Is Anoro Ellipta a steroid medication?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 2, 2020.
No, Anoro is not a steroid (corticosteroid) medication and does not contain any steroids. Anoro contains two inhaled bronchodilator agents: umeclidinium, a long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA, also known as an anticholinergic agent) and vilanterol, a long-acting beta2-agonist (LABA).
Anoro Ellipta is used once-daily to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) over the long-term (for maintenance treatment). Anoro should not be used to treat asthma or as a rescue (quick-acting) inhaler such as albuterol. Anoro is not for sudden breathing problems.
Anoro works by relaxing the muscles around the airways in your lungs and makes it easier for you to get air in and out of your lungs. This helps to prevent symptoms such as wheezing, cough, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
Anoro, from GlaxoSmithKline, is administered using the Ellipta inhaler.
- Anoro Ellipta. [package insert]. Research Triangle Park, NC. GlaxoSmithKline. May 2019. Accessed April 2, 2020. https://www.gsksource.com/pharma/content/dam/GlaxoSmithKline/US/en/Prescribing_Information/Anoro_Ellipta/pdf/ANORO-ELLIPTA-PI-PIL-IFU.PDF
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for Anoro Ellipta to start working?
- Can Anoro and albuterol be used together?
- Do you have to rinse your mouth after using Anoro Ellipta?
- How much does Anoro Ellipta cost without insurance?
- Can Anoro Ellipta and Advair be used together?
- Can Anoro Ellipta and Breo Ellipta be used together?
- Trelegy vs Anoro: Which is better?
- Anoro Ellipta Information for Consumers
- Anoro Ellipta Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Anoro Ellipta (detailed)