User Reviews for Symbicort

Learn more about Symbicort.

Symbicort Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"I'm kinda surprised at some of the negative reviews too. I've had asthma all my life and this miracle drug put asthma in its place (not active). I get asthma from allergies and cardio exercises. Was given a sample by a doctor I used to work for because I kept using my ProAir every 30min throughout the day. After that sample of Symbicort, my life changed forever. I don't know what it is about this drug, but it only takes 2 puffs and BAM, my asthma isn't a problem until next year. Can't live without it. Its amazing stuff right here. I live by this drug (unfortunately) but fortunate that it gives me freedom from asthma for almost a full year. Problem free"

Misael J Jr. May 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symbicort did nothing for my adult-onset asthma. In fact, I get the sense that nothing is coming out of my turboinhaler. I am going to ask my doctor to switch me to something else. I am very doubtful about the turboinhaler delivery method. What was wrong with conventional inhalers? Nothing, I suspect. The turboinhaler is just a gimmick that should be recalled."

Charles999 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symbicort is one of the best medication that works for asthma."

Kanwalpreet February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Symbicort inhaler for a couple of years for Asthma which I seem to have picked up since our last move to Vernon BC. and during this time have completely lost my taste buds. I am a retired professional chef and tasting food is important to me. I can hardly taste any salt seasonings etc . I can not smell things like peppermint, curry paprika etc. Right now I am just cooking from experience and I do not like it one bit."

swissboy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am genuinely surprised at how many people have had bad experiences on this drug! It's interesting since I've had an amazing time with symbicort and it's made my life a lot easier. I had mostly allergy and exercised enduced asthma and growing up only occasionally needed my blue puffer. It was when I started to get nocturnal asthma and a hard time breathing in the winter that my really frequent use of the rescue inhaler was not a good thing. Symbicort has made everything a lot easier. I finally sleep the entire night without waking up thinking I'm having an attack. Only downside is when my asthma is very persistent, 1 puff doesn't last the entire 12 hours for me but I can always up my dosage with my doctor if needed."

MUDanielle December 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given Symbicort inhaler after Urgent care sent me to hospital for severe asthma. Symbicort took forever (2 1/2 weeks) to help, and then, only slightly. Back started aching 3rd day I was on it. Just figured, at first, it was from trying to sleep in hospital bed. Head ached, too, though. Joints started aching soon after. Two weeks later, Symbicort seemed to help enough to maybe use the ProAir, or nebulizer, a couple times less during the day. But, still needing it, at times. Back/joints/ headache continued after all other meds from hospital discharge finished. Plus, short of breath a lot, with achiness in upper chest a week or so ago. Stopped Symbicort Sunday night. Now Wednesday, and already feeling better."

Gramma W (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was having to use my ProAir all the time. I did my pulmonary function test and came back with a combination of Asthma with mild COPD. I knew I was having difficulty breathing and boy did this help. I use a spacer with it and it really helps to keep it from hitting my tongue or areas of my mouth. It really helps it to get into my lungs. I do wash my mouth out afterwards to. I was using my ProAir without a spacer until my pulmonary function test until my pulmonary doctor recommended using both this and my ProAir with spacers to ensure most of the medicine gets in the lungs instead of the mouth. It's amazing what the spacer does instead of just using the MDI by itself. I can still carry my rescue inhaler by itself when absolutely needd"

K In Indiana November 1, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had asthma since I was a baby and this medicine has helped me so much."

Luna93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Omg..what a terrible drug! I just recently asked to be changed back to Advair. My regular Dr wouldn't so I saw a colleague of his and she asked why I was put on it in the first place. I told her that I did not know why he changed me from Advair to Symbicort when I wasn't having any problems with it. She changed me to Advair. It is Monday and I just changed on Thursday and already I feel better. Asthma is still bothering me and I'm on prednisone but my mental outlook has drastically changed for the better. I felt like I was in a depressing fog that i couldn't get out of. Cant believe I was on this garbage drug for a year and a half. Coughing all the time.nothing much coming out.just constant coughing. Thank God im off this terrible drug"

for T.J. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking Symbicort for increasingly worse asthma after a chest infection and doctor wanted to try a stronger preventer. First few weeks were OK, but after that I started to develop increasing generalised anxiety. I have had mild anxiety on and off and usually situationally related but the anxiety I experienced from this was generalised and grew in intensity each day... Affecting my work and home life. My sleep has also been badly affected. A lot of difficulty getting to sleep- even sleeping tablets didn't help much. I also started to get tinnitus (ringing in ears), nasopharengitis, red dry eyes that made me look stoned, bad breath etc. The last straw for me was very doing voice changes, increasing irritability and agitation."

Evan1904 May 24, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Symbicort for 5 months - I was originally diagnosed with COPD, I was on Advair for 4 yrs and had bad side effects. I was angry and depressed. Advair made my chest feel heavy. I switched to Spiriva it did not help, took ventolin 6 x a day. I wen't on Foradil but would wake up wheezing every night and felt the worst I have ever felt. Finally had asthma testing and prescribed Symbicort 2 inhalations twice a day. I've never felt better. It has literally changed my life! I am having ringing in the ears but I'll take that over not being able to breath any day!"

Vegasbaby May 18, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've started taking it when i had asthma exacerbation last two months. Usually, when I have flare up it will go away within 2 to 3 weeks. I was worried because it's almost a month already and I haven't been feeling well. Symptoms are fatigue, chest pain/tightness, shortness of breath, rapid heart palpitations, throat irritation, phlegm, reflux? I went to the doctor and told me it was an acid reflux. I still continue to use this drug together with PPI but i don't see any improvement. I've made my research about the side effects. It may control my asthma but the side effects are much worse. I'm getting off this drug immediately."

seeeri (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has worked well for me...I have been on it for just under 3 weeks, and I have only used my rescue inhaler twice."

