User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Qbrelis, Zestril

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 337 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I’ve been taking this drug for about a week (half a pill once a day). I experienced dizzy feeling then last night after a nap, I went to restroom and to my dismay when I checked my face in the mirror the left bottom part of my lip was very swollen. Scared me so much that when I checked my blood pressure it was 186/114. I calmed down, took a hot shower and checked my pressure and it was back to normal. Today my lip is almost back to normal. I’ll never take this again. Like other reviews I’ve read I will continue to eat right and exercise. I’m not over weight at all and I will overcome the condition. Maybe the drug helped to bring the pressure under control but now I’ll keep it there."

2718 November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking lisiniprol for 7 years with great results. The side effects have been minor with nauseous. And dry cough. Until now I have been coughing every day with a spell of that nauseating. Feeling everyday that is is time to change drug after reading everyone is having similar side effects."

Tanaca2 November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"6 months at 2.5 mg a day. A little dizzy at first now take before bedtime. Pressure was 160-110 now around 130-80. Random dry cough lasts about 10 minutes and goes away quicker if I don't cough real hard. Also very detailed vivid dreams but not bad or nightmares. 52 years old exercise 3 times a week and 20 lbs overweight for 6 Ft. Don't like pills but feel much better. No more pounding heart at rest, but need a 1/2 hour nap after 8 HR work. Nap could be age related though! I'll stick with this for awhile."

Cl1711384-g November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking it for about 6 month and the refill I got for this month has made me feel horrible, I have been light headed to the point of almost passing out, really short of breath and tired all day. I don’t know if they changed something in them now or what but I am done taking this stuff, I feel like I am poisoning my body. I’ll just eat better now and exercise more"

Horrible pill (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor put me on lisinopril 10mg and the first few weeks was alright. Then I started coughing and eyes running water and nose running. Got to the point I would cough until I was about to vomit. I stop taking them it as it was making me sicker."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lisiniprol has been pretty effective for me. I do go to the health spa 5-6 days /week for 45-50 minutes plus 10 minute swim / Jacuzzi. My blood pressure has normalized to around 125/75-80. I recently asked the Dr. if I really needed to stay on the medication. She indicated that if I started feeling dizzy/lightheaded, it means that the medicine is not needed. I did have periods where I felt lethargic and tired, but could not figure out why. I also noticed that I experienced some brief 10-15 second balance and coordination issues. Did not encounter some of the other reported side-effects."

Tom V. October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Appears to be working fine. 10 mg. taken daily along with Metoprolol Tartrate 25 mg. twice daily has reduced my blood pressure from 150 over 80 before my heart attack and bypass surgery to 116 over 64 after the surgery and after beginning the medications. I was 54 at time of heart attack, 55 at time of quintuple bypass surgery. Currently age 57. Side effects: Lisinopril alone caused slight scratchy throat and mild cough at first, but those effects went away after about a year. No fatigue with Lisinopril alone, however now after a 10-hour shift at work, I am severely fatigued, but that didn't start until I started taking the Metoprolol Tartrate. I now fall into bed immediately after returning home from work, but attribute to the Metoprolol."

Giles Habibula (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has made me feel like I am dying. I emailed Doc and they just told me to make another appointment. Very ill.. Many symptoms,, feel nauseated, very weak. muscles ache. head aches. Can breathe good and have a ithcy cough. Just plain sick I dropped my glutens reduced my sodium and cholesterol drastically. Ready to end these drug. been 1 week today."

Vurrich (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor had me on a 20mg dose once a day. It made me real dizzy. Some mornings when I would sit up in bed I would fall over from almost passing out. I later found out that lisinopril a synthetic medication related to a natural snake venom."

dobb October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug nearly killed me. The only pill I took resulted in angioedema. I was admitted to ICU only after I was stabilized with difficulty in the ER. My throat had swollen shut. Since then, anecdotally, I have heard every black person I know that has taken this drug has developed and allergic reaction at some point in the cycle."

Major Rassendyll October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am only 57 and I'm taking 40mg of lisinprol. I'm really dizzy."

pamcorey (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They changed the pill. I've been taking the original version for many years with no problem. Finished my original ones and started on the newer version pills. On Sat, Sept 23rd, rushed to hospital with 201/103 blood pressure. Something is wrong with this new pill. I hope that no one dies, or has a heart attack or stroke. I am calling the FDA today."

Aprilbday12 (taken for 10 years or more) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking lisinopril a week ago on Saturday, that same day I started getting lower back pain, I didn't attribute the pain to the drug till a week later. The pain in my lower back was so extreme I could hardly walk or sleep, so I went to prompt care on Wednesday thinking it might be a UTI, Test was negative, doctor ordered PT. Next day I ended up in ER, bp was extremely high, rapid heart rate, felt like I was gonna pass out, all tests were negative, doctor said it was the new med and dehydration. I called my primary, I told her about the symptoms I was having, she said back pain wasn't a side effect of this drug, and the other symptoms were my body getting used to the drug."

