User Reviews for Provigil

Learn more about Provigil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 11 reviews 2 medications

9.4
Obstructive Sleep Ap...ypopnea Syndrome 19 reviews 2 medications

8.5
Narcolepsy 73 reviews 15 medications

7.1
Summary of Provigil reviews 103 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Provigil

For Narcolepsy "over 2 months on provigil. still tired, can't remember words, yawn all day. only side effect was appetite suppressant. which is all I felt. waiting for Dr to prescribe something else."

CM550 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Narcolepsy "I have Narcolepsy and I am currently taking 200mg twice daily and it barely works. My doctor added Ritalin 20mg twice daily and I have been on Ritalin for previous years until I moved to TX. In 2013, I was prescribed Vyvanse 70mg I believe. It didn't work better than the Ritalin or Adderall I tried while in TX. My doctor then prescribed Xyrem. Needless to say none of these drugs have provided adequate relief from daytime sleepiness. I started provigil in January 2016 and there's no change. I took provigil about 10 years ago and the same results. I need serious help because I barely function."

Chelle69 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

For Narcolepsy "You get used to this and need to take more, or not take it (therefore not drive) for about a week. But only 'helpful' insights will be printed (after editing). So my saying $3600 a month for 60 pills? Really? Are they worth their weight in gold? They don't seem to have any side effects, for me. Other then tremors. So that's a plus. Should they cost more than most people make in a year? I am disabled, and receive $10,000 a year. After researching I'm not finding any major payouts from the company, due to lawsuits. (I realize awards are confidential, but there hasn't been many cases. Who(m) am I kidding. This won't be printed. I just HAD to say something, because the cost is abominable. Ok. I c $$ How did u do the A-spam thing? Impressed!"

Mediator (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2016

For Narcolepsy "Provigil is different for everyone. Personally, I can begin to feel it working about 30 to 45 min. I take it as soon as I get out of bed so it's on an empty stomach. I eat after I get dressed so by the time I'm making breakfast I feel like I received a caffeine boost that will last about 8-10 hours. If I'm having a hard time waking up, I have been known to take the medication and take a 15 min nap. I set my alarm for 15-20 min. When I wake up again, my head is clear, I feel refreshed and ready to burst out of bed. "

dancorpina (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

For Narcolepsy "I have taken provigil years ago with no significant improvement. I went through the last 20 years being prescribe Xyrem, Cylert, Adderall, Ritalin and recently Provigil along with Ritalin. None of these drugs provide wakefulness that last more than 3-4 hours. I can take the combination of Provigil and Ritalin at 9am and fall back to sleep at 9:30 am. I take my medication on an empty stomach but the wakefulness is almost non existent. I want to volunteer to be a case study because I believe I am a rare individual with Narcolepsy. I want to find out if there is an underlying problem because I hear of people getting addicted to these drugs and they barely have an affect on me. I want to live a normal life and not be sleepy all day, everyday."

Irama Tenej June 9, 2016

"I seriously do not know how this medicine is approved as a stimulant. I suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and shift work sleep disorder. This medicine in no way kept me awake, alert, or focused. If anything I had a complete opposite affect. I felt some sort of brain fog, my performance at work lagged, and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had no motivation to accomplish any tasks, or get out of bed for that matter. Along with these negative effects I had headaches and nausea. I would not recommend this as a stimulant or something for sharp cognitive effects. But, maybe more like a sleeping pill. I felt like it was a sleeping pill, but struggling to stay awake after taking it. Tried for 1 week."

Amanda V. May 26, 2016

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "Really helps in the morning but seems to wear off rather quickly. I will try an additional dose in the afternoon."

Apneac April 29, 2016

For Narcolepsy "IMHO, modafinil is a good medication. I was originally diagnosed with EDS. Couple years later, MSLT showed REM, blablabla, narcolepsy. I've tried it ALL. best was Dexedrine which is no longer manufactured (as far as I understand). Adderral dropped me down to about 95lbs (even tho I'm a small girl). Ritalin made me super anxious and mute and slow. And provigil was... Just ok and VERY expensive. Stopped the provigil because it cost $500 a month, 60tabs BID 100 mg. I just can't keep paying for it. I went back to Ritalin which is the cheapest of them all cause I thought I was better. Never been more wrong! Not being on the provigil has shown me, I DO HAVE NARCOLEPSY. W/o provigil, I can barely function :-/. But how can I carve out $500 for it?!"

Geeeceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

For Narcolepsy "I have narcolepsy which went undiagnosed for decades. I don't drink coffee and for years self medicated using caffeine tablets and diet sodas. Finally in desperation started looking for answers via the net, had a sleep study and voila, narcolepsy. Tried Ritalin with no effect, then Provigil and for the first time felt normal and productive. Health insurance would not cover and soon I was paying $800.00 a month for meds. To make matters worse, the Provigil soon lost any efficacy. Ultimately my Doc, reluctantly prescribed Adderall and I have been taking 30mg in the AM and 20 more around lunch. This works ok, but still need caffeine."

