User Reviews for Armodafinil to treat Narcolepsy

Also known as: Nuvigil

Armodafinil Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Armodafinil

Manic · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“This drug armodafinil made me manic, heart racing and super tired. Had so many emotions. Definitely not the drug for me.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “I have been on nuvigil 150mg for almost 4 months. I was previously on Adderall 20mg twice a day for several years and Ritalin before that. Nuvigil does absolutely nothing for me. I can't stay awake, cannot function, very depressed. I would much rather go back on Adderall.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2020

“I aa 21 years old And was diagnosed with narcolepsy about 2 months ago. I started on 150mg of armodafinil which was very effective for me for about a week and a half. And then the effects slowly decline and within a month I was back to sleeping 14-15 hrs a day and no energy. Some days I will do the exact same routine and take it the exact same way and it won’t work at all. And then the next day it works amazing. Doctor told me this medicine has a tendency of being super effective but your body will adjust to it very quickly and it will not longer work. So I am conflicted about how I feel about this medication.”

Punkeralitina December 6, 2019

“I am 59 years old I have narcolepsy if I do not take Nuvigil they will take my driver's license I've been on it for about a year I used to sleep all day and all night sometimes like 3 days straight but now on Nuvigil it was helping a little but now I'm like take it at 8 and by 11 I can't keep my eyes open so I don't know what to do kind of freaking out here I have anxiety and I'm very hyper so goodnight there's no way I can take Ritalin that will just throw me over the edge of being too hyper. I don't know what to do. I don't think anybody really cares but I just wanted to say something so that's my story and I'm sticking to it”

Polly December 1, 2019

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “My son has been taking this medication as he has fallen asleep behind the wheel and is tired all the time (narcolepsy). This medication is working for him he has so much more energy and isn’t tired when he has it. If he doesn’t take it he sleeps all afternoon”

PJ October 27, 2019

“Started on modafinil and now on armodafinil. Neither seems to be that effective for narcolepsy as I can take a 250mg tablet and go to sleep two hours later. It is better than not using it though. At least with this I have motivation to do some things where without it was hard to do anything. The doctor is reluctant to try me on anything else since I am 68 and he feels other meds might be too dangerous.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

“I just recently got diagnosed with narcolepsy. I have realized I had trouble staying awake throughout the day for a long time. I had gone to my doctor and done multiple sleep test and a multiple sleep latency test. I ended up being placed on armodafinil. I've only taken it for 2 days. The first day I took the full dosage and was up for 21 hours straight. Even at night when I went to go to sleep I couldn't. This is day 2 and I've been up for 22 hours straight. I can feel the tiredness but I'm unable to go to sleep and it's put me in a very scary uncomfortable state. Hopefully my doctor can help me figure something else out because this is insane.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

“Started this medication a few weeks ago on the 150 mg dose. It stopped working so my doctor upped the dose to 200 mg. Since day one, I have had the WORST nausea, migraines, the overall feeling of sickness, loss of appetite, and vomiting that are only getting worse everyday. the medication has not even worked that well for me and for me it is just not worth taking. I am stopping this medication immediately.”

Hunter · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

“After finally going to the doctor for feeling drained 24/7 I took the sleep latency test and found that I have narcolepsy. The doctor started me out in 150 mg Armodafinil and I really didn’t feel anything. They then told me to double up on the 150 mg every morning meaning 300mg (TOO much). This slightly helped so to be more cost efficient they put me on 250mg. Some days it feels ok some not. Although if I miss a day of it I feel so ill and grumpy it’s ridiculous. All in all it doesn’t work very well which saddens me because most people think it’s the best thing ever. I can literally take it and sleep the rest of the day if that tells you anything”

peque · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“This medication did not even touch me! I took Nuvigil instead, but nothing works. The best Narcolepsy medications are are Dexedrine and Methamphetamine.”

artemina · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “I was prescribed this for Narcolepsy when I was 16 (am 23 now). My doctor wanted to prescribe to me Modafinil, its sister drug, but for reasons unknown to me (idk maybe insurance or laws. I really don't remember). I had an adverse reaction that sent me to the hospital. Almost went into cardiac arrest and probably would've had I not gone to the emergency room when I did. Uncontrollable shaking and heart palpitations (heart rate 160+).”

TroutGirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

“I started Nuvigil on Tuesday and it is now Thursday. So I have three days experience using it. I'm 54 and I have suffered lifelong depression I have sleep disorder and I sleep may be 2 to 3 hours a night, with revolving thoughts that won't stop. I've tried over 65 medications and none of them have worked. But when I took Nuvigil within one hour my head silenced for the first time in my life. All those thoughts and worries that keep me constantly in a state of panic and anxiety went away and I can concentrate and think. But here's the bad side, I can't orgasm. Are any other people having sexual side effects? And if so does it go away?”

imdawoman · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

“First day on it so I know I could have complications but I can say it sure does feel great to not fall asleep at the wheel, at my desk, on the couch, all day long.....”

