User Reviews for Provigil

Provigil has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 123 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Provigil reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Narcolepsy
9.2
Summary of Provigil reviews 7.2 123 reviews

Reviews for Provigil

Lucille January 29, 2021

For Narcolepsy: “My name is Lucille when I was 50 years old I started nodding out in the car and restaurants and it was very humiliating it was uncontrollable my family was very embarrassed I went to a neurologist and they took sleep studies and they said that I had sleep apnea which was unusual because I am but at the time I was 105 lb and I was not diabetic and I am borderline narcoleptic I am hypersomnia I was prescribed many medications they did not work such as adderal which just come out they said it was a very unique medication. I had to fight the insurance to pay for it my doctor prescribed that after it was approved and I have to take 200 mg in the morning then I would become myself I take that faithfully and another 200 mg at 1 p.m. and I do not have those episodes anymore of uncontrolled sleeping where I cannot function. I've been on provigil for 12 years now my doctor prescribes 100 mg Nuvigil in the afternoon with the 200 mg Provigil”

Thor283 · Taken for 10 years or more October 19, 2020

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I was originally put on Provigil 15 years ago for shift work sleep disorder but I'm now on it for the fatigue that comes with MS. My dose is 200 mg once a day worked well for me, but a new doc switched me to Nuvigil which isn't working well at all. I have to say there is a big difference between Provigil brand and the generic Modafinil. Modafinil is m much weaker and I often needed 400 mg a day depending on what I had to do.”

LifeChanging October 3, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “Provigil has changed my life! I have been taking it for 6 months. I was prescribed 200mg. I usually take half a pill and I’m good to go for the entire work day. Before Provigil I was in danger of losing my job. I could not get out of bed. On weekends I would literally go to bed Friday night and not get dressed again until I forced myself out the door for work on Monday. After just a few days I felt like a new person! I don’t suffer any terrible side effects. The only thing is I have to make sure I am not talking excessively (as it tends to speed up my speech). I now even go to the gym after work! Never ever would have dreamed of doing that previously! I am down 30 pounds (working hard at it) and I am enjoying my life! It gave me my life back!”

jaguiar May 20, 2009

For Depression: “This is a WONDER DRUG in the use of depression. I have suffered for years with depression and never with any relief from the mainstream anti-depressants. Either the side effects were intolerable, or the medicine just didn't work. Within 3 days of taking Provigil, I was the happiest, most productive I had been in a year. The first 2 days I was still really sleepy, and the 3rd day, a little hyper, but after that day I have felt EXCELLENT. I don't have anxiety attacks anymore and I get a full night of "good" sleep and wake up feeling extremely refreshed and I am happy again. I was on my couch for a straight 6 months sleeping and crying until I started this medicine. It literally saved my life.”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

For Narcolepsy: “I have narcolepsy with cataplexy. Adderall, Ritalin, etc. did nothing for me. I’ve only been taking this for a short amount of time but unlike adderall or ritalin this not only physically keeps me awake but I don’t feel the horrible fatigue I usually do. It keeps me awake and feeling good while also easing any nervousness I have. I feel very calm while also being energized.:)”

myoman · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2013

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date.”

Anonymous April 1, 2009

For ADHD: “I've been on Provigil for 2 years now for ADD like symptoms caused by a brain injury. After 14 years of not being able to keep my thoughts together enough to hold a job, I can now connect the dots and have been working full time for a year and a half. I do not take Provigil to make me smarter or give me an edge. I just want to be able to balance my check book and hold a job. I no longer have insurance to help with the cost, so I have been trying to make what I have left last as long as possible. Lately I've been having trouble organizing my thoughts and being able to finish the simplest of chores. Looking back, it is amazing how much this drug helps me to live a normal life.”

ImahSleepyGirl · Taken for 10 years or more December 17, 2014

For Fatigue: “Provigil (Modafinil) was an absolute miracle for me to help me control my Multiple Sclerosis related fatigue. I have taken it for nearly 14 years with no side effects whatsoever (200mg two times a day). I liked that it never made me feel edgy, jumpy or nervous and I especially liked that I could still sleep with a 200mg dose on board as well so it didn't absolutely control my sleep patterns. Helpful. Effective. Cost prohibitive if unable to get insurance coverage for it. I have only recently stopped taking Modafinil due to my insurance (which I have the same company for the last 10 years) company not covering Modafinil for off-label uses (crazily, MS Fatigue being one of them?). So far, I am not at ALL impressed by any of the "substitutes".”

