User Reviews for Modafinil

Also known as: Provigil

Learn more about Modafinil.

Modafinil Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Modafinil to treat Depression

"I have been on modafinil since three weeks. Was previously on fluoxetine since a year,self prescribed for apparent depression. I.stopped fluoxetine cold Turkey 3 weeks back and put myself on modafinil. I have carried well since. Tried stopping fluoxetine suddenly previously also without any replacement drug,but got severe mood disturbances,and wasn't successful. Modafinil is helping me for good ever since. But I started having serious side effects since last week.. severe muscle cramps, mainly in calves,backaches,pain in right scapular region,shortness of breath, mild headaches, increased sexual desire. I am happy on the drug, but leg cramps,pain in scapular region, shortness of breath are making it miserable. I may stop modafinil due to the side effects"

ephialtis (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I was extremely hopeful upon reading the raving reviews about Modafinil for depression , especially for initiative and motivation. I was practically expecting it would work so if anything, I was the perfect candidate for the placebo effect. But it was not to be. I took up to 200mg but found it to have no effects at all on my depression. It actually made me slightly anxious and agitated. Though, it does work very well with making you stay awake and alert. "

Arrowstar April 21, 2016

"After suffering from severe depression and PTSD; and having been prescribed Luvox, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Zoloft, and combinations for over 20 years; I read about Modafinil being used off label. The only antidepressant that had helped previously was the Zoloft. After several years; it lost the effectiveness from when I first began taking it. In the meantime, I became permanently disabled due to MANY physical conditions along with my mental conditions. My doctor added Modafinil to my daily regiment of medications. I can think more clearly; and don't lose my train of thought, nor become distracted as often before taking Modafinil. It has been a blessing for me and I have not experienced any ill side effects."

Improved March 25, 2016

"Took these for a few weeks leading up to an exam with no thought that they'd help with my depression. Having suffered from chronic depression since early adolescence which was not at all helped by the numerous anti-depressants I've tried over the years these pills were a blessing. It's the first time I'd felt like myself in years; I had energy, drive, my thinking became more positive and it was like this crushing weight was taken off from me and I could actually enjoy life again. Really hope this medication becomes licensed for use in treating depression in the UK, could potentially improve countless lives."

ModafiMedic (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I think I might be the only person in the world having no beneficial effect on this drug. I took 50 Mg Modalert and I never felt so bad in my life: I was paranoid, anxious, had several serious suicidal thoughs , headache and nausea. I kept feeling bad for the next 24 hours. I feel so disappointed and sad, I was hoping that moda could have helped me"

M855 January 27, 2016

"Taking care of 90 year old m in law has put my life in deep dark depression. I was not able to function, my thinking speech and soul were leaving me more each day. Changing her diapers,and watching her sit idle 12 hours a day was more than I could handle. This med has given me patience,focus & my smile back. I am able to take care of her with a better outlook, and take care of my kids & husband again. It's a blessing and it worked for me in 2 days. My fatigue is gone,my mood is brighter the gloom has gone away. I feel like I'm alive where as before I took it, I felt dead inside & had no hope just wanted to stay in bed. I am grateful to have a normal feeling,it's been a miracle for me.need to appeal ins co.as they don't want to pay."

Minnysmom December 3, 2015

"I have chronic depression and am a survivor of ovarian Ca. After chemotherapy I suffered from severe fatigue that never resolved. My family physician suggested Provigil. This medication literally gave me my life back. At present time my insurance company has discontinued paying for my Provigil. I stopped taking my old antidepressant to start a new one which didn't agree with me. I made a dr. Visit during the 2 days I was off any antidepressant, the dr. documented it and no more Provigil. Its under appeal at the present time but I don't think I am going to win. Beware of what you say!!"

I'm so low (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2015

"I can't believe it. It is just like everybody says it is! I never respond to medications this well. After 2 days I feel like a different person. Everything is better! I don't care if this drug took 20 years off my life, it is worth it!"

TraderAsh September 18, 2015

"I have been working for many years with one combination after another of medications for bi polar disorder. I was recently on oxcarbazapine and lithium which was great for a few months. Depression came back and I had unpleasant side effects with the oxcarbazapine. My doc added modafanil. It reduced the side effects and improved my depression. It also caused irritability. And caffeine made me restless even with a small amount."

upndwn June 27, 2015

"Since diagnosis I have been on almost every medication that has been introduced. For the last five years I have taken 300mg Bupropion, 300mg Gabapentin 3/day, 200mg Modafinil, and additionally, Xanax, as needed. The Bupropion alone was not helping somatic symptoms and the Gabapentin solved that. The added Modafinil caused no noticeable side effects. It did provide increased energy, a more positive mood, emotional stability, and a feeling of cheerfulness which was foreign to me. It does not prevent a good afternoon nap when needed and has never interfered with sleep at night. As I told my physician, "The bupropion keeps me from wanting to die and the modafinil makes me want to live," Any minor side effects would be worth the benefits"

Depression diagnosed in 1965 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

"It was a strong drug. It had the side effect of leaving me tired and very depleted the following day far more than small 5mg of ritalin did. The only caveat is I took valium at bedtime. This may have messed with the Provigil to the degree that it may have messed with my system. I think this entry is valuable. Benzodiazepines do not appear to be useful in combination with Provigil or Modafinil. Days when I did not take Benzodiazepines the following days were pretty normal. The important entry I want to contribute is to say that the days following a Provigil day were the ones that were the most productive. I was far more "on" after the drug wore off. I felt like a younger faster version of myself days even a week later. 100mg dose"