Crazylady51912 March 28, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff practically saved my childhood. I've had severe asthma all my life. I took my Ventese pump at lease 10 times a day. I struggled to walk even the smallest distances without my chest feeling tight. I had many visits to the hospital- 3 occasions going as far as Intensive Care. I was the prescribed Symbicort 160 and my life has changed completely. I experience no side effects whatsoever. I've been on it for about 6 years. I'm currently 19 years old."

Sabrinav03 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"To start with I am in the UK and for me is an effective Asthma controller, it works but; lets talk side effects: The first thing that occurred was the hallucinations, it was like being on LSD. My libido disappeared. I started to get angry very quickly and am now intolerant of the most stupid things. Short term memory loss has become a severe problem; My eyesight has worsened very quickly and I get eye infections easily. On top of all that, my throat has become so bad, (potential Candida) I can no longer sing in public - it would have helped had I been told to rinse after every use. Having seen the official list of side effects, for all its good this has got to go."

Andy51058 (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"OK it may be effective, However if you loose your voice thats NO good!! After [5] days that was enough for me. Just like Addviar I had to quit using so the Dr. prescribed Symbicort.?"

Gene the machine January 2, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with allergy related asthma when I was four years old. I've been on several maintenance medicine, but never thought they did much. I was hospitalized when I was 15 with asthmatic bronchitis and my doctor decided to put my on Symbicort which was finally allowed in the US at the time. Since then my asthma has turned around 180 and I haven't had any major issues. I've taken two puffs twice a day for the past 7 years and it's truly a lifesaver. It even opens my airway within 5 minutes of taking it."

Darbaby21 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 13, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the first preventative drug I have used that offers both short term relief to my athsma, I have used it whilst suffering an attack and the symptoms were alleviated quickly, and long term prevention. I can be quite slack in renewing my script and my athsma, and all its nasty side affects usually come back with a vengeance within a month. I'm on a high dose and I take four puffs daily, two times in the morning and again and night. I have never had trouble sleeping whilst using Symbicort. I can't recommend this medication enough, I have to take it for the rest of my life, the drug is so unobtrusive so the thought of this doesn't worry me."

Book Thief September 12, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symbicort worked wonders for me, but when I talked my voice would trail off. And I had to clear my throat to get my voice back. Sometimes my voice sounded scratchy as well. Doctor recommend I washed my mouth after each use. But it still didn't work. I am in sales so talking is important and had to change to something else."

Anonymous August 2, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed asthma 3 years ago when I was 50. Tried all kinds of controller medications. Switched to Symbacort after about a year and things have been great ever since. Yes I have had some minor side effects, occasional agitation and some muscle cramps but I run 5k 3 times a week without any difficulties (well I am 53, so some difficulties). I am very happy with this medication. I hope that all asthmatics find their ideal medication. Difficulties with breathing can be so scary. Work with your doctor, educate yourself on all the different meds available and find the right one for you. You can be happy and live the life you were meant to."

A.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symbicort helped breath easier in the beginning. After a few weeks it actually made it worse and on top of it gave me terrible dibilitating back pain and hoarse throat. Side effects are not worth it! I would not recommend."

Tutu111 June 25, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Please don't be afraid to try this medication. I suffer from overthinking and when I read these reviews, I was afraid of the side effects. I moved into an apartment that I did not know was blowing dust out of the air vents and was sick over a long period of time, developing bouts of wheezing. My lung function was at 70% and finally went to the doctor, who prescribed Symbicort. I put off taking this longer than I should have. I used the 160/4.5 at 2 puffs a day for about a week. I upped it to 4 puffs a day for another week. I closed it out with 2 puffs a day for a few more days. The wheezing and chest tightness are gone. I sleep better. I can get a full breath. I feel like me again. This has saved my life and I had ZERO side effects."

Guest100010001 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having to use albuterol several times a day, after nearly collapsing while fighting fire. I saved up and sought treatment. I no longer use albuterol!! Been 2 months now and insurance covers this."

mississippi ranger June 16, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor gave me a sample of Symbicort last week. Before I began taking it , I got on this site to see what experiences others have had with it. I was very concerned because many of the side effects I read about made me think twice about taking it at all. I did notice that a few people were taking 2 puffs , twice a day. So I figured maybe that might be too much. So I am going to try 1 puff , once a day , at approximately the same time every day and see how it goes. Last night was the first time I used it - and it DID work. Slept thru the night without using my inhaler at all. Feel pretty good this morning , and still have not used my rescue inhaler. So far , so good. But we'll see in a couple of weeks."

pyxiestyx June 13, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symbicort has COMPLETELY changed my life. I'm 23 and have been living with severe asthma my entire life. I was using my rescue inhaler 5+ times a day and unable to even climb the steps to my apartment without chest pain and wheezing. I'd tried other medications such as Advair and Singulair, but saw no change in symptoms. Finally, after being completely fed up with being so young, yet unable to go for a walk in the park, or stand within 10 feet of an animal, I talked to my doctor and was prescribed Symbicort. After two weeks, taking 4 puffs a day, it's almost like I don't have asthma anymore. Now, I take one puff every few weeks for maintenance. I can sleep through an entire night, my thinking is much more clear, and I couldn't be happier."

TriSarahtops19 May 17, 2015