User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Depression

Also known as: Provigil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Modafinil Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Modafinil

Johnny March 11, 2020

"Have been taking modafinil now for a month to help my depression and just progressed from a starting dose of 100 mg/d to 200mg. So far I have found it to be very good. I’m 65 and for the past couple of years I had been very apathetic about whether or not I went to work. Small tasks in life, to say nothing of some if the less pleasurable tasks at work, seemed overwhelming, so I would simply not do then, but not anymore. Interactions with superiors are a lot smoother. My psychiatrist initially prescribed modafinil a a drug to help this stop using cocaine, and it is working. When I saw him the other I said, where has this medicine been all my life? So far all effects seem positive. At least for me. Used online coupons to get a month’s supply for ~$25. However prices vary widely eve. With coupons by pharmacy, from the price I pay to several hundred dollars a month. Otherwise my insurance wouldn’t cover it, even if my psychiatrist had listed an “on-label” need for it"

kkheflin3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

"After 3 months I quit taking Zoloft for depression after taking Modafinil. It gives me energy from chronic fatigue also. I'm a teacher and I also notice I'm much more alert and focused while taking it. I have mild bipolar 1 also and take Seroquel and Lamictal also. I can't detect any side effects unless I have to take it with my asthma inhaler as then it can cause shakiness, nervousness, sleeplessness, etc. Otherwise it's a great product! I found Zoloft to "numb" me to a degree--I didn't feel sad but I didn't feel happy either. Kind of desensitized."

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

"I take modafinil on and off for OCD & Depression and it works. I have high blood pressure that is treated with meds and this doesn't seem to bother it too much. It messes with my anxiety but not enough to stop using it. If you want to get a job done then this is for you."

Nope · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

"Modafinil helps me feel human. I have had major depression since I was 15 years old. Finally something worked. I developed severe apnea and was prescribed modafinil. Totally unintended but my depression started to subside. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay away if I stop taking modafinil. I asked my psychiatrist to prescribe it for me. He would not. My debate was this, I had taken every single drug cocktail thrown at me for years and years. I never blinked. I complied. Now I find something that works and I can't have it? Put me in a study. I'll do whatever it takes, I said. I'm telling you I have my life back. I can feel happy and hopeful again. He said No."

Coop · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

"For me it's impressive! After my Burnout and the following depression, it was a struggle for me, that I wasn't able to bring the past performance. Lack of energy and concentration, mood swings, bad memory, and so on. With Modafinil I am able to work focused on my dream, fight procrastination (which was a real problem), think-power from past days (I often gave up when I had so solve something complex) I don't take it every day, sometimes only 1-2 days a week. Mostly when I'm working on my project or when I feel really bad. Side Effects: Headache during effect-phase (when I started, but was gone after the third intake) Insomnia (when you take it too late)"

Candy Monster · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

"Modafinil has helped some of my friends continue with their daily activities amid depression, and develop for the better. I have seen no side effects so far."

patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2019

"Modafinil is one of the best prescription drugs I have ever taken and I have tried everything. If it was not for this medication I could not even get up in the morning and do anything. This is the only one that works. No bad side effects at all only problem insurance won't pay for this so I somehow try too come up with the money too pay for this. This is something too try if nothing else's works. Also I have taken all ADD and depression meds I have even tried some of the new medication this is one of the Best."

better_now · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2019

"I have struggled with major depression since I was 13 (I'm 23 now). I have been put trough the ringer of all the traditional antidepressant classes. I've tried two SSRI's, three SNRI's, several different atypical antipsychotics, Remeron, Lamictal, and Wellbutrin XL. I'm a man and have had terrible sexual side effects with antidepressants. Recently I was diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, and I said I need something new. My psychiatrist suggested Provigil, since it is less likely than other stimulants to worsen high blood pressure. It has been a godsend for my depression. I have energy, intense focus and have been doing much better in my college courses. Long work shifts that used to drag on forever now seem to fly by. I am more patient and outgoing than I have ever been. Now I just take this and Wellbutrin XL. Definitely recommend. Should be used much more frequently for refractory depression. It's not covered on insurance but I can get it for like $40 per month."

bluebird October 16, 2018

"I started taking Provigil for major depression. I cannot take SSRI's so the doctor put me on 450 mg of Wellbutrin. When I took my first Provigil, I was so tired and could not think well. It was tired like one might feel if they had taken a huge overdose of Benadryl. Not a good tired at all. I do not feel like doing anything. I am also diagnosed with anhedonia and PTSD. The main idea I want to get across is that on the day I took the Provigil and felt so horrible about twelve hours later I had a two-hour window of feeling "normal" I did not feel depressed at all and I actually wanted to play solitaire. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this was as my natural state is being in so deep a depression it is hard to make it from one moment to the next. I want so badly to feel like I did in that two-hour window and I want to know if it was the Provigil that caused it. I also wonder If I should quit taking Wellbutrin because maybe together it is just too much."

