User Reviews for Provigil

Learn more about Provigil.

Provigil Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Provigil to treat Narcolepsy

"You get used to this and need to take more, or not take it (therefore not drive) for about a week. But only 'helpful' insights will be printed (after editing). So my saying $3600 a month for 60 pills? Really? Are they worth their weight in gold? They don't seem to have any side effects, for me. Other then tremors. So that's a plus. Should they cost more than most people make in a year? I am disabled, and receive $10,000 a year. After researching I'm not finding any major payouts from the company, due to lawsuits. (I realize awards are confidential, but there hasn't been many cases. Who(m) am I kidding. This won't be printed. I just HAD to say something, because the cost is abominable. Ok. I c $$ How did u do the A-spam thing? Impressed!"

Mediator (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2016

"Provigil is different for everyone. Personally, I can begin to feel it working about 30 to 45 min. I take it as soon as I get out of bed so it's on an empty stomach. I eat after I get dressed so by the time I'm making breakfast I feel like I received a caffeine boost that will last about 8-10 hours. If I'm having a hard time waking up, I have been known to take the medication and take a 15 min nap. I set my alarm for 15-20 min. When I wake up again, my head is clear, I feel refreshed and ready to burst out of bed. "

dancorpina (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

"I have taken provigil years ago with no significant improvement. I went through the last 20 years being prescribe Xyrem, Cylert, Adderall, Ritalin and recently Provigil along with Ritalin. None of these drugs provide wakefulness that last more than 3-4 hours. I can take the combination of Provigil and Ritalin at 9am and fall back to sleep at 9:30 am. I take my medication on an empty stomach but the wakefulness is almost non existent. I want to volunteer to be a case study because I believe I am a rare individual with Narcolepsy. I want to find out if there is an underlying problem because I hear of people getting addicted to these drugs and they barely have an affect on me. I want to live a normal life and not be sleepy all day, everyday."

Irama Tenej June 9, 2016

"IMHO, modafinil is a good medication. I was originally diagnosed with EDS. Couple years later, MSLT showed REM, blablabla, narcolepsy. I've tried it ALL. best was Dexedrine which is no longer manufactured (as far as I understand). Adderral dropped me down to about 95lbs (even tho I'm a small girl). Ritalin made me super anxious and mute and slow. And provigil was... Just ok and VERY expensive. Stopped the provigil because it cost $500 a month, 60tabs BID 100 mg. I just can't keep paying for it. I went back to Ritalin which is the cheapest of them all cause I thought I was better. Never been more wrong! Not being on the provigil has shown me, I DO HAVE NARCOLEPSY. W/o provigil, I can barely function :-/. But how can I carve out $500 for it?!"

Geeeceee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

"I have narcolepsy which went undiagnosed for decades. I don't drink coffee and for years self medicated using caffeine tablets and diet sodas. Finally in desperation started looking for answers via the net, had a sleep study and voila, narcolepsy. Tried Ritalin with no effect, then Provigil and for the first time felt normal and productive. Health insurance would not cover and soon I was paying $800.00 a month for meds. To make matters worse, the Provigil soon lost any efficacy. Ultimately my Doc, reluctantly prescribed Adderall and I have been taking 30mg in the AM and 20 more around lunch. This works ok, but still need caffeine."

Carter Carter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2015

"Sensational medication. Provigil taken alone for my narcolepsy kept me awake and alert when needed yet allowed me to take my short nap(s) through out the day when needed."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

"I have taken Provigil for 5 years now (since I was 16) 400 mgs a day, as the lower dosage was ineffective. It has been a Godsend. I really struggled through school, and whilst it didn't help me get top grades, it did wonders for keeping me awake during lessons. I'm awake for around 15 hours a day, with a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and 7 hours sleep at night. The best part is being able to have a sleep pattern, something which beforehand, I could never experience. Without this drug I couldn't never get anything done."

Frogyrock July 27, 2015

"I'm in the navy and it was very hard fighting my sleep for the first 5 years of being in I finally got a sleep study an they diagnosed me with narcolepsy. I don't really like taking medication for anything but my doctor introduced me to Provigil. I finally feel like a normal person, although the first month I had very bad headaches it slowly went away and I went from taking 1 100mg pill a day to 2 100mg pills. My body got used to it within the first 2mths. Overall I love this medicine. works pretty good for me."

lola14$ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

"I am a former college football player who has had narcolepsy for years. I have been on Provigil for over a year now. I started with the lowest dose possible and after 3-6 months am now on the highest dose possible. The medicine has little side effects for me which is great except it curbs my appetite a bit. But I find my body has become immune to the medicine as the impact becomes less and less. I take 4 pills a day and even though I am not falling asleep as much and wasting the day away, I still have no energy. When I am sitting there awake I'm just useless. I don't want to go on an amphetamine but this medicine just isn't working to well for me."

28wnarcolepsy September 9, 2014

"This was more effective than any others tried including Ritalin, Vyvanse which made my heart rate rise to the 140s. Modafinil worked quickly but not suddenly and lasted for the entire day."

Millie E. Elmore (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 11, 2014

"I tried to write a lot more, but the space is limited. I'd tried ADHD medicines and loading up with caffeine, but nothing seemed to work to manage my excessive sleep cycles. I stumbled across information on Provigil, and asked my doctor if I could try it. I was skeptical because I have eczema, and I have to be careful about the medications, foods, and external allergens I'm exposed to. I began at the lowest dose once/day, and increased to that twice a day after a year and a half, because it seemed the effectiveness was decreasing. I do take breaks from the meds, usually for a day or two, but I've had to for months (cost) and haven't experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms, like with all the other chemicals."

rues February 7, 2014

"I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house."

