User Reviews for Symbicort

Learn more about Symbicort.

Symbicort Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Symbicort to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"I have had asthma since I was a baby and this medicine has helped me so much."

Luna93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2016

"Omg..what a terrible drug! I just recently asked to be changed back to Advair. My regular Dr wouldn't so I saw a colleague of his and she asked why I was put on it in the first place. I told her that I did not know why he changed me from Advair to Symbicort when I wasn't having any problems with it. She changed me to Advair. It is Monday and I just changed on Thursday and already I feel better. Asthma is still bothering me and I'm on prednisone but my mental outlook has drastically changed for the better. I felt like I was in a depressing fog that i couldn't get out of. Cant believe I was on this garbage drug for a year and a half. Coughing all the time.nothing much coming out.just constant coughing. Thank God im off this terrible drug"

for T.J. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

"Started taking Symbicort for increasingly worse asthma after a chest infection and doctor wanted to try a stronger preventer. First few weeks were OK, but after that I started to develop increasing generalised anxiety. I have had mild anxiety on and off and usually situationally related but the anxiety I experienced from this was generalised and grew in intensity each day... Affecting my work and home life. My sleep has also been badly affected. A lot of difficulty getting to sleep- even sleeping tablets didn't help much. I also started to get tinnitus (ringing in ears), nasopharengitis, red dry eyes that made me look stoned, bad breath etc. The last straw for me was very doing voice changes, increasing irritability and agitation."

Evan1904 May 24, 2016

"I've been on Symbicort for 5 months - I was originally diagnosed with COPD, I was on Advair for 4 yrs and had bad side effects. I was angry and depressed. Advair made my chest feel heavy. I switched to Spiriva it did not help, took ventolin 6 x a day. I wen't on Foradil but would wake up wheezing every night and felt the worst I have ever felt. Finally had asthma testing and prescribed Symbicort 2 inhalations twice a day. I've never felt better. It has literally changed my life! I am having ringing in the ears but I'll take that over not being able to breath any day!"

Vegasbaby May 18, 2016

"I've started taking it when i had asthma exacerbation last two months. Usually, when I have flare up it will go away within 2 to 3 weeks. I was worried because it's almost a month already and I haven't been feeling well. Symptoms are fatigue, chest pain/tightness, shortness of breath, rapid heart palpitations, throat irritation, phlegm, reflux? I went to the doctor and told me it was an acid reflux. I still continue to use this drug together with PPI but i don't see any improvement. I've made my research about the side effects. It may control my asthma but the side effects are much worse. I'm getting off this drug immediately."

seeeri (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"It has worked well for me...I have been on it for just under 3 weeks, and I have only used my rescue inhaler twice."

Crazylady51912 March 28, 2016

"This stuff practically saved my childhood. I've had severe asthma all my life. I took my Ventese pump at lease 10 times a day. I struggled to walk even the smallest distances without my chest feeling tight. I had many visits to the hospital- 3 occasions going as far as Intensive Care. I was the prescribed Symbicort 160 and my life has changed completely. I experience no side effects whatsoever. I've been on it for about 6 years. I'm currently 19 years old."

Sabrinav03 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"To start with I am in the UK and for me is an effective Asthma controller, it works but; lets talk side effects: The first thing that occurred was the hallucinations, it was like being on LSD. My libido disappeared. I started to get angry very quickly and am now intolerant of the most stupid things. Short term memory loss has become a severe problem; My eyesight has worsened very quickly and I get eye infections easily. On top of all that, my throat has become so bad, (potential Candida) I can no longer sing in public - it would have helped had I been told to rinse after every use. Having seen the official list of side effects, for all its good this has got to go."

Andy51058 (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016

"OK it may be effective, However if you loose your voice thats NO good!! After [5] days that was enough for me. Just like Addviar I had to quit using so the Dr. prescribed Symbicort.?"

Gene the machine January 2, 2016

"I was diagnosed with allergy related asthma when I was four years old. I've been on several maintenance medicine, but never thought they did much. I was hospitalized when I was 15 with asthmatic bronchitis and my doctor decided to put my on Symbicort which was finally allowed in the US at the time. Since then my asthma has turned around 180 and I haven't had any major issues. I've taken two puffs twice a day for the past 7 years and it's truly a lifesaver. It even opens my airway within 5 minutes of taking it."

Darbaby21 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 13, 2015

"This is the first preventative drug I have used that offers both short term relief to my athsma, I have used it whilst suffering an attack and the symptoms were alleviated quickly, and long term prevention. I can be quite slack in renewing my script and my athsma, and all its nasty side affects usually come back with a vengeance within a month. I'm on a high dose and I take four puffs daily, two times in the morning and again and night. I have never had trouble sleeping whilst using Symbicort. I can't recommend this medication enough, I have to take it for the rest of my life, the drug is so unobtrusive so the thought of this doesn't worry me."

Book Thief September 12, 2015

"Symbicort worked wonders for me, but when I talked my voice would trail off. And I had to clear my throat to get my voice back. Sometimes my voice sounded scratchy as well. Doctor recommend I washed my mouth after each use. But it still didn't work. I am in sales so talking is important and had to change to something else."

