User Reviews for Modafinil to treat Depression

Also known as: Provigil

Modafinil has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 82% of those users who reviewed Modafinil reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Modafinil Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Modafinil

Alice · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 27, 2021

“I have treatment resistant depression, for which little has helped. I have gone from naturopathic, homeopathic and psychiatric modes of treatment. I have also been in therapy for years. Although the anti-depressants that I take have a marginal affect on me, nothing has helped as much as modifinal. Unfortunately, California does not recognize it as a treatment for depression.”

Joyce · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

“No exaggeration modafinil saved my life. Before this medication I was severely depressed and had tried numerous drugs with little success. I also tried ECT with no luck. I was very suicidal and hopeless then my psychiatrist prescribed me modafinil 200mg and my life has changed dramatically. I no longer spend days in bed. I am actually functional and even enjoy life. I am no longer suicidal for the first time in a decade.”

TxMom · Taken for 10 years or more January 10, 2021

“I have taken antidepressants many years. They helped but it was always my lack of motivation that was a problem. My Dr added Modafinil. It works for me almost every day. It is not like taking a stimulant. It makes me feel like myself.!!”

Nope · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

“Modafinil helps me feel human. I have had major depression since I was 15 years old. Finally something worked. I developed severe apnea and was prescribed modafinil. Totally unintended but my depression started to subside. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay away if I stop taking modafinil. I asked my psychiatrist to prescribe it for me. He would not. My debate was this, I had taken every single drug cocktail thrown at me for years and years. I never blinked. I complied. Now I find something that works and I can't have it? Put me in a study. I'll do whatever it takes, I said. I'm telling you I have my life back. I can feel happy and hopeful again. He said No.”

jaguiar May 20, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “This is a WONDER DRUG in the use of depression. I have suffered for years with depression and never with any relief from the mainstream anti-depressants. Either the side effects were intolerable, or the medicine just didn't work. Within 3 days of taking Provigil, I was the happiest, most productive I had been in a year. The first 2 days I was still really sleepy, and the 3rd day, a little hyper, but after that day I have felt EXCELLENT. I don't have anxiety attacks anymore and I get a full night of "good" sleep and wake up feeling extremely refreshed and I am happy again. I was on my couch for a straight 6 months sleeping and crying until I started this medicine. It literally saved my life.”

Coop · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“For me it's impressive! After my Burnout and the following depression, it was a struggle for me, that I wasn't able to bring the past performance. Lack of energy and concentration, mood swings, bad memory, and so on. With Modafinil I am able to work focused on my dream, fight procrastination (which was a real problem), think-power from past days (I often gave up when I had so solve something complex) I don't take it every day, sometimes only 1-2 days a week. Mostly when I'm working on my project or when I feel really bad. Side Effects: Headache during effect-phase (when I started, but was gone after the third intake) Insomnia (when you take it too late)”

downindumps · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2014

“I have suffered from major depression for over 20 years. The past 2 1/2 years have been devastating. I have now treatment resistant depression. I have been on all of the "modern" and some "old school" antidepressants including Lithium and MAOIs. I have had 2 rounds of ECT treatments in the past 2 years. They have knocked the suicidal ideation for a little while but this most recent round of 12 required "Maintenance" sessions. I have had 3 maintenance ECTs then my psych doc prescribed me Provigil. I started at 100 mg for 2 weeks then upped it to 200 mg. for the past 2 weeks. I have made it through the holiday season feeling the best I have in years. Now I am back to the way I was before my depression. Don't know why but it works.”

patty · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2019

“Modafinil is one of the best prescription drugs I have ever taken and I have tried everything. If it was not for this medication I could not even get up in the morning and do anything. This is the only one that works. No bad side effects at all only problem insurance won't pay for this so I somehow try too come up with the money too pay for this. This is something too try if nothing else's works. Also I have taken all ADD and depression meds I have even tried some of the new medication this is one of the Best.”

Depression diagnosed in 1965 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2015

“Since diagnosis I have been on almost every medication that has been introduced. For the last five years I have taken 300mg Bupropion, 300mg Gabapentin 3/day, 200mg Modafinil, and additionally, Xanax, as needed. The Bupropion alone was not helping somatic symptoms and the Gabapentin solved that. The added Modafinil caused no noticeable side effects. It did provide increased energy, a more positive mood, emotional stability, and a feeling of cheerfulness which was foreign to me. It does not prevent a good afternoon nap when needed and has never interfered with sleep at night. As I told my physician, "The bupropion keeps me from wanting to die and the modafinil makes me want to live," Any minor side effects would be worth the benefits”

