User Reviews for Spiriva

Learn more about Spiriva.

Spiriva Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of COPD, Maintenance.

Reviews for Spiriva to treat COPD, Maintenance

"Given me a better quality of life"

I love lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"threw new applicator away by mistake you will not send me a new one I had to wait 30 days before my insurance would let me get a new one so I'm out my money all I have is the cartridge with no way to use it I THINK YOUR ENGINEERS SUCK WHE FLO VENT IS SO SIMPLETO USE WH"

P O ED May 30, 2016

"just diagnosed with COPD a few weeks ago. My GP put me on Spiriva Respimat Inhaler. In a few days I broke out with skin rash on my back, chest, upper arms.lower legs, etc. Immediately discontinued the Spiriva and was put on a different drug. No complications from the new drugs in the past 2 or 3 weeks so far."

zszszs May 24, 2016

"very helpful for me. Some anxiety the first couple of months but none now. I havent breathed this well in years and have the results to prove it."

severe copd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2016

"This is my second day with this drug and I can already see improvement in the quality of my life. First thing every morning out of bed, I had to go to the nebulizer in order to breathe after removing CPAP mask. Today I didn't have to use it at all. I haven't noticed any side effects and don't expect any."

Wayne1600 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

"I was prescribed this because of asthma, and I have difficulty taking other inhalers because of side effects. I noticed within a few minutes, that my throat started to burn after using this med. IT seems to irritate my throat. I also have chest pain in my left breast, and difficulty sleeping. Because of these side effects, I am going to stop using it. I am beginning to suspect inhalers aren't going to work for me."

SereneNIght (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I have been on Spiriva Respimat for about a year now for my COPD and it is still working very well! I do have to take my rescue inhaler more than I did when I first began the drug but I am still receiving great benefit from this medication and am so grateful it continues to improve my quality of life."

Mamasita1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2016

"Was prescribed Spiriva dry powder capsules in May of 2015, this was during a bout of atypical pneumonia which I had weeks before being prescribed Sprivia, and lingered for weeks after. As a result of the illness I suffered pulmonary exacerbation which brought about COPD symptoms to the point that now 8 months later I have to use Oxygen [2.LPM] 24/7. It has been taxing and shocking but the Spiriva along with Symicort [80/4.5] does help, I measure my O2 Blood saturation several times daily, I have experimented with halting one and both medications over small periods of times and have realized that I can do without the Symicort with not much variation in the O2 Saturation, bit when the Spiriva is halted for 48 hours the O2 Saturation drops"

Mr. Hoffman January 8, 2016

"I took this for 2 years and got a light wallet and lung cancer."

godbear December 27, 2015

"Taking it now for almost a year can see very little benefit. Still get chest infections ,shortage of breath etc"

Brideog123 October 8, 2015

"Was prescribed Spiriva when ill with bronchitis (never prescribed a maintenance inhaler although have emphysema for 2 years-only used rescue inhaler). After 45 days of use experienced moderate to extreme coughing that did not produce mucus, dry mouth, cloudy urine, wheezing as though lungs were filled with cotton, heartburn, flushing, chills, shortness of breath. Still had to use rescue inhaler 3-4 times per day. Stopped use, all symptoms ceased. Will ask pulmonologist for another brand. Everyone's tolerance is different."

64 yr old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"Almost drowned sitting up. Diagnosed with COPD. Leg cramps and back pain. Taking Spiriva and Symbicort Will try potassium pills to see if tired legs go away. Been taking Spiriva since last October 28. Im breathing ok. Not normal but ok. Haven't used rescue inhaler yet. I give myself oxygen therapy at night and a few blasts in the am. Breathing in thru nose and out with pursed lips to help . If you care about someone who smokes tell them how bad it is. It really sucks. It beats you up."

