User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

8.3
Hashimoto's disease 51 reviews 22 medications

Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 171 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease several years ago. My doctor prescribed step increased doses of synthroid. I felt increasingly worse with feelings of anxiousness and insomnia. I changed doctors and my new doctor prescribed Armour. After one dose adjustment my TSH numbers were good and I felt great. That was eight years ago. I still feel great and would not use synthetic TSH. So glad some doctors understand Armour works better for some patients."

Jamie Sunshine August 24, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "This is the only drug that works for me yet the Australian government has banned it!"

Polly E August 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Levothyroxin (generic of Synthroid) for 3 years. It gave me terrible facial acne and my weight fluctuated in an 8 pound cycle up and down. I plateaued at a certain weight. I started Np, and the acne went away immediately, but I've gained 8 pounds over that plateau in 2 months and the cellulite on my legs doubled. I have no idea if this is related but it seems too coincidental. Still super tired. Irritable. Occasional leg cramps."

Stephanie673 August 7, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed 9yrs ago as being Hypo. About 2 yrs ago they diagnosed me with Hashi's. I started out on Levothyroxine, soon realized I couldn't take generic. Switched to Synthroid. My levels were consistently off every time I went to get labs done. Kept upping the meds. I asked to switch to Armour...was on that for about 9mo. Just recently got my results back. My TPO was a 289...supposed to be below a 34. TSH was a 37.590 supposed to be between 0.450-4.500. My doc is pretty much baffled by these results. Since I have been taking thyroid meds for 9 yrs. She switched me to Nature-throid and I've been taking it for about 7 days now. I'm on 195mg. I'm praying these meds work."

HJJGA August 6, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I used to be on Armour...then it was unavailable for a while since they were reformulating it. I don't know why they had to reformulate it. It was working fine and is an old reliable drug. After the reformulation, my side effects (that I didn't have before) included my feet cramping at night.....often. Changed to Nature-throid and don't have that problem."

Clack August 4, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I switched from synthroid to armour last year and felt better for the first couple of months. I've had an on again off again scalp itch/rash that I could not figure out for the life of me. About 6 months into armour I was overwhelmed by all my sympotoms, fatigue, depression, low libido, joint pain and the scalp itch/rash just would not go away. My endo let me try a 30 day supply of Tirosint and the rash went away and I felt so much better. Just to test my theory I went back to armour after the 30 days. Very quickly I realized it was DEFINITELY the armour and I'm going back to tirosint. Armour is SO much cheaper but not worth it!"

Ijustwanttofeelbetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on dec. thyroid for 2 1/2 months. I haven't had my period since I have been on it. I have hot flashes and seem to be moody. I don't know if it has caused me to start all of this. I am seeing the doctor in two weeks to find out."

Seena123 July 10, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "Started Naturethroid after seven years on Levoxyl and Cytomel, with unrelenting fatigue, migraines, constipation, and feeling cold all the time. Initially felt great on the Naturethroid. But after two weeks, started to have headaches again. Then developed diarrhea that lasted for two weeks. It was a nightmare. Went off of it and went back to the synthetics. So disappointed that it caused this reaction. These natural meds are not necessarily the perfect solution that they are portrayed to be, even if they do work for some."

Josiedog (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had been on Armour thyroid for about 15 years and always felt good. Somehow the formula must have changed when Forest Labs was bought out although the new company denies that. I started feeling really jumpy and couldn't get my numbers right. I've been on Nature-Throid for about seven weeks. It took some time to adjust but now I feel much better. I've read that they don't use the fillers Armour does."

LindaPB (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in November. My peroxidase antibody was measured at 10 in a reference of 1-59. I asked my doctor to put me on Naturethroud after I could not take synthroid. Synthroid makes my eye twitch constantly. I also went to an autoimmune paleo diet. I really liked the naturethroid. At first. I lost weight, I felt better. Then something started happening. My hips and shoulders got so stiff that I could barely move. They hurt so bad. I also noticed that a vein on my forehead. I began to also get pinpoint headaches. It just kept getting worse. I went to my doctor and he gave me prednisone shots in my right hip and shoulder. I asked him to switch me to WP thyroid. I was allergic to a filler in the Naturthroid."

Loren M June 11, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I went to see an endocrinologist after my daughter told me that a co-worker of hers was hypothyroid and lost a ton of weight taking Armour. My endo told me that I had Hashimoto's and the best thing was for me to switch to Armour from Synthroid which was really what I was hoping to hear. I was so hopeful that this was finally going to be my ticket to a thinner me! :0\ During the course of 6 months I gained 20 pounds. My dosage was increased nearly every time I visited the doctor and with each increase in dosage came an increase in my weight. I went back to my primary care physician and told her my story and she put me back on Synthroid and the scales are finally moving in the other direction."

tinab43837 June 4, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Losing weight slowly, full head of hair grown back, eyebrows back, sleeping much better, and skin conditions calming down."

Fordy May 12, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Many years ago I was told by my doctor that I had a Hypothyroid. First I took Synthroid, which made me very sick, so for years I never took anything, ate healthy organic foods and felt wonderful. I went recently to an a specialist (Endocrinologist) and he also said my blood levels showed an underactive thyroid. The strange thing is that I don't have ANY of the symptoms of this disease. But I tried Armour Thyroid for about a month, and had chest pains, stomach cramps, and I was so tired all the time, I spent most days in bed. Now I went off AT and I feel back to normal. I don't care what a test shows....it's how I feel that matters."

