed Modafinil for my fatigue, concentration issues and memory issues. I started taking 100 mg the first 2 weeks. Then I Increased to 200 mg. I feel no difference at all. I am just as tired etc as I am without it. I drink enough. I eat well. I'm not sleep deprived. It seems like it works well for many people. Not for me."

50 Shades of fatigue April 28, 2017

"Modafinil did not work for me at all. If you want to try it look for coupons online the cost was $800.00 and I got it for $94.00."

HanselGretel · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2017

"I have another comment because this drug is so expensive. My insurance required preauthorization, but after a week, they allowed it and it cost me only $8/month. If it was not allowed by insurance I couldn't have afforded it because it is about $100 from the local compounding pharmacy that also seeks bargains for their customers. That's too much for me. This drug has been around for a long time, there's no sense it delaying medical care like this. So how about that? Automatic preauthorization should be just as dangerous and just as denounced. For CFS this drug can be life or death for people. I wish it wasn't an allergy for me though. :("

cmesmile · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2016

"I have had a horrible CFIDS relapse that we think occurred to due a CMV infection. I could barely function at work due to fatigue and brain fog. The doctor finally agreed to prescribe modafinil 100 mg in am and 100 mg midday. I feel so much better, but the insurance did not want to cover it. We battled for a week and finally got approval. This med has worked wonders for me."

Scissorgal · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2016

"I started nuvigil a week ago and I feel much better. I don't feel so exhausted and run down and I don't have to take naps. I am sleepingredients 8 hours at night and am awake an average of 5 hours more each day vrs days when I dont take my medication. In other words life changing for mw"

Memul August 10, 2016

"I been taking this medication Provigil/modafinil since 2007. It has been my experience with both to increase my way of life and to function as a normal human. No side affects, it has been amazing. the down fall is the insurance company's and FDA. When I started taking the meds 200 mg 1 1/2 tabs twice a day. The insurance approved. As the cost of the meds increased the denials started coming. I had to change insurance company due to my work. They would only approve two tablets a day therefore I had to adjusted to only taking two tablets a day. As of 7-1-2016 the FDA and insurance has decided that they will only approve and pay for one tablet per day. I ask the pharmacy how much would it cost me for a 30 days supply the reply made me cry $800"

TheJaye July 15, 2016

"I was prescribed Provigil 200mg BID in 2005 for my Chronic, severe fatigue due to MS and multiple flare ups from fibromyalgia.It is the best drug for me. I get a good 4 1/2 hours with the AM dose. And the same with the PM dose. It allowed me to maintain my full time job until my retirement. The prob is I'm on Medicare and pay $800 /mo for highmark PPO blue, just for the drug coverage. Then, my pharmacy will only give me 15 days at a time at a $120.00 co pay. So, now we have a drug that helps me function normally, but the poor house is just around the corner for me. Why make such a successful drug, offer it to middle class people, give them the hope they were seeking and then at some point have to stop because really, who can afford it??? Not to mention, if you try to refill your next 15 days worth a day early, huh!!"

Notsorich February 21, 2016

"I had to work part time because I was so tired. Eventually I had to stop altogether. Now I buy modafinil and my life has changed . I am a cab driver able to do airport runs thinking clearly and never tired. I don't take it every day just 100mg or half a tab before driving. I can do all my paperwork now and am enjoying life."

NW49ERSFAN1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2015

"It works, it really really works, it is just expensive !"

Michael Westen · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2015

"I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Pretty much bed ridden. Took 100 mg of Modafinil. Within 5 minutes, had lots of pressure in my head.Very unpleasant. Did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. Instead, felt worse. Extreme pressure in head lasted 90 minutes. Then mild headache rest of the day. Very disappointing."

EdFoto · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2015

"I was a very active, energetic, workaholic before getting CFS. Doing heavy physical labor & paperwork for 30 to 40 hrs at a time was no problem for me. Then it hit. I was devastated. I spent $4000 on tests & went to many Doctors. Finally I was diagnosed CFS. He was doing a clinical trial on Provigil (modafinil) & the early results were so good he wrote me a Rx for it. When I restart taking it after not using for awhile (Insurance Company hassles) I start with a 1/4 tablet (50 mg) for a few days, then 1/2 tab for about a week & 200 mg tablet per day. At times 2 tabs per day give me a slight extra boost. With this I get up to 10-20 % of MY previous energy levels. It's a Blessing."

TBPCR July 27, 2015

"I wish I was having the experience most of you are sharing. I've been on modafinil for a month with NO CHANGE at all. I am so tired all the time, nap every day without fail. I feel useless at work and in life."

janeenH · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 19, 2015

"Most awesome drug. Doc must write excessive daytime sleepiness for insurance to pay. Practically no side effects"

Not so sick and tired anymore · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 3, 2015

"I was diagnosed with CFS 18 years ago. When it gets really bad, I have major cognitive problems, memory loss, confusion and my speech even becomes more simple (small words less educated). I've been on modafinal (provigil) for over 6 years. Had to slightly up my dose about 3 years ago. I can hold a job and function well provided I don't over do it. My brain just "clicks" better again. Closer to normal. Slight side effect of nausea similar to morning sickness for about 3 hours after taking is well worth the benefit"

Sleepingmylifeaway0718 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2015

"This medication worked for about a week, but now I just sleep right through it. I'm on 200 mg. I set an alarm to take the medication in the beginning I'd wake up about 45 minutes after talking it, but now I continue to sleep."

Learn more about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)