User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid, Bio-Throid

Thyroid desiccated has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 521 ratings on Drugs.com. 46% of those users who reviewed Thyroid desiccated reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Underactive Thyroid
6.4
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 5.5 521 reviews

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Grandmother Nanny May 27, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I had benign thyroid nodules, 2 docs thought I had thyroid cancer so I had a partial thyroidectomy. No doc did a biopsy, shame. Endo shamed me for asking for Armour. I suffered badly on synthyroid and all other synthetic meds. Finally convinced my PCP to try me on Armour 120, it was a miracle for me , I got well. I continued on Armour 120mgs for 28+ years, same dose, no problems. Over the last approx 2 years the strength of Armour 120 mgs changed, the cost skyrocketed and it is not covered by insurance. I gained weight, had hair loss & puffiness on my old perfect dose Armour 120. Gyn doc prescribed Armour 180. I am much better, brain fog gone. Hair loss gone. When thyroid dose is correct, you will feel well again! The endo doc told me Armour thyroid was made from sick pigs and not good for humans. If that were true, why do heart specialist use pig parts for heart surgery and other surgeries.”

akaltner · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Last week my pharmacy gave me NP thyroid instead of regularly prescribed Armour thyroid. At first I noticed the strong smell and taste of mildew/cat wee. I checked the label on my prescription and noticed it wasn’t Armour. A week into taking this I noticed my body aching and heart palpitations. Then my heart started pounding and I got all jittery. My hands and knees were shaking and I felt weak with a headache and brain fog. I called my pharmacist and after talking to them they exchanged that medication for my regular Armour. After looking into this medication I found out it has been recalled multiple times and my symptoms were identical to other multiple peoples reviews. Please do not take this medicine. It is terrible.”

Privetteal · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I feel lifeless - that is the only way to describe how I feel. I've been taking this medication, a low dose of 30mg, for 6-7 weeks. I feel way worse than I did before I started it. I thought something was seriously wrong until I thankfully found this forum. I have never been so exhausted and fatigued in my life. Nausea, indigestion, constipation, puffy eyelids, my mood is off.... the list goes on. This drug should not be on the market. Don't take it!!!”

Babs · Taken for 10 years or more May 4, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I took Armour Thyroid all my life from the time my thyroid problems were diagnosed as a toddler, over 60 years, up until the medication’s formulation underwent a change some years back. I always did great on Armour before that. It is not the same med and no longer worked for me, so I had to change to Nature-Throid, until that medication was also recalled. Now I’m having the same issues with NP Thyroid. Pretty soon, I suspect the less expensive natural thyroid medication will no longer be available. Then what will people who do not tolerate synthetics do? Last time I went to an endocrinologist, he handed me samples of Tirosint, which has a lot of side-effects and is obscenely expensive. It’s a rotten shame that the FDA is not as adept in ensuring effective, affordable medicine for people with hypothyrodism as they are in quickly producing COVID-19 vaccines.”

Littleblondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I started taking Armour again after trying Nature thyroid and NP. I had previously taken Armour for many years but the price went up so I asked my Endo to find a cheaper alternative. But after being on both Nature (which gave me chest pains) and NP ( smelled like cat urine and tasted bad). I decided I had to go back on Armour. Armour is not the same as it was years ago. I used to do so well on it. Now I am anxious, cold, not sleeping well, itchy, heart palpitations, vision problems. I know something has changed with the formula. I don't know what to take. Synthroid is not an option. Why did they change Armour when it was fine the way it was and also raised the price??”

Amarie · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “DO NOT TAKE THIS I was on Nature Throid with no problems for about a year before being switched to this garbage due to recall. I took NP thyroid for about a week and ended up in the back of an ambulance this morning because my husband thought I was having a heart attack. I am a 30 year old female athlete with no underlying health conditions other than an "underactive thyroid". The past week on it has been a blur. Brain fog, irritability, heart palpitations, achy body and joints, breathlessness, migraines, nausea, dizziness, EXTREME fatigue and anxiety. I don't know what's in this stuff but it NEEDS to be pulled. There is something VERY wrong with NP thyroid. Stay FAR away from this stuff.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 9, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I am struggling with new formulation of Armour Thyroid. It was always the best medication for me. Now experiencing sleeplessness, foggy brain and vision changes. If Allergan does not figure this out, I will have to go to a different med. Synthroid was terrible for me. Can not take it and function.”