Anonymous June 4, 2009

For Depression: “This turned me from a deep, suicidal depression into a happy, productive person in 2 days. I am also able to sleep without any sleep medicines (first time in years). My problem is that my insurance refuses to pay for it because using Provigil for depression/bipolar is off-label, and it is so expensive that I'm just starting to wean myself off of it, sadly. There is another drug, Nuvigil that is supposed to be even better, and is currently being tested (very positive results so far) for FDA approval in the use of it for depression and bipolar. It's been a long road for me, so I can only pray that the FDA moves quickly on this.”

Kathy0323 September 23, 2013

For Narcolepsy: “I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house.”

dancorpina · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2016

For Narcolepsy: “Provigil is different for everyone. Personally, I can begin to feel it working about 30 to 45 min. I take it as soon as I get out of bed so it's on an empty stomach. I eat after I get dressed so by the time I'm making breakfast I feel like I received a caffeine boost that will last about 8-10 hours. If I'm having a hard time waking up, I have been known to take the medication and take a 15 min nap. I set my alarm for 15-20 min. When I wake up again, my head is clear, I feel refreshed and ready to burst out of bed. ”

Anonymous February 8, 2009

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: “I was feeling extremely tired and unmotivated after a short time since beginning night shift (emergency worker) duty. My doctor prescribed Provigil. I had never even heard of it before. This is what I need. I am wide awake when I need to be, either day or night and I can still catch a cat nap on duty, and I don't have trouble sleeping in the daytime anymore. I know many people on provigil in emergency services. Almost all of us work nights or rotating shifts. I can't say I have heard of any ill side effects other than dehydration and headache. Drank more water and it all went away.”

cauley April 30, 2009

For ADHD: “I am 42 years old and have suffered panic disorder since I was 17 years old. Have racing thoughts, mind won't slow down enough to accomplish a task. Since taking Provigil I have moved forward and been able to complete and follow through on projects and not get frustrated and anxious. Have had no side effects, nor have I experienced a come off effect. I'm stable as she goes all day long. It has not effected my sleep either.”

lethean March 11, 2008

For Narcolepsy: “I experienced much greater effects from Provigil on initial exposure than I have during regular, ongoing treatment. Had the initial effects (perfect alertness without excessive excitability) continued it would merit a rating of 10. However, I still find it indispensable and would be hard-pressed to give up that particular prescription.”

Anonymous July 18, 2012

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “Originally prescribed Provigil for sleep apnea, or at least that is what my doctors said so that my insurance would pay for it, however my sleep study was done a long time ago when I weighed more and insurance has recently stopped paying. I actually take the medication due to 2 previous head injuries. I have been on the medication for about 4-5 years. During that time I have returned to work and school to pursue a nursing degree. Off of the Provigil I have to take a nap every day, begin to forget things, and fail my classes at school. I have had to make many lifestyle changes since my accidents and taking Provigil really helps me. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers and just want close to normal life as possible.”

Anonymous January 27, 2009

For ADHD: “I really love Provigil. I used it for ADD. Provigil helped me stay focused and motivated. The only side effect was if I took it to late in the day I might have a little trouble getting to sleep. It makes sense because it is a stimulant. It is a great drug for ADD because it doesn't cause all those nasty side effects other ADD drugs have. Unfortunately I have to stop using it because insurance won't cover Provigil because it has not been approved to be used as an ADD drug. Completely disappointing. It truly is an amazing drug for ADD.”

ChelleC January 29, 2010

For ADHD: “Provigil works great for energy, as well as ADD. I also suffer from Major Panic Disorder, and depression. This medicine gives me such a boost with no side effects, other then a little mood change late in the evening. I recently lost my health insurance due to my divorce, and could not afford it for 6 months, and what a difference I felt, no energy, and I slept more then ever. I think this medication is over priced, by all means, especially for people that it really works for and helps them though. The insurance company's need to cover this medicine, especially when it helps people with ADD and depression, and gives them energy that helps motivate them.”

Sleepy Sister · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2013

For Narcolepsy: “For the past few years, my friends all made fun of me for how many naps I took. Eventually, I was not able to leave very far from my house lest I get a sleep attack and need to lay down immediately. I've slept everywhere - from the bathroom floor at my work (before I was fired for leaving early so many times to sleep) to friends cars during the middle of the day. After FINALLY getting a narcolepsy diagnosis (good luck getting insurance to pay without it - even the Patient Assist Program won't send you meds unless your diagnosis is documented) I am now experiencing how normal people must live. As long as I take the Provigil at the exact times I need to (100mg at 8am, noon, 4pm) I can work, making me feel like an asset to society again.”

