User Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Symbicort has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 117 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Symbicort Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort

Goblin · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2020

“After reading all of your blogs, I thought that I should give you all of the symptoms that I had. First: intestinal bleeding, vaginal bleeding (with no uterus), sinus bleeding, skin bruising, skin peeling off causing extensive bleeding, torn Achilles, screaming leg cramps, loss of muscle tone, osteoporosis (loss of 3” in height). Bloating, diarrhea, constipation, eye issues, depression, anxiety, heart palpitations...I’m sure there are others that I have overlooked. Wouldn’t be my first choice or my last choice...stay away from this drug!”

NEG July 26, 2019

“I’ve had asthma my entire life. It went away while I was a teenager, but crept back into my life in my 20s. Then it got even worse when I moved to a city. None of my medicines were working (albuterol, albuterol sulfate, breo..) I developed really bad anxiety and would have panic attacks because I couldn’t breathe. My chest felt tired and hurt from always struggling to breathe. Basically my asthma led to other health issues. When I tried Symbicort my asthma symptoms decreased by 80% after the first use. It’s now been a week of continued use and I can breathe normally. I almost forgot what that felt like. Symbicort has improved my quality of life in so many ways.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

“Loved how it worked first week or two, but then developed bad chest pain, racing heart, jitteriness, muscle spasms, fatigue, dry mouth, pain urinating- being switched to another inhaler, without formetorol.”

LilNikki · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2020

“I’ve had asthma since I was a little kid. I’ve been on symbicort for at least 20 years, I’m 35 now. It has been a god send. As long as you remember to take it every morning and night it works. I hardly ever need my rescue inhaler, to be honest as long as I remember to take it I forget I even have asthma sometimes. But if I forget the symptoms come back pretty quick. Only side effects I notice is I have to clear my throat a lot, and you need to remember to wash your mouth out every time or you’ll get thrush. But that only happens once or twice and you’ll never forget again! Definitely worth a try, it’s a lifesaver for me.”

Wolf · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

“Been on symbicort approx 3 weeks. Prior med was Asthanex plus rescue inhaler. I'm stunned. I have not used my rescue inhaler since starting symbicort. I don't feel like the same person. I am active again. I feel like myself for the first time in over a year. Not experiencing negative side effects. Thankful.”

Cody · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

“Prescribed when I had a respiratory infection...great! BUT I couldn’t get off it...prior to this I might have used my ProAir inhaler twice a week, mainly when I was exposed to mold or very furry dogs. Since being on Symbicort I have lost 2 1/2 inches in height...bloating, vaginal bleeding, depression, anxiety, rash, peripheral neuropathy, Achilles’ tendon tear, muscle weakness, bruising, easy bleeding, tears of the skin (thinning of the skin). I was 69 when I was put on the drug so all of these symptoms were due to “aging”...don’t think so as I didn’t have any of these problems prior to Symbicort. The most insidious part is that it attacks your muscles, weakens them and you need your “core” muscles to breath...polio attacked muscles...they developed the iron lung to allow people to breath. After being off this drug for one week, I can feel my diaphragm again. Still working on total “back to normal””

71380 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 17, 2019

“I have been using symbicort a couple of years. I have lost my sense of smell, my nose runs and I talk like I have had a stroke I stopped using 4 days. I don't feel any worse, but I know it takes a couple of weeks to get out of your system so I will see what happens.”

Jessica B February 24, 2021

“I am 27 and have mild to moderate asthma along with GERD and a couple SVT attacks a year. My asthma has been getting worse over the past couple years. I tried symbicort for maintenance. I didn't see a difference in the first few weeks. Suddenly I had such severe reflux I could not eat, and diet adjustments did not help. I had terrible palpitations, hundreds a day. For weeks I suffered and my gastro had no idea what was happening. I tried muscle relaxants in case of a GI spasm. After many failed attempts to figure out what's wrong I stopped taking symbicort daily and everything resolved quickly. Never ever ever ever again will I touch this horrible medication.”