Mojave · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Been on Armor Thyroid since 2010 when my doctor switched me from Levoxyl. I did really well for many years, up until about 6 months ago, when I began feeling differently, and most recently a very concerning heart palpitations situation. I'm hoping that the switch my endocrinologist just made to Synthroid will be helpful, as I'm very uncomfortable and concerned. Not sure when the manufacturer went from Forest to Allergan, but wondering if that's the problem, and if anyone else is experiencing similar effects.”

Ju · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “As Aimee posted, Allergan now makes Armour. Allergan is owned by Abbvie which makes Synthroid. My first hint that the formulation had changed was when I noticed the Armour tablets did not have the distinctive smell anymore. I am seeing my doc on Tuesday for blood work and will ask for a handwritten prescription that I can bring to a compounding pharmacist. May cost a bit more but at least I'll know what's in my medication. I have been on 2 grains of Armour since about 2002. It's been reformulated a couple of times but it still worked for me. Now, it's like taking a placebo. Not a happy camper”

Aimee · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Doesn’t even deserve a 1. Do yourself a favor, and don’t bother with this awful “medicine” NP thyroid! It changed for the worse in the fall of 2019 and hasn’t been fixed since. Keeps getting recalled also. Most recently this past month in late April 2021 it’s recalled again, this time for sub-potency! Do a search for it. You’ve been warned! Acella can’t get it right & it’s just not a reliable choice. Go with brand-name Armour Thyroid instead (it’s literally the only one left that isn’t horrible) or get a script for 2 synthetics (Tirosint/Tirosint-SOL are the cleanest T4) along with T3 (Cytomel/liothyronine, or compounded synthetic) to balance the thyroid, OR if Naturethroid/WP ever come back on the market, try one of those”

Ben · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Took a chance on armour thyroid after NP Thyroid stopped working. The Amour I used to use years ago worked great but this new stuff is horrible. Bad muscle and joint pain along with horrible mood swings. Not worth what they are charging for this junk. A really bad drug now. Thanks for ruining something that used to be so helpful.”

Abrock · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “My sister-in-law and I are both on Armour Thyroid and we have both begun to feel draggy and we've gained weight. I've noticed that Armour no longer has that distinctive scent. Did some research and have found that Allergan which makes Armour has been bought by AbbVie which makes Synthroid. Is anyone else noticing Armour not working anymore? Have to go for bloodwork and will tell my doc to either switch me to another brand or I will have my meds compounded. I take 60mg 2x/day.”

College student · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “Everyone's battle with Hashimoto's will be different which will lead to different treatments. In my case, Armour has worked best. About a year ago, I had a sudden increase in weight with no change in diet or exercise. Once I saw this change, I ate healthier than ever before and working out consistently yet my weight went from 115 to 130 in a short period of time. I felt "puffy" and bloated constantly. Finally I was given Synthroid because Hashi's runs in my family and I had increase of antibodies. I was on it for 6 weeks and did not see any improvement. I am now on my 5th week of Armour and the bloating is gone as well as the weight gain. Don't let the doctors tell you how you feel. You must treat the symptoms. I hope this helps someone.”

Elizabeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Do not take this medicine! Started in July. He gave me samples first. Those were good. Did blood work again, doubled dosage and got script in August. My hair dried out and started falling out. Then insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, crying for no reason, menstrual cycle irregular, throat burning, stomach hurt, headaches, very greasy, complete brain fog, itchy with bumps, could barely talk, bad back shoulder and neck pain. Barely functioning day to day, I felt empty inside, like I was loosing it. l couldn't talk right. I was waking up at 12 am wide awake, couldn't relax, completely amped and exhausted at the same time. I didn't understand what was happening. I stopped taking it. Everyday my brain got clearer and felt more like me, my personality came back. I have always been healthy and didn't look at the side effects. I feel stupid for not, lesson learned. This isn't ok! I'm so glad I found this site and it all makes sense now. Please report this! I am!”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I was on Levothyroxine for 5 years and felt like a zombie. Then on Synthroid for 2 years, still a zombie. Kept being told my levels were fine on what I was taking but still felt horrible. Finally found a doctor that switched me over to Armour. Been on it maybe 2 months and I feel amazing! So much energy and easy to get up in the morning. Only side effect I seem to have is a bit of an itchy scalp but I'll take it. I even lost 17lbs already! Not every medication works the same for everyone but I recommend trying it if you have done a couple others with no results.”