Hugbear (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since starting, itching of legs between knees and ankle is driving me crazy! Great. Once again I am among the "rare" people, as always."

notagainoncemore September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Lisinopril, along with other drugs, for high bp, for many years, doing well, suddenly developed cough in April 2017. Cough first treated as allergy, then with antibiotics, no change, then referred to lung specialist. In the meantime, alerted to side effects of Lisinopril, I requested my GP change medication. Within a week after giving up Lisinopril, coughing greatly reduced, then within a month, almost completely stopped. My dr. knew of side effects, why did "I" have to suggest a change? Absolutely considering further change....of GP."

kshorty September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On lisinopril 5mg for years/ high BP due to high stress. Last fall due to work changes BP was up a little so Dr. increased to 10mg. In past 3-4 months occasional dry night cough, restlessness/poor sleep, night/day sweats (not menopause); and in past 4 weeks extreme fatigue, blurred vision, and most irritating either bloatedness or weight gain. Noted that the lisinopril changed 3 months ago from a small white pill to oval pinkish pill. Am physically active (brisk walk with Border Collie, & dance 2-3-4 times a week). Then thought maybe I need to reduce from 10mg back to 5mg until I began checking symptoms. Seeing Dr to discuss dc'g this - replacing with baby aspirin especially reading concerns posted here."

TulsaT (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PLEASE, mention what the pharmaceutical company your lisinopril is from! Sometime over the last few months(?), Lupin Pharmaceutical has changed tablet sizes (I think in all dosages). My brother is on this medication, has been for 8 years. He hadn't really noticed the pill size change because he recently changed pharmacies also. Within the last couple of months, he has had some symptoms that he wasn't sure why he was having. Primarily, dizziness and lightheadedness, which has also stirred up his anxiety, and fluctuations in BP and heart rate (both going VERY low). He decreased dose, then stopped taking. Then BP spiked. Took lower dose again, and dizziness is back, anxiety is back. Viscous cycle with little answers at this point."

Laura/Tony (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My M.D. & Cardiologist put me on Lisinopril 20MG for a year now. Got a slight reduction in BP but experienced extreme tiredness, hair loss, trouble sleeping, lower left stomach pain & later coughing producing phlegm. I didn't realize it was this drug as I was on others but after researching it, I stopped & now just take a baby aspirin. I quit as many drugs as possible & now researched supplements which seem to be getting results way beyond the Big Pharma drugs. I am really mad at Big Pharma & the way they programs our doctors!"

High bp August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Pressure was about 220 over 130 when the doctor's office sent me to the ER. I had had Lisonipril before and had lost a lot of weight so it was under control without medication. I Gained the weight back and with it the blood pressure problem.I can say for certain most of the complaints on this drug are "dose related". If your light headed and feel like you're tired you need a lesser dose. HIgh Blood pressure, versus low blood pressure, will make you feel bad or feel like garbage. Feeling great with hIgh BP is not good, is merely you got used to a different pressure. Others complaining are attributing side effects to other diseases like infections or other things. My pressure is reduced to 150/82 effectively."

Effective BP medicine (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"2 weeks into lisinopril. ED had just started, dizzy, BP only a bit lower."

male 56 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had high BP (150-100). I was put on Lisinopril 10mg and the effect was not enough to lower my BP to normal levels. My doctor increased the dose to 20mg but after 1 week I had to stop because of the horrible hair loss I experienced. After 4 months without taking this medicine I have not recovered my lost hair. I would not recommend it."

tafte (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this drug recently by my Dr. for treating my High Blood Pressure. In Reducing BP it was wonderful and I went from a BP of 143/105 to 95/71 using one of the lowest doses of this drug (5mg). However, I felt dizzy and faint and feeling like I was going to pass out and was afraid to take a second dose. I was sweating so much, even in my sleep. And that night I woke up sweating and with dry mouth and a strange cough was beginning to appear in my lungs. I knew all this dehydation could not be good for my recently diagnoses CKD and so I stopped using it immediately. Within a few days I felt back to my normal self. Still I don't know the extent of internal damage caused by using it just once. I have decided to reduce my BP through"

TheEnlightenedOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medicine one time and ended up at ER blood pressure spiked too 188\130.I had pounding headache my heart was racing and I was so dizzy I couldn't walk got to ER was rushed straight to back then I started vomiting from the pain I was having from my headache... The doctor told me to stop this medicine immediately I wouldn't recommend anyone to take this medicine."

A jordan (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am extremely sensative to prescriptions/medications. I do not take anything on a daily basis, but do take Advil, Musinex, and Aspirin as needed. After only a few days of taking 10mg I am so weak/tired I cannot function or drive. I am always "tired" but this is different. The first things that I noticed were SEVERE lower right back pain, tingling/numbness in my hands and feet, nausea, and ringing in my ears. Now I have swelling, a bad taste on the back of my tongue, slight shortness of breath, but if I am active it is bad and my heart pounds, burning pain similar to heart burn, and extreme weakness. I am not on others meds and did not have these symptoms until after I took this. I have only taken 3 pills in total."

Sickchick71 July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 10-20mg daily for high blood pressure. I do believe it did what it was supposed to do, and much more. While taking it, I developed a very annoying throat tickle which was accompanied by excessive mucus production in my throat. This would happen during the day and also went on all night to the point I would wake up literally gagging until I got it all hacked up. It got progressively worse the longer I took it and my wife was at her wits end with my excessive snoring. Also, I found that I was much less alert while on the drug to the point I rear ended at car on my commute to work one morning. I would highly advise anyone to take this medication with extreme caution. I have since stopped taking and all side effects are gone."

Rickey Bobby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017