User Reviews for Modafinil (Page 3)

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Depression

6.5

Summary of Modafinil reviews 7.4 368 reviews

Reviews for Modafinil

BeeBee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2019

For ADHD: "Since I am unmedicated for ADD, I've been trying several natural nootropics in the past. After reading about Modafinil, I've decided to give it a try. I mostly have problems with concentration and procrastination, and unfortunately, it doesn't work. I know that Modafinil is supposed to keep you awake and focused, but it doesn't help with motivation. Well, the thing is that it's not even keeping me awake. I've been experimenting with several doses, in various situations, I was taking care of not eating or drinking anything that interacts, but most of the time I can take a nap on it. And when it works, it makes me very anxious and irritable, so I can't take things done because of the anxiety. I gave it 5 stars, because some days it helps, kinda, but so far I'm not happy with the results. I think it works, but not for ADD."

Vicki Lynn March 19, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy with Cataplexy when I was a freshman in high school. I am now 26 years old with a 3 year old daughter. While I was in high school, I was prescribed Ritalin, which did help. Recently I was prescribed Adderall and it worked GREAT. I was taking a 20mg tablet twice a day (one in the morning, once at noon or 1 pm). I went and saw a new Sleep Disorder Doctor who prescribed the Modafinil at 200mg a day (1 tablet in the morning). I am still absolutely exhausted by noon or 1pm. On Modafinil I am fine in the morning after I take it, but again, by Noon or 1pm, I am absolutely exhausted, can't focus and can barley keep my eyes open enough to function. I had high hopes for this medication but it just doesn't seem to be enough for me. I don't feel any different then when I wasn't taking anything."

Sleepyhead March 12, 2019

For Narcolepsy: "I am on 200 mg of Modafinil, 20 mg of Adderall XR, 30 mg of Adderall IR and I am still falling asleep. Provigil is way too expensive even with insurance was over $3000.00. I am already having issues at work with meeting deadlines, with is causing the depression and anxiety. I just do not know how I am going to keep my job if I cannot stay awake. I am just wondering what happens when the medication will no longer work at the highest dosage."

patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2019

For Depression: "Modafinil is one of the best prescription drugs I have ever taken and I have tried everything. If it was not for this medication I could not even get up in the morning and do anything. This is the only one that works. No bad side effects at all only problem insurance won't pay for this so I somehow try too come up with the money too pay for this. This is something too try if nothing else's works. Also I have taken all ADD and depression meds I have even tried some of the new medication this is one of the Best."

Snuggeben · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I have got my life back. For 3 weeks ago I could not even take a bath without sleeping up to ten hours after. Now I am painting and cleaning my flat. I can make my meals and eat them. And next month I am going to Spain on holidays "

better_now · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2019

For Depression: "I have struggled with major depression since I was 13 (I'm 23 now). I have been put trough the ringer of all the traditional antidepressant classes. I've tried two SSRI's, three SNRI's, several different atypical antipsychotics, Remeron, Lamictal, and Wellbutrin XL. I'm a man and have had terrible sexual side effects with antidepressants. Recently I was diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, and I said I need something new. My psychiatrist suggested Provigil, since it is less likely than other stimulants to worsen high blood pressure. It has been a godsend for my depression. I have energy, intense focus and have been doing much better in my college courses. Long work shifts that used to drag on forever now seem to fly by. I am more patient and outgoing than I have ever been. Now I just take this and Wellbutrin XL. Definitely recommend. Should be used much more frequently for refractory depression. It's not covered on insurance but I can get it for like $40 per month."

Melvin A · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2019

For ADHD: "I take a prodrug of modafinil called adrafnil but has similar effects, I feel energetic, productive, smart and speedy. This drug works wonders for depression and has made me feel euphoric. I recommend modafinil to anyone facing concentration and depression problems. I started a new job and have A's in school."

1Texasbear · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2018

For ADHD: "I used Provigil for about 6 months “off label” for ADHD , non hyperactive type. I was trying to find something that wasn’t as strong as the Adderall (60mgs) twice daily. My Psychiatrist had me take one 30mg in the morning and a 100mg of Provigil at lunch time. This was generally when I took the second Adderall. The Adderall was immediate release. It seemed to work, but made me have headaches, neck and shoulder pain, and irritability. After 5 months on this regime I started noticing urinary retentiion. I finally got a UTI and had to go back to the Adderall! It’s a good medication for some people, but it wasn’t for me. Also it’s unbelievably expensive if you don’t have insurance that will pay for this medication, even the generic version."