Sleepy December 8, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “Been telling Drs 20yrs about being excessively tired. Finally broke down bawling to my current Dr this year, she sent me for Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) and I failed test. Finally had my diagnosis. Dr put me on Ritalin LA 20mg, lost potency within 5 days, increased dose to 30mg, still didn't work, seen sleep specialist, he put me on nuvigil, took it couple days, did not help at all! In fact it made me feel like I was going through withdraw from suboxone I take and felt it made narcolepsy worse. I take suboxone because 10yrs ago I used pain pills to "give me energy", I got addicted to pain pills obviously. Been on suboxone 6yrs. I was hoping I finally have a diagnosis of narcolepsy I could get on right meds and get off suboxone. My Dr wanted to put me on ritalin 20mg LA for morning and ritalin 10mg for afternoon but insurance wouldn't cover it. Only 30mg as a whole. I honestly think the dose she wanted to put me on would have helped but the insurance knows best right? Makes me so mad!”

Billw · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2018

“Former ultra runner. 2 lumbar, 2 cervical, and a right temp lobe surg for epil for god measure. Narcolepsy from spinal insults. Started on the ADHD meds, moved to modafinal. Importantly, both Mod.& Arm. take an hour to kick in. I take 100mg of caffeine with it in the AM; 7:00. Arm. & Mod. also interfere with pain meds. I can "get it done", but need more caffeine at 4:00. I also crash right after dinner. I get a month for $40.”

OU_Comanche October 2, 2018

“Nuvigil worked fine for me for the first 6 months or so but then not only did it stop working, but now actually makes me more tired when I take it. My narcolepsy has been debilitating. Due to the ineffectiveness of nuvigil my doctor added a stimulant to my treatment. When I take the stimulant I feel great. The weird thing is now when I take the nuvigil I feel like it completely counters the stimulant and I get really tired again. So tired that it's not safe for me to drive. I know nuvigil is a godsend to others with narcolepsy & that's great. I'm envious of you because I hate being in stimulants.”

Bambinah · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “This medication takes time to get into and out of my system. The transitions are terrible for me. Lots of anxiety and scatterbrains. I am very emotional on this medication. When I am tired of the lump in my throat I quit taking it. When I can't stay awake and my job is at risk I try again. The end results are always the same. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, and can't quit crying. The first time I took it 2 months. The second time I took it 5 months. And now I have been on it 5 days and am calling it quits. It does not keep me awake. I get huge headaches. There is no reason to live for me while using this medication.”

Edward · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2018

“As a shift worker doing the graveyard hours I needed something to stay sharp in the wee hours. This did the trick. But when my Dr first put me on it had trouble getting to bed at a reasonable time and stayed awake building things. I completed a new deck, slabbed out a patio on the back yard, and returned to school to study a new profession.”

Welly · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2018

“I am still sleepy, 1 take 250 mg in mornings and an hour later I can sleep. Before I could stay awake until I reached the bed, now I fall asleep doing normal things.”

Amanda9870 · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2018

“This medicine is ok. I like Provigil. I was first on Provigil for 19 years. Doctor took me off with out reason. The detox is awful. It is just not as strong as Nuvigil. Nuvigil is strong. And Provigil kept me up longer. Wondering why..???”

Lynne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2018

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “I have been on nuvigil for almost a year now, this has been the only stimulant to work for me. I have narcolepsy and ADHD. So adderall and it’s relative medicines actually make more more of a zombie, albeit a very focused zombie. Nuvigil does not cause my heart to race ( I also have mitral valve prolapse ) it does not negatively effect my anxiety. This medicine has been a life saver for me! It does effect my ability to feel hunger. I don’t get hungry until around 2 pm but honestly, this is a good thing bc when I eat I become very tired. This is due to the nature of Narcolepsy. We are low on orexin, so when we eat what little orexin we have gets ‘turned off’. Orexin is the chemical in the brain that helps regulate wake and sleep. Orexin on means awake, orexin off means asleep. Orexin is directly effected by food intake.”

Kimberlyyy February 22, 2018

“I was diagnosed with narcolepsy over the summer and the insurance company would only cover armodafinil. My doctor wanted me to try that for three months and see how it went. There were days that I felt great and like myself again, but there were too many days that I was exhausted. A lot of days I was struggling to get out of bed or calling asleep in the middle of the day. When I went back to the doctor and told him, he said many of his patients have the same problem with the generic. So he started me on Nuvigil which took the insurance company a few days, but I got it. I've been on the Nuvigil for four months now and the difference is amazing! There are few days I feel like I did before my diagnosis now, and those days are usually when I have a cold or when it's that time of the month.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2017

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “I am 38 and I have been taking this medicine two weeks and I am having serious problem breathing and getting a deep breath in, my inhaler does not help. I have diarrhea and my face has broken out worse than it ever did when I was a teenager. I have also had random pounding, sharp, shooting headaches come out of no where.”

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

Nuvigil (armodafinil): “Diag early onset Parkinson's at 46yo. I was having off and on again sleep attacks in the afternoons. No amount of coffee can power you through one. This keeps me through the afternoon.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2017

“So I've been researching the generic nuvigil ever since my insurance company decided that even though my Dr said I needed to remain on brand name that they wouldn't pay for it anymore (at first they paid half making my out of pocket $500 but after one fill they said they'd pay nothing). I wanted to keep an open mind and tried to forget everything I read. But it really isn't anywhere near as effective. I had been in 250 mg of nuvigil for almost 5 years and was able to live a normal life for someone in their mid 20's to early 30's but since switching I feel a shell of my normal self. I'm physically exhausted, can't get out of bed in the morning regardless of how much sleep I've had the night before, and feel like I'm in a fog all day long.”

Learn more about Narcolepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)