Kathy0323 September 23, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Provigil along with Adderall and felt the best ever. I was alert, not on too much Adderall so I didn't feel bad from that--Then my insurance company wouldn't cover Provigil any more, they pushed Nuvigil--it made me sleepier."

Cheri408 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2013

"Provigil worked for my narcolepsy for about 6 months. After that, I began to have bouts of insomnia at night and became ultra sleepy during the day times. I was prescribed sleep medications to help combat the new side effects. Things did not seem to improve. I also gained 40 pounds during the time I took Provigil (which was a total of 9 months). As a woman, gaining weight was my LEAST desirable side effect of all. Finally, I switched off of Provigil and returned to what was working for me originally, Adderall XR 30 mg one to two times per day (depending on what my schedule was like that day). I only switched off of Adderall XR originally because my doctor was concerned about the potential long term cardiovascular effects on my body."

Jackit September 3, 2013

"Wide awake, enhanced reflexes, but too expensive."

Sagemonkey July 25, 2013

"I found that this medicine was good at keeping my body awake, but I still felt like my mind was falling asleep. After about 4 or 5 days on it I developed the worst migraine of my life...when I get migraines they usually resolve with just half of a Vicodin. After taking two full Vicodin's I still had the most raging migraine ever. It lasted for 3 days. Once it resolved I went back on the Provigil two days later another raging migraine. That was it for me. "

AbbeyL (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2013

"For the past few years, my friends all made fun of me for how many naps I took. Eventually, I was not able to leave very far from my house lest I get a sleep attack and need to lay down immediately. I've slept everywhere - from the bathroom floor at my work (before I was fired for leaving early so many times to sleep) to friends cars during the middle of the day. After FINALLY getting a narcolepsy diagnosis (good luck getting insurance to pay without it - even the Patient Assist Program won't send you meds unless your diagnosis is documented) I am now experiencing how normal people must live. As long as I take the Provigil at the exact times I need to (100mg at 8am, noon, 4pm) I can work, making me feel like an asset to society again."

Sleepy Sister (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2013

"I've had delayed sleep phase syndrome, mood disorder and ADHD all my life, due to brain injury at birth and a family pattern of delayed sleep phase syndrome. I managed a successful professional career but with great difficulty and with struggles with different medications. I way overused caffeine, with mixed results and side effects. Provigil has been wonderful and I wish it had been available when I was a child and in school and working. I feel normal and alert and not constantly fighting sleepiness, inattention and depression. I can't help wondering how much better I might have done with this medicine. It is helping me with my second career as an artist. "

awake all day January 23, 2013

"I took Provigil for about 7 years. When I was working my insurance covered it. I had not idea of the price. It is wonderful medicine but way too expensive if you have to pay for it. Without any discounts it's approximately $1,300 per prescription. Am on Medicare now and they will not cover it so am no longer taking. It was great on keeping me from sleeping all the time and helped a lot with my depression. Perhaps the price will come down someday and I can start it again. Highly recommended."

bettyredd69 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2013

"I was diagnosed with narcolepsy around 7th grade, and pretty much sleep through middle school. I took Ritalin about up to 10th grade which moderately helped me stay awake, but I still would always crash multiple times a day due to the fact that it doesn't completely eliminate excessive sleepiness and trying to perfect your taking-schedule really is crucial with any narcolepsy prescribed medication. When my neurologist started me on Provigil, I was pretty shocked by the lack of side-effects it had, and it was a somewhat natural awake feeling as others have mentioned. I went from taking 2 (200 mg) pills a day to taking 2-3 (200 mg) pills a day depending on my schedule, exercise, or exam studying. "

pjse545604 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 5, 2012

"Had no life at all except pain and overwhelming fatigue for 10 years. Visited many doctors with no help at all. I am a scientist began tracking medicines that were in the pipeline - came across Provigil, looked like it was the one for me. When it became available I was first in line. changed my life completely; I was normal again; I could produce again and did to a stunning degree. 3 weeks ago, after 8 years, Provigil completely stopped working. I know all the obvious reasons but makes no sense, I am again existing with no quality to go forward. Am manically changing to Adderall while I try to figure this out."

GodHelmet (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2012

"Felt like the energizer bunny! Within an hour I was racing around work. Pain I normally have(back surgery) disappeared but after 6 hrs when I slowed down finally, I ached everywhere!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2012

"For over 5 years Provigil worked very well. It would appear I have developed a tolerance as within the past 6 months I have had an extreme decrease in efficacy. "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2012

"I was good the first two days on this medicine but on the third day I got lots of itching and skin sensitivity. I was hoping this would work for me but it did not."

Anonymous October 9, 2012

"I have Narcolepsy with Cataplexy and am currently taking Provigil during the day when I first wake up. I have noticed that my Cataplexy attacks are fewer but it doesn't stop them all. I still have at least 3 big attacks a week. I have found that I am more alert taking Ritalin but have more cataplectic attacks. I am currently working with my doc to up the dosage because the 200mg are not enough. I have had some side effects with the medicine. Mood Swings, becoming fixated on a task or project, confusion, headache and some depression. I am currently a full time student and for me taking Provigil to prevent attacks vs being more alert is the best option for me at this point."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2012