Sillyme123 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "I'm a chronic procrastinator and I've had problems with sticking to my heavy workload as a self-employed person. I'd start but I wouldn't get much done. I also suffer from depression. Modafinil (Modalert) helps. I can now actually get work done, even 100 mg is enough, and I've also found my mood is much more stable during the day. A bad event won't get to me. There's no way to reduce the effect. Even if you take calming substances, such as marijuana, both will have effect at the same time and that's not a very good thing. To get the best effect out of modafinil, you need to be well rested, well fed, hydrated and generally healthy and positive. I tend to be a bit more precise in communication (and I perhaps annoyingly demand the same from others), but this is not a drug that improves cognitive abilities. It just makes me stick to what I wanted to do - which is a huge positive effect that can change one's life for the better. It's a drug against lazyness / procrastination."

theluckyone · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "My experience with modafinil has varied widely based on the manufacturer. Mylan generic is the only one that will work even a little bit for me, but it’s getting harder and harder to find. It cuts through that swimming narcoleptic feeling and allows me to be awake enough to function reasonably well. I felt a bit “driven” when I first started on it, but now I take quite a big dose with no side effects except possibly dry mouth. Other manufacturers’ products, especially Alembic’s, do nothing for me—meaning, I constantly feel like I’m trying to walk through a swimming pool the whole time I’m “awake.” In order to get a more consistent product at the pharmacy, I’m trying to get switched over to name-brand Provigil. I can’t really afford that, but I really can’t afford not to function."

ADHDPT · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2018

For ADHD: "Not effective and gave me headaches and sulfur-odor urine."

tiredalways · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2018

For Fatigue: "I was hoping to feel more energetic but I don’t. I use a CPAP, sleep well and 2 hours after I wake up, I’m lethargic all day long."

Amandalyn · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2018

For Drowsiness: "I've taken this for little over 2 years, and its been a great help to me. I take 200mg daily. Generally 100mg at noon and 100mg at 5pm - with two cups of coffee in the morning. When I wake up really exhausted I might need a pill in the morning... and when I have a late night, or an extra exhausting day I'll take another pill. I do wish this stuff lasted longer for me, one pill a day would be nice. But this works for me, and at least my Dr is awesome enough to let me take how much I feel I need, and to take it when I want. (I tried a bigger dose in the morning but it still wears off just as quick- which is why I break up my daily dose). Good luck to others trying to figure this out!"

The rock November 13, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Works great when I don't take it everyday. I can't get the VA to prescribe it for me even though it's on the formulary and I've been diagnosed with obstructed sleep disorder. "

Gaston · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "Difficult getting prescription. I would wake up and take a 200mg dose and fall right back asleep. If awake, it would help me stay awake through the day. I still need my other prescription medications. Not a substitute for sleep. I do not find: cognitive enhancement, increased awareness/productivity, or mood improvement. Must take early since it is more difficult to get to sleep. Try not to take it daily, but only when need to be functional at work. No impairment with: driving, jitters or manic symptoms. Unlike amphetamines. I feel the efficacy of Modafinil is hyped. Needed to appeal to health plan: documentation from my doctor, letter from my employer, and a letter from myself. The letter from my doctor is what got my health plan to accept my appeal. Given the cost and coverage difficulty, this drug is of minor benefit for me."

Ephialtis · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2018

For Fatigue: "I heard so much about the drug modafinil,that it is used by students to improve alertness, understanding, endurance and blah blah blah all over the net. But it ruins up your comprehension...Period! You might end up munching too much text, but you understand ZERO (though while reading you might FEEL that you are GETTING everything you are reading, but believe me, it's just a FEELING) and retain a big fat ZERO in your brain. At the end of the day, if asked 10 questions you won't even remember whether you read it actually! It ruins your studying BIG TIME! I have been experimenting myself with modafinil for a very long time, and it's a NO GO for me and I wonder it will do any different than me to any other person in the world too. It has FAILED me big time. Also not to forget the respiratory flu like illnesses you will experience while on this medication. If at all, it's just helpful for no brainer activities that don't involve intellect. DON'T take this with a PINCH OF SALT!"

bluebird October 16, 2018

For Depression: "I started taking Provigil for major depression. I cannot take SSRI's so the doctor put me on 450 mg of Wellbutrin. When I took my first Provigil, I was so tired and could not think well. It was tired like one might feel if they had taken a huge overdose of Benadryl. Not a good tired at all. I do not feel like doing anything. I am also diagnosed with anhedonia and PTSD. The main idea I want to get across is that on the day I took the Provigil and felt so horrible about twelve hours later I had a two-hour window of feeling "normal" I did not feel depressed at all and I actually wanted to play solitaire. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this was as my natural state is being in so deep a depression it is hard to make it from one moment to the next. I want so badly to feel like I did in that two-hour window and I want to know if it was the Provigil that caused it. I also wonder If I should quit taking Wellbutrin because maybe together it is just too much."

