Does Ozempic need to be refrigerated?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on June 7, 2020.
- Ozempic (semaglutide) should stay refrigerated until the first time you use it. You should keep it in the refrigerator (between 36°F to 46°F or 2°C to 8°C) when it’s new and unused.
- After you’ve used your pen for the first time, you can either store your pen for 56 days at room temperature (between 59ºF to 86ºF or 15ºC to 30ºC) or you can still keep it in the refrigerator for 56 days. Keep the pen cap on when it is not in use.
- Unused Ozempic pens may be used until the expiration (EXP) date printed on the label, if stored in the refrigerator. Don’t freeze the pen or use it if it has been frozen. Be sure to store it out of reach of children and pets.
- The Ozempic pen you are using should be disposed of (thrown away) after 56 days (whether kept in the refrigerator or at room temperature), even if it still has Ozempic left in it. Write the disposal date on your calendar so you can keep track.
When stored in the refrigerator, do not store Ozempic pens directly next to the cooling element. Keep Ozempic away from heat and out of the light. Don't leave your pens in the car, as they may get too hot or cold.
Do not share your Ozempic pen with anyone, even if you have changed the needle. You may share a serious infection with others or they may give you a serious infection. Plus, while many type 2 diabetes medications are injected, there are many different types of medicines, and Ozempic may not work in someone else or be harmful.
How long can you leave Ozempic out for?
Ozempic needs to stay in the refrigerator until you use it for the first time. One you have used it, it can stay in the fridge (36°F to 46°F or 2°C to 8°C) or you can leave it out at room temperature (59ºF to 86ºF or 15ºC to 30ºC) for 56 days. After 56 days, it must be thrown away, even if there is medicine left in the pen.
Unused Ozempic pens may be kept until the expiration (EXP) date printed on the label, but they must be stored in the refrigerator.
What is Ozempic prescribed for?
Ozempic (semaglutide) is prescription medicine used in adults, along with diet and exercise, to improve their blood sugar in patients with type 2 diabetes. It is also used to reduce the risk of major cardiovascular (heart and blood vessel) events such as a heart attack, stroke, or death in adults with type 2 diabetes and known heart disease.
It is not known if Ozempic is safe and effective for use in children under 18 years of age.
Ozempic is given only once per week (on the same day each week) as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection. Your health care provider can teach you to give yourself these injections at home.
It is not known if Ozempic can be used in people who have had pancreatitis.
- not a substitute for insulin
- not for use in people with type 1 diabetes
- not for use in people with diabetic ketoacidosis.
How does Ozempic come at the pharmacy?
Ozempic injection is available at the pharmacy in two options:
- A carton that contains one prefilled pen with 2 mg/1.5 mL of Ozempic. This pen delivers doses of 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection. The carton also contains 6 NovoFine Plus needles. Intended for treatment initiation at the 0.25 mg dose and maintenance treatment at the 0.5 mg dose.
- A carton that contains two prefilled pens with 2 mg/1.5 mL of Ozempic. This pen delivers doses of 1 mg per injection. The carton also contains 4 NovoFine Plus needles. Intended for maintenance treatment at the 1 mg dose only. Each pen delivers 2 doses of the 1 mg strength; two pens deliver 4 doses total.
Don’t share your Ozempic pen injector with anyone, even if the needle is changed. Always use a new needle for each injection.
- Ozempic should stay refrigerated (between 36°F to 46°F or 2°C to 8°C) until the first time you use it.
- After you’ve used your pen for the first time, you can either store your pen for 56 days at room temperature (between 59ºF to 86ºF or 15ºC to 30ºC) or you can still keep it on the refrigerator for 56 days.
- Throw away any Ozempic pen in use after 56 days, (whether kept in the refrigerator or at room temperature), even if it has medicine left in it.
- Unused Ozempic pens may be used until the expiration (EXP) date printed on the label, if stored in the refrigerator.
This is not all the information you need to know about Ozempic (semaglutide) for safe and effective use. Review the full Ozempic information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Ozempic (semaglutide) [Package Insert]. Revised March 2020. Novo Nordisk. Plainsboro, NJ. Accessed June 7, 2020 at https://www.novo-pi.com/ozempic.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- How many doses are in an Ozempic pen?
- How long does it take for Ozempic to work?
- What is Ozempic used for and how does it work?
- Where and how should Ozempic be injected?
- Does Rybelsus help with weight loss?
- How long does it take for Rybelsus to start working?
- What is Rybelsus used for and how does it work?
- What type of drug is Ozempic (semaglutide)?
- Ozempic Information for Consumers
- Ozempic Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Ozempic (detailed)