Johnny March 11, 2020

“Have been taking modafinil now for a month to help my depression and just progressed from a starting dose of 100 mg/d to 200mg. So far I have found it to be very good. I’m 65 and for the past couple of years I had been very apathetic about whether or not I went to work. Small tasks in life, to say nothing of some if the less pleasurable tasks at work, seemed overwhelming, so I would simply not do then, but not anymore. Interactions with superiors are a lot smoother. My psychiatrist initially prescribed modafinil a a drug to help this stop using cocaine, and it is working. When I saw him the other I said, where has this medicine been all my life? So far all effects seem positive. At least for me. Used online coupons to get a month’s supply for ~$25. However prices vary widely eve. With coupons by pharmacy, from the price I pay to several hundred dollars a month. Otherwise my insurance wouldn’t cover it, even if my psychiatrist had listed an “on-label” need for it”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2017

“It's only my first day on modafinil and what an impact it has made! My head is crystal clear, no confusion, no negative feelings or procrastination. After about 3 hours of taking the medication I had my whole day planned out and was able to complete each and every task with ease. I am 50 years old and up until today had spent most of my life unable to complete the simplest of tasks. I would just spend my time thinking about the task and waste away the time, to sum up my life to this point has been full of promises and unfulfilled potential. But after my first day on modafinil I feel that my life has just begun. I pray that the effects of modafinil do not diminish. I have decided to keep a video diary of my journey on youtube”

DepressedInPortland · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2018

“A life-changer. I have treatment resistant depression and have been making the circuit of meds all my life. My depression is characterized by fatigue and lack of motivation. If I had found modafinil when I was younger, my life would have been completely different. But I am grateful I found it now. Along with my Lexapro, it’s exactly what I’ve needed.”

Anonymous June 4, 2009

Provigil (modafinil): “This turned me from a deep, suicidal depression into a happy, productive person in 2 days. I am also able to sleep without any sleep medicines (first time in years). My problem is that my insurance refuses to pay for it because using Provigil for depression/bipolar is off-label, and it is so expensive that I'm just starting to wean myself off of it, sadly. There is another drug, Nuvigil that is supposed to be even better, and is currently being tested (very positive results so far) for FDA approval in the use of it for depression and bipolar. It's been a long road for me, so I can only pray that the FDA moves quickly on this.”

sgc46 March 9, 2012

“I read the experiences of people on Provigil before I tried it and as I was in the midst of a very deep depression and has tried so many other anti-depressants. I was suicidal and desperate for help. As most other people found, it is a miracle! I cannot believe that I feel this good. I am back to my old positive self. I am taking 200 mgm in the morning. The last medicine that worked was Adderall which worked initially but wore off after a year. I still had the rapid heart beat, but the depression continued. Thank you to everyone who posted their positive feedback as it gave me hope that the medicine might work. This is an off label use, but it sure works for me!”

better_now · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2019

“I have struggled with major depression since I was 13 (I'm 23 now). I have been put trough the ringer of all the traditional antidepressant classes. I've tried two SSRI's, three SNRI's, several different atypical antipsychotics, Remeron, Lamictal, and Wellbutrin XL. I'm a man and have had terrible sexual side effects with antidepressants. Recently I was diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, and I said I need something new. My psychiatrist suggested Provigil, since it is less likely than other stimulants to worsen high blood pressure. It has been a godsend for my depression. I have energy, intense focus and have been doing much better in my college courses. Long work shifts that used to drag on forever now seem to fly by. I am more patient and outgoing than I have ever been. Now I just take this and Wellbutrin XL. Definitely recommend. Should be used much more frequently for refractory depression. It's not covered on insurance but I can get it for like $40 per month.”

ModafiMedic · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

“Took these for a few weeks leading up to an exam with no thought that they'd help with my depression. Having suffered from chronic depression since early adolescence which was not at all helped by the numerous anti-depressants I've tried over the years these pills were a blessing. It's the first time I'd felt like myself in years; I had energy, drive, my thinking became more positive and it was like this crushing weight was taken off from me and I could actually enjoy life again. Really hope this medication becomes licensed for use in treating depression in the UK, could potentially improve countless lives.”

hellogal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2012

“Provigil was added to my meds for depression. I love it! Modafinil has made more of a difference than anything I've ever been given. I can concentrate now and actually have more get up and go than I've had in years. I take 100 mg everyday. Tried 200 mg, but feel just fine with 100 mg.”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

“After 3 months I quit taking Zoloft for depression after taking Modafinil. It gives me energy from chronic fatigue also. I'm a teacher and I also notice I'm much more alert and focused while taking it. I have mild bipolar 1 also and take Seroquel and Lamictal also. I can't detect any side effects unless I have to take it with my asthma inhaler as then it can cause shakiness, nervousness, sleeplessness, etc. Otherwise it's a great product! I found Zoloft to "numb" me to a degree--I didn't feel sad but I didn't feel happy either. Kind of desensitized.”