Aglet · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2018

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: "Did not keep me from falling asleep at work at all"

Danigee92 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2018

For Fatigue: "I purchased a prescription for this drug online strictly as a substitute for adderall . I was taking Adderall to help with my excessive tiredness and wanted to try something safer and less addictive. I am pleasantly surprised with Modafinil. I can take one 200 mg pill in the morning before work, and I feel the effects long after I get home. I can feel it start working right away. I get a little head buzz, my eyes seem to open a little bit more, and I’m generally happier to be awake and starting the day. No crash or comedown. Sleep can be very tough If this drug is taken too late in the day. Also, I do get pretty bad dry mouth while taking Modafinil. Make sure you have water around 24/7. Overall, I am satisfied for what this drug does for me and would recommend to anyone looking for a drug to help them stay awake and alert all day, with way less side effects than Adderall and much less habit-forming."

Ccr September 17, 2018

For ADHD: "Diagnosed PTSD depression and anxiety over 25 years ago. I've been on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds but never felt even 75% better. Tried Modafinil - great. Out of bed, no anxiety or very little. Now doctor thinks I have ADD so was prescribed Adderall. I hate it. I can't tell how well it's working because of having to cope with the anxiety and crashes it causes. Stopped Adderall and tried modafinil again and feel so much better. I don't know exactly what my condition is beyond PTSD. But modafinil has been a life saver. The cost which insurance won't cover Is too high and you do build up a tolerance to it. You have to stop sometimes to clear your system. If I take a high does it doesnt work, or I feel terrible. I take only 50mg at a time-lasts about 4 hours right now..cuts the cost down Never had withdrawals just some sleepiness. Better Compared to other drugs and the horrible side effects and addiction potential."

Sleepy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2018

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: "If you’re looking at “smart drugs,” this review won’t help. Modafinil gives me relief after decades of exhaustion from complex sleep apnea. I use CPAP, but the struggle is real and 200mg modafinil 1x/day makes waking up SO much easier. I have to be strategic about when I take it because it does wear off. Anxiety does not appear to be worse than usual when on this dose, maybe bc I feel more in control. For instance, I can easily decide what needs to be done next and it actually seems doable (poor sleep=reduced cognitive function; often I can't quite pin down the best next step & when I can it seems disproportionately difficult). It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement. Relatives who didn't know I was taking it have noted an increase in my energy and focus. The dr. watches my blood pressure while I’m on it but it’s also easier to make better food & drink choices when I’m not about to fall asleep at any moment & it’s been fine."

Notmah Reilneim · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: "Was prescribed Modafinil for my fatigue, concentration issues and memory issues. I started taking 100 mg the first 2 weeks. Then I Increased to 200 mg. I feel no difference at all. I am just as tired etc as I am without it. I drink enough. I eat well. I'm not sleep deprived. It seems like it works well for many people. Not for me."

Catdad · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2018

For ADHD: "Wow is all I can say. I asked my doctor about Modafinil for my excessive daytime sleepiness and hypersomnia. She mentioned it also might be helpful for my ADHD. I am also prescribed Adzenys (amphetamine) which is great for the cognitive and emotional dysregulation aspects of ADHD, but Modafinil handles other symptoms: overwhelmed mood that results in low energy, anxiety around task initiation, and of course excessive daytime sleepiness. This should be approved for ADHD. And no crash when it wears off!"

Arch · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2018

For Depression: "I got just this and tried it today 200mg and its wonderfully working in 1st day. It's good for depression and for over sleep and laziness. I feel energetic"

DepressedInPortland · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2018

For Depression: "A life-changer. I have treatment resistant depression and have been making the circuit of meds all my life. My depression is characterized by fatigue and lack of motivation. If I had found modafinil when I was younger, my life would have been completely different. But I am grateful I found it now. Along with my Lexapro, it’s exactly what I’ve needed."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)