User Reviews for Lisinopril

Also known as: Prinivil, Qbrelis, Zestril

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I started taking Lisinopril 2 months ago. It did lower my BP but I had to stop immediately due to getting an eye condition called episcleritis. My eyes burned, itched, watered, and became severely red and I woke up with crusty eyes. The pain became too much to bear. I stopped the medication and they were all better in 2 days. This is a very rare side effect but I wanted to share my experience."

Sam May 17, 2018

"I have been taking Lisinipril for some time. Lately I have been having severe spikes and dives in readings. I called my doctor, she said to half the pills to raise my BP since I passed out twice in 3 hours in my apartment. I went to see her and could hardly drive, I was ready to pass out a the wheel of the car. When I got there my BP was 100/50. It is a miracle I made it there. So since halving the pills did help, I had to ask her to allow me to stop altogether the pills. My BP is now back to normal. It could have hurt me if I had not stopped taking it."

Steven R May 16, 2018

"Someone I know on this medication had taken it for ten years ended up in ER. His face and throat swelled they were unable to intubate him so he had a tracheotomy. After being sedated in ICU for several days pneumonia set in. Day 6 in ICU they gradually awaking him his stomach was tight and swollen. After a X-ray or CT scan he was rushed to emergency surgery he had a bowel blockage which resulted in perforation. It was leaking into his stomach they made incision all the down his stomach and removed part of intestine. So he’s been sedated again for 3 more days they have been waking him a portion of the day now he’s spiked a fever of 102. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks in the ICU and he’s still not off the vent or even been awake a significant time."

Beth (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2018

"After two weeks of a dry hacking cough 24 hours a day to the point of incontinence I took a z-pak. The cough stopped by the next day."

Laura (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

"Did the exact opposite. I went from 150 / 92... 2 as high as 210 over 140"

Dogleg1957 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I had extremely high blood that my Dr. tried first HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide), which is a diuertic, that didn't touch it, then atenolol, which helped but it was the added lisinipril that FINALLY got it down. Been on it now for 15 years. Recently my mom and her health problems made me more aware of my own and I talked with my doc about lisinipril. And read up on it. It is not metabolized by the liver like I originally thought which gives my liver a break. It isn't actually metabolized at all and is excreted wholly thru the urine. I have had NO side effects in all of the years I have taken it and it has kept my pressure under control without any additional increases in dosages. It is also covered by most insurances and is very cheap. I highly recommend this medication."

Tina (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2018

"I've been taking 10 mg lisinopril for blood pressure daily for over 8 years & all was OK. Lupin reformulated their process & made the pill smaller in 2017. As I started taking the reformulated pills, I noticed severe fatigue & falling asleep after every meal. Stared feeling depressed & finally severe heart pounding & arrhythmia within 1 hour after taking it. That scared me so I stopped. Within 3 days I was no longer fatigued, had a brighter outlook & NO heart arrhythmia or pounding. Whatever Lupin did in their reformulation it took a proper functioning medication & made it dangerous to use. Reading blogs, I'm not the only one who suffered thru adverse reaction to Luipn's reformulation of lisinopril I am refusing to take ANY medication manufactured by Lupin..."

joon (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2018

"I've been on this for about a week and am anxious to get off of it. I was taking Atenolol before with little side effects and before that Bystolic. I had to move from Atenolol to Bystolic because of the price increase. A week ago, Atenolol seemed to have stopped working for me. I was also experiencing swollen ankles, something I had never experienced before. The doctor told me my blood pressure was too high and my pulse too low and described Lisinopril which I started on a Tuesday. My blood pressure went down nicely and my pulse rate went up. Unfortunately, by Saturday my rate dropped so low that I passed out. And tonight my pulse is over 100. I never experienced such a wide range of numbers before. I have an appointment this Thurs., but am thinking of doing a walk in tomorrow after reading this. I also have noticed a lack of ambition, a need to sit down (feeling weak). I am usually an avid reader, but have no desire to even do that. Not happy with this drug at all."

connie (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I took this for a year and it seem to have worked well or so I thought. Until I started coughing thinking it was my sinuses. Then shortness of breath when walking long distances. I was sleeping good until the final night I woke up with my throat closing up, my tongue swollen this reaction landed me in intense care with kidney problems. I will be going to a specialist for the rest of my life to what this med has done. When my family has been prescribed this medicine I recommend them not to take this. Why is is it on the market it can prove fatal if medical intervention is not taken. The physician in the hospital told me lisinipril taken for a day or years can go against your health. Why has this medication still prescribed?"

IncodopeI t (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2018

"This medicine needs to be discontinued. I've been on Lisinopril for about 4 years. Out the blue on Monday, the right side of my lip began to swell. I took a Benadryl and prayed, I would wake up in the morning to see my personal physician. The nonchalant attitude I was presented with left me speechless. Knowing the side effects and the danger of this medication, why is it still on the market? Shame on yall!!!"

Big Lips (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2018

"Pharmacy is OptumRx. Last bottle showed Solco HC as manufacturer and pill was as shown on the Solco site. New bottle shows manufacturer Solco and pill is white and round. Stamped with 4214 and a stylized V on the reverse. Web search shows this as manufactured by Vintage Pharmaceuticals Inc. Did Solco buy Vintage? Did OptumRx make a labeling mistake?"

