User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid, WP Thyroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 3 reviews 26 medications

Hashimoto's disease 58 reviews 24 medications

8.1
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 190 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Naturopath put me on AT August 2014. My TSH was 4.0 but she said I would feel better if we could get it under 2.0. I gained 32 pounds before Christmas. Thought it was stress b/c I had gone back to work full-time in August, after our youngest started college. I went into menopause, had a period every other month for 4 months, and cycle stopped Feb 2015. Also attributed the weight gain to this. I also got insomnia, night sweats, and severe brain fog, also attributed to the menopause. (age 46) I began having acid reflux/heartburn, trying PPI's and eating TUMS. My AT scrip ran out over Xmas 2016, so I took 1 every other day to get by and instantly lost 5 lbs. Heartburn and PM sweats stopped. My period came back! Still losing wt, and fog is gon"

myjenny (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I agree a lot with what others have said. I am currently on 15mg Armour but my doctor tried to put me on 30mg and I didn't realize it right away, I thought I was sick and dehydrated but it was the Armour! It made me sick and I lost a lot of weight and I felt so bad and dizzy like my heart wasn't beating fast enough. It was terrible. She switched me back to 15 mg and I feel good again."

GAD6 December 16, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medication changed my life. I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism years ago and for five years I was on levothyroxine. Despite taking it every day as recommended, I experienced no difference in my extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and constipation. I was sleeping all the time. Exercise was a nightmare. No longer the energetic person I used to be. I basically wrote that off as my baseline. Then I started reading about different hypothyroidism treatments and beg my doctor to put me on Naturthroid. I now feel exactly how I am meant to - boundless energy when I get up in the morning at all throughout the day, and as a result, my mood has dramatically improved."

Raquella December 16, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I find it very effective much better than synthetic drugs. Feel much better taking it."

Marg93 December 1, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "VERY bad heart intolerance."

Gimma VERY (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "On Synthroid for a year post subtotal thyroidectomy in 2002, gained 17lbs in just a few months, hair fell out, felt miserable. Switched to Armour in 2003 and got me my life and health back. Compounded thyroid is cheaper so I started using that with no issues until last year, when I was no longer able to get my compounded thyroid as I'm now in the U.K. which only compounds thyroid for animals, not humans. Back on Armour last year and the weight started creeping back up, fatigue set in, cold at night, all the hypo symptoms came back despite my labs looking great. I put on 8 lbs in three months!! Switched to Nature Throid and the weight is coming off again and I feel normal. Forrest Pharma pulled a Martin Shkreli."

Nachtjenevel (taken for 10 years or more) October 30, 2016

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for TSH Suppression: "I needed to be on Armour Thyroid because Synthetic Thyroid didn't work on me. I could not convert T3 to T4. Now the company has re Formulated "Armour" and it doesn't work. "NP Thyroid" works Very well."

Jim C. (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 25, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I'v been on Armour thyroid for over fifteen years except for one year when I had a physician who would not prescribe Armour. Synthroid was a nightmare for me. However, in the last several years, I have noticed a definite difference in each refill of Armour. One refill leaves me fat and moody and the next one may cause me to feel normal and lose five or six pounds effortlessly. This is NOT OK for anyone. A huge price increase and such an inferior, and unpredictable product should make us all angry. Our hands are tied unless we can buy the manufacturer."

Dinky Dodad October 24, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Desiccated thyroid is the only replacement that lets me love a normal, healthy life post-thyroidectomy. I spent a year on Levothyroxine and was utterly and completely miserable and barely functioning physically and cognitively. Desiccated thyroid literally gave me my life back. I took Armour Thyroid for 15 years without issue but they have recently tripled the price, so I switched to Nature-Throid. It is equally as excellent and I'm very happy with it. Can't recommend it enough. I'm in the U.K. Though and we still get ripped off here with regard to all desiccated thyroid drugs as they aren't considered licensed medications, which means I have to pay out of pocket. Worth it though."

Sianita October 18, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you."

TrueThat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on levothyroxine for over 30 years. This past year i felt like I had been hit by a bus when I woke up in the morning. No energy to do anything, aches and pains in hips, legs and shoulders. I went to my doc and asked her to change my medication to Nature Throid after hearing about it from a friend who has Hoshimoto's. Thankfully my doc agreed and after a few days, my energy was back, the aches and pain are gone. I finally feel human again. I had no side effects. I wish this drug was available years ago. My levo was expensive for a 90 day supply with insurance ($40), now it is only $17 for the same 90 day supply of Nature-Throid."

longtime user of levo September 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Armour Thyroid for a number of years. Am having a hard time getting regulated. Having numerous symptoms-sweats, heart palpitations, dizziness, migraines to name a few. Anyone else experience this?"

des1962 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "This is an old medication. The price has gone up incredibly and for no apparent reason other then profits for the manufacturer. Medicare programs do not cover this Rx and all my doctors recommend that I stay on this Rx. We are being ripped off!"

Ellencoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on levo first for about 3 months. Blood test came back with good numbers. Only I still felt like crap. Doc changed me to nature throid . I felt sooooo much better. I needed the T3 ( levo was not converting the T4 ) I take 195 mg a day. 2 pills in morning. 1 mid day ... My insurance does not cover. But $40 gets me a 3 month supply"

Deans odd September 15, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "My Dr. insisted for years my thyroid wasn't to blame for all of my hypo symptoms. I started seeing another Dr to manage medications as I'm also dealing with depression. She ran a full battery of tests on my thyroid levels and put me on Armour. I have NEVER felt as good as I feel now. I started at a low dose and just doubled it and now have more energy, alertness and lost 8lbs without changing anything. I'm not drinking caffeine constantly and can keep up with my 10, 8 & 1 year old boys. My bff has struggled using Synthroid and is now talking to her doctor about using armour. I hope it works for her and doesn't stop working for me!"

ORgirlCA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for TSH Suppression: "I have been receiving natural hormone pellets for the past 6 months and feel great! My blood work showed I had a very low level of thyroid, and I was put on the 30 mg in the morning ; as a result , I feel so much better. I did gain weight but I cannot blame it all on the thyroid medication because I received the pellets the same time. This week my thyroid medication was increased to 60mg, since my levels were still low, and I hope to stay at a low dosage. I feel greater than before the hormone therapy and try to manage my food portions. I will be buying the book called thyroid diet book to learn more about managing my intake of food. The medication is working for me and I have not experienced hair loss and I hope not to."

Majesticdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've been taking levothyroxine for 15 years or so and I just felt that it had become stagnant after all those years. I started taking armor and it was fine for the first 2 to 3 years then I noticed that I have been having anxiety, trouble sleeping and I just overall feel like I'm hyperthyroid. Blood levels are fine, but we just thought I needed to adjust my dose. A couple months ago I started breaking out in random hives, allergy tests came back neg. However it is not every day. Because of the hyper thyroid feeling I stopped taking it for a week and felt fine . Started back on it, same feeling. I also have started getting a Humming in my ears and want to know if anyone else has experienced this before I see an ENT."

Juliejmn (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "i have Hashimotos thyroiditis. United Health care & Medicare says Armour Thyroid is not covered by them. I was on Armour thyroid for 15years. My insurance made me try other meds.I tried other thyroid meds including Nature Throid. I put on 48 lbs under Nature Throid my body was tired I was dizzy & could not function & had incontinence. I now am back on Armour thyroid feeling better everyday & decreasing in weight & other symptoms are gone. But have to pay for it myself & since I am on Social Security it is a big expense. Thanks Armour thyroid"

Babsar2 August 31, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had many of the same experiences with the chemical thyroid meds, I asked to be switched over to armour and felt great, then after a few years, I noticed something was terribly wrong had heart palpating and just super tired all the time. Went to the pharmacy and he told me that they changed the formula and that it had more fillers, he said that he could compound it for me and that would take care of the problem, so I asked my doctor and got a perscription for it to be compounded. All I can say is what a difference!!! Back to my old self."

Lkdora August 27, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease several years ago. My doctor prescribed step increased doses of synthroid. I felt increasingly worse with feelings of anxiousness and insomnia. I changed doctors and my new doctor prescribed Armour. After one dose adjustment my TSH numbers were good and I felt great. That was eight years ago. I still feel great and would not use synthetic TSH. So glad some doctors understand Armour works better for some patients."

Jamie Sunshine August 24, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "This is the only drug that works for me yet the Australian government has banned it!"

Polly E August 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Levothyroxin (generic of Synthroid) for 3 years. It gave me terrible facial acne and my weight fluctuated in an 8 pound cycle up and down. I plateaued at a certain weight. I started Np, and the acne went away immediately, but I've gained 8 pounds over that plateau in 2 months and the cellulite on my legs doubled. I have no idea if this is related but it seems too coincidental. Still super tired. Irritable. Occasional leg cramps."

Stephanie673 August 7, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed 9yrs ago as being Hypo. About 2 yrs ago they diagnosed me with Hashi's. I started out on Levothyroxine, soon realized I couldn't take generic. Switched to Synthroid. My levels were consistently off every time I went to get labs done. Kept upping the meds. I asked to switch to Armour...was on that for about 9mo. Just recently got my results back. My TPO was a 289...supposed to be below a 34. TSH was a 37.590 supposed to be between 0.450-4.500. My doc is pretty much baffled by these results. Since I have been taking thyroid meds for 9 yrs. She switched me to Nature-throid and I've been taking it for about 7 days now. I'm on 195mg. I'm praying these meds work."

HJJGA August 6, 2016