Sultrylady84 May 2, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Started on Armour decades ago, stayed with it then could not get it and had to take Synthroid. My pharmacist informed me last year Armour was back on the market and switched to it, 1 grain or 60 mg. What an improvement I noticed. Yes, there is a difference"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had started taking Armour over 6 months ago and it did better for me than Synthroid or Nature-Throid. Eyebrows and head hair started to grow in, energy improved, brain fog was lifting, all the rest of the good things we go through to get back to ourselves. About 8 weeks ago the symptoms all started coming back, including some new ones, like the rash on my hands someone else mentioned happened with them. I thought I was doing something wrong. Checked my diet, sleep, etc., all good. I did an internet search and turned up so many websites where people shared their stories of problems with Armour and it all clicked. I switched to WP a week ago and already feel better."

Ladycatpurrs April 23, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Synthroid did not help: zero improvement on quality of life and bad side effects. Have been through all possible medications, none helped, same story as Synthroid. Am now on Armour, 3 grains. Doesn't help at all, and gives me side effects: weight gain, hair loss, difficulty sleeping, hyperpigmentation, no patella reflex, brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. In fact I feel better, and most of the signs/symptoms are lessened, if I take *nothing* even though my TSH is 90 and my T4 and T3 are undetectable (ie, no T3 nor T4 in my body). I overwhelmingly prefer taking nothing as that gives me the best quality of life (albeit a pretty poor quality of life). I take medication, Armour, (and suffer), only because my doctors insist that I take medication."

Igaveup (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Why can't they go back to the old method of making Armour Thyroid? I've tried the synthetic meds before. I don't feel like myself and had msny issues with side effects. Even a mix of two different ones trying to get my t3 right. Tsh levels always good or played games of too high or too low until the t3 was studied. Yes I've had more issued with sleeping, insomnia, irritability, focus, weight loss, hair loss, and for the first time in my life I had a migraine over a year ago and now needing to take daily meds for them. Does anyone know of another company even out of the US where we could buy the old formula from.use of pig glands certainly can't be expensive.just another company filling thier pockets while given a lesser product, we suffer"

Whymesswithsomethingthatworks (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed. The synthroid and levothroid left a taste of aluminum in my mouth. I was nauseous and fatigued. I asked my dr. for armour, but my insurance didn't cover that so he prescribed nature-throid. I love it. I thought it didn't work at first. I thought that you could eat with it, but come to find out, you have to take it 30 min before or 2 hrs. after you eat. I take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and have no problems at all. Very good medicine. 65 mg for me. My insurance just sent a notice they won't cover it any more, but I will protest it or pay out of pocket. I cannot do the synthroid or Levathroid....never."

mystlgrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Took Armour Thyroid for the last 10 years. When the formula was changed a couple of years ago, all of the hypothyroid symptoms set in. Weight gain, hair loss, etc. My new doctor switched my prescription to NP Thyroid about 6 months ago. Such a huge improvement!!"

Julie G April 7, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Took Synthroid for about 15 years and although I never felt it was working for me my doctor would only say "well, your labs look good." I read about Armour and had my doctor change me. Armour was amazing. I felt great after 2-3 months. Weight dropped, dry skin and hair improved and my energy level significantly improved. Then all of a sudden I developed a terrible rash on my hands. Doctors tested for contact dermatitis, other allergies, all came back negative. The only new addition to my routine was the Armour. I read other reviews that discussed the fact the Forrest Phar. had been sold and apparently Armour was reformulated with possibly other fillers. Stopped Armour and the rash disappeared. Miss its benefits."

KBBD April 5, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I took one 16.5 NP pill and three hrs later I had the worst diahrea and vomited ever. I had been on Armour 30 mcg for a month with stomach pains and diahrea and it was getting worse every day so switched to NP. Now I'm on Levothrroxine 30 mcg and feeling better. I'm researching Tirosint and Cyptomel as the have minimal ingredients ie no gluten which is a big no no for us Hashimlto gals. Good luck to all of finding a good doctor and the right medication for you."

Stellie March 31, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "After burn-out tech job my thyroid became underactive. Began on Armour thyroid 1 grain with positive effects for about 15 years. During that time one Doctor insisted I try the synthetic, levothyroxine, (because she believed the 'spin' from big-pharma about dessicated thyroid). I reacted to levothyroxine with dark void spot in the center of my vision. So, I went back to Armour for years until they changed formula when I began to get hypo symptoms again. So I tried Naturethroid, ugh, I got a severe case of hives. So had to go back to Armour even though it was now suboptimal. Discovered they added titanium dioxide in new formula which I am allergic to and is what Naturethroid has. Trying NP Thyroid now, no titanium, will report results later."

Arco Sante March 24, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Prescribed 1 grain split day-time dosage of armour thyroid. After 2nd day, each time I took the 1/2 dosage I had slight sore-throat and eyes itching and irritated, this happened every time and became progressively worse daily until 8 days later, I could not take the side effects anymore and had to stop taking it. Allergist tested positive for allergy to egg whites and dairy. I had ingested both of these products in one way or another on the days that I took the armour so figured it was the egg/diary allergy and not the armour. Allergist took skin/oral test with the armour and no signs of an allergic reaction to it, tried it again, 1 hour after each dose same symptoms, no more armour for me!!! Now I seem to be allergic to everything!!"

electriclade (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016