Can Anoro Ellipta and Advair be used together?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 2, 2020.
Do not use Advair (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation) in combination with Anoro Ellipta (umeclidinium and vilanterol) as both medications contain a long-acting beta agonist (LABA) and the combined use may lead to a risk of dangerous overdose. Only use the Advair or Anoro dose prescribed for you by your doctor.
Both Anoro and Advair are used for the maintenance treatment of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Advair is used to treat asthma.
Excessive or combined use of long-acting beta agonists (LABAs) like salmeterol or vilanterol may lead to serious heart risks and possible death. Examples of other LABAs include: salmeterol, formoterol fumarate, arformoterol tartrate, and indacaterol.
Combining beta agonists medications may lead to:
- fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- elevated blood pressure
- irregular heart rhythm.
Discuss these side effects with your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have a history of high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms or heart disease.
- Advair Diskus. [package insert]. Research Triangle Park, NC. GlaxoSmithKline. May 2019. Accessed April 2, 2020. https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/content/dam/GlaxoSmithKline/US/en/Prescribing_Information/Advair_Diskus/pdf/ADVAIR-DISKUS-PI-PIL-IFU.PDF
- Anoro Ellipta. [package insert]. Research Triangle Park, NC. GlaxoSmithKline. May 2019. Accessed April 2, 2020. https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/content/dam/GlaxoSmithKline/US/en/Prescribing_Information/Anoro_Ellipta/pdf/ANORO-ELLIPTA-PI-PIL-IFU.PDF
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for Anoro Ellipta to start working?
- Can Anoro and albuterol be used together?
- Do you have to rinse your mouth after using Anoro Ellipta?
- Is Anoro Ellipta a steroid medication?
- How much does Anoro Ellipta cost without insurance?
- Can Anoro Ellipta and Breo Ellipta be used together?
- Trelegy vs Anoro: Which is better?
- Anoro Ellipta Information for Consumers
- Anoro Ellipta Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Anoro Ellipta (detailed)