Who makes Levoxyl and where is it manufactured?
Levoxyl is made by Pfizer, Inc, a pharmaceutical company located in New York, NY, USA. You can contact Pfizer at 1-800-TRY-FIRST (+1-800-879-3477), Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST, or online.
In May 2001 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Levoxyl (levothyroxine), a thyroid medicine that replaces a hormone normally produced by your thyroid gland.
Levoxyl is given when your thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone on its own. It helps to regulate your body's energy and metabolism. It is used:
- to treat hypothyroidism: (low thyroid hormone): this is a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone.
- in patients who need surgery and radioactive iodine therapy to treat a type of thyroid cancer.
Thyroid hormones, including Levoxyl, should not be used for the treatment of obesity or for weight loss.
- Levoxyl prescribing information. Pfizer, Inc. NY, NY. Accessed Sept. 16, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/021301s038lbl.pdf
Related medical questions
- Does levothyroxine cause weight gain or loss?
- Should you take your thyroid medication at night?
- What happens if you stop taking levothyroxine?
- How soon after taking levothyroxine can I take omeprazole?
- What can I eat for breakfast after taking levothyroxine?
- Can I take other medications with levothyroxine?
- Is Levoxyl a brand or a generic?
- Does levothyroxine cause hair loss?
- Can I lay down after I take levothyroxine?
- How long after taking levothyroxine can you drink milk?
- How long does levothyroxine stay in your system?
- Levoxyl Information for Consumers
- Levoxyl Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Levoxyl (detailed)