User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Qbrelis, Zestril

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 340 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I've been on Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiazide for about 6 weeks. My BP was high (200/100) after an especially stressful day so I went to the Dr. to see about getting medication. I started on a dose of 12.5/20mg but had side effects, including dizziness and extreme exhaustion in the afternoon. Then my BP started getting a little too low. So my Dr. suggested I cut the dose in half. So far that seems to be working. I'm less dizzy and my BP is usually in the "ideal" range after I take it. However, I do have digestive problems that I never experienced before, so I think it's related to the pills. I'm hoping to lose weight so I can come off this pill but for now will keep taking the half pill. The key thing is to check your BP at certain times to make sure you have the proper dose. Some Drs are pill pushers who create more problems for their patients than necessary. However, it IS important to keep your BP in check, so take medication if needed and monitor it closely. (52 year old female)"

socal2018 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

"I'd been taking lisinopril 10 mg with 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide once per day for many years and it worked very well. Then Lupin changed the formulation and removed the 'inactive' ingredients (much smaller pill) around July 2017. Noticed hair falling out, blood pressure spikes, more fatique feeling. Changed to Watson pills, hair no longer falling out but blood pressure running to high, headaches. Not sure what's the best move now, stronger dose or different type of BP medication."

Paxplant (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2018

"I took lisinopril for years then all of a sudden one day I had heart palpitations for a week all day long along with a rapid heart rate, once I was taking off the drug they eventually stopped. But now I still get them every now and again. Has this happened to anyone else thats takin this medication?"

Tiffany502 February 5, 2018

"Given low dose lisinopril for moderately high BP, dropped it about 10 points. After 3 months the side effects came....pain literally everywhere, bloodshot dry eyes, tachycardias, skin flushing, vision loss, corneal ulcer, stomach pains, sore joints, skin redness. Ended up in the ER. Eye doctor didn't know what it was, internal medicine doctor tested me for all sorts of things, couldn't figure it out. I finally stopped the "medicine" and all of my symptoms went away, except for blood pressure which is even higher. I can't take any ACE inhibitor now. Bad drug don't risk your life on this toxic product."

Rich23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

"Lisinopril barely kept my blood pressure in the good range for both diastolic and systolic with my numbers being higher almost 40% of the time with twice-daily monitoring. Additionally, the medication caused a nasty cough that disappeared after I switched medications."

Le Ocelot (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 27, 2018

"First time taking this medicine, had an allergic reaction, only took one , and apparently one is all it took. Right side of lip started to swell , took it at 10pm the previous night, next day , swelling continued to increase. Checked blood pressure often, numbers were lower than what I’ve ever seen. A normal range for me was around 150/99-110, 115/80 afterwards. Although numbers were good, I will not take ever again. Going to try Norvasc"

Noel13615 January 26, 2018

"My BP was 170/110 consistently for weeks and I took my readings to the Doctor who prescribed 10mg of Lisinopril a day. I have now been on the drug for 10 days and my BP is 118/73. Incredible reduction... Touch wood, I have no side effects and Lisinopril seems to be very effective. I would certainly recommend this drug."

Shorefish (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2018

"Prescribed 20mg once a day for high BP. After 3 days sore muscles and stomach pain. Day 4 was in unbearable stomach pain and distention. Labor pains with gas pain and stabbing. Started to google side effects and I was in an allergic reaction. Stopped the meds and am 30 hours out of no doses and massively better. Still stomach tenderness and distention. Will make better lifestyle changes rather than take this med."

Not yet 40 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

"I was prescribed Lisinopril 20mg due to having high BP. It's been almost 2 months since I started, before taking it my BP was around 140-160 / 100-122. It is currently 110-127 / 94-99. I'm still unsure why my Diastolic is high. I made arrangements to see a Cardiologist, but I've been waiting nearly two months for my appointment. I don't really know if the Lisinopril is working, or if it's due to the lifestyle changes I made in conjunction. I've been on it for over a month now and what I do notice is since a week or two ago, to this day, I get very, very itchy at night. It feels like little ants biting me. I thought it would've gone away by now, but it seems to get worse. I'm going to speak to my Doc asap."

Arnold Nieman (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

"I have a severe cough and itchy throat that sometime result in vomiting will consult with my doctor next week I am almost sure it comes from this med"

bobbyannbrown January 14, 2018

"I was prescribed Lisnopril following a BP reading of 140/90 during a bout with pneumonia. All my life I have been healthy, am in 2 seperate careers where much outdoor activity is the norm rather than the exception. Within minutes of taking the prescribed dosage; I broke out in a severe sweat; developed dizziness, light headedness, dryness in the mouth and then a severe case of hives developed."