LazzzyBoy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

For Narcolepsy: “This med has been very helpful for my excessive daytime sleepiness (Idiopathic Hypersomnia). Probably saved me from ending my career as a therapist altogether, although I’m limited to seeing half the usual number of clients. First 100 mg dose at 8 am and I’m good to go for about 4 hours—and quite talkative and energetic. By noon or 1 I’m getting quite tired and, even though I take my afternoon dose of 100 mg, the rest of the day I typically feel quite tense and often irritable. Tight knot in upper back. Seeing clients is a real challenge. My life remains pretty limited by my idiopathic hypersomnia but I’m so relieved to at least be able to work enough to support my family. Losing that capacity altogether would have been devastating, so I’m very grateful for Provigil.”

psw452004 March 5, 2010

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Before taking Provigil I could barely get out of bed. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally a doctor did a blood test and said I had been exposed to mono which can cause chronic fatigue syndrome. Now that I am on the Provigil I have gone back to work, I clean my house again and I can actually play with my grandkids again. Since being on this medicine I have not experienced any side effects or they were so mild I didn't notice. Provigil has changed my existing into living again.”

28wnarcolepsy September 9, 2014

For Narcolepsy: “I am a former college football player who has had narcolepsy for years. I have been on Provigil for over a year now. I started with the lowest dose possible and after 3-6 months am now on the highest dose possible. The medicine has little side effects for me which is great except it curbs my appetite a bit. But I find my body has become immune to the medicine as the impact becomes less and less. I take 4 pills a day and even though I am not falling asleep as much and wasting the day away, I still have no energy. When I am sitting there awake I'm just useless. I don't want to go on an amphetamine but this medicine just isn't working to well for me.”

Amay · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2019

For Narcolepsy: “Whether I take 50mg-100mg or 150mg, it always kicks in (if it even does) 12hr after taking it. 95% of the time, I can sleep straight through the med and I’m still severely dragging all day. This med doesn’t work for me.”

thankfully awake October 1, 2009

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “After months of absolutely debilitating fatigue and an awful quality of life, I finally found something that makes me feel like I am alive. I would experience such extreme tiredness during the day until it was affecting every aspect of my life. I work 8-5 Mon-Fri. and would go to sleep at night and still wake up feeling awful. I actually felt like I had been 10 rounds in a heavyweight fight every day! I would spend all day in an absolute fog and by the time I would make it in from work I would be yawning so much until tears would be pouring down my face. I was bone weary tired! I have the good fortune to have an excellent family doctor who helped me feel alive again. 100 mg a day. I have my life back!”

Anonymous January 29, 2009

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: “I have Sleep Apnea and use CPAP but unfortunately the CPAP doesn't completely resolve the exhaustion. I take 200mg Provigil once a day and it has given me my life back. I was in danger of losing my job because the exhaustion caused me not to be able to focus or produce. Once on the Provigil, my boss says he has been blown away by my performance. No side effects whatsoever.”

awake all day January 23, 2013

For Narcolepsy: “I've had delayed sleep phase syndrome, mood disorder and ADHD all my life, due to brain injury at birth and a family pattern of delayed sleep phase syndrome. I managed a successful professional career but with great difficulty and with struggles with different medications. I way overused caffeine, with mixed results and side effects. Provigil has been wonderful and I wish it had been available when I was a child and in school and working. I feel normal and alert and not constantly fighting sleepiness, inattention and depression. I can't help wondering how much better I might have done with this medicine. It is helping me with my second career as an artist. ”

DaddyRabbit · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

For Narcolepsy: “Does nothing for my narcolepsy. I stay on it because the doctor told me to and I’m not competent enough to know that it’s not working. Also I look like a drug seeker if mention anything, and don’t agree with the doctors recommendation. It gives me some anxiety, my body feels awake but my head feels sleepy. Does nothing for brain fog I get with my narcolepsy. Armodafinil works better”

Drac May 5, 2008

For Multiple Sclerosis: “I was prescribed this medication to deal with the overwhelming fatigue that sometimes hits with Multiple Sclerosis. I am working full time, and cannot afford to be overly sleepy. I am very impressed with how it works. It stimulates me mentally, without creating the "hyper" physicality of a general stimulant like caffiene. I am able to take the medication on a when required basis - not more than 200 mg in a day - and it works great. Many days I do not take it at all. It has a long half-life, however.”

Dozzzzzzzer · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 17, 2017

For Narcolepsy: “I am a Nurse . I gave in and began to take Provigil because I could not safely transfer my clients for appointments . I could NOT stay awake behind the wheel of a car or any time I sat still .Provigil has been a life changer! I started with 100mg once a day 4 years ago. It still works and no side effects!”