User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Qbrelis, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"Yes, this will lower your BP. It also makes me very tired, dizzy when bending over and extremely exhausted when exerting energy. How am I supposed to improve my diastolic condition if I can even run for a mile without wanting to pass out.....I hate this drug! How can someone function with a heart rate of 90/ 65? Seriously!"

Jeff hates lisinopril! February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medicine worked so well on my friend, but for me I start coughing like crazy for a whole week before I did find it was Lisinopril that makes me cough. I changed the medicine to Amlodipine and it was a nightmare. I just come back from the doctors office he changed me to Cozaar. I hope this medicine will work for me."

Ahmed Benali February 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Because this works for some I will not say it is a bad medication. It did bring down my blood pressure, however, for the week I took it I could not sleep more than an hour or two at a time. I have both a pulse ox meter as well as a BP meter and started keeping close watch and found that while on Lisinopril my resting pulse went very low. It was 44 at one point and rarely went above 70. My Dr was not concerned because he said that it did not stay in the low range, however, in my conclusion I believe that I was not sleeping because my pulse went too low and I was forced to wake up in order to get my resting pulse to raise enough to keep me alive. After stopping the medication my resting pulse went back up to its normal rate of around 60-75."

misspj2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Do not take this drug. It causes excess mucus and coughing to the point of vomiting. It also causes terrible stomach pain. I took this for over a year and kept blaming my increased sinus mucus on allergies, milk products etc. The day I stopped the drug my symptoms stopped as well. Really doctors should never prescribe such a drug! It can also damage your liver and pancreas. Best to deal with your high blood pressure naturally than suffer the considerable side effects of the drugs that doctors prescribe. They get kick backs and lobster dinners from the drug reps to push their medication. Never take any medication without first trying to alter your life style and diet.. See a holistic doctor first"

Don't listen to doctors (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Had experienced increasing blood pressure, which my physician and I thought was related to my anxiety disorder. After adding lisinopril 20 mg, nonheadaches, reductions in anxiety, and decreased flushing. My quality of life is so much better. If your readings are over 140/90 ask your physician about this lifesaver medication. It also has kidney protective properties."

Thaddeus Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I started taking the lisinoprol a few weeks ago and I woke up with a migraine and throwing up. So I quit taking it. Wanted to try it again and the same thing.. Migraine and throwing u.. I think the high bp is better than that.. I've tried it four times and the same thing keeps happening."

Rhondakaren January 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"getting hard and staying hard is tough"

hard on less (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Blackout! Urgent care said high potassium levels (hyperkalemia). Type1 diabetic, I don't eat bananas or take supplements. Treated cuts from fall and discontinued pills."

Poothamby (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I had been watching my Bp for a while and knew it was a bit on the marginal side of high. When I finally decided to go see my Dr about it, was when it was 212/110. Couldn't get it below 186/94 no matter what I did. So, he put me on 20mg with 25mg hctz. Within the week (yesterday was one week) of being on it, my Bp at highest point is 151/86 and generally runs in the 130s over 67 to 76 at the highest. The only problem I'm having is I'm tired!"

PennySioux (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"After reading most of the other reviews I wonder if I am on proper med. I have been taking since 12/24/16. Within 2 days my b/p was very close to normal. I do have slight headache, mild confusion and some dizziness. However, headaches were worse before taking this drug and also suffered from other side effects prior to taking it. I feel the benefits outweigh the adverse effects. Thank you."

Mannymae January 2, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I don't even want to give this drug one star! I started taking this medication back in June of 2016 for only about 3 weeks and I am still having side effects to this day! My whole life changed over night. I started having heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, I lost close to 30 lbs, hair lose, swollen nose, lip, and eye, pains/pressure in the top and back of head, shortness of breathe, blurred vision, weakness, nausea, pains in my stomach, night sweats, and leg cramps, entire body felt shaky ( and I'm pretty sure I'm missing some things). Numerous trips to the ER and 8 different doctors to basically be told they don't know whats wrong with me. Take my advice and do not take this."

BLaLo (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medicine gave me 12 side effects and I didn't know it was my medicine , until I read the side effects. Now I know what all the stomach discomfort or other sickness I was having."

S ypsi (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I always have high BP when I go to the doctor. I guess it's called white coat syndrome. Anyway my doctor had me checking my BP and keeping track of it. It was always okay. One time I had forgot to bring in the record and boom she puts me on Lisinopril 10 mg. I think the doctors get a kick back or something. She never talks of me getting off of it either. After awhile I started having bad leg cramps. She just said I was dehydrated and to drink more water. I swear she doesn't care one way or another about my health."

sunface December 13, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"hair loss massive hair loss"

ms senkir December 10, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was on Lisinopril for a month. My blood pressure was under control for the first time in a long time. One morning I woke up with some swelling to my face. As the morning progressed, the symptoms got worse. It was very painful for me to swallow. I ended up going to the ER only to find I had an allergic reaction to the medicine which is common in African Americans. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days. After having some blood drawn, my liver enzyme levels were highly elevated. After being off the medication, my liver enzyme levels are going down. Now my pcp check my labs every two weeks to keep an eye on my liver enzyme levels."