balladucci · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

“AWFUL! Switched from Advair cause of insurance and I have been sick for 3 months and after labs and tests etc keep getting told its probably something lingering viral. Headaches, numbness, severe fatigue, pain etc etc Finally after reading all the reviews and side effects realized this was causing my problems. I decided to come off it and pay full price for Advair. Starting to feel better and hope this horrible drug leaves my system soon and didn't cause permanent damage”

Seeker · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“I’ve had asthma for most of my life and tried many different medications. This one has been one of the worst. I tried both the turbohaler and the Rapihaler over a period of 3-4 months and found both gave me headaches, muscle aches, nausea, a loud heartbeat, broken sleep, increased anxiety, and some depression. I’ve had success with pulmicort so I imagine that it’s the formoterol that is the issue. There is also a contradiction for symbicort and some antidepressants so be careful. I won’t be using this again in the future.”

Tish · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

“In my first few days on this medication (Symibcort), I had trouble breathing especially at night, my throat seemed to tighten , so I used my ventolin inhaler more often. I woke up and could hardly open my hands or bend my knees my joints were very stiff. I felt as though I was dying on this medication. I stopped immediately!!”

Emmief · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2019

“In January of this year I caught an upper respiratory infection which caused chest tightness. I visited my allergist who put me on Symbicort 180 - 2 puffs morning and night. I used it for only 5 days and only once a day for the last 3 days. I developed larygospasm (thought I was suffocating), dysphonia, pharingitis, and dysphasia. I stopped using it two weeks ago. I just saw an ENT who diagnosed (I believe misdiagnosed) me with Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), and presbylarynx. She prescribed ZANTAC and Prilosec for LPR and is sending me to a speech therapist for my vocal issues. I had NONE of these symptoms prior to using Symbicort two weeks ago. I will see the speech therapist but refuse to take either a Proton Pump inhibitor or and H2 blocker as I do not have LPR, I have throat damage from using Symbicort. Symbicort is a dangerous, harmful drug that should be taken off the market. There is nothing more evil than big pharma.”

Jo August 29, 2020

“Have had chronic asthma since I was 12 years old and am now 43. Have tried many different meds, throughout life and nothing but my rescue inhaler really worked. Was prescribed Advair and it worked great but caused bad heart palpitations, unfortunately. Went back to using rescue inhaler only until my doc. prescribed me Symbicort almost two years ago for poorly controlled asthma and it works great! The side effects that I notice are heart palpitations but not as severe as with Advair, aching joints, eye problems like blurriness and recently had a bad eye infection but not sure of the cause? I feel very torn about stopping though because I hardly ever reach for my rescue puffer now and feel like I’m more active! Been having bad hip pain and Im wondering if it’s not causing that too? If I try to go off, I can’t breathe well so I’m trying to look at the bright side of being able to breathe.”

Tom Swank Charlotte Mi · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2013

“I have had asthma for all 28 years of my life. I used to use my Albuterol inhaler no less than four times a day for over six years. My life was miserable. After many failed maintenance meds my doctor gave me Symbicort. Its like being in a totally different life. I use my emergency inhaler so infrequently that I forget where it is all the time as I used to sleep with it in my hand...All night. Thank you Symbicort and a big old shout out to my Doc. thank you for giving me my life back.”

S8123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

“I tried to go on this twice several months apart. Both times made my asthma much worse within 2 days of starting. The second time was so bad I had to go to the ER. I experienced wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness. It was scary to feel like I couldn't suck in air and my breathing was so shallow. This is very dangerous and this drug needs more research.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2020

“I have minor asthma on one side of chest. After having covid that side of my chest really tightened up. Inflammation went down slowly week to week and was using albuterol everyday. Saw my allergy & asthma doctor for something that's not a rescue inhaler and that might speed up the healing. He put my on low dose symbicort with the basic instructions of 2 puffs at night before bed and in the AM. Well one puff was more than I could stand. Yeah it opened up my chest more and has stayed open but the side effects are awful. Side effects: slight nausea, increased heart rate, couldn't sleep and just a general ill feeling.”

Guest100010001 · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2015

“Please don't be afraid to try this medication. I suffer from overthinking and when I read these reviews, I was afraid of the side effects. I moved into an apartment that I did not know was blowing dust out of the air vents and was sick over a long period of time, developing bouts of wheezing. My lung function was at 70% and finally went to the doctor, who prescribed Symbicort. I put off taking this longer than I should have. I used the 160/4.5 at 2 puffs a day for about a week. I upped it to 4 puffs a day for another week. I closed it out with 2 puffs a day for a few more days. The wheezing and chest tightness are gone. I sleep better. I can get a full breath. I feel like me again. This has saved my life and I had ZERO side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2019

“I was diagnosed with asthma at 19 years old after I got a lung infection. After some months of using symbicort twice a day I noticed that it really helped my breathing. It does have some side effects though. Mine were definitely headaches, which I used to rarely have, dizziness and tiredness.”

Later · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2019

“I was not responding well to other Asthma meds, so my doctor put me on Symbicort, one year ago. In that year I have lost 2" in height, have a stomach ulcer, and hurt all over, but, the good news is, I am breathing again. One would wonder, though, if it's worth the side effects. In my humble opinion, yes it is. Nothing worse then not being able to breath, and wondering if the Prednisone, you just took will help. Symbicort has it's flaws, but then, all COPD, and Asthma meds have their side effects.”

andyman4 · Taken for 10 years or more December 25, 2014

“I'm a 59 year old male with asthma that has been on this medicine for 12 years. I've tried them all and this seems to work the best for me. A few concerns I have since starting this is cramps in my calves and hands. You need to take vitamin supplements i.e. calcium and magnesium. I've developed tinnitus or ringing in the ear, now constantly. Not sure if this is related. I also have sinusitis so bad that I will be having a turbinate reduction soon. You will develop a thrush or hoarse throat if you don't gargle or rinse after use. I take 2 puffs in the morning and that usually does the trick.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 2, 2019

“I was diagnosed with asthma at four years old. Spent many years in and out of the hospital due to breathing related issues. I was finally put on Symbicort at around nine or ten but was on it too long and it eventually stunted my growth, which I guess my mother didn’t know was a side effect for prolonged use in children. I was taken off of it and asthma got really bad again, then as I got older I made the dumb decision to start smoking and felt like I was an inch away from death every morning. In my late teens I got back on this medication and am now 28, smoke free and asthma attack free. It does have side effects that I’m sure I don’t notice because I’ve been on this drug so long but the ones I do notice are: sore throat, hoarseness, dizziness immediately after use, heart palpitations. Not terrible. I’d say there are worse things and it controls my asthma perfectly. Pro tip: always always rinse your mouth after use.”

Anonymous December 12, 2011

“I have used many different types of inhalers for asthma control. Symbicort seems to work well, but may cause significant personality modification (nervous, angry at small things, anxiety over small things) and muscle/bone aching that is significant, especially if any work is done , even small things.”

Jack · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 25, 2019

“I am over 50 and I've started experiencing breathing issues around 5 years ago. It was always during the cold weather or after running. I did my tests and technically I don't have an asthma, but I am on the border. Initially, the doctor prescribed Ventolin inhaler, but it didn't help at all and I even felt worse. Then ( 3 years ago) I was put on Symbicort 200 and I am taking it twice a day with two puffs and it's very helpful. What a huge difference! Also, I have to say that I haven't experienced any of these side effects mentioned in this blog. My occasional headache is no more than before , I don't have stomach problem, hearth problem, sleep problem, or any other health issues. Seriously.”

JimZ June 7, 2014

“My son has been taking Symbicort 200/6 for 4 years and it has worked well. He started feeling fatigued about a year ago and has been diagnosed in the last week with adrenal suppression/shutdown which is a noted possible reaction. If any users feel fatigued or have difficulty fighting infections I would suggest getting cortisol tested promptly.”

Linda/Australia · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2013

“Comforting to read that others have muscle cramps when using Symbicort. I particularly am now getting cramp in my calf when stretching in bed and good to know this is probably the reason. I also get bleeding soooo easily on my arms now with any minor knock. Minor side effects I think though to be able to breath again and no use of Ventolin since starting on Symbicort 200.”