User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Modafinil Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Modafinil to treat ADHD

"This is an untapped gem for people with ADHD. Yes I take it off label (particularly armodafinil) but it certainly works. Yes you might not feel as energetic as you do if you take adderall. But if you are looking for a change or just a break or every other week break from adderall to allow your poor brain and central nervous system some rest, this is for you."

Kt (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2018

"I had been on Concerta in high school for questionable ADHD diagnosis, and it had a VERY minimal benefit. So minimal that after 2 school years it was determined my problem was probably more attributable to being "smarter than your average bear" and I just was not being challenged in my non-honours and non-dual credit classes. Made it through Uni and my doctorate degrees OK by overloading my schedule and surviving on coffee and caffeine tabs, taking 18 hr semesters instead of the rec'd 12-15 hrs. Fast forward to a few yrs later, I have been on Adderall for about 4 mo, titrating to the perfect dose of 2×5mg at 8am & 5mg at noon. Was switched to modafinil B/C my anorexia nervosa and I can't wake up, get out of bed, finish reading an email. Hate it!"

MiriArley (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

"I've severe ADD, in Romania ADHD was recognised for adults only a couple of years ago, Ritalin like meds aren't legal for adults, only Strattera and I need to take my parents to testify I'd had symptoms since my childhood - impossible. As I also used to fight not to fall asleep during the day, e.g. tramways, my family doctor wrote a prescription Modafinil 100mg -I couldn't afford to buy more, it was ~E100, now ~E20. Tried one pill in my free days - had no real effect. Later I found a bigger dose had a great effect on my ADD. Dosage matters. Huge help for depression from not being able to handle your life & for related pb. I'm 42 - quality of life & being able to have things done matters more than some side effects (headaches used to be just at first)"

CarmenCL July 6, 2017

"This medicine is literally a life changer. For so long I took adderall to get me through the day and to sustain focus during college courses. Adderall gave me severe anxiety and depression and I thought I had lost all hope seeing as that is "the best" drug for ADD... WRONG! Modafinil gives you the same level of focus without ANY side effects... no anxiety, no depression, no euphoria (which is great because adderall is very addictive) and minimal weight loss. It has improved my life to the point that my friends and family members have been commenting on how great I sound. I just wanted to share my experience (never have before, but I felt compelled to because this is an emotional topic for me) in case you're nervous about giving it a shot."

There is Hope (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

"I started taking this for adhd when I realized that adderall wasn't cutting it anymore. Adderall works for about a year and then starts to become ineffective unless you keep upping your dose. After a year and a half I started searching for alternatives and came across this MIRACLE. It is not prescribed for adhd in the united states so insurance will not cover it for the most part. I have to order it overseas (it is technically illegal to do so in the US but customs only cares about abusive drugs). I really hope some researchers test armodafinil and modafinil for adhd and depression. It has done a lot for me. I highly recommend it."

kat kat February 11, 2017

"Excellent drug I have been taking it now 1.5 years. Before I was taking Adderall 30mg ER for my Traumatic Brain Injury from auto accident 2007. From the accident I went into a coma and suffered head injuries to the Frontol Lobe. Recently I stopped the Adderall and feel much calmer and happy without the side effects of Adderall. Now I am just taking Modafinal 200 mg. I gained about 8lbs in the first three weeks to a stable weight which is OK but my brain is much clearer. I'm fortunate I don't have to pay for Modafinal as I'm totally disabled and have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome due to Opioids. I have not been taking them for 25 years due to work related injuries from a Government Law Enforcement Job. The CFS is opioid induced so my WC Doctor writes it for that.."

K...Wood December 17, 2016

"Have taken both Nuvigil 250-375 and Provigil 200-300 (1 to 1.5 tabs of each) They are wonderful for both memory and Attention (don't have Hyperactive/Impulsive criteria); Not amphetamines, I have stopped suddenly with no withdrawal whatsoever; Schedule 4 not 2--Dont have to see Dr every month. No side effects at all for me"

Peter50 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2016

"I'm a 28 yo male, with former drug addiction (mainly GHB), ADHD and anxiety/depression related symptoms and treated with Zoloft 100 mg., baclofen 70 mg., modafinil 400 mg. daily and clonazepam 2-4 mg. when needed. Modafinil helps me to concentrate and focus without the side effects I've experienced with dexamphetamine, dexmethylphenidate and Ritalin® (methylphenidate). It also helps me with drowsiness and fatigue, caused by baclofen. Although I am a former drug addict, I don't experience any addiction or dependence problems with modafinil. I'm from the Netherlands, where my insurance covers the above medications fully."

wdekok (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2016

"I am a former cocaine addict who has struggled with low mood and cravings long after I stopped using. My psychiatrist said cocaine increases dopamine and now I was suffering from not enough of it. He said Provigil can increase dopamine without the dangerous effects of cocaine. I take 200mg twice a day and I feel the best I've felt in ages."

