User Reviews for Symbicort

Symbicort has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 187 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, Maintenance
6.6
COPD
7.4
COPD, Maintenance
6.2
Summary of Symbicort reviews 6.7 187 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Symbicort

Goblin · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “After reading all of your blogs, I thought that I should give you all of the symptoms that I had. First: intestinal bleeding, vaginal bleeding (with no uterus), sinus bleeding, skin bruising, skin peeling off causing extensive bleeding, torn Achilles, screaming leg cramps, loss of muscle tone, osteoporosis (loss of 3” in height). Bloating, diarrhea, constipation, eye issues, depression, anxiety, heart palpitations...I’m sure there are others that I have overlooked. Wouldn’t be my first choice or my last choice...stay away from this drug!”

cl copd sufferer June 11, 2016

For COPD: “Absolutely the best copd medicine i have ever taken. Why did i destroy my own lungs with cigarettes? Youth and stupidity I guess. went from a dying couch potato to a 5k runner with Symbicort. 2 puffs in the morning and 2 before bed keeps me in great shape. It really is an amazing drug for copd sufferers.”

axslinger · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 4, 2013

For COPD: “Symbicort works well as a maintenance medication for my COPD. I use in combination with Spiriva. The only down side is that it causes anxiety and "jitters" for me. I am already an anxious person so this can be a problem.”

NEG July 26, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’ve had asthma my entire life. It went away while I was a teenager, but crept back into my life in my 20s. Then it got even worse when I moved to a city. None of my medicines were working (albuterol, albuterol sulfate, breo..) I developed really bad anxiety and would have panic attacks because I couldn’t breathe. My chest felt tired and hurt from always struggling to breathe. Basically my asthma led to other health issues. When I tried Symbicort my asthma symptoms decreased by 80% after the first use. It’s now been a week of continued use and I can breathe normally. I almost forgot what that felt like. Symbicort has improved my quality of life in so many ways.”

LilNikki · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’ve had asthma since I was a little kid. I’ve been on symbicort for at least 20 years, I’m 35 now. It has been a god send. As long as you remember to take it every morning and night it works. I hardly ever need my rescue inhaler, to be honest as long as I remember to take it I forget I even have asthma sometimes. But if I forget the symptoms come back pretty quick. Only side effects I notice is I have to clear my throat a lot, and you need to remember to wash your mouth out every time or you’ll get thrush. But that only happens once or twice and you’ll never forget again! Definitely worth a try, it’s a lifesaver for me.”

deongg · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 11, 2014

For COPD: “I'm pretty sure that I would have died without it. I had already had full respiratory failure with extended hospital stay and hooked up to oxygen when I went home. Then once I got off of the oxygen I had emergency level exacerbations sometimes 3 or 4 times a week which increases your mortality rate. When I started using the Symbicort it went away.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Loved how it worked first week or two, but then developed bad chest pain, racing heart, jitteriness, muscle spasms, fatigue, dry mouth, pain urinating- being switched to another inhaler, without formetorol.”

Wolf · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Been on symbicort approx 3 weeks. Prior med was Asthanex plus rescue inhaler. I'm stunned. I have not used my rescue inhaler since starting symbicort. I don't feel like the same person. I am active again. I feel like myself for the first time in over a year. Not experiencing negative side effects. Thankful.”

Mrzeee · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2013

For COPD: “After the VA diagnosed my concern as COPD they gave me Combivent 4 times a day and I had to use a rescue Albuterol in between that. It was very discouraging. The doctor then sent me Symbicort 80/4.5 the first day was a miracle. I can shovel snow, walk my dog 1/2 mile and have not touched the rescue once. Not sure of any side effects yet as it has been only a week but the BEST week in a long time. I would recommend this to anyone who can use it.”

balladucci · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “AWFUL! Switched from Advair cause of insurance and I have been sick for 3 months and after labs and tests etc keep getting told its probably something lingering viral. Headaches, numbness, severe fatigue, pain etc etc Finally after reading all the reviews and side effects realized this was causing my problems. I decided to come off it and pay full price for Advair. Starting to feel better and hope this horrible drug leaves my system soon and didn't cause permanent damage”

71380 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 17, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been using symbicort a couple of years. I have lost my sense of smell, my nose runs and I talk like I have had a stroke I stopped using 4 days. I don't feel any worse, but I know it takes a couple of weeks to get out of your system so I will see what happens.”

Cody · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Prescribed when I had a respiratory infection...great! BUT I couldn’t get off it...prior to this I might have used my ProAir inhaler twice a week, mainly when I was exposed to mold or very furry dogs. Since being on Symbicort I have lost 2 1/2 inches in height...bloating, vaginal bleeding, depression, anxiety, rash, peripheral neuropathy, Achilles’ tendon tear, muscle weakness, bruising, easy bleeding, tears of the skin (thinning of the skin). I was 69 when I was put on the drug so all of these symptoms were due to “aging”...don’t think so as I didn’t have any of these problems prior to Symbicort. The most insidious part is that it attacks your muscles, weakens them and you need your “core” muscles to breath...polio attacked muscles...they developed the iron lung to allow people to breath. After being off this drug for one week, I can feel my diaphragm again. Still working on total “back to normal””

Paul74 November 26, 2010

For COPD: “Had tried Advair and one other inhaler and didn't do anything. Was using albuterol when needed (2-3 times a day). Doctor put me on Symbicort and had immediate relief. Only take 2 puffs in the morning and set for the day. No side effects yet (6 weeks now). Hopefully it will continue to work on my COPD. Also, I'm a smoker (of course trying to quit) and even with smoking, Symbicort has worked great.”