BillZimm (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

"I have suffered from major depression for over 20 years. The past 2 1/2 years have been devastating. I have now treatment resistant depression. I have been on all of the "modern" and some "old school" antidepressants including Lithium and MAOIs. I have had 2 rounds of ECT treatments in the past 2 years. They have knocked the suicidal ideation for a little while but this most recent round of 12 required "Maintenance" sessions. I have had 3 maintenance ECTs then my psych doc prescribed me Provigil. I started at 100 mg for 2 weeks then upped it to 200 mg. for the past 2 weeks. I have made it through the holiday season feeling the best I have in years. Now I am back to the way I was before my depression. Don't know why but it works."

downindumps (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2014

"After many hospital stays for trying all the different medications for bi-polar depression Modafinil has been part of my regimen with gabapentin and nortriptyline. Any regular medication for bi-polar disorder has side effects such as deja vu to diarrhea. My wife changed jobs but took the new one on the basis that it was the same insurance carrier and would continue coverage. Now because they say Modafinil is not a bi-polar medicine they refuse to pay for it. I will not be able to afford the $650 a month. Without it I wake with nightmares. It's very sad insurance says they know better than a group of doctors and 10 years of success using a prescription."

Progenitor (taken for 10 years or more) December 16, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder back in 2002 and I've tried every medication under the sun with no success. Then in 2006 my doctor tried me on Modafinil as add on to my other medications, I was really surprised at the effectiveness of modafinil. On my depressed cycle it made me get off the sofa and lessened my depression. During my mania cycle I would not have to take Modafinil. It is definitely a medication worth trying as an add to as add on."

casreid1962 (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2014

"I take a 1/4 of a pill Modafinil together with 1/4 paroxetine 5mg in the morning, never felt better. I have tried other options like Wellbutrin, RITALIN but with erratic results, you should try modafinil and you would be surprised."

omchanti (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2014

"I selected depression but at this point I believe depression is a side effect to a larger Neurological issue and apnea. I was diagnosed with Depression years ago and after being put on tonnes of different medicines some of which were a nightmare I was upgraded to Bi-Polar. Along the way I gained about 100lbs and eventually ended up on a cocktail that included Seroquel which made me very sleepy all the time. I was initially given Provigil as a way to be awake during the day. It was a very positive improvement. After a while I was adjusted to Seroquel, Lamictal and Provigil, and it seemed to keep me stable but still lethargic. Eventually we tried lessening the Seroquel and eventually eliminated it. I am doing better than ever now for several years."

D.M.N. (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2014

"My depression is responsible for a sleeping disorder that makes it very hard for me to stay awake and functional: I have some kind of hypersomnia instead of the regular insomnia complaints patients have. Even though there are people that respond nicely to modafinil, I didn't feel anything while associating 200mg of it to my SSRI. I couldn't notice any improvement to my sleeping cycle or to my concentration. Side effects were absent too. Unfortunately it was not for me."

Fernanda P (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

"Had this added to my anti-depressant cocktail and I have to admit, it's given me more energy and increased my mood quite a bit. I was really surprised at it's effectiveness for depression and depression related fatigue. The only drawback for me is that I often get headaches when it starts to wear off. But overall a good medicine!"

Suze1227 September 11, 2013

"I selected "depression" but this medicine has been beneficial for fatigue and hypersomnia as well. Started using this medicine in 2006! Yes, and I have tried almost everything else for depression, and I cannot say the side-effects or results from so-called approved depression medications were ever worth the horror they delivered. So, yes, I would recommend this for depression in the form of modafinil."

Modalert User February 19, 2013

"Provigil was added to my meds for depression. I love it! Modafinil has made more of a difference than anything I've ever been given. I can concentrate now and actually have more get up and go than I've had in years. I take 100 mg everyday. Tried 200 mg, but feel just fine with 100 mg."

hellogal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2012

"I read the experiences of people on Provigil before I tried it and as I was in the midst of a very deep depression and has tried so many other anti-depressants. I was suicidal and desperate for help. As most other people found, it is a miracle! I cannot believe that I feel this good. I am back to my old positive self. I am taking 200 mgm in the morning. The last medicine that worked was Adderall which worked initially but wore off after a year. I still had the rapid heart beat, but the depression continued. Thank you to everyone who posted their positive feedback as it gave me hope that the medicine might work. This is an off label use, but it sure works for me!"

sgc46 March 9, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Provigil (modafinil): "Most awesome medicine ever made. Non- addictive. Will be used more for MS, MD and Parkinson's is much needed."

Kibbles00 April 14, 2011

Provigil (modafinil): "I was initially prescribed this medication to address both a mild sleep apnea problem and persistent depression. Initially, it was indeed like a miracle drug. I felt better immediately and continued so for about a year. However, the drug then quickly became less effective and actually began to make my depression much worse. I very briefly switched to Nuvigil, but I continued with the worsening depression and ended up having to stop the medication. Within a few days of discontinuing the medication, I felt considerably better. I went on to other medications to help with the depression and fatigue. Provigil/Nuvigil has been a blessing for many people. However, as with many medications, their continued use can sometimes backfire."

Anonymous March 3, 2010

Provigil (modafinil): "Provigil has been a HUGE help for me. I take nortriptyline for my depression. It works better than anything else I've tried but it makes it impossible for me to get up in the morning. When my alarm goes off at 7am I feel like I'm being tortured. I take half a tablet of Provigil at bedtime (11pm). It doesn't keep me from falling asleep but it does help me wake up alert at 7am. Without it, I'll sleep until at least 11:30am. This may be an off-label use but it makes it possible for me to take my antidepressant AND get to school/work on time."

Anonymous January 6, 2010

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Provigil (modafinil): "I've used it for 10 days now in my most recent attempt to kick meth. It helps so much. It won't buzz you, but it takes away the debilitating lethargy and depression."

hippychick- August 7, 2009