User Reviews for Levoxyl

TSH Suppression 5.0
Summary of Levoxyl reviews 7.0 33 reviews

Reviews for Levoxyl

Steph17 January 27, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on this medication for 22 years. It took about 2 years of taking medication for me to feel normal in the beginning. My hair and skin are great and I have good cognition and energy levels. I have a busy job and I feel great and energetic. I have always maintained a normal weight and look young for my age. The only side effect I have found is I feel the cold. If you don’t mind putting the heating on I can definitely recommend.”

sfergu3447 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I had Radioactive iodine (RAI) 29 years ago and have been on Synthroid all that time. The side effects I had got worse as the years went by. I had rapid heart beat (over medicated) and just felt awful as the years went. I just switched to Levoxyl 6 weeks ago and most of the adverse side effects I had on synthroid have subsided. However, I am listless, loss of hair is bad, terrible brain fog and just as weak as can be. Increased the dose two weeks ago and still no response. Sorry I cannot rate this a 10 yet. Will stay on it for another 6 weeks and then rerate it. Right now not responding properly.”

B2L · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 6, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Brand name only! Levoxyl brought me back to life after being on Synthroid for the past 6 years. I was on Levoxyl since my thyroidectomy then was forced to switch to Synthroid when it was recalled. On Synthroid, was barely functioning, horribly depressed, very tired, moody, painful heavy periods, horrible thoughts, migraines and motion sickness all the time! Miserable! I finally told my Dr I want to get back on Levoxyl. Thank GOD I did, almost immediately all the bad symptoms stopped and I feel amazing! I’m back to the land of the living! If you are feeling like I did on Synthroid do not hesitate and switch to BRAND NAME Levoxyl!”

KE · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was a long time Levoxyl user prior to the major recall that happened and I loved Levoxyl and felt fantastic before the recall that happened! I have tried it 4 separate times and each time I try it, I feel horrible. Imagine the most tired feeling you could ever feel!!! I cannot function and require naps, when I try taking it. Not sure what changes they made to the formula, but for me, it is horrible. I just had to share this, just in case anyone out there is feeling this same feeling. Trust me, the formula has changed and not for the better...”

Me February 4, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “Taking Levoxyl for about 6 months, and unfortunately not working for me. The stomach pain is unbearable at times and unpredictable. Hair loss, spasms, vivid dreams, headaches, that horrid brain fog. (Hashimoto causes hair loss, including the medication. Make sure your iron levels are optimal.) These are just a few of a long list of side effects. Took synthroid for about 2 years and it worked to some degree, but hair loss was a nightmare and the lactose coating was a no for me-continuous digestive issues. Digestive issues with Levoxyl is enough to get me seek other treatment.”

kamlchap · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2017

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Some general ill feelings, feels a lot like I'm taking hydrocodone”

Mslemontea27 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease: “I love this brand the best. And yes I can tell the difference between generic brand. My short term memory is BAD. Mood, weight loss harder to get. Levoxyl works best. I'm glad my Dr. Listen to me.”

miss sunshine September 24, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on it 1 mth. I have gain 14 pounds. My hair is starting to change for the better. The weight is so unhealthy. Any ideas?Please help.”

ThyroidMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “Levoxyl has given me my life back. I did not do well on Synthroid or generics.”

Happy dog June 13, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been taking Levoxyl for 3 months and my blood tests have gone down from 110 to 65 it's still not normal still under active thyroid. Half my hair has fallen out in the 3 month period. My stomach hurts and the Dr said no Pepcid or antacids for 4 hours after taking the medication. My joints and muscles hurt all of the time and I have insomnia. I think I may be adapting to the meds as I no longer have to spend half the day in the bathroom. Diarrhea has lessened but stomach cramps persist. I was just told I need to increase the Levoxyl to 075 mg. I'm terrified I may end up bald with an ulcer”

Janine10 January 29, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I'm not sure how to rate Levoxyl honestly. I had thyroid cancer and a full thyroidectomy 2 years ago and I still have yet to feel like me again. I'll be good for a few months then they weight goes back on, I'm exhaused, brain fog, and anxiety. I'm on 176mcg and 10mcg T3. I still feel like crap and unable to lose weight. I used to do bikini competitions for bodybuilding so I know how to be motivated to eat clean and hit the gym. I'm do all of this with zero results. I'm beyond frustrated.”

Mrs. 13 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I've used this drug for years until the recall. I take 175 mcg. I switched to Synthroid and it was "just okay." I missed Levoxyl. After I learned Levoxyl returned to the market I requested to be placed back on it. I've had several problems with my TSH levels being too low (0.02 and 0.03!) meaning that my dose is too high.”