Minnysmom December 3, 2015

“Taking care of 90 year old m in law has put my life in deep dark depression. I was not able to function, my thinking speech and soul were leaving me more each day. Changing her diapers,and watching her sit idle 12 hours a day was more than I could handle. This med has given me patience,focus & my smile back. I am able to take care of her with a better outlook, and take care of my kids & husband again. It's a blessing and it worked for me in 2 days. My fatigue is gone,my mood is brighter the gloom has gone away. I feel like I'm alive where as before I took it, I felt dead inside & had no hope just wanted to stay in bed. I am grateful to have a normal feeling,it's been a miracle for me.need to appeal ins co.as they don't want to pay.”

TraderAsh September 18, 2015

“I can't believe it. It is just like everybody says it is! I never respond to medications this well. After 2 days I feel like a different person. Everything is better! I don't care if this drug took 20 years off my life, it is worth it!”

Ash10105 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 6, 2017

“Highly rate this medicine. It's not an anti-depressant but with depression comes a lot of sleepiness which this is great for. Also the AD's often cause sleepiness. Modafinil does what it says it does. It keeps you awake/alert and combats AD induced fatigue/tiredness. I'd question if it makes you 'smarter'. For me (83kg, male, 27 YO) at 100mg it is a mild keep me awake. At 150 it's perfect. At 200mg it's stimulating, alerting and induces mild hypomania (Which is okay but I feel slightly too 'buzzed' at 200mg). No bothersome side effects experienced other than mild hypomania which is sometimes pleasant and not too alarming. NOTE - I am prone to anxiety but this did not increase anxiety levels for me. Do not take 8 hrs b4 planning on sleeping.”

Modalert User February 19, 2013

“I selected "depression" but this medicine has been beneficial for fatigue and hypersomnia as well. Started using this medicine in 2006! Yes, and I have tried almost everything else for depression, and I cannot say the side-effects or results from so-called approved depression medications were ever worth the horror they delivered. So, yes, I would recommend this for depression in the form of modafinil.”

The Pale King · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2017

“I am currently taking Venlafaxine 225, Risperidone .50 and Buspirone 7.5 for OCD, Depression, and Social Anxiety Disorder. After experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness, my doctor prescribed Modafinil 300. Not only has it CURED any notion of sleepiness during the day, but it has augmented my other medications 2-fold! I don't know what it would or would not do as a monotherepy, but it has helped tremendously and I am now asymptomatic. Additionally, it has increased my cognitive function - directly or indirectly - such that I scored 12 points higher than previous on a standardized IQ test. I am now a member of Mensa. These are anecdotal, subjective observations to be sure, but I am convinced of its efficacy for multiple issues.”

Connie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 25, 2018

“Within days of taking provigil with another antidepressant I was feeling so much better. I was starting a new job and really needed to be on top of things, not sad and teary eyed. It gave me focus, energy and a feeling of wellbeing, finally! Unfortunately my current insurance will not ok it for treatment of depression as that was not what it was originally used for. Very disappointing because it worked so well for so many years.”

Anonymous January 6, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): “Provigil has been a HUGE help for me. I take nortriptyline for my depression. It works better than anything else I've tried but it makes it impossible for me to get up in the morning. When my alarm goes off at 7am I feel like I'm being tortured. I take half a tablet of Provigil at bedtime (11pm). It doesn't keep me from falling asleep but it does help me wake up alert at 7am. Without it, I'll sleep until at least 11:30am. This may be an off-label use but it makes it possible for me to take my antidepressant AND get to school/work on time.”

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

“I take modafinil on and off for OCD & Depression and it works. I have high blood pressure that is treated with meds and this doesn't seem to bother it too much. It messes with my anxiety but not enough to stop using it. If you want to get a job done then this is for you.”

Improved March 25, 2016

“After suffering from severe depression and PTSD; and having been prescribed Luvox, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and combinations for over 20 years; I read about Modafinil being used off label. The only antidepressant that had helped previously was the Zoloft. After several years; it lost the effectiveness from when I first began taking it. In the meantime, I became permanently disabled due to MANY physical conditions along with my mental conditions. My doctor added Modafinil to my daily regiment of medications. I can think more clearly; and don't lose my train of thought, nor become distracted as often before taking Modafinil. It has been a blessing for me and I have not experienced any ill side effects.”

nannymae868 September 22, 2017

“I have suffered with depression for 4 years and have tried so many drugs that I have lost count. I finally found a combination of drugs that were working, but not completely. My NP then added Provigil and my depression resolved. I am able to get a lot done without feeling tired all of the time. However, I was on 200 mg and only had mild benefits. My NP increased the dose to 400 mg and it has helped tremendously. It has given me more hope that I have had in years.”