User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Qbrelis, Zestril

Learn more about Lisinopril.

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"Poison- don't take this! Lots of terrible side effects, it got so bad that I lost my far vision at the store one day, I could only see things within a foot or two. It took 10 minutes for my vision to return to normal. Poison!"

Pleasefindbettermeds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is pure poison plain and simple and anybody trying to portray this as a "medication" should be jailed. I hadn't been to a doctor in 44 years when the V.A. insisted that my BP was so high they couldn't put me into their database unless I took a BP "medication. Day one, "immediately" I fell off a cliff with side effects that were the same as daily doses of deadly "poisons". The "doctor",HA! says "keep taking it you'll get used to it. 10 weeks go by and, I continue to complain and the doctor continues to say "keep taking it you'll get used to it! Well, in 10 weeks I lost 32lbs. of solid muscle, I also had every side effect that the "hidden literature" listed that no-one bothered to tell me about !"

Enlightened Barbarian March 6, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can take this at 1.25 mg per day and it sets my BP at about 130/75 steadily. I was running about 150/90 before. I started at 2.5 mg (doc wanted 5 mg) and was a little short of breath. Went to 1.25 mg and it's plenty. If you are taking a larger dose try taking less before giving up from side effects. I can stop taking this for a few days and my BP stays low for about 3-4 days even. I am wondering if I am having some body achy-ness and foot pain from this though. Also a bit more mucous when on this. Not sure whether to try something else as this is effective for the BP. And dirt cheap."

momtokippy March 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug was quite effective for me for a long time. While I did cough some while taking it, it was never bothersome. Just recently, I did halt taking lisinopril, as I began experiencing facial and head tingling. I initially thought it was possibly stress or the multivitamins I also take. However, after eliminating the lisinopril, the facial and head tingling stopped, virtually immediately. So, as with anything, medications sometimes need to be re-evaluated for one's body."

Yvonnes February 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking lisinopril 10 mg about two months ago it was ok untill two weeks ago stools started to get real soft then got dirreaha very gassy wind all day. I never had problems with my bowels I'm 79 years old so I'm going off them and then going on another by pill."

Hotgrammy. ni (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yes, this will lower your BP. It also makes me very tired, dizzy when bending over and extremely exhausted when exerting energy. How am I supposed to improve my diastolic condition if I can even run for a mile without wanting to pass out.....I hate this drug! How can someone function with a heart rate of 90/ 65? Seriously!"

Jeff hates lisinopril! February 21, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine worked so well on my friend, but for me I start coughing like crazy for a whole week before I did find it was Lisinopril that makes me cough. I changed the medicine to Amlodipine and it was a nightmare. I just come back from the doctors office he changed me to Cozaar. I hope this medicine will work for me."

Ahmed Benali February 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Because this works for some I will not say it is a bad medication. It did bring down my blood pressure, however, for the week I took it I could not sleep more than an hour or two at a time. I have both a pulse ox meter as well as a BP meter and started keeping close watch and found that while on Lisinopril my resting pulse went very low. It was 44 at one point and rarely went above 70. My Dr was not concerned because he said that it did not stay in the low range, however, in my conclusion I believe that I was not sleeping because my pulse went too low and I was forced to wake up in order to get my resting pulse to raise enough to keep me alive. After stopping the medication my resting pulse went back up to its normal rate of around 60-75."

misspj2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do not take this drug. It causes excess mucus and coughing to the point of vomiting. It also causes terrible stomach pain. I took this for over a year and kept blaming my increased sinus mucus on allergies, milk products etc. The day I stopped the drug my symptoms stopped as well. Really doctors should never prescribe such a drug! It can also damage your liver and pancreas. Best to deal with your high blood pressure naturally than suffer the considerable side effects of the drugs that doctors prescribe. They get kick backs and lobster dinners from the drug reps to push their medication. Never take any medication without first trying to alter your life style and diet.. See a holistic doctor first"

Don't listen to doctors (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had experienced increasing blood pressure, which my physician and I thought was related to my anxiety disorder. After adding lisinopril 20 mg, nonheadaches, reductions in anxiety, and decreased flushing. My quality of life is so much better. If your readings are over 140/90 ask your physician about this lifesaver medication. It also has kidney protective properties."

Thaddeus Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking the lisinoprol a few weeks ago and I woke up with a migraine and throwing up. So I quit taking it. Wanted to try it again and the same thing.. Migraine and throwing u.. I think the high bp is better than that.. I've tried it four times and the same thing keeps happening."

Rhondakaren January 28, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"getting hard and staying hard is tough"

hard on less (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Blackout! Urgent care said high potassium levels (hyperkalemia). Type1 diabetic, I don't eat bananas or take supplements. Treated cuts from fall and discontinued pills."

Poothamby (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been watching my Bp for a while and knew it was a bit on the marginal side of high. When I finally decided to go see my Dr about it, was when it was 212/110. Couldn't get it below 186/94 no matter what I did. So, he put me on 20mg with 25mg hctz. Within the week (yesterday was one week) of being on it, my Bp at highest point is 151/86 and generally runs in the 130s over 67 to 76 at the highest. The only problem I'm having is I'm tired!"