kaz January 14, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “After hyperthyroidism most of my life: Graves Disease, this is the ONLY thyroid medication that works for me. Insurance companies and pharmaceutical giants prefer levothyroxine or other more expensive drugs that have more side effects and for me at least are not as effective. I was on a thyroid destroying drug for YEARS and a specialist told me that if it hadn't worked by now to destroy my thyroid gland, it probably never would, it was just putting this strong med into my body affecting other bodily functions. So, I took "their" advice and destroyed my thyroid with radioactive iodine. Now I need to be on thyroid for the rest of my life. My doctor and I tried traditional drugs pushed by the medical establishment. I finally did some research and asked others without a functioning thyroid and was directed to Armor Thyroid. It has been working for over 5 years without adjusting dosage unlike the "traditional" thyroid meds where I had to constantly change dosage.”

loony April 24, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Over 12 years of battling with hypothyroidism with all it s crazy symptoms, stop school to tired and forgetful, went through a divorce too depressed and lots of weight gain. I thought it was me and dr made me feel I am using my thyroid as excuse since the lab work is normal. I don't want to jinks it but I took my first Armour Thyroid yesterday after requesting it, AND why it a miracle. I felt so alive. So said to think back on my life and what could have been if doctor just really listen to their patient. It took a facebook group to open my eyes.”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I’m updated everyone from my September 2019 post under the name "Annie 55 yrs old". I took NP Thyroid for 1 month and 5 days before stopping the med. I had 3 months of massive hair loss, and a roller coaster of emotions. I lost 95% of my hair. It is now coming back, thankfully, and I also feel like my emotions are back in check. NP Thyroid, I believe is the cause for my hair loss. I just received a letter from Kroger(where I had my prescription filled) that there’s a recall for certain lot numbers of NP Thyroid because testing found these lots are super potent and may have 115.0% of the labeled amount of Liothyronine(T3)! This is unbelievable and so wrong! Everyone who starts feeling worse on this med needs to stop immediately and get on something else. I made a report with the FDA and haven’t heard back since last September, very disappointed with them as well. This should be rated a 0 instead of 1.”

Schnauzersmom21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I was put on this after Nature Throid was recalled. I ended up with atrial fibrillation. I stopped the drug. A cardiologist told me to restart it. I then had hyperthyroid symptoms after four days when I am actually hypothyroid. This drug needs to be recalled. NatureThroid never caused me any problems. It just did its job.”

Babs · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I took levothyroxine for over 2 years without any improvement. Armour after 6 months felt like a miracle. I think what works for some does not necessarily work for everyone. Armour has been wonderful. I have nails, my hair stopped falling out, I've lost weight, I have energy, am "myself" for the first time in years. No side effects after a year of use. It was certainly worth a try and glad I did.”

missy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “I have had Hashimoto's since 1998. Synthroid never worked for me, so doctor switched me to Nature Throid, which worked miracles after only 2 months. When there was a shortage on Nature Throid, I switched to Armour. I have been on Armour 5 years. At first I felt great on Armour, but within the last 1 1/2 years, something has changed. All my symptoms returned September 2018. Have gained 25 lbs, hair & eyebrow loss, brain fog, and extreme fatigue, etc. I would bet money that Armour has changed the formula again but won't admit it. The pills do not smell or taste the same. Fess-up Armour!! Going to doctor in 2 weeks to try a different NDT. Stay strong!”

undine July 15, 2013

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “After decades on Levothyroxine I was starting to feel really unwell: tiredness, memory lapses, hot flashes, inability to cope with hot weather, sleeping badly, verbal diarrhea, impulsive behavior, mental fog and constant pressure which made me want to jump out of my skin. Got very isolated and depressed, lost all creativity and felt I was barely existing. The changeover was very smooth and problem free. Two days after I started my eyesight seemed to improve drastically, as though a dirty filter had been removed. On day 5 I felt totally at peace. Mentally, physically and emotionally it was like going from monochrome to full spectrum HD. Lots of energy, no hot flashes or mental fog, sleeping well. I've got my life back!”