Arch · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2018

"I got just this and tried it today 200mg and its wonderfully working in 1st day. It's good for depression and for over sleep and laziness. I feel energetic"

DepressedInPortland · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2018

"A life-changer. I have treatment resistant depression and have been making the circuit of meds all my life. My depression is characterized by fatigue and lack of motivation. If I had found modafinil when I was younger, my life would have been completely different. But I am grateful I found it now. Along with my Lexapro, it’s exactly what I’ve needed."

nick · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

"They should use it more"

Connie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 25, 2018

"Within days of taking provigil with another antidepressant I was feeling so much better. I was starting a new job and really needed to be on top of things, not sad and teary eyed. It gave me focus, energy and a feeling of wellbeing, finally! Unfortunately my current insurance will not ok it for treatment of depression as that was not what it was originally used for. Very disappointing because it worked so well for so many years."

NONAME · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2018

"I tried this medication for SAD (seasonal depression) complete lack of motivation and tiredness. I immediately felt my mood was enhanced and more positive and definitely helps with procrastination - got so much done. Not sure if I will take it every day as I've read it's best to have a break after a few days. Worked for me"

Mackman007 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2018

"I concentrate much better, my memory has improved and seem to be much cheerful. Wow, this is an incredible drug. I think I'm gonna go back to College and conquer my classes and get my degree."

SadandSleepy · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2017

"I started Provigil (Modafinil) to treat the extreme fatigue due to major depressive disorder. I've only been taking 100mg daily for two days, but the effects are immediate. I can think faster and more clearly (no more brain fog), my depression is non-existent, and I have a tremendous boost of energy! The only side effect has been heart palpitations in the afternoon. I've read this goes away after about a week. Not bothersome enough to stop. My insurance wouldn't cover the cost to use it for depression. With an online coupon I was able to get it for under $70. All other pharmacies were between $115 and $600 for a month supply! And those prices are for the generic with coupon. Cash prices for brand name was a little over $1,000!"

Cotswnw · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2017

"Depressive mood with ability to function well but have noted a significant improvement I mood since prescribed. Thankfully. Have to monitor amount I take and should not mix with strong coffee"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2017

"It's only my first day on modafinil and what an impact it has made! My head is crystal clear, no confusion, no negative feelings or procrastination. After about 3 hours of taking the medication I had my whole day planned out and was able to complete each and every task with ease. I am 50 years old and up until today had spent most of my life unable to complete the simplest of tasks. I would just spend my time thinking about the task and waste away the time, to sum up my life to this point has been full of promises and unfulfilled potential. But after my first day on modafinil I feel that my life has just begun. I pray that the effects of modafinil do not diminish. I have decided to keep a video diary of my journey on youtube"

nannymae868 September 22, 2017

"I have suffered with depression for 4 years and have tried so many drugs that I have lost count. I finally found a combination of drugs that were working, but not completely. My NP then added Provigil and my depression resolved. I am able to get a lot done without feeling tired all of the time. However, I was on 200 mg and only had mild benefits. My NP increased the dose to 400 mg and it has helped tremendously. It has given me more hope that I have had in years."

Ambs82 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2017

"This medicine really works for depression. It helps me get stuff done and not want to sleep all of the time. Taken with coffee it is a lot stronger. I give this a 9 on a scale of 1-10."

B_1 May 30, 2017

"It is great and all for giving you laser focus, however after the drug wears off from my system I notice that I get a little bit of a crash. I get depressive symptoms that's why I don't take it anymore."

GreysMommy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2017

"So far, so good!!"

The Pale King · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2017

"I am currently taking Venlafaxine 225, Risperidone .50 and Buspirone 7.5 for OCD, Depression, and Social Anxiety Disorder. After experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness, my doctor prescribed Modafinil 300. Not only has it CURED any notion of sleepiness during the day, but it has augmented my other medications 2-fold! I don't know what it would or would not do as a monotherepy, but it has helped tremendously and I am now asymptomatic. Additionally, it has increased my cognitive function - directly or indirectly - such that I scored 12 points higher than previous on a standardized IQ test. I am now a member of Mensa. These are anecdotal, subjective observations to be sure, but I am convinced of its efficacy for multiple issues."

Ash10105 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 6, 2017

"Highly rate this medicine. It's not an anti-depressant but with depression comes a lot of sleepiness which this is great for. Also the AD's often cause sleepiness. Modafinil does what it says it does. It keeps you awake/alert and combats AD induced fatigue/tiredness. I'd question if it makes you 'smarter'. For me (83kg, male, 27 YO) at 100mg it is a mild keep me awake. At 150 it's perfect. At 200mg it's stimulating, alerting and induces mild hypomania (Which is okay but I feel slightly too 'buzzed' at 200mg). No bothersome side effects experienced other than mild hypomania which is sometimes pleasant and not too alarming. NOTE - I am prone to anxiety but this did not increase anxiety levels for me. Do not take 8 hrs b4 planning on sleeping."

mrandrewv · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 5, 2016

"I knew the Modafinil was helping with my MDD. The benefits were hard to miss. Even when I was in a bad bout of depression I could still work. That's never happened before. What I didn't realise was that it was actually keeping my depression at bay. I found out because the factory that makes all the 'Provigil' for my entire country shut down so I had to stop taking it. My doctor has put me on a large dose of Ritalin and there is absolutely comparison. I am currently in the worst bout of depression I've had in ages. It's taking all I've got just to handle my immediate deadlines. I am feeling the Modafinil's absence, acutely. Other drug info: I am also taking a combination of Welbutrin and St. John's Wort. They work very well together."