PennySioux (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading most of the other reviews I wonder if I am on proper med. I have been taking since 12/24/16. Within 2 days my b/p was very close to normal. I do have slight headache, mild confusion and some dizziness. However, headaches were worse before taking this drug and also suffered from other side effects prior to taking it. I feel the benefits outweigh the adverse effects. Thank you."

Mannymae January 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't even want to give this drug one star! I started taking this medication back in June of 2016 for only about 3 weeks and I am still having side effects to this day! My whole life changed over night. I started having heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, I lost close to 30 lbs, hair lose, swollen nose, lip, and eye, pains/pressure in the top and back of head, shortness of breathe, blurred vision, weakness, nausea, pains in my stomach, night sweats, and leg cramps, entire body felt shaky ( and I'm pretty sure I'm missing some things). Numerous trips to the ER and 8 different doctors to basically be told they don't know whats wrong with me. Take my advice and do not take this."

BLaLo (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine gave me 12 side effects and I didn't know it was my medicine , until I read the side effects. Now I know what all the stomach discomfort or other sickness I was having."

S ypsi (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I always have high BP when I go to the doctor. I guess it's called white coat syndrome. Anyway my doctor had me checking my BP and keeping track of it. It was always okay. One time I had forgot to bring in the record and boom she puts me on Lisinopril 10 mg. I think the doctors get a kick back or something. She never talks of me getting off of it either. After awhile I started having bad leg cramps. She just said I was dehydrated and to drink more water. I swear she doesn't care one way or another about my health."

sunface December 13, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"hair loss massive hair loss"

ms senkir December 10, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Lisinopril for a month. My blood pressure was under control for the first time in a long time. One morning I woke up with some swelling to my face. As the morning progressed, the symptoms got worse. It was very painful for me to swallow. I ended up going to the ER only to find I had an allergic reaction to the medicine which is common in African Americans. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days. After having some blood drawn, my liver enzyme levels were highly elevated. After being off the medication, my liver enzyme levels are going down. Now my pcp check my labs every two weeks to keep an eye on my liver enzyme levels."

MissMonica80 November 26, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed me 5 mg AMLODIPINE FOR HBP , my bloodpressure got even higher !!! Now i'm using Lisinopril 2.5 mg and my BP dropped from 16/11 to 11/7 !!! after stopping with the amlodipine. Now after 8 months of testing i feel alive and kicking again. Hope to get rid off the lisinopril as well by changing my lifestyle - decimate grains , yoghurt and sugar and eat more fish - salmon and other fat fish - , avocado , kaki fruit - eggs ..... Hope to live a normal life again after my 50TH birthday."

Donald Trump November 18, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Anyone ever took Lotrel for hypertension? A cardio doc prescribed Lisinopril on TOP of my already-taking Lotrel, but the pharm doc said I could NOT take both medicines without my BP crashing. Confused, I called the prescribing cardiologist who said go ahead and get the "benefit" of both drugs. I did, and wound up in an ER semi-conscious; BP systolic (top number) was 52, I forget diastolic probably because I want to! Big worry was that my kidneys had "taken a hit." Later, Lisinopril by itself wasn't as effective as Lotrel. Two lessons, (1) some doctors are incompetent, and on drug matters the pharmacist is the final authority."

Eurastus November 13, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from alcoholism binges and take atenolol, clonidine, and amloapine, as well as OTC vitamins on a daily basis. When my doctor's intern added a prescription for Lisinopril (10 mg x1 a day) it was the first time in 25 years of drinking that I had a case of Delirium Tremens (very nasty and horrifying experience). I have had alcohol withdrawal symptoms may times before and had to go to the ER a few times for a few hours while they detoxed me. But this was like nothing I have ever experienced. I couldn't stand up without falling over, and had to get around on my hands and knees. I would normally take a cab to the ER, but I wouldn't even make it to the cab. Had to call 911 for paramedics to the tune of $1250.00. No more Lisinopril for me."

Hanky_spanky (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband has been now been taking Lisinopril right at 1 month, add a few days to that. The last week I noticed him complaining and dealing with some pretty rough heartburn, which just in the last 3 days has increased dramatically. He isn't one to complain about anything medical related but this has. He also has had more episodes of feeling bloated without any visible distention I could see or noticed. It's a heavy feeling that just sits there (upper middle abdomen) Well tonight or rather about 4 hours ago he had the same discomfort in upper abdomen with tenderness, bloated feeling, increase in burping, diarrhea, nausea that later progressed to vomiting. He threw up bile/green color. Can't lay down."

MHoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Recently diagnosed stage 1(142/92) and was put on 10mg of lisinopril. After reading the many horror stories, I was hesitant to start taking it and was going to consult the doctor about alternatives before trying. In lieu of talking with the doctor about alternatives, I decided to take a few days off and start the 10mg dosage to see how it would make me feel. Day 1 and 2, I was a little foggy and had some fatigue but the BP results were seen within 1 hour of starting (120/70) and have been taking now for two weeks with no more side effects. Beyond now taking the drug and a few lifestyle changes, I am very happy with the results. Working towards getting off this stuff within 6 months with weight loss and life changes. 51/male."

Kev 1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016