Nurse Barb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “After 25 years of waiting to feel better on Levothyroxine I finally found someone to prescribe Armour last fall. For the first time in years I feel warm. We just had the worst winter in years and I didn't have to turn the thermostat up once. My bowels are more regular than before. I felt more energy right from the start. More doctors should use this medication. ”

Denise February 12, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I’ve been on NP for 4 months. I haven’t been feeling well and have a splitting headache, so I googled side effects. I don’t know what made me think it could be thyroid medicine. For some reason it just popped into my head. I have very bad headaches daily, bloated stomach, constipation, I’m very cold all the time, foggy and just out of it. I’m so tired and have a I don’t care attitude. I used to take levo and didn’t have any of these problems. My numbers aren’t changing so the dr keeps increasing the dosage. Now at 120 mg I have such blurry vision which is sometimes double vision. Heart palpitations. Chest pain. Joint pain. I can’t sleep. I'm glad I came here to read, I thought I must have a terrible disease. Seeing Dr in a few days.”

Mandy July 24, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “found a 4.2 cm & 1cm nodule on my thyroid. I had a biopsy it was non-cancerous. The doctor wanted to take it out immediately I got a 2nd opinion the 2nd doctor wanted to take it out but gave me an option to take Medicine to make me hyper to shrink them. My thyroid levels were normal but my T3 was sorta low. I requested Armour Thyroid From doctor For the first 2 week I had a bad headache. Keep going if you get a headache don’t stop it will pass in 2 to 3 weeks. I was able to quit all of my antidepressants & feel normal again for the first time in years. I got another ultrasound To my surprise Dr said my 4.2 nodule shrunk to 2 cm! I’ve also been doing keto diet No gluten and sugar I also eat 2-3 Brazil nuts every day and take 10,000 of vitamin D daily. I also wasn’t hungry for sweets anymore give it 4 to 6 weeks to really start feeling it. It also fixed my constipation. I can’t recommend this medicine enough!”

alarones · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “It took years before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and placed on Synthroid, I started to feel better but many major issues remained. I got more energy back, but never lost weight. My memory got better, but I wasn't clear-headed. I continued to feel major anxiety and had emotional ups and downs. When I found a doctor who suggested I try Armour, within 2 weeks of taking it my life seemed to return. I am a strong supporter of Armour.”

MissSB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Have been on thyroid meds for years and have taken many brands due to insurance changes and product unavailability. Some were better than others for sure. New insurance would not cover the Armour that worked best for me, so they substituted NP Thyroid last November. Since then, life has been bad. The pill does smell like cat pee! I have had every symptom listed above and have spent hundreds of dollars bouncing from specialist to specialist. I have gone from being a very, very healthy person to someone who can barely function and can't work. I have gained 8 lbs and hardly eat due to stomach issues. Found out today that this med has been recalled several times in the last few months. This manufacturer needs to STOP making this medication all together! They can't get it right! BEWARE!”

Cher: July 9, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “When I was Diagnosed With thyroid problems around nine years ago. My TSH was a 6.7. I was placed on Synthriod. I developed terrible headaches right from the start. The Dr. decided to switch over to Levoxyl brand. Let me tell you it has been a whirl wind of problems from tiredness, to aches and pains coming out of nowhere. I gain 50lbs in the last nine years. Constantly dieting, the gym, nothing worked. Swelling and cloudy thinking. The Dr. said my TSH was normal. Okay, just started on Armour Thyroid 60mg. Unbelievable. My aches and pains are gone. Lost five pounds in these last two weeks. Swelling is gone and I am alert! Do your homework and take charge. I finally did! " Armour changed my life".”