Carter Carter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2015

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "I have been on and off Provigil a couple times over the past few years after being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I first started with 100mg and a CPAP machine. I soon began to feel better but the CPAP did not last because I kept ripping it off in the night. So I ended both. Recently I have gone back on Provigil taking 200mg for shift differential disorder because of the long shifts and my inability to stay awake and falling asleep driving. What a difference. I can stay awake for my 12 hour shift and the 1 hour drive each way to work. I feel if I had not gone back on it I most likely would have wrecked to or from work by now. Only down fall is an occasional upset stomach if I don't eat before or immediately after taking it."

sleepybush (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2015

For Narcolepsy "Sensational medication. Provigil taken alone for my narcolepsy kept me awake and alert when needed yet allowed me to take my short nap(s) through out the day when needed."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I have taken Provigil for 5 years now (since I was 16) 400 mgs a day, as the lower dosage was ineffective. It has been a Godsend. I really struggled through school, and whilst it didn't help me get top grades, it did wonders for keeping me awake during lessons. I'm awake for around 15 hours a day, with a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and 7 hours sleep at night. The best part is being able to have a sleep pattern, something which beforehand, I could never experience. Without this drug I couldn't never get anything done."

Frogyrock July 27, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I'm in the navy and it was very hard fighting my sleep for the first 5 years of being in I finally got a sleep study an they diagnosed me with narcolepsy. I don't really like taking medication for anything but my doctor introduced me to Provigil. I finally feel like a normal person, although the first month I had very bad headaches it slowly went away and I went from taking 1 100mg pill a day to 2 100mg pills. My body got used to it within the first 2mths. Overall I love this medicine. works pretty good for me."

lola14$ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome "Positive"

Wolg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2015

For Fatigue "Provigil (Modafinil) was an absolute miracle for me to help me control my Multiple Sclerosis related fatigue. I have taken it for nearly 14 years with no side effects whatsoever (200mg two times a day). I liked that it never made me feel edgy, jumpy or nervous and I especially liked that I could still sleep with a 200mg dose on board as well so it didn't absolutely control my sleep patterns. Helpful. Effective. Cost prohibitive if unable to get insurance coverage for it. I have only recently stopped taking Modafinil due to my insurance (which I have the same company for the last 10 years) company not covering Modafinil for off-label uses (crazily, MS Fatigue being one of them?). So far, I am not at ALL impressed by any of the "substitutes"."

ImahSleepyGirl (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2014

For Narcolepsy "I am a former college football player who has had narcolepsy for years. I have been on Provigil for over a year now. I started with the lowest dose possible and after 3-6 months am now on the highest dose possible. The medicine has little side effects for me which is great except it curbs my appetite a bit. But I find my body has become immune to the medicine as the impact becomes less and less. I take 4 pills a day and even though I am not falling asleep as much and wasting the day away, I still have no energy. When I am sitting there awake I'm just useless. I don't want to go on an amphetamine but this medicine just isn't working to well for me."

28wnarcolepsy September 9, 2014

For Narcolepsy "This was more effective than any others tried including Ritalin, Vyvanse which made my heart rate rise to the 140s. Modafinil worked quickly but not suddenly and lasted for the entire day."

Millie E. Elmore (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 11, 2014

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder "It has been a big help since I suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness. I have had surgery for apnea and do shift work."

Miss mia June 6, 2014

For Narcolepsy "I tried to write a lot more, but the space is limited. I'd tried ADHD medicines and loading up with caffeine, but nothing seemed to work to manage my excessive sleep cycles. I stumbled across information on Provigil, and asked my doctor if I could try it. I was skeptical because I have eczema, and I have to be careful about the medications, foods, and external allergens I'm exposed to. I began at the lowest dose once/day, and increased to that twice a day after a year and a half, because it seemed the effectiveness was decreasing. I do take breaks from the meds, usually for a day or two, but I've had to for months (cost) and haven't experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms, like with all the other chemicals."

rues February 7, 2014

"It works well- it's brand is different than the generic."

Hebble October 27, 2013

For Narcolepsy "I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house."

Kathy0323 September 23, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "I took Provigil along with Adderall and felt the best ever. I was alert, not on too much Adderall so I didn't feel bad from that--Then my insurance company wouldn't cover Provigil any more, they pushed Nuvigil--it made me sleepier."

Cheri408 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2013

For Narcolepsy "Provigil worked for my narcolepsy for about 6 months. After that, I began to have bouts of insomnia at night and became ultra sleepy during the day times. I was prescribed sleep medications to help combat the new side effects. Things did not seem to improve. I also gained 40 pounds during the time I took Provigil (which was a total of 9 months). As a woman, gaining weight was my LEAST desirable side effect of all. Finally, I switched off of Provigil and returned to what was working for me originally, Adderall XR 30 mg one to two times per day (depending on what my schedule was like that day). I only switched off of Adderall XR originally because my doctor was concerned about the potential long term cardiovascular effects on my body."

Jackit September 3, 2013

For Narcolepsy "Wide awake, enhanced reflexes, but too expensive."

Sagemonkey July 25, 2013

For Narcolepsy "I found that this medicine was good at keeping my body awake, but I still felt like my mind was falling asleep. After about 4 or 5 days on it I developed the worst migraine of my life...when I get migraines they usually resolve with just half of a Vicodin. After taking two full Vicodin's I still had the most raging migraine ever. It lasted for 3 days. Once it resolved I went back on the Provigil two days later another raging migraine. That was it for me. "

AbbeyL (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2013