Ponderosa727 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

"I take 5mg per day blood pressure that runs about 115 over 60 and I experience fatigue and cough a lot I also have COPD that may be causing the cough and I have been on Lisinopril 5mg for a long time (years)"

5660 (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2017

"Have been taking Metopropolol 2 / day. BP rose up to avg. 145 / 87. Started 1 Lisinopril in am while still taking Metopropolol and BP is down to 125 / 72 immediately. No harsh side effects."

zha December 17, 2017

"I have had pre hypertension for years but then went higher so doc recommended this. No side effects that I notice but because my bp varies so much -it can hit 140's sometimes and then drop to 110 at nite. It really can drop big time with a glass of vino. I definitely have white coat syndrome-160 at docs then down to 130's or lower after I leave- at nite sometimes 105 or lower below 100! I have been taking it off and on and debated with my doc about it -he says take it...I have no idea what to do ! but it does protect all the organs..(20 mg lisinopril)"

ralph kramden (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

"Norvasc had been working nicely, all of a sudden microalbumin levels went high. Went on lisinopril and both upper and lower numbers went to 180/105. Not impressed. Doesn't work, wouldn't recommend. Doctor is moving to yet another BP med."

panam December 15, 2017

"I have been on this stuff for 40mg/day 4 months now and I haven't noticed any significant decrease in BP. I have to say I'm ready to get off of it. I've already gained 90 lbs, my sex drive is non-existent, I break out in hives from head-to-toe several times a week, I have constant diarrhea interspersed with prolonged bouts of constipation. I've noticed in the mirror that my one eye seems to be bigger than the other. My hair has been falling out in clumps, I have constant back and abdominal pain. I used to be 6'2" tall but now suddenly I've shrunk to 6'0". I've developed female breasts and facial acne as if I'm still 13 years old. I'm going to my doctor next week to have him put me on something else..."

Woody Woodman December 6, 2017

"I have been taking Lisinopril for 3 years with no change in my BP. In fact, it has slowly risen over 3 years. I bring this up with my doctor but she says that is due to white coat effect. My BP now reads between 170/90 - 200/110 at the doctor's office, at work and at home. I've been going to the gym now for 3 years, including using the stair master 3-4 times per week. Should I fire my doctor? Ask for another treatment? Is this normal?"

Ikonrahu December 3, 2017

"I have been taking this horrible drug for about 9 months. I slowly began to feel more fatigued until I had extreme fatigue where I could not function at work and was sleeping up to 18 hours per day. I was constantly lightheaded and it got to where I did not want to stand at all. I was also nauseated, had extreme brain fog, and became abnormally moody because if this. I had no time left at work and will probably have to take a warning because of the time I did have off. I figured it out without help from my doctor. They would not believe me so I took myself off and I am trying lifestyle changes, fish oil, and baby aspirin. I feel much better after only 3 days off this medication. I would never take this again."

Coconut6373 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

"Have been taking Lisinopril with Hydrochlorothiazide for about a year. Have been experiencing dry cough and dizziness. Also, it has not controlled blood pressure. Recently, have been coughing harder and longer. At my last visit, my doctor changed my medicine stating that it can cause angioedema. My siblings have had the same experience. Bad Drug. Do research before taking any medication."

Medchecker3 November 23, 2017

"Tried to control bp of 140/100 with cardio. It's not working anymore. So I finally got on liso 5mg. It's only day 3. So side effects could come on. Medicine worked almost immediately. Dropped to 120-130/75-90. I haven't felt this great in a long time. Barring no future side effects.....this is awesome."

Jason 37 yr (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

"I’ve been taking this drug for about a week (half a pill once a day). I experienced dizzy feeling then last night after a nap, I went to restroom and to my dismay when I checked my face in the mirror the left bottom part of my lip was very swollen. Scared me so much that when I checked my blood pressure it was 186/114. I calmed down, took a hot shower and checked my pressure and it was back to normal. Today my lip is almost back to normal. I’ll never take this again. Like other reviews I’ve read I will continue to eat right and exercise. I’m not over weight at all and I will overcome the condition. Maybe the drug helped to bring the pressure under control but now I’ll keep it there."

2718 November 19, 2017

"Been taking lisiniprol for 7 years with great results. The side effects have been minor with nauseous. And dry cough. Until now I have been coughing every day with a spell of that nauseating. Feeling everyday that is is time to change drug after reading everyone is having similar side effects."

Tanaca2 November 18, 2017

"Blood pressure was constantly 170-190 over 90-125. My Dr. prescribed lisinopril and immediately my b.p. has returned to normal of 120-130 over 70-80. Only side effects is sometimes a light dizziness if I stand up to fast."

Jeffnktown (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"6 months at 2.5 mg a day. A little dizzy at first now take before bedtime. Pressure was 160-110 now around 130-80. Random dry cough lasts about 10 minutes and goes away quicker if I don't cough real hard. Also very detailed vivid dreams but not bad or nightmares. 52 years old exercise 3 times a week and 20 lbs overweight for 6 Ft. Don't like pills but feel much better. No more pounding heart at rest, but need a 1/2 hour nap after 8 HR work. Nap could be age related though! I'll stick with this for awhile."

Cl1711384-g November 13, 2017

"Been taking it for about 6 month and the refill I got for this month has made me feel horrible, I have been light headed to the point of almost passing out, really short of breath and tired all day. I don’t know if they changed something in them now or what but I am done taking this stuff, I feel like I am poisoning my body. I’ll just eat better now and exercise more"

Horrible pill (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017