Generic Name: Umeclidinium and Vilanterol (ue me kli DIN ee um & VYE lan ter ol)
Brand Name: Anoro Ellipta
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 10, 2019.
- Drugs like this one may raise the chance of asthma-related deaths in people with asthma who do not also use an inhaled steroid. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved to treat asthma. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Anoro Ellipta:
- It is used to treat COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- This medicine is not to be used to treat intense flare-ups of shortness of breath. Use a rescue inhaler. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Anoro Ellipta?
- If you have an allergy to umeclidinium, vilanterol, or any other part of Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a milk allergy.
- If you are taking or will be taking another drug like this one.
- If you take other drugs called anticholinergics, like ipratropium or oxybutynin. Ask your doctor if you are not sure if any of your drugs are anticholinergic.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Anoro Ellipta?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Call your doctor right away if your breathing problems get worse, if your rescue inhaler does not work as well, or if you need to use your rescue inhaler more often.
- Have your blood pressure checked often. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Do not take more of Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) or use it more often than you have been told. Deaths have happened when too much of this type of drug has been taken. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Anoro Ellipta) best taken?
Use Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- For breathing in only.
- Take Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) at the same time of day.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not take out the inhaler from the foil tray until right before first use.
- Do not take the device apart or wash it. Do not use it with a spacer. Do not breathe out into the device.
- Close the device after each dose. Do not open the device unless a dose is being used.
- If you are using more than 1 inhaled drug, ask the doctor which drug to use first.
- Have your inhaler use checked with your doctor at each visit. Read and follow facts on how to use the inhaler. Make sure you use the inhaler the right way.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Do not use more than 1 time a day.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of low potassium levels like muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Very bad headache.
- Very bad dizziness.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Seeing halos or bright colors around lights.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Pain when passing urine.
- This medicine can cause very bad breathing problems right after you take a dose. Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. If you have trouble breathing, breathing that is worse, wheezing, or coughing after using Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol), use a rescue inhaler and get medical help right away.
What are some other side effects of Anoro Ellipta?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Sore throat.
- Runny nose.
- Throat irritation.
- Muscle spasm.
- Pain in arms or legs.
- Neck pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Anoro Ellipta?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- After opening, throw away any part not used after 6 weeks or when the indicator reads zero, whichever comes first.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) is refilled. If you have any questions about Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium / vilanterol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 33 Reviews
- Drug class: bronchodilator combinations