Quit Smoking Joe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2015

"Recently, I went to the emergency room with a blood pressure of 212 - 231 over 100 and pulse 68. Nothing was wrong physiologically, the ER doctor suggested reviewing my many medications with my primary doctor and cardiologist. I tend to be proactive and while doing this I dialed back my meds to the bare minimum which left blood pressure medication, aspirin and Asthma inhaler, thus eliminating my Spiriva despite not having any side effects. Today after a couple of days, off of Spiriva, I had real difficulty breathing and shall breathing, so much so that I cut my activities short to get home and rest. I reviewed the Spiriva side effects and applicable to me would be increased heart rate, and in my case a benefit. Can't live without Spiriva"

Don R (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2015

"Spiriva Respimat is amazing. It has made a huge quality of life difference for me. I haven't been able to breathe this well for years."

Mamasita1 March 23, 2015

"I have been taking 18MCG caps evey morning for almost sixteen (16!) years. It, alondgwith 4 inhalations of 160/4.5 Symbicort, 2 w/the S. in morning, two in evening ,have helped manage my mid-level empysema all that time. Emphysema can and does kill, of course; and it does really not improve much if at all; quite the contrary. But my physicians and my personal discipline (rare, usually!) have helped me do rather nicely into my 86th year. (Cost depends on where I am in MedC Part D. $45/mo until donut hole, then closer to $250/mo."

Falco (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015

"The first few years, I didn't puff Spiriva daily, and I didn't think it worked. As my COPD got worse I used it daily. It took about 1 month to work, but it really helps."

Thor283 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2015

"Was diagnosed with COPD Emphysema several years ago.Have been using Spiriva since but still cannot say that I notice any benefit. My GP's, chest nurses, and consultants (9 different ones over the years) maintain that I am benefitting from using it. Do suffer from leg cramps, so will be trying Potassium supplements to see if they help."

DavidMB November 10, 2014

"Works well."

M B M (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2014

"My COPD was not getting any easier to live with. I stopped taking one medicine because it seemed to just make things worse. The Dr was not very helpful. But she did say well you can try Spiriva. I waited almost a week to try it. But when I had some time off from work, I decided it was time to give it a shot. I felt better quickly, but only for a few hours. I continued using it, and I must say that after 3 weeks, I am feeling much better. I got up this morning and did not even reach for the Albuterol. I am hopeful now and I do recommend this medication. Side effects have been minor. Dry mouth is the only thing I can link to the medicine. I have started taking Potassium supplements again to overcome the leg cramps which may be a side effect."

sceptic of everything (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2014

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started using Spiriva a month ago. The breathing was easier but after one month of taking it every morning I started having chest pains starting about 10 minutes after the treatment and lasting for an hour or so. Then I began having crushing tightness in my chest. I have completely quit the Spiriva."

Steve2 January 4, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For the last four years I have been taking Spiriva before bed. Recently I switched to morning. What a difference! My daytime breathing has really improved. "

darstark (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2013

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Spiriva for 6 months now with only dry mouth as an issue, so I keep hard candy around to suck on, I was at the point where I could not walk up a few steps without losing my breath, but now I can breath again!"

Gumby cat March 31, 2013

"Spiriva works well for me. I have early stage Emphysema. No more breathlessness. I take it first thing in the morning. Rarely use my Ventolin inhaler now and other than an itchy nose, no side effects. I am a pensioner and the government pays almost all of the cost."

Jenny IR March 5, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Spiriva about a year ago. At first it was easier breathing with it. I developed, over time, issues. Ocular Migraines, severe dry mouth, muscle pain, coughing that I didn't put together with the Spiriva. A few weeks ago I began having badly blurred vision and did notice that it was happening about an hour after using Spiriva. I looked up the side effects online and found that this was a bad side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and called my doctor. He simply told me to stop using it, but he did not tell me that some people get severe withdrawal symptoms. After three days I had severe panic/anxiety attacks, lighheadedness and felt like I was losing my mind. I was taking Xanax twice a day. All is gone now."

cat5400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2013

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 48 and have the capacity of an 81 year old woman due to years of smoking. I have smoked very few cigarettes since last week when I found out how bad my lungs are and thanks to hardly smoking and the Spiriva I am doing MUCH better! Only side effect is a REALLY itchy nose/dry sinuses/stuffy (really stuffy) nose...but it's much better to be able to take a deep breath and function again! Side effects are nothing compared to gasping for air! Love Spiriva!"

CarolinaRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next