Bruce99 June 29, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: “Taking Levoxyl has been a life saver. When it went off the market, I had a difficult time with Synthroid. However, since the drug came back on market and I've been taking it, my sleep is very disrupted. I have insufficient REM. I have very vivid dreams. My doctor says that this is a side effect.”

New Haven · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 18, 2013

For Hashimoto's disease: “I really like Levoxyl and am bereft that it's unavailable now. It doesn't affect my weight at all. In fact, I let myself gain about 12 lbs a couple of years ago, juiced for a few days to get my eating back to normal and then proceeded to lose all the weight and then a few more. I have absolutely no side effects. I tried Synthroid once and didn't like it. I have also been on the same dosage, 0.1mg, all this time.”

M5125 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 17, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “I had been on Levoxyl (name brand) for about 10 years when they just recently decided to recall the medication from the pharmacy shelves. I was on 0.50 mcg 3 times per week and 0.75 mcg 3 times per week with one day off altogether. I did very well on it. My thyroid had finally gotten to the normal range when they decided to pull it off of the shelves. Now I am at a loss as to what to take. The doctor put me on the Synthroid (Levothyroxine 50 mcg). I took it for a month. It was not too bad at first but as it started to build up in my system I began having tremors and feeling jittery all of the time with a weak feeling in my legs and muscles. I am now on Synthroid but don't feel all that good.”

O'Fallon March 11, 2013

For Hashimoto's disease: “Can't lose weight on Levoxyl. I sweat profusely, have brain fog, fatigue and so many symptoms of hypo. ”

Anonymous July 11, 2012

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have used this for only a few months now and I have lost weight and need less sleep to make it through the day. There have been a few odd side effects, including lactation but nothing that is unmanageable or worse then how I felt before it. I take it in the morning with a glass of water and do not eat for 45 min for better absorption.”

full of life again · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2012

“LOVE this Levoxyl. I am 55 and in menopause. Have had several blood works and told doctors how crappy I felt, no energy in a fog, hair loss all the symptoms of menopause and then some. I go to Mexico tell a Doc the SAME symptoms and suggested I take this medicine and I would feel better, get out of the fog and frumpy slump I was feeling, have more energy AND MAN after 3 weeks I feel fantastic. I don't even crave sweets or want to eat as much. I have that ZAZAZOO back in me. I feel more alive and sexy. I am single and I don't want to live my life without having FUN. This medication has brought some life back in ME!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 7, 2012

For Hashimoto's disease: “This medication did help with dry skin and hair associated with Hashimotos and perhaps did lessen my anxiety "somewhat", can't be sure since I also am in menopause and use Vivelle dot patches and Prometrium. I gained 30lbs in about one month of starting it. My TSH is low now and Free T4 almost optimal but Free T3 still too low. CONS: packed on the fat which I cannot get off, raised blood pressure, does not help with constant fatigue.”

Anonymous January 23, 2012

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I've had great success on Levoxyl? I'm taking 0.137mcg and have virtually no side affects. Synthroid for me was horrible.”

jumpingamma September 23, 2011

For TSH Suppression: “I have hypothyrodism... still have thyroid. I quit taking Levoxyl for about 3 months. Felt good, in fact I had energy and did not have aches and pains or brain fogs. Was on 100 mg before, recently doctor put me back on 88 mg within a few hours the aches and pains were back and swelling of joints, muscle aches I know it may take a while for the medicine to balance out but surely there must be something better for those of us who suffer with these side effects, tired of the pain and tired of being tired.”

Anonymous July 3, 2011

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Levoxyl works great for me. Synthroid does not work for me.”

Anonymous March 31, 2011

For Hashimoto's disease: “Only on 75 mcg for three weeks, but have headaches, spine feels compressed, joints ache, muscle fatigue, sleep disorders, not to mention extreme hair loss, dry skin, oh yeah, forgetfulness. ”

Anonymous August 16, 2010

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about seven years ago, nine months after giving birth. I was so tired, losing hair, had terrible brain fog and was very irritable. My doctor placed me on Levoxyl 110. My symptoms went away fairly quickly (2 weeks) but then I started having panic attacks. She reduced me to 88mcg and the anxiety went away. I stayed on that dose for the next seven years. Though my blood work showed normal, I was still always cold, found it hard to wake up in the mornings and would feel lethargic after workouts. I convinced my new doctor to let me try the next higher dose - 100mcg. I feel so much better now. My feet are never cold, I don't lose hair and I am back to being a morning person. Blood work AND symptoms must be addressed.”

Dormarie July 31, 2010

For Underactive Thyroid: “I read that the proper time to take it is early in the morning before food. When I tried it this way I had the most horrible side effects of my life. The inside of my mouth, gums, tongue were burning up so I couldn't brush my teeth and my lips swelled up to twice the size. I had taken it before at night without this problem. So now I take it in the middle of the day after food and it is okay.”