User Reviews for Symbicort

Symbicort Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"I can't use this useless twisting-stupid logic system of this inhaler."

Johnny May 15, 2018

"I find Symbicort quite effective for keeping away flare-ups when I use it consistently. I used to only take it once my symptoms were already bad and it did nothing to help me then, but now in my teens I’ve remembered to take it every day for the last year or two. 1 puff in the morning and 1 in the evening. When I notice yellow symptoms I increased to 2 morning/2 evening and then the flare-up lasts about a week instead of 3 or 4. Exercise and cold are my major triggers. I don’t really notice any side effects, but it seems like they’re pretty common. That plus the cost makes me interested in something different."

Riley (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2018

"Dr prescribed me this after advair stopped being covered by my insurance . I’ve been using it for about 2-3 years now. For me the symbicort is more effective than any other control medicine I’ve used. I hardly ever have to use my rescue inhaler and I used to use my ventolin all the time . Now my ventolin actually expires before I can use it . Symbicort is amazing !! Only con is if you stop using it for a few days you really start to feel it - chest tightness, shortness of breath, etc . So it’s really important to keep up with your refills on this medication."

Fifi (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2018

"I was prescribed this to help control eosinophilic pneumonia while tapering off of Prednisone. It it can be hard to tell if you have even loaded a dose in the inhalation chamber. The powder is fairly chalky and definitely needs to be rinsed after inhaling. That said, I never noticed any side-effects from this medication but it did nothing to suppress the inflammation in my lungs. Twice, I had needed to return to Prednisone before stopping with the Symbicort all together."

Chris M Calgary (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2018

"Been using symbicort for 2 months, having previously been on respigen. Immediately the drug improved my asthma however, within 2 weeks of using the drug I started to develop frequent bouts of bad anxiety and stomach nausea and diarrhoea which resulted in gastritis! My body feels a lot weaker and I’ve developed aches and pains in my joints. I am now off the drug and have instead been using my respigen inhaler again which is working but I have to been using it quite often due to withdrawal symptoms (flu like) coming off the symbicort inhaler. Having experienced it for myself I believe this drug is dangerous and should be taken with care and caution!"

Wonwon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

"I used to take Advair but it dried out my nose severely and then my doctor gave me Symbicort and been using it for 5 years now without any side effects. It has been great, hardly ever have to use my Ventolin."

C in Indiana (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 7, 2018

"Long story short, I was prescribed this drug and ended up coughing from March through July! Serious hard coughing which caused bladder incontinence and anxiety. I WOULD NEVER TELL ANYONE TO USE THIS, EVER!!"

Symbacort is Ta Rash (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

"Symbicort. This medicine helped me breath better and I can do things daily normally but I can't smell anything. Finally I decided to quit using this symbycort by eating healthy vegetables (add more vegetables in your meal) you will be okay."

Learningnewthings December 23, 2017

"Had asthma since 7, and suffered badly. I was hospitalized multiple times at fall/winter seasons. During mid-teens was introduced to Theophylline which helped but caused shakiness for the first hours. In my 20's I asked new pulmonary doc to put me on Flovent because of a TV commercial. It worked better than any drug. Just 2 puffs in the morning. I still deal with weather changes but hardly and I simply just take an extra 2 puffs at night. So I saw Symbicort and wanted to read the reviews. No one ever mentions Flovent (Qvar) which I never had bad reactions. Try before Symbicort"

Dankles November 5, 2017

"Worked fine for awhile, been having horrible calf and foot cramps that wake me up out of a dead sleep screaming! I have had thrush about 10 tImes in the past 2yrs. Can't handle hot conditions for any length of time & I'm an Optician and it causes me blurred vision at times so I have taken my self off this medication, the side affects are NOT worth the benefits of this medication"

Adellio (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

"A reasonably good drug at controlling my moderate, seasonal asthma (I was diagnosed with asthma in my early 40s, during allergy season I have moderate asthma symptoms -really crummy lungs with wheezing - though I've never had an actual asthma attack. During non-allergy season I don't need any maintenance, most years). However, I had to stop taking the medication for two reasons: first, the drug made my heart race which was a huge problem at night- I couldn't sleep. It also made me somewhat anxious and short tempered. I thought I had generalized anxiety. Instead, it was the medication giving me the symptoms (now that I'm off the drug my heart rate is fine, and the jumpiness has disappeared). The other drawback was severe hoarseness."

Stonea August 31, 2017

"Symbicort worked for about a year. Then one day as I got to work I could not see very well from my left eye. I went to the eye doctor only to be told that my retina had fluid in it. After answering all the questions the conclusion was that the steroids in the medication was affecting my vision. Moreover, my wrist joint and back started to hurt often. My family physician recommended other drugs but I decided to stop all my medications an go on a whole food diet. I must say it has been six weeks and I don't need the inhaler, my joint pains are gone and my vision is getting back to normal. It was a blessing to have the drug but I felt that I made a pact with the devil since it almost destroy the rest of my body."

Angel T August 15, 2017

"I have only been on symbicort for a few days but I already know these side effects are not for me. I have the worst case of jitters I've ever had and dizziness. I also had a very very mild nose bleed, though I'm not sure it was associated with the medication, I just know I haven't had a nose bleed since I was a child. My regular doctor advised me to either go down to one puff twice or day or if I would rather to stop it all together since I have my first Pulmo appointment next week. I have chosen to stop the drug, I can't deal with these side effects. I can say my breathing did improve but for now I'll rely on my albuterol. Really wish I wasn't having such scary effects! Glad it works for most of you!"

Jamiepen July 26, 2017

"Mine is a seasonal asthma and until Symbicort I ended up in the ER several times a year (spring, summer, fall). That's when I take 2 puffs X 2 times a day and have yet to have an attack. Winter, only 1 puff every other day. Sure, I have occasional wheezing, but that's why I have Ventolin. Looking back (10 plus years), I have to tell you - I'm really happy not to have to use Prednisone, possibly ever again."

12stephanie34 May 29, 2017

"I'm kinda surprised at some of the negative reviews too. I've had asthma all my life and this miracle drug put asthma in its place (not active). I get asthma from allergies and cardio exercises. Was given a sample by a doctor I used to work for because I kept using my ProAir every 30min throughout the day. After that sample of Symbicort, my life changed forever. I don't know what it is about this drug, but it only takes 2 puffs and BAM, my asthma isn't a problem until next year. Can't live without it. Its amazing stuff right here. I live by this drug (unfortunately) but fortunate that it gives me freedom from asthma for almost a full year. Problem free"

Misael J Jr. May 12, 2017

"Symbicort did nothing for my adult-onset asthma. In fact, I get the sense that nothing is coming out of my turboinhaler. I am going to ask my doctor to switch me to something else. I am very doubtful about the turboinhaler delivery method. What was wrong with conventional inhalers? Nothing, I suspect. The turboinhaler is just a gimmick that should be recalled."

Charles999 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

"Symbicort is one of the best medication that works for asthma."

Kanwalpreet February 8, 2017

"I have been on Symbicort inhaler for a couple of years for Asthma which I seem to have picked up since our last move to Vernon BC. and during this time have completely lost my taste buds. I am a retired professional chef and tasting food is important to me. I can hardly taste any salt seasonings etc . I can not smell things like peppermint, curry paprika etc. Right now I am just cooking from experience and I do not like it one bit."

swissboy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

"I am genuinely surprised at how many people have had bad experiences on this drug! It's interesting since I've had an amazing time with symbicort and it's made my life a lot easier. I had mostly allergy and exercised enduced asthma and growing up only occasionally needed my blue puffer. It was when I started to get nocturnal asthma and a hard time breathing in the winter that my really frequent use of the rescue inhaler was not a good thing. Symbicort has made everything a lot easier. I finally sleep the entire night without waking up thinking I'm having an attack. Only downside is when my asthma is very persistent, 1 puff doesn't last the entire 12 hours for me but I can always up my dosage with my doctor if needed."

MUDanielle December 9, 2016

"Given Symbicort inhaler after Urgent care sent me to hospital for severe asthma. Symbicort took forever (2 1/2 weeks) to help, and then, only slightly. Back started aching 3rd day I was on it. Just figured, at first, it was from trying to sleep in hospital bed. Head ached, too, though. Joints started aching soon after. Two weeks later, Symbicort seemed to help enough to maybe use the ProAir, or nebulizer, a couple times less during the day. But, still needing it, at times. Back/joints/ headache continued after all other meds from hospital discharge finished. Plus, short of breath a lot, with achiness in upper chest a week or so ago. Stopped Symbicort Sunday night. Now Wednesday, and already feeling better."

Gramma W (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

"Was having to use my ProAir all the time. I did my pulmonary function test and came back with a combination of Asthma with mild COPD. I knew I was having difficulty breathing and boy did this help. I use a spacer with it and it really helps to keep it from hitting my tongue or areas of my mouth. It really helps it to get into my lungs. I do wash my mouth out afterwards to. I was using my ProAir without a spacer until my pulmonary function test until my pulmonary doctor recommended using both this and my ProAir with spacers to ensure most of the medicine gets in the lungs instead of the mouth. It's amazing what the spacer does instead of just using the MDI by itself. I can still carry my rescue inhaler by itself when absolutely needd"

K In Indiana November 1, 2016

"I have had asthma since I was a baby and this medicine has helped me so much."

Luna93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2016

"Omg..what a terrible drug! I just recently asked to be changed back to Advair. My regular Dr wouldn't so I saw a colleague of his and she asked why I was put on it in the first place. I told her that I did not know why he changed me from Advair to Symbicort when I wasn't having any problems with it. She changed me to Advair. It is Monday and I just changed on Thursday and already I feel better. Asthma is still bothering me and I'm on prednisone but my mental outlook has drastically changed for the better. I felt like I was in a depressing fog that i couldn't get out of. Cant believe I was on this garbage drug for a year and a half. Coughing all the time.nothing much coming out.just constant coughing. Thank God im off this terrible drug"

for T.J. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

"Started taking Symbicort for increasingly worse asthma after a chest infection and doctor wanted to try a stronger preventer. First few weeks were OK, but after that I started to develop increasing generalised anxiety. I have had mild anxiety on and off and usually situationally related but the anxiety I experienced from this was generalised and grew in intensity each day... Affecting my work and home life. My sleep has also been badly affected. A lot of difficulty getting to sleep- even sleeping tablets didn't help much. I also started to get tinnitus (ringing in ears), nasopharengitis, red dry eyes that made me look stoned, bad breath etc. The last straw for me was very doing voice changes, increasing irritability and agitation."

Evan1904 May 24, 2016

"I've been on Symbicort for 5 months - I was originally diagnosed with COPD, I was on Advair for 4 yrs and had bad side effects. I was angry and depressed. Advair made my chest feel heavy. I switched to Spiriva it did not help, took ventolin 6 x a day. I wen't on Foradil but would wake up wheezing every night and felt the worst I have ever felt. Finally had asthma testing and prescribed Symbicort 2 inhalations twice a day. I've never felt better. It has literally changed my life! I am having ringing in the ears but I'll take that over not being able to breath any day!"

Vegasbaby May 18, 2016