Does lisinopril cause weight gain?
Lisinopril, a commonly prescribed angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, does not lead to any measurable weight gain or weight loss based on clinical studies conducted by the manufacturer.
Lisinopril may cause some side effects that can cause swelling or fluid retention, which may appear as weight gain in some patients.
Lisinopril may cause swelling (fluid retention) in your feet or ankles, which may lead to weight changes or the appearance of weight changes. If you have fluid (water) retention it may be due to kidney problems which can be caused by lisinopril. If you know that you have kidney problems or take any other medicines, tell your doctor about these conditions or medicines before you start lisinopril treatment.
Patients treated with lisinopril for congestive heart failure may develop rapid weight gain as a symptom of the disease. If you experience a sudden or unexplained increase in weight, contact your doctor right away. Call your doctor if you have swelling in your legs or feet, little or no urination, trouble breathing, feeling tired or shortness of breath, coughing up blood or other side effects that bother you or do not go away.
Does lisinopril cause angioedema?
Angioedema, a swelling of your face, lips, tongue, throat, genitals or anywhere on the body may be a sign of a serious allergic reaction to ACE inhibitors, including lisinopril. It can happen at any time after starting treatment. Angioedema may lead to dangerous swelling in the tissue under the skin. This may appear as weight gain due to the swollen appearance.
If you think you are having a serious allergic reaction, get emergency help right away. Angioedema can be life-threatening if it affects your breathing. Call 911 immediately if you have trouble breathing, swelling in your mouth or throat, wheezing, itching, a rash, hives, or feel like you are going to faint.
ACE inhibitors have been associated with a higher rate of angioedema in black patients than in non-black patients.
You should not use lisinopril if:
- you have a history of angioedema or allergy related to previous treatment with an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor like lisinopril
- you have a history of hereditary or idiopathic angioedema
Tell your doctor about all of your former and present medical conditions, if you’ve had airway surgery and medicines that you take before you start treatment with lisinopril.
How do I recognize angioedema?
Swelling underneath the skin may be the only symptom for angioedema, but it can be very serious in some cases. Other signs or symptoms can include:
- pain and burning in the swollen area
- hives or an itchy rash
- a cough, wheezing, and shortness of breath
- irritated eyes and nose
- stomach pain
Other medicines you may need to take to help treat angioedema are antihistamines, epinephrine (like an EpiPen), or corticosteroids (like prednisone).
Learn more: Which Drugs Cause Weight Gain?
This is not all the information you need to know about lisinopril for safe and effective use and does not take the place of your doctor’s directions. Review the full lisinopril information and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Slater EE, Merrill DD, Guess HA, et al. Clinical profile of angioedema associated with angiotensin converting-enzyme inhibition. JAMA. 1988;260(7):967-970.
- Lisinopril prescribing information. Drugs.com. Accessed March 22, 2022 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/lisinopril.html#s-34076-0
- Townsend R, author. Major side effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers. Up to Date. Accessed March 21, 2022 at https://www.uptodate.com/contents/major-side-effects-of-angiotensin-converting-enzyme-inhibitors-and-angiotensin-ii-receptor-blockers
- Lisinopril. Side effects. Drugs.com Accessed March 21, 2022 at https://www.drugs.com/lisinopril.html#side-effects
Related medical questions
- What is the strength of Qbrelis (lisinopril) oral solution?
- How long after taking 5 mg lisinopril will my blood pressure drop down?
- Do ACE inhibitors make COVID-19 worse?
- Can I just stop taking lisinopril?
- Are you Experiencing Side Effects from your Medicine? Here's what you should know
- Is obesity a major risk factor for Covid-19?
- How do Mounjaro, Wegovy & Ozempic compare for weight loss?
- What are 4 key Ozempic side effects to watch out for?
- Mounjaro vs Ozempic: How do they compare?
- Does Wellbutrin XL/SR cause weight gain or loss?
- How long does it take to lose weight on Wegovy?
- Lisinopril Information for Consumers
- Lisinopril prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Lisinopril (detailed)