User Reviews for Spiriva

Learn more about Spiriva.

COPD, Maintenance 62 reviews 46 medications

Summary of Spiriva reviews 62 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Spiriva

For COPD, Maintenance "I've recently stopped using Spiriva because I was worried about the side effects. The final deciding factor was my optometrist telling me that I had high eye pressure (possibly a precursor to glaucoma). I have also had red eyes ever since being on it. Other symptoms since being on it are trouble urinating with force (not able to pee fast when in a hurry), chest pains daily, muscle pains in front lower legs, constipation and losing my voice or hoarseness. I value my sight above all else so I will make do with salbutamol instead. Since quitting it two weeks ago my eye pressure is now normal again, my eyes are not red, the chest pains are gone, the hoarseness gone, and am gradually getting my bladder muscle control back."

River Jane (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2017

For COPD, Maintenance "Took this for about 4 years and had throat swelling, feeling like something wrapped around my neck, swallowing issues and hoarseness. Blamed it on an operation to remove a cyst in my neck but the symptoms were not from that procedure according to my ENT. I stopped using it for two years and as my COPD worsened my doc put me back on it. Bang those symptoms came right back. I am now on Tudorza and doing better without those side effects."

Lpit180 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For COPD, Maintenance "Not so much of a comment about the effectiveness of Spiriva, but more about the company's "QUALITY CONTROL" which sucks! I've had a ongoing discussion with Boehringer Ingelheim, the company that makes Spiriva for the last year after receiving "blank capsules" in their packages. At a cost of over $12.00 (in my case) per capsule, this is unacceptable. I honestly expected that this was a isolated incident at first and reported it to the company (and pharmacy) immediately, and again, and again, and again! At first they stated it was a "isolated incident", then it was a "equipment malfunction". Seems like they have a endless supply of excuses, rather than fixing the problem!"

BG in so ca December 15, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "If a doseage has been missed , I can feel the difference within twelve to eighteen hours. I work a physical day and if not for Spiriva and my Salbutamol inhaler , I wouldn't last a few hours."

Gary1821 December 11, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "I have been using Spiriva since 2009. It was okay for the first 4 years. Lung function improved, but not great. My bladder is suffering terribly, so I gave up Spiriva last week. The bladder side effects are worse to me than the lung function. Have suffered several bouts of UTI's while being on Spiriva as well. Also, sometimes the capsules are empty. I reported this to the FDA twice, with no results. Spiriva is expensive, so to have 1-5 capsules per box empty, is very costly. Now, a week Spiriva free, my bladder function has improved, but my breathing is becoming more labored. I will try my albuterol inhaler, but will use it sparingly as well because it causes bladder problems too."

Promo65 December 7, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "While using this med. I opened the top turned it sprayed while inhaling and it would not stop spraying almost choking me and taking my breath away I dropped it on the table and it continued spraying for about a minute. I called the company and after being transferred and 15 mins. later they were of no help whatsoever. I told the last girl I spoke their product sucks, it is obvious these people don't care what happens to anyone using their product. I will also be contacting FDA."

marr November 3, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "A prev smoker,I started on Advair 500 twice daily in 2010 after almost dying from being unable to breathe at all. After no serious improvement & being unable to hardly walk, I went on spiriva in April this year..Almost immed results..a HOME RUN!!! I now can walk at fairly good pace & for reasonable distance.I also continue on with Advair 500 morning/night.. Finally, I am living almost normal life...and NO EFFECTS!!"

42menssize September 24, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "I have taken Spiriva, more so in hot humid weather than in cooler weather, for 2 years and after 1 year did notice substantial difference in halos around lights especially driving at night, so much so, that I stopped driving at night. Last eye exam in March of this year indicates I have cataracts. I looked at full Spiriva Pharmaceutical description and in lab tests, this drug did cause cataracts in dogs. So, now I am up for cataract surgery. What does the FDA Protect?"

PG226 September 1, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "Given me a better quality of life"

I love lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "threw new applicator away by mistake you will not send me a new one I had to wait 30 days before my insurance would let me get a new one so I'm out my money all I have is the cartridge with no way to use it I THINK YOUR ENGINEERS SUCK WHE FLO VENT IS SO SIMPLETO USE WH"

P O ED May 30, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "just diagnosed with COPD a few weeks ago. My GP put me on Spiriva Respimat Inhaler. In a few days I broke out with skin rash on my back, chest, upper arms.lower legs, etc. Immediately discontinued the Spiriva and was put on a different drug. No complications from the new drugs in the past 2 or 3 weeks so far."

zszszs May 24, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "very helpful for me. Some anxiety the first couple of months but none now. I havent breathed this well in years and have the results to prove it."

severe copd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "This is my second day with this drug and I can already see improvement in the quality of my life. First thing every morning out of bed, I had to go to the nebulizer in order to breathe after removing CPAP mask. Today I didn't have to use it at all. I haven't noticed any side effects and don't expect any."