Dan9447 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

"I started using Adderall in College to help me balance my workload and social life, but I switched to Modafinil after hearing all the bad press about Adderall as very similar to meth and found many of my superiors in the company I was working for to be using Modafinil for performance enhancement. Modafinil has provided the focus and energy that Adderall provides but without the side effects. Highly recommended"

Superbuddha (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

"I was on adderall for 12 years after diagnosed with ADHD. I have always had problems being tired all the time and that helped along with the other sytoms. I have fallen asleep driving etc. I saw a neurologist his recommendation was a sleep specialist and take me off the adderall. My regular doctor weaned me off the adderall and started the modafinl. I started with 100 mg at the end off the adderall then went to 200 mg alone that done nothing she upped it to 400mg and it helped for a few months now it's like I'm taking a sugar pill it does nothing. I can not function or stay awake. Now going for sleep study."

Angela101 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

"I have ADHD, tried Modafinil 100mg, side effects, stomach upset, lost appetite, can't sleep at all for 2 days. Headache. Made me feel jittery, I felt all over the place couldn't concentrate actually. Also made me feel unsocial and bad mood. The only thing is yes you won't sleep. Gave it a try a few more times, don't like it. Sticking to Adderall, much better for ADHD!!!"

MilashkaNY (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"I take Modafinil / Provigil for head injury related problems. I've tried Ritalin it didn't work well. Provigil is excellent, no side effects or problems. Perfect."

Frenchmen (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2014

"Modafinil is quite useful and I have not experienced habit forming properties; this was a problem with all other ADHD medications I have been prescribed over the past 10 years. Although I also tried Strattera for three months prior to my starting Provigil. My only issue is that so far I have only been able to receive 200mg which only helps me until afternoon. I am in need of a large enough prescription so I can have an afternoon dose. Hopefully somehow my insurance can become convinced that this is necessary for my health."

conorsilva (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2012

Provigil (modafinil): "Provigil works great for energy, as well as ADD. I also suffer from Major Panic Disorder, and depression. This medicine gives me such a boost with no side effects, other then a little mood change late in the evening. I recently lost my health insurance due to my divorce, and could not afford it for 6 months, and what a difference I felt, no energy, and I slept more then ever. I think this medication is over priced, by all means, especially for people that it really works for and helps them though. The insurance company's need to cover this medicine, especially when it helps people with ADD and depression, and gives them energy that helps motivate them."

ChelleC January 29, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): "I've been using Provigil in combination with Wellbutrin for my adult ADD. I'm almost 50 and was just diagnosed 3 years ago. I tried the stimulants and like the way they helped my concentration and focus but I couldn't take them because of my high blood pressure. I've also tried Strattera which worked really well but again I couldn't deal with the side effects (not being able to urinate can be painful). Provigil really helps slow down my racing thoughts but it doesn't seem to help with my concentration or distract ability. I take it first thing in the morning and usually can't get to sleep until midnight or 1.00am. Luckily I work at home so that's not a real problem. I'm glad to see it's worked well for some of the others who have posted comments."

Distracted June 10, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): "I am 42 years old and have suffered panic disorder since I was 17 years old. Have racing thoughts, mind won't slow down enough to accomplish a task. Since taking Provigil I have moved forward and been able to complete and follow through on projects and not get frustrated and anxious. Have had no side effects, nor have I experienced a come off effect. I'm stable as she goes all day long. It has not effected my sleep either."

cauley April 30, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): "I've been on Provigil for 2 years now for ADD like symptoms caused by a brain injury. After 14 years of not being able to keep my thoughts together enough to hold a job, I can now connect the dots and have been working full time for a year and a half. I do not take Provigil to make me smarter or give me an edge. I just want to be able to balance my check book and hold a job. I no longer have insurance to help with the cost, so I have been trying to make what I have left last as long as possible. Lately I've been having trouble organizing my thoughts and being able to finish the simplest of chores. Looking back, it is amazing how much this drug helps me to live a normal life."

Anonymous April 1, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): "I really love Provigil. I used it for ADD. Provigil helped me stay focused and motivated. The only side effect was if I took it to late in the day I might have a little trouble getting to sleep. It makes sense because it is a stimulant. It is a great drug for ADD because it doesn't cause all those nasty side effects other ADD drugs have. Unfortunately I have to stop using it because insurance won't cover Provigil because it has not been approved to be used as an ADD drug. Completely disappointing. It truly is an amazing drug for ADD."

Anonymous January 27, 2009