Anonymous August 2, 2015

"Developed asthma 3 years ago when I was 50. Tried all kinds of controller medications. Switched to Symbacort after about a year and things have been great ever since. Yes I have had some minor side effects, occasional agitation and some muscle cramps but I run 5k 3 times a week without any difficulties (well I am 53, so some difficulties). I am very happy with this medication. I hope that all asthmatics find their ideal medication. Difficulties with breathing can be so scary. Work with your doctor, educate yourself on all the different meds available and find the right one for you. You can be happy and live the life you were meant to."

A.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

"Symbicort helped breath easier in the beginning. After a few weeks it actually made it worse and on top of it gave me terrible dibilitating back pain and hoarse throat. Side effects are not worth it! I would not recommend."

Tutu111 June 25, 2015

"Please don't be afraid to try this medication. I suffer from overthinking and when I read these reviews, I was afraid of the side effects. I moved into an apartment that I did not know was blowing dust out of the air vents and was sick over a long period of time, developing bouts of wheezing. My lung function was at 70% and finally went to the doctor, who prescribed Symbicort. I put off taking this longer than I should have. I used the 160/4.5 at 2 puffs a day for about a week. I upped it to 4 puffs a day for another week. I closed it out with 2 puffs a day for a few more days. The wheezing and chest tightness are gone. I sleep better. I can get a full breath. I feel like me again. This has saved my life and I had ZERO side effects."

Guest100010001 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

"I was having to use albuterol several times a day, after nearly collapsing while fighting fire. I saved up and sought treatment. I no longer use albuterol!! Been 2 months now and insurance covers this."

mississippi ranger June 16, 2015

"My doctor gave me a sample of Symbicort last week. Before I began taking it , I got on this site to see what experiences others have had with it. I was very concerned because many of the side effects I read about made me think twice about taking it at all. I did notice that a few people were taking 2 puffs , twice a day. So I figured maybe that might be too much. So I am going to try 1 puff , once a day , at approximately the same time every day and see how it goes. Last night was the first time I used it - and it DID work. Slept thru the night without using my inhaler at all. Feel pretty good this morning , and still have not used my rescue inhaler. So far , so good. But we'll see in a couple of weeks."

pyxiestyx June 13, 2015

"Symbicort has COMPLETELY changed my life. I'm 23 and have been living with severe asthma my entire life. I was using my rescue inhaler 5+ times a day and unable to even climb the steps to my apartment without chest pain and wheezing. I'd tried other medications such as Advair and Singulair, but saw no change in symptoms. Finally, after being completely fed up with being so young, yet unable to go for a walk in the park, or stand within 10 feet of an animal, I talked to my doctor and was prescribed Symbicort. After two weeks, taking 4 puffs a day, it's almost like I don't have asthma anymore. Now, I take one puff every few weeks for maintenance. I can sleep through an entire night, my thinking is much more clear, and I couldn't be happier."

TriSarahtops19 May 17, 2015

"I was perfectly controlled on Seratide but my medical practitioner advised me to change. As far as I can tell, Symbicort has no effect at all. I don't get relief from the reliever part and I wake up coughing and spluttering. I still need to use ventolin. If I didn't know better, I would say it was a placebo."

Whywhywhywhy May 9, 2015

"I was able to breathe finally. I had always been out of breath. All day. When I started taking Symbicort, I could breathe. And I would've been able to clean, and play with my kids, go for a walk, excercise. However, I stopped taking it. The side effects were horrible. I was angry, on edge. Worst constant headache ever! It wasn't fair to my family. Waiting to find an alternative."

LeeLee1111 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

"Severe cough at night. Doctor diagnosed asthma. Symbicort 80/4.5 helped with cough but side effects were awful. Mood, agitation and anger from the steroid were intolerable. "

the Boon January 10, 2015

"I'm a 59 year old male with asthma that has been on this medicine for 12 years. I've tried them all and this seems to work the best for me. A few concerns I have since starting this is cramps in my calves and hands. You need to take vitamin supplements i.e. calcium and magnesium. I've developed tinnitus or ringing in the ear, now constantly. Not sure if this is related. I also have sinusitis so bad that I will be having a turbinate reduction soon. You will develop a thrush or hoarse throat if you don't gargle or rinse after use. I take 2 puffs in the morning and that usually does the trick."

andyman4 (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2014

"I went to the Dr. on Wednesday for severe asthma and he put me on Symbicort along with a 10 day dose of Prednisone. I can tell you that Thursday I used my Ventolin inhaler only once where I had been using the Ventolin 10-12 times a day. I woke up Friday morning not wheezing. This is the first time I can ever remember not wheezing and short of breath in the morning. After 2 puffs of Symbicort Friday morning, I am clear as a bell this afternoon. This stuff is amazing and I feel read to start running again."

Golferguy09 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2014

"Suffering asthma for more than 60 years."

cafecleite (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2014

"My son has been taking Symbicort 200/6 for 4 years and it has worked well. He started feeling fatigued about a year ago and has been diagnosed in the last week with adrenal suppression/shutdown which is a noted possible reaction. If any users feel fatigued or have difficulty fighting infections I would suggest getting cortisol tested promptly."

JimZ June 7, 2014