Multipilluser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

"I was given lisinopril 10 mg for congestive heat failure. My BP is 106/70 now. Since I began, ten months ago, taking the pill I have experienced the following problems; gained 18 pounds, have no interest, energy or ambition to do anything. It has taken the life out of me. Cannot do any physical activity, no strength. People tell me I am not the same person I use to be. I will not recommend this drug to anyone. I will try a natural remedy instead."

1 maddad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2018

"I've been on medicine for over 8 years and now blood pressure levels still high as 170/103 and I'm on a 10mg of the medicine, I exercise up to 4 hours a week, walking like up to 16,000 steps have no other related problems like diabetes, or super high cholesterol"

dove tail March 14, 2018

"Was admitted to hospital 3/5/18 swelling in mouth and throat had to have breathing tube for for 2 days to keep alive. I have taken this Med for several years it has been well documented that there have been many cases with negative reactions with this medication even causing death. You should talk with your doctor about Lisinopril."

DAS (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2018

"I have been on Lisinopril hctz 12.5 - 10 mg for a week with no reduced bp. Dr increased to 20 mg second week. It now makes me dizzy, weak & sleepy after about 30 mins taking it. Seems my bp has dropped a little after 2 days of increase but I don't feel good after taking it. I go back for a bp check this week..not sure If to stay on the higher dose???"

BCB (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

"Absolutely horrible drug"

Vin22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

"I've been on Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiazide for about 6 weeks. My BP was high (200/100) after an especially stressful day so I went to the Dr. to see about getting medication. I started on a dose of 12.5/20mg but had side effects, including dizziness and extreme exhaustion in the afternoon. Then my BP started getting a little too low. So my Dr. suggested I cut the dose in half. So far that seems to be working. I'm less dizzy and my BP is usually in the "ideal" range after I take it. However, I do have digestive problems that I never experienced before, so I think it's related to the pills. I'm hoping to lose weight so I can come off this pill but for now will keep taking the half pill. The key thing is to check your BP at certain times to make sure you have the proper dose. Some Drs are pill pushers who create more problems for their patients than necessary. However, it IS important to keep your BP in check, so take medication if needed and monitor it closely. (52 year old female)"

socal2018 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

"I'd been taking lisinopril 10 mg with 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide once per day for many years and it worked very well. Then Lupin changed the formulation and removed the 'inactive' ingredients (much smaller pill) around July 2017. Noticed hair falling out, blood pressure spikes, more fatique feeling. Changed to Watson pills, hair no longer falling out but blood pressure running to high, headaches. Not sure what's the best move now, stronger dose or different type of BP medication."

Paxplant (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2018

"I took lisinopril for years then all of a sudden one day I had heart palpitations for a week all day long along with a rapid heart rate, once I was taking off the drug they eventually stopped. But now I still get them every now and again. Has this happened to anyone else thats takin this medication?"

Tiffany502 February 5, 2018

"Given low dose lisinopril for moderately high BP, dropped it about 10 points. After 3 months the side effects came....pain literally everywhere, bloodshot dry eyes, tachycardias, skin flushing, vision loss, corneal ulcer, stomach pains, sore joints, skin redness. Ended up in the ER. Eye doctor didn't know what it was, internal medicine doctor tested me for all sorts of things, couldn't figure it out. I finally stopped the "medicine" and all of my symptoms went away, except for blood pressure which is even higher. I can't take any ACE inhibitor now. Bad drug don't risk your life on this toxic product."

Rich23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

"Lisinopril barely kept my blood pressure in the good range for both diastolic and systolic with my numbers being higher almost 40% of the time with twice-daily monitoring. Additionally, the medication caused a nasty cough that disappeared after I switched medications."

Le Ocelot (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 27, 2018

"First time taking this medicine, had an allergic reaction, only took one , and apparently one is all it took. Right side of lip started to swell , took it at 10pm the previous night, next day , swelling continued to increase. Checked blood pressure often, numbers were lower than what I’ve ever seen. A normal range for me was around 150/99-110, 115/80 afterwards. Although numbers were good, I will not take ever again. Going to try Norvasc"

Noel13615 January 26, 2018

"My BP was 170/110 consistently for weeks and I took my readings to the Doctor who prescribed 10mg of Lisinopril a day. I have now been on the drug for 10 days and my BP is 118/73. Incredible reduction... Touch wood, I have no side effects and Lisinopril seems to be very effective. I would certainly recommend this drug."

Shorefish (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2018

"Prescribed 20mg once a day for high BP. After 3 days sore muscles and stomach pain. Day 4 was in unbearable stomach pain and distention. Labor pains with gas pain and stabbing. Started to google side effects and I was in an allergic reaction. Stopped the meds and am 30 hours out of no doses and massively better. Still stomach tenderness and distention. Will make better lifestyle changes rather than take this med."

Not yet 40 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

"I was prescribed Lisinopril 20mg due to having high BP. It's been almost 2 months since I started, before taking it my BP was around 140-160 / 100-122. It is currently 110-127 / 94-99. I'm still unsure why my Diastolic is high. I made arrangements to see a Cardiologist, but I've been waiting nearly two months for my appointment. I don't really know if the Lisinopril is working, or if it's due to the lifestyle changes I made in conjunction. I've been on it for over a month now and what I do notice is since a week or two ago, to this day, I get very, very itchy at night. It feels like little ants biting me. I thought it would've gone away by now, but it seems to get worse. I'm going to speak to my Doc asap."

Arnold Nieman (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018