Wayne1600 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "I was prescribed this because of asthma, and I have difficulty taking other inhalers because of side effects. I noticed within a few minutes, that my throat started to burn after using this med. IT seems to irritate my throat. I also have chest pain in my left breast, and difficulty sleeping. Because of these side effects, I am going to stop using it. I am beginning to suspect inhalers aren't going to work for me."

SereneNIght (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"Man, my vision started getting blurry AND my voice got hoarse while using this. I teach, and need clear vision and a clear voice so I quit this stuff. I hated it."

ABlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "I have been on Spiriva Respimat for about a year now for my COPD and it is still working very well! I do have to take my rescue inhaler more than I did when I first began the drug but I am still receiving great benefit from this medication and am so grateful it continues to improve my quality of life."

Mamasita1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "Was prescribed Spiriva dry powder capsules in May of 2015, this was during a bout of atypical pneumonia which I had weeks before being prescribed Sprivia, and lingered for weeks after. As a result of the illness I suffered pulmonary exacerbation which brought about COPD symptoms to the point that now 8 months later I have to use Oxygen [2.LPM] 24/7. It has been taxing and shocking but the Spiriva along with Symicort [80/4.5] does help, I measure my O2 Blood saturation several times daily, I have experimented with halting one and both medications over small periods of times and have realized that I can do without the Symicort with not much variation in the O2 Saturation, bit when the Spiriva is halted for 48 hours the O2 Saturation drops"

Mr. Hoffman January 8, 2016

For COPD, Maintenance "I took this for 2 years and got a light wallet and lung cancer."

godbear December 27, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Taking it now for almost a year can see very little benefit. Still get chest infections ,shortage of breath etc"

Brideog123 October 8, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Was prescribed Spiriva when ill with bronchitis (never prescribed a maintenance inhaler although have emphysema for 2 years-only used rescue inhaler). After 45 days of use experienced moderate to extreme coughing that did not produce mucus, dry mouth, cloudy urine, wheezing as though lungs were filled with cotton, heartburn, flushing, chills, shortness of breath. Still had to use rescue inhaler 3-4 times per day. Stopped use, all symptoms ceased. Will ask pulmonologist for another brand. Everyone's tolerance is different."

64 yr old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Almost drowned sitting up. Diagnosed with COPD. Leg cramps and back pain. Taking Spiriva and Symbicort Will try potassium pills to see if tired legs go away. Been taking Spiriva since last October 28. Im breathing ok. Not normal but ok. Haven't used rescue inhaler yet. I give myself oxygen therapy at night and a few blasts in the am. Breathing in thru nose and out with pursed lips to help . If you care about someone who smokes tell them how bad it is. It really sucks. It beats you up."

Quit Smoking Joe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Recently, I went to the emergency room with a blood pressure of 212 - 231 over 100 and pulse 68. Nothing was wrong physiologically, the ER doctor suggested reviewing my many medications with my primary doctor and cardiologist. I tend to be proactive and while doing this I dialed back my meds to the bare minimum which left blood pressure medication, aspirin and Asthma inhaler, thus eliminating my Spiriva despite not having any side effects. Today after a couple of days, off of Spiriva, I had real difficulty breathing and shall breathing, so much so that I cut my activities short to get home and rest. I reviewed the Spiriva side effects and applicable to me would be increased heart rate, and in my case a benefit. Can't live without Spiriva"

Don R (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Spiriva Respimat is amazing. It has made a huge quality of life difference for me. I haven't been able to breathe this well for years."

Mamasita1 March 23, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "I have been taking 18MCG caps evey morning for almost sixteen (16!) years. It, alondgwith 4 inhalations of 160/4.5 Symbicort, 2 w/the S. in morning, two in evening ,have helped manage my mid-level empysema all that time. Emphysema can and does kill, of course; and it does really not improve much if at all; quite the contrary. But my physicians and my personal discipline (rare, usually!) have helped me do rather nicely into my 86th year. (Cost depends on where I am in MedC Part D. $45/mo until donut hole, then closer to $250/mo."

Falco (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "The first few years, I didn't puff Spiriva daily, and I didn't think it worked. As my COPD got worse I used it daily. It took about 1 month to work, but it really helps."

Thor283 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2015