MissMonica80 November 26, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"My doctor prescribed me 5 mg AMLODIPINE FOR HBP , my bloodpressure got even higher !!! Now i'm using Lisinopril 2.5 mg and my BP dropped from 16/11 to 11/7 !!! after stopping with the amlodipine. Now after 8 months of testing i feel alive and kicking again. Hope to get rid off the lisinopril as well by changing my lifestyle - decimate grains , yoghurt and sugar and eat more fish - salmon and other fat fish - , avocado , kaki fruit - eggs ..... Hope to live a normal life again after my 50TH birthday."

Donald Trump November 18, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Anyone ever took Lotrel for hypertension? A cardio doc prescribed Lisinopril on TOP of my already-taking Lotrel, but the pharm doc said I could NOT take both medicines without my BP crashing. Confused, I called the prescribing cardiologist who said go ahead and get the "benefit" of both drugs. I did, and wound up in an ER semi-conscious; BP systolic (top number) was 52, I forget diastolic probably because I want to! Big worry was that my kidneys had "taken a hit." Later, Lisinopril by itself wasn't as effective as Lotrel. Two lessons, (1) some doctors are incompetent, and on drug matters the pharmacist is the final authority."

Eurastus November 13, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I suffer from alcoholism binges and take atenolol, clonidine, and amloapine, as well as OTC vitamins on a daily basis. When my doctor's intern added a prescription for Lisinopril (10 mg x1 a day) it was the first time in 25 years of drinking that I had a case of Delirium Tremens (very nasty and horrifying experience). I have had alcohol withdrawal symptoms may times before and had to go to the ER a few times for a few hours while they detoxed me. But this was like nothing I have ever experienced. I couldn't stand up without falling over, and had to get around on my hands and knees. I would normally take a cab to the ER, but I wouldn't even make it to the cab. Had to call 911 for paramedics to the tune of $1250.00. No more Lisinopril for me."

Hanky_spanky (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"My husband has been now been taking Lisinopril right at 1 month, add a few days to that. The last week I noticed him complaining and dealing with some pretty rough heartburn, which just in the last 3 days has increased dramatically. He isn't one to complain about anything medical related but this has. He also has had more episodes of feeling bloated without any visible distention I could see or noticed. It's a heavy feeling that just sits there (upper middle abdomen) Well tonight or rather about 4 hours ago he had the same discomfort in upper abdomen with tenderness, bloated feeling, increase in burping, diarrhea, nausea that later progressed to vomiting. He threw up bile/green color. Can't lay down."

MHoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Recently diagnosed stage 1(142/92) and was put on 10mg of lisinopril. After reading the many horror stories, I was hesitant to start taking it and was going to consult the doctor about alternatives before trying. In lieu of talking with the doctor about alternatives, I decided to take a few days off and start the 10mg dosage to see how it would make me feel. Day 1 and 2, I was a little foggy and had some fatigue but the BP results were seen within 1 hour of starting (120/70) and have been taking now for two weeks with no more side effects. Beyond now taking the drug and a few lifestyle changes, I am very happy with the results. Working towards getting off this stuff within 6 months with weight loss and life changes. 51/male."

Kev 1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Headache. Pressure in forehead.Itching. I only take the the med at bedtime, which is obvious because of other side effects as dizziness, and because I don't drive at night."

Lolar October 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I see people stating their bad experience with this drug, but more people should share their positive experience. I was originally prescribed Amlodipine. Number 1 - it didn't work. Number 2 - side effects were horrible - chest pain, tinnitus, you name it - made me feel horrible. After 2 months I asked the doctor to be switched to Lisinopril HCTZ 10, 12.5. After only the first pill, my blood pressure was totally normal, for the most part sticks right around 120/80. And I feel so so much better. I've been taking this for over 2 months now - love my blood pressure readings and definitely no side effects. It is so nice to feel normal again. As my blood pressure tended to spike early AM I take this at 9 pm every night - works best for me."

xizziz (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I take this 20mg of this ROTTEN drug at lunch & might as well write off the rest of the day as I am a zombie. I take Diltiazem with B/D & it NEVER leaves me in a stupor as Lisinopril does. I am not a diabetic nor am I suffering from congestive heart failure which Lisinopril is commonly used for. I DESPISE this drug but for some reason my doctor feels I need it."

Black_Raven October 22, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"About 2 years ago I found myself in a very bad Legal situation. I remember driving and not feeling well, my face felt swollen, I felt hot and very confused, this had happened several times in a couple years, but played it off as I have idiopathic Angioedema. I was just a half mile from home and was pulled over for speeding, just to mention I had had a few beers earlier. Well anyway I whited out and assaulted the Officer, I do not remember this happening what so ever. that week I went to the Dr and told him what was happening, he said that with some people lisinopril does have these effects on people therefore he changed my medication. looking through the web I also found that if you are allergic to Sulfa meds Lisinopril should not be taken."

Ric177 October 18, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"4 tablets only taken then I ended up in A&E with awful side effects including palpitations, much higher bp than before I took them, headaches, rash, feeling really ill. A&E doctor recommended stopping immediately - I had the day before! 5 days after last pill and I'm still shaky, suffering tiredness, aware of heart beats and high bp - not at all happy with bp meds - I previously was prescribed Andipole or something similar ? Only one of those and I suffered stomach cramps, palpitations, bloated belly, plus cough etc - these meds can be very dangerous and I'm refusing to try anymore but am taking even more exercise, eating healthy & hoping to reduce bp the natural way although hospital doctor didn't really think I needed themanyway!!"

Glory Bee September 21, 2016