User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Page 2)

Also known as: Provigil

Modafinil has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 48% of those users who reviewed Modafinil reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Modafinil Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Reviews for Modafinil

TheJaye July 15, 2016

“I was prescribed Provigil 200mg BID in 2005 for my Chronic, severe fatigue due to MS and multiple flare ups from fibromyalgia.It is the best drug for me. I get a good 4 1/2 hours with the AM dose. And the same with the PM dose. It allowed me to maintain my full time job until my retirement. The prob is I'm on Medicare and pay $800 /mo for highmark PPO blue, just for the drug coverage. Then, my pharmacy will only give me 15 days at a time at a $120.00 co pay. So, now we have a drug that helps me function normally, but the poor house is just around the corner for me. Why make such a successful drug, offer it to middle class people, give them the hope they were seeking and then at some point have to stop because really, who can afford it??? Not to mention, if you try to refill your next 15 days worth a day early, huh!!”

fibronana August 18, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “I take this pill only as needed because of the price, so I take it if I have an appointment or have to be somewhere on time or before 4 pm. I am a zombie if I don't. I just can't understand why it costs so much. Do they honestly think people can afford to pay this price? ”

Anonymous June 27, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “I take 400mg/day for fatigue and mental fog. It helped a great deal although after 3 years it doesn't work as well as in the beginning. I started taking 200mg/day and it didn't help until I took it for 3 months. Increased to 300mg/day after 1 year and to 400mg/day after 2nd year.”

Memul August 10, 2016

“I been taking this medication Provigil/modafinil since 2007. It has been my experience with both to increase my way of life and to function as a normal human. No side affects, it has been amazing. the down fall is the insurance company's and FDA. When I started taking the meds 200 mg 1 1/2 tabs twice a day. The insurance approved. As the cost of the meds increased the denials started coming. I had to change insurance company due to my work. They would only approve two tablets a day therefore I had to adjusted to only taking two tablets a day. As of 7-1-2016 the FDA and insurance has decided that they will only approve and pay for one tablet per day. I ask the pharmacy how much would it cost me for a 30 days supply the reply made me cry $800”

Scissorgal · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2016

“I started nuvigil a week ago and I feel much better. I don't feel so exhausted and run down and I don't have to take naps. I am sleepingredients 8 hours at night and am awake an average of 5 hours more each day vrs days when I dont take my medication. In other words life changing for mw”

TBPCR July 27, 2015

“I wish I was having the experience most of you are sharing. I've been on modafinil for a month with NO CHANGE at all. I am so tired all the time, nap every day without fail. I feel useless at work and in life.”

Michael Westen · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2015

“I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Pretty much bed ridden. Took 100 mg of Modafinil. Within 5 minutes, had lots of pressure in my head.Very unpleasant. Did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. Instead, felt worse. Extreme pressure in head lasted 90 minutes. Then mild headache rest of the day. Very disappointing.”

Ladybird85 · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2015

“I am 29 yrs old, female, and have Chronic fatigue due to depression and rheumatoid arthritis. This drug seemed like the perfect cure but it gave me pretty unwanted side effects including worsening of depression, panicky, dizziness, blurred vision, headaches, worsening of fatigue, dazzed, would have words on the tip of my tongue sometimes that would take like 30 sec to remember what I wanted to say, and muscle tension, extreme anger at people and myself, and increased joint pain. So the 2 hours it'd actually increase my energy, All these side effects are NOT worth it.”

Sleepingmylifeaway0718 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2015

“This medication worked for about a week, but now I just sleep right through it. I'm on 200 mg. I set an alarm to take the medication in the beginning I'd wake up about 45 minutes after talking it, but now I continue to sleep.”

Mounthawke April 5, 2015

“I have ME resulting in severe tiredness.... I Started taking 200 mg modofinal 5 days ago. It is fabulous. It is not funded in the UK. But if you have ME do some research and see if it is right for you. It really worked for me!”

Slower than a slug February 1, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): “Used to be active. Over last ten years extreme fatigue has grown to total dominance. Interest, hobbies and life in general just vanished. After extensive testing and use of CPAP, doc put me on 200mg/day Provigil, it was like a teaser not quite doing anything, but 400mg seemed to at least get me mentally more active, but does very little for the fatigue part. My major complaint is hard to describe, but after a couple of days I get a sore feeling in my mouth. I don't grind my teeth, but tend to keep a negative pressure in my mouth causing a ridge to form along the tooth line, and slight but painful sores on the gum here and there, it has to be some form of tension, also affects sleep.”

C/OJAM July 26, 2013

“This med worked for me for about 2 weeks. It was amazing. But it seems I have started already become imune to it. I was so hoping it would work for me like it did everyone else. I am totally crushed that it isnt.”

leopardeyes September 26, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): “I started out on 100mg in the morning. I was falling asleep an hour later, so the doctor put me on 200mg. I still was very sleepy, but then the sleepiness would wear off. I drove about 60 miles into town and I was driving very fast and taking risks I would never do normally. It also made me want to buy lottery tickets. The increase of compulsive behaviors is very true with this medication.. I stopped taking it immediately. It was too expensive anyway!”

HanselGretel · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2017

“I have another comment because this drug is so expensive. My insurance required preauthorization, but after a week, they allowed it and it cost me only $8/month. If it was not allowed by insurance I couldn't have afforded it because it is about $100 from the local compounding pharmacy that also seeks bargains for their customers. That's too much for me. This drug has been around for a long time, there's no sense it delaying medical care like this. So how about that? Automatic preauthorization should be just as dangerous and just as denounced. For CFS this drug can be life or death for people. I wish it wasn't an allergy for me though. :(”

Aussie Keith · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 25, 2021

“Modafinil twice daily (c 0700 & 1300) suppressed fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.”

janeenH · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 19, 2015

“Most awesome drug. Doc must write excessive daytime sleepiness for insurance to pay. Practically no side effects”

Toddsmithallday · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2014

“I got modafinil a few weeks ago when I discovered a great review on the product. It has worked amazingly for me. I do not get tired nor do I lose focused on my tasks at hand.”

NW49ERSFAN1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2015

“It works, it really really works, it is just expensive !”

The rock November 13, 2018

“Works great when I don't take it everyday. I can't get the VA to prescribe it for me even though it's on the formulary and I've been diagnosed with obstructed sleep disorder. ”

50 Shades of fatigue April 28, 2017

“Modafinil did not work for me at all. If you want to try it look for coupons online the cost was $800.00 and I got it for $94.00.”

sweetmagnolia August 20, 2009

“I just started taking it last week and have not noticed any difference yet. It's expensine, even with my insurance.”

Learn more about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome