User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 2 reviews 24 medications

Hashimoto's disease 56 reviews 22 medications

8.1
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 181 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you."

TrueThat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on levothyroxine for over 30 years. This past year i felt like I had been hit by a bus when I woke up in the morning. No energy to do anything, aches and pains in hips, legs and shoulders. I went to my doc and asked her to change my medication to Nature Throid after hearing about it from a friend who has Hoshimoto's. Thankfully my doc agreed and after a few days, my energy was back, the aches and pain are gone. I finally feel human again. I had no side effects. I wish this drug was available years ago. My levo was expensive for a 90 day supply with insurance ($40), now it is only $17 for the same 90 day supply of Nature-Throid."

longtime user of levo September 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Armour Thyroid for a number of years. Am having a hard time getting regulated. Having numerous symptoms-sweats, heart palpitations, dizziness, migraines to name a few. Anyone else experience this?"

des1962 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "This is an old medication. The price has gone up incredibly and for no apparent reason other then profits for the manufacturer. Medicare programs do not cover this Rx and all my doctors recommend that I stay on this Rx. We are being ripped off!"

Ellencoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on levo first for about 3 months. Blood test came back with good numbers. Only I still felt like crap. Doc changed me to nature throid . I felt sooooo much better. I needed the T3 ( levo was not converting the T4 ) I take 195 mg a day. 2 pills in morning. 1 mid day ... My insurance does not cover. But $40 gets me a 3 month supply"

Deans odd September 15, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "My Dr. insisted for years my thyroid wasn't to blame for all of my hypo symptoms. I started seeing another Dr to manage medications as I'm also dealing with depression. She ran a full battery of tests on my thyroid levels and put me on Armour. I have NEVER felt as good as I feel now. I started at a low dose and just doubled it and now have more energy, alertness and lost 8lbs without changing anything. I'm not drinking caffeine constantly and can keep up with my 10, 8 & 1 year old boys. My bff has struggled using Synthroid and is now talking to her doctor about using armour. I hope it works for her and doesn't stop working for me!"

ORgirlCA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for TSH Suppression: "I have been receiving natural hormone pellets for the past 6 months and feel great! My blood work showed I had a very low level of thyroid, and I was put on the 30 mg in the morning ; as a result , I feel so much better. I did gain weight but I cannot blame it all on the thyroid medication because I received the pellets the same time. This week my thyroid medication was increased to 60mg, since my levels were still low, and I hope to stay at a low dosage. I feel greater than before the hormone therapy and try to manage my food portions. I will be buying the book called thyroid diet book to learn more about managing my intake of food. The medication is working for me and I have not experienced hair loss and I hope not to."

Majesticdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've been taking levothyroxine for 15 years or so and I just felt that it had become stagnant after all those years. I started taking armor and it was fine for the first 2 to 3 years then I noticed that I have been having anxiety, trouble sleeping and I just overall feel like I'm hyperthyroid. Blood levels are fine, but we just thought I needed to adjust my dose. A couple months ago I started breaking out in random hives, allergy tests came back neg. However it is not every day. Because of the hyper thyroid feeling I stopped taking it for a week and felt fine . Started back on it, same feeling. I also have started getting a Humming in my ears and want to know if anyone else has experienced this before I see an ENT."

Juliejmn (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "i have Hashimotos thyroiditis. United Health care & Medicare says Armour Thyroid is not covered by them. I was on Armour thyroid for 15years. My insurance made me try other meds.I tried other thyroid meds including Nature Throid. I put on 48 lbs under Nature Throid my body was tired I was dizzy & could not function & had incontinence. I now am back on Armour thyroid feeling better everyday & decreasing in weight & other symptoms are gone. But have to pay for it myself & since I am on Social Security it is a big expense. Thanks Armour thyroid"

Babsar2 August 31, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had many of the same experiences with the chemical thyroid meds, I asked to be switched over to armour and felt great, then after a few years, I noticed something was terribly wrong had heart palpating and just super tired all the time. Went to the pharmacy and he told me that they changed the formula and that it had more fillers, he said that he could compound it for me and that would take care of the problem, so I asked my doctor and got a perscription for it to be compounded. All I can say is what a difference!!! Back to my old self."

Lkdora August 27, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease several years ago. My doctor prescribed step increased doses of synthroid. I felt increasingly worse with feelings of anxiousness and insomnia. I changed doctors and my new doctor prescribed Armour. After one dose adjustment my TSH numbers were good and I felt great. That was eight years ago. I still feel great and would not use synthetic TSH. So glad some doctors understand Armour works better for some patients."

Jamie Sunshine August 24, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "This is the only drug that works for me yet the Australian government has banned it!"

Polly E August 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Levothyroxin (generic of Synthroid) for 3 years. It gave me terrible facial acne and my weight fluctuated in an 8 pound cycle up and down. I plateaued at a certain weight. I started Np, and the acne went away immediately, but I've gained 8 pounds over that plateau in 2 months and the cellulite on my legs doubled. I have no idea if this is related but it seems too coincidental. Still super tired. Irritable. Occasional leg cramps."

Stephanie673 August 7, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed 9yrs ago as being Hypo. About 2 yrs ago they diagnosed me with Hashi's. I started out on Levothyroxine, soon realized I couldn't take generic. Switched to Synthroid. My levels were consistently off every time I went to get labs done. Kept upping the meds. I asked to switch to Armour...was on that for about 9mo. Just recently got my results back. My TPO was a 289...supposed to be below a 34. TSH was a 37.590 supposed to be between 0.450-4.500. My doc is pretty much baffled by these results. Since I have been taking thyroid meds for 9 yrs. She switched me to Nature-throid and I've been taking it for about 7 days now. I'm on 195mg. I'm praying these meds work."

HJJGA August 6, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I used to be on Armour...then it was unavailable for a while since they were reformulating it. I don't know why they had to reformulate it. It was working fine and is an old reliable drug. After the reformulation, my side effects (that I didn't have before) included my feet cramping at night.....often. Changed to Nature-throid and don't have that problem."

Clack August 4, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I switched from synthroid to armour last year and felt better for the first couple of months. I've had an on again off again scalp itch/rash that I could not figure out for the life of me. About 6 months into armour I was overwhelmed by all my sympotoms, fatigue, depression, low libido, joint pain and the scalp itch/rash just would not go away. My endo let me try a 30 day supply of Tirosint and the rash went away and I felt so much better. Just to test my theory I went back to armour after the 30 days. Very quickly I realized it was DEFINITELY the armour and I'm going back to tirosint. Armour is SO much cheaper but not worth it!"

Ijustwanttofeelbetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on dec. thyroid for 2 1/2 months. I haven't had my period since I have been on it. I have hot flashes and seem to be moody. I don't know if it has caused me to start all of this. I am seeing the doctor in two weeks to find out."

Seena123 July 10, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "Started Naturethroid after seven years on Levoxyl and Cytomel, with unrelenting fatigue, migraines, constipation, and feeling cold all the time. Initially felt great on the Naturethroid. But after two weeks, started to have headaches again. Then developed diarrhea that lasted for two weeks. It was a nightmare. Went off of it and went back to the synthetics. So disappointed that it caused this reaction. These natural meds are not necessarily the perfect solution that they are portrayed to be, even if they do work for some."

Josiedog (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had been on Armour thyroid for about 15 years and always felt good. Somehow the formula must have changed when Forest Labs was bought out although the new company denies that. I started feeling really jumpy and couldn't get my numbers right. I've been on Nature-Throid for about seven weeks. It took some time to adjust but now I feel much better. I've read that they don't use the fillers Armour does."

LindaPB (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in November. My peroxidase antibody was measured at 10 in a reference of 1-59. I asked my doctor to put me on Naturethroud after I could not take synthroid. Synthroid makes my eye twitch constantly. I also went to an autoimmune paleo diet. I really liked the naturethroid. At first. I lost weight, I felt better. Then something started happening. My hips and shoulders got so stiff that I could barely move. They hurt so bad. I also noticed that a vein on my forehead. I began to also get pinpoint headaches. It just kept getting worse. I went to my doctor and he gave me prednisone shots in my right hip and shoulder. I asked him to switch me to WP thyroid. I was allergic to a filler in the Naturthroid."

Loren M June 11, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I went to see an endocrinologist after my daughter told me that a co-worker of hers was hypothyroid and lost a ton of weight taking Armour. My endo told me that I had Hashimoto's and the best thing was for me to switch to Armour from Synthroid which was really what I was hoping to hear. I was so hopeful that this was finally going to be my ticket to a thinner me! :0\ During the course of 6 months I gained 20 pounds. My dosage was increased nearly every time I visited the doctor and with each increase in dosage came an increase in my weight. I went back to my primary care physician and told her my story and she put me back on Synthroid and the scales are finally moving in the other direction."

tinab43837 June 4, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Losing weight slowly, full head of hair grown back, eyebrows back, sleeping much better, and skin conditions calming down."

Fordy May 12, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Many years ago I was told by my doctor that I had a Hypothyroid. First I took Synthroid, which made me very sick, so for years I never took anything, ate healthy organic foods and felt wonderful. I went recently to an a specialist (Endocrinologist) and he also said my blood levels showed an underactive thyroid. The strange thing is that I don't have ANY of the symptoms of this disease. But I tried Armour Thyroid for about a month, and had chest pains, stomach cramps, and I was so tired all the time, I spent most days in bed. Now I went off AT and I feel back to normal. I don't care what a test shows....it's how I feel that matters."

Sultrylady84 May 2, 2016