Seeker · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I’ve had asthma for most of my life and tried many different medications. This one has been one of the worst. I tried both the turbohaler and the Rapihaler over a period of 3-4 months and found both gave me headaches, muscle aches, nausea, a loud heartbeat, broken sleep, increased anxiety, and some depression. I’ve had success with pulmicort so I imagine that it’s the formoterol that is the issue. There is also a contradiction for symbicort and some antidepressants so be careful. I won’t be using this again in the future.”

Big Dog80 October 14, 2011

For COPD: “After the first use of 160/4.5 Symbicort my lungs opened and phlegm coughed up. Had more energy. This product is the first time in 5 yrs that I felt it working. VA even carries the product. I also have more energy.”

Mich September 24, 2020

For COPD: “I was given symbicort on June 15,2020, on June 17,2020, I lost my voice completely I can only whisper softly, it's now September 24,2020 and I still have no voice. All due to a Dr who prescribed it for a misdiagnosis of COPD, now what do I do??? They tell me it's been so long with no voice I might not ever get it back, is it lawyer time , or what????”

Jo August 29, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Have had chronic asthma since I was 12 years old and am now 43. Have tried many different meds, throughout life and nothing but my rescue inhaler really worked. Was prescribed Advair and it worked great but caused bad heart palpitations, unfortunately. Went back to using rescue inhaler only until my doc. prescribed me Symbicort almost two years ago for poorly controlled asthma and it works great! The side effects that I notice are heart palpitations but not as severe as with Advair, aching joints, eye problems like blurriness and recently had a bad eye infection but not sure of the cause? I feel very torn about stopping though because I hardly ever reach for my rescue puffer now and feel like I’m more active! Been having bad hip pain and Im wondering if it’s not causing that too? If I try to go off, I can’t breathe well so I’m trying to look at the bright side of being able to breathe.”

Emmief · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “In January of this year I caught an upper respiratory infection which caused chest tightness. I visited my allergist who put me on Symbicort 180 - 2 puffs morning and night. I used it for only 5 days and only once a day for the last 3 days. I developed larygospasm (thought I was suffocating), dysphonia, pharingitis, and dysphasia. I stopped using it two weeks ago. I just saw an ENT who diagnosed (I believe misdiagnosed) me with Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), and presbylarynx. She prescribed ZANTAC and Prilosec for LPR and is sending me to a speech therapist for my vocal issues. I had NONE of these symptoms prior to using Symbicort two weeks ago. I will see the speech therapist but refuse to take either a Proton Pump inhibitor or and H2 blocker as I do not have LPR, I have throat damage from using Symbicort. Symbicort is a dangerous, harmful drug that should be taken off the market. There is nothing more evil than big pharma.”

Tish · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “In my first few days on this medication (Symibcort), I had trouble breathing especially at night, my throat seemed to tighten , so I used my ventolin inhaler more often. I woke up and could hardly open my hands or bend my knees my joints were very stiff. I felt as though I was dying on this medication. I stopped immediately!!”

Hamid July 30, 2018

For COPD: “Symbicort is good but company doing bad with patients by giving them 80% discount pass which is costlier than actual open Market price for example I am buy symbicort @ $241. On CVS. The company is giving symbicort value after 80% discount @$309.53 Why they are deceiving innocent patients. If $309.53 is there 80% discounted price it's mean actual price is $1547.65 while I have bought it 4 times on $241. at CVS. It looks they are getting hidden benefits from any organization by showing that they have given millions of dollars discount to COPD patients. If you not publish it as it is I will go to other methods. They are answerable.”

BB · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 9, 2020

For COPD: “Symbicort is the best inhaler. You receive immediate relief breathing and it relieves your breathing for extended period. The only problem is, the inhaler is very expensive. My doctor was giving me a free sample but they do not have anymore. I'm trying Pro Air but it is not as effective.”

kenth · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2018

For COPD: “I've had asthma my entire adult life. It has always been bad. Winters were worse, summers not quite as bad as winters. My asthma/COPD has gotten worse the last two years. Summer is as bad as winter. I've been using Flovent with a rescue inhaler. Even with Flovent, I was using the rescue inhaler all the time. I couldn't sleep a night through without waking up needing the inhaler. I tried Advair, no better. So this last visit to my doctor, he put me on Symbicort. I've gone a month without needing the rescue inhaler. I haven't used it once! It's so freeing not having to worry if I'm running out of inhales. I couldn't do my job, enjoy the outdoors, be active without worrying I couldn't breathe. This has been a miracle medication for me.”

Jessica B February 24, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I am 27 and have mild to moderate asthma along with GERD and a couple SVT attacks a year. My asthma has been getting worse over the past couple years. I tried symbicort for maintenance. I didn't see a difference in the first few weeks. Suddenly I had such severe reflux I could not eat, and diet adjustments did not help. I had terrible palpitations, hundreds a day. For weeks I suffered and my gastro had no idea what was happening. I tried muscle relaxants in case of a GI spasm. After many failed attempts to figure out what's wrong I stopped taking symbicort daily and everything resolved quickly. Never ever ever ever again will I touch this horrible medication.”

Gold40 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 27, 2013

For COPD, Maintenance: “I have been using Symbicort for 8 months now. It has been a life changer for me. I was using my rescue inhaler at least 4 times a day previous to being put on Symbicort. I have only had to use it twice since starting on it. The only side effect I have had is that past few months I have been woken up every night by very bad cramps in my feet and my calves. ”

Dody August 13, 2020

For COPD: “I have insurance with AARP & United Health . After paying $195 a year for medical, I pay $47 for Symbicort. I have no monthly premium. Otherwise, I would be paying over $350 for it. Try different insurances. I found mine very affordable. I have not had to pay any office visits or blood tests.”